Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E02: Something Borrowed, Something New

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, Blissfool said:

I prefer subtle makeup too. Iris' wedding makeup was nice. She looked beautiful. Like a model. BUT, as the preview comes rolling around, we see her without makeup. She looked different. Still pretty, but different. 

8 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

I could look at Iris and Keith all day - they are so good looking!

I liked the preview with the 2 of them lying in bed wearing glasses. Both still really cute, but they're growing comfortable with one another and didn't mind going au naturel. 

1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

I'd like to say that I like the men better this season but I don't trust Matt at all.  First of all, I think he's a bonehead (not too bright) and secondly, I feel like his eyes don't give off trustworthiness, like he's lying about what he's saying or he's hiding something.  His reaction to his own parents' divorce might have come out of a 14 year old's mouth.  Is he that immature that he doesn't understand how even long term relationships can end?  He's reacting emotionally like he's much younger.  Sure, no one can be that objective about their parents divorcing, but at his age he should be able to react more maturely than that.

In the words of Olympia Dukakis in Steel Magnolias, there's a story there.

I understand being sad and upset about your parents' divorce. There might even be feelings of betrayal. But I agree with Yeah No. He's an adult. And it happened almost two years ago. Grow a pair, man. 

He didn't invite either of his parents to the wedding? Did he have any other family members there: cousins, aunts & uncles, siblings, etc? 

It's like he doesn't want his wife to know about his family. That might tell her too much about who he really is. Or maybe his family is just really dysfunctional and embarrassing. But would everyone be that way? What is Matt hiding? Duh-Duh-Duh. 

But that tall drink of water is hella cute. I'm with Amber. I'd climb that tree, too. 😉

• LOL 5
  • Love 10

Some women look very different with & without makeup, even if it's used subtly. I thought there was a big difference with Iris; she's still lovely, but a much plainer lovely. Any man should be loving his wife regardless, & that's what he's signed up for (supposedly).

I liked all the brides' makeup looks, with the exception of Elizabeth. I think she was going for a 1950's pinup girl look, but she couldn't pull it off. I had a chuckle at Jamie's mom telling her she was the "young lady" for her son, as if she had some class, all while Elizabeth sat there flashing her nipple at the world. Yes, she's quite the "young lady". 🙄

I agree with @Yeah No about Matt - seems not too bright & I also feel, not really into Amber, but then she's going to tire him quickly with that immature fan-gurl crap.  I will say that when you estrange from parents it can also estrange you from the rest of the family for various reasons, so that may be why no family was there, however, I also believe there's more to his story.

Iris seems sweet however, I'm getting an actress-y vibe, but we know they never hire plants...

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Deonna's horrific eyeshadow didn't do her any favors.  I think she has one of those cute faces that needs just a little bit of makeup.   

That seems to be a trend. Women are wearing this air strips of glittery gold or silver pain over their eye lashes. I saw a lot of this look last month at high school proms. 

I don't find it attractive at all. It doesn't enhance a woman's looks. It makes her look like she's just gotten her makeup done for a stage production of The Wiz. 

Deonna does have beautiful eyes, and the makeup artist used the right amount of eyeliner and mascara to enhance their almond shape. She did not need all of that gold shit on top, however. LOL

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I love a bit of sparkle. It wouldn't ever work on me but I like it on others, especially brighter sparkle against darker skin as both Deonna & Iris had. I think Iris' look was done much better though. If one can ever do a bit of sparkle it would definitely be on their wedding day.

• Love 2

Did I miss something with Matt? I actually watched the casting show this year, which I don't always and his extreme reaction to his parents divorce seems odd to me. Full disclosure, my parents are still married after 40+ years so I have no idea how I would react. However, for them to not even be told about the wedding I feel like something major must have happened, more than just a marriage ending. There's a bigger story here and my therapist brain wants to know!

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

JMO but we women are never too old to sparkle. 😉

Hear hear!!! Full disclosure - I will be turning 47 on Monday, and I wear some form of shimmer eyeshadow almost every day! My sister thinks my catchphrase should be “I love glitter”......

I think it’s funny that all of the makeup discussions are centered around Deonna and Iris, but the one that really struck me was Amber - she doesn’t seem to wear makeup at all in her normal life, but was going full glam at the wedding. I don’t really understand trying to look like a completely different person than you normally are just because it’s your wedding. If you normally wear makeup, it’s not too big of a stretch, bout to go from nothing to glam is weird to me.

And the less said about Elizabeth’s the better......

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
34 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

I love a bit of sparkle. It wouldn't ever work on me but I like it on others, especially brighter sparkle against darker skin as both Deonna & Iris had. I think Iris' look was done much better though. If one can ever do a bit of sparkle it would definitely be on their wedding day.

31 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I think it's one thing to wear all that eye sparkle to the prom, but when you're a grown woman it just looks stupid.  JMHO

27 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

JMO but we women are never too old to sparkle. 😉

I think all of the brides looked nice--even Big Red.

