Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04: Marry Fuck Kill

Josh gives Margo a muffin, Margo gives Josh her muffin.  :)

Whoa, Margo rocks that dress in the opening.

Darth Eliot.  Ha.

LOVE Margo's attitude.  She's going to save Josh if he doesn't nutsack out.

Oooh, Penny worships Julia.  That scene with Penny worshipping Julia--sexy and sweet.

OMG, is Josh actually eating a monitor lizard heart?

The monster displays wisdom and a surprisingly good counseling technique.  Are Q and the monster bonding?  Well, only for a moment.  Can Q humanize the monster?

Quite a noble act Margo saving Josh like that.  Margo and Josh are so cute.  You are a lucky man, Josh.

Eliot's alive!  Is he in a picture?

• Love 8

Dont you dare scare me like that, Monster! Dont you pull that "his soul died" bullshit on me! I didnt really think that they would kill Elliot off, but for a second there, I was worried. But poor Elliot, where is he?!

Knowing this show, we will end up running into a werewolf tree running around causing trouble at some point now. And thats why I love it so much.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

ELIOT!!! How great is Hale Appleman at being creepy enough that it felt good to see our Eliot.

Loved Margo. I mean, I always love her, but I loved her particularly this episode. I worry about the prediction about how alone she will be from a few episodes ago. I guess being L+ could be a factor. I enjoyed that she made a decision and owned it. They could have made her reluctant, but instead she decided she could worry about it in 30 years and went for it. 

The Julia-Penny thing was also a pretty enjoyable storyline both from the perspective of getting some fallout from Bacchus and from getting some follow-up on his storyline. I wish someone would ask about our Penny and his damn cupcake of doom. That being said, Arjun Gupta plays this Penny, with a lot less angst. It is a subtle distinction that I actually really appreciate.i also really like Julia's new follower. She is really entertaining. I hope she gets a good storyline before something awful eventually happens to her.

I enjoyed the way they flipped Q and the monster. They teased that maybe Qs grief helps the monster grow a heart, but instead Q saw a little bit of value in destruction instead. 

The Alice story continues to bore me. At least she is out of her cell, but she still feels like she is in a holding pattern. 

• Love 5
17 minutes ago, festivus said:

Can't say I loved this episode. I'm not feeling Julia and Penny and I don't care about Josh's werewolf thing. Alice's story is still boring. Next week looks good though.

Yeah, I agree.  This and then Deadly Class afterwards, I wanted my two hours back.  It was kind of a dud night.

I continue to love this frelling show. Nothing really earth shattering happened in this one (well, Margo might have rocked Josh's world) but I enjoyed it it quite a bit, even if Kady and Dean Fogg didn't make an appearance.

I'm not sure if we're supposed to feel sorry for Plover or disgusted by him. Bit of both I guess. Alice remains my least favorite character on the show. I'm not sure why really. I've just never warmed up to her and I find myself looking at the computer screen when her scenes are on. They need to wrap this part of the storyline up soon. While I like the library, she's just taking up time in the storyline.

So, Julia is STILL a Goddess? And now she's got followers? Yay? I'm not sure how I feel about the Julia/Penny 23 arc but I'm down with it for now. I admit to being something of a Penny/Kady shipper but let's see where this goes.

The stuff with Quentin and Monster/Eliot was well done if a little slow paced. Appleman and Ralph have enormous chemistry together.

Yeah, Margo and Josh. That came out of left field somewhat but then again, I guess I can see it. So, Margo's a werewolf now? How exactly does that work on this show? It doesn't seem to be that much a problem...not like say, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" bad.

7/10

Edited by Philbert
  • Love 5

Not a super exciting episode, and not quite as great as the last few episodes, but I still really enjoyed it. I was glad to get more Josh and the return of his werewolf STD, and the other crap everyone is dealing with, in between the library and the Monster and the...

Poor Shoshanna the Naiad almost killed herself when her party ended permanently, but now she has a new goodness! Julia and Penny 23 had decent chemistry, and they were cute and kind of awkward, considering their history (or lack thereof) and I did like following up with them a bit more. I hope we see OG Penny soon though, he should still be kickin around the library. 

