Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04: A Break Is Necessary

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, islandgirl1217 said:

Long time reader, first time poster.

I wanted to give an idea of the rent in the DR as I see it is a hot topic. I'm Dominican but have been living States for about 16yrs. My parents and siblings still live there so I have an idea of what rent can cost. 

Like in everywhere else, rent varies depending where you live. Base on the footage I've seen about Family Pedro apartment, I would guess that the rent for the apartment is anywhere between 10k-15k Dominican pesos. FYI, one Dollar is about $50 Dominican pesos so if the apartment is 10k a month that is only $200dls. The apartment itself is nothing fancy and appears to be in a low income area. The Dollar can go a long way in the DR, housing and food are definitely way cheaper than in the US.

Well of course the dollar can go a long way...that's why Pedro is so busy harvesting it all the time 🤣

But that's amazing that a 4 bedroom apartment that doesn't look like a home for rodents is only $200/month.  I spend over 10x that for a two bedroom where I live.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, LellePCC said:

The difference is that the “evidence” against Colt is hearsay from Larissa and speculation from the audience due to his frugal spending. The evidence against Larissa is physical, such as police reports, photos, and videos of her behavior. And I do remember their interactions from when they first started off, thanks. 

I don't remember those interactions at all from when they first met, because I didn't think we were privy to those conversations when they first met.  But perhaps there was a special I missed.

How do police reports prove that Larissa is a terrible golddigger?  I also haven't seen any videos, but I'm generally not invested enough to do outside research.

Everything Larissa says makes sense given her situation, and I haven't been aware of colt disputing her accounts.  

I'd trust logical presumptions over a police report that is based on Colt and debbies biased version of events where innocent Colt did nothing at all and was randomly attacked.  

And honestly, unless I misremember evidence a police report itself is hearsay.  And certainly the accounts of the actors in a police report are hearsay, so maybe it's not something that should be given heavy consideration if hearsay isn't reliable.

Edited by RealReality
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

So, it would appear that I'm the only one who thinks that Azan will be detained at the airport in Grenada and told that he may not enter the country and therefore he will have to fly back to Morocco.  Of course, he will really and truly be broken-hearted...

• LOL 13
  • Love 6
12 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

So, it would appear that I'm the only one who thinks that Azan will be "detained" at the airport in Grenada and told that he may not enter the country and therefore he will have to fly back to Morocco.  Of course, he will really and truly be "broken-hearted"...

Fixed it for you :-)

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, dyanad said:

Elizabeth's father did offer him some work to help get him going when Andrei was just sitting around playing video games all day. Andrei refused the offer because he said it was under the table. Her father also offered to pay for schooling to. He was trying to offer anything to Andrei to get off his ass and not sit idle at home. 

Right? How much assistance and helping hands does Libby’s dad have to give Andrei before his laziness and entitlement are his own fault? It’s not all Libby and Daddy. Libby doesn’t need to tell him to dress up and not be a menacing creep in an interview - that is not a uniquely American thing and he has lived in this country before. Daddy Libby should not have to provide opportunities or connections for the guy who caustically told him in their first season that he and Libby don’t need him or his money. You’d thing helping to build his family’s future and a baby on the way would be enough motivation for him to get his shit together.  But nah, I guess.

• Love 6
21 minutes ago, brillia79 said:

Right? How much assistance and helping hands does Libby’s dad have to give Andrei before his laziness and entitlement are his own fault? It’s not all Libby and Daddy. Libby doesn’t need to tell him to dress up and not be a menacing creep in an interview - that is not a uniquely American thing and he has lived in this country before. Daddy Libby should not have to provide opportunities or connections for the guy who caustically told him in their first season that he and Libby don’t need him or his money. You’d thing helping to build his family’s future and a baby on the way would be enough motivation for him to get his shit together.  But nah, I guess.

Very true, but Daddy Libby is  kinda like Nicole’s family... all talk and then he folds like a cheap suit. He should have laughed hysterically in her ear and told her “ you have 30 days to vacate the house”. Perhaps one of your sisters  and their husbands will take you in. 

• Love 11
10 hours ago, Mothra said:

"Piss poor gold digger" because she told her mark that he was her soulmate?  Have you ever met a gold digger?  That's *exactly* how you reel 'em in!  Oooh, Coltee, your dick is *sooo* big I'm not sure I can handle it!!!

Larissa told us that Coltee told her she could buy whatever she wanted--I'm thinking specifically about the couch--as long as Debbie came along with her.  *Not* as long as Debbie approved.  I'm assuming Debbie had to be there to use the credit card or write the check.  We've learned that Larissa wasn't even allowed to choose her own clothing!  And from the looks of her clothing it's clear that Coltee wanted a sex doll, not a wife.