I liked Iris' makeup because it merely enhanced her beauty. Her makeup didn't overshadow her face.

I didn't hate Deonna's sparkle, but I thought it was a bit much. It made her look Made Up, rather than wearing makeup that accentuated her natural beauty. 

• Love 3
52 minutes ago, sara416 said:

Did I miss something with Matt? I actually watched the casting show this year, which I don't always and his extreme reaction to his parents divorce seems odd to me. Full disclosure, my parents are still married after 40+ years so I have no idea how I would react. However, for them to not even be told about the wedding I feel like something major must have happened, more than just a marriage ending. There's a bigger story here and my therapist brain wants to know!

When Amber was telling him her parents divorced because her mom came out as lesbian, Matt said something like, “Yeah, similar situation as me.” And I was all: Oh no, the experts think they’re a match because they both have one gay parent.  I wouldn’t put it past the experts to match a couple for something that arbitrary, but I don’t think that’s what Matt’s situation is. Somebody probably cheated with a family friend or something and now it’s kind of awkward.

Keith didn’t seem all that phased that Iris is a virgin. And I want to give him major points for not running to his friends and talking about it. He came out way more mature than his mom even.

He is also extremely affectionate in a different way than the other men. Every couple was kissy, but the men were then kind of stiff when it was time to dance. Keith went in for the full on body contact hug while dancing and he was talking really close and focusing on his partner the whole time. Iris and Keith didn’t even notice Iris’ drama king Dad having a meltdown. I have to admit, Keith is kind of dreamy and probably gets lots of dates, so why would he need to get MAFS?

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
20 minutes ago, Gurkel said:

I didn't hate Deonna's sparkle, but I thought it was a bit much. It made her look Made Up, rather than wearing makeup that accentuated her natural beauty. 

To me makeup doesn't seem to change Deonna's look as much as it does for Iris. With or without her heavy sparkle, I can still see the same Deonna. For Iris, I saw a very different person w/o the makeup - not bad, just different.  It was the same with Shawniece, as someone above mentioned.

For Big Red, the heavy makeup is aging; she looks considerably younger without it, so a lighter touch would be more flattering.

25 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

I think it’s funny that all of the makeup discussions are centered around Deonna and Iris, but the one that really struck me was Amber - she doesn’t seem to wear makeup at all in her normal life, but was going full glam at the wedding. I don’t really understand trying to look like a completely different person than you normally are just because it’s your wedding. If you normally wear makeup, it’s not too big of a stretch, bout to go from nothing to glam is weird to me.

I noticed as well, since on Unfiltered she's at most maybe wearing some foundation. I also pictured her in a simpler gown, but I know they have limited options.  Maybe she felt like she had to wear it for that day & it would go better with her dress. If she doesn't normally wear makeup she probably couldn't wait to get it all washed off that evening.

30 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

Hear hear!!! Full disclosure - I will be turning 47 on Monday, and I wear some form of shimmer eyeshadow almost every day! My sister thinks my catchphrase should be “I love glitter”......

Happy birthday - sparkle on!

• Love 4

I'm sure you all are tired of me posting, but I'm so bored at work! People are leaving early in droves on this sunny Friday afternoon, but I can't. And the boards are quiet today. I guess everyone is skipping town for the weekend.

Anyway, back on topic: 

14 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

The previews of Amber and Matt look horrible, I’m not sure if I should believe them or not, but it looks Mia and Tristan levels bad.....

I wonder if that preview a set up are not. Basketball players have a stereotype for being bad cheaters. But would Matt be stupid enough to cheat on Amber, or even flirt with another woman, while being a contestant on a reality show where he got married? 

Matt seems full of secrets, though. So who knows?

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Yeah No said:

They could end up almost like another Vanessa and Tres.  They are a beautifully stunning couple to look at, though. 

There is a huge difference between Keith/Iris and Tres/Vanessa. Keith voluntarily signed on to the show, whereas Tres was recruited.  I will never forget the look on Vanessa's face when she asked Tres why he signed up for the show and he told her that he was recruited.  After that, things started to go south. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, sara416 said:

Me too!  Mr P's parents are divorced; at the time of our wedding he hadn't spoken to his dad in @5 years and I didn't meet they guy until 10 years into the marriage.  And on his mom's side she's frequently "not speaking to" him, or me; his brother won't talk to us or the mom for @12 years, but talks to the dad - they're all insane.  When I finally did meet the dad none of Mr P's siblings knew if the kid from his second marriage was their half sibling or just the wife's daughter.  So when I got the chance I asked her - she is his daughter, but the mom has another one that's not his, but no one has spoken to her in years!  None of this was made known to me at our first meeting, even without TV cameras, so I can give Matt the benefit of the doubt until he tells us his story.

