Type keyword(s) to search

Rocketman (2019)

Robert Lynch
  • Start Topic

On 12/9/2019 at 9:31 AM, Shannon L. said:

I'm so happy to hear it, but, sadly, based on what I've been hearing, these will probably be the only nominations it gets this year. 

Not quite. SAG Awards nominations announced this morning. 

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role

Christian Bale, Ford v Ferrari
Leonarod DiCaprio, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Adam Driver, Marriage Story
Taron Egerton, Rocketman
Joaquin Phoenix, Joker

I have to say I was definitely very stunned but kudos to him. I think Taron and his team may be doing a lot more hardcore behind the scenes campaigning than people realize. 

This year's Best Actor category is actually shaping up to be very interesting. Last year at this time, the question was who would win between Bale vs Malek vs Cooper. But the nominees at least was a lock, except for maybe the fifth spot, which was a toss up between William Dafeo or John David Washington. 

This year, the only locks seem to be Adam Driver and Joaquin Phoenix. I guess some could say maybe Leo just because he's now gotten the Globe and the SAG nominations. But there are two spots up for grabs.

Antonio Banderas is the huge snub here as he's been cleaning up with the critics (but we saw that last year with Ethan Hawke who got a bunch of critics' awards and got snubbed by the Globes, SAG and of course Oscar).

Bale is now heavily in the mix for Ford v Ferrari where previously he was considered a maybe. And now both Globes and HFPA have snubbed DeNiro but you have to wonder if the Academy would really ignore him. So all that to say, Taron's chances aren't dead yet for an Oscar nom. 

• Love 2

I probably shouldn't underestimate Taron, since to be honest, I didn't even think he would still be in the conversation at this point (though the Globe win is actually not as surprising to me as it was to others, just because it was the Comedy/Musical category) and he somehow pulled out that SAG nomination.

That said, I will still fall down on the floor stunned if he can somehow upset Joaquin Phoenix AND Adam Driver to actually win the Oscar. Guess SAG will be the true test, as that's the first major one pre-Oscars, that he's going to go up against those two. 

I do think Elton and Bernie are heavy favorites for Original Song.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3

To me, the testament of a film is how it touches my heart.  With this movie, I was deeply touched. Plus, my love for Elton and his music goes back to my childhood, so, it already holds such a special place for me.  I'm glad that so many others liked it too. 

• Love 8

Too strong of a year in terms of movies and acting. IMO if Taron were going against Malek, Taron would have won... but last year was... last year...

bummer, I really wanted at least a nom for him. not too surprised, unfortunately.

Costumes is a more surprising snub though...

• Love 2

Streamed it last night, loved it. Far more creative than I expected.

There were moments when it struck me that the model for this movie was not other movie musicals, but the fairly recent "genre" of biographical stage musicals--Jersey Boys, Beautiful, Cher, the like. Of those, the only one I've seen was Beautiful, but I assume it's a typical example of the genre. While Rocketman is very much a film, the fantasy/surrealism in it seemed like what I would expect from a Broadway bio-musical. And I think the filmmakers had it in the back of their minds that a mint can be made--serious money, to cause the movie money to pale by comparison--by translating the property into a stage musical that will run for years and spawn companies all around the world. Not that there's anything wrong with that!

• Love 3

My verdict: loved it! Rocketman is just as great as Elton John's music. Bohemian Rhapsody was good and Rami Malek was great, but overall, Rocketman is better. While Malek deserved his Best Actor Oscar, as Elton John, Taron Egerton's performance is a revelation. Egerton richly deserves the Golden Globe he won for it. That Egerton wasn't  even nominated for the Best Actor Oscar was one of the biggest snubs of the year. That it wasn't even nominated for the costumes when they were designed by the same designer for Bohemian Rhapsody was just as shitty. Not as shitty as Elton John's parents, but shitty nonetheless.

Speaking of whom, it's a wonder that poor little Reginald Dwight even survived his folks, let alone thrived. Reg's Nana was the only one in that house who loved/believed in him, unconditionally. 

Then there were the two biggest relationships in the film: writing partner Bernie Taupin, who brought out the best in Elton and John Reid, Elton's now ex-manager/ex-lover, who not only brought out the worst in Elton, he was a physically, mentally and emotionally abusive asshole who cheated on Elton and probably cheated Elton out of millions. In other words, Reid was just as ugly inside as he was pretty outside. Then again, what else could be expected from the creep who basically forced Elton to perform when he tried to kill himself hours before?

Then there's the music, which was brilliant, from start to finish, whether it was the title track, "The Bitch Is Back," "I Want Love," "Saturday Night's All Right For Fighting," "Your Song," "Tiny Dancer,"  "Honky Cat," "Pinball Wizard," "Benny & the Jets," "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" & "I'm Still Standing," the latter song which, when Egerton first performed it in Sing reportedly not only helped Egerton get Rocketman, it's become Egerton's theme song.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 4
On 2/27/2020 at 10:04 AM, truthaboutluv said:

Bohemian Rhapsody wasn't nominated for costume design. 

