Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

41 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The people house hunting in Iowa were fun.    I didn't like the first house, so of course they chose that one.  The second one, the new build did nothing for me, I wish they would use LVP everywhere, especially in a place that gets a lot of snow.   Waterproof, looks like wood, scratch resistant, and easier to clean than carpet.     The converted church needed work, but it was livable for now.    It also was a lot of room, with a manageable 2 acres.    Living next to the cemetery would mean only the occasional daytime funeral.    I would have picked the converted church.    They picked the one that I think will be a money pit.  Is that the basement that had brown asbestos tiles too? 

I'd love to hear how Cooper got her name.

1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Is that the basement that had brown asbestos tiles too? 

Nearly every basement in houses built before 1980s has asbestos tiles. The key is to leave them alone. That's exactly what he did, adding an epoxy flooring down over them. I thought the basement was perfect for his band needs. The solid real wood paneling will help dampen the sound as well. 

The upstairs wasn't great but the low price point allowed them to make the updates they needed. Nice to see a realistic first home.

• Like 9

I liked the Iowa couple, and I thought the first house was the best choice.  Plus, wasn't her father in the construction business?  I think he's going to help with renovations.  The former church house was roomy, but I wouldn't want to live next to a cemetery.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

The former church house was roomy, but I wouldn't want to live next to a cemetery.

I would kill to live next to a cemetery. no pun intended.  No noisy neighbors with loud music or lights all night long.  And they are usually full of the lovely sounds of nature.

• Like 14
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, Orcinus orca said:

I would kill to live next to a cemetery. no pun intended.  No noisy neighbors with loud music or lights all night long.  And they are usually full of the lovely sounds of nature.

That might be fine for you, but it would be depressing for me to see grieving families at burials.   Also, I live in a quiet neighborhood so noise isn't an issue.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Orcinus orca said:

Yeah, I don't want to live within hearing distance of a school, daycare, playground, etc.  A cemetery wouldn't bother me at all.  Like you said, quiet.  Usually lots of trees.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

Just watched the Fargo, ND episode.  It looked like the Arctic in those new subdivisions with no trees.  It's 85 here, my A/C is running, but i felt like I needed a cup of hot chocolate to warm up.  

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, laredhead said:

Just watched the Fargo, ND episode.  It looked like the Arctic in those new subdivisions with no trees.  It's 85 here, my A/C is running, but i felt like I needed a cup of hot chocolate to warm up.  

His hair bugged me. I didn't understand why they moved around the country so much. Expected them to be in the military. But he worked from home and she was an OT, which is a very stable job. Oh well, they have a great dog and the house they picked was nice.

• Like 3
(edited)

Couple moving to her hometown of Fargo.    Emily and Kyle.    She's an occupational therapist, and he's a remote worker IT manager.  Her budget is $400k, his budget is as high as they need to spend. 

First house is over-budget new build, very modern. $414,987.   Big deck.  Fence will be $15k!  For their Goldendoodle.    The realtor said $15k for fence, I know it's a decent sized yard, but that seems high.

Second-older home.  $347k, colonial, near downtown.   I would call it a farmhouse type, more than colonial.   remodeled, hardwoods, Should I be suspicious that there is a bed frame, and some tables and dressers in the home?  fully fenced yard.    Primary bedroom has a full size hot tub in it, realtor estimates $10k to remove the tub and fix everything along with it.  

Third home-out of town, $450k, new build, 5 bedrooms, realtor called it a rambler, Emily called it a "Craftsman', it's not a craftsman.  Needs only the gates, and part of the fence, looks like wrought iron.  basement bedrooms have egress windows, and window wells.    Wife calls it full of character, nope it's cookie cutter. 

They pick #1, good location.    They still have to build the back fence though.   I would have bought #2.  Some places have rules about the type of fence so the wind won't take it down, and blow pieces around (hurricane areas), or wrought iron to let snow go through instead of make huge drifts against a solid fence.   

Even for this show, the tiny home couple stunned me.   Everything was about the husband, he didn't care about the wife, or the baby.     How long before a little kid gets more mobile, and tries the ladder?   The husband was so selfish.     If they want a small home, there are 2 bed 1 bath, or even a 3 bedroom for an office.  Also, the one with $450 a month lot rent added to the purchase was ridiculous, though unless they bought, the couple would have to pay for land or a lot rent anyway.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 6
(edited)
3 hours ago, edie3 said:

I hope someone buys that church and gives it the love it needs!

I live in the next county over from the church. It sold in March 2023 for $285k (not sure if it’s ok to post the Zillow listing here.) The previous family had lived there 40 years, having bought it after a group of executives from Better Homes & Gardens transformed it into a home in 1975.