1 hour ago, topanga said:

I wonder if that preview a set up are not. Basketball players have a stereotype for being bad cheaters. But would Matt be stupid enough to cheat on Amber, or even flirt with another woman, while being a contestant on a reality show where he got married? 

Matt seems full of secrets, though. So who knows?

Well, Nate had a secret girlfriend I believe - didn't Sheila find her shoes in the car?  And even the homely Basement had a secret girlfriend throughout filming, from what I recall.  He would film with Jacqueline and then run home under the guise of taking care of his mother and nephew.  So why not Matt? 😄 

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
On 6/20/2019 at 7:31 AM, humbleopinion said:

Production did a good job with the venue.

The flowers and flowering trees very nice.

Just a couple of heavy tatted bridesmaid ...but these brides just had a smattering, like Amber's ink across her back.

Tony....blubbering drama queen..stop it, Ving Rhames..

Ronnie...your jealousy of your SIL JerrySeinfeld has everyone cringing...

Keith went sock less but he was wearing the correct tux loafer.

Jamie was sock less but he should have worn a pair to match his pants' color because of the laced shoe he is wearing.

Greg has a petite head stuck on his shoulders... his bow tie accentuated his lack of neck....

Daddy’s nickname for Eliz is Chardonnay...a common drag queen name....

”When I lie... it will be in your arms”...that will come back to bite our wine bride.

Chardonnay is the type who is always late...they have to make an entrance and likes the attention of people waiting for them...

Amanda Strider...good catch of the bouquet...nice rack, just saying....no disrespect....

The words “petite head” made me giggle. I am an idiot.

On 6/20/2019 at 7:43 AM, Empress1 said:

Elizabeth is always late ("I like to think I'm punctual," girl, stop; given that she said her dad would disagree, I'm guessing she's consistently late for work. I bet the non-family employees at that business can't stand her) and is the kind of woman who is taken care of (she should know how to renew her fucking registration and she should be embarrassed that her father does that for her, she's grown), she's kind of brash and loud, and sorry, but her relationship with her dad is creepy. Doesn't she have a lot of siblings? Does her dad spoil all of them like he does her? If not, do they resent her? It didn't seem like Jamie was quite feeling her, although he does want to sleep with her.

Very classy move of Amber's mom to dance with Matt; very tacky move on the show's part to set up that situation in the first place.

I hope Amber calms down a little bit; she's kind of squirrelly. She's lusting for Matt hard, which I find funny (not that she shouldn't, he's cute).

I thought the whole "did you notice what color Iris's dress is?" thing was really dumb; all the dresses were white. While I like Keith's mom (her speech at the wedding was lovely), I thought it was totally inappropriate for her to tell Keith about Iris.

Deonna's sister was rocking a low puff for the wedding too; I wanted to see some formal hair on them, dammit!

Elizabeth's dress was the most egregiously not -altered (it didn't fit her on top at all), but all the dresses could have used some nipping and tucking. That's a common problem on this show - there's not enough time for alterations.

They are very much trying to make E seem like a thirty, looking like she is a hard 40, immature daddy’s girl. She loves to twirl for daddy and he gives her everything which includes a job, a pretty princess b-day party, and doing all her menial errands.

On 6/20/2019 at 1:26 PM, gonecrackers said:

Not through watching all yet, but a few comments...

-Amber is annoying AF & probably gets along well with her 8th graders, since I agree with above poster who said she's about the same age, emotionally.

-I'm somewhat horrified every time I see Amber kiss Matt; she doesn't even seem to know what the hell she's doing.

-Elizabeth, also annoying AF, seemed to be trying to cause a wardrobe malfunction in her shouldn't have been strapless dress.

-I'm getting a creepy vibe from Jamie-so far I don't like him & don't care that he's saddled with 'miss helpless irritating daddy's girl' - I'm seeing another Dave situation where he'll enjoy her fake (I think) boobs for a few weeks until he's had enough of her.

-Agree Elizabeth's dad is creepy too - another problem I'm seeing here is if she's relying on daddy for big & small things in life (work, registration renewals etc.), she's never going to learn to fly; she'll just let the two of them share control of her. Liz needs intervention, & not just for her personality.

-All the dresses were a big nope - Deonna's dress was nice but her back fat was not a great look; Amber's dress was nice too but too big up top; Elizabeth's dress was borderline obscene; Iris, although she's definitely beautiful, had a dress that I felt did not flatter her at all. However, I do realize they have slim pickings & little time for anything better.

-Way too much production set ups & fakery which I found very annoying:  dad breaking down over his daughter's soon to be de-flowering; announcing a mother-son dance w/o checking first then having MIL come dance with him (nice touch show but so very fake); the "white-white" dress & virginity reveal - really? They did not have to do that; I found that the most disappointing.

-The overuse of slow mo must. stop.

