Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
CuriousParker

Book vs. Series: On The Shelf

Recommended Posts

I'm skimming The Duke and I, and I have to say some things I like better in the book, chiefly Daphne's character because she does seem actually smart and a girl you'd want to be friends with as opposed to coy on the show, and some have been improved on the show. One instance is the milk scene, one of my favorites of the season. It's actually there in the book, which I'd completely forgotten, but the show made it pop much more. 

Another thing I forgot is that Simon and Anthony take a dunk in the river. So, this happaned before The Viscount Who Loved Me. Only this time the culprit was a playful kid (Gregory) rather than a dog. 

Oh, Violet as previously stated also much better in the book. Her wedding night talk is a total disaster, including the following gem  which the show for some bizarre reason failed to incorporate:

Quote

 Don't be a nervous ninny, and do it enough so you'll have a baby.

 

😂

Also this:

 if you say that's because you lot barged into her home like a herd of mentally deficient sheep, I'm disowning all three of you.

 

Man, the show writers really robbed Violet. 

Edited by bijoux
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

15 hours ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

'll be interested to see if they take more of a soap opera approach to the story-telling in Season 2, as opposed to a romance novel approach. By that, I mean that in romance novel series, while you will see couples that were in one book appear in another book, usually they are happy and their conflicts behind them. So Daphne and Simon appear in the other Bridgerton books, but at that point they are happy and we don't hear that they have any other issues. But in soaps, once the couple gets together, they'll still have issues and conflicts that impact their marriage.  I'm just wondering which direction they'll choose - I assume season 2 is going to focus on Anthony and Kate (I'm assuming they'll keep that basic story, and if not, I'd be disappointed) and I also assume we'll see Daphne and Simon but I'm just not sure if we'll see more of their marriage in depth.

They could possibly draw out some of the "Second Epilogue" stuff. I haven't reread them since watching the show but whilst they're short there's a bit there to expand. Although some of Daphne and Simon's can't be done until/if Penelope and Colin are married IIRC. They can't really do the three girls and waiting for a boy potential storylines and all the issues that brings up emotionally and practically because they've already had a boy. 

If I had to guess there might be some issues pre baby just to keep them in the story and not loose the actors to other high profile projects but not true Soap Opera as they already showed the HEA. E.g. If RJP wanted to leave I don't think they'd dramatically kill him off and launch a who will Daphne marry now?" arc that took up the rest of the show ala Downton. 

Kate and Anthony have IMHO the best book to draw from and lots of stuff happening in it emotionally and physically with a strong supporting cast as well as everything they set up for other characters this season. I don't think they need extra drama from D/S even though I also do wonder how they're going to keep the "romance novel" nature and structure of everything that they clearly wanted to *this* season long term as many potentially popular characters/actors just fade out of the story. 

They could also tease out bits that happened  BTS in future books again like Marina this season. The dates don't quite match up (1814 vs 1815) book wise but they could have Benedict meet Sophie at the ball assuming they're going with that couple and fit in into whatever exploration of his life or sexuality they may or may not continue with. 

If they keep the same storyline for Eloise and Phillip then it's going to be inherently more soapy than it was in the books, because of Marina and the twins being his brother's biologically speaking, especially we get a storyline about their marriage or even an update on how they're doing before that. But that's assuming they even get there following the 1 season per book format or whether they combine a couple and many other things. 

Edited by Featherhat
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I went to read the 2nd epilogue of The Duke and I to check what you were saying. While it takes place 21 years into Simon and Daphne's marriage and all her sibling are married for years at that point, you're right, Colin and Penelope being married and having kids is key. Even if they were to switch the storyline to one of the other Bridgertons, it still couldn't take place next season. 

I have to say, this is a rather nice depiction of a long standing marriage, but the editing is abysmal. Either it's a matter of Colin and Penelope having different number of kids, switching between four and five, or one of their son goes from Thomas to William in a matter of a page or two. 

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, bijoux said:

I'm skimming The Duke and I, and I have to say some things I like better in the book, chiefly Daphne's character because she does seem actually smart and a girl you'd want to be friends with as opposed to coy on the show, and some have been improved on the show.

Yeah, I think it's somewhat strange that they made her so muted and colorless in the series IMO. She comes across as more vibrant and interesting in the book. Some of it might be the acting, but to me the script also really doesn't give her all that much. And you can do quiet and reserved characters (which Daphne isn't in the book IMO), without making them dull. Perhaps a case of setting up so much intrigue and side plots that the main character suffered? But they improved Simon. A lot of that is on the actor, but somehow the focus on him was better used than much of the stuff with Daphne IMO.

Edited by katha

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Featherhat said:

They could possibly draw out some of the "Second Epilogue" stuff. I haven't reread them since watching the show but whilst they're short there's a bit there to expand. Although some of Daphne and Simon's can't be done until/if Penelope and Colin are married IIRC. They can't really do the three girls and waiting for a boy potential storylines and all the issues that brings up emotionally and practically because they've already had a boy. 

