Type keyword(s) to search

The Brown Kids

• Start Topic

24 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I don't understand the catfish thing. How is Meri not a victim? 

She's definitely the victim of the scam. However she chose to carry on with this person while still at least spiritually married. She chose to continue to communicate. She chose to involve her offspring. She chose to make plans to leave. Those are her decisions and she needs to own them.

If somebody talked me into robbing a bank and then left me behind and took all the money, would that make me the victim? I chose to do the wrong thing so I as guilty as the guy who got away.

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
9 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I don't understand the catfish thing. How is Meri not a victim? She was completely fooled into believing she was communicating with guy who was interested in her. Even if she was warned the person may not be who they say they are, Meri was taken advantage of. 

Scammers wouldn't scam if there weren't folks to scam. From online stores, kidnapped kids, IRS, GoFundMe, bogus/inferior products, catfishing, the list goes on and on. Con artists and thieves are everywhere and the internet has made it much easier for them, even with all the warnings out there.

Yes, Meri was technically married and was pursuing an affair, but she was conned, which means she was a victim of a scam.

This might belong in the Meri thread, but my response involves Leon, so maybe it can go here.  I do think Meri was a victim of the catfisher, I think maybe Leon (and others) lost sympathy for her because she took no responsibility for anything she did. According to Mykelti, Meri was sexting or having intimate conversations that Leon heard or knew about, plus she was dragging Leon along to meet the catfisher, and was according to their definition of these spiritual marriages “cheating” on Kody.  

I personally don’t blame Meri for trying to find a boyfriend but she essentially was putting Leon in the middle of this “affair” by dragging her along and allowing her to hear whatever these intimate conversations were.  This put Leon in the position of having to keep secrets from Kody and while Leon is not my favorite person, nobody should be made to hide an “affair” much less a parent’s.

So I do think Meri was a victim especially since according to the Browns the catfisher went way over the top with their scamming, but I think Meri went from victim to complicit when she starting involving Leon and this lessens some people’s sympathy   I think Leon stated at some point Meri never accepted her role in the mess.  I think some people she wasn’t a victim because they think she wouldn’t have been in this mess, if she weren’t out looking for a boyfriend especially since I guess the catfisher had allegedly try to target other family members first. (My personal opinion, Meri should have left and found a real bf, but that’s a whole other story). I think essentially Meri was a victim, but it gets pushed aside because she dragged her child into the mess and acted like she was forced into participating from the very beginning.

• Like 10
4 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

She's definitely the victim of the scam. However she chose to carry on with this person while still at least spiritually married. She chose to continue to communicate. She chose to involve her offspring. She chose to make plans to leave. Those are her decisions and she needs to own them.

If somebody talked me into robbing a bank and then left me behind and took all the money, would that make me the victim? I chose to do the wrong thing so I as guilty as the guy who got away.

Yes, I acknowledged the affair in my post. And yes, if your partner in crime screwed you, you were conned, so yes a victim.

If I rob a bank, get caught and resist arrest and are beaten up by cops, am I a victim? I am guilty of committing a crime, but I'm still a victim of brutality. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

I don't understand the catfish thing. How is Meri not a victim? She was completely fooled into believing she was communicating with guy who was interested in her. Even if she was warned the person may not be who they say they are, Meri was taken advantage of. 

Scammers wouldn't scam if there weren't folks to scam. From online stores, kidnapped kids, IRS, GoFundMe, bogus/inferior products, catfishing, the list goes on and on. Con artists and thieves are everywhere and the internet has made it much easier for them, even with all the warnings out there.

Yes, Meri was technically married and was pursuing an affair, but she was conned, which means she was a victim of a scam.

There is no honor among thieves . Meri was trying to con her own family, but was actually being the one conned. Just because Kody is an Asshat and Sam was a Catfish, it doesn’t negate that Meri was also cheating on her spouse and asking her child to lie about it all. They’re all guilty, and yet Kody and Meri could both be seen as victims of con artist. 

• Like 10
  • Applause 1
52 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Yes, I acknowledged the affair in my post. And yes, if your partner in crime screwed you, you were conned, so yes a victim.

