Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 7/31/2020 at 9:05 AM, Empress1 said:

Nashville couple: the episode description described the couple as May-December and then I saw them & thought “maybe he’s older than he looks and she’s younger than she looks?” I pegged them almost exactly right - I thought she was 35 & he was 50. Which is a gap, but I wouldn’t call it May-December. I used to babysit for a family where the husband was 30 years older than his (second) wife (she was the same age as one of his kids from his first marriage), and that to me is May-December. 20+ year gap.

Painting and new fixtures are not a big deal, and I was glad when the husband kept pointing that out.

He looked older than 50. Looked like father and daughter. I hate to say it but it icks me out. 

8 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

🤢🤮

Add me to the barf fest. Poor kid.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, chediavolo said:

He looked older than 50. Looked like father and daughter. I hate to say it but it icks me out. 

Add me to the barf fest. Poor kid.

I throuple the barf fest. 🤮🤮

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

On 7/31/2020 at 11:41 AM, ECM1231 said:

I think this was a repeat: Texas thruple moving to Colorado Springs. Gotta hand it to HGTV... I missed the first few minutes so idk what their deal was. They were an attractive bunch and gee,  whatever floats your boat, but don't involve children.  Anyway, hard to please 3 adults and compromises were made but they went way over budget!

I finally got to see the "throuple" episode this time around, and I have to say, I was less annoyed or bothered than I thought I would be, given the comments from its original airing. They were actually an attractive little group, and seemed pretty good-natured. A little extra, maybe, but frankly, I've seen much worse on this show. I'm glad they left the kids out of this for the most part, but then I never need to see too much of the kids on HH/HHI. I'm curious about their family dynamic in ways that couldn't possibly be covered within an episode of HH.

The housing choices were fine, but nothing that I got really excited over. Very pleasant and suburban. Whatever they've got going, I hope it works out, I guess.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, javajeanelaine said:

Nashville couple: the woman calling a 2 year old house old.  🤢

Maybe she looked at the producer's list of complaints to use and that was the only one she could remember? 🤣

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
On 8/1/2020 at 5:54 PM, TVForever said:

House hunters I wish I knew what happened to are two that were on twice in one case, and three times in another.  (The former baseball player who bought a huge place in Phoenix, I think Phoenix, and then some tiny place in Mexico, I disliked).    The lady that bought a quirky L.A. house with a round living room, at the top of a bunch of stairs, redid the house, and then sold for twice what she paid for it, and put into it a few years later.   Then with the proceeds she was going to buy a house for cash in Nashville (she wanted to be a songwriter then), and looked at some huge houses, including one that had a day care in the basement.    Then the third time, she had married, and they were moving out of Nashville, into the country side, and bought a huge place on the side of a hill, over a river or creek.

Then there's the house hunter that bought a million dollar place in the Colorado mountains (Telluride maybe?), then he was hunting for a place in Key West, and he had married the realtor who showed him houses in Colorado. 

I realize that many people move so often, or never do the remodeling they claim they will, so the Where are they Now episodes just weren't practical.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
16 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

My guess is they're trying for reality show, like Sister Wives, centered on them.   They've been on HH, and have all kinds of interviews, and articles about them, locally, and nationally.    

So, publicity wh**es. 🤢

• Love 5

Or people living their lives, and seizing the opportunity for representation? 

Polyamory is not my bag, as I won't commit to one person, let alone two, but, like anything else, if it's a truly consensual and equal relationship (which a whole lot of heterosexual relationship aren't), have at it.  And kudos to HH - which was among the first to include same-sex couples as, gasp, the same as their opposite-sex counterparts (good and bad) - for including them.

I have not seen either airing, but all the pearl-clutching "but what about the children?!" both times because there are three people in a committed relationship instead of two reminds me of nothing other than the same bullshit about same-sex couples raising kids.  Kids need love, guidance, and support.  The number and gender of those providing it is irrelevant.

If these particular HH are thirsty for "fame", that's lame, but the same as it is for anyone who wants to feed their narcissism with an appearance on this HGTV show. 

And if they're capitalizing on the resulting media attention to help normalize what is a perfectly acceptable family dynamic that society is slow to grasp, more power to them.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 6
44 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Or people living their lives, and seizing the opportunity for representation? 

