Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 1/28/2019

Jaded
  • Start Topic

4 minutes ago, CheezyXpressed said:

I'm going to break my non Meghan posts to comment on what she said.

During the interview with Pete Buttigieg, Meghan mentioned AOC, Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib and their views on Israel. For one thing, Ilhan and Rashida are Muslim so they're going to have different views on the topic, especially Rashida since I believe she's Palestine and her people are being killed, displaced and erased. The younger generation understand that speaking out against the atrocities that are happening in Israel doesn't mean that you're against Jewish people or against the people who live there. They're against the government's policies in getting rid of Palestinians. What does she want Rashida to say? Israel is great, let them continue getting rid of my people while I smile about it? And if you're black, then you have to contend with the fact that some of the Ethiopian Jews have faced racist attacks and some women have been sterilization. Speaking out about these issues doesn't mean you're against Israel and I hate that people like Meghan views it this way.

Also, Whoopi's rant against the younger candidates is stupid.

Megan is an idiot and does not understand complex subjects, everything is black and white.  

• Love 21
1 hour ago, CheezyXpressed said:

I'm going to break my non Meghan posts to comment on what she said.

During the interview with Pete Buttigieg, Meghan mentioned AOC, Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib and their views on Israel. For one thing, Ilhan and Rashida are Muslim so they're going to have different views on the topic, especially Rashida since I believe she's Palestine and her people are being killed, displaced and erased. The younger generation understand that speaking out against the atrocities that are happening in Israel doesn't mean that you're against Jewish people or against the people who live there. They're against the government's policies in getting rid of Palestinians. What does she want Rashida to say? Israel is great, let them continue getting rid of my people while I smile about it? And if you're black, then you have to contend with the fact that some of the Ethiopian Jews have faced racist attacks and some women have been sterilization. Speaking out about these issues doesn't mean you're against Israel and I hate that people like Meghan views it this way.

Also, Whoopi's rant against the younger candidates is stupid.

I’m Jewish and I find some of Omar and Tlaib’s comments troubling and anti-Semitic. I am definitely not a conservative. My issue with Meghan is that republicans say anti Semitic and troubling things too! Why doesn’t she question every republican why Republican congressmen keep meeting with a holocaust denier and one brought them to the State of the Union. 

Edited by choclatechip45
  • Love 17
3 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

I’m Jewish and I find some of Omar and Tlaib’s comments troubling and anti-Semitic. I am definitely not a conservative. My issue with Meghan is that republicans say anti Semitic and troubling things too! Why doesn’t she question every republican why Republican congressman keep meeting with a holocaust denier and one brought them to the State of the Union. 

I think it's fine if Meghan's issues were about the comments she found anti-Semitic and showed why it's like this. But she's not transparent and it seems more like she has issues with the newer crop of Democrats who are out spoken. There have been Republicans who have said horrible things about the Jewish people, but Meghan is ride or die for them unless they attack her father.

• Love 13
3 minutes ago, CheezyXpressed said:

I think it's fine if Meghan's issues were about the comments she found anti-Semitic and showed why it's like this. But she's not transparent and it seems more like she has issues with the newer crop of Democrats who are out spoken. There have been Republicans who have said horrible things about the Jewish people, but Meghan is ride or die for them unless they attack her father.

I agree with you the one time she did do that was with Tamika Mallory. Considering how many times she has defended the trump administration on this show attacking her father doesn’t seem like an automatic disqualification.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, HaaCHOO said:

I always took that as a self-deprecating remark...as if the all ladies at the table are veddy veddy riche, all living in Manhattan penthouses, servants, drivers, and just too good to deal with "little people."  Let them eat cake!  I never thought of it as bitchy--and because it's more clever than Barbara was...someone wrote that line for her.  I liked the line and the audiences always laughed.

I should clarify that I agree with the posters who can't agree with my statement because of Barbara's general demeanor/presentation.  I think this is one instance where she got some good laughs from a line and decided to use it every time the weather called for it.  For me, it was funny the first couple of times--sorta like, "Welcome to The View, Welcome to The View, Welcome to the View," and so on.

Edited by HaaCHOO
  • Love 4

@bannana

This was in the 1970s'ish.  So her view that Repub = anti-abortion is not completely accurate.  This is my understanding, anyone else know about this?

I think your understanding lines up with the facts -- whatever Meghan says, in the late sixties/early seventies,  plenty of Repubs were liberal on reproductive rights.  Reagan (as Gov of California)  signed a very liberal abortion act into law, and Rockefellar (NY state)  eliminated all restrictions on women pre 24 weeks. Nixon, Goldwater, Ford, and (as @RedheadZombie said) George H.W. Bush were all pro-choice.  As were the vast majority of Republicans; in a Gallup poll (1972) 68 percent of Republicans said they believed abortion to be a private matter between a woman and her doctor. 

