Type keyword(s) to search

Rocketman (2019)

Robert Lynch
  • Start Topic

Saw this today.  Very well done, and love the music.  Like many, his childhood and parents had a lot of negative aspects.  His journey through addictions is difficult to watch, but he overcame, thankfully.

• Love 5

Floved it!  So well done and I loved how the songs were staged like a musical and the songs told the story.  Kinda disappointed it came out after Bohemian so I fear it wont get awards love since Bohemian did last year.  IMO this actor who played Elton was better than Rami that played Freddy.  

• Love 6

I loved it.   I don’t get the comparison to Bohemian Rhapsody.   I loved that also but BH was a biopic.   This while based on his life was more of a musical fantasy.  It was campy and had glimpses of Tommy, Xanadu, Rock of Ages, Grease, Hairspray, All That Jazz.   

• Love 4

Finally saw this today and loved it! It was definitely more of a musical fantasy than a biopic. Taron was excellent; everyone that dissed his singing in the trailer owes him an apology. He may not be Elton John but his voice his great. 

Poor Elton, though. His parents were GARBAGE.

• Love 11

I'm obsessed with this movie. I'm going to see it for a 3rd time tomorrow.  The producers would be foolish not to re-release it in the fall, just to be sure its not fogotten by the HFP or the AMP.

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

I'm obsessed with this movie. I'm going to see it for a 3rd time tomorrow.  The producers would be foolish not to re-release it in the fall, just to be sure its not fogotten by the HFP or the AMP.

I think the people who are seeing this are really falling in love with it. I myself want to see it again and plan to buy it when it comes out.

• Love 7

One thing I noticed on rewatch was as EJ was spiraling how he'd be surprised every time he turned up somewhere new. It might have happened at the beginning of the movie, but I only noticed it after Rocketman when he ended up on the plane. And again when he walked out of the bathroom in new clothes either before or after Sorry (can't quite remember the order) and he looks confused at his new outfit. It was a neat touch. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

One Elton song I'm surprised didn't make it into the movie was Someone Saved My Life Tonight. It seems like that one could have had a big, key scene at some point in the early part. Especially because Bernie wrote that one based on an actual incident that happened with Elton.

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 9

It's hard to pick which musical moments were my favorite, but I think the ones that really worked were the ones that emphasized just how lonely he was, like him wistfully singing "Tiny Dancer" whole watching Bernie go off with that girl at the party. That moment was really well done, not mention it's my favorite EJ song.

"Rocketman" of course was the scene stealer, transitioning from his suicide attempt to the Brooklyn Dodgers concert. A little thing I liked was how he pasted that fake smile on his face right before going out. For some reason, it made me think of poor Robin Williams and how he too put on a show just to cover up how sad he was inside.

"Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" was perfect for his rock-bottom and rehab entrance. Is it wrong that I thought he really did arrive dressed in full regalia in real life? It seemed like something he would have done, but apparently that was just dramatization. Still, made for a helluva entrance!

• Love 14
2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

It seemed like something he would have done, but apparently that was just dramatization. Still, made for a helluva entrance!

It worked really well for the directing, too.  Every time he opened up about a new aspect of his life, he shed a piece of the costume.  At the end, when they had him walking in, they showed sequins and feathers starting to fall off as a start. When I go tonight, I'm going to watch carefully to see just how much they followed that direction through to the end.  Like, what was he discussing when he was in the robe, then saw the guy looking at him, so he pulled it tighter over his chest?  I want to see just how detailed the director got with the rehab scene in it's entirety.  If I remember to do so, of course, instead of getting caught up in the music and acting again.

• Love 7
13 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Taron was excellent; everyone that dissed his singing in the trailer owes him an apology. He may not be Elton John but his voice his great. 

For sure. I listened to the soundtrack on Spotify and you could really hear the pain in his voice in some of the songs.

• Love 7
15 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

It's hard to pick which musical moments were my favorite, but I think the ones that really worked were the ones that emphasized just how lonely he was, like him wistfully singing "Tiny Dancer" whole watching Bernie go off with that girl at the party. That moment was really well done, not mention it's my favorite EJ song.

