Type keyword(s) to search

Book vs. Series: On The Shelf

• Start Topic

Yeah.  I go to Reddit to get updates on Bridgerton and many are not happy about it.

I hope it's all being blown out of proportion but the actress who plays Edwina saying that she falls for Anthony is sort of unsettling.

And I have to admit, I did not like the changes they made to Anthony's story in Season 1.  They have to be really careful not to mess up his story more by making him overly wishy washy.  

1 hour ago, Door County Cherry said:

Yeah.  I go to Reddit to get updates on Bridgerton and many are not happy about it.

I hope it's all being blown out of proportion but the actress who plays Edwina saying that she falls for Anthony is sort of unsettling.

And I have to admit, I did not like the changes they made to Anthony's story in Season 1.  They have to be really careful not to mess up his story more by making him overly wishy washy.  

Wait, what? I thought the love triangle bit came down to Anthony thinking he should want Edwina and not willing to admit he wants Kate.

The EW makes it sound like Anthony has feelings for both women (WHICH IS THE WORST YOU DONT DO A LOVE TRIANGLE WITH SISTERS). 

But another article I read is more head v heart. Crossing my fingers that’s it. 

• Love 6

I hope they get Pall Mall right. Yeah, it shows how bonkers the Bridgertons are and that Kate fits right in. But it also is one of the scenes that really highlights that Anthony is not the immature jerk Kate wants to think he is. He's all competitive during Pall Mall, but immediately switches off afterwards. Showing that he's not actually puffed up about inconsequential things and doesn't have a fragile ego etc. Which ties into all the various other surrounding scenes that show that he's kind, caring and responsible. 

And yeah... I hope "love triangle" is just exaggerated for PR. Anthony does like Edwina and he thinks it's the sensible thing to marry her. If you want to get some scandalous PR for your show going, I guess that qualifies as "love triangle" in the broadest terms. ;-)

• Love 6

I think I would almost object to Edwina falling for Anthony more. Just no. She was like an involved spectator to the Anthony/Kate show. I don't think there was anyone more chuffed than she was once they were caught.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, GaT said:

I've never read the books, but you people are making me nervous LOL

So am I. I never head the books either. Anthony was such a jerk in season one it's hard to imagine rooting for any woman to end up with him. Hopefully, he'll improve in season two but right now all I can think its Edwina and Kate can both do so much better.

The problem is that book 2, Anthony and Kate's book, is one of the best, if not the best, in the series. 

And the first book was one of the dullest.  So they needed to "pump" up the story for the first season.  That means adding stories and changing some characters a bit.  They changed Anthony, I guess, to either make his arc fuller or to give Simon and Daphne a bit more of an antagonist whereas in the book he was in on it. 

And they outright stole from Book 2 to make Daphne and Simon a bit more interesting.  Simon, for instance, didn't ever say "I burn for you."  That was a line from book 2.  (As reading elsewhere has reminded me.)

I'm not nervous about the source material.  It's awesome.  I worry for the unnecessary changes they'll make to the source material while leaving in some of the more questionable stuff--like Daphne forcing Simon to ejaculate in her. 

• Love 9

Yeah, IMO they didn't always show the best judgement about what to adapt in the first season. Bailey is a really strong actor who managed to salvage some questionable writing for the character. The "problem" for the second season might become that they try to doctor strong source material (I think the second book is the best in the whole series) and weaken it in the process. The drama and characterization is strong enough, adding superfluous stuff might damage it. 

Edited by katha
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

The problem is that book 2, Anthony and Kate's book, is one of the best, if not the best, in the series. 

And the first book was one of the dullest.  So they needed to "pump" up the story for the first season.  That means adding stories and changing some characters a bit.  They changed Anthony, I guess, to either make his arc fuller or to give Simon and Daphne a bit more of an antagonist whereas in the book he was in on it. 

And they outright stole from Book 2 to make Daphne and Simon a bit more interesting.  Simon, for instance, didn't ever say "I burn for you."  That was a line from book 2.  (As reading elsewhere has reminded me.)

I'm not nervous about the source material.  It's awesome.  I worry for the unnecessary changes they'll make to the source material while leaving in some of the more questionable stuff--like Daphne forcing Simon to ejaculate in her. 

