Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: French Country in Texas?

Wish I could believe that they're concerned with the participant's finances but I just don't, racked.  If they were, I don't believe we'd hear our favorite phrase "all-in budget" constantly!  The numbers don't lie, IMHO.  (See above, if you're interested.)  Reality television producers, OTOH  ???  They're focused on creating good television, earning ratings and scoring another season.

You may be correct about the first season, however.  IIRC, they did a few smaller renovations with lower $$$.  Wouldn't surprise me if the producers prefer larger renovations with (hopefully) more drama.  They must have received an avalanche of applications and it appears they selected Mcmansions! 

WRT the home's other spaces, the budget doesn't include those rooms.  The homeowners would need to either contract with Magnolia (or other contractors) separately or DIY those spaces.  That's right, more $$$ out-of-pocket, invested in their home.

Historically, your home is not always the best place to have your $$$ tied up.  (IMHO)

Edited by aguabella

Joanna had a blog post near the beginning of the first season that addressed the extra spaces. Sometimes they were done as part of the major renovation, but they weren't featured on TV. Sometimes the participants didn't have the extra money to do it, so they lived with them as is.

It's always been the HGTV party line over the years that the extra spaces were done but the truth's come out that they're not.  And, yes, the participants do need to cough up extra cash to take care of them.

Personally, I always hope that they only need surface treatment but who knows?  Plus the homeowners might want to standardize certain items, e.g. flooring, for consistency throughout the home.  If certain materials aren't purchased simultaneously, if's impossible to obtain the proper color shades due to varied dye lots, etc.

When they're touring, it'd be nice to see the other spaces b/c otherwise, it's difficult / impossible to get a feel for the homes' floorplans.  In this last home, I couldn't determine if removing sf from the master bedroom was their best option to enlarge the master bath.  Or, was there another space that could have been converted to a master, including an en suite?

Also on this last home, I noticed photos of the sunroom but no other rooms on the blog.  Jo said something about Chip and the f/p relocation.  Sorry but does anyone believe that Chip touched so much as a single brick of that thing?  In reality TV, if they didn't shoot it and air it, it didn't happen!  (JMHO based on what I've seen over the years.)

Do you have a link to the blog posting you were referring to, Saylii?  (Thanks, in advance.)

Edited by aguabella

No link since the redesign of the blog. I'll try to find it, but there doesn't look to be any kind of easy archives anymore.

Thanks, Saylii.  Hmmm, redesign so must have been something on the HGTV (?) blog.  Sounds like the party line.

For this show, I usually find better info and photos, in general, on Jo's personal blog.

BTW, speaking of photos, that's another thing that's always been funny about their supposed (not) completion of the remainder of these homes.  If they didn't have time to shoot and air them, why not post photos?  Jo's blog included the sunroom / patio but nothing else.

I am not seriously thinking of moving to Waco but I was there last month for business. Baylor is definitely what the downtown part of the city revolves around. The Silos are about 5 minutes away from the school. I went a week after it opened and the place was packed. By the way the store is next to the actual silos not in them. I'm not sure what they are planning for the actual silos if anything at all.

Thanks for the info, IDJ49!  Interesting to hear - frequently college towns have a cool downtown and separate, distinct personality apart from their school.  Sounds like BU's their main game.

Have noticed recently that Waco may have a fairly high crime rate for a city of its size.  Sounds like the participants' neighborhood choices are significant for that reason.  Will link an article or site if I see a good one.

Was tonight a new episode? The one where they renovate their bed and breakfast? I thought they butchered that home. I love shiplap but so much of it and the style made it way more modern than a house that age should have been. The staircase was horrid and knocking down the wall made it look worse than when there was a big (lovely) hallway. And if it isn't white on white on white it's white on gray on white. This episode annoyed me more than any others. I love watching Chip and Jo but what they did to that house made me want to throw something at the TV.

• Love 3

Yes, it was a new episode. I thought it was pretty, but not very practical for a B&B. If I understood correctly, the two downstairs bedrooms shared a bath and you had to go into the hallway to get to the bath. Not only the hallway, but it seemed like from the front bedroom you actually had to walk into the entrance which was open to the living room. Not sure people are going to want to walk by the living room in their bathrobe.