If I rob a bank, get caught and resist arrest and are beaten up by cops, am I a victim? I am guilty of committing a crime, but I'm still a victim of brutality. 

I understand what you’re saying— it’s two different things that have gotten combined. Meri was a victim of catfishing, and she was guilty of having an emotional affair.
In the past, I had some compassion for Meri because of the catfish incident—she was lonely and had an empty nest. Kody was busy (mostly with Robyn) and I had the feeling that when he was at Meri’s he wasn’t exactly present. Meri did lie about it and wrongly involved Leon, but she was scammed by a sick person, imo.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Adiba said:

I understand what you’re saying— it’s two different things that have gotten combined. Meri was a victim of catfishing, and she was guilty of having an emotional affair.
In the past, I had some compassion for Meri because of the catfish incident—she was lonely and had an empty nest. Kody was busy (mostly with Robyn) and I had the feeling that when he was at Meri’s he wasn’t exactly present. Meri did lie about it and wrongly involved Leon, but she was scammed by a sick person, imo.

Totally agree. I can have sympathy for the catfish and for her situation with Kody and simultaneously think she made some big mistakes, namely involving Leon. But just because she's a cold bitch I don't think she deserved to be catfished.

• Like 7
On 2/4/2023 at 10:53 AM, GeeGolly said:

The warnings were key — Meri was warned by Leon and acquaintances that Sam wasn’t real — that the person was likely a catfish and she was advised to not start a relationship with the person. Women were already suspicious of this online persona. That’s the first reason that she’s not 100% victim. despite this, Meri dove head on into the relationship. I listend to the voicemails Meri left “Sam” — this was a 2 way street. All this AFTER she’d been warned. 

Then came all the catfish red flags — wouldn’t meet up, something would come up, wouldn’t video chat. On one meet up, Jackie herself showed up as Sam’s assistant. She even dragged Leon to one of the meet-ups and months later tried to play victim, as if Leon hadn’t been witness to any of it. And then Meri lied about it.

ETA: I don’t care that she did it. Just own it. Don’t lie. 

Additional edit: I get that it’s humiliating to be fooled. It’s easier to play victim than to admit you were warned but didn’t pay attention. Leon tried, and then called their mother out. 

Edited by TurtlePower
  • Like 9
  • Applause 1
7 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

ETA: I don’t care that she did it. Just own it. Don’t lie. 

The icing on the cake was when all the dirty details were revealed, Meri tried to justify her behaviour by attempting to convince the family that she was a heroine by "saving the family".

She claimed that "Sam" had made some vague threats against the family. When asked to explain the nature of the threats, she muttered something about Sam's assistant placing her phone over Meri's, extracting important family information.

If this is true, then would have been the time to come clean to the family, instead of trying to portray herself as their savior. 

• Like 7

I don't think those are tattoos, not even temporary ones. I think Truely is wearing a sheer, black over-blouse that has designs on it. Look at the designs on her mid-section.

Also, her hair doesn't look grey to me. It looks like she colored her blonde hair with blue or green dye (probably vegetable dye, which fades over time). 

truely.jpg

• Like 13
  • Useful 4
54 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

What's with Truley and the grey hair and tattoos?

To me, her hair looks like it was blue at one point and has faded. It appears to be a temporary color that washes out. If you look closely, you can still see patches of bluish. 

Grey is still popular, but it’s more like platinum silver. Still to me it looks like it was blue. 

actually found an article on it — she coloured it blue in December https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tvseasonspoilers.com/sister-wives/sister-wives-fans-impressed-with-christines-daughter-truelys-stunning-makeover-dyes-her-hair-blue/amp/

• Like 3
  • Useful 4

My daughter did the blue food coloring on her hair in high school (late 90's.)

I don't get the grey thing...I want to tell the people that dye grey that it'll happen naturally one day!

It's a cute picture of Christine and her girls.  Truely doesn't look too thrilled though.  Those younger teen years are tough for some of us.  I know they were for me, anyway.

