Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E03: Forced Hire

Aulty

When Amy hires Dina's nemesis Colleen, Dina blackmails Garrett into making Colleen's life a living hell. Jonah is forced to befriend Marcus in order to unionize the warehouse guys.

Original air date: October 10, 2019

This is the show I liked, though I didn't understand why Dina would act nice to Colleen when Dina doesn't pretend to like anyone. A lot happened in the 30 minutes, and it felt true to form.

I hope Colleen makes appearances and is not just talked about. And did I miss Glen the Robot? I thought he'd be a background character if nothing else.

• Love 10

I liked how they illustrated that Mateo really was damn good at his job. I'd kind of assumed that, just that he was too much of a snob to ever not be good at something. Really have no clue how his story will play out though. 

• Love 13

Garrett just can't keep it in his pants, can he? Trying to remember where I know Colleen from, she looks so familiar. Did Dina ever say why she hated her so much? OMG she's carrying around a bag of meth for just such occasions. 

Marcus trying desperately to be Jonah's friend was very similar to Jerry trying to connect with Garrett last week. He's in a band . . . by himself. LOL. 

I really liked Amy standing up to Dina and threatening to write her up in front of Colleen. She found her Achilles heel. 

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Trying to remember where I know Colleen from, she looks so familiar.

It was bothering me all through the episode so I looked her up and the actress Heidi Gardner is on SNL, but I don't think I've even seen her there. Finally I decided that she's familiar to me because she looks so much like Kristen Schaal.

Happy to see the return of the bizarre shopper scenes with guy who decides that in the middle of Cloud 9 is a great place to cut his toenails.

• Love 5

So we meet Colleen! I know there's humor in having her be innocuous and actually kind of cool, so Dina's hatred can reach maximum absurdity, but I would've preferred having some kind of reason for Dina disliking the woman enough to want to plant meth on her. Even if the reason itself was ridiculous. 

Genuine LOL at Amy going, "aw," and wanting to pat Jonah on the shoulder when he called himself tall, and then just walking away. This was a good episode for her in general, being firm with Dina as controlling the burgeoning Dina/Colleen/Garret triangle as well.

Mateo popping up at the store every once in a while makes sense for now, especially with Marcus staying at his aunt's house, but I do wonder what the long game is there.

Are they saving Sandra's wedding for sweeps?

17 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Colleen was Heidi Gardner from SNL.

• Love 5

At some point during this episode I began to wonder if Dina secretly got all her birds back and isn't telling anyone so she can continue to hold it over Garrett's head. Bird do home, after all, so it's not out of the question that at least some of them would have found their way back to her. I think it would be funny if Garrett or someone showed up unexpectedly at her apartment and discovered all the birds were back.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 8

I love the cut aways to weird customers doing weird things, it always seems like something that someone in retail really did see someone doing.

So we finally meet Colleen and she is just a nice normal person, which makes Dina's hatred of her both petty and kind of even more hilarious. I hope that she shows up again sometimes, or at least gets mentioned. 

Amy is really coming into her own as a manager which is great to see. Managing Dina is tough, and it seems like Amy has figured out a way to do it, more or less. I also loved when she patted Jonah on the arm when he called himself tall. Aww Jonah, No.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, fishcakes said:

It was bothering me all through the episode so I looked her up and the actress Heidi Gardner is on SNL,

OMG, yes, that's who it was!  I kept picturing her as one of the characters she plays on SNL (GOOP girl) but couldn't place it.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Heidi Gardener, from SNL...  it's depressing to me that she ONLY ever plays a particular style of "girlfriend" character, EVER.  Same voice, same mannerisms, same general vibe. EVERY TIME.

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Heidi Gardener, from SNL...  it's depressing to me that she ONLY ever plays a particular style of "girlfriend" character, EVER.  Same voice, same mannerisms, same general vibe. EVERY TIME.

Except when she's Tiffany Trump.

• LOL 3

So we finally meet Colleen and she is just a nice normal person, which makes Dina's hatred of her both petty and kind of even more hilarious.

Hmm, I don't remember Dina ever mentioning Colleen before this episode. If it's something that's been a running gag it went completely over my head.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Hmm, I don't remember Dina ever mentioning Colleen before this episode. If it's something that's been a running gag it went completely over my head.

It was in that episode where they had that steps challenge and the rivalry with the Belridge store got started because of Amy and Jonah creating those fake twitter accounts.

• Useful 2
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

OMG, yes, that's who it was!  I kept picturing her as one of the characters she plays on SNL (GOOP girl) but couldn't place it.

I wish they'd done more with her. She can be hilarious, but this was a pretty straightforward part. Maybe next time. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Lovecat said:

Did anyone catch the name on Amy’s nametag this week?

Remeny

I always look for Amy's name of the week.  It cracks me up that she continues to do it even after getting the manager job.

Edited by Sile
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, Sile said:

Remeny

I always look for Amy's name of the week.  It cracks me up that she continues to do it even after getting the manager job.

Lol. It makes sense, though. Imagine having to deal with the "let me speak to your manager" types. I hope the writers understand that Dina' s at her best when she isn't a cartoon.

• Love 1
On 10/11/2019 at 5:02 AM, Kiddvideo said:

This is the show I liked, though I didn't understand why Dina would act nice to Colleen when Dina doesn't pretend to like anyone.

I got the impression Dina thought both she and Colleen were being fake nice at each other, that the dislike is mutual and that's their thing.

• Love 4

I don't know if there's one planned but I had absolutely no interest in a Sandra's wedding episode. However, now that I know she's going to walk down the aisle to "The Hamster Dance," I NEED one!

Edited by Scout Finch
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3

I enjoyed this one a lot more then others in a long time. I was kind of in the middle in regards to the bag of meth Dina had kept from what I guess was another in store incident and her wanting Garrett to plant it so it looked like it had fallen out of Colleen's pocket. I know it's a comedy with out there story angles a lot of the time which I usually roll with. 

My family has 3 nemesis for no apparent reason other than other family members have declared them the enemy. My favorite one is this kid who works at the neighborhood grocery store that my husband calls a "grinning idiot." This episode was hilarious to me because I'm living it

• LOL 6
  • Love 6
On 10/11/2019 at 1:23 PM, tennisgurl said:

I love the cut aways to weird customers doing weird things, it always seems like something that someone in retail really did see someone doing.

I’ve been bingeing this series and based on my experience at Wal-Mart, I truly believe these are based on real situations. They’re my favorite part of the show. 

• Love 3

Thank God Amy stood up to Dina early on. I don't think I could have stood for Dina being terrible after the last episode. Amy was great this episode overall.

Got a good laugh out of Marcus' desperation to be friends with Jonah. I don't enjoy malice but characters obliviously making life harder on other characters is totally fine.

• Love 3