Polyamory is not my bag, as I won't commit to one person, let alone two, but, like anything else, if it's a consensual and equal relationship, have at it, and kudos to HH - which was among the first to include same-sex couples as, gasp, the same as their opposite-sex counterparts (good and bad) - for including them.

I have not seen either airing, but all the pearl-clutching "but what about the children?!" both times because there are three people in a committed relationship instead of two reminds me of nothing other than the same bullshit about same-sex couples raising kids.  Kids need love, guidance, and support.  The number and gender of those providing it is irrelevant.

If these particular HH are thirsty for "fame", that's lame, but the same as it is for anyone who wants to feed their narcissism with an appearance on this HGTV show. 

And if they're capitalizing on the resulting media attention to help normalize what is a perfectly acceptable family dynamic that society is slow to grasp, more power to them.

One man multiple women? Not all that "woke" imo. 

A reminder: Various lifestyles and cultures are often featured on this show. Let's respect that everyone will have different opinions about everything. But let's also do so as maturely and respectfully as possible. And, most of all, let's not let these differences overshadow the actual episode which - as always - in the end is about looking at houses.

If there are questions, please send me a PM.

• Love 4

I saw there was a new episode tonight at 10 pm. Turned to it to hear, "but they can't agree on what kind of house to buy". Click - over to the Weather Channel to see what's going on with the hurricane that is headed our way tomorrow morning. I really wish HH would stop with this he wants she wants formula, every effing episode. Come on HH, find a new script.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

From RV to cash sale house in CA: I don’t get it. Four girls have to share a room because Dad needs a big room with a tiny table as his desk? How ‘bout using your 26-foot RV parked next to the house. You paid 20k over asking? You can afford a modem or hot spot. 

• Love 13
10 hours ago, buttersister said:

From RV to cash sale house in CA: I don’t get it. Four girls have to share a room because Dad needs a big room with a tiny table as his desk? How ‘bout using your 26-foot RV parked next to the house. You paid 20k over asking? You can afford a modem or hot spot. 

And those flower child names that they gave their children.  Of course, the mom had christened herself River.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, cameron said:

And those flower child names that they gave their children.  Of course, the mom had christened herself River.

And she just had to have a pool but the after scenes don't show anyone in it. I liked their realtor. Actually both realtors were spot on last night about dealing with their clients. Table lady's table wasn't that big.

• Love 5

And those flower child names that they gave their children. 

Poor Humility.

Of course, the mom had christened herself River.

Every time I saw her I wanted to scream, "Stand up straight!"  In an early scene she was hunched over while holding the baby, and it didn't change when she wasn't holding it.  Most unfortunate.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

It must be in the producers handbook that you must say, at least once per episode, “I worry about the safety of the kids” whether it applies to stairs, pools or Juliet balconies.  You know the solution for those things?  Try a gate, a pool fence or watch your damn kids.  

I thought the free living hippie era ended in the 70’s.  I guess this couple didn’t get the message.  And I chuckled when they said the babies just kept coming.  Well gosh darn, how do you think that happened?  Must have drank from the same cup?   And I wonder how many were conceived while living in the trailer?  There ain’t a whole lot of privacy in those things unless they kicked the kids out while they knocked boots.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 11
21 hours ago, buttersister said:

Why couldn't he have set up a desk in the master bedroom?

• Love 8
On 8/3/2020 at 8:19 PM, buttersister said:

And 2 bathrooms for 8 people, which means 1 bathroom for the 6 kids. Maybe they can hook up the RV to the water so that's an extra bathroom. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, DonnaMae said:

Why couldn't he have set up a desk in the master bedroom?

But, but, but... he couldn't do that. The master bedroom was wifey's RETREAT!!!

They didn't appear to use that RV for vacations so why not sell it and buy the 5-bedroom house that made more sense for such a large family?

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, CruiseDiva said:

They didn't appear to use that RV for vacations so why not sell it and buy the 5-bedroom house that made more sense for such a large family?

Did they say they wouldn't use it for vacations?  I assumed they would.

I don't know what year/model of trailer they had, but they said it was 28 feet long and I assume highly modified if it was sleeping all those people.  They wouldn't be able to get more than $10,000 or $15,000 for it, even in this hot pandemic market.  I agree with @buttersister--if it's going to be sitting in the driveway anyway and he needs an office, problem solved.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

But, but, but... he couldn't do that. The master bedroom was wifey's RETREAT!!!

