Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E16 Lashanta's Story

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Jeeves said:

When Dr. Now told Lashanta that she could qualify for WLS if she maintained the weight loss AND started walking, I thought of Milla (hope that's the correct name). She was the one who lost weight, and I think got WLS, but was still not walking in her followup episode. 

I wonder if Dr. Now added "getting off your butt and walking again" to his list of WLS criteria after dealing with Milla. I assume there's no physical reason that Lashanta - or Milla - could not walk again. I also assume there's going to be some very real physical, mental, and emotional work for them to do to achieve that goal. It seemed to me that Milla didn't want to walk; she had it so easy with all her kids taking care of her 24/7. 

Lashanta IMO is so effed up that I have no clue if she will ever walk again, if she ever wants to walk again, or if she has the guts to go through the hard effort and discomfort of learning to use her legs again even if she wanted to. She's managed to somehow acquire a gold grill, and people to take care of her and bring food and makeup and wigs and clothes to her as she sits spreadeagled on her bed, and even fetch and carry her plasticware chamber pots. She may be really into that queen bee situation. I'm not even sure why she ever wanted to lose weight anyway. It would screw up her number one life relationship: with food.

I think Milla had been bed bound for much longer than Lashanta.  I thought I heard Dr. Now saying at the beginning of Lashanta’s episode that she hadn’t lost too much muscle in her legs and it would be important to get her mobile before that happened.  But if her attitude to weight loss is any indication I can’t see her walking anytime soon.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, ams1001 said:

One of the dipping sauce options for chicken is plain honey. I just request a packet to dip my fries. The salty-sweet flavor is what makes it so good.

I don't even know where to start - honey on chicken??

If I  weren't doing keto, I might try a few fries w/honey to see if I've been missing anything. On the other hand, keto didn't stop me from having some Easter candy 😃, so who knows what might happen? 

• LOL 3
7 minutes ago, aliya said:

I don't even know where to start - honey on chicken?

I always dipped my McNuggets in honey when I was a kid. I didn't know it was weird...

When I was in college I worked in our little campus fast-food-type place (more like short-order cook), and when I worked the dinner shift I would sometimes make myself a grilled chicken sandwich with a drizzle of honey. But other than that I've only done it on fried stuff like chicken strips or nuggets.

• Love 2

On 4/18/2019 at 11:15 AM, Stiggs said:

And man, did she really meet her boyfriend while she was in the ER? I have a friend who always yells, "YET I'M STILL SINGLE!" and I'm always like, dude, it's just like on Intervention. Would you WANT to date any of these dudes? 

Oh man, I think the same way LOL. Prior to meeting my husband, I did not date, nothing. I felt like something was super wrong with me. Then we met and all was right with the world. But I do look at some of these folks and start to wondering again how it was I could never get a date????

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
On 4/18/2019 at 2:57 PM, Sparger Springs said:

My favorite part of the entire episode was when LaShanta said Dr Now called and she missed his call somehow. Somebody tell me how she managed to miss a call. She can't move.

LOL I was wondering the same thing. All I could think was maybe the phone was lost. Somewhere. 🤐

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I sometimes crave crappy food, but I usually regret it afterward (or sometimes before I'm even finished), and remember why I don't eat it often. And even then I don't crave the quantities or dripping-grease level these folks seem to go for. If I crave McDonalds, it's just a simple hamburger

That food is created to make you want more of it.  The occasional eating of it, no problem. Just don't do the three or four drive-thrus before dinner.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 4/20/2019 at 3:21 PM, Drogo said:

I just watched a woman cook fried chicken in her bed, wrap a drumstick in tissue, and shove it under her ass for later. 

Why. 

And, so, now I know why these appliance manufacturers put WARNING labels about how you should not use product why in bed or sleeping.  I always wondered where there got that stuff from. Come to find out, there are people using appliances in some pretty bizarre ways!  lol  

Seriously, I don't think these people realize how close they are coming to death. One slip and a severe burn to their groin, legs, etc. could end their life, considering the condition they are already in.  They wouldn't have the strength to fight off that kind of severe burn and infection.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
14 hours ago, nokat said:

That food is created to make you want more of it.  The occasional eating of it, no problem. Just don't do the three or four drive-thrus before dinner.

I refuse to do drive-thru. If I'm gonna eat crap fast food, I'm gonna at least get my ass out of the car and go get it. I've never had food delivered to my condo, either, and I've been here for seven years.

