Type keyword(s) to search

The Baby-Sitters Club - General Discussion

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

They definitely look younger than most high school shows, but that's likely because those are played by 25-year-olds.

Yeah, that really screws with me trying to figure out how old the actors are.

1 hour ago, idiotwaltz said:

I liked the Kishi’s taking off their shoes as soon as they got home

The show does a nice job with little details like that.

1 hour ago, idiotwaltz said:

Once Watson adopt Kristy and her brothers, they become legally his children, which makes me wonder if they would become beneficiaries to the Brewer family trust funds, etc. 

Depends on how that stuff is written.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, idiotwaltz said:

and I liked the Kishi’s taking off their shoes as soon as they got home. 

As someone who is Canadian, we do that anyway so I didn't note that as such a big thing!

Just finished Season 2. I didn't even notice the change of actresses for Dawn -- I thought she was fine, especially her big fight scenes with Mary-Anne. Claudia is still my favourite (she always was) and I definitely got choked up during Mimi's episode. I liked the plot twist of Janine and Ashley being a couple. I also loved the Mimi stories were right out of the books, such as the biker bar pizza and the ambulance chaser -- though in the books, the ambulance went to Claudia's Uncle Russ and Aunt Peaches' house instead.

I got the vibe that Season 2's stories weren't as tight to the titles as they were in Season 1 which I think is fine since they're not moving in the same chronological order. Stacey's Emergency was hardly an emergency for example, and the baby parade was also very different to the books. The Mary-Anne/Logan pairing has also grown on me since Season 1; they do seem to have better chemistry now. I have to remind myself that they're teenagers, not adults playing teenagers (cough Riverdale) so they're in that awkward, fumbling phase in their real romantic lives in addition to on-screen.

The adults continue to entertain me as well, even if Watson is still a bit of a doof who tries too hard. 

• Love 5
16 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I read an interview with the executive producer, and she said she was thinking she could get one more season in before the actors got too old, unless she was allowed to age them. It sounded like she didn't know if she'd want to do that. She also said she really wanted to do Little Miss Stoneybrook and Dawn, but couldn't due to COVID restrictions. It was her favorite book.

I hope they don't age them, that would be too weird.

I'm so disappointed we didn't get that book.  My feeling is since we ended with Kristy and the Baby Parade (book #45 in the series) they probably won't go backwards in the order.  Especially if season 3 ends up being the last because the girls get too old, they may really jump ahead.  Some of the older books seemed to have more serious themes that they could explore and go out on a high note of sorts.  I still hope we get a mystery.  They weren't as extravagant as the Super Specials so it'd probably be easier to film. 

I also loved the Mimi stories were right out of the books, such as the biker bar pizza and the ambulance chaser -- though in the books, the ambulance went to Claudia's Uncle Russ and Aunt Peaches' house instead.

I had forgotten about those but I'm glad they kept them in.  I think in the books, too, didn't they go to a taco place instead of a biker bar?  

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

had forgotten about those but I'm glad they kept them in.  I think in the books, too, didn't they go to a taco place instead of a biker bar?  

It's been over 2 decades since I read them so it's possible haha! I do remember "BEST JAPANESE FOOD EVER!" was the punchline.

Edit: According to the BSC wiki, they went to a pizza place.

Edited by Valerie
  • LOL 3

So the fact that they played the original theme song at the end of season 2 brought such a smile to may face. I grew up with the HBO/Disney series and that song brings back such memories. Nice touch.

I thought season 2 was really good. It's nice to see wholesome entertainment where they show teens who are still kids -- not every teenager is popping molly in the bathroom and twerking on their own live cam!

The actresses are all fantastic - although the actresses who play Kristy and Claudia really have star quality. I can def. see them booking future roles. Claudia wasn't one of my favorites in the books but I love the actresses take on - she has a subtle self confidence that's really refreshing. The previous Claudia's [movie, and disney] always had the artsy part down but they didn't quite have her confidence. Although, in the books, Claudia was much more ashamed of her grades.

