Type keyword(s) to search

The Baby-Sitters Club - General Discussion

• Start Topic

21 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

Not sure how accurate spoilertv is, but they are saying the show has been renewed for season 2.

It’s a good sign but they may be reading too much into that. Plenty of shows have been canceled after work begins on a new season, particularly with COVID. Netflix could be tentatively moving forward with a season 2 but waiting to commit. 

And since the girls are still growing, the window to delay the shoot isn't very large. That's the problem with child actors is they continue to grow and if your off season gets extended, then it's very weird when you start reshooting again.

Unless they plan to have the tradition of the books broken and age the girls beyond 8th grade. The whole series they only ever went from 12 to 13, from 7th grade to 8th. Unless they're planning to change that, this series won't be able to run for many seasons anyway. Which is a total shame because I love it!

• Useful 3

I finally got around to watching this and wow, what a wonderful example of adapting a book series. I have such a soft spot in my heart for these books because when I first moved to Canada when I was like 11 I pretty much collected every single one I could find in thrift stores. My old childhood bedroom would just be wall to wall BSC books so I was fairly nervous/excited about Netflix adapting it but the people behind this did such an incredible job and you can tell they have such a huge love for the source material. These girls were cast absolutely perfectly! I honestly have zero complaints regarding any of them, I especially love the TV!Dawn mostly because she might have been the least memorable for me in the books but I loved her here. And I love that the show takes her social activism seriously and doesn't turn it into a joke. This show honestly handles some of its more serious issues better than some adult shows out there. 

Also in love with how perfectly styled the girls are. So perfectly in keeping with their personalities. Obviously growing up I always wanted to have a style like Claudia's but watching the show now as an adult I realize I would be totally down with just rocking whatever Kristy is wearing. 

I really hope we get a season 2 although considering COVID and other previous show cancellations, it does slightly worry me that there's been so little news of it and the show premiered quite awhile ago. The above news does make me feel slightly better about it. Hopefully they announce renewal news soon.  

Edited by haje
  • Love 9

Any guesses on what we'll see in season two? Season one followed the first eight books kind of closely, but Mallory and Jessi are already in the series a few books early and before Stacey went back to New York. Will they follow the same books and just skip Hello Mallory? Will we get the Ghost at Dawn's house and finding the secret passage? Or maybe get one of the mystery books? 

• Love 4

It'd be cool to see them do one of the mystery books. Or one of the super specials-a vacation one would be tough to do for the foreseeable future, obviously, but maybe the one where they all get trapped during the blizzard could be fun, and a little easier to work with filming-wise. 

• Love 8
4 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Any guesses on what we'll see in season two? Season one followed the first eight books kind of closely, but Mallory and Jessi are already in the series a few books early and before Stacey went back to New York. Will they follow the same books and just skip Hello Mallory? Will we get the Ghost at Dawn's house and finding the secret passage? Or maybe get one of the mystery books? 

I assume they are going to skip Stacey moving back to New York - what's the point when she is going to be moving back within a few books? But I do think they will have Stacey's parents breaking up in Stoneybrook and Stacey having to choose which parent to live with. They can still have Hello, Mallory with Stacey there. It's been a long while since I've read Hello, Mallory (book Mallory is not a favorite) but I believe the big issue of that book was the older sitters not trusting Mallory to be responsible enough to be a sitter without going through a ridiculous series of tests.  That would tie into Mallory's through line of believing her parents treat her like a child. But I feel like the show has already covered that with Mary Anne so they could go in a different direction and have Mallory's story arc be about her trying to distinguish herself from her other siblings. She feels like the only thing people know her for is "The oldest Pike" or "one of the Pike kids".  Her triplet brothers were born when she was a year old so it's easy to establish she's been overshadowed for most of her conscious life. It's hard enough to deal with the addition of one sibling at that age but imagine having three identical baby brothers show up. 

As for Jessi, there is so much they can do with dancing and being Black and being a Black dancer. Given how the show has handled other sensitive issues, I trust Shukert & Co. to do a better job of it than the books did. 