They both knew what they were getting into; afawk, Larissa has held up her side of the deal (sex) but Coltee hasn't.  He teases her with fancy apartments and luxury cars but continues to keep her in that place that you know smells funny and in the non-air conditioned car.  Neither of them had admirable intentions, but I think Larissa comes across as more "honorable"--if you can use that word--simply because she is giving him blow jobs.  Seems to me that duck lips is the least he can give her in return.

And we saw that it is definitely a tit-for-tat (or lip-for-bj).  He was reluctant; she asked him if he wanted to continue to get blow jobs; his "yes" was his paying for the duck lips.  Completely a commercial deal.

The woman who performed the lip injection was like a poster child for bad facial work.  

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 11
5 hours ago, TMI said:

Nicole's next step...come home from Grenada...pregnant....Azan will be totally stuck in her web!

Do you really think he will be responsible for that child in any way - emotionally or financially?   He still will not marry her.  

• Love 4
2 hours ago, brillia79 said:

Libby doesn’t need to tell him to dress up and not be a menacing creep in an interview

Maybe he should go back to working as a bouncer.  But let me guess — Libby wants him home at night.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Neurochick said:

What did Russ' mother say to Pao, "I've talked with other Latino women?"  OMG, the ignorance.  

Bondy's review.

Love it!

“I asked three of them if they come to breakfast in lingerie and they all said no senora.”

• LOL 8
  • Love 4
23 minutes ago, Spike said:

The woman who performed the lip injection was like a poster child for bad facial work.  

OMG, was she ever!  The real mystery is that she had her face peeled back, but her arms were clearly the correct age.

2 hours ago, Neurochick said:

What did Russ' mother say to Pao, "I've talked with other Latino women?"  OMG, the ignorance.  

Bondy's review.

Love it!

I mean her heart was in the right place, but yeah .... that was pretty tone deaf.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I didn't find him menacing, maybe because miss Joyce looked like an unruffled woman who could handle herself.

It was just like all the things you do when you don't give a fuck.  Like immediately going for the free mini water.  Yes it's there and water is meant for drinking.  But before you even answer a question?  Asking how many jobs you can refuse before you're even on the roster?  Did he even explain to the woman why he might need to refuse a job?

I think it would be nice if Daddy Libby gave him some leads.  But if I were him, I probably would be less than motivated to help if I felt a lot of ingratitude and attitude from Andrei.  I'd also be less than excited to help if I got the impression that Andrei would show up late, not get the work done or do shoddy work.  It would kind of be him putting his neck out 

And even if Andrei doesn't get father Libby's help, he could totally start to build a client base if he was timely with a good attitude and good workmanship.

Based on what I'm seeing I'd be worried that he'd get super angry and defensive if someone questioned the quality of his work ...but if he could keep that at Bay he could do well.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, iwasish said:

Do none of these people think before getting pregnant? 

Libby and Andrei dob’t have a pot to piss in that belongs to them, but decide this is the right time to get pregnant.

Asuelu and Kalani  are depending on the generosity of family to survive yet decide to have a second child. 

Russ and Pao, their marriage is teetering on the brink of divorce, they can’t compromise on where they’ll live and Pao can’t stand his family and he disapproves of her cuh-reer choice. But hey let’s have a baby!!!!

Fuck up your own lives but why bring kids into it? Get your shit together people.

The only people who intentionally got pregnant were Russ and Pao.  I'm willing to bye a legit accident with Libby and Andrei.  And Kalani and Asuelu got pregnant because he's not a slut person who uses condoms and she'd still have sex with him without using any other form of birth control.

And unfortunately, idiocy has never stopped people from becoming parents.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
28 minutes ago, Kangatush said:

The only people who intentionally got pregnant were Russ and Pao.  I'm willing to bye a legit accident with Libby and Andrei.  And Kalani and Asuelu got pregnant because he's not a slut person who uses condoms and she'd still have sex with him without using any other form of birth control.

I’m sorry but in this day and age “accidental” pregnancies should be few and far between. I’ll give stupid teens a bit of a break, but Kalani is an idiot who should have told Asuelu, in no uncertain terms “ No glove, No love”. She is scared shitless of her father’s reaction to kid number 2!! after accidental kid number 1!! What does she think Asuelu is going to do if she refuses o have sex with him?  Cry? Stomp his feet?  He isn’t putting any bread on the table or paying for diapers, he’ll end up working for her father, probably  the same fate that will befall the other stupid couple Libby and Andrei. And why do I suspect Libby got pregnant accidentally on purpose? She knew daddy would piss and moan but in the  end “ of course I’ll fork over money to keep a roof over the head of my pregnant daughter” I wonder if she’s already figured Andrei will just give up and work for her daddy and deal. 