If I had to guess there might be some issues pre baby just to keep them in the story and not loose the actors to other high profile projects but not true Soap Opera as they already showed the HEA. E.g. If RJP wanted to leave I don't think they'd dramatically kill him off and launch a who will Daphne marry now?" arc that took up the rest of the show ala Downton. 

Kate and Anthony have IMHO the best book to draw from and lots of stuff happening in it emotionally and physically with a strong supporting cast as well as everything they set up for other characters this season. I don't think they need extra drama from D/S even though I also do wonder how they're going to keep the "romance novel" nature and structure of everything that they clearly wanted to *this* season long term as many potentially popular characters/actors just fade out of the story. 

They could also tease out bits that happened  BTS in future books again like Marina this season. The dates don't quite match up (1814 vs 1815) book wise but they could have Benedict meet Sophie at the ball assuming they're going with that couple and fit in into whatever exploration of his life or sexuality they may or may not continue with. 

If they keep the same storyline for Eloise and Phillip then it's going to be inherently more soapy than it was in the books, because of Marina and the twins being his brother's biologically speaking, especially we get a storyline about their marriage or even an update on how they're doing before that. But that's assuming they even get there following the 1 season per book format or whether they combine a couple and many other things. 

I agree that they are unlikely to go full soap, what with its marital infidelities and such.  But the fact is that Simon spent a lot of years feeling unloved and unwanted, and those feelings don't go away overnight. And Lord knows that just having a baby doesn't solve all of those problems. So I'd be down with seeing more of Daphne and Simon's domestic life, particularly because I actually did find the idea that Daff wasn't the perfect Duchess from jump pretty interesting.  Obviously, they aren't going to be the focus of a Season 2, presuming it is Anthony and Kate but they could weave in a story line where they got the same amount of time as Anthony got with Sienna this season.

The only book in the series I really liked is the second book - I just thought that the characters were well thought out, their conflict made sense and they were well-matched. (Not the least is because they were both dealing with trauma from a death of a parent early in their lives). I feel like in the subsequent books, Quinn had some pretty good set ups, but sort of lost a sense of compelling drama, which is why I mostly lost interest in her books. That being said, Eloise and Philip will, by necessity, be more dramatic but more importantly, so will Colin and Penelope. IMO, that is where I really did lose interest in Quinn's writing because I felt like the set up between Colin and Penelope was really good - and then the book was mostly disappointing. With this situation, the set up is 10 times more dramatic than it is in the book because Penelope did something that directly impacted Colin's life with her writing as Lady Whistledown. So I'll be interested to see if they can follow through.

35 minutes ago, katha said:

Yeah, I think it's somewhat strange that they made her so muted and colorless in the series IMO. She comes across as more vibrant and interesting in the book. Some of it might be the acting, but to me the script also really doesn't give her all that much. And you can do quiet and reserved characters (which Daphne isn't in the book IMO), without making them dull. Perhaps a case of setting up so much intrigue and side plots that the main character suffered? But they improved Simon. A lot of that is on the actor, but somehow the focus on him was better used than much of the stuff with Daphne IMO.

I didn't think that Daphne was colorless but I actually do think that the set up was a little better in the book (as opposed to with Anthony, where I think that giving him a lost love helps flesh out his character a bit).  Perhaps it is because I grew up with a bunch of brothers but I definitely understand the challenge of growing up in a household of boys as a girl, and how that gives you both insight into guys but also often means that you end up being "friendzoned" because you're not interested in simpering to them.  Daphne being someone who can go toe-to-toe in conversation with men makes a lot of sense to me from that perspective, but I could also see how that would lead her into being thought of as "just a friend." But in combination with her having been out before, I think it makes her motivation to just find a husband more compelling. IMO, they should have at least kept the plot point that this was her third season, IIRC. 

Share this post


Link to post

So apparently in the book there was no Featherington estate to inherit?

If so, and the show is bringing that story in, what are the guesses of that name on the paper?

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

So apparently in the book there was no Featherington estate to inherit?

If so, and the show is bringing that story in, what are the guesses of that name on the paper?

Honestly no idea. The only Featherington family member mentioned in the book that wasn't introduced in the show is the youngest sister Felicity. But Mr. Featherington is already dead by the start of the series and not mentioned all that much. I can't even think of any of the books' chatacters they could try to introduce in this capacity. Going by future heroes, Phillip has already been brought in, which leaves John and Michael, Francesca's future husbands, and Gareth, Hyacinth's future guy, who's also Lady Danburry's nephew. I don't know how any of that would work. Even as for villains, of the male variety, I think there's an old guy in Gregory's book, but can'št really remember anything about him. That's really all I can come up with. Whoever it turns out to be, they'll have to change a lot about the character, but they've already done so with Berbrooke, so I can't see that stopping them.

Share this post


Link to post

Do the books address what happened to the boxer that threw the fight? Obviously the gangsters knew he did that.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm pretty sure that is a TV storyline - I don't think it comes up at all in the books. 

