Type keyword(s) to search

Book vs. Series: On The Shelf

• Start Topic

29 minutes ago, Atlanta said:
  Hide contents

IIRC, She hears of Marina's passing and writes condolences from the family though they don't know she's doing it. She feels bad that no one has reached out and they become pen pals.

I'm thinking of how it might be changed for the show...like in the show Eloise reaches out to Marina to tell her that Pen is LW.

I know it’s been years since I read the series, but I feel like TV Benedict has more of Colin’s book personality. I find Colin so dull in the show with no chemistry at all with Pen. I’m almost dreading their story if we get to it. 

• Love 9
7 minutes ago, DanaMB said:

I know it’s been years since I read the series, but I feel like TV Benedict has more of Colin’s book personality. I find Colin so dull in the show with no chemistry at all with Pen. I’m almost dreading their story if we get to it. 

Interesting observation. I truly do not like Colin’s obsession with Marina, who I really dislike, in he show.

• Love 8

I don’t know any of the other Bridgerton’s books, but I realized that I’m not sure I find any of the remaining siblings interesting enough that I would like to watch their story play out over an entire season. Benedict is charming and funny with his family, but anything outside of that bores me. Colin does not smolder and can’t bring the heat (bland bland bland), and Eloise’s best scenes are with her brother!

• Love 7

The show is building Colin and Pen to be the big romance. I have zero desire to see it. Not only the lack of chemistry but Colin is a teenybopper compared to Jonathan and Simon. 

• Love 8

I cannot imagine Colin in a sex scene at all. In fact, I can’t imagine him even kissing anyone passionately. He just doesn’t give off any sexual energy and he’s so bland and relatively homely. I think it’s made even worse by Penelope hero worshiping him for no discernible reason, as I find all their scenes super cringey and completely chemistry-free.

It also doesn’t help that Colin is completely useless. In that era a fully grown man who just bumbles around traveling, who doesn’t have any interests, doesn’t help at all with the running of the family estate, and helps himself to family funds for risky investments would be looked upon as a bit of a wastrel. He would have been forced into the army or something by now.

I think the problem with the next few seasons is that the romances will be pretty lacking compared to s1 and 2. Benedict - eh, Colin - just no, Eloise - maybe if they change it up because I can’t see her believably going for Marina’s husband (maybe she will go for Marina instead and they will kill off the husband lol), Francesca - maybe, although I couldn’t even pick her out of a line up now.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, bubble sparkly said:

I think the problem with the next few seasons is that the romances will be pretty lacking compared to s1 and 2. Benedict - eh, Colin - just no, Eloise - maybe if they change it up because I can’t see her believably going for Marina’s husband (maybe she will go for Marina instead and they will kill off the husband lol), Francesca - maybe, although I couldn’t even pick her out of a line up now.

This is why I find the Bridgertons series an odd choice. It’s very uneven in quality. I love the family dynamics but the romances are dull (with a couple exceptions). There are much stronger series out there. 

• Love 4

I liked book Colin and book Penelope; their book was one of my favorites in the series.

TV Colin and TV Penelope, were less than convincing this season, and not just because the show wanted me to believe that Colin was both one of the few people shrewd enough to check out gem mines in Georgia and oblivious enough not to notice that one brother was engaged to the wrong woman; one sister was heading out to a questionable neighborhood; another brother has a problem with a Latin teacher; another sister keeps vanishing for long lengths of time; and Penelope is head over heels in love with him.  Or because TV Penelope has done more questionable things as Lady Whistledown than book Penelope ever did.

The real problem, though, is that so far, Colin - supposedly the most charming and supportive of the Bridgertons - is the hands down most boring of the lot, and I'm including Gregory, who this season only got to play marbles, eat cake, and ask about his father (although that last scene was pretty good), and Francesca who is barely on screen and a complete cipher when she is on screen. 