• Love 7
23 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

Potna?

Urban Dictionary's top two definitions for potna:

• Partner in Patois, the Jamaican accent: 'Mi potna dem crazy.'

• (texas pot-partner) Derived from the ghetto form of the word partner, "partna". The meaning of Potna is a smoking buddy. Someone you mostly just smoke with and not much else.
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 3

Is this weird or what?  Saturday I ended up at Walmart due to desperation.  (Long story, but, I was looking for an item that could not be found anywhere.)  As soon as I pulled into parking spot, this certain SUV pulled in next to my driver side. I fiddled around doing some things that I needed to do like lipstick, drank some water, checked phone, looked for something in purse, etc.  I did this hoping the passenger would exit the car, so that I could exit and we wouldn't bump doors. When the passenger (young male) and driver (mature lady) didn't exit, I got out. I glanced over and saw that they were eating what appeared to be fast food.  I went into the store and shopped. It took a while, because I was in search of these item for the bathroom for my mom.  Anyway, I went ahead and got some groceries too.  So, I was in there 11/2 to 2 hours.  When I came out, the same SUV was still there and they were STILL eating!  Now, I suppose it's possible that they got out, went into store, got more fast food and returned to car to eat 2 hours later OR they were there the entire time!  lol   Don't know why, but, that event reminded me of LaShanta!  

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

I can’t stand her Miss Prissy voice. And all that primping with her hair and tent while awaiting Dr Now’s phone call. Honey, he’s on the phone,,, he can’t see you!!!! 

And why are her hands always under the covers, moving around? Is she touching herself, can she even reach it? 

• LOL 3

She wanted to be a lawyer as a child.  Her mother wouldn't wake up when she was in labor with G,  so she had to take a taxi to the hospital.  Meh.  When my appendix ruptured, my husband, as always, was a zillion miles away on business. I called 911 all by myself!  Most uncomfortable ride ever, which included my famous moment of, what the EMTs called,  Exorcist vomit .  I also managed to be discharged 5 days later back to my house without a caregiver.  😁.  

Not surprisingly, she is active on social media.  And couldn't leave for Houston without her wigs.

And now ends my steam of consciousness comments as a mea culpa for last night.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, fonfereksglen said:

She wanted to be a lawyer as a child.  Her mother wouldn't wake up when she was in labor with G,  so she had to take a taxi to the hospital.  Meh.  When my appendix ruptured, my husband, as always, was a zillion miles away on business. I called 911 all by myself!  Most uncomfortable ride ever, which included my famous moment of, what the EMTs called,  Exorcist vomit .  I also managed to be discharged 5 days later back to my house without a caregiver.  😁.  

Not surprisingly, she is active on social media.  And couldn't leave for Houston without her wigs.

And now ends my steam of consciousness comments as a mea culpa for last night.

She’s on social media, but calling it “active” (lol) is a stretch. I doubt she burns more than 10 calories an hour typing. 

She misses Dr Now’s call but manages to get all the calls from her food supplying neighbor. 

Edited by iwasish
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

FORCED to go on a diet in the hospital, FORCED!!!!  That wasn’t the way she planned for this trip to go. 

Plus they want her to start walking, but she told them it’s not possible!! 

Those big bags they use to haul her in and out of the bed, they’re like those hail away construction debris bags. You fill them up with all kinds of stuff and the waste management hauler comes by and uses a crane to lift it into the dump truck. 

• Love 5

Her voice stresses me out. I ordered a couple  pizzas and some cheesy bread. I need grease.

Watching her rock back and forth, salivating and motioning to her son to hand over that pizza.... it was almost sexual. 

I like my pizza, but I don’t consider the 30 minute delivery time as foreplay. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, fonfereksglen said:

Probably burnout.  Too many episodes this year.  

I watched two episodes today waiting for the plumber to arrive and fix my leaky toilet. I had my ear buds on and was using the iPhone  to watch. I lied and told the plumber I was listening to CNN. 

• LOL 7

I always dipped my McNuggets in honey when I was a kid. I didn't know it was weird...

It's not weird at all. The Romans liked to dip their chicken in honey. Does McDonald's still offer honey as an option for dipping McNuggets? When I was growing up, we only had one fast food restaurant called Kenney's and they had the best fried chicken and fried biscuits (they still do!). We'd dip both the chicken and the biscuits in the tiny little tubs of honey.

So, I was in there 11/2 to 2 hours.