So (once again) John McCain's Daughter -- political maven extraordinaire -- doesn't know what the hell she's talking about. 

2 hours ago, Haleth said:

Goodness knows we need a reason to be proud. 

cactus meme.jpg

Edited by film noire
  • Love 17
1 hour ago, CheezyXpressed said:

Speaking out about these issues doesn't mean you're against Israel and I hate that people like Meghan views it this way.

Meghan's is the view of many Evangelicals.  Many.  

• Love 12
On 1/31/2019 at 2:00 PM, film noire said:

As were the vast majority of Republicans; in a Gallup poll (1972) 68 percent of Republicans said they believed abortion to be a private matter between a woman and her doctor. 

Here is another memory because I was a Catholic school kid (1946-1958) and "educated" to be 100% anti-abortion and anti-Planned Parenthood--no gray areas, no questions.  Barry Goldwater and his wife, Margaret (Peggy), were instrumental in bringing the first Planned Parenthood chapter to Arizona.  "Margaret Goldwater advocated for birth control and reproductive rights in the United States during the twentieth century. Goldwater was a socialite and philanthropist and was married to Barry Goldwater, US Senator from Arizona. She spent much of her life working to further the women's reproductive rights movement, which sought to expand women's legal, social, and physical access to reproductive healthcare, including contraception and abortions. Goldwater, with guidance from birth control activist Margaret Sanger, helped establish the second birth control clinic in Arizona, the Mother's Health Clinic in Phoenix, Arizona. She conducted large fundraising events and authored articles in local newspapers on the need for contraceptives and family planning. Goldwater's advocacy helped launch and sustain The Mother's Health Clinic, which became the largest provider of women's reproductive healthcare in Arizona, and it later became Planned Parenthood of Central and Northern Arizona IN 1942."  How things have changed, Meghan.  That includes me.  Apparently no one has given you enough lessons in Arizona History.

Edited by HaaCHOO
  • Love 21

When I was growing up in KS in the 60’s) (and we are actually the middle of the Midwest!), and through college, I was a Republican.  At that time the party had many prominent members (e.g Nelson Rockefeller) who were progressive on social issues but conservative fiscally and, sometimes, militarily.  when newt Gingrich came along in the 80’s is when i saw the party shift dramatically to the right with the appeal to evangelicals and making anti abortion and anti gay issues prominent. At that point I had already moved towards the Democrats, but that shift ended it all for me with Republicans.  So the R’s were a very different party not that long ago.  And the points about Barry Goldwater and his wife are telling.  In the 60’s he was considered to be way far right but not that long ago his granddaughter noted (didn’t she write a book a few years ago,about those?) that he wouldn’t recognize today’s party as it has swung so right.  Big shift.  

• Love 18

Well apparently I’m not that strong to withstand the cold today because I turned down tickets for this show. I have bronchitis and there was no way I could stand out in the cold the way they make you do up to 45 minutes. 

OMG Again ITS not ABOUT you Megan! She’s looking like a couch lately. 

I also read The Views FB page and most comments were livid about her mentioning her dads death for the millionth time.  They call her Miss Piggy and MeGaHorn. They even have a DEAD DAD’S club there where if she mentions her dad, then that person gets added to the list. 

• Love 19

I grew up learning to swim/swimming in public (privately owned) pools, irrigation ditches, and canals...in not-quite-in-the-City of Phoenix in the late 40s/early 50s.  There were DEFINITELY germs AND perverts at our pools.  Meghan's 44yrs younger than I am.  There were probably MORE germs and perverts at Phoenix's public pools in her day...but I doubt she spent a minute there.  If she ever had to swim with "the public," it would have been the exclusive Phoenix Country Club.  

• Love 12
54 minutes ago, HaaCHOO said:

I grew up learning to swim/swimming in public (privately owned) pools, irrigation ditches, and canals...in not-quite-in-the-City of Phoenix in the late 40s/early 50s.  There were DEFINITELY germs AND perverts at our pools.  Meghan's 44yrs younger than I am.  There were probably MORE germs and perverts at Phoenix's public pools in her day...but I doubt she spent a minute there.  If she ever had to swim with "the public," it would have been the exclusive Phoenix Country Club.  

I took swimming lessons with my brother and since we were kids, I wasn't allowed to go to the change room by myself. My dad took us, so I'd tag along with him and change in the men's room. After a bit, my dad stopped talking us because it was just dicks everywhere in the change room and he didn't want me to see any of that lol. I don't really remember this, but the culture shock was too much for my African dad and seeing people just openly change in public.