Margo really is a ride of die friend. She will sleep with you to help deal with your werewolf STD and probably just because she is down to hook up with her friends sometimes! That ended up being a pretty sweet way to deal with that whole issue, although I guess now Margo is a werewolf? I guess Margo wont be too bothered by killing some creep who needs killing! It was also sad that one of the reasons she was obsessing so much with Josh was because of Elliot and her horror over what happened to him. 

Q and the Monster/Darth Elliot plot with Quentin trying to deal with his dad finally dying was so sad, and did not quite go the places I thought it would. I can actually see normal Elliot doing something like this with Quentin to make him feel better, but knowing its actually this monster makes the whole thing extra sad. Dont you lie to him about Elliots soul dying, you asshole monster! Poor Quentin does not need this! 

Hale Appleman is so good,I could tell it was real Elliot the second we saw him, just by his expression and body language. Monster Elliot is awesome, but I need real Elliot back. I felt full stop relieved when we saw him again, even if he is apparently stuck in the passengers seat.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 4

I was this close to giving up on this season. Or at least watching with a lot of bitterness. Too many things were happening that I was just not here for.

Plover was back and making Alice work with him. Margo willingly slept with Josh and accepted becoming a werewolf. Julia got even more special. Still no update on Penny 40. Then to top it all off Eliot was dead? Nope, no way. I was not going to enjoy any of this. But it looks like Eliot isn't dead after all! Oh thank goodness. I hope they can wrap up the monster arc because they still need to deal with the Library and Irene and when will Margo's fairy eye come in to play?

Julia and Penny 23 are cute.

Arjun Gupta is a good actor. He's not on Tatiana Maslany's level, but he doesn't have to say a word of dialog and I can easily tell the Pennies apart just looking at their body language.

I don't think Q should be taking Darth Eliot at his word about anything.

Margo is a really good friend. Josh is very lucky to be Margo's friend. Not that I'm jealous, or anything.

Alice and Plover could be an interesting vehicle to explore guilt and redemption, but I doubt The Magicians will do that. They've been pretty haphazard about how they've dealt with Plover's crimes, and every rapist they've shown so far has been one-note and irredeemable.

Where was Kady?

What happened to Queen Marina?

Next week's episode looks wild!

• Love 1

The episode was.....ok, it seems like the show is sorta stuck in a holding pattern, like tptb are still setting up the pieces before the action starts. I know it's only been four episodes this season but it seems longer and not necessarily in a good way.

That being said:

I think I like "new" Penny more than "our" Penny

I actually like Alice but OMG!!!! just make her storyline go away!

Yay! Elliott's still alive.....maybe

And I never, ever, EVER thought I'd say this, but I'm shipping Margo and Josh (they could have cute little werewolf cubs hahaha)

8 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Margo really is a ride of die friend. She will sleep with you to help deal with your werewolf STD and probably just because she is down to hook up with her friends sometimes! That ended up being a pretty sweet way to deal with that whole issue, although I guess now Margo is a werewolf? I guess Margo wont be too bothered by killing some creep who needs killing! It was also sad that one of the reasons she was obsessing so much with Josh was because of Elliot and her horror over what happened to him. 

On the bright side, if there is any place that werewolves won't raise eyebrows, it is Fillory. She can just save a particularly righteous execution or politically expedient murder for the quickening. Problem solved!

She broke my heart when she brought of Eliot. I miss the Margo and Eliot adventures.

2 hours ago, steelyis said:

Alice and Plover could be an interesting vehicle to explore guilt and redemption, but I doubt The Magicians will do that. They've been pretty haphazard about how they've dealt with Plover's crimes, and every rapist they've shown so far has been one-note and irredeemable.

I am gonna be honest that I have no interest in redemption for Plover. He was so very confident that he didn't deserve bad things for doing bad things and that his actions weren't him. It sounded like a lot of justification to me. I suspect we will get some Alice redemption, but I wouldn't mind seeing Plover dropped in the middle of the vacuum of space. He engaged in repeated and systematic abuse. I don't buy that he just stopped wanting to do that on his own. He continues to say things like: kids don't mind if you contradict yourself. No thanks.