Oh, Lord. I read this totally wrong. I thought at first you spent 11 and a half hours in Walmart. No one could do that without hours of therapy and loads of medication afterwards. That place makes me crazy!

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, mmecorday said:

It's not weird at all. The Romans liked to dip their chicken in honey.

Not weird at all. My DIL’s BIL made us a charcuterie board with a honey comb plopped in the middle (an artful arrangement) and it was delicious. Kudos to him.

Now I forgot which board I’m on. *sighs*

• Love 5

OMG OMG OMG! The third tattoo is a mistake. It was supposed to be an "L" but she wrote it down backwards....okay so the tattoo artist didn't know it was supposed to be an L I guess? WHAT? How do you write an L backwards? Maybe a cursive L it was? the ignorance on this show never fails to amaze me. This backwards L tattoo mistake takes the mutherfucking cake (not part of your diet)

also was it a bonus scene when she posed all sexy for her friend at the drive thru- hey Shiela LOOK and she ran her hand down her body like "look how sexy I am- check me out and how hot I am"!!! I about died!!!

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
On 4/20/2019 at 2:05 PM, PradaKitty said:

I applaud the medical transport driver for being able to drive in a closed ambulance with the stinky one. 

Sorry. I'd have the windows open, the back doors open, and I'd be aiming for every pothole and curb I could find. Not sorry.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, mmecorday said:

It's not weird at all. The Romans liked to dip their chicken in honey. Does McDonald's still offer honey as an option for dipping McNuggets? When I was growing up, we only had one fast food restaurant called Kenney's and they had the best fried chicken and fried biscuits (they still do!). We'd dip both the chicken and the biscuits in the tiny little tubs of honey.

Oh, Lord. I read this totally wrong. I thought at first you spent 11 and a half hours in Walmart. No one could do that without hours of therapy and loads of medication afterwards. That place makes me crazy!

Walmart is only really annoying on the first weekend of the month. And the day before any major holiday. Otherwise, it's like any other grocery/big box combo, although a bit more entertaining. Wally World snobs are either 1). Lying about never setting foot there or, 2). Missing out on a whole other world of wonder. Granted, I live in a rural area, so I cannot speak of Walmarts in city settings. I can say that for some of the far-flung farmers in this county, a trip to Walmart is akin to a trip to Disney World, judging from the looks of dazzled amazement on some faces. And the Amish horses heartily approve of Walmart, since there is a good chance they won't be hauling the buggy all over town; everything needed is available in one location.

However, I need to drag this back to the topic at hand, so...yeah. You can buy honey and chicken and frying oil AND pans to fry your chicken right there in the comfort of your own bed at Walmart. See you there!

P.S. The Amish horses are very glad they don't have to deal with poundtestants, like hunky firefighters do.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 1:32 PM, LuvMyShows said:

Preach!!!  I've often wished someone would do with McD's like what Jared did with Subway (before we knew he was a perv!).

If I was the child, and she asked me to do something, I'd be sooo tempted to say, "Let your precious food do that for you, cause my give-a-damn's busted!"

But it wasn't a base hit in the ninth inning, because the show ended right after her one success and we have no idea how it went when she tried to relearn to stand and walk, and if she even qualified for WLS.  So really it was more like she managed a bunt for her second at-bat, but has two more to go. 

As we've noticed with other poundticipants, but even moreso with her...the food that they fantasize about is such crappy, gross-looking, heavy, food.   I seriously wonder if they have ever experienced truly well-cooked flavorful healthy meals and simply prefer the crap, or just prefer the crap 'cause it's all they know and it's plentiful.

They have done it with McDonald's. It's called Fathead.

• Love 4

Everything from her voice to her bulging eyes to the feet that look like they’re screwed to the end of her legs makes me shudder.

” I want what I want”  

Her boyfriend saying bigger women are “more  cuddley” 

Her son” if I don’t do what she say she go from 0-100 on me”

what exactly is she going to do? She can’t even get off that bed. If she yells, just leave. Like a dog, she’ll learn. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
On 4/18/2019 at 9:07 PM, Scarlett45 said:

Yes. Something tells me her mother wasn’t exactly “present” in the way she should’ve been. ( not excusing the dad for walking out) She may rightly be sick of her daughters BS but here was she when she was growing up, and a new mom at 14. The woman can be right about her daughter being lazy and still have been neglectful towards her. 

