Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E07: A Bachelor No More

• Start Topic

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 9:32 AM, Barb23 said:

I know we discussed this on the first go round of the wedding but I'd like to tell the minister that I did not think of my son's future spouse before he was even born, when I was expecting him. Maybe that's why he is single at 29.

Jackson looks exactly like JB especially on the TH's when he had his hair parted on the side and combed over.

Didn't like the drone at all. They seem to forget that it is a church sanctuary, a house of God & not the fellowship hall.  

Not really a big fan of any of the "gotcha" stunts pulled at these weddings.

• Love 9
On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 3:08 PM, Evagirl said:

Did they show Jill and Derek or have they been banned like Josh & spouse?  Anybody know?

I thought I caught a glimpse of Derek. It's such a shame that TLC has bowed to the PeeCee gods and won't show the whole Duggar family, especially during these big family events.

I think the comments Derick made about Jazz were only part of the equation. He was also bitching about TLC not paying the bill for Izzy's delivery and he let the cat out of the bag that the kiddults weren't being paid directly for appearing on the show (which Austin later confirmed). I think TPTB didn't want another loose cannon on their hands in the wake of Joshgates, so they cut the Dullards loose.

• Useful 2
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

He was also bitching about TLC not paying the bill for Izzy's delivery and he let the cat out of the bag that the kiddults weren't being paid directly for appearing on the show (which Austin later confirmed). 

I totally missed all that.  What was said exactly by Austin?

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

I totally missed all that.  What was said exactly by Austin?

Austin said they do the show as part of their "ministry" and don't get paid for appearances. Derick also said they did the show as "volunteers." I have no proof of this, but my instincts tell me Jeremy and Jinger are the only ones who have a separate contract, mainly because he isn't stupid enough to work for free. I think everything else goes into the Duggar LLC and Boob doles out allowances as he sees fit. Again, pure speculation, but given his controlling nature and the fact that the kiddults are firmly glued to the compound, not an unreasonable assumption.

• Love 18
(edited)
49 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Austin said they do the show as part of their "ministry" and don't get paid for appearances. Derick also said they did the show as "volunteers." I have no proof of this, but my instincts tell me Jeremy and Jinger are the only ones who have a separate contract, mainly because he isn't stupid enough to work for free. I think everything else goes into the Duggar LLC and Boob doles out allowances as he sees fit. Again, pure speculation, but given his controlling nature and the fact that the kiddults are firmly glued to the compound, not an unreasonable assumption.

Well no wonder why Austin doesn’t look too happy being on the show, I’d be pissed if I wasn’t getting paid. I’m sure JB does give them cash but come on these couples need a proper contract not have to go begging to JB for money they earned. 

Edited by Puffin
  • Love 13
4 hours ago, Puffin said:

Well no wonder why Austin doesn’t look too happy being on the show, I’d be pissed if I wasn’t getting paid. I’m sure JB does give them cash but come on these couples need a proper contract not have to go begging to JB for money they earned. 

So should  all of the kids over 18. Jana should have her own contract and should have had her own contract since day 1 since she was 18 in 2008.

• Love 5

Sometimes, in olden days, people had 10 kids and only a small percentage of them actually survived to adulthood.  For instance, they had 10 kids and 4 survived to become adults.

• Love 3
(edited)
31 minutes ago, Temperance said:

So should  all of the kids over 18. Jana should have her own contract and should have had her own contract since day 1 since she was 18 in 2008.

And if this stuff about the contracts is true, then this is yet another way that I see TLC colluding with Jim Bob to the kids' detriment.

I'm sure the network has always seen it as a much better and easier deal to have to negotiate over any show with as few people as possible. Less hassle and more chance that the sole negotiator would never be quite as conscious of how much the other individuals should rightfully earn.

Seldom would a single negotiator in a situation like this fight as hard to get good deals for everybody -- Since these are HIS kids, he's more likely to just conceive of the money pot as HIS.  And that'd be especially true of someone like Jim Bob who doesn't see his kids as full humans, in my opinion. When he looks at them he just sees HIS personal gametes grown large, and wearing secondhand shoes.

So TLC would like the single-contract deal. And for JB it's just more POWER concentration into his hands and more leverage over his pitiful offspring. So TLC, once again, has long collaborated in the abuse of Duggarlings, if you ask me.  

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 12
4 hours ago, Puffin said:

I have absolutely no sympathy for Austin or Derrick.  They are adults and signed some sort of contract or release to be shown on the show.   He made a choice to not get paid and to cede control to someone probably JB.  

• Love 16
(edited)
11 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I have absolutely no sympathy for Austin or Derrick.  They are adults and signed some sort of contract or release to be shown on the show.   He made a choice to not get paid and to cede control to someone probably JB.  