Colin also has fewer issues/problems than pretty much everyone else on the show so far. except - and very arguably - Daphne and Lady Danbury. Anthony is dealing with the lingering trauma of watching his father die and having to be responsible for people; Benedict is dealing with artistic insecurities; Eloise with the restrictions of society; Francesca with not having a plot or a character; Gregory with Latin; the Queen with King George; and pretty much everyone else with financial worries or job issues. 

I know what book Colin's problem is. And show Colin does seem to have a bit of an issue in that he wants to be a hero and do something in the world - similar to book Colin - but otherwise, Colin has plenty of money, barely seemed bothered by the Bridgerton family scandals either season; gets to travel at whim; has plenty of friends....

....which is to say, this is a wealthy, extremely privileged white guy who isn't sure what to do with his life, and although that could be interesting, on this show it isn't so far, especially compared to everyone else.

And then the chemistry issue. I suspect some of this is deliberate - the actors had more chemistry in their scenes last season, and were probably told to keep it dialed down since Colin and Penelope won't be getting together until the end of season three or season four. But the end result is that they have less chemistry than any other couple this season, putting them far, far behind not just the sexy Duke and Kate/Anthony, but -

Behind Eloise and Penelope.

I don't think the show is planning on going there, if for no other reason than book readers will riot. But their last scene crackled, and I have to say that as of now, I think Eloise and Penelope make a better, more convincing couple than Colin and Penelope. We'll see if future seasons change my mind.

Meanwhile, the great puzzle: what exactly is the show doing with Francesca? I know she wasn't in the books that much, especially compared to the other siblings, but this season had several scenes where she probably should at least been around in the background, and wasn't.

• Love 8

I'm still processing how I feel about the changes they made to The Viscount Who Loved Me.  I actually liked aspects of this season more than last.  I was one of the people who was utterly unimpressed with the sexiness of Season One.  But then, I was never a fan of that book really at all and even the undeniable hotness of Regé-Jean Page couldn't change that.

I do think they did a better job in this season displaying the charm of the Bridgerton family and their interactions. This was true of the second book too.  In both cases, it was probably largely due to more of the story taking place during the courting rather than the marriage meaning the family was around more. And I thought they did a reasonably credible job portraying Anthony's trauma and the way it shaped his behavior toward his siblings and in seeking a wife. (I loved the scene with Gregory.)

On the other hand. I didn't love that they had Edwina actually wanting to marry Anthony or that it got as far as a wedding.  That change altered the dynamic between Edwina and Kate in a way I didn't like. Overall, though, I thought this season did more to remain closer to the tone of the books.

They seemed to tone down Lady Whistledown too. Setting aside last season's controversial disclosure of Marian's pregnancy,  Lady W's quips this season seemed more in line with the gentler ribbing of societal absurdities rather than biting venom. (Though, where were the Cressida set downs?)

I'm torn about the exposure of Eloise's political activities and meetings on the wrong side of the town. I get that Pen was trying to get the queen of Eloise's scent. But that was a major friend betrayal.  At least it's a thing that, barring other family scandal, would not do too much damage to Eloise in the long run. She is a bluestocking and claims not to want to be on the marriage mart. So as long as she didn't go too far, she'd be viewed more as an oddity than an outcast. Giving up he flirtation with the print shop boy notwithstanding.

I do wonder how they will try to go forward with Lady W in future seasons with Eloise knowing it's Pen. I doubt that Eloise would be vengeful enough to out her. But still.... It radically alters their dynamic and any possible future with Colin. (Hold that thought).

Speaking of a Season 3, assuming they are following the books, I'm a little glad they didn't introduce the Sophie plot now. I didn't hate that book,  But Benedict spending 2 years plus pining after a masked woman he met once made him seem like a lunatic stalker. Especially as he clung to the notion of this fantasy woman while Sophie was in his life.  It would be better if it was an end of Season moment and followed up the next Season. Comes off slightly less BSC.

I'm also concerned how much his art has been made a public part of his character. Unless I'm misremembering, his art being a bit of a private passion that Sophie sees and supports is part of their relationship. 