I wonder if the writers made the Featherington's penniless to give Penelope more reason to keep up with Lady Whistledown. She had something like 8000+ pounds in the bank when she quit and that's after giving her mother a big amount disguised as a bequest from a great-aunt. Penelope made a lot of money as Lady Whistledown.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Cetacean said:

Do the books address what happened to the boxer that threw the fight? Obviously the gangsters knew he did that.

Nope, that wasn't in the book at all. I actually thought Will or some character like him could have been in the book, because it seems so romance novel-y for the hero to go to someone to kick him about to forget his sads, but ot turned out not so in this case. 

3 hours ago, Mirabelle said:

I'm pretty sure that is a TV storyline - I don't think it comes up at all in the books. 

I wonder if the writers made the Featherington's penniless to give Penelope more reason to keep up with Lady Whistledown. She had something like 8000+ pounds in the bank when she quit and that's after giving her mother a big amount disguised as a bequest from a great-aunt. Penelope made a lot of money as Lady Whistledown.

Yeah, Pen has that money after being in business for over 10 years. At this point she may be breaking even. But you're right, that could be one of the reasons behind this choice. 

Share this post


Link to post

I haven't read a "romance novel" since I was in my teens (it's been a LONG time) but I have to admit, this was a great concept, and got me to keep reading.  8 kids, all pretty interesting (How does COLIN end up with PENELOPE of all people, for example?)  Add in prequels of this likable family, and tada!  Lots of sales.

The sex parts are pretty same-same in each novel, all women instantly orgasmic, all men know exactly where the clitoris is and what to do with it, so yawn.  Nearly all "meet cute" and the outcome of that is never in doubt, not really, but still, somehow, the utter simplicity and guaranteed happy endings is utterly right for times like this.  I've reached my limit with the complications of the past year (and beyond) so, bring it on Quinn.

That said, I know modern men (and a few women) who have far less sexual ability, even in the age of easily available porn and medical books, diagrams of anatomy, and endless books about sexual relations available at the click of a google search, or a "buy" on a kindle.  I had to tell a 50 year old women what and where her clitoris is, and she'd been married, had two kids, AND several lovers.  She'd never had a single orgasm in her life until I gave her a vibrator (with written out instructions and diagrams of where to put it.)  Her current lover obviously has never heard of a clitoris, and prides himself on never going down on any woman (and he's had over a hundred of them.)

So, yeah...

  • Like 2
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post

Well, I'm nearly done with most of the books and one preview.  I've avoided Francesca's story because some of the reviews were scathing, but hey, can't read all of them BUT hers, so that's next.

I wish the show hadn't made Daphne a "diamond."  It worked better as a story in the book.

Don't buy the Happily Ever After book, the 2nd epilogues are now in all the books, so basically, you will pay for a nice but exceedingly short (4 pages maybe?) story about Violet meeting her husband.

The two I enjoyed the most are a bit different than some choices I've read here.  I actually did like the Colin/Penelope story, for the twists and turns and Whistledown turns.  I also enjoyed Gregory's story quite a bit, it, to me anyway, was the least formulaic of the series, and it honestly really did keep my attention all the way through, up to and including the 2nd epilogue.  I honestly didn't know where the story was going at several points.  Hyacinth's story was rather fun too.  Benedict's was probably the most romantic of the bunch.

I WAS having a hard time picturing the Colin and Penelope story playing out with Nicola, but...google images is setting me straight.  😉  Her first season costumes were horrendous, which gives them a lot of room for massive improvement.

 

92278093_123549962613070_165585038951149

Edited by Umbelina
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Nicola is a total doll and her eyes look down right stunning in some of the shots on Derry Girls. I don't know if it's the blond hair, the lighting or what. 

It's funny what you say about Francesca's book, because I remember positive review. I'll be curious to learn what you think of it. 

Edited by bijoux
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, bijoux said:

Nicola is a total doll and her eyes look down right stunning in some of the shots on Derry Girls. I don't know if it's the blond hair, the lighting or what. 

It's funny what you say about Francesca's book, because I remember positive review. I'll be curious to learn what you think of it. 

What I read is that it drags and drags and drags some more, with very little payoff.  I will let you know.  (I did read the 2nd epilogue already, which probably should have just been included in the book when it came out.)  

 

Share this post


Link to post

I personally loved Francesca's book.  After Anthony's it is my favorite.  My theory is that it is a very different tone from the rest of the books -- a little more angsty rather than humorous.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I think Nicola was purposefully put in ill-fitting dresses so when it's time for Penelope to have her unfrumpening they can do it just by putting her in flattering clothes. I don't think asking an actress to lose weight is something Shondaland would do. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Honestly, I'm not sure she lost all that much weight in the book.  I think some, but it was mostly that she was finally dressing herself, and out of those horrible clothes her mother always put her in.  Gregory kept thinking about her eyes, and her curves, but not how slender she was, or how lithe her figure was.  She mentioned at some point that she did slim a bit, but I didn't get the impression that she was suddenly a waif.