Edited by Cancun
  • Like 3
  • Useful 10
(edited)

Iowa:  One of my apartments back in the day was next to an active cemetery.  The daytime funerals were never that big of a deal and they were the quietest neighbors I’ve ever had! 😜 I would have chosen the converted church on the space it provided alone.

Edited by MooCat Pretzel
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

Tiny House ... Tiny baby (for now)

I'd like to think that someday they will realize that when the sale of that tiny house fell through they dodged a big financial bullet. The mother had slightly more common sense than the father but between the two of them they still weren't operating at 100%.

That baby will be walking very soon and there will be privacy issues too in just a few short years. Who thought squeezing a family into a box significantly smaller than a standard two car garage was ever a good idea?

No one looking into buying one of these things ever mentions the logistics and headache of trying to change the sheets and blankets on a mattress that fits  wall-to-wall and has only two feet of head clearance.

They would ultimately be much better off applying their savings towards a down payment on a real house.

• Like 5
  • Applause 4

Pittsburgh and El Paso episodes last night were interesting in that some of the footage showed aerial shots of El Paso, and the topic of street parking was discussed in the Pittsburgh episode. 

I'm glad the Pittsburgh couple chose a house with at least a level parking space in the back yard, and they didn't have to park on the hilly street.  I just can't imagine having to deal with finding a parking space in bad weather, and then trying to haul in groceries and/or children up a street & then a long flight of steps to the house.  I know people have been doing it for years, but no thanks.  Another highlight from one of the houses was the Pittsburgh toilet in the basement.  I had relatives who lived in Mt. Washington, and I remember riding the tram many years ago.  Beautiful views, and Pittsburgh is a nice city. I will say that the 1200 sf house they bought is going to shrink when they add a child or two.  If it has a basement, maybe they can expand to add a bedroom or two there at a later date.

I think I counted maybe 10 trees in one of the El Paso aerial shots.  OK, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit, but I just couldn't live there if it was a choice given to me.  Being a south Louisiana native, I need trees, greenery, and a little bit of humidity - lol.  Those new subdivisions reminded me of the Fargo episode without the snow.  I think the husband was right about wanting a pool in that climate, but the wife was totally against it because the children were young and couldn't swim.  Fence the pool, put in appropriate alarm systems, and teach the kids to swim and be comfortable in the water now.  I was afraid that the wife was going to prevail and they would pay a lot of $$ for a smaller house just because she wanted a white kitchen.  Glad they ended up with a larger house, but sadly no pool.   

• Like 5
16 minutes ago, laredhead said:

Pittsburgh and El Paso episodes last night were interesting in that some of the footage showed aerial shots of El Paso, and the topic of street parking was discussed in the Pittsburgh episode. 

I'm glad the Pittsburgh couple chose a house with at least a level parking space in the back yard, and they didn't have to park on the hilly street.  I just can't imagine having to deal with finding a parking space in bad weather, and then trying to haul in groceries and/or children up a street & then a long flight of steps to the house.  I know people have been doing it for years, but no thanks.  Another highlight from one of the houses was the Pittsburgh toilet in the basement.  I had relatives who lived in Mt. Washington, and I remember riding the tram many years ago.  Beautiful views, and Pittsburgh is a nice city. I will say that the 1200 sf house they bought is going to shrink when they add a child or two.  If it has a basement, maybe they can expand to add a bedroom or two there at a later date.

I think I counted maybe 10 trees in one of the El Paso aerial shots.  OK, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit, but I just couldn't live there if it was a choice given to me.  Being a south Louisiana native, I need trees, greenery, and a little bit of humidity - lol.  Those new subdivisions reminded me of the Fargo episode without the snow.  I think the husband was right about wanting a pool in that climate, but the wife was totally against it because the children were young and couldn't swim.  Fence the pool, put in appropriate alarm systems, and teach the kids to swim and be comfortable in the water now.  I was afraid that the wife was going to prevail and they would pay a lot of $$ for a smaller house just because she wanted a white kitchen.  Glad they ended up with a larger house, but sadly no pool.   

yeah, i watched the El Paso and Fargo episodes last night and the lack of trees in both made both areas look totally unappealing to me.  didn't really like any of the houses either.

• Like 2
(edited)
8 hours ago, Kenzie said:

I'd like to think that someday they will realize that when the sale of that tiny house fell through they dodged a big financial bullet. The mother had slightly more common sense than the father but between the two of them they still weren't operating at 100%.