On 6/20/2019 at 2:34 PM, discoprincessthe2 said:

This is an interesting contrast from Jepthe, who objected to getting a lap dance from Shawniece at the wedding reception because he was a teacher.

Jepthe is full of shit. He later admitted that he was not attracted to S but learned to like her.

On 6/20/2019 at 2:54 PM, aphroditewitch said:

But Jepthe would also later admit to cheating on Shawniece in the spinoff, so I'm not sure I would judge his behavior as being better. Although Amber's school could try to either reprimand or fire her. 

Shawniece deserves better.

On 6/20/2019 at 7:17 PM, gonecrackers said:

Anyone else notice the emergency sirens while Elizabeth & Jamie married?  Warning sirens?  Remains to be seen...

They were freaking me out because no one onscreen was reacting to them at all and the noise could have been easily edited out for the viewing audience. Could it be more of the crappy show music?

• Love 6
(edited)

Oh boy! This season looks good and shouldn’t cause the same amount of angst as watching Kate and Luke thank god. 

Right off the bat, I’m totally over Elizabeth. If I didn’t know better I’d think she was an only child, so I was surprised to hear she had sisters? I guess they can’t stand each other since they seem to be excluded from the bridal party. I’m not sure if they were even there. I wonder if her dad has a “special” relationship with them all. If not, I can imagine the sibling rivalry. If her dad has been taking care of her car registration, I wonder how much he has to cover her at work. I could not stand to work with that loud mouth. She is not a southern bell, modern or not. 

I know she was nervous but good lord could she at least be a little serious. Her reactions are so “on” all the time and her energy might get tiring for Jamie. He seems like a bump on a log to me. Rigid and easily annoyed if things don’t go per his plan. I don’t find either attractive. I liked her dress but not on her, like someone above said. 

I’m not really concerned about Deonna having not been in a relationship in years so much, as it doesn’t mean she hasn’t been dating. I thought the whole “not kissing on the first date” thing was a bit ridiculous though. It’s your wedding. You can give him a chaste kiss without going to town on him. I love her dress. I thought she looked the best out of all the brides. Greg seems like a good guy and I loved his family and friends  

Boy, does Iris love to wave that virgin flag! Iris and Keith are the best looking couple on this franchise ever, much as it hurts Jamie to hear. They both look striking, separately and together. They definitely were matched well in looks.  I loved their families as well.

Amber and Matt.  She’s too much and he’s too little despite their sizes. His laid backness is going to bother her once she gets the D and she is going to frickin annoy him.  I find her annoying almost as much as I do Elizabeth.

Overall I think Deona and Greg have the best chance, followed by Iris and Keith.

The venues have come a long way from the piss poor hotel conference rooms they had in the beginning.  Their budget must have increased.

Edited by Kiss my mutt
  • Love 9

Elizabeth's dad is a creeper. C-R-E-E-P-E-R.

I cannot stand Elizabeth. Her personality is so over the top and fake. She seems enmeshed with her dad in some seriously unhealthy ways. I envision this marriage imploding. Run, Jamie!

Iris and Keith look like they should be models. They are very attractive, and they seem like they have similar views/lifestyles. They might have a shot at making it.

Amber needs to turn it down about 10 notches. If she ever calmed down, she might be personable. Matt seems very laidback by comparison.

Deonna and Greg - they seem fairly well matched. I can't too much of a vibe from them yet but they seem to be hitting it off.

All the brides this season are a bit (or a lot) aggressive/bossy. I can't say I have high hopes for any of these couples, yet anyway.

• Love 7
(edited)
8 hours ago, qtpye said:

They are very much trying to make E seem like a thirty, looking like she is a hard 40, immature daddy’s girl. She loves to twirl for daddy and he gives her everything which includes a job, a pretty princess b-day party, and doing all her menial errands.

I’m telling you, she’s Veruca Salt from Willy Wonka crossed with a wannabe Jessica Rabbit......

Edited by Ilovepie
Don’t know what happened - quote messed up!
  • LOL 8
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, princelina said:

And even the homely Basement had a secret girlfriend throughout filming, from what I recall.

Oh how I love that you just call him basement and we all know what you mean!

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
On 6/20/2019 at 5:56 AM, LennieBriscoe said:

But I have never cared for the underlying aggression in the cake-smushing "tradition." Going for Big Red's eyes was not a good look on Jamie Boy.

Like Dallas Danielle, I pay good money for my eyelashes. As such, I would exercise the appropriate game theory models when faced with the possibility of getting frosting in them. That is to say, don’t  start none, won’t be none.

• Love 6

Cook's Brut Champagne...gak!

Is that the best champagne they had at the Circle K... the QuikTrip?

Dollar General selling it by the case?

If it is too expensive to have 4 MAFS couples, get rid of Deonna/Greg... but do not cut corners on the show's boozing.....

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

Barbara (Doris Roberts look alike), Jamie's mother tells Big Red Chardonnay...

