Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E14: Broken

ESS
  • Start Topic

When Metro LA’s 9-1-1 system is hit with a massive system-wide power outage, the call center must go old school in responding to emergencies. The first responders must deal with explosions in multiple homes and a difficult child birth. Meanwhile, Michael confronts Bobby about parenting his kids.
Edited by ESS

So after all that drama, Maddie and Chimney are over just like that? Okay, show.

Michael is a piece of work. Bobby should have punched him for that comment about him being a father, not served him pie. I am glad his boyfriend dumped him.

So the mother miraculously came back to life? That was a bit much, but I did enjoy the other rescue and Chimney's reaction to plane coming to the rescue.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 9

I think I was too emotionally spent already by watching The Resident before this episode. When the wife was supposedly thought dead, I didn't have any more tears. I was sad for the husband, but not nearly as sad as I was for the other one. And then Hen performed her miracle. I guess they had to do it to make up for what happened in the previous hour. I couldn't take much more.

Glad that Bobby and Michael "made up" towards the end but I knew that Michael had to have something bothering him. I know he was upset over Harry gravitating toward Bobby and him looking to him as the cool fireman, but he is absolutely right that they need to get on the same page so they can all effectively co-parent together. I'm so sad that he and Glen broke up. They're both insecure - Michael with not being able to live up to the hype as a dad, and Bobby for not actually being a dad anymore. "I'm not anyone's father". THAT was sad.

The rest was okay, definitely liked the fire action but would like to see something more comedic again.

Next week looks...intense.

• Love 10
6 minutes ago, ShortyMac said:

The doctors would have brought the mother inside and worked on her. They would not have left her in the ambulance and stop the code after only being down for fifteen minutes. 

TY! That was so odd to just leave the new geriatric mom & Hen in the truck. Come on, hospital staff, you have all the equipment! Get to work.

• Love 8

I will grudgingly admit that my cold, cynical heart grew three sizes when that mother breathed.  I was so pissed she "died" and so happy when she came back to life.  Also that baby was hella cute.

Michael was about to catch these hands!  LOL.  I love his dynamic with Athena, Bobby and the kids.  So his being pissy just disappointed me so hard.  I was really happy he came back and apologized and the scene with him and Bobby was really excellent.  It did a good job of giving each man's perspective -- dad who realizes he has to cede some authority to new stepdad, and the stepdad who has to figure out where he fits in the authority structure with the kids.  I liked Michael telling Bobby they had to work on his 'bad cop' routine.  Also got a quiet chuckle out of Bobby awkwardly asking if Michael wanted to talk about his break up and Michael just as awkwardly shutting that down. 

I am bummed about Maddie and Chim.  Hopefully this is only a hiccup and they get to healing and we'll revisit them.

I was so impatient for them to get back to the exploding homes.  I liked the scenes of 911 going old skool.  Also the FBI team were dressed awfully casual for an FBI team.  They seemed shady to me for awhile.

Good episode.

• Love 11
57 minutes ago, tvgoddess said:

I think I was too emotionally spent already by watching The Resident before this episode. When the wife was supposedly thought dead, I didn't have any more tears. I was sad for the husband, but not nearly as sad as I was for the other one. And then Hen performed her miracle. I guess they had to do it to make up for what happened in the previous hour. I couldn't take much more.

Ugh agreed. Made worse that it was a really similar set up.

I agreed with Buck that Eddy's stunt was something Buck gets yelled at for. I also didn't see how Chimney calling his buddy to drop a ton of water on people who had no idea it was coming didn't kill some people.

Next week - Hen in a bank vault with a toxic substance.... meh. 

• Love 1

Morning after, I realize that I might have been a bit tough on Michael, but that was such a cruel thing to say to Bobby. Hopefully, Michael and Bobby will figure out how they want to move forward. A lot of fathers would not want their wives' significant others disciplining their children so Michael is different.

• Love 4

I don’t think Maddy abd Chim are over over.  It wouldn’t make sense if they just hopped into bed after everything that happened.  Plus where would the drama be after everything that happened.  It makes more sense to have them work their way back to where they even were in the first place.  It’s sad but true.

As for Michael, he was an ass but it’s understandable why.  Having his son be in awe of Bobby must have hit him hard.  But it says something that he ultimately apologized for his attitude.

• Love 13
9 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I will grudgingly admit that my cold, cynical heart grew three sizes when that mother breathed.  I was so pissed she "died" and so happy when she came back to life.  Also that baby was hella cute.

That may be the cutest baby I've ever seen, and I've watched all the seasons of Call the Midwife.