"Rocketman" of course was the scene stealer, transitioning from his suicide attempt to the Brooklyn Dodgers concert. A little thing I liked was how he pasted that fake smile on his face right before going out. For some reason, it made me think of poor Robin Williams and how he too put on a show just to cover up how sad he was inside.

"Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" was perfect for his rock-bottom and rehab entrance. Is it wrong that I thought he really did arrive dressed in full regalia in real life? It seemed like something he would have done, but apparently that was just dramatization. Still, made for a helluva entrance!

I really liked the use of "Tiny Dancer," but I would have to go with "Your Song" as the best musical moment (though it had the advantage going in since it's my favorite Elton John song). I thought the friendship between Elton and Bernie Taupin was really well drawn and well played by Taron Egerton and Jamie Bell, though I did sort of laugh at the repeated assertion that the two have never fought since the film shows them arguing on a couple of occasions.

• Love 12

I don't think I can pick a favorite music moment.  The minute he joined "Saturday Night's Alright", I knew it was going to be great.  Of course, "Rocketman" was great, as well as the others mentioned here.  I also really liked "Honkey Cat".  That was fun.

Like I said previously, I saw it for a third time and I'm still blown away by Taron's performance.  Two parts that are subtle, but killed me were 1. when he looked so happy and content after he hooked up with John the first time.  I didn't know about their history, so on the first viewing I was happy for him.  During the next two, it was heartbreaking because I knew what was coming.  2. When he "reconnected" with Reggie Dwight in rehab.  The look on his face when Reggie asked "what about Reginald Dwight?", the flinch when Reggie tried to touch his face, then the acceptance on his face when he hugged him.  Yeah, I teared up.

Not so subtle, but still a powerful moment was when he was so filled with hope that his father and half brothers would accept him into their lives, only to find out that he was still nothing to them.  The gradual move from nervous hope to devastation was a fantastic piece acting.

• Love 7

We saw this incredible movie today and I'm still thinking about it (IMO, that means it was a great film). I didn't see the Queen movie as I don't like their music, so I can't compare the two. Taron became Elton so easily. What a heartbreaking childhood he had, except for a loving grandmother. The scene that got me was when Elton "met" little Reggie who asked for a hug. Whew! What a good & valuable friend Bernie has been over the years. So, when did they create Candle in the Wind--after this segment of his life?

• Love 3

I think that the Crocodile Rock part was my favorite music moment, that was ridiculously epic, and not only because that is probably the first Elton John song I ever heard. It really nailed the sort of musical magical realism vibe the movie had going on. 

I do love a good music bio pic! I thought this was a really good movie, and while I admit to having my doubts, I thought that Taron was very well cast as Elton. He really nailed both the performer side, and the more tragic side. For such a bright colorful movie, it was so sad for most of it, the poor guy was so surrounded by garbage people for so much of his life, and was so lonely and desperate for love. I suppose thats fitting, especially in the middle part of the movie contrasting his troubled personal life with his crazy costumes and concerts and success. Even knowing that he would eventually find love and family and sobriety, it was so painful. 

It was a good thing that he bad Bernie at least, I loved seeing their friendship and despite their ups and downs that they always came back to each other. I also loved that you can tell what decade it is by what outfit Bernie happens to be wearing! 

I think that one of my favorite little moments was when his original manager, after being let go by John Reid (who was so dreamy, but SUCH an asshole) rather saltily told him that "your expensive painting is upside down." 

• Love 6
On 6/16/2019 at 1:50 AM, ruby24 said:

One Elton song I'm surprised didn't make it into the movie was Someone Saved My Life Tonight. It seems like that one could have had a big, key scene at some point in the early part. Especially because Bernie wrote that one based on an actual incident that happened with Elton.

I loved it, but as my favourite song is "I Guess That's why they Call it the Blues" I wish there was a big number with it.   But I guess the movie kind of ended in the 80s so I get it.  It makes sense that I love all of his 80s songs and don't know his 70s ones that well.