"Jamie has dated women and young... ( weird pause)...girls, but never a young lady.

And there's a big difference.

I think you are the young lady.

And that makes Momma happy..."

That has to be the cheap champagne doing the talking for Barbara....somewhere in that rambling is a compliment for her newly minted daughter in law.

If Big Red Chardonney is the best Jamie has dragged home then what a horror show Momma has had to deal with...floozies, tramps, skanks, trollops, tarts, sluts, hos but never a young lady.

Methinks her use of "young" is chumming the water because Momma can't believe Eliz just turned 30 years old...

What 30 year old get punctured and injected with so much filler that her lips balloon like she ate bees...

• LOL 9
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

Oh how I love that you just call him basement and we all know what you mean!

The guys of season 2 were the worst. The woman got screwed big time. Supposedly, Ryan eventually lost his early attraction to Jackie while hers grew. He had a chick on the side and almost let Jackie’s cat starve (he was supposed to be feeding it) while she went away on s business trip. Yet he would say the correct bullshit on camera about how he wanted to stay together. The experts knew all this but still gaslighted Jackie into staying every time she wanted to leave. It was one of the reasons that we heard Pastor Cal (who was not in the show during season 2) tell a roomful of potential grooms that they had to give up their girlfriends if they want to be on the show.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, qtpye said:

The guys of season 2 were the worst. The woman got screwed big time. Supposedly, Ryan eventually lost his early attraction to Jackie while hers grew. He had a chick on the side and almost let Jackie’s cat starve (he was supposed to be feeding it) while she went away on s business trip. Yet he would say the correct bullshit on camera about how he wanted to stay together. The experts knew all this but still gaslighted Jackie into staying every time she wanted to leave. It was one of the reasons that we heard Pastor Cal (who was not in the show during season 2) tell a roomful of potential grooms that they had to give up their girlfriends if they want to be on the show.

He and the side chick deserved each other since her knowing all about what he was doing makes her a bad person too.  I would not be cool with my boyfriend going on a reality show and pretending to romance another woman. Not only because it would be weird to know that he was off doing that but I would not want to be complicit in someone else being duped. 

• Love 3
On 6/19/2019 at 10:19 PM, 2727 said:

Iris is a virgin!? They really kept that a secret. Took me by surprise.

This is so annoying this virgin shit.  Who cares?  We all were at one time or another.  She’ll probably jump him tonite, lol.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
On 6/19/2019 at 10:44 PM, palmaire said:

She really did. I have to keep reminding myself that the camera crew and a producer are in the room and Iris and Keith probably did the climbing in bed scene more than once.

I’m laughing.  My husband and I were counting the money from the envelopes and he picked me up and threw me on the bed gown, shoes and all.  I said “ no way” as I was still in my parents house.  Lol .. now he probably couldn’t even lift me.  Oh, the good ole days.

• LOL 4
4 hours ago, qtpye said:

The guys of season 2 were the worst. 

Hands down, no discussion. All three were turds.

10 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

If it is too expensive to have 4 MAFS couples, get rid of Deonna/Greg... but do not cut corners on the show's boozing.....

Right?!? Have they learned nothing from the Bachelor/Bachelorette/BIP franchise?!??

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 6/20/2019 at 9:46 PM, Jeanne222 said:

It's so hard to go from being the possessor of everything to sharing!  And as you age...it gets worse!

I thought that really strange!  She just kept smiling through it all!

I think they are both nuts .. Elizabeth and her Dad.  It’s not even funny.  That Mother should do something about that.  Maybe she thinks it’s cute that he loves his daughter sooo much.

(edited)

Im 49 and you will pull my glitter eye shadow out of my cold dead hands. Although the colors i use tend to be more earth toned.They were not too old!  It looked great on Iris. That color would not work on me

Edited by JennyMominFL
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6
On 6/20/2019 at 2:51 PM, Adeejay said:

I have a feeling when the producers told the brides to reveal something personal to their spouse, they were hoping that Iris' reveal would be that she is a virgin.  Instead she went with "we get to pee in front of each other."  The look on Keith's face was priceless. 

Peeing and especially pooping is worse than being a Virgin.  WTF?

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 6/22/2019 at 4:04 PM, Gem 10 said:

It all depends on your point of view @ Gem & Adeejay. 

I have a feeling that having "saved herself" for marriage is something that Iris is quite proud of, not something she's embarrassed by.

Iris made it pretty clear she expects her 'expert'-arranged marriage to last a lifetime, so maybe the remark about spouses "peeing and pooping in front of each other" was her way of telling him she's "all in". Using the toilet is a very personal thing, but it also could be a metaphor for having nothing concealed inside the marriage --no secrets, no lies, no sneaking and no hiding. 

It wasn't eloquent.