I thought it showed them at the beginning going to the national parks?

I remember watching that episode and thinking the dad was a bit selfish and should give up his "office" so the kids can have another bedroom to split.

• Love 6
On 8/4/2020 at 12:06 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

Every time I saw her I wanted to scream, "Stand up straight!" 

Maybe she was permanently hunched over - from living crammed in that RV with a family of eight?

• Love 3

The Michigan couple were a perfect match for each other (all his wants and hers).  I've been to downtown Royal Oak and it's basically a drive through downtown. Not sure what the attraction was there about it for her. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, cameron said:

The Michigan couple were a perfect match for each other (all his wants and hers).  I've been to downtown Royal Oak and it's basically a drive through downtown. Not sure what the attraction was there about it for her. 

My Aunt used to teach in the Royal Oak schools and liked it there.  It's a small town of about 60,000 and was ranked the 27th safest city in Michigan, whatever that means

• Love 1

Royal Oak is a Detroit suburb, like Ferndale, Birmingham, etc. RO (to a lesser degree) and Birmingham were/are one of the few that developed walkable "downtowns" with several blocks of shops and restaurants, not a collection of strip malls. But $600K?? Living with mom saves a bundle. Looks like the median house value is $210,200.

• Love 2
On 8/5/2020 at 11:26 PM, kirklandia said:

Maybe she was permanently hunched over - from living crammed in that RV with a family of eight?

In a 28-foot RV with a family of 8, everybody needs to stay as erect as possible.  Hunching over just makes you take up more of the limited floor space.  They need to resemble a collection of lightning rods in there.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

In a 28-foot RV with a family of 8, everybody needs to stay as erect as possible.  Hunching over just makes you take up more of the limited floor space.  They need to resemble a collection of lightning rods in there.

Uh, I think being erect as possible is what caused them to have so many kids in the first place.  

• LOL 13
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, Grrarrggh said:

I loved the third house the DC couple saw. I'm guessing it was in Prince George's. I wonder if they were at UDC or Catholic U?

I thought the agent said it was in Virginia.

I loved that couple though...they were so cute!  I'm glad they picked the condo because that's really what they wanted.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

I loved the third house the DC couple saw. I'm guessing it was in Prince George's. I wonder if they were at UDC or Catholic U?

Think it was Howard University since she said she could walk to it from the home they purchased.

4 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

Did everyone notice the weird garages in the Washington DC show?  An operating garage door, but no roof!!  What’s the point of a garage without a roof?  

Very typical of the area.  Makes it easier to park a car without taking up alley or yard space.

• Love 4

The realtor in the D.C. episode stated that the garage door opener would have to be replaced every couple of years because it was exposed to the elements.  Yes, it was a weird set up, but I'm also guessing that having a door that can be closed from the alley is also a security issue.  Personally, I would spend a little extra $$ and have a carport built to shield the car from the rain, sun, snow, and that would extend the life of the garage door opener.  The 3rd house was great, but I knew they wouldn't choose it because it was furnished which is usually a dead give away as a red herring most of the time.  I wasn't impressed with the one they chose.  That place is going to become very crowded once children arrive.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, laredhead said:

The realtor in the D.C. episode stated that the garage door opener would have to be replaced every couple of years because it was exposed to the elements.  Yes, it was a weird set up, but I'm also guessing that having a door that can be closed from the alley is also a security issue.  Personally, I would spend a little extra $$ and have a carport built to shield the car from the rain, sun, snow, and that would extend the life of the garage door opener.  The 3rd house was great, but I knew they wouldn't choose it because it was furnished which is usually a dead give away as a red herring most of the time.  I wasn't impressed with the one they chose.  That place is going to become very crowded once children arrive.

Very common in the DC area, especially on Capital Hill.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

Did everyone notice the weird garages in the Washington DC show?  An operating garage door, but no roof!!  What’s the point of a garage without a roof?

That's common where you can't build a garage.  You put the door up and down, and can park safely behind it.     I've seen that before, where you don't want to build a garage, or the zoning setbacks or other rules don't allow a building.   It also keeps the car safe when it's behind the garage door, and inside the fence.   

