Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E05: Paradise Lost?

• Start Topic

(edited)
10 minutes ago, configdotsys said:

I thought it had something to do with Amber being "sporty" and athletic. Maybe they thought if she could talk sports with him, it would be an immediate connection of some kind.

It that's true, then the "experts" were stupid.  It's one thing to have a sports buddy, but a totally different thing to be in a marriage.

I should also add that I realize that it's not just about height and Matt still might not have been attracted even is she was 5'9." The other side of that is maybe being short, she might not have wanted to be married to a guy so tall.   Of course, she definitely seems attracted to him so good for her.  Unfortunately, things might not work out for her.  I don't know is she had slowed her roll that things might be different because it's hard to read Matt.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, qtpye said:

What did he say about Amber on unfiltered? On the wedding day did he have the typical “she’s beautiful” response that every groom has had on this show since season 1 (maybe with the exception of Luke). I just don’t remember his wedding day reaction.

He said he was "disappointed", which IIRC was in regard to her height, but I got the feeling it was an overall disappointment, but he wasn't going to actually say it.  Amber is cute, but on the plainer side, & I think Matt felt as an athlete he should have a hot wife & he's bummed.

1 hour ago, Gem 10 said:

I have always believed in love at first sight.  There has to be an attraction from the start.  The few couples on this show that make it are just lucky.  Learning to love someone is hard.  I’ve tried it long ago and it didn’t work for me, but the minute I met my husband, fireworks from day one.  Not for everyone, but just my opinion.  I think Matt feels stuck and losing interest.  I feel bad for Amber.

I think it could go either way; it depends on the couple/people involved. I'm not sure I've witnessed any love at first sight on this show, except for maybe Bobby (not Danielle).  I tend to think it mostly needs time & effort to grow into love - you're very blessed!

I do feel bad for Amber too; I think she's going to get hurt (& she is getting hurt already).

1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

I don't see Jamie as arrogant but again YMMV. 

Not arrogance, but I do think he's cold & might lack empathy. I don't trust him at all  & agree something is "off" with him.

29 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Which makes me wonder about Jamie Otis and Doug.  She obviously wasn't attracted to him immediately and yet she is supposedly crazy about him now.  I've never really bought that to be honest.  Speaking of her, did anybody notice that she was actually wearing a different outfit in this week's "Unfiltered"?  I almost fell off my couch.  I actually didn't hate it for a change, LOL.

I think JamieO saw Doug as her way to get more gigs - sounds cold & nasty but she is such a fame whore that's what I think. Although I do see some chemistry between them, I don't think she's really into him as he's more of a means to an end (family, some 'fame', etc).

Yeah I was surprised on the clothing change as well - both Amber & Liz, who had been on the show before, were also dressed differently. Someone in charge has been reading our comments LOL.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Gurkel said:

It seems like you're damned if you do, damned if you don't on this show. If you're eager to get to know the stranger you impulsively married and try to make things work, you get called thirsty and desperate (Amber) or disingenuous (Jamie and Liz). If you're understandably hesitant and distant with the stranger that you impulsively married, you're called a cold, frigid, distant, selfish asshole who's probably hiding something (Deonna and Matt. And sometimes Keith. Jepthe and Jasmine in prior seasons). 

I think that there's a healthy distance that can be had by the spouses in order to learn about each other. The criticism that I levy against these people is because some of them are just so over the top, like Amber. The overly affectionate, lovey dovey stuff with someone you met a few days ago reeks of desperation to have a warm body. It's like she doesn't even know this guy yet but he's everything she ever wanted. She says this about a stranger. 

Deonna is right to be hesitant but her delivery sucks. She talks down to Greg and comes across as "I know better than you" kind of way. Again, not the way to start out on equal footing. That she didn't flip out (her words or something similar) to hearing that Greg had a previous fiance that he lived with, to me, is not worthy of praise. The fact that she had to talk herself out of flipping out is what speaks volumes to me. She seems to have a better time in a group than one on one with Greg.