9 hours ago, Rap541 said:

I agreed with Buck that Eddy's stunt was something Buck gets yelled at for. I also didn't see how Chimney calling his buddy to drop a ton of water on people who had no idea it was coming didn't kill some people.

Those tankers are not stealth - so there was time to get the folks into a safe place (who knew fire trucks could also be shelter). I also liked the point that dumping all that water isn't anything like using fire hoses - there's a reason they aren't used for city/suburban fires (unless it's a raging wildfire).

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

I understood Michael being irritated with Bobby, and I'm surprised that it took so long for them to have a confrontation.  I'm glad it was resolved though, at least for now. 

Granted, I haven't watched every episode, so when did Bobby and Athena get  married? 

14 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I understood Michael being irritated with Bobby, and I'm surprised that it took so long for them to have a confrontation.  I'm glad it was resolved though, at least for now. 

Granted, I haven't watched every episode, so when did Bobby and Athena get  married? 

They aren't, yet.

3 hours ago, SimoneS said:

Morning after, I realize that I might have been a bit tough on Michael, but that was such a cruel thing to say to Bobby.

I think its a rough thing to say to Bobby as well, but.... Bobby did get his kids killed by irresponsibly getting drunk and setting an entire building on fire. And now he's pretty much moved in to Michael's home with Michael's wife and kids. I can see where there would be concerns. 

eta - I also think way too many people know Bobby's backstory to where I can't help but wonder when that will be used as blackmail. 

Edited by Rap541
  • Love 5

I did like the fact that Maddie and Chim decided to take a breather.  Considering what they've both gone through, I thought their decision was quite realistic and understandable.  However, I won't mind if they don't get back together and just remain friends.

1 hour ago, Rap541 said:

I think its a rough thing to say to Bobby as well, but.... Bobby did get his kids killed by irresponsibly getting drunk and setting an entire building on fire. And now he's pretty much moved in to Michael's home with Michael's wife and kids. I can see where there would be concerns. 

eta - I also think way too many people know Bobby's backstory to where I can't help but wonder when that will be used as blackmail. 

I thought things were moving along too quickly and smoothly, so it seemed unrealistic to me that Michael would go along with things and not have any concerns.  So I'm glad that he and Bobby cleared the air, at least for now.  I agree that somehow Bobby's backstory will come up again. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

That may be the cutest baby I've ever seen, and I've watched all the seasons of Call the Midwife.

Those tankers are not stealth - so there was time to get the folks into a safe place (who knew fire trucks could also be shelter). I also liked the point that dumping all that water isn't anything like using fire hoses - there's a reason they aren't used for city/suburban fires (unless it's a raging wildfire).

It was discussed in regards to the Notre Dame fire; folks were asking why they weren't doing air drops of water, and it was explained that the 850-yr old structure wouldn't have held up to the sheer weight of the water.  I suspect those houses may have collapsed as well, irl.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 14
52 minutes ago, Rap541 said:

Bobby did get his kids killed by irresponsibly getting drunk and setting an entire building on fire. And now he's pretty much moved in to Michael's home with Michael's wife and kids. I can see where there would be concerns. 

I believe a dad having concerns about a stepdad's influence and background when he is around his kid is very valid and real.  But I think realistically, those concerns are normally addressed in the beginning when it is clear this is a person who will be seriously involved in those kids' life.  I think they kinda missed the opportunity there to show that sort of uncertainty transition period with Michael and went straight to the kumbaya,  all things are all good.  So this coming the way it did at this point was a bit of blindside. 

But I do I think the way it played out was realistic, the overheard comment coupled with Michael's residual feelings around his break up.  So he was probably struggling with feelings of rejection from Glenn so to seeming have Bobby's job held up as heroic by his son might have also made Michael feel rejected in that quarter as well.  But let's face it, some parent jobs are just boring. My husband is a college professor.  If for some reason we divorced and I remarried a firefighter, the 'take your kid to work day' just could not compare.  LOL.

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

I believe a dad having concerns about a stepdad's influence and background when he is around his kid is very valid and real.  But I think realistically, those concerns are normally addressed in the beginning when it is clear this is a person who will be seriously involved in those kids' life.  I think they kinda missed the opportunity there to show that sort of uncertainty transition period with Michael and went straight to the kumbaya,  all things are all good.  So this coming the way it did at this point was a bit of blindside. 