• Love 8

Poor Shoshanna the Dryad

Naiad, actually. :-) Shoshanna seems like a fun character, I'm happy to have the addition to the cast.

This was really a Josh-centric episode and I'm OK with that but it did feel like the  momentum was stalled, and Kady's absence was frustrating considering where we left her last week.

I was really shocked when the Monster said that Eliot was glad so I'm glad they have us that little snippet at the end to let us know it isn't true.

Don't kill Todd, Margo!

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 5

Summer Bishil and Trevor Einhorn just killed me this episode. Considering that American storytelling can be too plot focussed and sometimes truncate emotional arcs, the emotions they were able to bring to their roles were just so poignant and so on-point. And meanwhile Hale Appleman is still there just blowing me away every week. 

Apropos of nothing, I just found out that Trevor Einhorn was Frederick Crane on Frasier. Woah.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, toolazy said:

I'm okay with that.

That's my point, why even have him in the story when the show and the audience have zero interest in him existing? Plover's presence is a waste of time. It should be Penny helping Alice.

• Love 4

I didn't really see them together, but they work surprisingly well. Apparently their relationship stems from a throwaway joke from Season 2 that caused the showrunner to find herself shipping them.

Yeah and I remember that line because I just recently did a re-watch of the first 2 seasons. 

However, this raises some question about how Lycanthropy works in this world, because it was sort of a throw-away joke when we saw Josh in a cage back in Season 2. He was more or less transformed into werewolf form (although still acting and speaking normally, aside from "marking his territory" around the cage). Does Josh transform during the full moon? Does he lock himself in his cage every full moon? Does the Quickening not happen during the full moon?

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Yeah and I remember that line because I just recently did a re-watch of the first 2 seasons. 

However, this raises some question about how Lycanthropy works in this world, because it was sort of a throw-away joke when we saw Josh in a cage back in Season 2. He was more or less transformed into werewolf form (although still acting and speaking normally, aside from "marking his territory" around the cage). Does Josh transform during the full moon? Does he lock himself in his cage every full moon? Does the Quickening not happen during the full moon?

The Quickening only happens every 30 years with a particular lunar event per his discussion with the professor who gave it to him.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
41 minutes ago, The Companion said:

The Quickening only happens every 30 years with a particular lunar event per his discussion with the professor who gave it to him.

Exactly...which is why it seems odd that  Josh had this transformation/marking behavior (which may just be something that happens to those who have recently been bitten - there was no real explanation given), but then goes into full-blown quickening just a couple of years later. And the girl he had sex with, who initially denied having any strange behaviors, seemingly either goes directly into a quickening, or her initial symptoms (given that she was not caged for them) included a complete and gruesome kill (possibly preceded by sex?). In neither case did it seem that any significant length of time had gone by. It just all seems a bit haphazard. 

12 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Naiad, actually. 🙂 Shoshanna seems like a fun character, I'm happy to have the addition to the cast.

Neither, she's a Maenad. 🙂 Which in actual Ancient Greece just meant a female human worshiper of Dionysus/Bacchus, but here they appear to be supernatural beings created to serve him.

Which reminds me, I'd kill to be able to see the full "Genealogy of Nymphs" blackboard in the cryptozoology professor's classroom.

10 hours ago, AudienceofOne said:

Apropos of nothing, I just found out that Trevor Einhorn was Frederick Crane on Frasier. Woah.

Wow! Thanks for mentioning it.

19 minutes ago, Machiabelly said:

I think the quickening happens the same time for everyone.  Josh and the Uber lady just had unlucky timing.

Correct. It's a fixed event that happens every thirty years. Not something werewolves go through after every thirty years of being werewolves. Josh happened to be infected not too long before the Quickening was scheduled to occur. Margo doesn't have to worry about the Quickening for another thirty years because she was infected during this most recent Quickening.

Edited by Noneofyourbusiness
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 2/14/2019 at 6:27 AM, Kyanight said:

Yeah, I agree.  This and then Deadly Class afterwards, I wanted my two hours back.  It was kind of a dud night.

Agreed. Glad to know I’m not the only one who felt this. 

• Love 1

All I can say is hot damn with Margo in that blue dress. Tack on Julia getting oiled up and this was a "I'll be in my bunk" episode.

