Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E01 : Auditions (1)

• Start Topic

(edited)

Jesus, Nick's story. That poor family. My heart goes out to them. 

I also felt for Kai with her story. I've been in her situation to some degree, and very much understand her attitude about just kind of getting used to that life. I'm glad she's getting a chance to achieve her dreams. 

Also on a happier note, Myra was super impressive, and I really liked Laci and Tiffanne as well. 

Mystical death metal (or whatever the heck he called it) and that super hyper girl were....something. Hopefully that girl can take it down a few dozen notches as she moves to the next round(s). 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 2
(edited)

I found this unwatchable and shut it off. It is just over. The singers are generic and boring and the backstories are interesting but it was not enough to hold my interest. I will not be watching again until finale night. I am not interested in the journey. It is time for this show to go away. 

Plus, what was most annoying aspect was the filmed format. In previous seasons, it was on a taped format, so the show appeared to be broadcast live. Now it looks like a filmed movie. Is that format less expensive? 

Edited by DakotaLavender
  • Love 7

That was fun.

I love Myra Tran already.

I really miss the way Idol used to show bad auditions. I noticed since the reboot, they don't do that anymore.  They only have one per episode, like the Screamo guy today.

11 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Mystical death metal (or whatever the heck he called it) and that super hyper girl were....something. Hopefully that girl can take it down a few dozen notches as she moves to the next round(s). 

That girl was pretty unbearable for me.

• Love 3
(edited)

With the back stories, commercials, annoying judges' antics, etc., there's only time for 2-3 contestants per half hour.  I forwarded through all the non-singing parts, and so far, no one stands out. 

I think a lot of people don't even bother to audition anymore.  I've heard so many stories of the show selecting mediocre singers over great singers because they had the certain "look." 

They've lost what made the show great in the beginning:  having an unpolished awkward amateur grow into a polished performer.  Now, (on both ABC currently and the last few years of the show on Fox), they put people through who have had recording contracts, done TV, etc.  The show has lost its innocence.        

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Love 12
31 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

With the back stories, commercials, annoying judges' antics, etc., there's only time for 2-3 contestants per half hour.  I forwarded through all the non-singing parts, and so far, no one stands out. 

I think a lot of people don't even bother to audition anymore.  I've heard so many stories of the show selecting mediocre singers over great singers because they had the certain "look." 

They've lost what made the show great in the beginning:  having an unpolished awkward amateur grow into a polished performer.  Now, (on both ABC currently and the last few years of the show on Fox), they put people through who have had recording contracts, done TV, etc.  The show has lost its innocence.        

This show has never been innocent.  They've always had people who have had recording contracts.

I hate sob stories.  Just sing. Also not big on Nick's falsetto.

Walker Burroughs was really good, I loved his innocence.  Tyler the country guy was also really good, as were the Vietnamese girl and Tiffane.  The black girl they spent a lot of time with who was a nervous wreck was just generic, as was the first country girl.  I actually liked the guy who didn't know any Lionel music, as well as the screamo guy.  Not Idol material, but still entertaining.

• Love 2

This show has never been innocent.  They've always had people who have had recording contracts.

No, not in the early years, like Season 1 through 5 and maybe a bit beyond.  They maybe had experience singing in church, in school or local productions, etc., but I can't recall any of them having recording contracts.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

I actually liked the guy who didn't know any Lionel music

I loved the bit right before a commercial where Tiffanne met up with that guy and showed him her Lionel Ritchie album :D. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Gemma Violet said:

No, not in the early years, like Season 1 through 5 and maybe a bit beyond.  They maybe had experience singing in church, in school or local productions, etc., but I can't recall any of them having recording contracts.

Kelly Clarkson was offered deals with Jive and Interscope records, but turned them down because she didn't want to sing the kinds of music they were offering her.  She worked as an extra in Hollywood.  She made a demo with Gerry Goffin.

• Love 3

The show started ok and ended with a good story and singer but some of the middle was annoying to watch. Margie the jumpy girl with the Dr. Dad and the the screaming guy back to back was almost a half hour of unwatchable. I hope it is a better show in a few days. 

• Love 3

I can barely tolerate Lionel Richie and Katie Perry and Luke Bryant are unbelievably annoying. I hate the sob stories - JUST SING. I got so snarky watching this crap fest I couldn’t stand myself so I turned it off and read a good book. Will follow this column for updates. 