• Love 8
7 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Rachel Skukert has talked about it some in interviews.

Season one is pretty much one-to-one with the books. Do you want to do the same thing with future seasons?

The first 10 books, which is really what the first season is based on, are very canonical. It's also where a lot of the things that carry through the entire series — through all 131 books or whatever there are — it's where a lot of it gets set up. Kristy's mom getting remarried and Kristy moving across town to Watson's house. Dawn and Mary-Anne's parents getting together and Dawn moving to Stonybrooke, finding out about Stacey's diabetes, all of that stuff is in those first books. We hewed as close as we could. We really wanted the adaptation to be faithful. I think that moving forward we'll definitely take inspiration from individual books, but I think it will get a little looser, the way that the books do, as well, because they're just a little more episodic the longer the series goes on. There's mysteries and super-specials and things like that, that are a little more contained. So I think as we move forward, it becomes a little more like, this [story] from this [book]. We're kind of hanging them on individual books but they'll be a little bit less like [in order] this book, this book, this book.

On 10/31/2020 at 3:58 AM, andromeda331 said:

Any guesses on what we'll see in season two?

I would love it if they brought in Abby at some point. I'd be very interested in what Shukert & Co.'s take on her would be, and with the right actress, she could be super charming. Then again, I'm speaking as an Abby fan, so mileage probably varies.

• Love 3

This is the only reboot so far I haven't been completely disappointed with, so I'm very excited that it is coming back for a second season.  I wonder how many seasons they will get out of it, since these girls will actually grow up, and not stay 12 for fifteen years.  Like others, I'm hoping they cover some of the mysteries (my absolute favorites, even if some got a little ridiculous over time), and super specials.  I also hope they don't skip over The Ghost at Dawn's House, or get too far out of order with the books.  I'd also love to see them cover Claudia and the New Girl, and Little Miss Stoneybrook...and Dawn.  Fun fact, thanks to that book and Margo Pike I tried learning to peel a banana with my feet.  It must be something only the Pike family can accomplish.  I also wonder if they will introduce Shannon Kilbourne.  She didn't have a ton to do with the series if I remember right, she was just there as a plot point I felt like.

I can see Stacey's parents divorcing, and her having to decide whether to return to NYC with her dad, or stay in Stoneybrook with her mom.  So it could kind of follow the plot of Welcome Back Stacey more.

Happy Halloween everyone.  I was just thinking how many books have them celebrating Halloween in it?  I know the Halloween Hop happens a few different times.

I remember Claudia and the Phantom Phone Calls, and Mary-Ann's Bad Luck Mystery.  What I remember about that was her and Logan went to the dance as cats, and how realistic their costumes supposedly looked.  Those are the only two books I can remember off the top of my head.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, kav said:

Happy Halloween everyone.  I was just thinking how many books have them celebrating Halloween in it?  I know the Halloween Hop happens a few different times.

I really loved Stacey and the Haunted Masquerade, as there was a legit mystery and unhinged person who turned out to be the villain in it. Some scenes really were legitimately creepy.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

I'd also love to see them cover Claudia and the New Girl, and Little Miss Stoneybrook...and Dawn.  Fun fact, thanks to that book and Margo Pike I tried learning to peel a banana with my feet.  It must be something only the Pike family can accomplish. 

You know how actors are always humble bragging about learning new skills for a part? I'm imagining the little girl who plays Margo being told she needs to learn how to peel a banana with her feet.  Or maybe they get some stunt feet to do it for her. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Mirabelle said:

You know how actors are always humble bragging about learning new skills for a part? I'm imagining the little girl who plays Margo being told she needs to learn how to peel a banana with her feet.  Or maybe they get some stunt feet to do it for her. 

I think the worst part would be when they tell her she has to eat the banana she just peeled with her feet. 

23 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

I remember Claudia and the Phantom Phone Calls, and Mary-Ann's Bad Luck Mystery.  What I remember about that was her and Logan went to the dance as cats, and how realistic their costumes supposedly looked.  Those are the only two books I can remember off the top of my head.