I can't remember one Mallory storyline - or much about her from the other versions, so I liked that they made the character pop. Also, Janine's storyline was interesting. I think it would be sort of predictable if Kristy was the one who came out. I had a childhood friend who played softball, was a tomboy at 13.... and has bee married to her husband for 10 years.  Liking those things shouldn't be reflections on your sexuality.

My one main critique with the season would be race. I thought there were several missed opportunities with Dawn, Mary Anne, and Jessie which were particularly glaring because of how well executed Claudia's storylines were. I don't believe Dawn would call Kristy's mom Liz. Culturally, she certainly wouldn't. Many of Jessie's books were about her being black - so I'm not saying they had to take that root. But does Mary Anne have any black friends? I feel like 13/8th grade is when things like this come to the forefront. It would have been interesting of her to enjoy her time with Jessie's family. Because the way they've written it Mary Anne hasn't just lost her mom - she's lost her black mother.

There was one book where a family refused to let Jessie babysit and they were rude to Claudia and it was the first time she experienced racism. I remember it being bad but they could have updated it or done something to address the issue.

• Love 9
6 minutes ago, Miss Slay said:

So the fact that they played the original theme song at the end of season 2 brought such a smile to may face. I grew up with the HBO/Disney series and that song brings back such memories. Nice touch.

Me too.  I did a double take when I heard that.  I really loved the original series and wish it had lasted longer.  That's how I started picturing the girls in the books whenever I'd read them.  

6 minutes ago, Miss Slay said:

There was one book where a family refused to let Jessie babysit and they were rude to Claudia and it was the first time she experienced racism. I remember it being bad but they could have updated it or done something to address the issue.

That was Keep Out Claudia, and that was one of the books I was wondering if they will explore in season 3.  And in the books, it was just Jessi and Claudia, but now they have Mary-Anne and Dawn who are non-white.  

• Love 3
4 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

I'm so disappointed we didn't get that book.  My feeling is since we ended with Kristy and the Baby Parade (book #45 in the series) they probably won't go backwards in the order.  Especially if season 3 ends up being the last because the girls get too old, they may really jump ahead.  Some of the older books seemed to have more serious themes that they could explore and go out on a high note of sorts.  I still hope we get a mystery.  They weren't as extravagant as the Super Specials so it'd probably be easier to film. 

I had forgotten about those but I'm glad they kept them in.  I think in the books, too, didn't they go to a taco place instead of a biker bar?  

From the interview it sounded like the plan is to do it if restrictions lighten up and they can make it work logistically. They have already gone backwards because Stacey's Emergency was episode 3 of the season, and that was book 43.

• Love 4

If I can't have the Island Adventure as a season-ending two-parter, then Little Miss Stoneybrook is an acceptable alternative.

I liked Watson's made up fact about the hobbits and his "No, you didn't! Because I made it up!!!" The easy conversation and jokes at that dinner is a nice contrast to the quiet, stiff family breakfast in the beginning of the season. I can see Patrick Thomas signing away his parental rights especially if Liz agrees not to pursue any back child support she may be owed.  

• Love 3

I actually like that they call the parents by their first names, because that's what me and my friends all did at that age. I don't remember it ever being a thing either. Maybe we all had younger moms who really didn't want to be called "Mrs" or something. Or maybe it had to do with the fact that all our parents were divorced, so our single moms especially didn't want to be called by their last names. I don't know, like I said, I can't really remember, but I know it wasn't ever a thing in my life, with all my friends throughout school. I don't remember a single parent ever introducing themselves to me as "Mr" or "Mrs" anything, it was always just their first name.

In fact, I was so used to that, that when I would read the opposite in a book or see it in a movie or something, I'd think, isn't that really formal? Do people actually call adults (other than teachers) by that mr. or mrs combination? 