34 minutes ago, katha said:

Yeah, IMO they didn't always show the best judgement about what to adapt in the first season. Bailey is a really strong actor who managed to salvage some questionable writing for the character. The "problem" for the second season might become that they try to doctor strong source material (I think the second book is the best in the whole series) and weaken it in the process. The drama and characterization is strong enough, adding superfluous stuff might damage it. 

During season 1, they could have had the actors do absolutely nothing but stand & stare at the camera & as long as one of the actors was Regé-Jean Page, the show would still have been a big hit. IMO, season 2's problem is Jonathan Bailey just does not have the sex appeal or looks of Regé-Jean Page. No matter what changes they make to the source material, that is what their big problem is.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, GaT said:

During season 1, they could have had the actors do absolutely nothing but stand & stare at the camera & as long as one of the actors was Regé-Jean Page, the show would still have been a big hit. IMO, season 2's problem is Jonathan Bailey just does not have the sex appeal or looks of Regé-Jean Page. No matter what changes they make to the source material, that is what their big problem is.

If this were true, why wasn't For The People a massive, runaway success? It had both RGP and Shonda as a writer.  

This show was a success because few romance books are adapted into TV shows.  Very few. Hell, this might be the first.  And yet, it's the most popular publishing genre.  And since RGP was featured in that first season, he got to ride that initial wave of success. 

People's opinions vary on sexual attractiveness but I, for one, think Jonathan Bailey is fine as hell.  Personally, I've found scenes he has done in a comedy before sexier than anything that happened in Bridgerton last season.  Part of that might be my disdain for overly choreographed/"perfect" love scene montages so I might still feel he did sexier stuff in the past but I do think he's sexy.   He's also a good actor. 

So I think the show will be just fine as long as they don't around with his character more than they already have. 

• Love 9

Re a possible "love triangle." This EW article makes a point of talking about the strong bond between Kate and Edwina, so I think it may stay true to the book. Anthony is courting Edwina, after all, because she meets all of his requirements - including not having any spark with her. He likes Edwina because he thinks she'll make the perfect wife; he wants Kate because he's attracted to her. So if they stick to that, I can see how it could be considered a "love triangle."

I just hope they stick to Edwina really wanting to marry her bookish, scholar guy.

• Love 4

Since the actor who plays Simon is not going to be in Season 2, they can easily substitute Benedict in and tweak some of the dialog… Daphne’s not going to have much to do since that was the only scene she was in unless they are going to include her in some of the ballroom scenes. There is an Epilogue #2 that Julia Quinn wrote which is a Pall Mall rematch-I wonder if they’ll include that at the end?

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, bijoux said:

Who's Benjamin?

Oops, it’s Benedict…thank you PatsyandEddie!  Second son. The Bridgertons are named in alphabetical order: Anthony, Benedict, Colin, Daphne, Eloise, Francesca, Gregory, and Hyacinth.

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Since the actor who plays Simon is not going to be in Season 2, they can easily substitute Benjamin in and tweak some of the dialog… Daphne’s not going to have much to do since that was the only scene she was in unless they are going to include her in some of the ballroom scenes. There is an Epilogue #2 that Julia Quinn wrote which is a Pall Mall rematch-I wonder if they’ll include that at the end?

Do you mean Benedict? He’s bro #2

I enjoy Jonathan Bailey’s acting  and think he’s quite good looking. I have no doubt this season will be just as wonderful as the first. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Oops, it’s Benedict…thank you PatsyandEddie!  Second son. The Bridgertons are named in alphabetical order: Anthony, Benedict, Colin, Daphne, Eloise, Francesca, Gregory, and Hyacinth.

Ah, okay. I agree, him having more involvement this season would ne a good way to introduce his season next.

• Love 1

Err, I've made the mistake to read some reviews and it all sounds a bit concerning tbh? They basically threw out the plot of the book and made up soap opera stuff of their own to unnecessarily draw everything out, it seems. A lot of complaining that Anthony and Kate just don't get together for too long, which makes it tiresome. Which is a bit what I feared, IMO it is the strongest book, and they showed pretty bad judgement already in the first season on what to include/exclude from the first novel. More's the pity that they seemingly threw out all plot and most of the characterization from the second, which is much stronger. 