Russ and Pao, the dumbest of all if it was not an accident. He thinks a baby will “ settle her down and make a housewife out of her” and she figures she can run to Miami with the baby and he’ll follow along so as not to lose his child. 

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, Kangatush said:

I am watching their season and yes, Andrei is a handsome guy, but the more I watch the less I'm convinced he can be successful at much of anything.  

His temper is too hot for anything that requires customer interface.  He appears totally unable to handle any criticism, challenges, questions or negotiation.

He could probably be a bouncer.  That doesn't require many interpersonal skills.

• Love 7
15 hours ago, Chickabiddy said:

It's a shame Libby’s dad seems so vested in watching his daughter and her husband fail. He likes keeping Libby and now Andrei weak and dependent, so he can exercise control. 

Is this for real?? Wow...just wow.

Yeah, what a selfish prick, handing them a home rent free in return for upkeep on the place (which should be a given). Not to mention all the cash he's forked over. If that's "setting them up to fail", I wish I had someone to set MY ass up to fail!! 

• Love 7
8 hours ago, RealReality said:

I didn't find him menacing, maybe because miss Joyce looked like an unruffled woman who could handle herself.

It was just like all the things you do when you don't give a fuck.  Like immediately going for the free mini water.  Yes it's there and water is meant for drinking.  But before you even answer a question?  Asking how many jobs you can refuse before you're even on the roster?  Did he even explain to the woman why he might need to refuse a job?

I think it would be nice if Daddy Libby gave him some leads.  But if I were him, I probably would be less than motivated to help if I felt a lot of ingratitude and attitude from Andrei.  I'd also be less than excited to help if I got the impression that Andrei would show up late, not get the work done or do shoddy work.  It would kind of be him putting his neck out 

And even if Andrei doesn't get father Libby's help, he could totally start to build a client base if he was timely with a good attitude and good workmanship.

Based on what I'm seeing I'd be worried that he'd get super angry and defensive if someone questioned the quality of his work ...but if he could keep that at Bay he could do well.

That speaks volumes about his work ethic, red flag for that unflappable women running the interview oh and shorts...to an interview, really?  Even if he got a job his terrible interpersonal skills would be the end of any job.

I could see if he were on unemployment and did not really want that job but had to meet his 3 contact a week requirement but wow, how is Libby happy with this man?

• Love 4
(edited)
5 hours ago, SallySarue said:

Yeah, what a selfish prick, handing them a home rent free in return for upkeep on the place (which should be a given). Not to mention all the cash he's forked over. If that's "setting them up to fail", I wish I had someone to set MY ass up to fail!! 

No it’s not for real. I just made it up so you could quote it in an indignant response.😉

Libby’s dad has been setting her up to fail forever. She is 28 and works part time for daddy. He has never sought to empower her. 

My point exactly is he shouldn’t constantly give them money to live rent free or indulge their whims to move out while constantly criticizing them and whining about how much of a burden they are. 

Like it or not, the family is stuck with Andrei for at least a little while. It would serve Libby’s father much better to try to build a bridge with Andrei and be positive. Yes, he made a mistake about trucking school. I get it. People fuck up. Andrei is neither educated or sophisticated. But Libby married him, and now they are all stuck. Makes more sense to me to try to turn the chicken shit into chicken salad.

And  it would save Libby’s  father money in the long run if he decided to be supportive with the handyman idea then giving Andrei a few contacts and $5000 to get set up instead of a stream of constant handouts. Saying something along the following:

“Andrei, you’re new here, and you’ve married my daughter, and I have to accept that. I do want to help you by  giving you some seed money and referrals to get started in your business. However this is a one time deal, and you can’t keep coming back to the well.” I am here to give you advice and guidance, but otherwise you are independent.” 

But, see, if Libby’s dad does that, he loses power by not having $$ to use as a lure and a form of control. He gives financial help but LOVES bitching  about it ad nauseam. He has the power to say no and put his foot down. But he doesn’t because he gets off on the control and ego boost that comes from being Daddy Warbucks.

Libby’s dad set up the dynamic of enabling weakness a long time ago with Libby. It’s why she is 28 and still thinking like a teenager. The constant negativity that comes along with the hand outs sends a message that the receiver is not good enough or strong enough to make it without the handouts.  It’s a cycle that reinforces itself and keeps Libby’s dad dominant in her life.

Imagine how much more pleasant the family dynamic would be if Libby’s dad and treated Andrei with a modicum of respect and tried to guide him in a positive way. A one time payout with guidance and boundaries would have saved her dad $$ in the long run, but that’s would have deprived him of the high he gets from the sense of control and the chance to bitch.