I guess the show would be boring if we didn't have over the top stuff. I would have to say that Keith and Iris, even though I'm not a fan of hers and just don't see the "gorgeous couple" that others see (I'm just too skeptical since he was recruited), seem be on the best path of getting to know one another without the over the top behavior of some of the others. 

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

He said he was "disappointed", which IIRC was in regard to her height, but I got the feeling it was an overall disappointment, but he wasn't going to actually say it.  Amber is cute, but on the plainer side, & I think Matt felt as an athlete he should have a hot wife & he's bummed.

That last line up there made me think of Flo and Jamie, "Sprinkles are for winners." 

• LOL 5
23 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

Matt's never been into Amber. Instead of slowing her roll he's having the sex, but is already over it & thinking about his break plan. What with her history of handing over paychecks & now prematurely offering her financial support, Amber's coming off desperate & vulnerable- not a good combination. She had been annoying me but I'm starting to feel badly for her. And I'm starting to despise Matt. He's probably another guy who thought he'd get an Instagram model or someone super hot just because he's an athlete. He comes off as an insincere doofus & I don't trust him.

I think part of what bothers Matt is the height differential.  He thinks it makes them look ridiculous -- and it does.  Many years ago when I was young and dating, I went on a date through a personal ad with a guy who turned out to be 6'4".  I was at the time 4'10" tall (less now, alas -- damn aging!).  He was very nice but he let me know gently that this was one date and that the height differential was a dealbreaker.  He was very kind about it and it seemed to really be that he couldn't get past that.  We had a nice dinner with some laughs and then hugged each other goodbye and wished each other well.  I always remember him fondly because he was a gentleman about it when he could have been an @zzhole.  

A seventeen-inch height differential is a very big deal.  My eventual husband was six feet tall and we looked ridiculous enough.  Even holding hands at that differential is hard, never mind keeping up with walking.  Amber looks like his 10-year-old daughter from a distance when they're together and I think Matt knows it.

• Useful 4
  • Love 13
(edited)
8 hours ago, STRIDER1 said:

OMG this has got to be hands down the best and funniest quote Ive read so far on this forum

Im 100% serious too, this just jumped to #1 on my all time favorites list hahaha

If I could have like it a million times I would have, and would still be clicking away on my mouse right now to give u those 1 million likes lol

Just too funny hahaha lmao lol  🤣🤣🤣

giphy.gif

Aw, shucks.  Thanks!

I sure hope Jamie has a BD, considering Liz's Black Hole of a V.   Don't get too close!  Protect your small pets and children....  it has it's on gravitational pull....  

Edited by Stella Rose
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2
25 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

I think JamieO saw Doug as her way to get more gigs - sounds cold & nasty but she is such a fame whore that's what I think. Although I do see some chemistry between them, I don't think she's really into him as he's more of a means to an end (family, some 'fame', etc).

Him saying disappointed in regards to anything is really telling. I don't think they'll make it, but any of us could have guessed that. I think we'll be more surprised if they make it.

I agree about Jamie/Doug. I think she sees him as necessary evil (he's not evil, but you know). She wants more kids, her brand is built off their marriage, some things the sponsors send them are for a man, etc. 

• Love 7
16 minutes ago, aphroditewitch said:

In the end Amber is going to be the one with far more to be disappointed about than Matt. If a guy is a jerk towards you this early on, it is never going to improve. 

Matt definitely lost me when Amber, teary eyed and somber said in the selfie cam that he told her he was was pissed and said she humiliated him about money and then he played it all cool like it never happened when they were on camera. 

• Love 14
(edited)
13 hours ago, Stella Rose said:

Matt...  he just seems like a dick.  I think poor Amber will be  written as the victim of this season.  He has already said in multiple interviews how disappointed he was that she is tiny.  Really?  DICK.

For whatever reasons, this couple is a big fail and I blame the so-called experts for this. I do remember Pepper saying that he said he would like someone taller so they were well aware of that and just ignored it and matched them anyway. He may very well be an utter dick, but she was slobbering all over him from the minute she saw him and comes off so desperate. I do feel bad for her though. It would be a shock if they actually make it.

Edited by lizajane
Added something.
  • Useful 2
  • Love 11
(edited)
2 hours ago, Ohwell said:

It that's true, then the "experts" were stupid.  It's one thing to have a sports buddy, but a totally different thing to be in a marriage.