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 5
Just now, ruby24 said:

Do people actually call adults (other than teachers) by that mr. or mrs combination? 

Yes! I called all of my friends' parents Mr. and Mrs. My friends' kids call me by my first name, and I'm fine with it, but they called my mom Mrs. 

Some people prefer formality, and that's their prerogative.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, ruby24 said:

I actually like that they call the parents by their first names, because that's what me and my friends all did at that age.

Same. I always called my friends parents by their first name and my friends always called my parents by their first name. No one seemed to care lol. I don't think it's somehow disrespectful to do that at all. It's just a personal preference thing.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Mirabelle said:

The only weirdness for me was being told years later that since I was now an adult I could call them by their first name. 

Same! Especially for adults I'd know forever. It was a hard habit to break. I still sometimes say Mrs. X instead of Judy.

• Love 2

What throws me off is that they call her Liz.  Not a huge deal, but in the books she was always called Elizabeth, so it took a little getting used to.  Some of these minor details throw me off more than the bigger stuff they've changed lol

From the interview it sounded like the plan is to do it if restrictions lighten up and they can make it work logistically. They have already gone backwards because Stacey's Emergency was episode 3 of the season, and that was book 43.

I just wonder if they will go backwards again after ending with book #45.  They did the whole Richard/Sharon storyline, it's unlikely we're getting Emily Michelle, I think Mallory will be as much of a non character here as she was in the book, and we have foreshadowing to Stacey's parents getting divorced.  It's clear they aren't having Stacey move back to NYC, and then return to Stoneybrook, so that seems to cover a lot that went on during the books prior to Kristy and the Baby Parade.  I hope I'm wrong, though, because there are some I was hoping to see covered and especially see how they changed it up for the modern times.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1

I enjoyed this season, particularly the later episodes, it would nice if they get 1 more season. Obviously compared to last season, the episode titles in most cases were a lot looser adaptation, but also noticed they seemed to be taking influence from the series as a whole. Such as Mary Anne setting up the alarm at Dawn's house is like her bugler alarms from "Claudia and the Phantom Phone Calls" Mary Anne and Logan's relationship seemed to take things from "Logan Likes Mary Anne" and "Mary Anne vs Logan" (MA missing friends due to relationship) and Mallory not wanting to be charity case comes from"Poor Mallory".

Interesting that they wanted to "Little Miss Stoneybrook and Dawn" I wonder what other plans were changed because of Covid. We did get 2 less episodes than last season, and in 1st episode I thought they were building up some Kristy/Jessi conflict that didn't go anywhere.

Thoughts on the first few episodes:

Kristy and the Snobs - The Louie stuff was sad, glad it happened off screen, Kristy struggling to fit in and Liz also having issues with Delaneys was good. Shannon as resue pup was good. No teen Shannon, and awkward more than snobby Amanda was missed, feel it didn't give Kristy as much conflict as the book.

Claudia and the New Girl - totally different from the book, would have been nice to see Ashley bond more with Claudia overall though I'm fine with the changes with Ashley as a minor character, but I kind of wish they just made this a "Hello, Mallory" episode instead, it was interesting to see how Claudia felt about Mal's over-enthusiasm, but as it was Mal focused it would have been nice just to have her narrate an episode

Stacey's Emergency - I liked Stacey as the overachiever, I was expecting her to collapse on stage so the "emergency" was a bit underwhelming (more knowledgeable people than me have already commented the inaccurate diabetes levels). Also as they brought up the McGill's arguing in later episodes, seems like missed opportunity for conflict here (blaming each other for Stacey's lapse)

Jessi and the Superbrat - this is the point where the season really picked up for me. I liked Jessi and her conflict of no longer enjoying ballet because she wasn't the best. Derek no longer a film star but personality wise seemed accurate and like him and Jessi bonding. Jessi's family were also great loved the back and forth with her mum. Also the pair up of Jessi and Mary Anne was unusual but fun. Kristy standing up for Jessi as her "manager" very funny how business like she is.