Also, it appeared to me that the second floor bedroom was completely open to the stairwell (like a loft) with no door. And the stairwell was open to the living room on the first floor, so no privacy at all. I would never feel comfortable in a bedroom that didn't have a locked door.

I think it might be nice place to stay for a family if they rented the entire house, but I can't imagine wanting to share the spaces with strangers.

• Love 3

The B&B was nice but kinda small for several different families/couples to be staying at. I thought the stairs were too modern for the farmhouse look that Jo was going for. Also, did a miss a front desk or check-in spot? How does someone know where to go or check-in or out?

New drinking game: Everytime Joanna says she is going to be working late and that it helps that the kids stop by. Okay! We get the point. You're great! LOL!!

Edit to add: both sets of parents look nice and young. Or maybe, I'm getting old at 51 with no kids. Merry Christmas everyone!

• Love 5

https://magnoliamarket.com/magnolia-house-blog/

Apparently it's meant to house the fans who visit the area to go to her store.

I've stayed in B&B's where my assigned bathroom was down the hall, and that's a PITA.

I liked the way the B&B looked, but I wonder if Joanna has ever stayed in one? The bedroom right by the front door is going to be noisy; having to walk out into the main living area in order to access what is also the common area bathroom is off-putting. The bedroom with the two twin beds is a little too princessy for, say, two adults who want to share a room to save costs. Not to mention that all that white is going to be a bitch to keep clean.

That second floor, with both an open stairway and an elevator (per the construction plans) that opens right into it? Uh-uh. No privacy and not even an illusion of security.

No front desk area; no staff area; the books in the "library nook" should be a variety of fiction and non-fiction, not a bound set of books put there as a style choice. Guests, especially kids, wandering through the kitchen, while homey, could be a liability issue when hot pots and pans are in use.

Who's going to run this? Who's going to cook the breakfast? Who's going to clean?

• Love 6

I just knew when I saw that lovely late-1800s house that Joanna and Chip would totally ruin it, especially when she said she wanted transform it into her "farmhouse" style. She transformed it all right--from gracious to gaudy. I'm appalled that they removed the fancy scroll work on the porches, which totally stripped any character from them.

One thing you don't want to do in a B&B is have a large cased opening between the dining room and kitchen. Guests really don't want to see you cooking and doing dishes. Plus, you don't want guests wandering into the kitchen--that could be a liability and not really sanitary.

Those bedskirts that "pool" onto the floor around the beds are a major trip hazard. Adding a glass transom over the door of the downstairs bedroom was a poor choice. If the occupants of that room want to retire before other guests, the light from the living room will be a major annoyance. And no window coverings in a first floor bedroom?

• Love 4

She did not make a B&B but a VRBO. It looks like it was made for family reunions or for Game Days/Homecomings. There is nothing in MacGregor TX to draw you there. There wasn't even a blind or curtain on the front bedrooms windows! I know I wouldn't sleep in there.

Who is going to rent this place? There seems to be nowhere for an onsite host to stay-that's how most B&B's work.

• Love 4

She said on Twitter that you would have to rent the whole house not just a room. Not sure how that will work out in the long run.

Seriously? That should be a real success. Definitely not your typical B&B. I wonder if she expects guests to cook their own breakfast.

Any idea what the rental rate is?

• Love 1

She said on Twitter that you would have to rent the whole house not just a room. Not sure how that will work out in the long run.

Seriously? That should be a real success. Definitely not your typical B&B. I wonder if she expects guests to cook their own breakfast.

Any idea what the rental rate is?

I'm sure it would be more akin to renting a hse in the Hamptons , condo in FL, HI -  you do your own cooking etc while staying there.

I think calling it a B & B is a bit of a misnomer.

Edited by sheetmoss
  • Love 2

Well, if HGTV won't air Sarah Richardson anymore I'm glad we have Chip & Joanna. My favorites have been Sarah, Candice Olson (although she packed the rooms with so much crap) and, now Chip & Joanna. I just like how she mixes the old with the new. I didn't care for the B&B though. Hopefully, they don't overextend themselves or HGTV waters them down with 5 different shows & formats. Don't change Fixer Upper.

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 1

I watched the "B&B" episode in total confusion. I typically love Chip and Jo's renovations, but this just seemed all wrong, and her farmhouse style did not fit with the aesthetic of the house. Plus the layout was awkward, and that kitchen looked awfully cramped for a business that will be cooking for guests. I mean, if it were a true B&B. 