I should also add that I realize that it's not just about height and Matt still might not have been attracted even is she was 5'9." The other side of that is maybe being short, she might not have wanted to be married to a guy so tall.   Of course, she definitely seems attracted to him so good for her.  Unfortunately, things might not work out for her.  I don't know is she had slowed her roll that things might be different because it's hard to read Matt.

1 hour ago, gonecrackers said:

I think it could go either way; it depends on the couple/people involved. I'm not sure I've witnessed any love at first sight on this show, except for maybe Bobby (not Danielle).  I tend to think it mostly needs time & effort to grow into love - you're very blessed!

I do feel bad for Amber too; I think she's going to get hurt (& she is getting hurt already).

Not arrogance, but I do think he's cold & might lack empathy. I don't trust him at all  & agree something is "off" with him.

Yeah I was surprised on the clothing change as well - both Amber & Liz, who had been on the show before, were also dressed differently. Someone in charge has been reading our comments LOL.

1 hour ago, brilliantbreakfast said:

I think part of what bothers Matt is the height differential.  He thinks it makes them look ridiculous -- and it does.  Many years ago when I was young and dating, I went on a date through a personal ad with a guy who turned out to be 6'4".  I was at the time 4'10" tall (less now, alas -- damn aging!).  He was very nice but he let me know gently that this was one date and that the height differential was a dealbreaker.  He was very kind about it and it seemed to really be that he couldn't get past that.  We had a nice dinner with some laughs and then hugged each other goodbye and wished each other well.  I always remember him fondly because he was a gentleman about it when he could have been an @zzhole.  

A seventeen-inch height differential is a very big deal.  My eventual husband was six feet tall and we looked ridiculous enough.  Even holding hands at that differential is hard, never mind keeping up with walking.  Amber looks like his 10-year-old daughter from a distance when they're together and I think Matt knows it.

The thing about this is I remember them asking Matt specifically about the height difference and as he had dated a 5’2” woman in the past and I think he okayed it. It was similar to how they asked Ricky Bobby If he was okay with his wife being older than him. I could be remembering this wrong.

Sadly, I actually do not think it’s her height. He’s just not into her and the height does not help and serves as a convenient excuse. I have a feeling if she was a bit more of a bombshell and less cute and sporty, he would not have a problem with her height at all. This does not make him a bad guy but it really does set Amber up for hurt.

If you are named Amber, do not go in this show. This is the second Amber that is probably going to get her heart broken by a tall doofus.

Edited by qtpye
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 10
5 hours ago, configdotsys said:

I know they got over it but the "I'm not a mind reader," attitude that he had just showed a serious lack of empathy or something. It wasn't like, "Oh, I'm sorry everything got messed up," it was "Why should I care?" and comments like that. The tone he used would make me crazy. Not a fan of Elizabeth but my face would have looked just like hers if someone took that attitude with me.

Agreed, but I think this whole thing could have been avoided if Beth just told him right away that she was going to their room to wash off her sandy vag before having lunch.

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I was thinking about a term I heard on another show I watch - I think Jamie has BDE (Big Dick Energy), LOL. 

I watch Younger too, but I wouldn't qualify Jamie as having BDE. On Younger, Lauren accuses Kelsey of having BDE when she uses her real job title on dating apps and tells her it's too intimidating to potential guys. I think of someone more Alpha like Jon (fiance of Dr. Jess) as having BDE, not someone like Jamie - he's too quiet and unassuming, not to mention snarky and sullen when fighting with E. If there was a term for LDE, I would use Fireman Ryan as the prototype 😜

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Soup333 said:

Him saying disappointed in regards to anything is really telling. I don't think they'll make it, but any of us could have guessed that. I think we'll be more surprised if they make it.

I agree about Jamie/Doug. I think she sees him as necessary evil (he's not evil, but you know). She wants more kids, her brand is built off their marriage, some things the sponsors send them are for a man, etc. 

I just hope Amber is okay. She's been hurt by boyfriends before. 