Finally, I agree with those above who had issues with the portrayal of Colin.  In the books, he's charming and often has a quip.  They seem to have given that trait to Benedict. Also, is it weird that I miss Colin constantly eating? In any case, he does seem like a bit of a non-entity. Granted, even in the books he was often traveling.  But when he was home he was more fun. And, yeah, it's going to take some work for me to find him sexy at all. (Although, the comment above about chilling the chemistry between him and Pen might be on to something.  They did seem to click more last season.) 

Edited by RachelKM
Typos
  • Love 9

After watching everything twice I feel the change with the biggest overall impact is Whistledown. Eloise finding out completely changes not only her and Pen's friendship, but Pen's relationship with Colin as well. There was something to be said for him being the first to find out about Penelope's secret. Now Eloise knows and will likely have known for years by the time Colin finds out. This changes the timbre of everything, right down to Eloise going to Phillip because she was feeling lonely and adrift after Penelope married Colin. They must have something completely different in mind for their season. In fact, there was a scene in which Portia gives them a pensive look, she knows or at least has an incling about Penelope's feelings. Something that was never near happening in the book. So that got me to thinking that Penelope might actually get a suitor on the show, that Portia might extend a true effort to get her one.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, bijoux said:

Now Eloise knows and will likely have known for years by the time Colin finds out. This changes the timbre of everything, right down to Eloise going to Phillip because she was feeling lonely and adrift after Penelope married Colin.

Yeah.  This is giving me pause too.  A lot of Colin and Pen's interactions in their book center around his protectiveness once he learns her secret and him trying to convey to her how its exposure may affect her after all the things she's written about their society. (And that was without her having done anything too catastrophic.)

And Eloise's reaction is part the loss of Pen as her spinster mate and part her realization that, for all her cleverness, she hadn't known a fundamental thing about her closest friend nor was she the first to learn. 

The only thing I did like was that Pen and E's confrontation attacked some of the more problematic parts of their dynamic head on. E was a bit sheepish about her assumption that she and Pen would grow old as spinsters together.  But the condescension of that assumption was sort of glossed over. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, bijoux said:

After watching everything twice I feel the change with the biggest overall impact is Whistledown. Eloise finding out completely changes not only her and Pen's friendship, but Pen's relationship with Colin as well. There was something to be said for him being the first to find out about Penelope's secret. Now Eloise knows and will likely have known for years by the time Colin finds out. This changes the timbre of everything, right down to Eloise going to Phillip because she was feeling lonely and adrift after Penelope married Colin. They must have something completely different in mind for their season. In fact, there was a scene in which Portia gives them a pensive look, she knows or at least has an incling about Penelope's feelings. Something that was never near happening in the book. So that got me to thinking that Penelope might actually get a suitor on the show, that Portia might extend a true effort to get her one.

I hope they don’t follow the book. Things are loosely based on books all the time. I cannot see any way Eloise/Sir Philip becomes an item unless Eloise takes a sharp turn into botany. 

• LOL 2

They've shown us that Sir Philip is a genuinely good guy who has made Marina at least content (in contrast to the books) AND is willing to talk about obscure plants at length. So in that sense - scholarly, kind - he's a good match for Eloise.  And just as in the book, Eloise has had some contact with Marina - not much - but no contact, apparently, with Sir Philip, even though Sir Philip lives relatively close to the main Bridgerton country estate. 

In all other respects though, no. They've given us reason to want Marina to find real happiness - and since both Sir Philip and Marina seem to love the kids, and she's aware of Sir Philip's good qualities, she's on a real road to finding that. And this Eloise seems to want to make some sort of difference politically and socially in London, not out on a country estate with someone mostly interested in plants.

So for show Eloise and show Sir Philip to get together, the show has to somehow or other get rid of Marina through death or divorce, which isn't something I want to see, and has to make some major shifts to Eloise. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Conotocarious said:

I hope they don’t follow the book. Things are loosely based on books all the time. I cannot see any way Eloise/Sir Philip becomes an item unless Eloise takes a sharp turn into botany. 