But I do I think the way it played out was realistic, the overheard comment coupled with Michael's residual feelings around his break up.  So he was probably struggling with feelings of rejection from Glenn so to seeming have Bobby's job held up as heroic by his son might have also made Michael feel rejected in that quarter as well.  But let's face it, some parent jobs are just boring. My husband is a college professor.  If for some reason we divorced and I remarried a firefighter, the 'take your kid to work day' just could not compare.  LOL.

I have always thought that Michael's quick acceptance was in part relief that Athena had someone, and some of the burden of his choice to leave was lifted from his shoulders.

I was surprised at his seemingly sudden resentment, but it made sense once he confessed that Glenn left him. 

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Rap541 said:

Why would it?  Blackmail only works when there is something to blackmail.  Bobby has nothing to blackmail.   It’s funny viewers blame him for what was an accident as much as his own conscience dies and are actually hoping he gets hurt for what amounts to a tragic accident.   And Bobby was only partly responsible for what happened to his family.  He blamed himself because as a firefighter he should have noticed he moved his family into a firetrap.  That is what he blames himself for.  Not the actual fire which shouldn’t have burned the building down.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

And Bobby was only partly responsible for what happened to his family.  He blamed himself because as a firefighter he should have noticed he moved his family into a firetrap.  That is what he blames himself for.  Not the actual fire which shouldn’t have burned the building down.

Not exactly. Bobby caused the fire by drinking alone in an unused apartment and leaving his space heater he was using to keep warm as he drank in the apartment he had no business being in on to where it caught on the blanket he was using and then burned the building down. It wasn't just his family that died, and Bobby's negligence killed what, over 150 people? He's a firefighter, a good case can be made for negligent homicide. 

• Love 7

Awww I dont care how far fetched it might be, I full stop cheered when the ladies heart started pumping again when she felt her baby. The actors playing the parents/parents to be really sold me on their story, and that baby was ridiculously adorable. Way to go, Hen!

I dont think that Maddie and Chimney are really done for real, they're just taking a minute to heal after the whole traumatic incident. I think they will find their way back to each other pretty soon. I did like both of their plots, with Chimney saving the day from his couch, and Maddie kicking ass as the call center. 

You know, as sad I was to lose Abbey, I think having Maddie around has been for the best. With Abbey, we hardly saw any of the call center or all the work that goes on in there, because she was already an experienced call handler and most of her plot happened outside of work. With Maddie, we can see more of the perspective of a new employee, and more of what goes on there, like with the firefighters and the cops. I really like Maddies bosses, they always add a lot with short scenes. 

I kept wanting them to get back to the family and the neighborhood on fire! God that was so intense, even knowing that they probably wouldn't have a kid get blown up, especially after establishing his family and their tragic backstory. 

Michael might have concerns about his kids having another new parental figure, but he was clearly just jealous of his son thinking that his "new dad" had a cooler job than him. And maybe dont bring up your petty jealousy in the middle of an emergency situation? I normally like Michael, so I was glad that he realized what he was doing and came to apologize, and they had afterwards was really good. Poor Bobby isnt anyone's dad anymore. 

• Love 11
3 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

You know, as sad I was to lose Abbey, I think having Maddie around has been for the best. With Abbey, we hardly saw any of the call center or all the work that goes on in there, because she was already an experienced call handler and most of her plot happened outside of work. With Maddie, we can see more of the perspective of a new employee, and more of what goes on there, like with the firefighters and the cops. I really like Maddies bosses, they always add a lot with short scenes. 

I like the call center scenes and Maddie's supervisors also. I think that they add an interesting component of 9-1-1 to the show. 

• Love 15
1 hour ago, Rap541 said:

Not exactly. Bobby caused the fire by drinking alone in an unused apartment and leaving his space heater he was using to keep warm as he drank in the apartment he had no business being in on to where it caught on the blanket he was using and then burned the building down. It wasn't just his family that died, and Bobby's negligence killed what, over 150 people? He's a firefighter, a good case can be made for negligent homicide. 

Yes but that is my point and was ultimately his.   At worst the space heater should have taken out the apartment not the entire building.  The fact that the building didn’t have all the necessary equipment like smoke detectors and that the guy who ran the building used went cheap made it that Bobby at most was ultimately not responsible.  

If I start a fire in my apartment and the entire building goes up in flames i would question the status of the building.  

• Love 3

The pregnant woman's husband was Billy Riggins from Friday Night Lights! 

7 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Yes, that was an adorable four-month-old she delivered. 🙂 Those curls! 

4 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Isn't Michael an architect or did I make that up? That's a pretty cool job, I think, though not as sexy/heroic as firefighting. 