• Like 10
5 hours ago, General Days said:

I don't think those are tattoos, not even temporary ones. I think Truely is wearing a sheer, black over-blouse that has designs on it. Look at the designs on her mid-section.

Also, her hair doesn't look grey to me. It looks like she colored her blonde hair with blue or green dye (probably vegetable dye, which fades over time). 

truely.jpg

She has the oddest way of standing. Like she is going to turn into She Hulk.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

My daughter did the blue food coloring on her hair in high school (late 90's.)

I don't get the grey thing...I want to tell the people that dye grey that it'll happen naturally one day!

It's a cute picture of Christine and her girls.  Truely doesn't look too thrilled though.  Those younger teen years are tough for some of us.  I know they were for me, anyway.

It’s the “in between” that sucks. I’d be okay with natural grey if it just went white. But no, ugliness ensues — more like salt and pepper with my black hair. Yuck. I’m currently on the road to silver platinum, currently at a light blonde.

It’s been a year of slow lightening process with lots of Olaplex, K18 and Brazilian bond building treatments. And lots of trims because no matter how careful you are, it’s still bleach. 

• Like 3
7 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

No worries. Christine says Truely is thrivingk. And we should believe everythingk Christine says.

9 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

And Aspyn - was she going for a hospital scrubs kind of look on purpose?

Aspyn's look is really confusing.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
On 2/4/2023 at 8:36 AM, hazefordays said:

Someone asked Gwen on patreon if Kody just supported Robyns kids at college and she said he's generous with money to all of them as far as she knew. He gave her and Ysabel 8k each out of the blue when they started college and she said other times if she said she was low on funds he'd give her cash or pay her rent for the month.

Last season Janelle mentioned that they got Garrison a car. That was Kody’s idea of getting him started in life…. 

He seems to dish out whatever and to whomever at will; Leon is a perfect example of this treatment. Leon always got most, the best of the best and even private schools. And that was not just on Meri. 

I hate it when parents are like that. Be fair and treat your kids equally. And yes, some may seem to need it more because they’re in college and others like Garrison and Hunter had jobs (which is not an excuse btw) but I’m sure Garrison would have loved 8k to put forward as a deposit or to renovate his house.

• Like 6

I feel like there are very few events in this family that are geared to be about Truly.  She seems to be dragged along like a piece of luggage and either things are geared toward her older sisters or little kids.  I feel bad for her because I agree, those years can be tough enough.

• Like 9
  • Useful 2
4 hours ago, Meow Mix said:

I feel like there are very few events in this family that are geared to be about Truly.  She seems to be dragged along like a piece of luggage and either things are geared toward her older sisters or little kids.  I feel bad for her because I agree, those years can be tough enough.

That's kind of the gig of being a tween though, isn't it? When I was a kid, I had things that were mostly about me - dance recitals, school plays, etc. but nothing really to film an episode about. We didn't have social media then, but when my daughter was in those types of things not so long ago, she didn't want us posting about them (so cringey).

I think Truely probably has an age appropriate amount of focus on her but I can see where it's better for it not to be emphasized on the show and on social media. 

• Like 15
On 2/3/2023 at 10:13 AM, Cetacean said:

The age of reason is considered to be seven years old.  Children as young as 14 can be tried as adults in a court of law. 

Calling people in their 20's "kids" seems bizarre to me.  At that age they are fully capable of making rational decisions and understanding the consequences of those decisions.

We all gain wisdom as we age and I am sure we all look back and see how we could have done things differently.  But excusing lying, cheating, grifting behaviors "because they are young" just doesn't cut it with me.

The frontal lobe doesn't mature until mid to late twenties.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Mother of Odin said:

The frontal lobe doesn't mature until mid to late twenties.

exactly.  I posted a link and some info on this very topic, but, can't remember if it was on this thread.  What society and "the law" says doesn't always go with science.  Everyone should be accountable of course, but, take all the facts.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 2/4/2023 at 5:59 PM, RazzleberryPie said:

Just because Kody is an Asshat and Sam was a Catfish, it doesn’t negate that Meri was also cheating on her spouse and asking her child to lie about it all.