And her whole family seems to thrive on negativity and toxicity. And let’s face it: it does make better TV and gins up the snark on the message boards as an added bonus. 😉

Edited by Chickabiddy
  • LOL 2
  • Love 10
(edited)
6 hours ago, SallySarue said:

Clearly, Andrei and Libby are the victims of a madman... giving them money, a nice home and opportunities. Sure, Daddy’s partly to blame for Libby’s entitlement, but he didn’t raise An-derp-rei, so what’s his excuse?

This is getting comical. Well, ok, I’ve been laughing since sexy, manly Andrei opened the season posted up on the couch with a beer gut and doing less than the least to support his household.

As for giving Andrei referrals, what??? Who in their right mind would put their professional reputation on the line for a son-in-law who has demonstrated  his ability to tantrum/walk off jobs before they are completed, has no proven skills and problems with authority?

Edited by brillia79
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, Kid said:

Do you really think he will be responsible for that child in any way - emotionally or financially?   He still will not marry her.  

Azan has no intention of having sex with Nicole. He visibly blanched when she was purring about "making out on the beach". She repels him.

On another note, I'm really a bit surprised that, when Chantel was bidding Pedro a tearful farewell at the airport, she didn't say "I'll miss you! Even though you went to my parents' house planning to attack my brother!"

• LOL 10
  • Love 5
14 hours ago, LellePCC said:

The difference is that the “evidence” against Colt is hearsay from Larissa and speculation from the audience due to his frugal spending. The evidence against Larissa is physical, such as police reports, photos, and videos of her behavior. And I do remember their interactions from when they first started off, thanks. 

The "evidence" against Coltee is on video as well...it's the way he misleads her, talks down to her, doesn't stand up for her, the gaslighting, etc etc...exactly what we are seeing with our own eyeballs every week. 

• Love 10
9 minutes ago, brillia79 said:

Clearly, Andrei and Libby are the victims of a madman... giving them money, a nice home and opportunities. Sure, Daddy’s partly to blame for Libby’s entitlement, but he didn’t raise An-derp-rei, so what’s his excuse?

This is getting comical. Well, ok, I’ve been laughing since sexy, manly Andrei opened the season posted up on the couch with a beer gut and doing less than the least to support his household.

He didn’t raise Andrei but he raised a daughter who is attracted to such a man enough to want to marry him. 

And again, Big Daddy can put his foot down and stop all of this by turning off the cash spigot. He doesn’t do that because he gets off on the dynamic he created. Pure and simple. Tired of your kid sponging off you? Stop taking their calls.  It’s so easy, really. 😉

In a parent - child relationship, the parent bears more responsibly for the dynamic because of the natural power imbalance. Libby is to blame for sure, but her father is more to blame.

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, Chickabiddy said:

He didn’t raise Andrei but he raised a daughter who is attracted to such a man enough to want to marry him. 

And again, Big Daddy can put his foot down and stop all of this by turning off the cash spigot. He’s not a victim either. He doesn’t do it because he gets off on the dynamic he created. Pure and simple. Tired of your kid sponging off you? Stop taking their calls.  It’s so easy, really. 😉

In a parent - child relationship, the parent bears more responsibly for the dynamic because of the natural power imbalance. Libby is to blame for sure, but her father is more to blame.

8 minutes ago, Chickabiddy said:

And again, Big Daddy can put his foot down and stop all of this by turning off the cash spigot. He doesn’t do that because he gets off on the dynamic he created. Pure and simple. Tired of your kid sponging off you? Stop taking their calls.  It’s so easy, really. 😉

Libby’s other sisters aren’t married to bums like Andrei. Maybe it’s just her.

Libby is almost 30. Her actions are mostly her fault. Dad is an enabler, but her bad choices are her own. Dad has even warned her how this would play out.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, brillia79 said:

Libby is almost 30. Her actions are mostly her fault. Dad is an enabler, but her bad choices are her own. Dad has even warned her how this would play out.

You are correct, her choice is on her. The fact that he continues to enable her is on him.

• Love 2
(edited)
21 minutes ago, brillia79 said:

I think you are restating essentially what I said. I am simply adding that as a lifetime enabler and a dominant authority figure, her father bears more responsibility for their dynamic.

And we don't really know anything about Libby’s sisters’ financial situations. We don’t know how much Big Daddy has given them over the years. If the Mercedes are leased and the houses are mortgaged to the eye balls, then they really aren’t rich.  They just look that way. Sure, Libby’s sister Jen has a fancy kitchen, but the house almost looks like a rowhouse so close to the others, and the garage seems to take up half the square footage. In other words, it looks like a modest, cookie-cutter house that you see all over Florida. Tract home built on the cheap with a good paint job and a few fancy fixtures. 

Maybe Daddy likes the husbands because he can control them and they do everything he says. We just don’t know enough from a reliable source. 

And Libby’s marriage hasn’t played out yet. Sure, it’s off to a rocky start, and big daddy is doing everything in his power to make sure his negative prophecy comes true, but we are still very much at the beginning.