Oh well, perhaps they'll prove me wrong and it won't be so bad. ;-)

• Love 2
On 3/22/2022 at 9:05 AM, katha said:

Err, I've made the mistake to read some reviews and it all sounds a bit concerning tbh? They basically threw out the plot of the book and made up soap opera stuff of their own to unnecessarily draw everything out, it seems. A lot of complaining that Anthony and Kate just don't get together for too long, which makes it tiresome. Which is a bit what I feared, IMO it is the strongest book, and they showed pretty bad judgement already in the first season on what to include/exclude from the first novel. More's the pity that they seemingly threw out all plot and most of the characterization from the second, which is much stronger. 

Oh well, perhaps they'll prove me wrong and it won't be so bad. ;-)

I am concerned that they are going to make Edwina interested in Anthony vs in the book she was basically going through the motions and was only allowing him to court for the family.  It also looks like Lady Danbury is taking the place of the step-mother in the book which will also make me sad.

The reason the book worked so well was the sister's genuine love and them wanting Edwina to have a true love match and it seems like there is a love triangle and that's so far from the truth.  

I am hoping we are wrong.  This was my favorite book of the series and they are scaring me.

• Love 4

They went and f**ked it up by making Edwina love Anthony and Eloise fall in love with a kid from the print shop. And I had such hopes that they might follow the book for Eloise.

I guess now I'm watching it just for the rock and roll performed by string quartet.

Edited by NeenerNeener

I don't think Edwina loved Anthony, but unlike the book she really wanted to marry him. I mean, it's definitely true this is inspired by the book. Listing the differences would take as long as watching the season probably.

• Love 4

Starting ep 5. Edwina and Antony were never engaged. Her heart actually belonged to an academic she met during the season, IIRC. She was just going along with what everyone wanted. In this era, you can't break off an engagement without ruining the lady's reputation, and it would be insane for him to wind up with the sister. Don't remember the Prudence storyline. Need to reread.

• Love 1

So I didn't get my wish to see Sophie show up at one of the balls and interact with Benedict. What this season did do was lay the groundwork for the class conflict that the characters face so I'm even more certain that will be the main focus of their story in season 3. I hope we still get a time jump of a few years so that Francesca has married and little Edmund is born. If not then let Francesca be the new deb on the scene but have a smooth courtship and wedding with John in contrast to Benedict dealing with his feelings for Sophie. 

• Love 4

I do not like many of the changes made from the books.  They were unnecessary changes.  And even though.  And I feel like they wasted what they had.  Maybe I'll like it better upon rewatch but since they improved the first book, I was hoping they could do the same with the second.

4 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

I hope we still get a time jump of a few years so that Francesca has married and little Edmund is born. If not then let Francesca be the new deb on the scene but have a smooth courtship and wedding with John in contrast to Benedict dealing with his feelings for Sophie. 

They don't need to jump ahead.  That's the one good thing about making changes.  I think Francesca's romance with her husband can play in the background of one of these seasons before her actual love story takes center stage. But if they're going to go in order, I don't see that happening until Colin & Penelope's season.  

I wonder if they're going to eventually start combining books.  There's no way Netflix is going to let this go 8 seasons.  

5 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

I wonder if they're going to eventually start combining books.  There's no way Netflix is going to let this go 8 seasons.  

Yeah, the Netflix model now is to cancel a series after 3 seasons, no matter how popular the series is. Supposedly they've decided they've already captured as much of the US market as they can get and now it's time to focus on creating content for international viewers to expand their overseas markets. So next season maybe they'll marry off the next oldest Bridgerton brother and Eloise, and maybe Colin too, then call it quits. Francesca is still only mentioned in passing and the other 2 kids are too young anyway.

I think they might have already renewed the show for seasons 3 and 4, so I can definitely see it getting 4 seasons but I agree I can't really see it going longer than that.  There's no way it's lasting 8 seasons and continuing the 1 book 1 season route.

I find Benedict and Colin very dull and frankly kind of homely compared to super hot Simon and Anthony, so I'm not really interested in their romances.  Especially since Pen is a total psychopath and while Colin is boring, I think it's pretty gross that he would end up marring the poison pen writer who is has printed stuff that nearly brought about his family's ruin like three times.

