Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E13: Kelly's Story

• Start Topic

Kelly is on the verge of immobility when she decides to make the trip to Houston to visit Dr. Now. Her journey gets off to a painful start when her long travel day grows longer as Kelly gets stuck in a cab on her way from the clinic to the hospital.  

So the clinic put her in a cab that she got stuck in?  Will she do a 600-pounder slow roll to get out or will the jaws of life be needed?  Let's see how she gets out of this predicament and figure out why she's being sent to the hospital, since we know it's not because she was qualified for weight loss surgery day one. 

This is the regular episode thread.  It will unlock after the US East Coast showing.

Original air date 2019.03.27  

• Love 2

That was sad. I liked her. She had some bad spots but we didn't see her lying about it, and in the end she seemed to be headed in a hopeful direction.

On a lighter note, I finally caught a glimpse of Dr. Now's blinged-out stethoscope everybody keeps talking about.

• Useful 1
  • Love 14
1 minute ago, Kid said:

I have to say that after what just happened to Kelly, this is Mila bitch is getting on my nerves.

As best I can recall, Milla never did walk.   I have forgotten about what happened with Charity in the follow-up so I may have to FF thru it.  I just can't with Milla.

And after seeing Kelly's episode, I am going to emotionally eat some ice cream.   

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

For some reason at the beginning of the show I felt she was going to die.   I figured at 9:45 she was in the clear.

I felt terrible for her from the start of the show, as she was really alone, the abuse and the rest.    The sadness on her face was heartbreaking.

She never really had a life, so shame on her so called parents and family.

Yet she was putting herself thru school and there was an intelligent person inside her.

I hope she experienced a little happiness and hope before she died. She deserved so much more.

• Love 23

RIP Kelly, you fought hard.😞

6 minutes ago, Cherrio said:

For some reason at the beginning of the show I felt she was going to die.   I figured at 9:45 she was in the clear.

I felt terrible for her from the start of the show, as she was really alone, the abuse and the rest.    The sadness on her face was heartbreaking.

She never really had a life, so shame on her so called parents and family.

Yet she was putting herself thru school and there was an intelligent person inside her.

I hope she experienced a little happiness and hope before she died. She deserved so much more.

I felt the same way, she was alone at the beginning. I'm glad her cousin was there for her 

• Love 14
Just now, Miracle Maxie said:

I was wondering during the episode if the reason that the voiceover sounded more animated than usual is that it wasn’t done by Kelly. I wouldn’t put that sort of thing past TLC. 

In one of the voiceover bits she was actually sitting on the bed talking to the camera, and another point in the car she seemed to be talking to the camera rather than her friend who was driving. Usually the voiceovers seem like they're just reading off a page off screen. 

• Love 6
  •  I was rooting for Kelly from the start to escape her sad, lonely and unhealthy life. My husband and I were high fiving each other every time the scale showed a successful weight loss. How very sad to hear of her sudden death. May that gentle lady rest in peace.
  • Love 16

My concerns about her cardiac capabilities began when I saw her climbing up the stairs at her apartment. Very sad nevertheless. Grateful for this community to be here whilst experiencing something so sad. Thanks and good nite.

• Love 13
Just now, shouldbedancing said:

Sigh. I got to the end and I was impressed. I was like, wow Kelly turned this around. Then... the next moment she's dead. So sad. I feel really bad for Dr. Now because he worked his butt off for her. He knew she was thisclose to death and now I really understand that when he says that, he's not playing. He did everything in his power to turn this around for her. He must feel a sense of failure when this happens. Even though he was his same stoic self at the end, I could tell that he felt deeply about her death. Rest in peace, Kelly.

I am sure he feels sadness and failure, even as she knows she is not the first and not the last to die in his care.  That's the unfortunate part of working in healthcare.  Sometimes your patients die.  I admire people who choose to work in hospice care, where everyone dies. 

• Love 23
Just now, Johnny Dollar said:

Dr. Now doesn’t exactly wear his heart on his sleeve, 

That's why I like it so much when you can tell he really likes a patient.

5 minutes ago, ShortyMac said:

Where Are They Now? My guide is showing that it's new.

Yeah, it says Season 7 Episode 14. Kelly was episode 13. I can't stay up till midnight to watch, though. 

• Love 6

Ads for stupid weight loss supplements right after this show feel downright unethical.   I think most of them ARE unethical.  I just don't remember any of the food supplement regulations, but I am sorely tempted to pull out the law and send a complaint to the FCC if they did something wrong.  Pity FCC is not like FDA regarding ad enforcement actions.

• Love 13
16 minutes ago, steff13 said:

I'm very sad about Kelly.  😭  I thought she was going to turn it around.  

Well, she did, but her heart already had a great deal of damage.

I didn't see that coming. She seemed happier and she was planning her future, and I was excited for her to be going back to school, finishing her degree.

I thought I was sad after the Jeanne episode, but this is awful. She seemed to have so much going for her.

• Love 7

I don't think the above comments were making fun of Kelly's death.  More like they were making fun of Lola, whose solution to everyone's problems seems to be "write a letter to your dad."