Well, when Der signed the contract he was probably still thinking of JB as his mentor and prayer partner, idiotic as it ever was to envision slimy grifty JB as anything of the kind! Der bought the Duggar TeeVee hype completely at the beginning. He believed that his wife was educated enough at the SOTDRT to become a full-fledged SBC missionary and a midwife. And he signed a contract while in that intoxicated state. Too soon old and too late smart, as they say. 

And with Austin, it may have happened because his dad was wildly eager to start using Joy and company as the marketing plan for the camp. And, being one of the world's strictest parents, convinced Austin to sign whatever was put in front of him since the camp'll be his one day. And Austin grew up in the same brainwashing environment as the Duggars, making him easily snare-able by the two dads, no doubt. No wonder he never smiles with his eyes. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 13
5 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Well, when Der signed the contract he was probably still thinking of JB as his mentor and prayer partner, idiotic as it ever was to envision slimy grifty JB as anything of the kind! Der bought the Duggar TeeVee hype completely at the beginning. He believed that his wife was educated enough at the SOTDRT to become a full-fledged SBC missionary and a midwife. And he signed a contract while in that intoxicated state. Too soon old and too late smart, as they say. 

And with Austin, it may have happened because his dad was wildly eager to start using Joy and company as the marketing plan for the camp. And, being one of the world's strictest parents, convinced Austin to sign whatever was put in front of him since the camp'll be his one day. And Austin grew up in the same brainwashing environment as the Duggars, making him easily snare-able by the two dads, no doubt. No wonder he never smiles with his eyes. 

Buyer beware time folks!!!

5 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I think everything else goes into the Duggar LLC and Boob doles out allowances as he sees fit.

And I'll bet that when the kids' checks are sent to him, he helps himself to a hefty "management fee" a la Kris Kardashian.

• Love 16
2 hours ago, Temperance said:

It REALLY gets under my skin when the Duggar robot-children lavish praise and thanks on their parents.  "Thanks for all you've done for us," shows up way too often in their social media posts. Besides conceiving and giving birth to them, Ma and Pa did very little for those kids.

However, the kids have given Ma and Pa a lifestyle most of us can only dream about.  The ONLY reason this family is on television and rolling in money and privilege is because they have all of those children.  Ma and Pa should be thanking the children, because that's who has been bringing in the viewers, and therefore the money, since day one of the television show.

I believe it's accurate that JB takes in all the TV money and doles it out as he sees fit.  One of these days, one or more of the offspring are going to realize that Ma and Pa exploited them both as children and adults, and when that happens, it could get real ugly real fast.  Particularly if the money is dwindling and everyone realizes that Ma and Pa not only exploited them, but neglected their educations so that they have no way to earn a living if they aren't TV stars.

• Love 19
16 minutes ago, MonicaM said:

It REALLY gets under my skin when the Duggar robot-children lavish praise and thanks on their parents.  "Thanks for all you've done for us," shows up way too often in their social media posts. Besides conceiving and giving birth to them, Ma and Pa did very little for those kids.

However, the kids have given Ma and Pa a lifestyle most of us can only dream about.  The ONLY reason this family is on television and rolling in money and privilege is because they have all of those children.  Ma and Pa should be thanking the children, because that's who has been bringing in the viewers, and therefore the money, since day one of the television show.

I believe it's accurate that JB takes in all the TV money and doles it out as he sees fit.  One of these days, one or more of the offspring are going to realize that Ma and Pa exploited them both as children and adults, and when that happens, it could get real ugly real fast.  Particularly if the money is dwindling and everyone realizes that Ma and Pa not only exploited them, but neglected their educations so that they have no way to earn a living if they aren't TV stars.

They should be thanking the children. But, as we know -- good luck with that! JB and M are a vortex of self-centeredness, I think.

I hope some of the kids will eventually see the light and get mad. I hope to see a bust up coming from that one day. 

Unfortunately, though, I've seen the kind of brainwashing I believe JB and M practice warp people -- bias them wildly against themselves and for the cruel jerks who brainwashed them -- for life. And not just stupid people, either. In some cases when they get you at birth and keep it up forever, you just can't really escape believing that they're as great as they say and that they've actually been your benefactors all along, appearances to the contrary. 

In my family, I've seen people -- smart people -- that I thought had seen the light....that had seen the light at some level.....keep backsliding over and over into "Oh, but she/he had good qualities! She/he didn't mean x, y, z...... It was just me....I'm being unfair..." Etc. And since I care for these people, and know them not to be stupid, at all, I know it's damn brainwashing and, in the case of my own family members, I've had my heart broken by their sad backsliding over and over again. You can destroy a child's ability -- for life -- to judge you accurately as the asshole you are. Even in a family full of intelligent people, you can make them your damn grateful slaves -- even if they sometimes see the facts and get angry. Because they've wired your damn brain from the time it had that newborn ultra-plasticity. 

