Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E07: A Bachelor No More

• Start Topic

Austin works at the family rootin’ tootin’ Gimme that Old Timey Religion church camp so he gets income from that seasonal job.

Austoon is the heir apparent and expected to take over when Daddy retires but not for a long while....

Joy probably works at  Fort Fundy Funtime during the busiest season....

Austoon fully expects her to be a worker and not slugs like Jess and Jilly.

• Love 17
17 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I'd say Austin is the only one who truly supports his family independently.

Jeremy does his pastor thing, but their lifestyle is heavily subsidized by TLC money. Take that away and they're back in that shitty apartment with the bars on the windows. 

Everyone else putters around for Boob.

I blame it on being mild hypothyroid and the cold and snow, but I had a totally different thought when I read the last sentence. Heading to the Prayer Closet.

4 hours ago, truebluesmoky said:

I did like that Jana full front hugged JD by the plane. 

I noticed that too and it made me smile. The affection between the two is real. Not every brother of hers is a perv like Josh. 

2 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Austin works at the family rootin’ tootin’ Gimme that Old Timey Religion church camp so he gets income from that seasonal job.

Austoon is the heir apparent and expected to take over when Daddy retires but not for a long while....

I give Joy credit, she is a worker. 

• Love 19
19 hours ago, debbie311 said:

I thought the same thing!  And some of her bridesmaids were her sisters - they NEVER saw the dress?  Oh well, I guess just a little bit of added drama ...

On 3/27/2019 at 1:21 PM, Barb23 said:

Does anyone else think it's weird she said "After getting in my wedding dress, I DECIDED to reveal it to my bridesmaids."  Like showing the bridesmaids was an afterthought or she was up in air about letting them see her at all but then she "decided" to show them. How were the bridesmaids not going to see her in her gown before the ceremony?  Sounds like that line was TLC written but I think it was a stupid choice of words. 

Ack, my quotes are backwards!!!  I just thought she meant she would reveal reveal how she looked in the dress with her hair and makeup done for the wedding.   I think she did have minor alterations done after they had their little version of "say yes to the dress."   I thought maybe some of the bridesmaids were dressing in another room.  

• Love 1

Why is it crazy or unexpected when a heterosexual couple in their 20s with two children conceived again?!! Not as if they are 40 and have not had children after two decades of marriage. 

How does Kendra have a baby itch when she just had a baby?

• Love 11
8 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Why is it crazy or unexpected when a heterosexual couple in their 20s with two children conceived again?!! Not as if they are 40 and have not had children after two decades of marriage. 

Because that’s all she has. She doesn’t go to school, have a job, or have a husband that has a job. Her main role in life is to have as many children possible for God’s army. That’s it. 

Oh, and I guess to keep sweet and joyfully available.

• Love 12

Baby Carrot’s thought bubble....

Mommy, as soon as I get 2 teeth that make contact, I am going to chomp down on your nipple like it is in the jaws of a bear trap....no new baby is going to replace me yet.....

Edited by humbleopinion
  • LOL 6
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

She knows she will be pregnant again and probably soon, because they don't believe in contraception. 

• Love 1
On 3/26/2019 at 11:11 PM, awaken said:

Why did they forego the first look?  I’m curious. 

On 3/27/2019 at 8:30 AM, Twopper said:

I am thinking they went with the tradition of bride and groom not seeing each other before the wedding?

They arrived at the church together that day to get ready for the wedding, and Abbie said not doing a first look was her idea - she’s big into anticipation and wanted the build-up to her and John seeing each other, her in her dress, with the music as she started down the aisle.

On 3/27/2019 at 9:53 PM, OpieTaylor said:

I figure Lauren gets faint at sight of blood combined with devastation when she realized she was having a miscarriage = basket case

Yeah, I’m thinking those factors plus whatever harsh hormonal drops/changes and some electrolyte issues/dehydration/lack of caloric intake from (very understandable) total lack of appetite, nausea, GI issues, lack of sleep, increased blood pressure (mine runs low and I feel just fine at 85/55 but dizzy and shakey at 115/75, let alone higher), etc. Some of which can speed up the resting heart rate for some (me) and cause some (totally benign but not great feeling) palpitations that easily lead to dizziness and near-fainting as well. All kinds of things were probably off, and her system is likely sensitive to it, but...it wasn’t due to massive blood loss, because they’d have gotten her to a hospital, and they certainly would have mentioned *that*. But she’s only 19 and assuming it was from “all the blood” is common enough without a doctor to have told her what it actually was. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Edited by WalrusGirl
ETA two clarifying words to my first sentence
  • Love 4

Also, Jeremy continues to make me like him. The vacuuming, and his relaying is this turn of events when asked and concern re the vacuum marks, and “wrong emotion, wrong emotion!” bouncing Felicity when she started to cry after Ben and Jessa told them they were expecting.

