Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER

SilverStormm

Judging The Judges

Recommended Posts


Dump Nick Cannon.  He adds absolutely nothing to the show and his weird hair (will he be turbanned or will he look like Frederick Douglass) and shiny glittery suits are distracting.  Joel McHale would be the perfect host for season 2.  The host needs to be someone funny.

As much as people seem to want them to, I don't see the show dumping Jenny McCarthy or Nicole Scherzinger because of the perceived need to have the "hot woman" judge.

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post

I like the judges! I like anti-vaxxer McCarthy the least, but I am loving Robin, Ken, and Nicole. I think Nick is a good host. I don't like his head pieces though.

I usually hate JB Smoove, but he had me rolling or maybe it was Ken's reaction to his zany comments. Besides anyone with the cajones to hit on Gladys Knight in a Bee costume is alright.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
41 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Can they get rid of the comedic judges?  They just aren't that funny.  While they're at it, get rid of loud and obnoxious Jenny too.

I am fine with just two judges, Robin and Nicole.

When Robin Thicke is the least annoying judge, that's pretty bad. What they need is someone who is cheesy and knows it. Someone like Owen Wilson (of course he probably wouldn't do it). 

I don't really mind Nick Cannon, though. He's bland and unoffensive, as a host should be. 

  • Love 6

Share this post


Link to post

The judges...  ack!  Robin Thicke is the best of the bunch - can't stand Jenny and can't stand  Ken (he should stick to his fast food commercials).  Nicole is meh.   And can somebody tell me what the deal is with the schmatte that Nick Cannon has on his head?   Turbans are so Norma Desmond  - I guess that Nick wants to be ready for his close up? 

Edited by 12catcrazy · Reason: typo
  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post

I've already ranted some about the judges in another forum but I'm going to bring it here for follow up. Jenny and Nicole drive me crazy, taking themselves and this show so seriously and constantly inserting their inane chatter into the performances. They're not really "judges," as the audience is the party doing the voting, right? So they're more like talking head/commentator types to add interest to the show.

Jenny needs a new stylist, because whomever is encouraging her to bring the boobs-all-out, fake eyelashes, hair extensions, drag queen makeup (and I love me some drag queens) every time, on top of her obvious fascination with plastic surgery/fillers/etc.,  is making her look like a cartoon character. It's the classic case of doing too much. 

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/13/2019 at 4:24 PM, blackwing said:

Dump Nick Cannon.  He adds absolutely nothing to the show and his weird hair (will he be turbanned or will he look like Frederick Douglass) and shiny glittery suits are distracting.  Joel McHale would be the perfect host for season 2.  The host needs to be someone funny.

As much as people seem to want them to, I don't see the show dumping Jenny McCarthy or Nicole Scherzinger because of the perceived need to have the "hot woman" judge.

If the criteria for the female judges is to be “hot”, then Jenny should be kicked off.  She is trying way too hard to be twenty something again.  Her face is scary.  It also looks like she’s worn the same butt ugly blouse for all the shows except one.  I’m not really fond of any of the regular judges.  I do like JB and think he’s funny as f, but the rest are just awful.  Nick Cannon doesn’t bother me so much.  I think he’s pretty funny.  Are turbans popular again?  

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post

robin thicke is most thoughtful, also considerate (saying seasoned instead of y'all old). Nicole is too quick to say "not a singer." I appreciate the need for comedy and pop culture references so mchale and co should stay.

as much as I find jenny annoying, she actually has been right the most, correct?

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, andipandi said:

robin thicke is most thoughtful, also considerate (saying seasoned instead of y'all old). Nicole is too quick to say "not a singer." I appreciate the need for comedy and pop culture references so mchale and co should stay.

as much as I find jenny annoying, she actually has been right the most, correct?

Jenny has only guessed Tommy Chong correctly. Robin has gotten three right and everyone else has been right once. 

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post

I don't know why but I've always liked Jenny McCarthy.    Surprisingly I like Robin Thicke too which says a lot given his past douche-y ways.     I'm not feeling Ken or Nicole and wouldn't care if they are dropped.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

My ranking of the judges:

1) JB -- he was funny and on point

2) McHale

3) Robin

4) Nicole

1,035 -- Ken (tries too hard)

51,238,576 -- Jenny, who should be in jail for reckless endangerment, at the very least

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post

I like Nick but I think a prerequisite for hosting this show is having someone that can pronounce "singer" correctly. Hint, it isn't "sinGer".

  • Love 5
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, lynxfx said:

I like Nick but I think a prerequisite for hosting this show is having someone that can pronounce "singer" correctly. Hint, it isn't "sinGer".

That drives me crazy.  And he used to be married to one.

Curious if there have been any media articles explaining his penchant for turbans... is he just trying to create a character?