Edited by Chickabiddy
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Chickabiddy said:

I think you are restating essentially what I said. As an enabler and a dominant authority figure, her father bears more responsibility for their dynamic.

And we don't really know anything about Libby’s sisters’ financial situations. We don’t know how much Big Daddy has given them over the years. If the Mercedes are leased and the houses are mortgaged to the eye balls, then they really aren’t rich.  They just look that way. Sure, Libby sister Jim has a fancy kitchen, but the house almost looks like a rowhouse so close to the others, and the garage seems to take up half the square footage. In other words, it looks like a modest, cookie-cutter house that you see all over Florida. Tract home built on the cheap with a good paint job and a few fancy fixtures. 

Maybe Daddy likes the husbands because he can control them to and they do everything he says. We just don’t know enough from a reliable source. 

And Libby’s marriage hasn’t played out yet. Sure, it’s off to a rocky start, and big daddy is doing everything in his power to make sure his negative prophecy comes true, but we are still very much at the beginning.

We aren’t saying the same thing. As an adult, Libby is responsible for the course of her own life. Her choosing to be lazy and go to get daddy for money is her own fault.  Dad is responsible for his enabling. And Andrei is responsible for his laziness, temper and entitlement. There is no Machiavellian plot to fulfill a broken marriage prophecy. Andrei and Libby do that all on their own with pride, deceit, poor decision making and lack of ambition.

Frankly, I could care less if Libby’s sisters live in mortgaged houses (like most everyone else in America) or drive leased cars. I never said anything about them being rich. You don’t have to be rich to pay your own way. If Dad is not paying their bills (which he has not indicated he is on this show), and they/their husbands are, then their households are sustaining themselves like able bodied adults should. This is also completely irrelevant and a gish gallop to cover the fact that Libby and Andrei as a couple are unwilling to take care of each other or take responsibility for their actions. And it’s no ones fault but their own.

Edited by brillia79
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, Chickabiddy said:

No it’s not for real. I just made it up so you could quote it in an indignant response.😉

Libby’s dad has been setting her up to fail forever. She is 28 and works part time for daddy. He has never sought to empower her. 

My point exactly is he shouldn’t constantly give them money to live rent free or indulge their whims to move out while constantly criticizing them and whining about how much of a burden they are. 

Like it or not, the family is stuck with Andrei for at least a little while. It would serve Libby’s father much better to try to build a bridge with Andrei and be positive. Yes, he made a mistake about trucking school. I get it. People fuck up. Andrei is neither educated or sophisticated. But Libby married him, and now they are all stuck. Makes more sense to me to try to turn the chicken shit into chicken salad.

And  it would save Libby’s  father money in the long run if he decided to be supportive with the handyman idea then giving Andrei a few contacts and $5000 to get set up instead of a stream of constant handouts. Saying something along the following:

“Andrei, you’re new here, and you’ve married my daughter, and I have to accept that. I do want to help you by  giving you some seed money and referrals to get started in your business. However this is a one time deal, and you can’t keep coming back to the well.” I am here to give you advice and guidance, but otherwise you are independent.” 

But, see, if Libby’s dad does that, he loses power by not having $$ to use as a lure and a form of control. He gives financial help but LOVES bitching  about it ad nauseam. He has the power to say no and put his foot down. But he doesn’t because he gets off on the control and ego boost that comes from being Daddy Warbucks.

Libby’s dad set up the dynamic of enabling weakness a long time ago with Libby. It’s why she is 28 and still thinking like a teenager. The constant negativity that comes along with the hand outs sends a message that the receiver is not good enough or strong enough to make it without the handouts.  It’s a cycle that reinforces itself and keeps Libby’s dad dominant in her life.

Imagine how much more pleasant the family dynamic would be if Libby’s dad and treated Andrei with a modicum of respect and tried to guide him in a positive way. A one time payout with guidance and boundaries would have saved her dad $$ in the long run, but that’s would have deprived him of the high he gets from the sense of control and the chance to bitch.

And her whole family seems to thrive on negativity and toxicity. And let’s face it: it does make better TV and gins up the snark on the message boards as an added bonus. 😉

In theory this makes a lot of sense, and it's likely that father Libby's hasn't even tried this approach with Andrei.

But, given Andrei hare trigger temper and defensive attitude, I think it would be hard to really give him leads or business.  Like it or not, when you refer or recommend someone it's your reputation on the line as well.  

Seeing Andrei's temper it's hard to imagine him taking direction he didn't agree with, accepting any kind of criticism, or listening to anyone who suggests that he redo any part of his work.  

And I generally think the handyman thing is a great idea, but you don't want to hire a handyman and be scared to question his work and request he redo something or tweak something that might be off.