(I’m not sure if that phrasing is coming naturally because I’ve just seen too much of this crap or because I would and will never refer to THEM as pregnant. “We’re pregnant” / “Ben and Jessa are pregnant” just doesn’t work for me at. all. 😛)

Also thoroughly enjoyed Austin’s politic assessment of the first kiss (or was it re “sugar muffin” in Abbie’s vows? Probably both. “...Well that’s - unique.” 🤣) in his and Joy’s talking head, Joy’s reaction, Ben’s commentary, TLC’s choice of score as everyone waited for and made their entrances (“Faith Restored,” Anthony Dominic, Jake Schillingford, & Nicholas Evans), and how Abbie and her dad interacted as they waited to make their entrance - seemed NORMAL and natural. (Of course, the whole “transfer” of her to John David promptly took care of my warm and fuzzies, but wasn’t exactly unexpected. And didn’t catch any explicit “obey”s in the vows (she’ll follow where he leads, and he’ll lead, as I recall, but “following” feels quite a bit more voluntary than “obey”...), so there was that.) And that TLC wasn’t there filming Ben and Jessa’s telling Jinger and Jeremy; it was Ben filming on his phone, and Jing in leggings and Jeremy in what could have easily been PJ loungewear hanging at the Seawalds’. And Jana’s genuine interactions and goodbye with both Abbie and John.

Edited by WalrusGirl
Correction: it was “sugar muffin,” not “sugar bear.” Either way, I was with Austin on that one.
  • Love 10

In as much Lauren is trying to be the designate Drama Queen wringing every drop sympathy from the viewing audience, she seems to be the brains of the couple with 2 actual brain cells rubbing together.....to quote Jilly.....yay.

• LOL 3

I thought it was funny when JD & Abbie were making the candles &Jenny said that Mechelle liked the Laundry scent, she has it in her car.  I'm thinking she meant one of those Yankee Candle air fresheners but anyway when has Mechelle been near clean laundry enough  to like the scent? 

• LOL 16
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Barb23 said:

I thought it was funny when JD & Abbie were making the candles &Jenny said that Mechelle liked the Laundry scent, she has it in her car.  I'm thinking she meant one of those Yankee Candle air fresheners but anyway when has Mechelle been near clean laundry enough  to like the scent? 

too funny . I like that scent too, in small doses.  Maybe when the laundry lady came and Michelle had clean laundry to put on?  Or did the lady only do the kids clothes?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Barb23 said:

Maybe that's the explanation. While most of us find it quite familiar, she finds it rare and exotic....and thus worthy of being a perfume....

Like that Yves Saint Laurent fragrance Black Opium...or that perfume called "Sinner."  ;  )  🤣

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 5
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Barb23 said:

It's aspirational. Like how people buy treadmills and wind up using them to hang clothes on. 

• LOL 10
  • Love 5

Chelle must have taken a whiff of laundry smell off her MIL when Mother Duggar used to spend all day cooped up in the laundry room being the wash lady for the Dugg herd.....

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 6

*blushing* I love the smell of clean laundry when the machine exhaust leaks out onto the street/hallway, myself.  It in fact makes me a trifle giddy with the aura of spring.  The side entrance to my dormitory building senior year of college was right next to the laundry room, and that was a rare treat as someone was almost always doing laundry. 

Sometimes if you come upon me passing by a laundry room, you can see me just standing still huffing it rapturously on the breeze, lol. 

Also, we have a couple NYC YMCA's, with pools at basement/street level that perfume the area with chlorine; walking by these, too, always gives me a little visceral giddiness thinking about summer.

• LOL 4
  • Love 16
12 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

They didn't say during the episode, but they went to Finland. Obviously not in that plane.

I think the Finland trip was later ( and filmed). Their trip immediately  after the ceremony was not filmed and still not disclosed. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

I think the Finland trip was later ( and filmed). Their trip immediately  after the ceremony was not filmed and still not disclosed. 

So, has the Finland trip footage been aired yet? Or is that going to be part of the next season? If they keep this lag-time thing going, JB* JD and Abbie's first kid will be walking by the time Counting On airs their pregnancy announcement. 

*EDITED TO ADD: This was a typo. Maybe one of the most awful typos of my whole life. 🤢  Except maybe that time I kept leaving the "L" out of "Public Works." 🤣 . Tip of my hat to @Oldernowiser for alerting me to it.

Edited by Jeeves
  • LOL 8
  • Love 3
34 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Tell me this is a typo. Please. Begging here.

Although nothing would surprise me at this point...

OMG - YES, it's a typo. AARGH!!

I've fixed it. Thanks.