On 6/21/2019 at 1:44 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

I thought Taron Egerton not only portrayed Elton John, but also looked like him.  I also thought that at times he looked like Luke Perry.  But I never would have thought that Luke Perry looked like Elton John. 

He looked like George Constanza in ALL of the previews, LOL, but he really won me over in the movie.

• LOL 1
On 6/1/2019 at 4:56 PM, calliope1975 said:

I really enjoyed it. The only thing that bummed me out was there was only a snippet of "I Guess That's Why They Call it the Blues" because that's one of my faves

That's my one disappointment 😉

• Love 1

My favorite was when Bernie was singing Goodbye Yellow Brick Road as that has always been my favorite Elton song since I was a little. I remember when mom would take us to JCPenney when I was a girl, they had a jukebox there and you could get three songs for a quarter so I'd play GYBR three times in a row. 

I can't wait to get Elton's book, I want all the stories about the songs. About a year ago I was sitting there listening to Someone Saved My Life Tonight and I was like what the hell does the sugar bear part mean? I had always wondered about that and since we have google now I googled that shit. Sugar Bear is Long John Baldry who was the person he actually took the last name of John from. I can see why the movie didn't go into that and did the John Lennon thing as they left his story out altogether. Here are a few links about it but I'm hoping we get the full story in the book.

https://99wfmk.com/eltonsugar/

http://eltonjohnallsongslist.blogspot.com/2007/11/story-behind-someone-saved-my-life.html

https://www.onthisday.com/articles/the-man-who-saved-elton-johns-life

This last one is a small article about Long John Baldry

http://bugsburnett.blogspot.com/2012/07/sugar-bear-rod-and-elton-remember.html

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

I seem to vaguely recall them saying something about the party being at Mama Cass' place, but it's been several weeks since I saw the film.

I've seen it three times.  It was Mama Cass' place.

• Love 3

Well.  I am so late to this chat, perhaps y'all can indulge me.  I knew this movie would mess me up, so I fiddled around till today.

Elton was the soundtrack of my young adult life.  Today, as I was dragging my old knees up the cinema stairs, I was thinking about all those times I went up the stadium steps in PLATFORMS, higher than a damn kite on whatever to see Elton!

Perhaps I'm an idjit, but why was his being gay even a  thing?!!!  We all knew this in the 70/80's. Lawd, we were all David Bowie/Rocky Horror/Queen and boinking each other all night and doing stupid drugs. We never even thought about boys/boys.

The magic of this movie, to me, was the heartbreak of Elton.  Just a little kid, wanting his parents approval.  Worst of all, was the scene after his visit to his father as a Superstar and crying in his Rolls-Royce when his father dissed him.

Anyone that has ever yearned for a parents love and didn't get it, knew his pain.  It all came together at that moment.

So I bawled and bawled.  Good flick.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, zillabreeze said:

Perhaps I'm an idjit, but why was his being gay even a  thing?!!!  We all knew this in the 70/80's. Lawd, we were all David Bowie/Rocky Horror/Queen and boinking each other all night and doing stupid drugs. We never even thought about boys/boys.

Back then, it was one thing for people to have a pretty good idea about it and actually coming out and admitting it.  It wasn't as accepted in the mainstream as it is today. And, even now, it can be tough in certain areas, with certain people. 

I can't wait for the movie to come out on DVD.  I'm buying it the day it hits the shelves.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Shannon L. said:

Back then, it was one thing for people to have a pretty good idea about it and actually coming out and admitting it.  It wasn't as accepted in the mainstream as it is today. And, even now, it can be tough in certain areas, with certain people. 

As a (girl) teenager in the 70's I lived in big cities (Dallas & Honolulu) I went to all the best concerts and discos.   I never once assumed that Elton or Freddie were anything other than gay. 

David Bowie, FFS, wouldn't even fit in any LGBT slot, then or now.