I grew up in the D.C. area, from the style of the single family house, it could have been anywhere in D.C., Virginia or Maryland, it's just like a million other houses in that area.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

I don't think it's a garage without a roof.  Instead, I think it's just an alternative to a traditional electric gate.  Those gates usually either slide horizontally or swing on hinges.  I don't think there was room to slide a gate far enough to let a car through without the gate encroaching on the neighbor's property, so that's out.  There might be room for a gate to swing on hinges, especially if it's split in the middle, but then you have to pull the car farther into the yard, and the space between the car and the back fence is unusable for anything but having the car pass through it, and these aren't huge yards to begin with.

This garage door arrangement looks pretty ingenious.  As well as weird.

• Love 3
On 8/6/2020 at 2:12 PM, KLovestoShop said:

My Aunt used to teach in the Royal Oak schools and liked it there.  It's a small town of about 60,000 and was ranked the 27th safest city in Michigan, whatever that means

I went to law school at U of M, and knew a number of people from the Detroit area who settled in Royal Oak after school (not mostly lawyers). Royal Oak was the hot place for younger people then ('90s, I'm old), as well as for those who wanted to be urbanites as Detroit was problematic.

I enjoyed this episode and thought all the houses were good, although I thought/predicted #1 for them (which is what they picked).  Personally I would have gone with #3, and I had friends in school from West Bloomington, which was not as cool as Royal Oak but a nice area, but that barn and yard were great, and I know it's a nice area.

Edited by msmarjoribanks
On 8/7/2020 at 4:51 PM, Grrarrggh said:

Yeah, I liked this episode, liked the househunters, but usually for me thought the suburban option was the best. But oh well, hopefully they like their choice.

Edited by msmarjoribanks
22 hours ago, LucindaWalsh said:

The DC professors episode was a favorite. ... I got confused even before the first house was finished showing when they came outside and they were on the second floor deck. Then they showed a first floor door when they were looking back towards the house while looking at the driveway/garage door. Did they only buy the second floor? Was it a house with a rental or was it split up as two properties?

I'm pretty sure it was split up as two properties.  There was another entrance door on the right side of the house (as you're looking at it from the street), which I assume goes to the lower-level unit. 

The HHs' door opened onto a flight of stairs, and the top of the stairs ended in their unit, with no door or anything.  I lived in a place like that once, down the road in Richmond (so maybe it's a local-ish thing).  At first I was taken aback by the odd arrangement with those stairs, but now I have fond memories of it. 

• Love 1

Philadelphia episode.  I really hated that realtor Sarita!  I didn't like the way she showed every house above her price range and wasn't very nice while she explained  why  to her.  I'm pretty sure she could find a little bit of a fixer for less money.

It was sad that the woman and her friend were so excited about having a terrace when it was a little porch that held the a/c and stuff on the side of the  3rd house.

My heart went out to this woman.  I wanted her to be happy.  I liked the row house for her.

• Love 2

Philly realtor’s extensions were too long, it was driving me crazy. I couldn’t tell where the houses were; I think the condo might have been on Walnut St which is is heart of downtown, and if so, at that price I’m actually surprised it had a second bathroom. That kitchen was tiny though. I didn’t like the finishes on the row house but I can see why she chose it.

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, NYGirl said:

Philadelphia episode.  I really hated that realtor Sarita!  I didn't like the way she showed every house above her price range and wasn't very nice while she explained  why  to her.  I'm pretty sure she could find a little bit of a fixer for less money.

It was sad that the woman and her friend were so excited about having a terrace when it was a little porch that held the a/c and stuff on the side of the  3rd house.

My heart went out to this woman.  I wanted her to be happy.  I liked the row house for her.

This episode fooled me. The house she chose was furnished (not with her furniture), so I thought it was a plant. I liked the House Hunter. She reminded me of an adult Quvenzhané Wallis. 

And I get fixated on little things sometimes, like when the women mentioned they were sorority sisters. I spent the episode trying to figure out which one, since they’re the ones who mentioned it. With black female HHs, I usually can pick home out decor or jewelry that suggest their sorority, such as the Washington DC professor who wore an elephant pendant necklace—the elephant is a common symbol with Delta Sigma Theta. 

But in this episode, I got nothing. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, topanga said:

With black female HHs, I usually can pick home out decor or jewelry that suggest their sorority, such as the Washington DC professor who wore an elephant pendant necklace—the elephant is a common symbol with Delta Sigma Theta. 

There was one house hunter who first appeared in a green blazer and pink shirt - I thought “She’s gotta be an AKA.”