That baby will be walking very soon and there will be privacy issues too in just a few short years. Who thought squeezing a family into a box significantly smaller than a standard two car garage was ever a good idea?

No one looking into buying one of these things ever mentions the logistics and headache of trying to change the sheets and blankets on a mattress that fits  wall-to-wall and has only two feet of head clearance.

They would ultimately be much better off applying their savings towards a down payment on a real house.

I was thinking the same thing.  They live in NC, so the weather is probably reasonable for spending time outdoors for much of the year, but there was virtually no space for the kid, let alone his toys.

The husband was ticking me off in that he was very concerned about having enough space for his 'office' while he thought a tiny fridge, a 2 burner stove and a washer but no dryer were perfectly fine in the interest of saving space.  When he suggested that his wife could just hang clothes to dry them, I thought she was going to grab a clothesline and demonstrate a better use for it: around his neck.

Some of those houses, especially the first one,  did have more space that I'd expect.  But, still, maybe for a couple to get away for the weekend; not enough room for a family to live full time.

I was glad to see that the deal fell through and they're re-thinking their plan  Save a couple more years and buy a real house, people.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 7
50 minutes ago, Notabug said:

When he suggested that his wife could just hang clothes to dry them, I thought she was going to grab a clothesline and demonstrate a better use for it: around his neck.

😂If looks could kill....

So glad it didn't work out for them. What a bad, bad idea! I was happy, at least, to know that they initially opted for the largest one. I think it was over 400 square feet, maybe 500? Still too small, imo, for a couple with a baby, who's only going to get bigger, but not like the other 2 shoeboxes.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

😂If looks could kill....

So glad it didn't work out for them. What a bad, bad idea! I was happy, at least, to know that they initially opted for the largest one. I think it was over 400 square feet, maybe 500? Still too small, imo, for a couple with a baby, who's only going to get bigger, but not like the other 2 shoeboxes.

In the big one with 16 ft ceilings, I was wondering why they didn't add a second floor. 8 ft ceilings should be high enough. The husband did seem like a selfish cheapskate. Hope he grows up before the baby does.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Grizzly said:

In the big one with 16 ft ceilings, I was wondering why they didn't add a second floor. 8 ft ceilings should be high enough. The husband did seem like a selfish cheapskate. Hope he grows up before the baby does.

i wonder if they are still together

he really was only concerned about his own wants and needs and if the wife had to do without something she needed, no big deal

maybe instead of having the really tall ceilings with a loft bedroom, tack another small bedroom behind the ground floor master, but guess that might make it not qualify as a tiny house

• Like 4
20 hours ago, Kenzie said:

Thank you!!!   I could not believe that couple!  A tiny house with a baby who is only going to get bigger?  Did the husband work from home everyday?  And expects to do so with a baby in the house? 

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
7 hours ago, Pi237 said:

Brick or Gothic-I’m Dying to see that house after they remodel it!! 

I cringed every time that one daughter kept riding her scooter through the kitchen and in the house.  

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

They have been running episodes of tiny houses the past month but I think the couple with the child was the most ridiculous in terms of potentially putting themselves in a living situation that would have led to someone slitting someone's throat in frustration - and with a baby

The whole baby is small never makes sense either even with the normal houses. Babies grow into toddlers fairly quickly and while I don't think a child needs a bedroom the size of an airplane hanger, I don't understand why a HH thinks a tiny room is okay for ONLY a baby.

I don't understand the economics of a small house. They are a depreciating asset just like a trailer home. Why would you pay cash for it in lieu of using the money for a down payment.

The only episode that made marginal sense was the 18 year old kid who parked it in his parents' backyard. I suspect the parents were going to keep it parked there and use it as additional housing because it was cheaper than adding an addition to the house. They had a full house and it could be used in the future if kids and grandkids came to visit even if the kids ultimately moved out of the house. 

Edited by amarante
  • Like 10
  • Applause 2

Amarante, right on, especially about the space that a baby takes up. There are baby accessories that need to be stored somewhere - stroller, high chair, toys, etc., and other things you don't realize until you have a baby.

• Like 5

Are they passing off old tiny house shows as new?

Talk about tiny. Our neighbor's oldest daughter graduated from high school this weekend. They had lots of family staying with them. One member snored so loudly he was keeping everyone else awake. Another neighbor took his teeny trailer, smaller than a tear drop trailer, and moved it to the neighbor's house and hooked it up so the offending snorer could sleep in it. 🤣

• LOL 5
On 6/10/2023 at 12:15 AM, Kenzie said:

It always amazes me that people don't understand that babies and children grow.  Some of the bedrooms that are "good" for a toddler will not be good when you need to replace the crib with a bed.  They really did  dodge a bullet with this tiny house sale falling through.  And did you know--the tiny house hunter's baby is named Arlen?  They only mentioned it about 100 times.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
53 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

And did you know--the tiny house hunter's baby is named Arlen?  They only mentioned it about 100 times.