I know, I was just saying that both films shared the same costume designer, who did a great job on both films.

IMO, Rocketman was not one, not two nor three nor even four, but five love stories: Elton and his grandma, Elton and music (his first love), Elton & John Reid, the platonic love between Elton and Bernie Taupin and, most of all, Elton and Reg Dwight.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 3

Saw this on Hulu and loved it. Man, it was thoroughly enjoyable. The singing while not an Elton copy was great..perfectly sung in emotion. I was thrilled "Take Me To the Pilot" was used.

All the other comments I could make have already been made. I saw Bohemian Rhapsody and to be honest, all I can recall of it is the fantastic Live Aid recreation whereas this movie had made great moments...The kid who played Elton was amazing.  I hope to see more things from him..and will likely rewatch this movie...

I recall reading in John Denver's bio that he was there for Elton's return dates for the Troubadour...and even he said it was something to see...(I just like the idea that John Denver was at an Elton John concert!).

My connection with Elton goes to around 1990. I had heard plenty of Elton's music growing up but never thought much of it. I purchased a cassette of Greatest Hits because "Rocketman" was a song I really liked at that moment. I wound up listening to that tape every afternoon for a month as I did my homework. To this day, whenever I hear Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, I think of "Wuthering Heights" and how I got an A on that test because of that tape..( I hated that book)...

As I was watching this, the fantastical aspects of it reminded me of "Beyond the Sea" which I loathed because Kevin Spacey made that movie all about himself and NOT Bobby Darrin....This movie was better because it was about Elton and those around him got their moment to shine...

All in all, well done and years from now, I think this is the biopic that will be remembered.

• Love 5

@stonehaven there are very few Oscar snubs that I hang onto past the event itself, but I don't know that I'll ever stop being bitter that Taron wasn't nominated for this movie and that the movie itself didn't get multiple nominations.

As for his singing, there were a few songs that I thought were just as good as the originals and a couple that I liked even better than the original. 

I don't know if you saw the post where I mentioned this, but I thought BoRap, while not the best movie, was a lot of fun and I've seen it a few times, but Rocketman was better.  I was thrilled for Rami Malek's wins because he was, imo, the best thing about the movie and I thought he deserved the awards he got, but, Taron was better (not by much, but I still think he had a slightly stronger performance). So, yeah......it was a huge snub.

• Love 4

YMMV but it seems to me that a big problem with the feelings about Rocketman and its Oscar snubs is that many keep comparing it to Bohemian Rhapsody. And I get it on some level because of the whole Dexter Fletcher connection, two iconic British performers, etc. 

However, the fact is Bohemian Rhapsody was one year and Rocketman was another year. Rocketman and Taron to be more specific was not competing against Rami Malek or Bohemian Rhapsody. And that is the mindset many need to let go of. 

It doesn't matter whether or not one believes Taron did a better job playing Elton than Rami did playing Freddie Mercury. Because voters were not looking at Taron's performance in comparison to Rami's. They were looking at it in comparison to Joaquin Phoenix, in comparison to Adam Driver and Antonio Banderas, etc.

And that's the crux when we start talking about who was or wasn't snubbed. Because if you look at the nominees this year and say Taron was snubbed, then it becomes well who shouldn't have been there? It for sure wasn't Joaquin or Adam or Antonio. And after slogging through it, yes, not the most fun movie but Jonathan Pryce was amazing in my opinion in The Two Popes. 

If I were a voter, for me personally, this would have come down to Leonardo Dicaprio vs. Taron. Because honestly, I wasn't as in love with Once Upon a Time in Hollywood as the critics. And I love me some Leo and he was certainly great as he often is. But I wouldn't have been too upset if he didn't get nominated. But that's where the reality of politics with these awards come into play. 

They weren't going to leave Leo Dicaprio out. The solid locks for Best Actor were him, Joaquin and Adam Driver. And so two spots were up in the air - Antonio Banderas had been the critical favorite and racked up numerous pre-season awards, then there was Christian Bale as a potential who is always formidable in every role he plays. And finally, it's obvious the Academy was more impressed with The Two Popes than they were Rocketman, going by how many nominations the former racked up. 

The fact is, there really is no rhyme or reason sometimes for why certain films hit with Academy voters and others don't. If I had to guess, I'd say the reality probably is that Rocketman was hurt by being released too early in the year and then it wasn't exactly a box office smash, making it much easier to get forgotten by voters by the time the year ended. 

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

YMMV but it seems to me that a big problem with the feelings about Rocketman and its Oscar snubs is that many keep comparing it to Bohemian Rhapsody. And I get it on some level because of the whole Dexter Fletcher connection, two iconic British performers, etc. 

However, the fact is Bohemian Rhapsody was one year and Rocketman was another year. Rocketman and Taron to be more specific was not competing against Rami Malek or Bohemian Rhapsody. And that is the mindset many need to let go of. 