I'll post thoughts on the other episodes soon.

• Love 2

Just completed the season. Honestly, I have no really deep thoughts because the show is merely light and fun fare for me that brings back some nostalgia of 13 year old me reading those books. So overall, I enjoyed it all, though I enjoyed some episodes more than others. 

When Stacy's teacher in Stacy's Emergency asked if it was weird that she, a grown woman, had fashion envy over a 13 year old's wardrobe, I felt seen in that moment. Seriously, that was one of the weirdest parts of last season for me and it continued this season. Stacy wore so many things that I found myself going, "hmm, I could work this..." and then going, "I'm coveting a 13 year old character's wardrobe."

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

Janine as a lesbian was kind of a letdown.  I think she could have been written to be on the asexual spectrum...so I look at it that she's demisexual with homoromantic leanings.

That way Kristy could come out as bi down the line.

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

That way Kristy could come out as bi down the line.

I think that dawn’s comment that alluded to her being pansexual in MA and the Great Romance will be the representation in the BSC. 

• Love 2

Jessi and the Superbrat-Good episode I liked Jessi being bummed that she's no longer the best at her new school. But also brough up how often she ends up missing things with friends because of ballet. I really, really like they resolved it not by showing the star being bad or mean or anything like that but she was a really good dancer. Jessi was impressed by her dancing and remembered how much she loved ballet. I liked her and Derek bonding. Jessi at first wishing her parents' could be more like his dad and then end up realizing Derek's dad isn't so great. I loved him wanting to see Jessi's manager and Kristy showing up. Of course she would. I felt for Mary Anne during Jessi and Mrs. Ramsey's fight. I'd probably be doing the same thing in that scene. It liked seeing Jessi and Mary Anne hanging out together.

Mary Anne and the Great Romance-Sharon and Richard need to stop torturing the girls with big announcements that turn out not to be their engaged. Poor girls. I do like that they are taking it slow. That's good. It is a new relationship. Sharon's only been divorced last year and Richard's only stopped mourning his wife last year. The great romance turning out to be Mary Anne and Logan. Their awkwardnes was a flashback to preteen years. Not knowing how to act after starting deciding to be boyfriend and girlfriend while everyone you see seem to be doing great. Mary Anne desperate enough to double date with Richard and Sharon. I loved Richard's advice before and after that. He had notecards! I love that he told Mary Anne that he trusts her. I love Richard. The couples table at school was too much but I liked that there was a same sex couple. I do wish we had gotten the dance from Logan Likes Mary Anne. 

Dawn and the Wicked Stepsister-I do like that the Spiers and Schafers did a test run on living together. Dawn and Mary Anne end up driving each other crazy. Welcome having a sibling. But it makes sense that Dawn wouldn't say anything because she wants it to go well. I liked Mary Anne and Sharon hitting it off and having fun. Richard and Dawn not so much. Although I do think they should have bonded over how neat and clean they like everything. But the second scene with the adult coloring book was real good. It also makes sense Dawn already has a dad who's in her life and she gets along with. I loved the scene in the secret passage with Dawn and Mary Anne fighting and then talking. Mary Anne's right Dawn needs to be more upfront with her feelings. I like Dawn telling Mary Anne she can borrow her mom anytime she wants. That's great. I love the switch with Mary Anne going into the passage brave and Dawn being scared. The BSCs putting together a carnival birthday party for Claire (or was it Margo?) was really nice. Kristy makes one scary clown. It did make me wish we got an episode for Mallory.  

Major Disappointment-Discovering the secret passage. I wish they had either followed the book or come up with another fun way for Dawn or the girls to find it. Sharon just telling them about it was a big let down. 