• Love 2

I was shocked they put jumpy girl through without anyone talking to her about her "act," which it was.   Not cute. 

8 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Kelly Clarkson was offered deals with Jive and Interscope records, but turned them down because she didn't want to sing the kinds of music they were offering her.  She worked as an extra in Hollywood.  She made a demo with Gerry Goffin.

I didn't know this.  Thank you.  

• Love 1

I didn't find anyone very compelling, but it was watchable. I went back and looked at last season's first audition thread, and we had already met Katie Turner and Maddie Poppe that night. I really doubt there's a top 10 singer in this first group. 

Tear jerkers- watching Kai was very uncomfortable, poor thing. She wasn't any good, either.  And Nick- that was Danny Gokey levels of exploitation, imo. He was also, at best, a very ordinary singer.

Sorry to see them making Lionel look foolish, although honestly, the only one of his songs that seems to have survived the decades is actually 'Hello'! (Hard to believe that it was 10 YEARS ago almost to the day that David Cook sang 'Hello' on Top 16 S7)

• Love 3

It's the antics between the judges that I feel makes it near unwatchable. It just doesn't feel genuine. Feels completely fake and scripted ( although I did like KP calling out the singer to name a Lionel Richie song). Never felt that way with previous judging panels.

• Love 2

I don't like this format where they skip around between different audition cities.  I liked when they did the different locations one at a time.  There's no story or continuity with this format, and it makes the show look even more artificial than it already is.

I also don't like the amount of time spent on the judges' antics (especially Katy).  Katy seems like a nice person when she's being herself, but when she turns up the fake wackiness, it's annoying.  I realize they might need to put in some comic relief every now and then, but they're sacrificing too much singing time in my opinion.

• Love 8

I found this to be painful and came so close to turning it off... but I'm a sucker for torture. I agree with those above who have pointed out the judges "antics" as being ridiculous and taking up way too much time. It feels more like "The Katy Perry Hour" with guests Lionel Ritchie and some mumbling country guy than it does AI. What was with the idiotic reaction to the Screamo guy? Why did 2/3 of the judges feel like they had to hide? Why did they act like he was trying to poison them with his gift? That guy was way less scary to me than that fake, overly excited, burping girl. Yes, he was Screamo, but he actually had a sense of humor about it and he was pretty good (if that's your kind of thing). I hate this focus on the judges.

As for the "singers"... well other than Myra, the Vietnamese girl, I found them all to be mediocre to boring to bad. I felt horrible for the last guy, but his backstory took up so much time and then he didn't even have a particularly compelling voice and had (to me) no stage presence. Sorry for what happen to your brothers, but you may leave my screen anytime now. I don't pick my top 10 based on sob stories.  I really wanted to like the Preacher (or whatever he was) who wanted to open the church up to bi/gay kids, but his voice was just OK. Maybe he'll get better.

All in all, I may have to ditch this show if the focus continues to be on the judges AND they offer not a drop of constructive criticism AND they seem to always agree with each other (any disagreement last night seemed to be in "fun"), leading to what used to be interesting/informative discussions among the judges. If this is just run-of-the-mill singers with sob stories.. well, I guess that is what AI has been for a while now, right? 

• Love 4

I still absolutely hate Katy Perry.  

Hyper girl was awful.   

I like to hear the back stories, to a point.  But when it's such a heart breaker like  Nick's it's too much for me.  That is unbearable.  But it's his story, so it's his to share if and how he wants.   But this show will make the most of it, for their ratings.  And that is the part that sickens me.  I hope he does well.  He was certainly good enough to make it through, especially when compared with some of the others who made it.  But I do not want to hear about his family's heartbreak every time he sings.  

I didn't see every audition.  I don't know how long the auditions go on.  This was a long episode to watch.  I wanted to watch the kid from Nebraska, because that's where I am from,  and I"m sorry I had to sit through the entire show to get to him.  

• Love 4

It's been reported that Katy Perry is paid $25M.  Luke (and Ryan) $12M, Lionel $10M.

No judge is worth $25M.  ABC could have used at least half of that money towards the production of the show.

And it's ridiculous that they fired Michael Orland - after 16 years.

• Love 5

I don't like this format where they skip around between different audition cities.

That's what's getting me.  It's not the worst change, but it's another step backwards, along with the 90% backstory format. 