It doesn't matter whether or not one believes Taron did a better job playing Elton than Rami did playing Freddie Mercury. Because voters were not looking at Taron's performance in comparison to Rami's. They were looking at it in comparison to Joaquin Phoenix, in comparison to Adam Driver and Antonio Banderas, etc.

And that's the crux when we start talking about who was or wasn't snubbed. Because if you look at the nominees this year and say Taron was snubbed, then it becomes well who shouldn't have been there? It for sure wasn't Joaquin or Adam or Antonio. And after slogging through it, yes, not the most fun movie but Jonathan Pryce was amazing in my opinion in The Two Popes. 

If I were a voter, for me personally, this would have come down to Leonardo Dicaprio vs. Taron. Because honestly, I wasn't as in love with Once Upon a Time in Hollywood as the critics. And I love me some Leo and he was certainly great as he often is. But I wouldn't have been too upset if he didn't get nominated. But that's where the reality of politics with these awards come into play. 

They weren't going to leave Leo Dicaprio out. The solid locks for Best Actor were him, Joaquin and Adam Driver. And so two spots were up in the air - Antonio Banderas had been the critical favorite and racked up numerous pre-season awards, then there was Christian Bale as a potential who is always formidable in every role he plays. And finally, it's obvious the Academy was more impressed with The Two Popes than they were Rocketman, going by how many nominations the former racked up. 

The fact is, there really is no rhyme or reason sometimes for why certain films hit with Academy voters and others don't. If I had to guess, I'd say the reality probably is that Rocketman was hurt by being released too early in the year and then it wasn't exactly a box office smash, making it much easier to get forgotten by voters by the time the year ended. 

Oh, I agree that you can't consider it a snub with regards to BoRhap because it was released in a different year.  I was just giving my personal opinion when comparing the two movies with each other.  I shocked that BoRhap was nominated for an Oscar for Best Picture because, while it was my favorite movie of the year, it certainly had enough problems that I didn't think it was good enough for that particular nomination.  I thought Rocketman was definitely worthy.  Besides, there were 10 spots available and only 9 nominated.  I know there's a formula they go by when counting the votes, but still....

The only movie I didn't see in the Best Actor Category was Pain and Glory, but when comparing Taron to the others, I'd have put him in over Leo (who I like) in a heartbeat.  The only thing I liked about OUTIH was the set design and costumes.  I thought it was highly overrated, but obviously I was in the minority. *shrug*  While we're at it, I wasn't crazy about Joker or Joaquin Phoenix.  Way over the top, imo.  But, it is what it is and I still get sad when I see something related to Rocketman.

FWIW, I have a friend whose son is an award winning hair and make up artist and is well respected in the industry and he said that the talk about Rocketman was pretty much "Been there, done that with Bohemian Rhapsody last year", although, I'm sure there was something to it being released so early, as well.

• Love 1
(edited)
27 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

Oh, I agree that you can't consider it a snub with regards to BoRhap because it was released in a different year.  I was just giving my personal opinion when comparing the two movies with each other. 

Just to be clear, my comment was not solely in response to you. This was something I saw all throughout Awards Season and continue to see today - "Taron did his own singing and I thought he was better, so why does Rami have an Oscar". And it really feels like many seem to forget that Taron and Rocketman were not competing against Rami and Bohemian Rhapsody.

And so when making a case for Taron and the film, it makes no sense to compare it the latter. Basically it felt like some believed Taron was better than Rami and so he should have gotten an Oscar too, ignoring the other actors that Taron was actually competing against.

I don't doubt there were some Academy voters who thought "been there, done that" regarding Rocketman and Taron's performance in comparison to Bohemian Rhapsody. But I truly believe the biggest factor the film had working against it, was its release date.

I'm not sure what the strategy was behind that decision but pretty much everyone knows that if you want a film to be in serious contention for Awards Season, you go for a Fall release. Hell since it's constantly compared, Bohemian Rhapsody was released in October. And not only was Rocketman released too early, there wasn't much of an impact. 

It was a good film that the critics liked well enough and the audience that watched it, loved.  But it didn't spark any real dialogue or passion if you will. There was no real controversy around it like say Green Book or hell even Bohemian Rhapsody. It wasn't this critical darling a la A Star is Born or Parasite, etc. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2
On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 9:42 PM, stonehaven said:

The kid who played Elton was amazing.  I hope to see more things from him..and will likely rewatch this movie...

You should check out Kingsman then. I believe that was his first role and right away he was thrown next to Colin Firth, Mark Strong, Samuel L Jackson and was right at home next to those "scene stealers"

• Love 2
3 hours ago, vavera4ka said:

You should check out Kingsman then. I believe that was his first role and right away he was thrown next to Colin Firth, Mark Strong, Samuel L Jackson and was right at home next to those "scene stealers"

Both Kingsman: The Secret Service and its sequel KIngsman: The Golden Circle are fun movies and Taron is good in both. Elton John himself has a memorable role in Kingsman: THe Golden Circle.