She's an interesting woman. She can have many interests.

😉

Oh, I just remembered another element from the book they used differently. Lady Danburry smacking people around with her cane. In the books it was in ballrooms. Here it was to separate Kate and Anthony before her house combusted.

Edited by bijoux
  • Like 1

So now that I have finished the season, I will say that while I am ambivalent about the changes they made to Kate and Edwina, I come out on the side of liking what they did. 

I wasn't thrilled by having it be an actual love triangle but I also think it raised the stakes on Anthony and Kate's relationship in a meaningful way. And ultimately, it allowed them to actually develop Edwina's personality in ways we didn't see in the book. It helps that we get to see that Edwina's anger was less about having real feelings for Anthony and more about having other people make decisions and being lied to.

The one thing I regret is that they jettisoned the idea that Edwina was kind of a nerd. In the book, I liked the contrast of her being so beautiful but really was someone who was into academic pursuits. It really didn't fit into the way they developed her but it's too bad because it was a fun element of her character. 

• Love 7
On 3/26/2022 at 2:50 PM, scarynikki12 said:

If they do want to start rearranging books then I would combine Benedict and Eloise. The main theme of his story with Sophie is their class difference and this season established the same for Eloise and Theo. Put both romances in the same season and really lean into the theme. I agree that I can't see show Eloise ever getting with show Philip so they may as well throw that out and focus on what they've already established with Theo. 

It looks like Theo/Penelope was invented specifically for the series, and I FUCKING loved them. Absolutely love it. Is it a cliche for the rich girl with the poor boy? Sure, but it works and it feels way more in line with how Show Eloise has been developed. Her becoming essentially a non-singing Maria Von Trapp makes zero sense to me.

• Love 4
On 3/27/2022 at 12:46 PM, RachelKM said:

On the other hand. I didn't love that they had Edwina actually wanting to marry Anthony or that it got as far as a wedding.  That change altered the dynamic between Edwina and Kate in a way I didn't like.

I agree although haven't read the book.

Also, it was odd that Daphne tried to convince Anthony not to marry Edwina so shortly before the wedding as it was made clear that no gentleman couldn't break the engagement, only a woman could.

Which made Kate's behavior very odd when he insisted that Anthony had to marry Edwina. No matter that she wanted to marry him and even believed that she loved him, her big sister knew that he didn't love her, so she wouldn't become happy.

It would be a better plot if Anthony had told Edwina that he didn't love her and she had broken their engagement. There still would have been the plot that Kate and Anthony had wanted to hide their feelings towards each other in order to save Edwina's feelings.        

• Love 5
3 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Her becoming essentially a non-singing Maria Von Trapp makes zero sense to me.

They also made a point of showing Eloise's complete lack of interest in her nephew which makes a pairing with Philip even less believable.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Roseanna said:

I agree although haven't read the book.

Also, it was odd that Daphne tried to convince Anthony not to marry Edwina so shortly before the wedding as it was made clear that no gentleman couldn't break the engagement, only a woman could.

Which made Kate's behavior very odd when he insisted that Anthony had to marry Edwina. No matter that she wanted to marry him and even believed that she loved him, her big sister knew that he didn't love her, so she wouldn't become happy.

It would be a better plot if Anthony had told Edwina that he didn't love her and she had broken their engagement. There still would have been the plot that Kate and Anthony had wanted to hide their feelings towards each other in order to save Edwina's feelings.        

I feel like the best thing to do may have been to have Edwina realize her feelings were just infatuation because she sees what she really wants through a different suitor (which is much more like the book). That could have shortened the Anthony and Kate get together plot which did go on a trifle long and would have given Edwina a satisfactory ending. I do think the showrunners were trying not to do the obvious thing (which this is) because they are trying to avoid the “you can only find happiness in a man” trope for every woman on the show. But since its a romance it can leave stories like Edwina’s feeling unfinished and unsatisfactory.