Claudia and the Sad Goodbye-I knew this was going to be hard and it was. I felt for Claudia not wanting to be in her house because Mimi wasn't there and not wanting to deal with her feelings. I've had that feeling with pretty much all my losses. Janine getting mad at Claudia because she had to be there for her parents and didn't have anyone except Ashley. Janine's gay and Ashley's her girlfriend. I still wish they just picked a different name then Ashley Wyeth. I'm glad the family was good with it. The Kishis following the tradition that Mimi wanted. That was good. Mimi's goodbye to Claudia was heartbreaking. I did not like Karen telling Claudia about Mimi and Ben Brewer. Ah, too soon Karen. I really wish someone had said something to her after Claudia left the room. It was fine later when they were telling stories about Mimi later. I liked Mrs. Kishi's reaction to it and mentioning her own father. I liked Claudia and Mary Anne's talk. It was really good. 

Kristy and the Baby Parade-I never really liked the book version and had been disappointed that it was picked when there's so many other great books to chose from. But it was better then the book. I liked that they kept the float and design going wrong. As soon as Kristy's dad was mentioned you knew he wasn't going to show. I felt bad for Kristy. She really seemed like she didn't want to see him until the talk with about giving people chances. I liked that we had different reactions from the Thomases. It felt right. I liked Mary Anne's reaction when Kristy told her that her father was visiting. That felt so real for someone who's friends with someone who has a crappy father. I liked the Baby Parade stuff Kristy and Watson both won the baby contest. Claudia still bitter about losing. I liked that Lucy and therefore Mimi finally won. Of course Kristy's dad doesn't show up. I know Watson did the wrong thing by calling out Mr. Thomas a crappy father. But I liked it. I'd rather see Kristy and her brothers telling off their father but I'll take what I get. The friends adding to it especially Mary Anne. I love Watson deciding to adopt the Thomases kids. I always wanted that to happen in the series. Especially after the Shadow Lake super special when Watson refers to Kristy as his daughter in a letter to his relatives. Their biological father is crap but they do have a really great stepdad who loves them and is there for them. I loved Kristy telling him she loved Watson and that she got to be in the parade with her dad.

I wonder if that means they won't adopt Emily Michelle. Stacey's parents are fighting so season three should be her divorce.

59 minutes ago, Aileen said:

I think that dawn’s comment that alluded to her being pansexual in MA and the Great Romance will be the representation in the BSC. 

That's right. Dawn mentioned she didn't care about gender just that they care about the environment and have good oral hyigene.

• Love 1

My thoughts on the last few episodes:

Mary Anne and the Great Romance - MA and Richard have a great relationship loved the note-cards and the awkward double date. I liked that MA was annoyed with her friends for just assuming she'd be with her boyfriend instead of walking with them. I was glad MA and Logan decided not to be serious at the end of the episode.

Dawn's Wicked Stepsister - I love the Schafer/Spier dynamic, so this was one of my favourite episodes. MA and Sharon bonding was nice also understandable that Dawn got jealous, particularly as it seemed they were ganging up on her with a few comments, coupled with the other annoyances no wonder she blew up. But good on MA for also calling her out on bottling things up. Richard and Dawn having a little bonding moment was also nice. It's good Richard and Sharon aren't rushing things but I wouldn't mind seeing them all leaving in the same house in future episodes (though doubt we'll get that far). It's nice Mal got subplot of being uncomfortable being charity-case, gave her a bit more to do then just play the over-entusastic member, even though it didn't get much time to delve into it with 1/2 hour episode.

Claudia and the Sad Goodbye - Yep I teared up for this episode, really well done, Claudia actress did such a good job, also her avoiding emotions paired up with emotional  Mary Anne (who was close to Mimi) to finally break through was well done. I liked that it was traditional funeral arrangements and the funny stories they told while Claudia made special tea was nice.

Kristy and the Baby Parade - Loved they kept the disaster float with Mal's terrible clashing outfits. Knew Patrick was going to let them down, glad Watson and MA called him out, though I did think Watson maybe talked too long without any of the kids speaking up. Felt particularly bad for David Michael who still wanted to send photo album. It's very sweet tat Watson wants to adopt them all, nice end to the season.