  • Love 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/16/2019 at 10:53 AM, blackwing said:

That drives me crazy.  And he used to be married to one.

Curious if there have been any media articles explaining his penchant for turbans... is he just trying to create a character?

He has explained it a few times but he tends to ramble. 

Share this post


Link to post

For next season... Joel McHale as host.  We need a host who is funny and can actually add value to the show beyond "Sherri Shepherd would have pinched my butt".  Add Kenan as a full time judge with Robin and Nicole.  Rotate Jenny and Ken throughout.

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post

I am not a fan of Nick Cannon hosting but don't want Joel McHale. On every single game show he has been on, he gives the air of having something better to do. So, I suggest he do that. Ken is too much as well. Surprisingly, McCarthy has not bugged me. I do think Kenan was the best guest judge.

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, Enigma X said:

I am not a fan of Nick Cannon hosting but don't want Joel McHale. On every single game show he has been on, he gives the air of having something better to do. So, I suggest he do that. 

That is pretty true. Last year he was a judge on The Gong Show, then he was on the panel for Match Game, then was on To Tell the Truth. He sure was making the rounds. I don't mind his sarcastic and blasé attitude for most of the shows since they are pretty silly when you get down to it. I liked that he pointed out how weird this show is but I can see how he is basically his character from Community. Too cool for school.

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post

59 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

Jenny and Ken as "judges"? This show is an f'n joke. And not a funny joke. 

The judges should either by funny (like Kenan) or shut up (like Robin). The problem with most of them is that they aren't funny, and they don't shut up.

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post

every time they cut from the singing to jenny's exaggerated "WHO IS THAT" I was like shut the f up jenny. The overacting must stop. Robin was actually thinking, keenan was nice. Ken needs to be reined back. Nicole was ok.

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, andipandi said:

every time they cut from the singing to jenny's exaggerated "WHO IS THAT" I was like shut the f up jenny. The overacting must stop. Robin was actually thinking, keenan was nice. Ken needs to be reined back. Nicole was ok.

They really need to stop all the dramatic reactions in my opinion. Cutting to the judges and audiences shocked faces before the mask is even off does not actually build suspense. I want to see the reveal but as soon as the “take it off” chant starts I want to start throwing things at the tv. 

I felt Ken did rein it in a little bit whenever there was a comedian as the guest judge. The rest of the time it seemed like he was overcompensating. 

  • Love 6

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, andipandi said:

every time they cut from the singing to jenny's exaggerated "WHO IS THAT" I was like shut the f up jenny.

Jenny wasn't the only one doing that. Next season, I don't want to see or hear from the judges at all while a performance is going on. Whatever they have to say can wait.

  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post

I don’t know why Jenny was there, as for “being right most of the time” - you can’t tell me the rest of the judges didn’t really have it figured out and were playing it up.  I had half of them guessed right the first time they sang. The ones I didn’t guess right I had no idea who they were. 

Jenny is annoying and has a lot of baggage. There are better choices for season 2.  Maybe Ricki Lake - go from contestant to judge. 

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post

Someone had an interesting idea of wishing there was a side contest where the judge with the lowest number of correct guesses gets replaced with another judge for Season 2.     I have to say I'm open to the idea.

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post

On 3/2/2019 at 1:14 PM, OnceAgain said:

I don’t know why Jenny was there, as for “being right most of the time” - you can’t tell me the rest of the judges didn’t really have it figured out and were playing it up.  I had half of them guessed right the first time they sang. The ones I didn’t guess right I had no idea who they were. 

Jenny is annoying and has a lot of baggage. There are better choices for season 2.  Maybe Ricki Lake - go from contestant to judge. 

If Ricki were to get anyone right, the audience should chant, "Go, Ricki! Go, Ricki!" 😉

21 hours ago, Meedis said:

Someone had an interesting idea of wishing there was a side contest where the judge with the lowest number of correct guesses gets replaced with another judge for Season 2.     I have to say I'm open to the idea.

Maybe the losing judge should be benched for an episode. (Sorry, Dr. Ken.)

Edited by discoprincessthe2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

I usually love Joel McHale, but on the first episode he seemed kind of grumpy and bland, mixed with being a bit disrespectful to the contestants.  I don't want him back as a judge.

I know this was discussed above, but I'm adding my plea to force Nick Cannon to pronounce "Singer" correctly or replace him. 

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post

I may ditch this show if THEY don't ditch Measles McCarthy next season.

  • Love 4
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

Nickelodeon's "All That" did a pitch-perfect imitation of how bad the judging is on The Masked Singer. Beyonce, Ariana Grande and The Rock were all judges on a "celebrities wear masks and do video game dances" show, and it poked fun at how self-involved (Beyonce kept guessing herself) and vapid (Ariana Grande offered bland praise to everyone and The Rock just spit out bon mots and stupid guesses, a la Ken Jeong) the judges were.