• LOL 3

Just watched this episode yesterday.  That first kiss almost rocked my world!  Didn't know old John David had it in him.  I'm guessing their first night was pretty awesome.  Then I saw his parents do that reenactment.  I would rather be in a morgue witnessing an autopsy on a bloated swamp corpse than have that image in my mind.  That was so creepy and inappropriate.......arrrrgggghhhhhh..

• LOL 14
  • Love 8
On 3/27/2019 at 12:29 PM, graefin said:

She was in the first month or two of pregnancy. Is it even possible to bleed so heavily you feel faint? Wouldn't it be (at most) like a heavy period?

Sure seems like Josiah picked someone who reminded him of his mom (in the narcissism department). 🙄

My daughter had a miscarriage at 10 weeks. She bled so much that it looked like someone was murdered in the bathroom. We took her to the emergency room. They asked her to walk to the exam room (because they couldn’t find a wheelchair) and she fainted after a few steps. She was given 3 pints of blood, a d&c, and spent 3 days in the hospital.

Later, she had another miscarriage at about 9 weeks and that one was more like a heavy period. She still was taken to the ER and had a d&c but only spent that one night in the hospital.

• Love 1
(edited)

I remember I watched this episode but it was so boring I think my brain blanked it out, what I do remember is Joy saying she wanted another baby! I hope she was just saying that because seriously they need a home first and no the RV is not a home. How about they build a home for themselves and actually live in it not sell it. Austin, pregnant Joy, Gideon, then two children eventually, living in the RV outside a building site what a great idea I'm sure nothing will go wrong there. I hope Joy is watching her cycle so she doesn't reproduce again, I doubt it though, these people are idiots. Also if she gets pregnant again she better go to the hospital, unless she has a death wish. 

Also JD & Abbie's kiss was still as icky as I remember that was just too much should've saved it for the bedroom, then the producers got the couples to reenact it including JB & Michelle! WTF! No one wanted to see that ever. 

Edited by Puffin
  • Love 4

I don't think Lauren ever saw a qualified physician OR that quack, Dr. Fedoski. I would think she should have been checked out and treated by a qualified OB/GYN. If this is true, I hope she hasn't impeded her ability to conceive and carry to term with no issues.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Lauren was no more than 6 weeks pregnant, probably less.  The gestational sac would be about the size of a small grape.  When a woman is miscarrying, her cervix dilates to pass the tissue an blood clots.  Obviously, it doesn't need to dilate much at 6 weeks, the entire sac would've been no more than an inch and a half in diameter, probably less.  During the miscarriage, the body releases prostaglandins which cause the uterus to contract to push the contents out and cause cramping.  They can also cause cold sweats, nausea, diarrhea.  They are released in bursts and the effects come and go.  Some women can also experience something called a vasovagal episode when the cervix is dilated whether by a blood clot, a pregnancy or even doing a pap smear or biopsy.  This is a nerve reflex which causes the blood pressure to drop and the woman can faint, get lightheaded, nauseated, etc.  It just lasts a couple minutes.

The average young woman has about 5 liters of blood in her body and would need to lose somewhere around a third of it very rapidly before she might become dizzy and pass out.  So, Lauren would've needed to lose almost a 2 liter bottle's worth of pure blood before she would be symptomatic.  It is doubtful that she lost that much at less than 6 weeks, it just doesn't happen.  After 8 weeks, the placental attachment has changed and the pregnancy tends to not pass in one piece.  So, the woman passes part of the tissue, but some is left behind which triggers continued heavy bleeding and can lead to significant blood loss and shock.

In other words, Lauren wasn't anemic or shocky, she was just emotional and perhaps copying behavior she had seen in other women who miscarried.  When I went to college, one of my room mates would moan and groan for the first several days of her period.  She'd skip class and lie in bed with a hot water bottle and a cup of tea for days.  Finally, she'd get up, tell us all how weak and fragile she felt; and go back to class.  Then, she'd do it all again the next month.  Her mother happened to visit during her period one month and behaved as though her daughter needed admission to the ICU for menstrual cramps.  She tended to her at her bedside, bringing her aspirin and heating pads, all the while telling us how terrible it was that every single woman in their family suffered such pain and discomfort every month.  Her daughter was just like her and her sisters and her mother....  In other words, it is learned behavior.

Thank you!  

1 hour ago, floridamom said:

I don't think Lauren ever saw a qualified physician OR that quack, Dr. Fedoski. I would think she should have been checked out and treated by a qualified OB/GYN. If this is true, I hope she hasn't impeded her ability to conceive and carry to term with no issues.

Exactly. IF she was convinced it was so serious, she should have seen a doctor, period.

• Love 5

@frenchtoast, can you online this thread? They repeated the episode last Friday morning, but I don't see it on the schedule in the foreseeable future. 