And since, frankly, I think Duggars are, on average, way dumber than my family -- and also considerably more sheltered, since, despite isolating us socially, my family believed in people getting training and education so we could all work for a living -- I wonder if any of the Duggarlings will ever be capable of actually grasping the truth you've described, even temporarily. They sure haven't shown any real signs of it at this point. .... 

My hope is that if the damn TeeVee show ever fucking ends so that the money -- and intoxicating fame -- really dwindle, it'll knock some of them out of their total thank-you-godly-mama-and-daddy comas. I think it probably will, to some extent anyway, but it's going to be too late to make a whole lot of difference in many of their lives, even if it happened.......And many of them, at least, will keep backsliding into the "thank you" mode as long as they live, I imagine. 

So world-class shitheads JB and M will get to enjoy the unearned gratitude forever. At least a lot of the time. Cause that's how people function in a household that dysfunctional, as far as I know. 

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

My hope is that if the damn TeeVee show ever fucking ends so that the money -- and intoxicating fame -- really dwindle, it'll knock some of them out of their total thank-you-godly-mama-and-daddy comas. I think it probably will, to some extent anyway, but it's going to be too late to make a whole lot of difference in many of their lives, even if it happened.......And many of them, at least, will keep backsliding into the "thank you" mode as long as they live, I imagine. 

Oh, just wait until (likely) several of these families are starving, in the gutter, with umpteen million kids and Momma-and-Daddy can't and won't help them out financially, or with cars/mold houses/braces/etc. I think that'll be the only day of reckoning. Jim Bob and Michelle will never give up date night or their lifestyles for something as unimportant as their own children

I think Josh and Jill will always have some form of support, being the favorites, and Jessa will try to muscle her way in (good luck!), but help any of the others? nah. The buddy system will be brought back.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, JoanArc said:

Oh, just wait until (likely) several of these families are starving, in the gutter, with umpteen million kids and Momma-and-Daddy can't and won't help them out financially, or with cars/mold houses/braces/etc. I think that'll be the only day of reckoning. Jim Bob and Michelle will never give up date night or their lifestyles for something as unimportant as their own children

I think Josh and Jill will always have some form of support, being the favorites, and Jessa will try to muscle her way in (good luck!), but help any of the others? nah. The buddy system will be brought back.

Unfortunately so. Yet many of them will still sometimes slide back into the "thank you" mode. I've seen it. After all, it'll be the fault of the terrible TeeVee network that the money was lost. Not the fault of faultless godly mama and daddy. They won't think that every day. They'll be painfully ambivalent and confused. But they've been hardwired to worship those two ghouls and for at least some of them they won't be able to completely quit it. Such is the sad fate of the Duggarlings. 19 Kids! indeed. 

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

Wouldn't it be a kick in the pants to the kids if JB & Michelle left all of their money to IBLP when they pass?  

JB and Michelle's estate plan is probably really interesting.  I highly doubt that the estate will be divided evenly up for all 19 kids whenever both have passed away.  Will they leave it all to Josh as the eldest son with the idea that he will care for his siblings especially any unmarried sisters?  Does JB keep a ledger with the total money he has given each individual kid through the years?  Will he give a child less than others because he has given them more during his lifetime?  Will there be any money leftover when both have passed?  

• Love 11
11 hours ago, JoanArc said:

Agreed. They'll probably dole out the occasional pittance to a selected few kids at a time. They'll want to keep the kids thinking that if they just keep demonstrating a servant's heart kissing Daddy's ass, he'll always take care of them. Tossing a few dollars around here and there will make sure that the kids don't get fed up enough to ruin JB and Michelle's image by writing a Duggar Dearest tell-all book.

• Love 9

I think a large percentage of their estates will go to their religious organizations. JB and Michelle will be worried about their souls in the hear after for all eternity. Those kids had better be prepared to take care of themselves.

• Love 1

It's hard for any human, intelligent or not, to truly see their loved one's faults. Many reasons interfere with grasping a clear picture including love, indebtedness, DNA, pride, survival and many more. 

To complicate it even more what one person sees as a fault or weakness another person sees a virtue or strength. What some see as abuse, isolation and indoctrination others see as discipline, protection and faith.  

There's a lot of truth in the expression, 'you don't know what you don't know'. As of yet I don't think any of the Duggar 19 have a reason to think their parents are anything but wonderful. And for the ones who are parents, they can now elevate themselves onto this invented pedestal of sacrifice they all seem to admire.

• Love 15
(edited)
On 4/5/2019 at 7:29 PM, Westiepeach said:

If one of them writes an honest tell all book, that will be the goldmine. I’m sure people will pay money to find out all the behind the scenes crap. 