Barrington. I don't remember the parents much and I don't remember how many years have passed since that episode but I remember the baby's name was Barrington. The mother, very full of self importance, was accompanied by her husband in her search for the perfect large home to buy. He was a lawyer and I recall he wanted a library in the home in that old money library kind of way. And she was obsessed with Barrington. Barrington's playroom, Barrington's bedroom, how will Barrington like the garage or whatever. She must have said his name a hundred times. I wonder sometimes how Barrington turned out. I hope he's okay. His mother would have driven me insane.

Speaking of old, how long has this show been on the air? I mean they have a lot of seasons and it is kinda weird. I think they are in season 223, which is obviously a lot of seasons per year. Does anyone know?

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

Speaking of old, how long has this show been on the air? I mean they have a lot of seasons and it is kinda weird. I think they are in season 223, which is obviously a lot of seasons per year. Does anyone know?

I recall watching it the day I first went house hunting for myself! That was February 2001. 

Wikipedia shows October 7, 1999 was the start. Hasn't changed much over the years. They had a narrator up until 2008 but the format remains the same, show three, pick one. I do miss the later reveal showing the house after they'd moved in/completed renovations.

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

Barrington. I don't remember the parents much and I don't remember how many years have passed since that episode but I remember the baby's name was Barrington. The mother, very full of self importance, was accompanied by her husband in her search for the perfect large home to buy. He was a lawyer and I recall he wanted a library in the home in that old money library kind of way. And she was obsessed with Barrington.

I thought it was Preston Barrington.  Or is that just what we in the HH forum on TWoP called him - Preston Barrington III - to mock that family and their delusions of grandeur?

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I thought it was Preston Barrington.  Or is that just what we in the HH forum on TWoP called him - Preston Barrington III - to mock that family and their delusions of grandeur?

She said his full name, I recall it as being Barrington something something III. I don't remember the Preston part. And oh yes, her delusions of grandeur were quite the TWOP subject of commentary. 

20 minutes ago, snarts said:

Wikipedia shows October 7, 1999 was the start.

Thank you!  I wonder why they decided to divide into so many 'seasons' per year.  Saying something is in season 223 sounds ridiculous. HHI is in season 187 or something.

(edited)
38 minutes ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

She said his full name, I recall it as being Barrington something something III. I don't remember the Preston part. And oh yes, her delusions of grandeur were quite the TWOP subject of commentary. 

I don't think there's any practical way to search the TWoP forum as archived on the Wayback Machine, but I just checked the vaulted HH forum here (because I knew we had to have discussed them in the old Hall of Shame thread), and, yep, it's Preston Barrington III. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 3
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, snarts said:

I recall watching it the day I first went house hunting for myself! That was February 2001. 

Wikipedia shows October 7, 1999 was the start. Hasn't changed much over the years. They had a narrator up until 2008 but the format remains the same, show three, pick one. I do miss the later reveal showing the house after they'd moved in/completed renovations.

Slight differences. 

They sometimes didn’t buy

They saw more than three although not all shown but there might be brief glimpses and references to this being house 57

Also they had some fabulous giveaway shoots where furniture was covered by a tarp. The equivalent giveaway now is a house that is in the middle of being renovated because the sellers decided to stop mid project. 

• Like 5

Hilo, HI. Someone needs to tell Fred and Jozef they are a couple, not 3 year old twins. The matching shirts have got to go. Goodness, Fred needs to loosen up a little. Being right on the water is a once in a lifetime opportunity.  But I like #2 for them too. #3 seemed overpriced for what it had. Having your own waterfall would be cool but what kind of liability insurance would you need for that? Oh dear, I'm starting to sound like Fred. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 7

Recycle Woodstock Georgia couple.  Their agents?  A 100 year old house will not have Civil War booty hidden in the well, nor is it Victorian.  The front door doesn't open into the Parlour, I'd say foyer, (foyA).

Probably editing, but, they acted foolish. 

• Like 6
On 6/6/2023 at 3:48 PM, amarante said:

Technically the Queen of Connecticut said she wanted a "raised ranch" which I think is a specific North Eastern term for that kind of home.

I would call that house a split level because there is no level where you don't have to go up or down.