*sigh*

And those exterior shots were TIGHT, but they couldn't hide that the house looked like it was in some sort of industrial/business area of the town, and again, total confusion. I kept wondering throughout the entire episode if the tourism economy of MacGregor could support this venture. If so, they would have been better off going for a true B&B or maybe even a hotel.

This episode was a bust, and I was bored and annoyed with the family filler and not even being given a clue as to how much something like this cost. I'm here to watch Chip and Jo design dream homes for nice families, not to see them get richer and buying up investment properties. 

• Love 7

I watched the "B&B" episode in total confusion. I typically love Chip and Jo's renovations, but this just seemed all wrong, and her farmhouse style did not fit with the aesthetic of the house. Plus the layout was awkward, and that kitchen looked awfully cramped for a business that will be cooking for guests. I mean, if it were a true B&B. 

I agree.   They took an historic house and removed everything historic about it.   I think the house was beautiful when they were done, but I thought they would "RESTORE" the house to it's glory days.  I, too, am wondering who would rent that out?   How much it would cost?   I live in PA about 30 miles outside of Philadelphia and there are a lot of old beautiful bed and breakfast places here that are quaint and historic.   I've been to a few in Cape May, NJ about a 90 min drive that are gorgeous.  

It was bit of an odd show.  I can't imagine how much that renovation cost.  

• Love 2

You know what would have been awesome? If Nicole must-keep-every-bit-of-original-house-no-matter-what Curtis had worked on this house with them. What fun that would have been.

• Love 4

Weren't they all standing at the entry way of the bathroom upstairs? I'm not sure if it was a master bath or in the hallway. Overall, it looks like this has gotten bad reviews from this thread. It just doesn't scream B&B. It was too small and too exposed. Although, it appears that she later explained via Twitter that it's really for one family. So, it's basically a B&B disguised as a condo. I have liked all of their stuff but I was so unimpressed by this. Oddly enough, they didn't disclosed the budget other than what they bought it for, right?

Who wants a short term vacation rental in Waco? Is it a college town? People renting in college towns short term are usually looking for affordable digs, not some glorified B&B. No offense to Waco, but it's not a tourist destination.

Are there really "fans of the show" who would travel to Waco to meet a real estate agent and interior designer?

• Love 1

What a weird renovation. It sure seems more like a second home that they will sometimes rent out rather than a B&B. And if the house itself was close to 200k to buy they had to have invested quite a bit in this.

I too wished they'd renovated it and kept the Victorian style.

• Love 2

Who wants a short term vacation rental in Waco? Is it a college town? People renting in college towns short term are usually looking for affordable digs, not some glorified B&B. No offense to Waco, but it's not a tourist destination.

Are there really "fans of the show" who would travel to Waco to meet a real estate agent and interior designer?

And it's not even in Waco, it's in McGregor, which is about 20 minutes away, I think Joanna said. Just another small Texas town, no particular reason to go there. Even if it's just used for family visits, who wants to be 20 minutes away?

So the Gaines are now involved in:

Magnolia Homes (new builds)

renovation of old homes for TV show

HGTV show

Silo project

Magnolia store at silo

B&B in McGregor

Flour. Jo will soon be selling JoJo Flour, per her blog

What have I left out? Does it seem they're over-extending themselves? Good for them if they can keep all this up and raise 4 kids too. Personally, I think they "ruined" the B&B house. They modernized it too much, made changes where they shouldn't have, and were still left with a very awkward floor plan. And just because you know a metal worker who can make a great stair railing doesn't mean you should. That banister didn't go with the house at all. <rant over>

• Love 3

No front desk area; no staff area; the books in the "library nook" should be a variety of fiction and non-fiction, not a bound set of books put there as a style choice.

That looked like a strip of cardboard to me.

When Chip stated that they wanted to give people the feeling of what it would be like to stay in their home, I was floored, not just because he thinks that people are so "star"-struck that they'd want to stay there to feel closer to them, but because he might be right. People follow JoJo's blog, I suppose their Facebook page, and who knows what else. Gotta give this couple credit for cashing in on their celebrity. They'll land on their feet, I'm sure. I can't imagine them crashing and burning like some other reality series stars. (Well, actually, I can, and it's funny to think of the possibilities.)