He also seems like he would be a really difficult employee to manage because he gets so mad.  And he gets mad so fast!  I know he worked in Ireland, but I'm wondering if he has a history of being fired.

Based on what I've seen, if father Libby's had that conversation with Andrei he would lose his natural mind and refuse the money and the help because he is too prideful.

I agree that he has to kick baby bird out the nest, but she is old enough to where she knows she needs to leave.  My parents helped me a lot, because as you said, people fuck up sometimes....but that doesn't mean you take advantage.

ETA: as I've said, my parents, particularly my dad can be very helpful financially.  But I've always thought that part of having these amazing people who are willing to help you was respecting and loving them enough not to take advantage. 

Edited by RealReality
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

I think it would be nice if Daddy Libby gave him some leads

Daddy Warbucks gave Andrei better than a lead. He gave him a JOB (here is some work my rental house needs) and a salary (you can live in the house rent free). Andrei didn't finish the work and when called out on it, got his knickers in a twist and insisted they move out.

I think Daddy's obligations are done. Too bad he can't seem to cut them off. He'll be supporting them forever.

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

Daddy Warbucks gave Andrei better than a lead. He gave him a JOB (here is some work my rental house needs) and a salary (you can live in the house rent free). Andrei didn't finish the work and when called out on it, got his knickers in a twist and insisted they move out.

I think Daddy's obligations are done. Too bad he can't seem to cut them off. He'll be supporting them forever.

Sadly, this may be true.  Andrei's temper makes him a bad personality fit for a majority of jobs that require reporting to a supervisor.  It also makes him a bad fit for any job involving any degree of customer service. 

He can maybe be one of those bill collectors you hear on the news who are allowed to yell and threaten people.

And if Andrei has this convenient adherence to traditional gender roles, he won't want to take care of their child if Libby worked....which I doubt she really wants to do.

But damn, I wish that Libby's father would let it rip that he is paying for their new apartment.   

• Love 2

As for giving Andrei referrals, what??? Who in their right mind would put their professional reputation on the line for a son-in-law who has demonstrated  his ability to tantrum/walk off jobs before they are completed, has no proven skills and problems with authority?

Libby knew Andrei well enough before bringing him here to know that he and her father were going to butt heads. I’m thinking she was hoping that Andrei had what it takes to stand up to daddy, something Libby can’t do. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
50 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

I think, subconsciously, that s his goal.    Then he will be right. 

22 minutes ago, iwasish said:

Libby knew Andrei well enough before bringing him here to know that he and her father were going to butt heads. I’m thinking she was hoping that Andrei had what it takes to stand up to daddy, something Libby can’t do. 

I do, too. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, RealReality said:

Asking how many jobs you can refuse before you're even on the roster?  Did he even explain to the woman why he might need to refuse a job?

I'm going to cut him a break and say this is a legitimate question.  She is offering contract work.  It comes when it comes.  He MIGHT get 1-2 thousand miles a week but, then again, he MIGHT NOT.  There is no indication that this is his intention, BUT if he signed up with more than one agency, there is a chance he could be on a different job when they called him with an opportunity.  Many companies that hire for contract positions will contact you with a job, but if you are not available, will keep you in their list of contacts for the next opening.  You might not be their first choice but you will still be called.  To ask if you must take every single route offered every single time in order to stay on the roster is NOT really that outrageous of a question.  

• Love 9
12 minutes ago, iwasish said:

Did she really know him well enough? Do most of these couples on the show? I bet she gets off on Andrei challenging daddy and her sisters, but did she know she was still going to have to go back to daddy and ask him for shelter and living expenses because Andrei didn’t want to work unless it was for easy money? It was all so hot until she realized she was pregnant, had no money and her hubby declared they were in fact moving out of the house.

Life comes at you fast.

• Love 4
47 minutes ago, DaphneCat said:

I'm going to cut him a break and say this is a legitimate question.  She is offering contract work.  It comes when it comes.  He MIGHT get 1-2 thousand miles a week but, then again, he MIGHT NOT.  There is no indication that this is his intention, BUT if he signed up with more than one agency, there is a chance he could be on a different job when they called him with an opportunity.  Many companies that hire for contract positions will contact you with a job, but if you are not available, will keep you in their list of contacts for the next opening.  You might not be their first choice but you will still be called.  To ask if you must take every single route offered every single time in order to stay on the roster is NOT really that outrageous of a question.  

Thats reasonable.  And I think that had Andrei taken the time to explain or give any reason why he might refuse a job the woman would have agreed to keep him on the roster.  Like you said, it's not some hard and fast law that you boot people off the roster for refusing a job.