There was also a Kristy one where Cokie was sending fake love letters to her before a Halloween dance (very similar to Mary-Anne's Bad Luck Mystery) and there was a Dawn mystery in California on Halloween. I think they had more Halloweens than Christmases. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ruby24 said:

I wonder if they will send Dawn back to CA on this one. It might make less sense without the existence of Jeff, although they could still have Sunny show up.

Storywise I would say probably not but Xochitl Gomez was just cast in the Doctor Strange sequel. If her Marvel contract interferes with the show she could easily be written as spending time in CA. 

Edited by Guest

I liked the girl they had for Dawn in the first season, but I can understand the scheduling conflicts.  I can’t wait for season 2, and to see where they are going to pick up in the book story line (I’m assuming they’ll skip over 9-13 and get right to Hello Mallory since her and Jessi are joining).  

• Love 3

I'm sorry to hear it. I liked the actress who played Dawn and thought she did a great job. I don't blame her. That's too big to pass up but she will be missed. They did a good job for each of the other characters so I'm sure Dawn 2.0 will be great. 

• Love 7

Ah man, part of me feared this would happen when she was cast in that film, but my rational brain quickly quashed it reasoning that she could do both. Clearly, my rational brain knows nothing about how Hollywood productions work. I thought Xóchitl Gómez was super cute as Dawn, and her chemistry with Malia Baker's Mary Anne was fantastic, so this will be an adjustment for me, but this girl is adorable as well so hopefully it doesn't take me too long.

On the bright side, love the pic of the seven of them in Claudia's room when you swipe right on Kyndra's post. I like that this on some level must imply that production on season 2 seems to be going ahead. It's great to be having news on this show of any kind!

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, Niuxita said:

On the bright side, love the pic of the seven of them in Claudia's room when you swipe right on Kyndra's post. I like that this on some level must imply that production on season 2 seems to be going ahead. It's great to be having news on this show of any kind!

They’ve been filming season 2 for about a month. 

7 minutes ago, Dani said:

They’ve been filming season 2 for about a month.

Ah, excellent news, thanks! 😃 I don't really keep up with that sort of thing, so I just assumed it was still delayed because of the pandemic.

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

That's great! I can't wait.

Any guesses on what the episodes will be? 

Deadline has the episode titles. I’m not ready for episode 7.

Episode 201: “Kristy and the Snobs”
Episode 202: “Claudia and the New Girl”
Episode 203: “Stacey’s Emergency”
Episode 204: “Jessi and the Superbrat”
Episode 205: “Mary Anne and the Great Romance”
Episode 206: “Dawn and the Wicked Stepsister”
Episode 207: “Claudia and the Sad Goodbye”
Episode 208: “Kristy and the Baby Parade”

43 minutes ago, Dani said:

I am officially stupid excited.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Dani said:

I'm kind of sad they are skipping over (for now) Little Miss Stonybrook...and Dawn, Hello Mallory, and am surprised they are skipping Jessi's Secret Language.  I don't know if I remember Stacey's Emergency.  I did love Kristy and the Baby Parade.

Also not ready for #7.  I'm getting emotional just thinking about it.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 3

I remember Stacey's Emergency. I identified with her deeply because I'm diabetic myself. When I was in the hospital at 12 I asked my brother to bring me my copies of The Truth About Stacey and Stacey's Emergency, even though I hadn't read the BSC in a couple years. I'll always have a connection to those books because of that.

• Love 8

If they stick with the same plot Kristy and the Snobs is another very sad plot. 

It’s interesting they went with books with either big emotional moments or infighting amongst the club members. Except for the Jessi book which seems like an odd choice. 

Edited by Guest
4 hours ago, Dani said:

Trying to jog my memory --

201 -- that's the book that introduced Shannon right?

202 -- the one with the artsy fartsy new girl who Claudia kind of gets gay for.

203 -- diabeetus

• Love 2