I think a *true* raised ranch is one in which you enter on the main level where there is the living room, dining room and kitchen. The bedrooms are only a half a story up and typically if you enter through the garage you go into the family room which is a half a level down from the kitchen. This is because the bedrooms are over the family room portion whereas there is typically nothing over the living room/kitchen dining area.

But technically a range is ONE level and is literally inspired by the simple one level homes built by ranchers in the West. 

I guess there are different names everywhere. 

For me:

a ranch is entry, LR, DR, K, BRs on one floor, basement one floor down, generally below grade.  

Split foyer or raised ranch is what the HH said: same as ranch, except entry is halfway between floors.  Come in, go up or down.  Generally, this means the basement area is better lit and usually (in my experience) is a walk-out.

Split level is entry on floor w/LR, K, DR.  Half a flight up is BRs, half a flight down and under the BRs, is the family room (described above as raised ranch).

At least, that's the terminology I use.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Where I live raised ranch is everything on one level, but all entrances are a few steps above ground level.   They usually have a taller crawl space, to make it easier to have access to plumbing and electrical.    

My house in Colorado was a true bi-level, you came in through the front door, or the door from the garage, onto a landing, and either went up 6 or so steps to the living, dining, kitchen, and main bedroom and bath, or went down to the garden basement (windows above ground level) where the other two bedrooms, and full bath were, plus the laundry and a utility closet.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 6/11/2023 at 10:32 AM, laredhead said:

Amarante, right on, especially about the space that a baby takes up. There are baby accessories that need to be stored somewhere - stroller, high chair, toys, etc., and other things you don't realize until you have a baby.

They had to be one of the most annoying - stupid - couples on HH, especially the selfish husband. He works from home?  How is that going to work with a stay-at-home mom and baby in that shoebox?  And babies and toddlers take naps and go to bed.  Good luck putting a baby down with the adults there in the room doing whatever it is they do. OK, so they ended up not buying anything so I guess all the comments were just "schtick" -- I swear I thought more than once I could NEVER, EVER be married to a jerk like that guy.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
On 6/11/2023 at 4:27 PM, CalicoKitty said:

It always amazes me that people don't understand that babies and children grow.  Some of the bedrooms that are "good" for a toddler will not be good when you need to replace the crib with a bed.  They really did  dodge a bullet with this tiny house sale falling through.  And did you know--the tiny house hunter's baby is named Arlen?  They only mentioned it about 100 times.

Arlen? Arlen?  Was that their son’s name?  I hadn’t realized.  If that had been the case, surely we would have heard about Arlen’s need, Arlen’s wants, what they could do with Arlen on the daily and what will work best for Arlen today and every day until Arlen leaves for college and thereafter.

• Like 4

Nashville, TN:  I liked both him and his Mom. He looked so young but was super polite, respectful and appreciative.  While I understand that the thought of maintaining a single family home can be daunting, the HOA fees you pay for a condo will cover much of that maintenance (my lawn service is <$100/mo) As a musician talking about a home studio complete with drum kit, I feel for his neighbors. Carpeting the floor will not soundproof the room. 

• Like 7
  • Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, snarts said:

Nashville, TN:  I liked both him and his Mom. He looked so young but was super polite, respectful and appreciative.  While I understand that the thought of maintaining a single family home can be daunting, the HOA fees you pay for a condo will cover much of that maintenance (my lawn service is <$100/mo) As a musician talking about a home studio complete with drum kit, I feel for his neighbors. Carpeting the floor will not soundproof the room. 

I liked him too. Nothing was a deal breaker. Renovations could be done over time. It didn’t have to be perfect. Very refreshing. 

Edited by Seelouis
  • Like 7

My across the street neighbor (at least 150' away from my house) plays the drums.  I can hear him when he practices.  Yeah, some carpet on the floor, and an 8" wall isn't going to dampen that sound much.  One of those units is probably going to be for sale soon - either the neighbor will leave, or the HOA will be talking to the young man about his drum playing and band practice sessions.

• Like 6

He seemed like a perfectly nice young man and was certainly very respectful but there is no way in hell he's going to be able to practice in that unit. Most condominium complexes have noise restrictions and you can't make a room sound proof.

• Like 7

Here, my young dude, is how you build a soundproof (ish) room inside that room. Whatever the cost, it'll be less than the HOA Board will fine you upon complaints from your neighbors. Justifiable complaints, sorry. (In our building, a CSO violinist practices in the hospitality suite, which is well away from other units.)

• Like 3

When I lived in a condo, my neighbor played the bagpipes. Fortunately, I like bagpipe music and he didn't practice often when I was home. He was in a group that played at parades and funerals. Not sure how I would have reacted to drums.

• Like 2