Edited by Conotocarious
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Conotocarious said:

I feel like the best thing to do may have been to have Edwina realize her feelings were just infatuation because she sees what she really wants through a different suitor (which is much more like the book). That could have shortened the Anthony and Kate get together plot which did go on a trifle long and would have given Edwina a satisfactory ending. I do think the showrunners were trying not to do the obvious thing (which this is) because they are trying to avoid the “you can only find happiness in a man” trope for every woman on the show. But since its a romance it can leave stories like Edwina’s feeling unfinished and unsatisfactory.

Edwina was a bit of a nerd (a beautiful one) and fell for an academic of noble family though he wasn't titled, if I'm remembering correctly. It shows her not just being the beautiful swan being fawned over, but a young woman with academic interests and smarts and finds love with someone like herself.

Are we to assume the queen set her up with her prince nephew?

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, Atlanta said:

Are we to assume the queen set her up with her prince nephew?

I'm assuming the Queen trying to pass him off on a different debutante each season becomes a running joke.

• LOL 3
5 hours ago, Roseanna said:

In the book, Anthony and Edwina don't even get to the engagement. He is courting her and he makes that clear to everyone. But he and Kate keep having these run-ins and then the bee sting happens, he freaks out and starts trying to basically suck the venom out of the bee sting, and they get caught by Lady Featherington and his mom. So Kate and Anthony are forced to get engaged and married.

We find out that Edwina is fine with this because a). like Daphne on the show, Edwina can totally tell Kate and Anthony are into each other and b.) she has a suitor (a scholar named Mr. Bagwell) that she'd rather marry anyway.

While I like the fact that the upped the stakes, I think that I would have maybe preferred that they didn't get to an engagement with Anthony and Edwina. Or alternatively, if you are going to go that route, then commit to the idea that Anthony and Kate are really acting badly here and have them actually hook up while he is engaged to Edwina. 

It feels like they went half-measures there because they don't want people to not root for Kate and Anthony and I get that. But from a story telling perspective, it would have been a lot more dramatic. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

In the book, Anthony and Edwina don't even get to the engagement. He is courting her and he makes that clear to everyone. But he and Kate keep having these run-ins and then the bee sting happens, he freaks out and starts trying to basically suck the venom out of the bee sting, and they get caught by Lady Featherington and his mom. So Kate and Anthony are forced to get engaged and married.

We find out that Edwina is fine with this because a). like Daphne on the show, Edwina can totally tell Kate and Anthony are into each other and b.) she has a suitor (a scholar named Mr. Bagwell) that she'd rather marry anyway.

While I like the fact that the upped the stakes, I think that I would have maybe preferred that they didn't get to an engagement with Anthony and Edwina. Or alternatively, if you are going to go that route, then commit to the idea that Anthony and Kate are really acting badly here and have them actually hook up while he is engaged to Edwina. 

It feels like they went half-measures there because they don't want people to not root for Kate and Anthony and I get that. But from a story telling perspective, it would have been a lot more dramatic. 

The whole being forced to marry thing is basically a retread of season one and I am SO GLAD the show didn’t go in those tired waters again. I understand why they made the choices they made. 

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

I get amping up the drama, but there is a major third rail when it comes to romances--cheating.  That is a huge no-go for the majority of romance readers, so the show went with the highest amount of angst possible without cheating.  I do respect the show for honing in on what romance readers want even if there are major changes from the source material.  The level of respect the show has for it's audience is admirable.  Romance readers rarely are afforded it.

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, Conotocarious said:

The whole being forced to marry thing is basically a retread of season one and I am SO GLAD the show didn’t go in those tired waters again. I understand why they made the choices they made. 

I do agree that forcing the marriage is a retread. I am okay with them not using that plot point. Just saying that is how it went down in the book.

From the Media Thread:

3 hours ago, magdalene said:

I saw that this show has at least two more seasons after this second season and I also saw Dusen (spelling?) saying that from now on they will be getting "creative" with the story lines. I took that to mean them following the books less. Since I haven't read the books I don't know how closely that was. Maybe they will no longer focus on one particular Bridgerton a season?