I don't want to get invested in singers I can't vote for, so I'm probably out until the voting rounds.  I might try to see the best auditions later, but for now I'll live with Ryan Seacrest's descriptions:  "Will it be Dave 'No Cheese' the country rock singer, or Sarah 'Solo Barbershop Quartet' the rock country singer?  Tune in  to find out."

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Bucket said:

I was shocked they put jumpy girl through without anyone talking to her about her "act," which it was.   Not cute. 

I didn't know this.  Thank you.  

I think she may have actually had Tourette's.  A lot of those actions and sounds looked like tics.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 3/3/2019 at 10:08 PM, DakotaLavender said:

Plus, what was most annoying aspect was the filmed format. In previous seasons, it was on a taped format, so the show appeared to be broadcast live. Now it looks like a filmed movie. Is that format less expensive? 

I think it's more that different networks and different stations filter their video differently.  When I was a kid, everything on the local ABC affiliate had an orange cast to it; Three's Company looked completely different in syndication on a different station that was bluer.  Film is definitely not cheaper, in fact it's getting harder to source as even movies are being shot on digital, so less celluloid is produced.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, paul4295 said:

I don't like this format where they skip around between different audition cities.  I liked when they did the different locations one at a time.  There's no story or continuity with this format, and it makes the show look even more artificial than it already is.

This. I kept wondering why the guy from south was trying out in New York City and why other people were trying out in cities either far from their homes or not at auditions that would be held closer to their homes. And then I just  gave up thinking about it.

I thought several of the contestants were just okay and not even okay enough to go to Hollywood, but then I figured they are probably saving the best ones to introduce to us later and after all, a lot of people go to Hollywood (and have an amazing experience) and then go home. I wish they wouldn't tell anyone that he or she could be top 10 or win the whole thing. It's just not right to say that to or about anyone this early in the game, especially when it's the judges talking.

• Love 2
(edited)

They showed too much in the teasers, which annoyed me. If they've already shown who got a golden ticket, then why should I bother with watching the auditions?

Hyper girl was annoying, as was screamer guy, but the judges reaction to the screamer was over the top and ridiculous. They could have just listened politely and then said that AI is not the right place for him, IMO.

Does anyone else think that Nick looks kind of like Johnny Depp, or is it just me? I feel bad for him, but I didn't think his voice was that great, especially for how much they were promoting him.

I agree with a previous poster that I kind of miss seeing some bad auditions. Again, if you know that pretty much everyone that they show is going to make it through, then what's the point of watching?

I don't think Kai should have made it. That was a pity vote.

There were too many unanimous judges' decisions(especially where they were all like "you're going to Hollywood" as soon as the person finished singing, without any discussion)-there's no suspense anymore where you see one yes vote, one no vote, and then you're waiting to see what the third judge says, but that's just me being nit-picky.

Edited by marykat71702
  • Love 2
(edited)

“It's been reported that Katy Perry is paid $25M.  Luke (and Ryan) $12M, Lionel $10M.”

Seriously?  They should dock about 20 mill of Katy’s salary for the annoyance factor alone.  My least favorite, by far, of these judges.  Does she ever give it a rest?  I didn’t think anyone could bug me more than Lopez, but, lo, there’s a new champion.

Lionel, no disrespect, but these are young kids so give them a break for not knowing you or your music.  It’s not personal.  Lighten up.

Poor Kai.  She seemed so sweet and vulnerable.  But there’s no way she should go to Hollywood.  In the old days they’d have told her she wasn’t ready and to try again next year.    

Edited by limecoke
  • Love 4
On 3/4/2019 at 12:09 PM, sempervivum said:

I didn't find anyone very compelling, but it was watchable. I went back and looked at last season's first audition thread, and we had already met Katie Turner and Maddie Poppe that night. I really doubt there's a top 10 singer in this first group. 

The pre-taped portion of the show has already cut down to a T14. There will be 5 audition shows and each one will feature 2-3 of those T14. Obviously, no spoilers in this thread, but at least some of those singers will be making it very far.

On 3/6/2019 at 5:13 PM, limecoke said:

Lionel, no disrespect, but these are young kids so give them a break for not knowing you or your music.  It’s not personal.  Lighten up.

Well, when I was younger, I knew singers from the previous generation, so there is that.

• Love 1

Just catching up on watching this show now. Good lord, this show is awful!  If this was what AI started out as in season1, there never would have been a season 2. This is dreadful.

The judges are over-acting, and over-praising mediocre contestants.  

• Love 1