I didn't watch all of Season 1. Will someone tell me briefly tell me when JamieO's feelings about Doug evolved from being repulsed him at the wedding to having children with him and laughing about having sex while on her period and taking a cleansing shower afterward? 

• LOL 1
On 7/10/2019 at 8:44 PM, Ohwell said:

I noticed Jamie was in bed with his watch on.  

Because they are being filmed so they are not really going to bed or getting up.

On 7/10/2019 at 8:52 PM, PityFree said:

Jamie: burn that hat. Never wear it again.

I know why he was wearing it. A burnt bald head can be painful. My husband and son-in-law both wear that type of hat on the beach. It looks dorky but it really protects, much more than a baseball cap. I give him credit for wearing it.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

Someone upthread mentioned that his body resembles the body of somebody who has lost a lot of weight recently. Maybe this is the case with Jamie. Maybe he was extremely overweight and doesn't have very much relationship experience. Maybe this is why he comes across cold and lacking empathy. It could also be the reason I find his kissing scenes so awkward. It could also be the reason he is "in love" so early in the game.

I don't think he has BDE. A guy with BDE draws attention without demanding it.

image.png.7d2640da9481cb0358df1f081e43c4d5.png

2 hours ago, brilliantbreakfast said:

I think part of what bothers Matt is the height differential.  He thinks it makes them look ridiculous -- and it does.  

I agree and I think he's gonna end up The Hunchback of North Carolina if he stays with Amber.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
On 7/10/2019 at 9:57 PM, PityFree said:

Oh, Iris.  Iris you need to call my mom and talk to her about how she trained my dad to never leave a toilet lid or seat up. Trust me. 

My husband learned to put the seat back down after I screamed as I sat on the seatless bowl in the middle of the night. It never happened again.

On 7/10/2019 at 10:05 PM, Adeejay said:

Amber seems to have lost her spark.  I have a feeling something happened off camera. 

I wonder how long Jamie will tolerate Elizabeth's swing moods before he snaps. 

She looked really seasick. She just kept it to herself unlike drama queen Elizabeth.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I don't see Jamie as arrogant but again YMMV.  I'm originally from NYC and I realize that a lot of  New Yorkers would seem arrogant on the surface to a lot of people just by virtue of that, so I guess I'm seeing him with slightly different eyes than most.  I know he's not a New Yorker but he reminds me of one.  I will agree with you that he's approaching this marriage like another business partnership and that concerns me.  That demeanor coupled with using the "L" word so soon somehow doesn't add up or feel right.  So that's why I'm not firm in my judgment of him as a person just yet.  Something seems a bit off.

There is absolutely nothing I find sexy about Matt.  I think he's a jerk.  He's already said and done some things to confirm that for me too so it's not just a visceral thing.

I just realized who Matt reminds me of in some ways.  Penny's boyfriend Zack on "Big Bang Theory".  Not too bright.

Jamie is in love with those boobs and all the sex he’s getting.  He’s in heaven right now until he realizes what a handful Elizabeth is.  Wait until her father gets him, haha.

• LOL 3
  • Love 8
47 minutes ago, retired watcher said:

My husband learned to put the seat back down after I screamed as I sat on the seatless bowl in the middle of the night. It never happened again.

The same thing happened to me.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, lizajane said:

Agreed, but I think this whole thing could have been avoided if Beth just told him right away that she was going to their room to wash off her sandy vag before having lunch.

I agree with you that that situation could have been avoided but couples have conflicts and if that is the type of attitude he takes now-- especially when he's supposed to be in the over the moon phase-- Elizabeth is in for a rough ride. 

• Love 4

I can't help but wonder if Matt came on the show with thoughts of getting some publicity with a broadcasting career in mind. He seems like a bright guy who expresses himself well, though he hasn't done himself any favors if indeed he's outed as a cad with Amber. 

Since I don't think this is a spoiler zone I won't elaborate but he wouldn't be the only person to come on the show with possibly a similar idea (NOT that there would be anything wrong with that if said contestant is also looking for love and not just a fame ho)  

12 minutes ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

I can't help but wonder if Matt came on the show with thoughts of getting some publicity with a broadcasting career in mind. He seems like a bright guy who expresses himself well, though he hasn't done himself any favors if indeed he's outed as a cad with Amber. 