The most unforgiving bit in this whole affair is dragging your kid into it and asking it to lie against the other parent. A child is unconditionally loyal to both its parents and this brings a child into an impossible position. You are forced to betray a parent; either the one who has the affair or the one who is not supposed to know. Add to that the knowledge that your parents' marriage is essentially a time bomb waiting to go off. And you hold the fuse because you know...

I know, I was there when I was 18 and do not wish it upon anyone, not even Leon.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 4

It does kinda make you wonder how some of the kids turned out to be pretty awesome adults... I mean, it's not that they had terrific role models, more like a whole bunch of bad examples.

• Like 7
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

IMO, raising kids is nature + nurture = crapshoot. Parents can't always take credit for their children's successes, nor should they take on all the blame for their kids' failures.

Breeding requires taking a chance, rolling the dice, and getting what one gets.  It's definitely a crapshoot.  I do think that the great majority of the Brown kids are going to outshine their individual parents in many ways.  In some cases, it's a low bar.  😜

• Like 13
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I wasn’t sure where to post this, since it’s about Leon, but it’s from Gwen.  What is it with the term safe?  Do they mean it literally?  

https://people.com/tv/gwendlyn-brown-says-trans-sibling-leon-has-been-separating-from-sister-wives-family-to-feel-safer/

I think "safe" has become the Browns' pet descriptor. From the People article:

Gwendlyn, 21, said that Leon, 27, has "just been separating themselves from the situation and been sticking to people that are more safe for them."

"It's not that they're not fitting in," Gwendlyn added, "it's that they have chosen to go to people who they can trust, and it's just they found a safer community for themselves."

In the particular context of what Gwendlyn said about Leon, I think she used "safe" and "safer" to mean more accepting/less judgmental.

• Like 6
  • Useful 2
13 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I wasn’t sure where to post this, since it’s about Leon, but it’s from Gwen.  What is it with the term safe?  Do they mean it literally?  

https://people.com/tv/gwendlyn-brown-says-trans-sibling-leon-has-been-separating-from-sister-wives-family-to-feel-safer/

The Browns use "safe" as a blanket term.  There are times when I think it means "I don't feel like I can open up with my feelings right now" but then it seems to mean "I do not trust you in any way to not use my vulnerable declarations as a weapon against me at some point"

And then it seems it can be a simple "you are a person I can relax and open up with" like a measurement of trust.

• Like 9
  • Useful 1
3 minutes ago, Roslyn said:

The Browns use "safe" as a blanket term.  There are times when I think it means "I don't feel like I can open up with my feelings right now" but then it seems to mean "I do not trust you in any way to not use my vulnerable declarations as a weapon against me at some point"

True.  I think Janelle never wanted to talk with Meri because it wouldn't end well for her, creating more issues than it helped.  Then Meri putting up her walls, because she didn't like being called on the carpet for her behavior to others.  Even Christine said she would belittle her and put her down in front of Meri's family members.  So she didn't like being around her.  So she didn"t feel safe being aound her.

• Like 7
On 2/8/2023 at 5:01 PM, ginger90 said:

3EA09F89-85E4-4391-A688-7D5C4DC93AA7.jpeg

My goodness, it suddenly got dusty in here...*sniff*

I still remember the tell-all interview after the Vegas move, where Hunter said that he wouldn't have gotten through it without Logan's help.  It's clear those two brothers are exceptionally close.  And I have always had a soft spot for Hunter - in the early seasons, you can see him holding and playing with baby Truely often.  He just seems like a genuinely kind person...in spite of his father.

• Like 19
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, laurakaye said:

My goodness, it suddenly got dusty in here...*sniff*

I still remember the tell-all interview after the Vegas move, where Hunter said that he wouldn't have gotten through it without Logan's help.  It's clear those two brothers are exceptionally close.  And I have always had a soft spot for Hunter - in the early seasons, you can see him holding and playing with baby Truely often.  He just seems like a genuinely kind person...in spite of his father.

There was one scene where Hunter came home from Air Force Academy Prep and did Truely's hair for her in the bathroom. I found that very touching. Christine and Janelle raised a wonderful person.

• Like 16