But it's possible she read Andrei's attitude and attire and decided that the "rule" for him was the one that would discourage him from signing up and wouldn't require her to deal with his attitude if she just declined to hire him at all.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

So, it would appear that I'm the only one who thinks that Azan will be detained at the airport in Grenada and told that he may not enter the country and therefore he will have to fly back to Morocco.  Of course, he will really and truly be broken-hearted...

Lol you’re giving him credit: assuming he won’t sell his plane ticket and he actually ends up there (to be turned away).  

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I am willing to give Mother Ross a break on her "I talked to some Latina women I know" comment simply because  she's probably had a very sheltered life that did not include many non-whites or non-Americans.   So she reached out to someone who might give her some advice. 

My neighbor, who was raised in a small town in eastern NC, says similar things.  For example, she knows that gays are a certain way because she had a gay supervisor and he was that way.   She has people at her church who are from African countries and she now assumes that everyone from Africa eats certain types of food.

The problem with Mother Ross and my neighbor is that, while they might have good intentions to understand a different culture, they generalize too much.

I'd say that Pao is also generalizing when she says she is the way she is because of her culture.  I happen to think that Pao has certain preferences for how she dresses and acts that have more to do with her personality than her culture.  I find it hard to believe that every woman from her country likes to dress the way she does, for example.

It's too bad that Pao wasn't able to say something like, "I appreciate that you were trying to learn about my culture by talking to your one Latina friend, but I just want to make sure you know Latinx people are all different.  Just like all white middle-class Americans aren't alike."

• Love 10
6 minutes ago, NannyBails said:

I'd say that Pao is also generalizing when she says she is the way she is because of her culture.  I happen to think that Pao has certain preferences for how she dresses and acts that have more to do with her personality than her culture.  I find it hard to believe that every woman from her country likes to dress the way she does, for example.

This! No one in Pao’s family that we saw her visit dresses like her. Much like here in the US, clothing tastes vary. She’s not wearing anything cultural that is unique to Colombia. You can get that same thotwear at Rainbow.

• LOL 4
  • Love 12
11 minutes ago, NannyBails said:

I am willing to give Mother Ross a break on her "I talked to some Latina women I know" comment simply because  she's probably had a very sheltered life that did not include many non-whites or non-Americans.   So she reached out to someone who might give her some advice. 

My neighbor, who was raised in a small town in eastern NC, says similar things.  For example, she knows that gays are a certain way because she had a gay supervisor and he was that way.   She has people at her church who are from African countries and she now assumes that everyone from Africa eats certain types of food.

The problem with Mother Ross and my neighbor is that, while they might have good intentions to understand a different culture, they generalize too much.

It's too bad that Pao wasn't able to say something like, "I appreciate that you were trying to learn about my culture by talking to your one Latina friend, but I just want to make sure you know Latinx people are all different.  Just like all white middle-class Americans aren't alike."

2 minutes ago, brillia79 said:

This! No one in Pao’s family that we saw her visit dresses like her. Much like here in the US, clothing tastes vary. She’s not wearing anything cultural that is unique to Colombia. You can get that same thotwear at Rainbow.

Pao doesn't WANT to get along with Russ's family.   She's using "culture" as a way to be the victim of his evil family.  They don't accept her "culture" meaning they would like a little respect IN THEIR OWN HOME!  (Wear a robe for god's sake, and at least TRY not to insult every person I invited to a party in your honor.)  I agree with Nannybails that Russ's mother is probably jumping to conclusions based on limited information, but this seems to be evidence that she is trying so hard to understand and get along with Pao.  For Pao to constantly portray her as an evil unaccepting witch is just cruel.

• Love 9
15 hours ago, Kid said:

I'd be most surprised if he gets himself in the position to impregnate her. He seems to follow the Book of Mohammed when it comes to religious practice (and I'm not speaking of the Muslim holy book). 

Since she supports him now, why would anything change if he made a baby with her?

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, DaphneCat said:

Pao doesn't WANT to get along with Russ's family.   She's using "culture" as a way to be the victim of his evil family.  They don't accept her "culture" meaning they would like a little respect IN THEIR OWN HOME!  (Wear a robe for god's sake, and at least TRY not to insult every person I invited to a party in your honor.)  I agree with Nannybails that Russ's mother is probably jumping to conclusions based on limited information, but this seems to be evidence that she is trying so hard to understand and get along with Pao.  For Pao to constantly portray her as an evil unaccepting witch is just cruel.

I’m aware that Pao doesn’t want to make nice with Russ’s family because she doesn’t want to move back to Oklahoma. I even said that Pao uses culture as an excuse where culture doesn’t factor in (re:clothing)

But first impressions have already been made and neither have recovered from them. These two will spend the rest of their lives sniping at one another from the side, then playing, “who, me?” Pao was shitty for being inexcusably late to the baby shower. And mom, instead of being direct with why that upset her and how it was disrespectful, spends the shower making snide comments: “You wouldn’t be Pao if you weren’t late.”, “That gift’s from Janet... who teaches night school in the mines. Shame she had to leave since it got so late...” 