I can't figure out why Matt came on this show. Maybe, like other past male contestants, he thought he was going to get matched with an Instagram model or a Beyonce look-alike. 

I still think Matt is cute, but IMHO he's a few light bulbs short of being bright. Also, if he expressed himself well, he would communicate better with Amber instead of hitting her with a passive-aggressive back door exit plan like the potential basketball contract. He also wouldn't lie down in bed casually asking her what's wrong when he knew he'd just chastised her off-camera for offering to be a supportive wife while he opened his business. Why couldn't have told Amber during the meal that he doesn't want her to think he's broke? 

• Love 9
5 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I just realized who Matt reminds me of in some ways.  Penny's boyfriend Zack on "Big Bang Theory".  Not too bright

This made me laugh and now I won’t be able to not see him as that. And the more I see of Matt the more I think Zack might be the winner in a comparison. 

Speaker of BDE. Henry Cavill reads thirst tweets and talks about it. I think it’s about halfway through but it’s all pretty funny. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 7/10/2019 at 9:41 PM, Ohwell said:

Did Amber say she made $80k teaching?  

I checked the salary schedules for doctorate degrees and 30 years experience (as that's where I would be) and it's $77,000.  So, I don't know how she would be at $80,000.

Just to add I went to the Charlotte-Mecklenberg school district site to find the salary schedules-didn't know her education level so just looked up the highest salary as anyone not earning the highest would be somewhere below it so she is probably in the $40,000 range.

Edited by seacliffsal
to clarify where I found the info
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, retired watcher said:

She looked really seasick. She just kept it to herself unlike drama queen Elizabeth.

Matt kissing Amber when she was on the verge of throwing up...really brave or really dumb? I'm going with dumb.

He's probably dumb enough to believe Amber's salary flex. She didn't think he'd look it up, but WE did and we demand pay stubs.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Ohwell said:

The same thing happened to me.  

I have no problem putting the seat down. I live alone and do it. It's just not a thing to me. But, why does anyone sit down anywhere without looking? I know sometimes you are half sleep or whatnot but I still wouldn't just sit down without looking.

• Love 5
20 hours ago, OnTime said:

What season did they start having the couples meet each other? I know they did it in S6 with Shawniece/Jept and Jackie and what's his name.   Seems that is helping with successes.

S2,3,4 they didn't met the other couples.

Im not 100% positive but I think it was season 5 was when they first started that

With danielle/cody, sheila/nate, ashley/anthony

Maybe someone else who remembers can confirm that as well?

Here’s my short end of the stick list: Keith, Greg and Amber. In order: Keith is being nice and understanding with the virgin queen but her act is getting old. She didn’t just save her virginity for her future husband she appears to be frozen, stiff and uncomfortable about sex. She has a great looking guy who is cool and a gentleman and she has an iron clad chastity belt on and she won’t give Keith the key. I hope he moves on.

Greg is a gem. He got stuck with prickly Miss Priss. Her comment about stop with all the compliments was annoying. He’s trying to be nice to you. Accept the compliment, say thanks and smile. That’s it. Don’t complain about everything and put Greg down every time he opens his mouth.

Amber, Matt is one of those guys whose identity is wrapped up in the fact he’s been an athlete his whole life. He likes that image. He’s not going to give that up easily. Amber should move on and find someone who wants to be married to her. It’s not Matt.

As far as Jamie and Elizabeth, neither got the short end of the stick. Neither one is a prize. She’s a self absorbed, daddy’s girl, drama queen and he likes her physical attributes that are always on full display. That’s about it for their connection.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, configdotsys said:

Born, raised and still here in NYC so I totally get the perceived arrogance thing.

Me three.  So far, I don't have an opinion about Jamie; however, I find his wife crass and annoying.  I don't trust Matt.  As Betty's father on "Mad Men" told her with regard to her husband, Don (Jon Hamm) "Never trust a man who doesn't have family."

• Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, STRIDER1 said:

Im not 100% positive but I think it was season 5 was when they first started that

With danielle/cody, sheila/nate, ashley/anthony

Maybe someone else who remembers can confirm that as well?

Yes that's when all 3 couples first met - Chicago season. They didn't meet on the honeymoon, though; not until after (not sure which episode number) at a dinner. The first 3 couples to meet on the honeymoon & continue throughout the season were the Boston couples.

However, in the Miami season right before Chicago, they had Nick/Sonia & Bus guy/Realtor (can't recall either of their names) meet for a meal together, but it was after they were all married for a while & I think the season was almost over.

Someone can confirm (or not) my memory of it all.

Edited by gonecrackers
clarification
  • Love 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, qtpye said:

If you are named Amber, do not go in this show. This is the second Amber that is probably going to get her heart broken by a tall doofus.

Or named Jaclyn for that matter, both of them got royally !@#$%& by dumb ass Ryans 

As did Jessica in S2 with her "Im gonna kill u and your whole family" Ryan.  Yikes !!!

Edited by STRIDER1
  • Love 6
(edited)
7 hours ago, qtpye said:

The thing about this is I remember them asking Matt specifically about the height difference and as he had dated a 5’2” woman in the past and I think he okayed it. It was similar to how they asked Ricky Bobby If he was okay with his wife being older than him. I could be remembering this wrong.

Sadly, I actually do not think it’s her height. He’s just not into her and the height does not help and serves as a convenient excuse. I have a feeling if she was a bit more of a bombshell and less cute and sporty, he would not have a problem with her height at all. This does not make him a bad guy but it really does set Amber up for hurt.

I think Amber would have taken anybody that wore pants, tall or short.  She just wants to be married.  The experts screwed up again, royally.  That was a ridiculous match.  What were they thinking?  They both liked basketball?

Edited by Gem 10
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, Racj82 said:

I have no problem putting the seat down. I live alone and do it. It's just not a thing to me. But, why does anyone sit down anywhere without looking? I know sometimes you are half sleep or whatnot but I still wouldn't just sit down without looking.

It’s not the sitting down where a lid or seat is up that’s the problem.  The seat should never be up because the lid should always be closed.  An open toilet is just gross.  Having an open toilet where things could fall in or people flushing it without closing the lid (so  you get germs and other gross things flying around the room) are gross.  Open toilet lid is also very bad feng shui.

ETA:  do we know that Amber teaches at public school?  Maybe she teaches at a private school where the salary schedules are much different. Or maybe she’s including all of her benefits in her stated salary.

Edited by PityFree
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I was thinking about a term I heard on another show I watch - I think Jamie has BDE (Big Dick Energy), LOL.  He's not classically attractive but there's something about him.  He's supposedly very successful in his career (whatever that is, I didn't catch that) and I can understand why.  He radiates success and quiet self-confidence.  BDE.

oh man please please don't take this personally but this made me laugh. You think Baldcap Jerry Seinfeld has BDE??? Of course everyone gets an opinion, but some 35-year-old weenie who wears a sunhat and blurts out "I love you" to some rando sunburnt woman he's known less than a week because she made him cum (and likely professed this alleged love during said climax) screams more "adult virgin" than BDE, imo.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3
22 minutes ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

oh man please please don't take this personally but this made me laugh. You think Baldcap Jerry Seinfeld has BDE??? 

I think that Brain Dead Energy is the more likely scenario here hahaha 🤣😂

brain-dead.jpg

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, MAFSwatcher said:

For all my Married At First Sight, fans here is a good review of Season 9 Episode 5.

Are you secretly advertising your own YouTube channel just to get more views? just curious lol

U only have 2 posts in this forum and both of your posts has the same link to the same channel/couple who do episode recaps

Your 1st post was for episode 4, this one is for episode 5

It does seems like that its more than just a coincidence no? hahaha

Edited by STRIDER1
  • Useful 6
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, PityFree said:

It’s not the sitting down where a lid or seat is up that’s the problem.  The seat should never be up because the lid should always be closed.  An open toilet is just gross.  Having an open toilet where things could fall in or people flushing it without closing the lid (so  you get germs and other gross things flying around the room) are gross.  Open toilet lid is also very bad feng shui.