It even mocked how out of touch the judges were when the dancers were "revealed." None of them supposedly knew Billy Ray Cyrus had a career, and kept calling him "Miley's dad."

The best part was when Nick Cannon turned out to be host and one of the dancers, because he appears on so many shows. The kid who was Nick Cannon was amazing.

  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

The show was a surprise success with these judges, so the network thinks the judges are responsible for the success.  The network is very wrong; the show was successful based on the premise not the judges.  The judges were awful, annoying, obnoxious, stupid or deliberately obtuse and ruined, for me, what would have been a fun show. 

I also don't think the success will last.  It got boring for me once I realized it was people I didn't care about week after week under the masks.  JMO, but I think the novelty will wear off quickly on this one. 

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/21/2019 at 4:06 PM, Bazinga said:

The show was a surprise success with these judges, so the network thinks the judges are responsible for the success.  The network is very wrong; the show was successful based on the premise not the judges.  The judges were awful, annoying, obnoxious, stupid or deliberately obtuse and ruined, for me, what would have been a fun show. 

I also don't think the success will last.  It got boring for me once I realized it was people I didn't care about week after week under the masks.  JMO, but I think the novelty will wear off quickly on this one. 

My guess is that it will only last a couple of seasons.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

I'm glad that Joel McHale will be back at some point.  Anthony Anderson is cool, but I didn't see any mention of Kenan Thompson.  He was great, wish he would come back.

After watching the performances this season way too many times, I've concluded that each of the panelists has a signature move or saying:

Nicole: "I feel like I know this voice!"

Jenny: "Who IS this?!?!?!?!"

Robin: "Yeeeeaaahhhh!!!!" [gets up and does a head nod or dance when he likes it]

Ken: [dumb stare into space]

Edited by blackwing
  • Love 5
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

From the few season 2 performances I watched, they've edited down the judges so they aren't constantly shouting inane guesses but they really just need to cut them out entirely. If they aren't going to replace the panel with less polarizing figures, then at least stop cutting to their faces and dumb comments in the middle of the performance. And cut Nicole's mic so I don't have to hear her periodically shrieking because she needs attention. 

I assume this style of editing mimics the other non-American versions of the show but I also assume the non-American versions of the show don't include an anti-vaxxer, a cheater with substance abuse issues whose album for his wife sold an embarrassingly small number of copies, and a comedic actor whose shtick a lot of people find obnoxious. It's so easy. Just cut them until after the performances. American Idol, X Factor, The Voice, etc. So many other singing competitions manage to not have the judges interrupt the performances. 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/5/2020 at 6:37 AM, aradia22 said:

From the few season 2 performances I watched, they've edited down the judges so they aren't constantly shouting inane guesses but they really just need to cut them out entirely. If they aren't going to replace the panel with less polarizing figures, then at least stop cutting to their faces and dumb comments in the middle of the performance. And cut Nicole's mic so I don't have to hear her periodically shrieking because she needs attention. 

I assume this style of editing mimics the other non-American versions of the show but I also assume the non-American versions of the show don't include an anti-vaxxer, a cheater with substance abuse issues whose album for his wife sold an embarrassingly small number of copies, and a comedic actor whose shtick a lot of people find obnoxious. It's so easy. Just cut them until after the performances. American Idol, X Factor, The Voice, etc. So many other singing competitions manage to not have the judges interrupt the performances. 

Australia has a radio shockjock's sidekick, Lindsay Lohan, a comedian whose schtick is as tiring as Ken's, and Kylie Minogue's less-famous sister. The UK has Ken (though he's been replaced by guest judges the last couple of weeks), the original host of their Big Brother, a random pop singer, and their version of Jimmy Kimmel.

Share this post


Link to post

Just my two cents...and that's about what my opinion is probably worth 😛 I would like to suggest Joey Fatone as a host OR a judge 🙂 he's funny and personable...plus he was a former contestant.   I think Ken is way over the top but I don't mind him nearly as much as Nicole's fake crying every single time someone sings a sentimental song.  Robin is my fave out of this group of judges.  Jenny...UGH...she can just go away.   🙂

  • Love 3
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

Question:

Has anyone asked known antivaxer Jennie her opinion on COVID19 vaccines?  Anyone see it in the media anywhere?  

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/11/2021 at 2:15 PM, Kromm said:

Question:

Has anyone asked known antivaxer Jennie her opinion on COVID19 vaccines?  Anyone see it in the media anywhere?  

I do know this much: until about 2 years ago she was the president of generation rescue, the autism charity that were heavily implying vaccines causes autism, etc., then suddenly the site was gone, social media went silent and was no longer involved. From what someone told me, the founder of the charity wanted to go all In with the vaccine issue and she felt it was going overboard so she stepped down. 
They still must get along though as she has been promoting his book on her social media. 

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size