I wonder what it means?

As noted in other threads, they have already diverged a bit from the source material in the first two seasons.  But most of the biggest changes have not so much been to the main plots of the first two books but the people around them and in ways that make following other books pretty hard.

For instance, the entire Marina plot of season 1 was totally created for the show.  However, it uses characters that later figure into Eloise's book and changed their relationships and interactions.  And the entire characterization of Show Marina is counter everything we are told about Book Marina.

Benedict's story would have technically already started since he first meets Sophie before Anthony is married and then doesn't see her again for 2 years. (To be honest, I HATE that part of the story anyway.) Plus, in the books, his affinity for art is something more private to him and figures into his story.  His bohemian artist thing he's been doing both seasons is a huge departure both as to his characterization and to the book plot. 

The whole ending blowup with Pen and Eloise radically changes their dynamic going forward which changes Eloise's motivations. Eloise finding out the truth also has implications for Colin and Pen's story.

And finally, as if all the changes above which have implications for Eloise's story are not enough, Eloise herself different on the show.  In the book, she is a bit of a bluestocking and has no plans to marry.  And she finds a lot of the pomp of the season annoying. But she is not quite so exaggerated with it and it seems she more just likes being left to read and write letters and not deal with being a wife or running of a house, neither of which particularly appeal to her.  Running around the slums of London, engaging in politics, and flirting with print assistants is completely a show addition.

So I don't think any part of her book plot will be used. Or, if it is, it will be very different. 

Edited by RachelKM
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
4 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I get amping up the drama, but there is a major third rail when it comes to romances--cheating.  That is a huge no-go for the majority of romance readers, so the show went with the highest amount of angst possible without cheating.  I do respect the show for honing in on what romance readers want even if there are major changes from the source material.  The level of respect the show has for it's audience is admirable.  Romance readers rarely are afforded it.

Yeah, I know. And I get why they chose the path they did but it feels so they pulled their narrative punches a bit.

I honestly don't remember if Prudence got married in the books but I was thinking and it would be fun if she ended up with Charlotte's prince nephew. Have Pru get just enough of a clue that she assumes he'll never be interested in her so she relaxes enough to just be herself to him/in his presence and that's what sparks his interest. If/when we see Edwina again I'd rather see her married to a book loving Englishman so she can be near Kate but they did go to the trouble of creating the prince nephew so it'd be nice to see him happily settled. Also you know it would kill the Cowpers if a Featherington ended up with a prince.

Until we know otherwise I'm assuming season 3 will focus on Benedict so we need them to cast someone who can be brilliantly evil for Araminta. I can't wait to see who they get.

• Love 2

Prudence is married by the time od of Romancing Mr. Bridgerton. She marries Nigel Berbrooke, who's not a creep in the books, just stupid and well intentioned. Colin spends a painful time with Penelope's family, her brothers-in-law included.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

Right.  In the books, there's a scene before the pall mall game where Anthony walks Edwina to the game because she's running late and they start talking about books.  In the show, the scene in the parlor that's chaperoned by Violet and Mary Sharma(?) where Edwina talks about books and Anthony admits the only books he has looked at lately are ledgers is kind of reminiscent of that book scene.  Except in the books, it's where Edwina realizes Anthony isn't as scholarly as she'd like (not dumb but not bookish) and it's where her interest fades.  So when the bee scene happens and Kate gets engaged to Anthony, Edwina doesn't feel betrayed or heartbroken at all.

• Love 8
12 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

They also made a point of showing Eloise's complete lack of interest in her nephew which makes a pairing with Philip even less believable.

I don't think this specific change is that big a deal. She and Penelope don't get married until many years after this time period (in the books at least), so a lot can change in between. 

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, Door County Cherry said:

Simone Ashley apparently did an interview and said she expects there to have a story in the second season.  