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, Mirabelle said:

I think Nicola was purposefully put in ill-fitting dresses so when it's time for Penelope to have her unfrumpening they can do it just by putting her in flattering clothes. I don't think asking an actress to lose weight is something Shondaland would do. 

I had the same impression. Her Empire waistline appeared to be extra high often cutting across the widest area of her chest at the breast.  This had the effect of making her look shapeless by obscuring her breasts and also creating a wider skirt.  It turned her into a barrel shape at the widest possible point of her body.  

Placed even a few inches lower, the Empire waist accents the bust and would create a narrower skirt designed to skim past the hips rather than tent around them.

39 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

Honestly, I'm not sure she lost all that much weight in the book.  I think some, but it was mostly that she was finally dressing herself, and out of those horrible clothes her mother always put her in.  Gregory kept thinking about her eyes, and her curves, but not how slender she was, or how lithe her figure was.  She mentioned at some point that she did slim a bit, but I didn't get the impression that she was suddenly a waif.

I think it was both.  I recently re-read Romancing Mr. Bridgerton and she says she lost nearly two stone.  A stone is approximately 14 lbs.  So she likely lost at least 25 lbs.  When she reached 25ish (I think) her mother also began letting her choose her own clothes as she had given up hope that Penelope might marry.  This freed Penelope to choose more flattering colors and designs (mostly less frilly and cooler tones) instead of endless "happy" yellow and variations of oranges.

Edited by RachelKM
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Ailianna said:

Honestly, I'm not sure she lost all that much weight in the book.  I think some, but it was mostly that she was finally dressing herself, and out of those horrible clothes her mother always put her in.  Gregory kept thinking about her eyes, and her curves, but not how slender she was, or how lithe her figure was.  She mentioned at some point that she did slim a bit, but I didn't get the impression that she was suddenly a waif.

What @RachelKM said about the clothes, but also I think Colin would have something to say about his baby brother checking out his wife's curves. 🙂

  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, bijoux said:

What @RachelKM said about the clothes, but also I think Colin would have something to say about his baby brother checking out his wife's curves. 🙂

Oops!  Yes. I meant Colin. It's been a long day!

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

I just started the first book. I race not a part of the series?  The Duke has blue eyes.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Cetacean said:

I just started the first book. I race not a part of the series?  The Duke has blue eyes.

Everyone is white in the books.  Julia Quinn is never going to write POC as her heroes or heroines.   

  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Cetacean said:

I just started the first book. I race not a part of the series?  The Duke has blue eyes.

She stays true to history in the books.

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

On 1/20/2021 at 5:10 AM, bijoux said:

It's funny what you say about Francesca's book, because I remember positive review. I'll be curious to learn what you think of it. 

Still hoping for the best, but honestly?  I'm at chapter 6 and bored silly.  I want to smack both Francesca AND Michael.  So, it's a combination of bored and annoyed.

@bijoux

OK, finally finished, and as promised here is the rest of my opinion on WHEN HE WAS WICKED.

🤮

The only parts that interested me at all were when the other characters appeared, Colin, Violet, etc.  However that was much too infrequent, and the book dragged and annoyed me the rest of the time.  

Neither of our lead characters were well defined (and the material was certainly there for that, but never used.)  I didn't like either of them.  Michael was apparently in mad love with her (and doing nothing about it for 6 years) because of her pretty blue eyes and her "reserve."  That's it.  

Once they finally had sex they had a lot of it, and some of it "kinky" by the mores of the times and her other books, but just a little.  There were endless "I EXPLODED" incidents.  Serious Quinn, time to find another word.  So, if you love her sex scenes, be heartened, there are a lot of them in this book after the half way point.  I was unengaged, since, as I've said before, I didn't like them, and was never given the chance to know them by this author.

Frankly, I would have rather spent 200 pages with Michael actually in India.

The 2nd epilogue was the best thing in the entire book, which isn't saying much because the book was by far the worst of this series.  Even then though?  Francesca allows Violet to "take her grief" and then is magically pregnant.  At that point, she goes off to have her baby in secret, not even telling her mother she gave birth until about 4 months later.  Naval gazing until the very end.

Ugh.  There was something interesting about all of the other Bridgertons in the novels, and in the people they eventually married, and at times, even in their inlaws.  I struggled and tried to find anything interesting in Francesca.  There is no there there.  There are hints of it, but those are never explored.  Ditto with Michael, as portrayed he's a fool and a ninny with a much larger penis than Francesca's first husband, and he's as handsome as she is pretty.  They are both very rich.  Whoop.

I don't hate either of them, and I do think both could have been interesting with a bit more thought on Quinn's part.  The raw ingredients were abundantly available for a feast, but the cook never bothered to turn on the stove.

Edited by Umbelina
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Mr Featherington was not mean. He is a man that is addicted to gambling and he believes that taking care of the children is the women’s place. He is also pathetic in that he cried when his wife found out. He never once told her what he is going to do to set things right.  