I went off and did other things before the episode ended, thinking Kelly was in the clear.  I'm bummed now.  I really wanted her to be able to turn things around.  Maybe that was why she had such a flat affect; she really was at death's doorl

• Useful 4
  • Love 13

I don’t think Kelly was living with Gary when she died. I saw an obituary that said she was a resident of NJ. The funeral and burial were also in NJ. At the end when they showed the MedicalExaminer blurb, did it say Houston Medical Examiner?

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
Just now, Deevee45 said:

I don’t think Kelly was living with Gary when she died. I saw an obituary that said she was a resident of NJ. The funeral and burial were also in NJ. At the end when they showed the MedicalExaminer blurb, did it say Houston Medical Examiner?

I thought it said Houston, but I deleted it already and can't check.

• Love 3

Earlier in the episode Dr.Now mentioned something about Kelly possibly needing a pacemaker/defibrillator (aka a ICD) in the future. When she was stuck in the cab he even mentioned something about her going into cardiac arrest if they didn't get her out of there. I can't help but wonder if she had gotten the ICD she may still be here. I don't know the exact circumstances of her death, if she was alone, if it happened in her sleep, if she didn't get help (cpr) soon enough or if it was a cardiac arrest or what, but if she had the ICD it would have shocked or paced her into a normal rhythm, if that was the case.

This episode hit home for me because I had a cardiac arrest. I had pneumonia and the virus attacked my heart, that was their explanation for my arrest. At the time they also diagnosed me with congestive heart failure. BTW, I weighed 250 in the hospital and was 45. But I was lucky, my husband was there and performed cpr until the emts arrived and they shocked me into a more normal rhythm. I spend nearly a munt in the hospital and got an ICD implanted before I left. That was 5+1/2 years ago and knock on wood I haven't had to use my ICD, it's there just in case.

I feel so bad for Kelly, this wasn't the outcome I was hoping for. I'm not crazy about this season, not enough snarkable material. Kelly's episode and the one with the the family in the messy house with the father that died were just sad, sad shows.

• Love 22

Happy you are still here with us!!!

As for Kelly, not sure, but I just took a cursory glance at an article and it states there is lower mortality rate for ICD implants in obese patients.

Hope this helps.

ETA: So looks like she indeed passed away in Texas and was laid to rest in NJ.  A sad note...she passed away the day before her birthday:(

Edited by Oh My.
  • Love 4

Pounders,

1 - This is Kelly's thread. Please talk about Milla and Charity in their thread.

2 - Do not criticize other posters for their comments.  We snark and/or discuss people on TV. We do not snark each other.  If you don't like what someone has to say and their comment is not against forum rules, ignore it.

It was a rough episode; let's be careful out there! (And in here.) 

• Love 4

I have been just  beside myself. I had to call my son and cry to him. He hates this show, but I made him just be quiet and let me tell him about this woman. I think he was surprised I was so upset.  Shoot, I'm surprised I'm so upset. None of us is promised tomorrow, but that said, I was hoping Kelly would go on to have a nice life and finish her degree. She missed out on so much, for so long. It's just all very sad. 

• Love 13

First of all, I said I'd do it! (photo)

Anyways, I was NOT expecting that ending. That's really too too bad. 😞 Also I liked Gary at first but had to kind of side-eye him after he "threw" Kelly out (as she said). I know we don't know what all happened there, maybe she went a little crazy on everyone in the household. Just another reminder of how we're only shown a fraction of the reality.

crow600.jpg

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8

I almost wonder if Gary didn't "throw her out" so she could get admitted to the rehab center.  Insurance often won't help if you can head home.  He and his wife may not have felt they were capable of giving Kelly the level of care she needed post surgery.  Being in a rehab center Kelly also got on site physical therapy. 

• Useful 6
  • Love 17

Still up and still feeling so sad and mad about Kelly's outcome.  I actually re-watched it. I have so much more to say about this episode but will wait until later in the day for that.

One thing that occurred to me is I wonder if Dr. Now had something to do with Gary allowing her to move back? After seeing how hard he tried to save her life and how much he seemed to really like her, I wouldn't be surprised if he placed a call to Gary and said how close to death Kelly was and that she just could not take the stress of trying to find a place to live as well as all that goes along with moving into a new place. One thing though, for whatever reason he did, I bet that Gary is glad he let her come back since I could not imagine how guilty he would feel if she had died alone in some low rent apartment or in a cheap motel room.

• Useful 2
  • Love 16
44 minutes ago, Bronx Babe said:

I'm confused -- isn't congestive heart failure basically a death sentence?  How did Kelly pass all those medical tests to qualify for weight loss surgery?   

It can be treated.  I have family members who lived for years after suffering CHF including various surgeries.  The tests are possibly a judgement of how well the heart is functioning and how likely it is to hold up through the stresses of surgery. In Kelly’s case the excess weight might have been even more dangerous than the WLS.  I am still feeling terribly sad, Kelly actually had hope for a future.  She and LB are the two deaths that I really feel awful about.

• Useful 1
  • Love 14