• Love 1
On 10/16/2021 at 6:19 AM, LadyChatts said:

Some of the older books seemed to have more serious themes that they could explore and go out on a high note of sorts. 

Yeah, once you get to the romantic entanglements and feuding that seems to dominate books in the 60s-80s, it felt like the girls where really 15/16 and not 13 anymore.

Honestly Stacey and the Bad Girls, while a fun read, in hindsight is pretty WTF when you realize the girls are only 13 (but make a lot more sense if you think the girls are 15/16).

As to my thoughts of the series... I liked it

Kinda bummed Shannon was nowhere to be seen. Everybody still clearly hates Mallory LOL. The actress playing Jessi was fantastic.

More so then Little Miss Stoneybrook... And Down, I kinda wished Babysitters on Board would be made (a crossover with a cruise line and DisneyWorld), but I understand that ain't gonna happen in a COVID world). What can I say... the kid in me wants another trip to the Bahamas and Cinderella's Castle. :D

• Love 1
On 10/17/2021 at 1:32 AM, andromeda331 said:

I liked Mary Anne and Sharon hitting it off and having fun. Richard and Dawn not so much. Although I do think they should have bonded over how neat and clean they like everything.

The conflict over neatness I really didn't buy, just because Mary Anne doesn't remotely seem like somebody who would be messy to the point of it bothering Dawn.

• Love 2

What grade were the girls in during the first season, because they did start the season with summer and in the Stacy episode I thought it was mentioned she was in a new grade. So I wondered if TPTB were slowly aging the girls.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Misslindsey said:

What grade were the girls in during the first season, because they did start the season with summer and in the Stacy episode I thought it was mentioned she was in a new grade. So I wondered if TPTB were slowly aging the girls.

They were in 7th grade in the first season. That’s consistent with the books where the first 9 books are them in 7th grade and in 8th from book 10 until the end. 

On 10/16/2021 at 12:09 AM, Miss Slay said:

I don't know if anyone else listens to any or all of the podcasts Teen Creeps, Double Love and The Worst Bestsellers but one thing all three sets of hosts complained about is that when people of colour got represented in 80s/90s fiction the stories were always part of a Very Special Book about racism. So I do think it is a double edged sword for producers. On one hand, if you don't do that story are you ignoring the realities of life growing up as a POC in the US even now but if you do, then it's this same thing where the focus is again on the character's race in a way that it isn't when we get an episode about Kristy.

Anyway I was coming on here to post about just getting up to Jessie's episode because I really liked the theme in it about being a smaller fish in a bigger pond as you grow up practicing an art/sport or musical instrument. I can't think of many books about that kind of thing but I definitely remember having friends who had serious hobbies like a form of dance or a musical instrument and had points where they wanted to quit for various reasons. I love that Jessie's mum correctly calls her out on wanting to quit ballet for bad reasons.

I think we still (or at least in my country the UK) tell kids too much about talent and not enough about the value of working hard, persistence and having a growth mindset when it comes to skills that are not easily acquired.

I also liked that they went a different direction with the boy she was babysitting and he wasn't a brat at all, just possessed of a subtly concerning stage parent. I also love the running joke (not sure if it is intentional or not) where adults confuse these teenagers with their therapists ;-) Loved the interaction between Kristy and the kid's dad.

Edited to add: are any other grown women on here finding they cry a concerning amount at this show? And I mean every episode.

Edited by Beatriceblake
  • Love 12

This season didn't have quite the special magic of the first season, I think because they played a lot faster and looser with the adaptations and it made things a little more cluttered, but it was still a ton of fun. The actresses are all so great, I love watching a show about teenagers where they actually look and feel like teenagers and not grad students. It brings back a lot of memories of reading the books when I was a kid and hearing the theme song from the old show made my heart grow three sizes. 