We were overdue for that conversation between Michael and Bobby, I think. Even under the circumstances, where Michael is genuinely glad Athena has found someone and he still loves her as a friend/mother of his kids, just not as a romantic partner, and Bobby is a good dude, I did think they jumped right into the "we're all family!" thing too quickly.

"We broke up." "You sure you don't want pie?" I laughed.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Rap541 said:

I always thought they went way overboard with the writing for Bobby's backstory. They could have easily made a compelling case for him to be a tragic anti-hero with just his family dying. It was horribly sad and could cause him to have PTSD, survivors guilt, etc. Even as my favorite character, I sometimes have a hard time getting past that many people died directly or indirectly because of Bobby and his addiction. Even the Grenfell Tower fire didn't kill that many. He and his wife should have gotten divorced, they were already having problems.

I missed Athena in this episode. I felt like she was barely there, blink and you miss it.

I don't know about Chimney and Maddie, but pasta and wine no matter where you're eating it sounds like a good date to me. But that's fine to slow it down. Between that and the pie and ice cream, I felt like all my food cravings were (almost) satisfied. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Empress1 said:

The pregnant woman's husband was Billy Riggins from Friday Night Lights! 

Yes, that was an adorable four-month-old she delivered. 🙂 Those curls! 

Isn't Michael an architect or did I make that up? That's a pretty cool job, I think, though not as sexy/heroic as firefighting. 

We were overdue for that conversation between Michael and Bobby, I think. Even under the circumstances, where Michael is genuinely glad Athena has found someone and he still loves her as a friend/mother of his kids, just not as a romantic partner, and Bobby is a good dude, I did think they jumped right into the "we're all family!" thing too quickly.

"We broke up." "You sure you don't want pie?" I laughed.

I don't know how I missed that it was Billy Riggins!

I know those curls were everything, and that tiny smile.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Rap541 said:

That wasn't actually shown though. The blanket was quite far from the heater. Those heaters are also designed so things can't just fall into them and catch fire they would be too dangerous to use on construction sites otherwise. The blanket was a sleeping bag which do tend to be treated to be flame retardant even the cheap ones are mostly plastic and doesn't burn very well.  The heaters also usually have an automatic shutoff when tipped over. Its entirely possible the fire was caused by an electrical fault or kitchen fire and Bobby just thinks he started it. I doubt Bobby stuck around to hear the official reports. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Emily Thrace said:

Its entirely possible the fire was caused by an electrical fault or kitchen fire and Bobby just thinks he started it. I doubt Bobby stuck around to hear the official reports. 

I mean, anything is possible, including magical fairies with arson tendencies setting the fire, but I don't think there was any question about Bobby being responsible for the fire. I checked the episode description on wiki and found this sum up - "Bobby tells his confessor how he accidentally killed his family five years before, when, under the effects of oxycodone and alcohol, he forgot to turn off a space heater, which burned his building down." Drunk and high, and breaking into an empty apt to continue getting drunk and high and leaving a space heater unattended which led to the deaths 150 people.... I can't believe he'd walk away with a pat on the back and a "this was an unpreventable accident". 

That the building was apparently made of kindling is an entirely different issue, but at the end of the day, all those people including Bobby's kids would be alive if Bobby hadn't been drunk and high in a vacant apartment with a space heater. 

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I will just head canon that the tanker made a couple of orbits to warn the Captain, and the news helicopter to get out of the way. On screen it looked like an Air Force bomber catching the enemy out in the open

• Love 2

I loved watching Chim Marie Kondo his wardrobe. I went through and did that myself last week, although I have no patience to fold the survivors into such an organized fashion.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, Raja said:

I will just head canon that the tanker made a couple of orbits to warn the Captain, and the news helicopter to get out of the way. On screen it looked like an Air Force bomber catching the enemy out in the open

Been through a lot of fire seasons, I see those tankers more than I'd like. But even in real life they look like that - always makes me a little nervous, having been a military brat and being aware of unusual air traffic.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

It was discussed in regards to the Notre Dame fire; folks were asking why they weren't doing air drops of water, and it was explained that the 850-yr old structure wouldn't have held up to the sheer weight of the water.  I suspect those houses may have collapsed as well, irl.

That's exactly what I thought yesterday watching it. (kind of weird that this rescue was aired the next day after ND fire) People were faulting city government and firefighters for not using helicopters or airplanes. Those people are French, Parisians. Whatever the rest of the world felt watching the cathedral burn, they felt it 1,000 times stronger. Why would anyone doubt professionals with THAT much at stake.