OMG, in that case, in my house there is a gender reversal. My husband insists on closing the lid. He doesn't flush until it's closed. I hate it cuz i don't want to bother with opening it. 

Yes, i KNOW that he is correct germs-wise and all, but still.

2 hours ago, PityFree said:

ETA:  do we know that Amber teaches at public school?  Maybe she teaches at a private school where the salary schedules are much different. Or maybe she’s including all of her benefits in her stated salary.

Where I live, private school teachers make less than public school teachers. They don't require their teacher certification.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, PityFree said:

Private schools usually pay less than public ones...

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I was curious, so asked my PS SPED teacher friend who has a master's about Amber making 80K as a teacher, & she said Amber would have to have a doctorate/PhD and then would make about 60K, so my friend thought she might have a side business. Her words: There's no way with a bachelor's or master's she'd make that much.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Blissfool said:

Where I live, private school teachers make less than public school teachers. They don't require their teacher certification.

25 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

Private schools usually pay less than public ones...

Depends on what you mean by private school. There are catholic and other religious schools in which teachers make very little pay but independent, private schools can pay more than public schools do. Some by a lot. I have a friend in NY with a masters who was looking to possibly hop over to the public school system from her private school teaching gig but saw that if she did, she'd take a large pay cut. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, PityFree said:

I don’t know if Lincoln is her current school but I think it is. I looked up her info and found that she was teaching two years ago making 41k a year. I think that was a different school but I’m not sure.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 7/12/2019 at 7:30 AM, configdotsys said:

Born, raised and still here in NYC so I totally get the perceived arrogance thing. There is just something so empty and wooden about him, like a stick in the mud, no genuine smile or joy. Everything feels transactional. It's like he never learned how to have fun or something. I agree with you that something is a definitely a bit off there. 

So funny you phrased it that way....I too was born and bred in NYC but left many years ago.  However, I totally concur on the "perceived arrogance thing."

I have a son-in-law who matches your description of Matt to a TTTTTT!!!  In 17 yrs, no genuine smile or joy, empty, wooden, no fun, everything "canned and scripted"....your exact quoted analysis. 

I will now view the show through a more perceptive lens, thanks to YOU!!  LOLOL....

• Love 2
1 hour ago, pdlinda said:

So funny you phrased it that way....I too was born and bred in NYC but left many years ago.  However, I totally concur on the "perceived arrogance thing."

I have a son-in-law who matches your description of Matt to a TTTTTT!!!  In 17 yrs, no genuine smile or joy, empty, wooden, no fun, everything "canned and scripted"....your exact quoted analysis. 

I will now view the show through a more perceptive lens, thanks to YOU!!  LOLOL....

I believe @configdotsys was referring to Jamie.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Soup333 said:

I don’t know if Lincoln is her current school but I think it is. I looked up her info and found that she was teaching two years ago making 41k a year. I think that was a different school but I’m not sure.

Our state has a teacher's salaries listed and they are also 1-2 off but pretty close to the same unless it is a 10 year raise or getting additional degree.

My guess for her extra income could be online teaching English in Asia. I wonder how some of my neighbors were stay at home moms and living well. They are all college grads (I live in Utah) but  have larger families and stay at home. Several are teaching English online to China or other Asian countries, if you have a degree (teaching degree pays better) you can make $25-30 a hr and you do not need to speak their language. I know the moms in my area are making 30-35k a year and pick their hours  and it is great because no childcare costs because it is done from home. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 7/12/2019 at 1:43 PM, qtpye said:

Did I miss that?  I don't remember them asking Matt specifically about the height difference.  All I remember is in the segment where the experts were deciding which couples to pick for the show that Dr. Pepper said that Matt had mentioned to her previously that he had dated a woman that was 5'2" in the past so she thought he would be OK with it.  I remember thinking that was a big assumption to make and wondered why she didn't ask him if he would be OK being matched with one now.  I also remember thinking that this was the choice for most ridiculous couple because the other option in question was the woman that was a professional organizer matched with a messy guy.  Either one would have been a risky match, but of course I think that was by design.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 4