I think Pao is rude, but I do think she can feel that Mom Russ doesn’t like her and didn’t from the time she first came to Oklahoma. I don’t think Mom Russ is evil. She’s a mom who loves her son, and is trying to tolerate someone she wouldn’t have chosen for him - with some legit reasons.

• Love 6
(edited)
3 hours ago, RealReality said:

But damn, I wish that Libby's father would let it rip that he is paying for their new apartment.   

Well, Andrei most certainly knows now!  Because, when I want to keep a secret indefinitely that I know will anger someone important to me, I invite a camera crew along to film it, as well.  (Just one of many things about their story line that doesn't ring true to me.)

It seems to me the couples who have a real relationship - e.g. Andrei/Elizabeth, Paola/Russ, Alexi/Loren - run out of drama pretty quickly, and their story lines end up embellished, shall we say.

Edited by SabineElisabeth
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, iwasish said:

I don’t think Libby wants to stand up to Daddy Warbucks. I think she is perfectly content to let Daddy pay her way through life. I also think she thrives on conflict and drama and that’s why she keeps stirring the pot.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
30 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

I don’t think Libby wants to stand up to Daddy Warbucks. I think she is perfectly content to let Daddy pay her way through life. I also think she thrives on conflict and drama and that’s why she keeps stirring the pot.

I 100% agree that Libby creates conflict and drama on purpose.  I think she knew when she came home and relayed the conversation with her dad in the worst possible terms and in the worst possible light that Andrei would lose his shit.  

It backfired though because I don't think she realized that he would stubbornly and illogically demand to move out of the rent free house.  It was kinda cool how her shit stirring backfired on her.

I'm watching their season, and she likes to be the intermediary between parties who relays conversations and makes the other person sound terrible.  She goes to her sister and paints her father and Andrei as both being crazy, while poor innocent long suffering Libby is just stuck in the middle and totally blameless. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Meowwww said:

Lol you’re giving him credit: assuming he won’t sell his plane ticket and he actually ends up there (to be turned away).  

actually, that is what I totally expect him to do!  I guess the sarcasm didn't come through as clearly as it did in my mind when I wrote it...

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SabineElisabeth said:

It seems to me the couples who have a real relationship - e.g. Andrei/Elizabeth, Paola/Russ, Alexi/Loren - run out of drama pretty quickly, and their story lines end up embellished, shall we say.

When we first met Andrei, he appeared to be a little rough around the edges, but a hard working man.  Somehow in a little over a year, he has turned into a work shy, ne'er do well.  Someone seemingly savvy as Andrei, would never give up a rent free house for a rental.  Especially since all they had to do was maintain the property. Not to mention showing up for a job interview wearing shorts, when he owns some nice slacks and buttoned down shirts.  Andrei dressed better to go shopping than he did for the interview. Everyone has to have a story line, but theirs doesn't make sense.  

• Love 5
On 5/20/2019 at 2:40 PM, LGGirl said:

In this case, I disagree.   There is no love between them.   A deal was brokered.  Colt made promises to get her here to essentially provide him sex.  He really hasn’t followed through on any promises.  Just for dealing with Colt and his mom, Larissa deserves more than what she has received.   Sorry, Coltee, nothing is for free.  

How has Larissa held up her part of the bargain?  She has done nothing but complain since the minute she arrived (where are my roses), when she knew perfectly well Colt lived with his mother and shared a car.  He gave her food, clothes, a roof over her head and some money.  Why does she deserve anything that is completely out of his budget?  Since she was so unhappy with EVERYTHING, she should have gone home and tried to con a richer man.  She has acted like shit since she arrived, and deserves nothing.  She can go home, but she wants to stay long enough to find another victim of her game.  She has/never had any interest in Colt....just a green card.  I hope she ends up deported at some point.

• Love 2

Season 5 is currently airing week days from 4-6 pm (EST).  Andrei talked Elizabeth into getting married right away, so that he could get his papers and start working.  Oh the irony!

51 minutes ago, Adeejay said:

When we first met Andrei, he appeared to be a little rough around the edges, but a hard working man.  Somehow in a little over a year, he has turned into a work shy, ne'er do well.  Someone seemingly savvy as Andrei, would never give up a rent free house for a rental.  Especially since all they had to do was maintain the property. Not to mention showing up for a job interview wearing shorts, when he owns some nice slacks and buttoned down shirts.  Andrei dressed better to go shopping than he did for the interview. Everyone has to have a story line, but theirs doesn't make sense.  

But what evidence did we have that he was a hard worker? Putting together a bed? His word is not bond. What we definitely have seen is him being a hothead, controlling and a reactionary.

• Love 2