But, I would imagine they would could combine Benedict, Colin and Eloise's romances over the next 2 seasons.  I'm not sure how old Francesca is supposed to be since she's never there, but maybe her too and then they can just leave out the younger ones.  Although since I gather Francesca is widowed before she meets her "true love", they would have to marry her off pretty soon if they stick to her book story.

I do wonder if they will change anyone's sexuality from the books so it's not all hetero couples in love.  The producers clearly want to be inclusive with the racially diverse casting and changing that up from the books, which is great.  With that many Bridgerton kids running around though surely odds are that at least one would be queer.  I agree with others who have said that Eloise and Pen would make the most sense based on how they have been written (certainly their scenes have much more passion and emotion  than Pen following Colin around like a meek little puppy), but they will probably stay with the "pining girl finally gets the object of her affection" thing.  Although, Colin was also vibing with the plant guy so they should just for it and have Colin and Eloise both be queer!

• Love 2

They are renewed for seasons three and four. Shonda has said during press rounds that they won't necessarily stick to book order, which a lot of people took to mean Colin comes before Benedict, but might mean they're combining them.

I actually really like show Benedict. He seems to be comfortable in his own skin even if he's unsure of what he wants to achieve and how to do it, and I find that quality very appealing.

Francesca is one year to the day younger than Eloise, so 17 now, and I think she marries in her first or second season if memory serves. That could play out concurrently with Benedict's story, and then jer second marriage combined in the season with Colin's and Eloise's stories. That wouldn't even be changing the books so much. 

I kind of really want to see the little ones find love too. It's not hard to do a time jump. I guess I just want to see the family really, and Kate and Anthony growing on the sidelines. Particularly since seeing an interview with Simone and Jonathan saying they plan on sticking around for future seasons and this season's ending being only the beginning of Kate and Anthony's story.

• Love 6

I work at a library and I wanted to share what the fabulous Julia Quinn did for us and other libraries. We are currently trying to build a foreign language collection of popular books. She very kindly donated her books in Polish for our collection. 

• Love 12

I may be in the minority here, but I am loving the changes in season 2.  The show may not be following the book, but it is incorporating other romance tropes--pining, stolen glances from across a ballroom,  the conflict between duty and love, and angst dialed up to eleven.   

• Love 9

2 hours ago, bijoux said:

I guess I just want to see the family really, and Kate and Anthony growing on the sidelines. Particularly since seeing an interview with Simone and Jonathan saying they plan on sticking around for future seasons and this season's ending being only the beginning of Kate and Anthony's story.

Oh, you have no idea how happy this makes me! I just posted in the final episode thread that I hope they stick around. Jonathan Bailey, in particular, is wonderful 😍 and the chemistry that he shares with Simone Ashley is what most shows can only dream of.

OK, the second book is the only one I have read (well, most of it…I stopped shortly after the wedding). I loved the idea of the book but not the execution. I was just not a fan of the author’s writing style and found it kinda cheesy. I had hopes that the show would fix many problematic things from the book, and they did. I am glad they excluded the part of the book where Kate is hiding under the desk while Anthony is getting frisky with Sienna (I think it was?). It was such a dick move when he kissed her and tossed the key to the ground. Also glad that they removed Kate’s debilitating fear of thunderstorms as that was just stupid. And oh god, the 🐝 scene in the show was so much better. There was no way that they could have had Anthony sucking the venom out of Kate’s chest without that scene being mocked for eternity.

Minor changes that bugged: I believe that Kate gave her permission/blessing for Anthony to marry Edwina in the book, and I don’t think? that happened here. I know Edwina mentioned it before she forced the two to dance (the dance right before Kate tells him she’s going to leave for India, and he is pissed), but I don’t believe Kate gives the OK. Also, Anthony brought Kate tulips after she recovered from her fall, but I would have liked to see that happen earlier, as in the books.