Considering all the crap Margo went through last season, I like her give no fuck's attitude this season, and always being one of the few Julia fans from the onset, I really like these last two season's for her since the actress gets to smile and laugh more.

• Love 5

The friendships are my favorite thing about the show and I really like that the show is continuing to give us new relationships. Even with people who had relationships in previous seasons (like Quentin/Eliot and Margo/Josh), they are changing and evolving. Poor Quentin has to look at a monster wearing Eliot's face/body and help him kill people/gods. Margo took her friendship with Josh to a new level, and I don't even mean the sex technically. The fact that she was willing to become infected with the werewolf virus in order to save him is something that I don't think he can ever forget/overlook/take for granted. Doing that for him will bring them closer.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Noneofyourbusiness said:

I had a dream last night where Billy was Quentin's dad. But also The Magicians and Deadly Class were the same show and Marcus and Quentin were one character.

I had a dream that someone replied to this and now it's disappeared.

21 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Considering all the crap Margo went through last season, I like her give no fuck's attitude this season

She did actually give a fuck this episode. 😉  But yes, I love Margo's attitude.  Being King has given her even more if a can do attitude.

The idea of Margo and Josh in a relationship is growing in me. Margo looked so happy with Josh. I love this show but this was a meh episode. 

i want to see our Penny, but it was good to get a glimpse of Elliot even if it was in the Brakebills version of prison or purgatory. If the writers decide to go with trapped in his own subconscious, I hope they do it well. 

Edited by AuntieMame
Because i autocorrect is literally insane.
42 minutes ago, AuntieMame said:

The idea of Margo and Josh in a relationship is growing in me. Margo looked so happy with Josh. I love this show but this was a meh episode. 

According to Trevor Einhorn from the "Making Magic" video posted above by @ElectricBoogaloo, the ship has been christened #MARGOSH.  😊

• Love 2

Those "Making Magic" videos (they're On Demand with my Spectrum cable) are great! There's a 10 minutes or so video that's kind of a carpool karaoke of "Isaac" picking up riders as an Uber driver. The different actors jump in the cab, as either their "normal" characters, or their 23 charactors or even just as their IRL selves. Very funny. I loved Fenn's bit!

Ok, I made a comment a few days ago how the show seems to be spinning its wheels a bit, all set up and no action. When I said that I just had dental surgery and was taking a lot of pain meds, so I saw the episode again and.......I'm torn. In some ways it's my new favorite episode, Julia and Penny were great and I love Shoshanna, hope she's a regular. And I'm shipping so so hard on Margo and Josh, I didn't think I could like Margo more than I already did. BUT......Quentin and MonsterElliot kinda bored me even though I like the storyline and Alice just has to go away because tptb took Charles Shaughnessy, who I had such a crush on when he was in Days of our Lives a million years ago and made him Plover! It's not fair!

• Love 1

I felt like I missed an episode or something this week. Other than Q and not-E, I felt lost in all the storylines.  Maybe I fell asleep towards the end of the last episode and don’t remember?  Or, from comments here, maybe not.

7 hours ago, mammaM said:

Ok, I made a comment a few days ago how the show seems to be spinning its wheels a bit, all set up and no action. When I said that I just had dental surgery and was taking a lot of pain meds, so I saw the episode again and.......I'm torn. In some ways it's my new favorite episode, Julia and Penny were great and I love Shoshanna, hope she's a regular. And I'm shipping so so hard on Margo and Josh, I didn't think I could like Margo more than I already did. BUT......Quentin and MonsterElliot kinda bored me even though I like the storyline and Alice just has to go away because tptb took Charles Shaughnessy, who I had such a crush on when he was in Days of our Lives a million years ago and made him Plover! It's not fair!

I was uh, feeling no pain when I watched this episode too. I haven't watched again yet but I don't think I'll change my mind as to it being boring. I'm not much of a shipper so I don't care about the romantic stuff. I will say that I love Margo making the hard choices and getting shit done. That's what she does. Hale is killing it as the monster but I'm ready to see Eliot again next week. He is the bright spark in the show. They need him. 

• Love 3