On 12/27/2020 at 12:44 PM, BlackberryJam said:

I’m not going to go through every post in every thread, but I know that’s been my point all along.

I never said Marina knew what she was doing. I said we didn’t know how the situation between Marina and George developed or progressed, so we can’t jump to the conclusions. 

Upon her introduction to the ton, Marina had massive amounts of power and status. She, with almost no effort at all, replaced that season’s Diamond of the First Water. She had men falling at her feet, and she refused them all for George. She had agency and used it poorly. It was only after Portia discovered that Marina was pregnant that her options narrowed. 

This is part of why I have huge problems for the writing of Marina. Her characterization is wildly inconsistent. At one point, she rejects dozens of completely acceptable suitors for love, then she gives up on George, then when Penelope reveals George didn’t dump her, she doesn’t care, she’s going for what she wants, flip again and she attempts to abort, and then even though she’s still ‘ruined’ by societal standards, she’s still rejecting a not gross guy trying to do the nice thing, oh then she has the babies (twins, if anyone missed it), she’s fine marrying him. They changed Marina’s motivations and desires to fit whatever scene they needed to move the plot along. They do a real disservice to what could have been a good character. 

When did they say she had twins?

Share this post


Link to post

Marina has twins in the books - they eventually become Eloise's stepchildren. I think people are assuming that detail is not going to change. Then again, they wrote out Penelope's younger sister, the one Featherington who society didn't write off as a fool or a wallflower. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

So it looks like next season is Anthony and Kate, which should be good, and also involve several family members on screen.  I think this one will translate to the screen well.

I've been wondering though, does anyone think they will combine a couple of books into a season?  If they did, I am not sure which would work.  

I'm actually looking forward to all of them, so I hope they keep this going.  Even my least favorite book, When He Was Wicked, should transfer very well to the screen because there is no way it will drag that much on screen, and hopefully the two leads can bring more depth to the characters.  As I said above, the ingredients are all there, so with a better eye, I think it will come together well.

I think the two I'm most looking forward to are Colin and Penelope, and for what should be a sheer farce/fun/edge of your seat season, with a fantastic ending is Gregory and Lucy.  

I like Eloise's story as well, but that may be one they combine with another, or perhaps the combination is built in and we will see Marina's decent into depression, rather than just read about it after the fact.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I really like Gregory's story because it turns the trope of "love at first sight" sort of on it's head.  Eloise's book feels very real to me as well.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, ouinason said:

I really like Gregory's story because it turns the trope of "love at first sight" sort of on it's head.  Eloise's book feels very real to me as well.

I agree, and it's kind of edging up to my favorite book of the series.  With all of the other books, things were quite predictable, but this one actually did keep me guessing.  It, in another venue, would have made a great madcap farce movie starting Cary Grant (and any of a number of fab leading ladies.) https://www2.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/news-bfi/lists/10-great-screwball-comedies

Eloise's book adaption, the more I think of it, WILL have Marina's story first, if the actress is available, or at least perhaps flashbacks for Sir Philip about her arriving after leaving London, giving birth, etc.  

Another one I liked was a prequel.  First Comes Scandal.  Violet's sister in law has a story that is, at least a little bit, different than most of these books.  I kind of love that the marriage of convenience was between two virgins for a change.  I also liked the medical aspects of the story, and that they don't end up fabulously wealthy and living in a huge estate.  I also liked both of the lead characters, and it was nice to get a glimpse of the young married Violet and her husband.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I expect season 2 to just be Anthony and Kate since that book has enough meat to be on its own. I also think Benedict and Sophie will be the focus of season 3 since they can get some decent mileage out of the Cinderella angle. I don’t expect them to change the significant time jump between books 3 and 4. I’m among those who think they should do Colin, Eloise, and Francesca in a single season since they all take place at the same time anyway but that remains to be seen.

I was thinking about the individual season structure and I think season 2 will be similar to 1 in that Anthony and Kate will marry halfway through and then we get a small flash forward to the birth of Edmund rather than the birthday one from the book.

I also hope we get to one day see little Miles stand on the chair to beg Anthony and Kate to stop playing their instruments. The little details like that were always fun and it’d be nice to keep them. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

I also hope we get to one day see little Miles stand on the chair to beg Anthony and Kate to stop playing their instruments. The little details like that were always fun and it’d be nice to keep them. 

Definitely. I don't think people who've only watched season 1 can imagine Anthony purposefully making an ass of himself in front of his family just for the fun of it. 

They'd be wise to introduce Benedict's mystery woman this season, especially since they brought Sir Phillip in so early. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/23/2021 at 10:25 AM, bijoux said:

They'd be wise to introduce Benedict's mystery woman this season, especially since they brought Sir Phillip in so early. 

I agree.  Especially since part of their story is the fact that Benedict spent the two year period after their initial meeting hoping to find her and just begun to believe he never would when he re-met Sophie so that his lingering but muted dream of the woman from the ball informed their relationship. 