Changes I really really disliked: Anthony proposing to Edwina and making it to the alter. See, I think they fucked this up by seemingly cribbing things from Anthony’s story to give to Daphne and Simon. The show must not have wanted to do the whole “Kate and Anthony are caught in a compromising position and are forced to wed to avoid a scandal” thing since they basically did a version of that with Daphne and Simon. And then I hated that Kate and Anthony, unlike the books, slept together before marrying. Again, Simon and Daphne’s first time at that inn seemed like maybe that was taken from Kate and Anthony’s first time. And don’t even get me started on the show stealing Anthony’s “I burn for you” line and giving it to Daphne, shitheads. 

The show’s changes led to a version of Edwina that seemed much more interested in Anthony, which was annoying. Having Kate and Edwina at odds was shitty, as was Edwina pointing out that Kate was her “half-sister.”

I am not sure how I felt about the lily soap stuff. The first time show Anthony was smelling her (when Edwina is like “Have I been blind? Have they been like this the whole time?), he was subtle about it, and it was a cute little moment. It got a little weird when he was full-on sniffing the air, LOL.

Edited by SonofaBiscuit
  • Love 2

I am so happy to see the opinions here.  I felt like this season spent more time on other seasons or minor characters and hardly anything on Anthony and Kate.  Some of the changes make it almost impossible to follow the books (I do not see Eloise wanting Mr Plant, I do not see how Pen and Colin getting together will push Eloise to Mr Plant). It is not that it was bad, it was that it just had so many changes and took out the heart of Anthony's issue - which was he did not want his wife to love him because then when he died at a young age (what he thought would happen) she would not be in pain like his mother.

And way too many people know Pen's secret identity at this point!

Not bad but my excitement for Benedict is definitely lower now.  

Edited by Slakkie
Forgot a sentence
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, SonofaBiscuit said:

I am not sure how I felt about the lily soap stuff. The first time show Anthony was smelling her (when Edwina is like “Have I been blind? Have they been like this the whole time?), he was subtle about it, and it was a cute little moment. It got a little weird when he was full-on sniffing the air, LOL.

I took that as a romance reader Easter Egg.  Some many romances have this trope where one of the leads is intoxicated by the perfume or scent of the other lead. It's a romance staple.  I have seen countless Twitter threads on this topic.  

• Love 2

The only change I really minded was the courtship getting to the wedding and the changes to Edwina's character. But then I even get that. They removed Anthony's chief motivation of being convinced he'd die within a decade and Kate's selfdoubts shifting both of their focuses on obligations. This turn of events tortures them more so it even makes sense.

Chris Van Dusen talks about not wanting to repeat the marriage over being caught compromised after doing it with Simon and Daphne last year. I think it's with ET. I actually specifically remember saying last year that I couldn't imagine show Portia dithering about 'bubbies', so I thought it was a really great play on the book to incorporate it as Portia's set up and her outrage being faked. It was one of my favorite little catches from the book. You get where the inspiration came from even if they completely turned it over.

I also like how they updated Kate and Anthony. We all know what the biggest controversy was last season and I feel like they made this couple more aligned with modern sensibilities. 

• Love 3

“Mr. Plant” 🤣

Yeah, I knew that one of the books had a Sir Philip in the title, so I was confused when he ended up with Marina. Can’t believe that he’s destined for Eloise. Seems like a much better match for Colin or Penelope, seriously. 

I probably should not have read this book because I suspect that I wouldn’t have been bothered as much by how things played out. 

Edited by SonofaBiscuit
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, SonofaBiscuit said:

“Mr. Plant” 🤣

Yeah, I knew that one of the books had a Sir Philip in the title, so I was confused when he ended up with Marina. Can’t believe that he’s destined for Eloise. Seems like a much better match for Colin or Penelope, seriously. 

I probably should not have read this book because I suspect that I wouldn’t have been bothered as much by how things played out. 

I think if they make it to Eloise I would have no issue of switching out "Mr Plant". Honestly other than Eloise dealing with the monster children it was a snooze for me.  

• LOL 1

If they do want to start rearranging books then I would combine Benedict and Eloise. The main theme of his story with Sophie is their class difference and this season established the same for Eloise and Theo. Put both romances in the same season and really lean into the theme. I agree that I can't see show Eloise ever getting with show Philip so they may as well throw that out and focus on what they've already established with Theo. 