But the reason I'm posting it here is she seems to hint that they'll do Penelope/Colin next. 

https://www.eonline.com/news/1324598/is-bridgerton-s-simone-ashley-pulling-a-rege-jean-page-she-says?source=twitter-enews&content=organic&medium=link-post&cmpid=social

Interesting.  I wonder if they are going to use the fight with Eloise to propel them into Pen & Colin. I could see Colin seeing the rift and trying to get them to reconcile, putting him around Pen more. And then Eloise eventually spilling to Colin about the Lady W and Colin freaking out, but slowly realizing he's more worried about Pen than mad at her. 

• Love 1

Wow, that was interesting to hear Jonathan Bailey’s actual voice. I had assumed he sounded just like Anthony, but no 😆

Well, I hope Kate and Anthony returning next season is a sure thing and they’re both locked into contracts. 

Season 1 Colin and Penelope had potential, but season 2 left me mostly uninterested. He’s boring and a major downgrade after the sexiness of Simon and Anthony. And I’m kinda over the Lady Whistledown drama (and don’t look forward to Colin finding that out). I would have liked to watch Benedict’s story next, and then Eloise’s :(

• Love 3

I think the best thing would be to combine the a few books in the next seasons.  Season 3 start with Francesca (possibly recasted) making her debut and combine her first marriage with Benedict's story.  Add some Colin and Penelope to this season.  Season 4 see LW revealed along with Eloise's and Francesca's books.   

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Nire said:

Season 3 start with Francesca (possibly recasted) making her debut 

Was she in the first two books? I've never read them, & I'm kind of confused as to why she hasn't been part of the show at all.

She was mentioned, I think. Definitely not in the Pall Mall scene. But then neither was Eloise. The original players were the four oldest Bridgertons and Kate and Edwina. Simon joined them unexpectedly.

What a different (and much shorter) story this would have been had Anthony actually approached his search for a wife, nay viscountess, reasonably. Who's the better fit, numnut, a sweet debutante or her bossy, haughty older sister? Particularly with his book motivation. You'd want someone you see as competent and up for dealing with this station once you croak sooner rather than later, no? Goes to show the ammount od thought (not) put into the endeavor.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

Simone Ashley apparently did an interview and said she expects  to have a story in the second season.  

But the reason I'm posting it here is she seems to hint that they'll do Penelope/Colin next. 

https://www.eonline.com/news/1324598/is-bridgerton-s-simone-ashley-pulling-a-rege-jean-page-she-says?source=twitter-enews&content=organic&medium=link-post&cmpid=social

I hope they do! And I’d love another Kate and Anthony story because I absolutely loved them both. Honestly I also wouldn’t mind combining Benedict and P/C. But I prefer the smolder of Anthony. I didn’t like him much after season one but lord, did Bailey bring it in season 2. 
I did see a well reasoned post either here or Reddit where someone argued Pen needed a redemption arc season where she grows up a bit before they get into the P/C match and I thought, yeah that could work. But my initial reaction was they really needed to get to it. It’s too important in the show not to be  addressed. Unless they wanted to give her an arc with another man to show some personal growth no one wants to see her mooning over Colin all season and his obliviousness yet again. 

• Love 5

I really disliked this season compared to the book. I do understand that they have to have more side characters in the show, and that's not my issue. My issue is that they made Kate initially way ruder than in the book. In the book, she didn't like Anthony but otherwise behaved like someone from that time would behave.  In the show, she's telling off Lady Danbury in episode 1?  And being rude to just about everyone she meets? That was unnecessary.

As others have said, there is simply no way Daphne would have tried to get Anthony to call off his wedding at the altar. It made no sense for that time period.  

I get that they didn't want another forced wedding but this went too far to avoid it. 

1 hour ago, Conotocarious said:

I did see a well reasoned post either here or Reddit where someone argued Pen needed a redemption arc season where she grows up a bit before they get into the P/C match

Agreed. Book Lady W makes some pointed remarks but is mostly posting accurate gossip. The main question everyone has is who she is and how she gets her information. That's obviously not the case in the show but if season 3 gives some focus to Pen trying to make amends via Lady W before everyone finds out then we could get to that more lighthearted version. 