I wondered if they will pick up business from Baylor Football/Basketball fans. Kim Mulkey consistently has good teams. Or for the school's recruitment program. I can't help but think that Baylor will be a major source of income.

Whoever thinks that Waco and McGregor, Texas aren't destination points, have never mastered the fine art of watching grass grow. Don't turn your nose up to things you haven't tried. And haven't you people every heard of pieds–à–terre? Sometimes you just gotta leave the hustle and bustle of farm life. Or is this where they go to enjoy the hustle and bustle? It's a bit confusing.

Edited by mojito
  • Love 1

And it's not even in Waco, it's in McGregor, which is about 20 minutes away, I think Joanna said. Just another small Texas town, no particular reason to go there. Even if it's just used for family visits, who wants to be 20 minutes away?

HGTV show

Silo project

Magnolia store at silo

B&B in McGregor

JoJo Flour?

OK, that's what I get for reading her blog so quickly. I really thought it was going to be bags of flour. You're right - it's a bakery called Magnolia Flour. I think I would have gone with a more traditional name, like Magnolia Bakery!

Good for them - they've seem to have a business plan that is working for them. In looking at their website on the so called B&B, she says they wanted to recreate their farmhouse, so they clearly had no intention of restoring it. In looking at the redo on their website, I still don't see a bathroom on the second floor. Your wonderful deluxe rental opportunities for this envious property will become available in 2016.

In looking at the redo on their website, I still don't see a bathroom on the second floor.

I see a bath on the floorplan on the website :

https://magnoliamarket.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/floorplan.jpg

I agree with above messages that this is not really a B&B, it is more a vacation rental for a whole family. This makes it slightly less awkward to have the bathroom in the middle of the floor plan downstairs and not connected to any bedroom.

• Love 1

you know what, when the show first came on i was ok with the first couple episodes but now i am beginning to think HGTV is responsible for overexposure of some of their talent to the point where they become extremely annoying to watch..

same thing with property brothers....

i just change the channel now...

• Love 4

you know what, when the show first came on i was ok with the first couple episodes but now i am beginning to think HGTV is responsible for overexposure of some of their talent to the point where they become extremely annoying to watch..

same thing with property brothers....

i just change the channel now...

Right there with you. I love Fixer Upper during its 1st season. Then when the 2nd season started, I couldn't believe how amped up Chip had become; he is totally annoying now. And every reno looked the same.

So now I don't watch it at all. Same with the over-exposed Property Brothers shows.

• Love 3

HGTV show

Silo project

Magnolia store at silo

B&B in McGregor

What have I left out? Does it seem they're over-extending themselves? Good for them if they can keep all this up and raise 4 kids too. Personally, I think they "ruined" the B&B house. They modernized it too much, made changes where they shouldn't have, and were still left with a very awkward floor plan. And just because you know a metal worker who can make a great stair railing doesn't mean you should. That banister didn't go with the house at all. <rant over>

They are apparently launching a furniture line. You know, the chairs that go with giant clocks and rusted schoolhouse fittings.

This whole show made me skeevy. Making the kids recite their "blessings" and dragging their parents into it. Chip's dad has lost a lot of weight since they found his brick.

• Love 5

Could Magnolia Flour be a play on words for Magnolia FLOWER? I just started watching this show a few weeks ago and finally have myself caught up with old episodes. Yes, there is a big difference between Chip now and then, isn't there? I am not talking about his teeth either! I still like him and the show as a whole but every time my husband walks in the room he changes the channel when it's on. He cannot stand the couple cutesy stuff and likens them to Giada and her (NOW DIVORCED) hubby! I hope they are genuine and that will not happen to them too when fame takes over.

• Love 4

I spent the entire episode feeling rather lost, wondering who was going to staff their Bed & Breakfast. I have a friend who ran one for 10 years, and she described it as a job that took 14 hour days, 7 days a week.  Like many of you, I also wondered about bathroom and sleeping arrangements, and why you would want an open kitchen floorplan? 

My soul recoiled when Jo announced that the house "reads Victorian, but I want it to be Farmhouse!".  It didn't just "read" Victorian, it WAS a Victorian house.  Now it's neither.  Jo did a great job with a MCM house last year, but other than that has not bothered to stretch herself at all.  It would have been lovely for her to restore this house in Victorian style.