My BFFs were gay dudes.  I knew they had some societal/family issues, but our group of misfits loved them all the same.  They were no different than any other teenager...crushes, love, angst!

I hope there will be another flick about Elton in the 80's.  That's when the whole world crashed down.  AIDs came in and the music really died. It was horrific, catastrophic.  It rocked our world.  How Elton came out healthy is a mystery for the ages!

On a lighter note...Elton has been friends with the Royal Family for decades!  He and Princess Di were tight!  Elton should just bop in for tea and give Prince William the name of his hair plug dude.  Elton's plugs look terrific!  

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

I can't wait for the movie to come out on DVD.  I'm buying it the day it hits the shelves.

I was a little kid in the mid 70s when Elton was basically ruling the world and even I knew Elton was gay and I wasn’t even sure what it meant!

The DVD will be released August 27. Hopefully Amazon will be delivering my copy that day.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, zillabreeze said:

As a (girl) teenager in the 70's I lived in big cities (Dallas & Honolulu) I went to all the best concerts and discos.   I never once assumed that Elton or Freddie were anything other than gay. 

David Bowie, FFS, wouldn't even fit in any LGBT slot, then or now.

I'm not saying no one knew he was gay. Hell, I was only 10 at the end of the 70s and I heard the talk and tended to believe it.  What I'm saying is that the act of coming out wasn't as easy back then and even now it can be tough.  My favorite uncle came out in the early 80s and I remember quite clearly how difficult it was for him. 

Am I misunderstanding what you meant by "was his being gay even a  thing?"  Are you talking about the movie audience and the R rating?

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

Am I misunderstanding what you meant by "was his being gay even a  thing?"  Are you talking about the movie audience and the R rating?

I guess I was just lucky being a big city kid. My friends loved who they loved, gender was a non-issue.  

Now! When it came time to dress up for a party or concert, I wanted my gay BFs opinion over the girlfriend!  

I thought the one gay sex scene in Rocketman was pretty tame. I still think the Brokeback Mountain tent scene was hotter than hell.  

My old straight ass appreciates good sex between anyone of any gender.  I suppose it's bittersweet.  Sex was so amazing before that Bitch Gravity showed up😁

• Love 1

Got it on Blu-ray and it's as great as I remember. Though watching it a second time there were several huge red flags about John that Elton probably should have picked up on. 

In case you haven't heard, Elton's half-siblings are upset about how their father was portrayed, saying that it was all lies, and that he was nothing but wonderful to Elton and taught him everything he knew about music, blah blah blah...

brady bunch k GIF

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

They must be using some obscure British spelling for "banking," as that was the career Elton's father tried to push him toward. I can believe Elton learned everything he knows about money management from his dad

• LOL 1

I bought my copy of Rocketman yesterday in the 4K version even though I don't have a 4K anything just to get the little booklet that came in it. Elton talks a bit about his upcoming book and I cannot wait to have his story in his own words. He says he hates when things are sanitized about people's lives and I totally agree with him there. We all make mistakes and shouldn't have to pretend we had some perfect life famous or not. He also talks about Leon Russell a little bit and I can't wait to hear more of that story. I have a small six degree connection there, my nephew's mom is best friends with his wife. My husband and I were sitting right next to him and his wife in a restaurant a few years before he passed but we didn't say anything. I've been near a lot of celebrities in my time, probably because I live in Nashville, but I never bother them. Not my style.

Luckily the 4K version comes with the regular blu-ray so I'll be watching it again this weekend with the hubs.

• Love 2

Definitely not the achievement that Bohemian Rhapsody was, yet some important scenes really paid off.   The re-imagined music was nowhere near as strong, either.

I loved the portrayed relationship with Taupin.  Brothers, indeed.

I understand why, but it was unfortunate that when Elton called his mum to tell her he was gay, he took great offense when she observed he was fated to a problematic love life, rather than being pleased she already knew and it made no difference to her.  

The Troubador concert really was incredibly important and the Rock and Roll review itself, which was partially recited in the movie, is considered the most significant, if not the best, ever written.  Unfortunately, I very much disliked the stylized uplifting and stop-action we saw.  