Likewise, by the time they do Benedict's book, they should introduce Francesca's first husband if they plan to follow her book. 

As for combining stories, It might work.  Romancing, To Sir Philip, and When He was Wicked occur in overlapping time. So, if they don't combine them, the timing will have to be shifted or it will appear the siblings live in separate worlds.  Or, they could do them like the books and simply have three seasons in which, while following only one story, the elements of the simultaneous stories are in the background. 

On the upside, about 5 years elapse between Benedict's book and the three above. Gregory is just out of school and by this time so he should be an adult... or if they decided to have the adaptations take place sequentially rather than simultaneously, time period, he could be away in school to avoid addressing his aging from teen to adult by having him away at school.  He really only figures into To Sir anyway and mostly for Eloise to mock his 22 year old self for trying to imply he has some role as a protective brother.

Edited by RachelKM · Reason: Complete sentences preferred
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/22/2021 at 2:03 PM, Mirabelle said:

Marina has twins in the books - they eventually become Eloise's stepchildren. I think people are assuming that detail is not going to change. Then again, they wrote out Penelope's younger sister, the one Featherington who society didn't write off as a fool or a wallflower. 

I hope they bring her in.  She very well could be off at school and that's why they don't see her.  One of the best parts of Collin's books revolves around her sister. 

4 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

I expect season 2 to just be Anthony and Kate since that book has enough meat to be on its own. I also think Benedict and Sophie will be the focus of season 3 since they can get some decent mileage out of the Cinderella angle. I don’t expect them to change the significant time jump between books 3 and 4. I’m among those who think they should do Colin, Eloise, and Francesca in a single season since they all take place at the same time anyway but that remains to be seen.

 

I hope they introduce Sophie at the end of Season 2.  I'd love to see the costume ball and it would be nice for the viewers to feel the time between the first meeting with the separation of seasons.

I need them to cast older actors as Hycinth and Gregory.  I don't want to see those little cuties having sex even five years from now.  Eew 

The issue with Eloise's story (and much of Francesca's) is that it is so removed from society.  Eloise runs off and it's just her and Phillip and the twins.  Then there's a short scene when her siblings show up and then she goes to visit Benedict but it's so removed from the rest of the family.

I also need them to give us some Smythe Smith's.  They're my favorite.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Thinking some more. I honestly don't expect them to make any serious changes to the pairings of the siblings so any same sex pairs will have to come from supporting characters. I'd bet that one of the general series plans is to end each season showcasing the birth of a Bridgerton grandchild so they'll keep the main pairings hetero-normative. That said I think Francesca's in the best position for such a change if they are willing to go there. They could easily change it so that John's beloved cousin who falls in love at first sight with Francesca is Michelle and change it so that John fathers Francesca's children before passing away. What I remember of her book the most are two things: 1) Michael had malaria and 2) there was an emphasis on the passion between them that didn't exist in her first marriage due to John's health problems. Both of those can remain if Michael becomes Michelle. I don't expect it but it could work.

One big change I'd like to see if for Marina to come to love Philip and the two live happily ever after. Eloise could easily befriend Marina and start a correspondence with Philip's cousin Peter if they really want to keep that family connection for her story.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I'm looking forward to Anthony's season. That book has not just the serious stuff, but a TON of laugh out loud moments. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, meatball77 said:

I hope they bring her in.  She very well could be off at school and that's why they don't see her.  One of the best parts of Collin's books revolves around her sister. 

I need them to cast older actors as Hycinth and Gregory.  I don't want to see those little cuties having sex even five years from now.  Eew 

I also need them to give us some Smythe Smith's.  They're my favorite.

I hope they write in Felicity too. I think a friendship with Felicity would help expand her character much as Penelope and Eloise's friendship helped develop their characters. 

And yes to the Smythe-Smiths. They have spinoff potential. I also think the Smythe-Smith books would be easier to adapt for TV because for at least the first three books there's a connecting plot and a villian. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I feel like they ruined a large part of Benedict's story and part of the reason he liked Sophie so much. In the books, none of his family knew anything about his art, and we're shocked when they learned. There's even a scene where his sister's all can't think of anything special about him. Society can't tell him apart from his brothers ( "Are you One, Two or Three?" ), and her ability to see him as an individual is a huge part of their relationship. On the show, the art is no secret, and his association with a bohemian crowd would massively stand out. So his desire to be seen for himself doesn't exist or at most has already been satisfied. So why is Sophie special?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

 

34 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

So why is Sophie special?

This seems like an opportunity to genderbend Sophie and establish Benedict in a gay OTP. I would love to see an mlm spin on Cinderella.

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

I feel like they ruined a large part of Benedict's story and part of the reason he liked Sophie so much. In the books, none of his family knew anything about his art, and we're shocked when they learned. There's even a scene where his sister's all can't think of anything special about him. Society can't tell him apart from his brothers ( "Are you One, Two or Three?" ), and her ability to see him as an individual is a huge part of their relationship. On the show, the art is no secret, and his association with a bohemian crowd would massively stand out. So his desire to be seen for himself doesn't exist or at most has already been satisfied. So why is Sophie special?