Time again to pick apart Duggar social media and speculate on who will be knocked up next. 😁

• Love 1
On 3/28/2019 at 9:29 AM, humbleopinion said:

Despite the sarcasm, sounds like Austin and Joy live a productive life?.?  Despite the horror show of their separate upbringings?

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

@frenchtoast, can you online this thread? They repeated the episode last Friday morning, but I don't see it on the schedule in the foreseeable future. 

Time again to pick apart Duggar social media and speculate on who will be knocked up next. 😁

I was waiting the week....and it is now a week. I think you meant unpin. I can't online anything. Autocorrect is once again causing as many problems as possible. (I find it hilarious that autocorrect is apparently spelled wrong. I don't care, I'm leaving it as one word.)

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, fonfereksglen said:

Despite the sarcasm, sounds like Austin and Joy live a productive life?.?  Despite the horror show of their separate upbringings?

One kid way too young, with another likely on the way, no home of their own, living in a trailer, counting on house flips to live on. No education or other career prospects. Really living the dream.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, JoanArc said:

One kid way too young, with another likely on the way, no home of their own, living in a trailer, counting on house flips to live on. No education or other career prospects. Really living the dream.

I am not defending the Duggars, but our ancestors had a lot less and big families and the majority of the time they managed to survive. Of course, our ancestors were a lot smarter than all the Duggars put together. The Duggar ancestors are probably rolling over in their graves at the way the family name is being dragged through the mud.

7 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

I am not defending the Duggars, but our ancestors had a lot less and big families and the majority of the time they managed to survive. Of course, our ancestors were a lot smarter than all the Duggars put together. The Duggar ancestors are probably rolling over in their graves at the way the family name is being dragged through the mud.

I think JB and M imagine they've raised their kids to be the kind of can-do, self-sufficient survivors that people had to be before we developed so much automation and technology. 

But in a contemporary industrial society, you don't strictly need most of the knowledge, skills and effort that people have needed everywhere (for most of history) and still need in many places today. 

And, of course, if you give your kids no modern education in science or culture -- since you don't believe in those things -- and then put your kids on "reality tv" where they all earn money simply for being idiotsyou've basically removed any motivation they might have to exert much energy or thought in any cause. For most of them, at least. I keep hoping that some Duggarling somewhere is seeing the light and deciding to live differently. But with the amount of suckling on TLC's teat that's going on, that seems highly unlikely. For the older ones, at least. 

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

I think JB and M imagine they've raised their kids to be the kind of can-do, self-sufficient survivors that people had to be before we developed so much automation and technology.

And still somehow produce 19 phone zombies. Lazy, too boot (though maybe not so much for Joy).

• Love 6
(edited)
4 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

And still somehow produce 19 phone zombies. Lazy, too boot (though maybe not so much for Joy).

Like I said, if you give your kids no real education at all and then put them on tv where they all earn money for being idiots, those phone zombies are what you're going to get. 

And it does seem possible to me that Joy may be a bit of an exception. Her work with Austin, even her little clothing ads with the horse -- there are a few little sparks in things she's done that give me some hope that there may be a bit of energy and imagination brewing in there. More than I've seen with the others..... I hate to say it, though, for fear of jinxing it. 

Just now, Churchhoney said:
Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 8
9 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Like I said, if you give your kids no real education at all and then put them on tv where they all earn money for being idiots, those phone zombies are what you're going to get. 

Oh, we're both united in the idea that the show has/is ruiningthem, and MUST END.

• Love 7
54 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

And it does seem possible to me that Joy may be a bit of an exception. Her work with Austin, even her little clothing ads with the horse -- there are a few little sparks in things she's done that give me some hope that there may be a bit of energy and imagination brewing in there. More than I've seen with the others..... I hate to say it, though, for fear of jinxing it. 

Joy was also the only person who admitted she questioned her faith. Sobfor all her dimwittedness, she’s got more critical thinking skills than the others.

• Love 18
7 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

But in a contemporary industrial society, you don't strictly need most of the knowledge, skills and effort that people have needed everywhere (for most of history) and still need in many places today. 

And, of course, if you give your kids no modern education in science or culture -- since you don't believe in those things -- and then put your kids on "reality tv" where they all earn money simply for being idiotsyou've basically removed any motivation they might have to exert much energy or thought in any cause. For most of them, at least. I keep hoping that some Duggarling somewhere is seeing the light and deciding to live differently. But with the amount of suckling on TLC's teat that's going on, that seems highly unlikely. For the older ones, at least. 

Science or no science I'd still put my money on Laura Ingalls' little sister before any Duggar female as well as on Willie Olsen before a Duggar male. 

Could you imagine Jessa with cloth diapers or Josiah tending the crops?

JB and M really do have inaccurate pictures of who their children are and what they're capable of. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 7