Colin needs to regrow the facial hair. It suited him and made him look more mature which he'll need when it's his turn.

One thing the books did was have Colin insult Penelope and then realize she's standing right there so I'd rather they include that and have season 3 be setting them up in a more pointed way. Give her the opportunity to make amends before everyone finds out and it will go a long way to giving her the support she needs when it's time to pair her with Colin. 

• Love 1

I saw a interview somewhere where the actor who plays Colin was talking of he and Nicola’s terror at having to play the romantic leads when their season comes and I have to say I sympathize. I would be SO STRESSED about living up to the expectations especially if I were to read opinions of how it’ll never work (especially following RJP and Johnny Bailey). Yikes. I don’t envy those actors at all.

Edited by Conotocarious
  • Love 11
12 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

Simone Ashley apparently did an interview and said she expects  to have a story in the second season.  

I saw that, too, but I wonder if that was just speculation on her part. I don't know that they've actually written season 3 yet.

4 minutes ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

I saw that, too, but I wonder if that was just speculation on her part. I don't know that they've actually written season 3 yet.

If RJP had agreed to be in it, I think he would have a storyline in season 2 so I don’t think its speculation on her part. It doesn’t have to be a main storyline. She is under contract for future seasons. And since I adore them, I am stoked about this. I’ve even seen that Edwina may have a storyline and I’d like that too. She grew on me after she moved out of robot mode.

Edited by Conotocarious
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, Conotocarious said:

If RJP had agreed to be in it, I think he would have a storyline in season 2 so I don’t think its speculation on her part. It doesn’t have to be a main storyline. She is under contract for future seasons. And since I adore them, I am stoked about this. I’ve even seen that Edwina may have a storyline and I’d like that too. She grew on me after she moved out of robot mode.

I meant that she was speculating about Penelope and Colin being the focus of season 3, not of her own involvement. Presumably she knows her own contract status.

9 minutes ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

I meant that she was speculating about Penelope and Colin being the focus of season 3, not of her own involvement. Presumably she knows her own contract status.

Oh, yeah, I don’t know how she’d know about P/C’s story being next. Idon’t know if she is a book reader. She could have presumed that they were next because their storyline is fairly prominent this season. I would assume the exact same if I didn’t know the order of the books.

Edited by Conotocarious
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

Maybe but shouting out the actors is pretty specific. 

I doubt the season is completely written but I'd think they know their focus by now. Especially since they started casting for Kate before the series debuted.  Simone learned she had the role around the same time it debuted.

I've heard that they plan to start filming again this summer.  

Still grain of salt and all but I do think more signs point towards it than not other than book cannon.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I broke and bought “The Viscount who Loved Me” and wanted to read this before I watched the show. I knew in advance this book was usually touted as the fav of the series and that the show was different. 

I really like what the show did. The book was great, read it in a day and a half. But the show gives the women so much more agency then the book does, and the shows Anthony is less angry than book Anthony. 

Im also glad they went away with Kate’s “plainness”…in a million years you’d never convince anyone that Simone Ashley is anything less than statue esque lol. 

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, moonorchid said:

I broke and bought “The Viscount who Loved Me” and wanted to read this before I watched the show. I knew in advance this book was usually touted as the fav of the series and that the show was different. 

I really like what the show did. The book was great, read it in a day and a half. But the show gives the women so much more agency then the book does, and the shows Anthony is less angry than book Anthony. 

Im also glad they went away with Kate’s “plainness”…in a million years you’d never convince anyone that Simone Ashley is anything less than statue esque lol. 

Love the use of quotation marks around plainness.  One of my least favorite romance tropes is the heroine being plain and the only person who finds her beautiful is the hero.  Rarely is the heroine ever described as beautiful unless the plot involves knocking her down a few pegs before finding her HEA.  All romance heroines are average at best.  I get it and it goes back to the way Jane Austen describes Elizabeth Bennett, but I don't like it.

• Love 2