I also want to echo the feeling about FBI team. The way they were dressed, the way they spoke to the house IT, I thought they were the bad guys there to finish the job. I couldn't figure out the endgame though... I guess I watched too many shows like Numb3rs and Scorpion LOL

• Love 4

The pregnant woman's husband was Billy Riggins from Friday Night Lights! 

Never seen him before but he was horrible in this episode. His reaction to his wife's death bordered on nonchalant. I'd be so hysterical I wouldn't be able to speak. Someone should have taken the baby out of his arms before telling him his wife was dead too. I thought the whole thing was very poorly directed and acted.

They sure spent some money on this episode though, with all those explosions and all that water. I wonder how something like that happens when an entire neighborhood starts exploding like that. Scary. 

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

They sure spent some money on this episode though, with all those explosions and all that water. I wonder how something like that happens when an entire neighborhood starts exploding like that. Scary. 

Emergency had a similar theme during an episode where the station was patrolling. It turned out that a construction crew did not use the proper valve when using a fire hydrant for a water source and some flammable liquid backed up into the water supply. I think this time they said something about the main gas  natural gas line breaking.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Never seen him before but he was horrible in this episode. His reaction to his wife's death bordered on nonchalant. I'd be so hysterical I wouldn't be able to speak. Someone should have taken the baby out of his arms before telling him his wife was dead too. I thought the whole thing was very poorly directed and acted.

I assumed this was modeled after the real-life incident that happened a few months ago near Boston, when a natural gas utility over-pressurized the gas line and houses were exploding all over a certain area. One person died and several were injured.

massachusetts-explosions-fires-gas-pipeline-

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Texasmom1970 said:

I know this is a stupid thing to nitpick about but how is Maddie so familiar with the streets. On the whiteboard she quickly corrected them how to go to the pregnant woman; just curious.

The Rookie did the same thing a night later with a new to LA rookie cop who I think was working outside of his fictional division area.

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, Texasmom1970 said:

I know this is a stupid thing to nitpick about but how is Maddie so familiar with the streets. On the whiteboard she quickly corrected them how to go to the pregnant woman; just curious.

There was actually an earlier episode where she made the same mistake. So she knew because she learned.

• Love 8
10 hours ago, Texasmom1970 said:

Exactly what I was thinking.  The rookie sure knows her way around...Los Angeles!  9-1-1 at it's far-fetched finest, lol.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, starri said:

I didn't understand why they had to make do with the paper maps.  I mean, even if their computers were down, they probably all have phones with Google Maps.

It is getting harder to write in this modern marvel world. I  bet someone used their phone on the show but as head canon perhaps the FBI jammed them to prevent the terrorists or computer system kidnapper from further access.

On 4/16/2019 at 11:01 AM, Rap541 said:

Bobby did get his kids killed by irresponsibly getting drunk and setting an entire building on fire.

I can not get over this and I still don't get how starting a fire that killed NUMEROUS people didn't get him any jail time.  I really wish the writers had not made this Bobby's back story.  Maybe an accidental fire in a single family home ok...but I can never forget that Bobby killed people and therefore just eyeball whenever he tries to be heroic.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, mostlylurking said:

I can not get over this and I still don't get how starting a fire that killed NUMEROUS people didn't get him any jail time.  I really wish the writers had not made this Bobby's back story.  Maybe an accidental fire in a single family home ok...but I can never forget that Bobby killed people and therefore just eyeball whenever he tries to be heroic.

This is how I feel, too.  I know the show has tried to remake Bobby's image but it's just not working for me, which is why I think his relationship with Athena is just a big load of crap.   Frankly, it just doesn't seem like something Athena would do.  I could understand if she somehow understood his pain and remorse and wanted to be his friend, but I cannot for the life of me understand why she would want him as a lover, prospective husband and, most importantly, around her kids.  Sure, he's supposedly not drinking anymore, but what if he has some crisis, relapses and gets drunk, and manages to burn her house down with her kids in it?  

So basically, I can't stand to look at his face when he's on screen. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, starri said:

I didn't understand why they had to make do with the paper maps.  I mean, even if their computers were down, they probably all have phones with Google Maps.

As someone who lived in Los Angeles in the 70s and 80s, I have fond memories of the Thomas guides that everyone had. You could tell someone which page you were on and they'd find you. So that brought back memories. 

I just started watching 911 in season 2, and I've been thinking I should go back and watch season 1. But it looks like my opinion of Bobby will go down if I do. I don't even care so much about that, except that his relationship with Athena is my favorite part of the show.