Mallory definitely got the shaft, I wish that we could have gotten an episode surrounding her. Mallory can be a lot (just ask Claudia) but I always liked her when I was reading the books as a kid. I feel like they could have done a full Mallory episode instead of doing Claudia and the New Girl.

The Sad Goodbye was just as sad as I remember it being as a kid, I think they handled it really well. I think the one that most disappointed me was Stacy's big emergency, it was more like Stacy's mild inconvenience.

I really like that they mixed up pairings of the girls a bit more, like Mary Ann and Jessi, who I don't remember interacting much one on one in the books. 

I am sad that we didn't get as much of Claudia's parents this season, but at least we got more Richard, who's my favorite parent. " Who would like a drink? I brought coasters from home."

I am very much hoping for a season three!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 8

I finally watched the end of the Baby Parade episode. I'm sorry that was the last one this season because I thought it was probably the weakest writing I had seen on the show. Watson criticising Kristy's dad was one thing but I don't buy for a second that was a conversation the two adults would have had in front of all those other children from the neighbourhood and I also don't think Dawn and Mary-Anne would have lined up to tell Kristy her Dad really sucked while Kristy was visibly fighting back tears.

On the whole though, it was another good season of TV. I agree with the people who think Mallory got short-changed. Given that she had to play annoying in the episode with Claudia, I think they should have given her an episode of her own where she gets to be a bit more sympathetic.

• Love 2
On 10/15/2021 at 9:41 PM, ruby24 said:

Do people actually call adults (other than teachers) by that mr. or mrs combination? 

I do. in fact my best friends mom  - we've basically adopted each other - I still call her Mrs so and so because calling her by her first name is so weird to me. (sometimes i call her Mrs Momma LOL)

I have to say- I love the girl who played Mallory. She was just precious and i think i cracked up about everything she did/said. i do think she deserved an episode for her (as everyone else did get one). I also really liked Jessi and the Superbrat. Just give Jessi's mom a british accent and that was basically mine. (I love how the mom basically knew Jessi's whole "I wanna be a youtube star) was 100 percent pouting for not being the best and being an icicle.

i get what they were doing at the end - but i really doubt Watson (no matter how angry he was) would call out someone like that in front of all those kids. Nor would everyone just ignore the fact that Kristy was about to burst into tears and choose that moment to pile on that Kristy's dad does suck. But Karen's very not 8 year old snark, immediately followed by Watson's "KAREN!" immediately followed by Karen's very eight year old. "But it's true." cracked me up so hard.

honestly. this is just a flash back to my childhood. i don't remember most of the books (my dad heinously threw out my entire collection one day) - and I just have more of a recall for Sweet Valley high vs. this so i don't remember stories like Little Miss Storybrooke... and Dawn and the others . i do hope though even if it's a little age up they can do a few more seasons. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Daisy said:

I just have more of a recall for Sweet Valley high vs. this so i don't remember stories like Little Miss Storybrooke... and Dawn and the others . i do hope though even if it's a little age up they can do a few more seasons. 

I loved Sweet Valley as a kid and I wish we could have a TV show of that but my God those books had so many troubling subtexts and also texts (the weight/looks shaming is intense). On Reddit I like to joke that Reddit takes place in the Sweet Valley universe (lots of twins, lots of drama, lots of internalised and straight up misogyny - including an obsession with "false accusations".........

• Love 3
On 12/2/2021 at 2:32 AM, Daisy said:

I have to say- I love the girl who played Mallory. She was just precious and i think i cracked up about everything she did/said. i do think she deserved an episode for her (as everyone else did get one). I also really liked Jessi and the Superbrat. Just give Jessi's mom a british accent and that was basically mine. (I love how the mom basically knew Jessi's whole "I wanna be a youtube star) was 100 percent pouting for not being the best and being an icicle.

Mrs. Ramsey at least got a glow up in parenting. There's no way this version of Mrs. Ramsey would leave her 11-year-old daughter in charge of her young sister and literal baby brother for an entire weekend. 