I can see why some could not stand this presentation.  I give it good marks for portraying some of the deeper understandings which are typically left out in movies.  The culmination of Elton hugging little Reggie was a wonderful, and earned, payoff.  

• Love 3
On 6/15/2019 at 11:36 PM, Shannon L. said:

The producers would be foolish not to re-release it in the fall, just to be sure its not fogotten by the HFP or the AMP.

They better if they want Taron to even have a fighting chance because with The Venice Film Festival just concluded, the buzz is that Best Actor is going to be a fight between Adam Driver and Joaquin Phoenix. Joaquin apparently got something like a 20 minute standing ovation after Joker ended. 

On 9/1/2019 at 12:37 AM, Lonesome Rhodes said:

I understand why, but it was unfortunate that when Elton called his mum to tell her he was gay, he took great offense when she observed he was fated to a problematic love life, rather than being pleased she already knew and it made no difference to her.   

The culmination of Elton hugging little Reggie was a wonderful, and earned, payoff.  

I think it was the way she said it.  Her tone and words.  Nothing about it was loving.  It was sharp, dismissive and negative.  Granted, they way he told her didn't sound like he wanted a loving response, but it's my thought that he did that because it would help him steel himself for a negative reaction.  Kind of like "well, the I acted, what did I expect".  The problem is:  1. there was shock that she knew and 2. no matter how ready you are for a negative reaction from a loved one, for many people, it still hurts like hell when you get it.  Besides, all he wanted was to be truly loved by someone, and saying bluntly that it would never happen was a gut punch.  I'm not gay, but from what I've heard from countless gay friends and a 2 gay relatives, having people tell you that you "chose" to be that way must be maddening and painful. 

That moment where he hugged Reggie was beautiful. 

2 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

They better if they want Taron to even have a fighting chance because with The Venice Film Festival just concluded, the buzz is that Best Actor is going to be a fight between Adam Driver and Joaquin Phoenix. Joaquin apparently got something like a 20 minute standing ovation after Joker ended. 

Adam Driver? Which movie? 

I had a feeling that Joaquin Phoenix was going to get all the nomination talk.  It does look like a great performance and if I decide to see it, it may become my favorite of the year.  I just want Taron to be nominated.--he definitely deserves that much.  After I've seen the other performances, I'll way in again. 

• Love 1

I just rented this over the weekend and got two viewings in before it disappeared. Loved it so much I’m getting the Blu-ray. I am a huge fan of straight-up movie musicals, especially ones that revel in being that genre, and this film is just great. All three actors who played Elton/Reggie were terrific, and I really liked/loathed Bryce Dallas Howard as Reggie’s mum, who was just a vile woman, although her nastier aspects were outshone by Reggie’s dad, who was horrible to the poor guy. 

Best relationship in the film is, of course, Elton and Bernie, and Jamie Bell is fantastic as Bernie. 

I have never seen anything with Egerton before, and he is perfect as Elton, definitely deserving of an Oscar nomination.

Question—did all of the actors sing their own music? Because Jamie Bell’s delivery of “Goodbye, Yellow Brick Road” just about broke my heart and I am hoping he sang that himself.

• Love 11
8 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

Question—did all of the actors sing their own music? Because Jamie Bell’s delivery of “Goodbye, Yellow Brick Road” just about broke my heart and I am hoping he sang that himself.

He did. Here's a good interview with him. You should listen to the soundtrack on Spotify if you have it, it's real interesting to hear the songs without the visuals. I plan to buy the actual album. Yes, listening to albums is still my favorite way to listen to music.

Rocketman was hands down my favorite movie of this year, I think it was brilliant. I hope it wins awards and I hope Jamie Bell isn't overlooked. He was so good as Bernie, a person that many people don't even know about. I loved that there was more of Bernie in this movie than I was expecting.