I think his set up might be foreshadowed by little speech Anthony gave him about loving someone unsuitable.  In book Sophie is not acceptable for a Bridgerton.  In show, if they decide to make Benedict gay or even bi then that speech works, but it also works if they decide to keep Sophie as his heroine as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, DearEvette said:

I think his set up might be foreshadowed by little speech Anthony gave him about loving someone unsuitable.  In book Sophie is not acceptable for a Bridgerton.  In show, if they decide to make Benedict gay or even bi then that speech works, but it also works if they decide to keep Sophie as his heroine as well.

I expect the class difference to be the major driving force when it's time for Benedict and Sophie. He imagines marrying the Mystery Woman from the masked ball (as he assumes that she's at the same class level as he) and, initially, doesn't do the same when he falls for Sophie. Sophie, in turn, refuses to become his mistress because she's afraid of getting pregnant and doesn't want her children growing up like she did. Araminta gets away with making Sophie her slave and stealing her dowry in large part because of her position in society. Also they couldn't do the jail proposal+Araminta confrontation+Benedict and Violet using the full force of the Bridgerton name to free Sophie if they change her to Steven. Well, they could but they'll also have to spend seasons 2 and 3 establishing that being gay/bi is now publicly acceptable in this version of the Regency era when season 1 presented the opposite. It's doable but I'm skeptical. I think it's far more likely that they'll expand on the class obstacle that already exists from the book and leave Benedict being bi to our collective imagination.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

One big change I'd like to see if for Marina to come to love Philip and the two live happily ever after. Eloise could easily befriend Marina and start a correspondence with Philip's cousin Peter if they really want to keep that family connection for her story.

That would be a huge change and I don't think it works.  Marina's depression and suicide makes much more sense if she was forced into a marriage she never wanted.  Instead of the "then they lived happily ever after" it is a more realistic take on how a woman, forced to marry by society, falls apart.

2 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Thinking some more. I honestly don't expect them to make any serious changes to the pairings of the siblings so any same sex pairs will have to come from supporting characters. I'd bet that one of the general series plans is to end each season showcasing the birth of a Bridgerton grandchild so they'll keep the main pairings hetero-normative. That said I think Francesca's in the best position for such a change if they are willing to go there.

Well her story might have been FAR less boring than the book with that one, but I seriously doubt they will go there.

They may, and hopefully will, expand the story of the gay man that Lucy is being forced to marry in On The Way to the Wedding.  He seemed like a good guy, and he is rather central to that story, or could be with very little tweaking.  Also, Gregory already knew him.

55 minutes ago, Katsullivan said:

 

This seems like an opportunity to genderbend Sophie and establish Benedict in a gay OTP. I would love to see an mlm spin on Cinderella.

Yeah, not for me.  Actually I'd really hate seeing any characters forced into pretending a happily married life with someone closeted.  I don't see either of them as "gay" but again, Benedict is already friends with at least one gay many in the art world, and that story could fit in nicely with theirs.  

31 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

Sophie, in turn, refuses to become his mistress because she's afraid of getting pregnant and doesn't want her children growing up like she did. Araminta gets away with making Sophie her slave and stealing her dowry in large part because of her position in society. Also they couldn't do the jail proposal+Araminta confrontation+Benedict and Violet using the full force of the Bridgerton name to free Sophie if they change her to Steven. Well, they could but they'll also have to spend seasons 2 and 3 establishing that being gay/bi is now publicly acceptable in this version of the Regency era when season 1 presented the opposite. It's doable but I'm skeptical. I think it's far more likely that they'll expand on the class obstacle that already exists from the book and leave Benedict being bi to our collective imagination.

I still don't known why she named her, what was it, their third child? Amaminta.  

They could also easily introduce the sham marriage of that art guy Benedict knows, and his wife, and how they cope with that as a couple.  

 

 

Edited by Umbelina

Share this post


Link to post

3 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

I still don't known why she named her, what was it, their third child? Amaminta.

If you mean Sophie and Benedict, their kids are: Charles, Alexander, William, and Violet. Araminta is the evil stepmother but not anyone's namesake.

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

If you mean Sophie and Benedict, their kids are: Charles, Alexander, William, and Violet. Araminta is the evil stepmother but not anyone's namesake.

Sorry!  You are correct!  It was Posy.  Oopsie.  

Quote

 

Sophie nearly fell over from the shock of it. “What?”

“I want to name her Araminta. I’m quite certain.” Posy stroked the baby’s cheek, then touched her gently under the chin.

Sophie could not seem to stop shaking her head. “But your mother…I can’t believe you would-”

“I’m not naming her for my mother,” Posy cut in gently. “I’m naming her because of my mother. It’s different.”

Sophie looked dubious, but she leaned over to get a closer peek at the baby. “She’s really quite sweet,” she murmured.