• Love 4
On 10/14/2021 at 8:22 PM, ruby24 said:

I liked the change with Janine and her coming out, but I'm a little disappointed because this probably rules out making Kristy a lesbian, which I was really hoping for as a tribute to Ann Martin (ever since I found that out about her, her alter ego Kristy makes SO much sense to me looking back on these books). I was hoping they'd leave out Bart and maybe introduce Abby and have her be Kristy's love interest. Or maybe even not leave Bart out but have Kristy realize she doesn't really like him enough because Abby's the one she has real feelings for or something. 

Completely agree with you. And I had the same wish as you regarding the possible introduction of Abby. Part of me knew they wouldn't be "brave" enough to confirm a 13-year-old character as a lesbian, but I still foolishly hoped. And now that Dawn has come out as "not caring about gender," lesbian Kristy is most definitely out the window, because they're not gonna make two members of the BSC be LGBTQ. At least Bart was nowhere to be seen on the show. #smallwins

I think it would be sort of predictable if Kristy was the one who came out. I had a childhood friend who played softball, was a tomboy at 13.... and has bee married to her husband for 10 years.  Liking those things shouldn't be reflections on your sexuality.

Sure, it happens, but sometimes the sporty tomboyish girl really is a lesbian. Stereotypes don't just come out of thin air. I think it would be a lot more damaging for a 13-year-old tomboy who doesn't understand why she's not interested in boys like her friends to watch this show, see a character she finally can relate to, and then basically be told "It's OK, you will eventually like boys, too!" Most of the lesbian characters portrayed on TV these days are ultrafeminine anyway, so it's not like making Kristy a lesbian would be "overdone." JMO.

Edited by Niuxita
  • Love 4

Was hoping to get one more season out of it at least.  I figured they'd have to end it soon if they kept the same cast, because some of those girls looked noticeably older from season 1 to season 2.  But still sad to hear this news.  

• Love 5

I'm surprised they are cancelling it after two seasons but it's probably expensive to make. I can also see it falling into a weird thing where maybe it was more appealing to adults who read the books as kids, than actual kids. Also when I was that age I distinctly remember watching less and less TV aimed at children or tweens and more stuff that seemed to be aimed at older teenagers and young adults like Buffy and Dawson's Creek.

Wish they could have given them a S3 though (even if they made it a shorter season).

Edited by Beatriceblake
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

That really stinks. I really liked the series and was hoping for couple more seasons. There were so many great episodes left. Along with mysteries and super specials I was hoping they would do.

I was hoping to at least get one of the mystery books.  They were my favorite of the BSC universe, and the reason I started reading this series in the first place (Beware, Dawn! was my first ever BSC book I read).  I would have liked to have seen them cover some of the more serious books, like Keep Out Claudia or Kristy and the Worst Kid Ever.  I thought Netflix did the series justice by updating it for modern times, but keeping some of the elements of the book.  

• Love 5
51 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

I was hoping to at least get one of the mystery books.  They were my favorite of the BSC universe, and the reason I started reading this series in the first place (Beware, Dawn! was my first ever BSC book I read).  I would have liked to have seen them cover some of the more serious books, like Keep Out Claudia or Kristy and the Worst Kid Ever.  I thought Netflix did the series justice by updating it for modern times, but keeping some of the elements of the book.  

There were some really good mysteries. Beware Dawn was a good one I liked Kristy and the Missing Kid and Mallory and the Ghost Cat. I was hoping a couple super specials like Snowbound and Starring the Babysitters Club. I wish Mallory got an episode or two. Mallory on Strike or Trouble with the Twins would have been great. Or Poor Mallory.  

• Love 4
On 3/13/2022 at 10:57 PM, jewel21 said:

Between this and "Julie and the Phantoms" I'm really disappointed in Netflix. 

You read my mind. If you hadn't written this, I was going to. And they took so long to even announce that "Julie and the Phantoms" was cancelled. 

• Love 3