But if you stay married to the same spouse until one of you dies, there will come a time when someone is so sick they need help doing things that they cannot do for themselves. You may never speak of it, but it's there. Love so strong that one spouse will not only stay by the other's side when it gets smelly and ugly, but will actually assist when it's needed --that is true love

Edited by Crazy Bird Lady
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, aphroditewitch said:

He and the side chick deserved each other since her knowing all about what he was doing makes her a bad person too.  I would not be cool with my boyfriend going on a reality show and pretending to romance another woman. Not only because it would be weird to know that he was off doing that but I would not want to be complicit in someone else being duped. 

Also:  they are expected to "consummate" and announce it to the world!  I would not be okay with my boyfriend doing that 😄 

1 hour ago, Crazy Bird Lady said:

It all depends on your point of view @ Gem & Adeejay. 

I have a feeling that having "saved herself" for marriage is something that Iris is quite proud of, not something she's embarrassed by.

Spouses "peeing and pooping in front of each other" is certainly a deeply personal thing, and it's kind of a metaphor for having nothing concealed inside their marriage --no secrets, no lies, no sneaking and no hiding. 

Inevitably, if you share your lives together until one of you dies, there will come a time when someone is so sick they need help doing things that they cannot do for themselves. You may never speak of it, but it's there. Love so strong that one spouse will not only stay by the other's side when it gets smelly and ugly, but will actually assist when it's needed --that is true love.

Well, that’s a different story altogether, and I agree with you 100 per cent.  At a certain age helping each other with personal things as that is necessary, especially during sickness.  I meant when they were just first married and in the honeymoon stage.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Gem 10 said:

The brides were told to reveal something personal to their groom. How is peeing and pooping revealing something personal? The other brides went with: My mom left my dad for a woman; I haven’t dated in ten years; I am really messy and I am terrible at managing money. I thought Iris’ declaration to Keith rather odd. Evidently he did too, because he looked at her like she’d lost her mind and didn’t respond. 

• Love 3
52 minutes ago, Gem 10 said:

Well, that’s a different story altogether, and I agree with you 100 per cent.  At a certain age helping each other with personal things as that is necessary, especially during sickness.  I meant when they were just first married and in the honeymoon stage.

I reached this last spring at age 49 - food poisoning on vacation. Mr. Elizzikra is the best husband on the planet.

• Love 5

Random thoughts - I thought the toasts were somewhat interesting.  I liked that Matt’s friend compared him to a jellybean and included compliments for Amber in his speech.  

I hope Matt was out with his sister or something in the previews rather than more dumb drama.  Amber’s mom may have disappointed her in the past but love that she came through for gown day and that she didn’t hesitate to do something nice for Matt when she realized his mom wasn’t there.  

Gold eyeshadow‘s sister became a bit of a mess out there.  Did she say Amber would take her shirt off?  Did she mean she’d give you the shirt off her back?  

Something about Greg reminds me of George Benson, so I like him.  I also like that he was touched by his friend’s prayer.  Their first dance was somewhat tragic.  

Elizabeth’s father reinforced the impression that both he and his daughter are weird.  Hoping Jamie stops dipping the dippy redhead backwards to kiss her. 

Keith’s mom, standard speech.  She seems calm, like her son.  I understand parents feeling emotional on wedding days; I didn’t expect to see Iris’s father in a puddle on the sidewalk outside. Iris’ mom is aces.  Loved when Keith spoke to her before the ceremony.  

Looking forward to this season.  They’re all looking pretty doomy in the previews for decision day so maybe it will be a bumpy ride. In for that, too.   

• Love 4
On 6/19/2019 at 9:34 PM, Ohwell said:

While it's nice for any father of any race to be their for their children, I think that Elizabeth's and Iris's fathers were over the top.  Deonna's father was very calm and composed and I'd bet that he cares just as much about his daughter as the other fathers.

Elizabeth's fther was giving me major creep vibes. The look on his face at the reception was that of a jealous lover. And my last love, that should be your husband.

• Love 5
(edited)

George Benson...the unforgettable  bass line to Breezin'....a song that immediately takes you back....to a memory or a place in your past...

Just what I needed on this summer day....

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, Adeejay said:

The brides were told to reveal something personal to their groom. How is peeing and pooping revealing something personal? The other brides went with: My mom left my dad for a woman; I haven’t dated in ten years; I am really messy and I am terrible at managing money. I thought Iris’ declaration to Keith rather odd. Evidently he did too, because he looked at her like she’d lost her mind and didn’t respond. 

I think it was an odd thing to say too.  There are so many other things she could have said, but that left me baffled.  I think she meant there is nothing off limits between a husband and wife.  He looked stunned.  I’m married a very long time and still close the door btw as I am more comfortable.  Doesn’t mean we don’t love each other.  My husband didn’t want to come into the delivery room when we had our third baby and I respected that.  Doesn’t mean he doesn’t love me.  We respect each other’s decisions and don’t make a big deal out of things.