Posy smiled, never once taking her eyes off the baby’s face. “I know.”

“I suppose I could grow accustomed to it,” Sophie said, her head bobbing from side to side in acquiescence. She wiggled her finger between the baby’s hand and body, giving the palm a little tickle until the tiny fingers wrapped instinctively around her own. “Good evening, Araminta,” she said. “Very nice to meet you.”

 

https://www.you-books.com/book/J-Quinn/An-Offer-from-a-Gentleman-The-Epilogue-II

Edited by Umbelina · Reason: link
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Wow I’d forgotten that. I’m with Sophie on that one. Bad vibes choosing that name. Maybe she convinces Posy to call the poor kid Minnie. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, scarynikki12 said:

Wow I’d forgotten that. I’m with Sophie on that one. Bad vibes choosing that name. Maybe she convinces Posy to call the poor kid Minnie. 

They call her "Minty."  😉

I love the relationship between Sophie and Posy, especially near the end and in the epilogues!

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Umbelina said:

Marina's depression and suicide makes much more sense if she was forced into a marriage she never wanted.  Instead of the "then they lived happily ever after" it is a more realistic take on how a woman, forced to marry by society, falls apart.

But only in romance novels is it the norm that the everyone married for love.  Dynastic marriages where the marriages were either arranged by parents or for the maintenance of lands where there was no love or affection at the start but rather duty was not uncommon IRL.

But, interestingly, in romance novels, the forced-into-marriage trope is also very popular where they are strangers who marry for duty and end up falling in love.  So Marina managing to deal with her circumstance and settle into her life with Phillip would be realistic IRL as well as a romance novel staple.

That isn't to say they'll go there since I am skeptical they will veer too far away from book canon when it comes to the couples.  I think since Eloise's book is the fifth book (and if their hope/plan is to follow one book per season) we'll know the way the wind blows in the next few seasons wrt to Eloise.  If they, for instance, do decide to do a M/M with Benedict or if they decide to double down on Eloise balking against marriage or even if Ruby Barker comes back as Marina and we see her and Phillip getting along, then I think all bets are off with Eloise's book.  They'll have shown that they are willing to break with book canon when it comes to the main couples.

IMO, since they decided to humanize Marina and give her a real live persona and presence, It ups the stakes for her as a character in a way her not-ever-on-page character was in the books.  The audience has connected with Marina and many already see her as victimized.  To further victimize her as a depressed, suicidal woman would, imo, cast a pall over a rather light-hearted series.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

But only in romance novels is it the norm that the everyone married for love.  Dynastic marriages where the marriages were either arranged by parents or for the maintenance of lands where there was no love or affection at the start but rather duty was not uncommon IRL.

But, interestingly, in romance novels, the forced-into-marriage trope is also very popular where they are strangers who marry for duty and end up falling in love.  So Marina managing to deal with her circumstance and settle into her life with Phillip would be realistic IRL as well as a romance novel staple.

That isn't to say they'll go there since I am skeptical they will veer too far away from book canon when it comes to the couples.  I think since Eloise's book is the fifth book (and if their hope/plan is to follow one book per season) we'll know the way the wind blows in the next few seasons wrt to Eloise.  If they, for instance, do decide to do a M/M with Benedict or if they decide to double down on Eloise balking against marriage or even if Ruby Barker comes back as Marina and we see her and Phillip getting along, then I think all bets are off with Eloise's book.  They'll have shown that they are willing to break with book canon when it comes to the main couples.

IMO, since they decided to humanize Marina and give her a real live persona and presence, It ups the stakes for her as a character in a way her not-ever-on-page character was in the books.  The audience has connected with Marina and many already see her as victimized.  To further victimize her as a depressed, suicidal woman would, imo, cast a pall over a rather light-hearted series.

I love it when they are willing to break a few "romance rules" and bring in a dose of reality!  The few times Quinn manages it have been my favorite parts of the books.  

Marina is a victim, trying to make it not so seriously does not work for me.  Considering that Eloise marries her widow, and becomes mother to her children, I hope they do her story justice and show the down side of those times, and that no, there are not always "happy endings" when women are treated as less than.  Also, that IS the story Quinn told, why would the show change it?  It doesn't sound like Marina ever "got along" with Sir Philip.  The only real question I have is whether or not the twins are his, or his brother's.  That could go either way, she could have miscarried George's child.

I like the actress, so I hope we get to see her, and not just hear about it.  I think it could and should be very compelling.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/22/2021 at 1:01 PM, Andrea1957 said:

Mr Featherington was not mean. He is a man that is addicted to gambling and he believes that taking care of the children is the women’s place. He is also pathetic in that he cried when his wife found out. He never once told her what he is going to do to set things right.  

When did they say she had twins?

Lady F, when Marina is leaving, tells her to take comfort in her babies. I was listening for it, so noticed it.

Share this post


Link to post

I think she included all future possible children. There's no way Portia could have known how many babies Marina was carrying. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size