Given how little we've seen of Francesca I wouldn't be surprised if we open the next season with her wedding to John and then promptly leaving for their home. Maybe we see them again when he dies but that's it. It would at least be consistent with how uninterested they've been with her so far. I'd rather we get to know her a bit first so that we can mourn with her when John dies but I won't hold my breath.

• Love 2

I didn’t end up minding the whole getting to the altar thing because they really needed a reason why Anthony and Kate wouldn’t just get together. Nowadays, there would be no problem. Just date who you want! But back then, there was real scandal and repercussions with courting, calling off the wedding and then getting with the sister.  They needed the queen’s approval to even consider it as it turned out. And I liked how Edwina’s utter poise in the unfortunate scene with the king made the queen realize what a true diamond she was. And in the end she helped her out.

If Edwina is really in love with someone else the whole time there is nothing stopping Anthony and Kate and no real conflict at all.  That’s not terribly compelling to watch.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Slakkie said:

I am so happy to see the opinions here.  I felt like this season spent more time on other seasons or minor characters and hardly anything on Anthony and Kate.  Some of the changes make it almost impossible to follow the books (I do not see Eloise wanting Mr Plant, I do not see how Pen and Colin getting together will push Eloise to Mr Plant). It is not that it was bad, it was that it just had so many changes and took out the heart of Anthony's issue - which was he did not want his wife to love him because then when he died at a young age (what he thought would happen) she would not be in pain like his mother.

And way too many people know Pen's secret identity at this point!

Not bad but my excitement for Benedict is definitely lower now.  

I'm kind of thinking that.....if Eloise reaches out to Marina and develops a friendship with her....as a way to get back at Pen...maybe thats how she gets to know Sir Phillip? and if/when Marina passes...she starts talking to Sir Phillip? I haven't read past the first book yet....haven't gotten them....just speculating based on spoilers I've heard.

8 minutes ago, LadyChaos said:

I'm kind of thinking that.....if Eloise reaches out to Marina and develops a friendship with her....as a way to get back at Pen...maybe thats how she gets to know Sir Phillip? and if/when Marina passes...she starts talking to Sir Phillip? I haven't read past the first book yet....haven't gotten them....just speculating based on spoilers I've heard.

Spoiler

IIRC, She hears of Marina's passing and writes condolences from the family though they don't know she's doing it. She feels bad that no one has reached out and they become pen pals.

I'm upset because I LOVED book 2, and I feel like they bastardized it.  

Mr. Bagwell.  :( 

They could have easilly made kate/anthony drama without absolutely killing kate/edwina.  I was sorrowful.  We got 10 minutes (literally) of Kate and Anthony.  i hated it.  I guess it's an unpopular opinion.  

• Love 4
15 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

let Francesca be the new deb on the scene but have a smooth courtship and wedding with John in contrast to Benedict dealing with his feelings for Sophie. 

I love this idea.  

3 minutes ago, Meow25 said:

They could have easilly made kate/anthony drama without absolutely killing kate/edwina.  I was sorrowful.  We got 10 minutes (literally) of Kate and Anthony.  i hated it.  I guess it's an unpopular opinion.  

I would have been happy to have the Anthony/Edwina engagement called off and to lose the entire dumb episode where Edwina decides not to marry Anthony. That was just a waste, when we could have used that extra hour at season’s end to see Kate and Anthony’s first six months of marriage. I will trade the Queen spin-off for a Kate/Anthony spin-off that picks up from the garden proposal scene in episode eight (please and thank you).

• Love 5
3 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Given how little we've seen of Francesca I wouldn't be surprised if we open the next season with her wedding to John and then promptly leaving for their home. Maybe we see them again when he dies but that's it. It would at least be consistent with how uninterested they've been with her so far. I'd rather we get to know her a bit first so that we can mourn with her when John dies but I won't hold my breath.

I think this would work really well but I think part of the appeal of her book is that it's a friends to lovers thing--sort of like with Colin and Penelope, I guess.  Michael meets her when she gets married to his cousin so they'd have to introduce that character as well.  And since he'd be the male "lead" of his season, I guess they'd want to cast someone who may not be up for just a cameo here and there---although the Phillip actor sort of has done that so we'll see if he eventually becomes the lead.

Thematically, Eloise and Francesca's stories would match as well if they do the Phillip thing.  

• Love 2