I just watched the supersize version tonight, and learned this lil disturbing factoid: it said that when lashanta went into labor with one of her kids (germy maybe?) her mother *wouldn’t* wake up, so lashanta had to take a taxi to the hospital. I don’t know whether to 🙄 or 😥

ETA Oops just saw that fonfereksglen (hope I spelled that right) included this little tidbit in a much more thorough recap, above. Still, I find it disturbing...but not all that surprising. 

Edited by CringeWatcher
  • Love 1
50 minutes ago, CringeWatcher said:

I just watched the supersize version tonight, and learned this lil disturbing factoid: it said that when lashanta went into labor with one of her kids (germy maybe?) her mother *wouldn’t* wake up, so lashanta had to take a taxi to the hospital. I don’t know whether to 🙄 or 😥

ETA Oops just saw that fonfereksglen (hope I spelled that right) included this little tidbit in a much more thorough recap, above. Still, I find it disturbing...but not all that surprising. 

Sad but if Lashanta’s daughter was pregnant and went into labor, what exactly would Lashanta do?  Perhaps call a cab and ask if they could stop on the way to her apartment and pick up some KFC? Clearly Lashantas mom was useless, but in reality so is Lashanta. 

All  those tests DrNow ran, he should have had her take an IQ test.  Either that little girl/Ms Prissy voice was an act or she’s bordering on imbecile. 

That whole pleading scene with Dr Now, was just nauseating. He should have just walked away. 

• Love 7
17 hours ago, iwasish said:

Sad but if Lashanta’s daughter was pregnant and went into labor, what exactly would Lashanta do?  Perhaps call a cab and ask if they could stop on the way to her apartment and pick up some KFC? Clearly Lashantas mom was useless, but in reality so is Lashanta. 

All  those tests DrNow ran, he should have had her take an IQ test.  Either that little girl/Ms Prissy voice was an act or she’s bordering on imbecile. 

That whole pleading scene with Dr Now, was just nauseating. He should have just walked away. 

I watched the rerun yesterday (I think) and she just grated on me big time. The little girl voice, the failure to help herself even though she had young kids who needed her (and their own space), everything. Her legs did look horrific. If any of us looked like that, we'd be begging for a 30 day water fast to bring down the weight, but this woman can't even eat some chicken and broccoli.

I noticed her eyes - I wonder if she has thyroid issues? Also, she seemed to doze off when Dr Now was speaking. She said her breathing was OK, but I wonder if she didn't suffer from oxygen deprivation - or maybe sleep apnea, which would make her sleepy during the day. 

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, aliya said:

I noticed her eyes - I wonder if she has thyroid issues? Also, she seemed to doze off when Dr Now was speaking. She said her breathing was OK, but I wonder if she didn't suffer from oxygen deprivation - or maybe sleep apnea, which would make her sleepy during the day. 

So does an extra 500 lbs.  It's hard to oxygenate that much tissue and have anything left for your brain.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 7/8/2019 at 5:51 PM, SuzieQ said:

THAT VOICE!!!!

That's all I've got!

Miss Prissy's episode is currently on DLIF.  What is with the guy in the backseat with her wearing a napkin on his head?

I was pretty burned out after six months of new episodes, but I am starting to miss this show!

• Love 2

OK.  I admit I don't pay perfect attention to the episodes. Live Chat!

So....when she tells her son she needs some grease, she orders a pizza with one side half pepperoni and one half sausage. She then consumes the entire pizza.   I guess this is a clever way to order a one topping pizza!

I do remember this was overall a sad, depressing episode.

• Love 1

This show has turned into a whole bunch of nothing. 

Oy, just two hours of simply highlighting all the behaviors that got them to over 600 lbs. in the first place. And then the desperate scramble to have some kind of hopeful/uplifting moment in the last five minutes.

• Love 1
On 5/20/2019 at 2:37 PM, cynicat said:

So does an extra 500 lbs.  It's hard to oxygenate that much tissue and have anything left for your brain.

Forgive my ignorance, but is this really true? It kind of makes sense in a sad way, actually...

On 4/25/2019 at 7:04 PM, the-grey-lady said:

I've been absolutely captivated by LaShanta's legs since I watched this episode. I had this niggling suspicion that they reminded me of something, but what?

I've finally got it.

stackingrings.jpeg

Thank you for the chuckle! Absolutely spot on; they totally look like this!! At what point do you look down and see your legs starting to resemble a Fisher Price toy, and just... keep on trucking? I guess at around the 500 pound mark? Jesus.

Edited by Ralphster
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1