Edited by Gem 10
  • Love 6
On 6/20/2019 at 5:22 AM, LennieBriscoe said:

I'm rooting for all these crazy kids! 

Me too.  For the first time, I feel like the matches are pretty decent all around, and all 4 couples have a chance.  Of course the previews show disasters coming up, but you never know how much of that is real.

On 6/20/2019 at 5:28 AM, STRIDER1 said:

Sheesh and he was even introduced as the "southern gentleman"  at the altar.

But jamie, that bald buffoon just stood there awkwardly like a moron waiting for elisabeth to come out. in the meantime tho, hes looking over at his future MIL while she was looking at him at the same time from the front rows. thats so lame on both sides

No idea why that idea didnt cross his mind to do that? and so much for his so called southern gentleman upbringing. 

I so do not see where they got 'southern gentleman' for Jamie.  And I can't remember if they said 'southern belle' for Elizabeth, but if they did, that is even more deluded.

On 6/20/2019 at 7:43 AM, 2727 said:

Is it too much to hope that after Matt's own eventual divorce, he discovers a tiny bit of empathy for his parents?

"They just gave up!"

I was very taken aback by this.  He has no idea what has gone on inside their marriage.  If there was infidelity or some other big action, then that should make it more understandable as to why they are getting a divorce.  It sounds like he's just being a big baby about mommy and daddy not staying together, because of what he wants, with no regard for what they want/need and have been through.

On 6/20/2019 at 7:43 AM, Empress1 said:

Elizabeth's dress was the most egregiously not -altered (it didn't fit her on top at all), but all the dresses could have used some nipping and tucking. That's a common problem on this show - there's not enough time for alterations.

This always puzzles me, because the show could undoubtedly arrange in advance for a tailor/seamstress for the dresses, even if it's not at the store where they were bought.

On 6/20/2019 at 9:34 AM, configdotsys said:

Iris lost me with her “we get to pee and poop in front of each other." I know people are different and have their own sense of humor. I'm one of those that finds zero humor in bathroom talk.  

I've read people's comments on this, but I actually think she was being genuine, not funny or cute.  There are people who poop/pee in front of their spouse, and I think she thinks that it's a sign of true no-holds-barred closeness, like she is looking forward to.

On 6/20/2019 at 8:59 PM, SallySarue said:

Re: Iris... could not stop staring at her and admiring how beautiful she is (despite having kind of and obnoxious personality), but her looks changed drastically when they showed her crawling into bed after taking all of her makeup off. 

I loved that Iris took off her makeup!  It was what someone would actually do when getting ready for bed, rather than leave it on for the cameras like so many others have done.

48 minutes ago, retired watcher said:

Elizabeth's fther was giving me major creep vibes. The look on his face at the reception was that of a jealous lover. And my last love, that should be your husband.

I was not able to make sense of that.  Seriously.  What was she trying to say with that comment?

A few observations... 

Deonna: “I don't kiss on the first date”

Ummmm, the girl hasn’t dated anyone for 10 years so I guess that means she just doesn’t kiss. Anyone. Period. I kind of wonder if Iris is the only bride still holding her v-card...

Previews have piqued my curiosity...wonder what lie Elizabeth told that has Jamie incensed?

Maybe Elizabeth admits she’s actually 45 years old! 😝

Also, chalk me up as another one who is creeped out by Elizabeth’s relationship with her dad. Yuck.

But I adore Iris’s dad. I can’t imagine being a dad and handing over my daughter to a total stranger...and based on the history of MAFS, that guy might not be the stand up guy I’d always dreamed she would marry...remember Ryan De Nino? The guy who threatened the safety of his bride’s entire family. Nice. So I get it and I love that he doesn’t consider himself to be too tough (especially as an ex-cop) to show a little emotion.

i also love Keith’s mom. The dumb white dress conversation seemed fake, but that aside I think she’s a classy lady who appears to have raised a gentleman. Fingers crossed that is the case, especially considering the sensitivity required to respectfully handle Iris’s virginity. I really hope those two work out.

I’m rooting for all the couples this season except for Elizabeth and Jamie. It’s a bit pathetic that Jamie tossed out the “I love you” so fast and it’s even worse that Elizabeth blabbed about it to the cameras. Overall, her personality (most notably, her massive insecuritiy masquerading as confidence) is just too much for me to tolerate and I fear I might throw something at the tv if I have to sit through an entire season of her. I can’t afford a new tv right now.

• Love 4

My biggest Elizabeth pet peeves so far:

1. Creepy relationship with her dad. She’s clearly overly dependent for a woman her age but the weirdness goes waaaaaaaaay beyond that. 

2. She actually swore as she walked down the aisle after exchanging vows (I believe she said “f*** yeah”. Classy. I think she and AJ from last season would have been a perfect match, assuming he also found her “sexy AF”

3. Her wedding dress was such a mistake. Yikes. (So is her “red velvet cake” hair color for that matter but I’m going to refrain from going too deep on attacking personal appearances!).