It would. But I have to say I'd be absolutely stunned if it ever happened, though. 

Not only were those kids assiduously wired to believe in the "invented pedestal of sacrifice" @GeeGolly mentioned, but with so many of them and such a public reputation involved, including the kids' own, plus the fact that they've also been wired to believe this is all about Jesus (which would probably haunt them with guilt throughout the writing), there's a mighty mighty wall of silence there. 

And, you know, books don't pay you that much. I know a book of theirs would sell, but even now their celebrity's gradually fading and by the time a book ever got out it will have slipped even farther .... And who knows if all the leghumpers would even buy it? A lot of them are angry at the state of California for potentially being a threatening environment for Jingle, so they might be angry at the person who wrote the traitorous -- and surely false! -- tell-all, too. 

The writer would have to pay a ghostwriter, too, of course. So would earning maybe several hundred thousand dollars (at the high end, most likely, and before taxes) be enough of a temptation? Especially since you might well turn most of your large family against you? And you'd have some of them hounding you to share the money, too? 

After all, even the blockbuster writers only get really rich because they sell book after book after book after book after book. This'd be a one-shot. And whether any one-shot (or first) book by an author will sell well -- let alone sell very well -- is one small bet in a casino that's rigged for the house, for the most part. 

It'd be hard for any but the older ones to tell the whole story, too, of course. The younger ones don't know the early days. And the younger ones aren't nearly as well known. So to me the pool of candidates to write a book that people would believe really has the goods is fairly limited, also. And at this point I have a hard time seeing any of the older ones actually becoming aware enough -- and angry enough -- to commit this treason.

I'll be shocked if it happens. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I sure wonder what all the kidults' teeth would look like today if JB hadn't gotten rich off TLC.  I'm guessing most mega families are struggling for money and cosmetic orthodontia would not be possible.  I've worked with plenty of people whose parents did not provide them with braces and it took until their 30's, 40's, and even 50's til they could afford to fix their crooked teeth.

Comparing Jana's perfect, bleached, and straightened teeth to Laura's made me see the difference.  And Laura has perfectly nice teeth.  But not like the Duggars.

If JB and Michelle had 19 kids and still lived on craft rice and doorstep droppings, those kids would have all had unlovely smiles.  Like Josie does now, although I'm sure she will soon be braced and bleached as well.

• Love 8
On 3/31/2019 at 1:24 PM, Aunt Catfish said:

That first kiss almost rocked my world!  Didn't know old John David had it in him. 

Gotta love the brother who said,"Geez, get a hotel room already."

I felt sorry for Abbie when she said she thought she'd never get married because "nobody was coming around."  Now granted she's not Miss America but she's not bag-over-the-head either.  She seems very sweet with a sense of humor.  Certainly somebody besides JD must have noticed her.

• Love 6
(edited)
7 minutes ago, Angeltoes said:

I felt sorry for Abbie when she said she thought she'd never get married because "nobody was coming around."  Now granted she's not Miss America but she's not bag-over-the-head either.  She seems very sweet with a sense of humor.  Certainly somebody besides JD must have noticed her.

Her father probably was probably hoping the right son from the right family would have came along. *cough Duggars cough* JB did not want to give up JD yet.

Edited by bigskygirl
On 4/4/2019 at 12:23 PM, B in Lee said:

I thought I caught a glimpse of Derek. It's such a shame that TLC has bowed to the PeeCee gods and won't show the whole Duggar family, especially during these big family events.

yeah - I would love to know how law school is going ... I saw on SM that Jill tagged along with him to a class/study session... something like that... would love to see Jill's face while a discussion on something like "torts"or  "criminal law" took place. 🍿

• Love 3
On 4/8/2019 at 5:56 PM, Angeltoes said:

the same can be said about Jana too - "somebody should have noticed her by now".

partially the same can be said about Michella Bates - she noticed her hubby for a while before he noticed her. I think she was about 25 when she got engaged.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 3
On 4/4/2019 at 9:23 AM, B in Lee said:

Interesting take.  

• LOL 1
On 4/8/2019 at 4:56 PM, Angeltoes said:

Plenty of mainstream women think that too (in their late 20s). Sometimes you just don’t meet anyone that’s “marriage material” when your peers are getting married. It happens to the prettiest and most accomplished of women in the “real world”. 

On 4/11/2019 at 4:38 PM, lookeyloo said:

They are just prettier.  They have the same awful beliefs.

Yeah. They are also less wealthy so they let their kids work out of necessity. 

• Love 3
On 4/12/2019 at 12:49 PM, BrianJ1962 said:

Will any Duggar (Or for that matter any Bates) truely break away from their families? With that many people odds are someone will break free.

Yes odds are someone will. Likely it will be one of the younger ones. 

• Love 2