• Love 9

Everyone that loved this movie really should get the Blu-ray, there were some good extras on it. I particularly enjoyed the one about the musical numbers. There's also an extended video of Saturday Night which shows some of the number that they left out. That's the one I wish they would have left all of it in because it was my favorite musical dance sequence in the film. It re-woke my love for that song which I have always liked but it's never been among my favorite Elton songs. There's also some other extended cuts of the musical numbers but I can see why they left that stuff out.

There's also a good extra that shows Taron's process with singing the songs. Real interesting and has Giles Martin in it too. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, festivus said:

He did. Here's a good interview with him. You should listen to the soundtrack on Spotify if you have it, it's real interesting to hear the songs without the visuals. I plan to buy the actual album. Yes, listening to albums is still my favorite way to listen to music.

I'll do that.  I've seen it 4 times now and I have to admit that there are some songs that I like better with Taron's vocals than with Elton's. 

6 hours ago, festivus said:

That's the one I wish they would have left all of it in because it was my favorite musical dance sequence in the film. It re-woke my love for that song which I have always liked but it's never been among my favorite Elton songs.

It made me love some songs that I was never really crazy about, too, like Crocodile Rock and Honky Cat.  I lent it to a friend (who loved it and asked to keep it another week so she can show it to her daughter), so when I get it back, I'll definitely watch the extras.

• Love 1

I was 10 in 1976, and my school was doing a Bicentennial assembly in which the school’s six units (how it was subdivided) split up American history and each got a chunk. My unit had the 1920s -1976, and after being displaced from being one of the presenters (damn new braces=couldn’t talk clearly), I was put in charge of getting the whole show to run smoothly. My only question for the teacher who wrote our segment was why, for the 1950s music dance, she used “Crocodile Rock” instead of something actually from the ‘50s? She said all the kids in the bleachers would know it and it sounded ‘50s, so close enough. None of the kids noticed the anachronism, so it worked!

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 1

I'm reading Elton John's memoir that just came out, and I highly recommend it for anyone that wants to compare and contrast it to the movie.  Some things:

• His mom really was worse than she was in the movie, and that says a lot.  Among the things that were left out was the fact that her way of potty-training him was to hit him when he didn't use it properly.
  • He was actually happy when his parents broke up because of all the fighting.  Can't blame him there.
  • The part with him overdosing and trying to drown himself in the pool and the very next day he did the Brooklyn Dodgers concert with the sparkly uniform?  That was true.  
  • He also has some fun stories about John Lennon, Freddie Mercury and Princess Diana.
Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

So some positive news for those really hoping Taron doesn't get forgotten during Award season, considering how early the film was released. 

The Hollywood Film Awards were presented last weekend (maybe one of the earliest predictors for Award seasons.  Though because it's so early, it doesn't always pan out as predicted come Oscar time but it does suggest who might be in contention) and Taron was awarded the Breakout Actor award. The film also won for Makeup & Hair Styling. 

For some perspective, John David Washington won the Breakout Actor award last year for BlacKKKlansman and other films and performances awarded included Green Book, The Favourite (Rachel Weisz won Supporting Actress), Black Panther and Glenn Close who won Best Actress for The Wife.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 4
On 8/28/2019 at 9:29 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Got it on Blu-ray and it's as great as I remember. Though watching it a second time there were several huge red flags about John that Elton probably should have picked up on. 

In case you haven't heard, Elton's half-siblings are upset about how their father was portrayed, saying that it was all lies, and that he was nothing but wonderful to Elton and taught him everything he knew about music, blah blah blah...

brady bunch k GIF

Unless they massively exaggerated the age difference, how would they even know? Elton has to be at least 10-15 years older than them. It's like how the Crawford twins try to discredit Christina and Christopher's stories when they can't even remember what went down in the early/mid-40s.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 4

I'm so happy to hear it, but, sadly, based on what I've been hearing, these will probably be the only nominations it gets this year.  I hope I'm wrong, though.  At the very least, Taron deserves nominations.  I was thinking that he'd be the front runner for the GG, but it's a really strong category this year, so I'm not so sure anymore. 

• Love 1