Coming hear and reading that the home is a vacation rental rather than a B&B was a relief, in that I just couldn't figure out how the B&B was going to work. 

But then there's the location.  I played around and located the house at around 347 S. Madison in McGregor, and the neighborhood seems mixed use, with some homes, but mostly light industrial/commercial. There does seem to be a small park of sorts across the street, but the location in general doesn't seem very desirable.  Hopefully this link to the Google street view will work. https://www.google.com/maps/@31.4385161,-97.4067963,3a,75y,244.03h,77.6t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1seSI8io06yTJ0GzFrZeyDig!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Is Jo a great baker?  Because I watched her bake a pan of pretty deplorable Christmas cookies last night. Why a bakery?  That's a tough business to make a go of, and requires a lot of time invested, which I don't think they have.

• Love 1

I just realized the B&B is that awesome old house they showed a previous client. It looked completely different, and not in a good way. That house needed an update that preserved most of the original vision, but it got a gut job. Like someone said up thread, Fuck. Ship lap. I can't even with the staircase debacle and opening up of the main hall.

• Love 3

I agree that it really isn't a "B&B" and now I doubt  that they're going to be advertising it as such.  I found this that (if this has already been posted, I apologize) explains more clearly the intention.  I think the draw will be "Baylor" and the Fixer Upper curious.  It'll be interesting to see the rental rates.

http://www.wacoheartoftexas.com/visitors/lodging/magnolia-house/

Edited by Twiz44

I checked out that link to the street view of the new non B&B, non Victorian FARM HOUSE remodel and those storage garages across the street next to the gazebo and park? That is the volunteer fire dept. and right next door to the home is the police dept. So, not really a bad location. It reminds me of Mayberry and Andy Griffith! I actually liked the house the way they did it, since I am not a period home style buff. It is just an extension of their actual farm style.

Judging what they charge for stuff on their website, I can only imagine how much they'll charge to spend a night in that house. But looking at the street view, why would anyone spend that kind of money to look at those views?

• Love 2

I checked out that link to the street view of the new non B&B, non Victorian FARM HOUSE remodel and those storage garages across the street next to the gazebo and park? That is the volunteer fire dept. and right next door to the home is the police dept. So, not really a bad location. It reminds me of Mayberry and Andy Griffith! I actually liked the house the way they did it, since I am not a period home style buff. It is

just an extension of their actual farm style.

It's not a bad area for crime, etc, but the location is not desirable for a vacation rental. That's why I assumed the people who looked at it in an earlier episode passed and chose the house on a desirable street. It's sort of just there with small town sprawl around it. The location is ugly.

• Love 1

Well, if HGTV won't air Sarah Richardson anymore I'm glad we have Chip & Joanna. My favorites have been Sarah, Candice Olson (although she packed the rooms with so much crap) and, now Chip & Joanna.

I do like Chip and Joanna, but HGTV needs to bring on some new talent.  Everyone is old news and overexposed at this point, and we have no true designers left.  I need to write a long letter to HGTV with many complaints and suggestions.  (LOVE Sarah Richardson, who is the best.  If anyone knows if she is still on TV somewhere, let us know)

• Love 1

When Chip stated that they wanted to give people the feeling of what it would be like to stay in their home, I was floored, not just because he thinks that people are so "star"-struck that they'd want to stay there to feel closer to them, but because he might be right. People follow JoJo's blog, I suppose their Facebook page, and who knows what else. Gotta give this couple credit for cashing in on their celebrity. They'll land on their feet, I'm sure. I can't imagine them crashing and burning like some other reality series stars. (Well, actually, I can, and it's funny to think of the possibilities.)

Well, the "star struck" fan thing might be an actuality. I happened to look at the Facebook page for Flip or Flop and saw this comment: "So tired of same shows all the time. Only good one now is Fixer Upper. Love Chip and Joanna." Sadly, the Fixer Upper fans have left numerous similar posts on the Flip or Flop page. So rude, but that is apparently the Fixer Upper fan base.

I was also stunned when I heard Chip say that staying in that B&B, VRBO, or whatever, would be like staying in their farmhouse. What an ego trip for the Gaines duo! Based on hearing that before the work started, I shuddered to think of how they would remove all the character from that lovely old Victorian in order to entice their fans to pay big bucks to stay there. Guess I was right.

Edited by CruiseDiva