4. She plays it up for the cameras more than any other show participant I can ever remember. She reminds me of a seven year old child who purposely says and does ridiculous things just for the attention. I hate fake and she screams fake. 

5. She called out her husband for telling her he loved her (which he appears to have said really early in the relationship, but that’s not the point here). And she was laughing about it when she told the cameras. It was so disrespectful. He appears to have said it in the “heat of the moment” (I kind of get the sense that Jamie isn’t the most experienced dater so it could have just been a really bad rookie mistake). But I’d be willing to bet that he would have preferred that she had kept that just between them. But her obvious insecurities compelled her to tell everyone just how desirable she is (even if Jamie is the only desperate sap who actually finds her desirable!). I just think that was poor form. 

I can’t believe I’m this annoyed after just 2 episodes...this does not bode well for my sanity this season!

• Love 11
On 6/21/2019 at 8:17 PM, qtpye said:

On 6/21/2019 at 9:50 PM, Kiss my mutt said:

Right off the bat, I’m totally over Elizabeth. If I didn’t know better I’d think she was an only child, so I was surprised to hear she had sisters? I guess they can’t stand each other since they seem to be excluded from the bridal party. I’m not sure if they were even there. I wonder if her dad has a “special” relationship with them all. If not, I can imagine the sibling rivalry. If her dad has been taking care of her car registration, I wonder how much he has to cover her at work. I could not stand to work with that loud mouth. She is not a southern bell, modern or not. 

Does she work for her dad or did he get her a job where he works? Either way, I imagine there are coworkers looking at social media and nodding their heads at the comments. Can’t imagine what the jobs must be like with the two of them there. 

I wonder if Elizabeth had to compete with her MIA sisters for attention and somewhere along the way she started imitating her tasteless father so she’d always be his favorite. Gawd, she’s annoying. 

10 hours ago, Gem 10 said:

This is so annoying this virgin shit.  Who cares?  We all were at one time or another.  She’ll probably jump him tonite, lol.

Or never. I could see her hanging on to that virginity for the entire experiment. Her whole identity is wrapped up in her purity. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Crazy Bird Lady said:

Using the toilet is a very personal thing, but it also could be a metaphor for having nothing concealed inside the marriage --no secrets, no lies, no sneaking and no hiding. 

Inevitably, if you share your lives together until one of you dies, there will come a time when someone is so sick they need help doing things that they cannot do for themselves. You may never speak of it, but it's there. Love so strong that one spouse will not only stay by the other's side when it gets smelly and ugly, but will actually assist when it's needed --that is true love

I don’t think Iris meant it as a metaphor - I think Keith needs to mentally prepare for seeing Iris on the toilet. Whatever the case, it definitely came across as completely tone deaf for place and time!

Your point about true love reminded me of one of my favorite movie quotes from the original Yours, Mine, and Ours. Henry Fonda tells the teenage daughter that true love is not going to bed with a man that proves you’re in love, it’s getting up in the morning and facing the rest of the drudgery of life together (or something like that). I think this is the biggest problem with this show - these people are expecting some fantasy, or like Amber said on Unfiltered, someone to drink coffee with in the morning! What?! Life is not a a Disney movie, but it sure seems like some of them expect that...

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

I don’t think Iris meant it as a metaphor - I think Keith needs to mentally prepare for seeing Iris on the toilet. Whatever the case, it definitely came across as completely tone deaf for place and time!

Your point about true love reminded me of one of my favorite movie quotes from the original Yours, Mine, and Ours. Henry Fonda tells the teenage daughter that true love is not going to bed with a man that proves you’re in love, it’s getting up in the morning and facing the rest of the drudgery of life together (or something like that). I think this is the biggest problem with this show - these people are expecting some fantasy, or like Amber said on Unfiltered, someone to drink coffee with in the morning! What?! Life is not a a Disney movie, but it sure seems like some of them expect that...

You’re not kidding.  They have NO IDEA. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Iris' flippant personal revelation to Keith may backfire on her...

Keith's thought bubbles.....

Is Iris giving me the green light to access exits as... entrances???

I just met you...the thought of you taking a massive dump with the full sounds and smells is not putting me in any kind of mood....

I would have been happy just being told your childhood nickname...that's as personal as you get with someone you just met a few hours ago.....

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

This always puzzles me, because the show could undoubtedly arrange in advance for a tailor/seamstress for the dresses, even if it's not at the store where they were bought.

In  theory the show could do rush alterations for each bride. They probably just don't see the point in paying for the additional expense. The show doesn't even have the brides bustle the gowns, I would speculate because during the weddings and receptions the focus is more on getting a scene and if they need to refilm something, they don't want to waste time to deal with the dress. Especially if losing daylight is a potential problem.