I may not be a strong swimmer, but I can do a mean doggy paddle.

• Love 11
7 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

It was condescending of her to say that.  I think that Megan did not  go after the mayor because he is a veteran.  She sees herself in him like a typical narcissist..

Military service only matters to Meghan if they’re Republican.  I think she held back because he’s a member of the LGBTQ community.  It’s one of the few she has any compassion for. 

• Love 14

We all learned, and taught all the kids, to swim at 3 months.  Babies remember the amniotic sac and will hold their breath.  All the kids could swim by age 3 without any help and swim very well.  Of course adults were paired with the kids 1 on 1 for safety until the age of 5.  I really don't understand why people can't swim, accepting for traumatic experiences.  We always had a pool.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

You give Barbara a lot more credit than I do.  I remember reading an interview with her and she compared the View viewers to Wal Mart shoppers and it was not compliment.  I hated how she would explain things to the audience.  Like she didn't think we were smart enough to know what she was talking about.

With her arms outstretched before her as if she were Moses parting the Red Sea. I called them baboon arms. 

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, jumper sage said:

I really don't understand why people can't swim, accepting for traumatic experiences.

In large cities like NYC there's often no opportunity for the poorer kids.  My sisters and thought it looked like so much fun when we'd see "city kids" in movies and on TV playing in the rushing water of the fire hydrants.  We didn't know that's as close as they came to ever playing in water.

19 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

It’s one of the few she has any compassion for. 

I hope she does.  I'm probably too skeptical of any bit of human kindness she exhibits.

• Love 8

Man . Whoopi really carries a HUGE chip on her shoulder about the younger generation "respecting" the older generation. What's her damage?

ETA - I say this as someone who is approaching 50 near the end of the year... 

Edited by BodhiGurl
  • Love 15

Here's another point where our famous political pundint, analyst, Republican Spokesmodel, and born-to-it Her Political Smugness missed in her education: PORK!

She hates to see "pork" attached to any bill...and she/Sunny mentioned a few of things that want to travel with the bill to make voting day a national holiday.  Not one of them was "pork."  Ms. McCain, "Pork" is from "pork barrel politics."  Pork barrel is a metaphor for the appropriation of government spending for localized projects secured solely or primarily to bring money to a representative's district.   No $$$ attached to the items mentioned.

Also, news for Mr. McConnell.  A "national holiday" provides days off for more workers than simply those employed by the federal government.  MANY MORE WORKERS.

• Love 19
2 hours ago, jumper sage said:

I really don't understand why people can't swim, accepting for traumatic experiences.  We always had a pool.

Well-not everybody had a pool growing up or family members to teach them (or throw them in the deep end like McCain's dad) Also, many black people did not learn to swim because they were denied access to public pools and bodies of water. It still happens. Not being able to swim often has to do with socio-economic reasons.

1 hour ago, HaaCHOO said:

In large cities like NYC there's often no opportunity for the poorer kids.  My sisters and thought it looked like so much fun when we'd see "city kids" in movies and on TV playing in the rushing water of the fire hydrants.  We didn't know that's as close as they came to ever playing in water.

I didn't see your post when I made mine. My husband has a well educated white friend who said something about black people not being able to swim because of something about the makeup of their bodies. He really believed this. My husband thoroughly schooled him on why black people often can't swim, but it is shocking how many people don't get this.

Also-did I hear Meghan pushing back on Sunny's mom's assertion that there were perverts at the pool? Because didn't she just last week tell a story about being mistaken for a prostitute at a fancy resort pool? Does any one of us believe Meghan has ever seen or used a public swimming pool?

Edited by GiveMeSpace
To add third paragraph
  • Love 17
50 minutes ago, GiveMeSpace said:

I didn't see your post when I made mine. My husband has a well educated white friend who said something about black people not being able to swim because of something about the makeup of their bodies. He really believed this. My husband thoroughly schooled him on why black people often can't swim, but it is shocking how many people don't get this.

I never understood that stereotype because in the Caribbean where I am from Black people know how to swim.. We are surrounded by the ocean and we have lots of rivers and waterfalls.  

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, GiveMeSpace said:

My husband thoroughly schooled him on why black people often can't swim, but it is shocking how many people don't get this.

My parents grew up in the projects and made it a point to scrimp and save for a pool.  Back in the 1970s they would have swim mobiles come to each street in the summer and swim class was required in high school.  We do live in the Detroit area and the lake is a bike ride a way. 

Didn't Sunny's mom come from Puerto Rico?  Maybe I am mistaken.  How does one live on an island and not swim?  Maybe it was discouraged because of ocean tides and such?

1 hour ago, GiveMeSpace said:

Does any one of us believe Meghan has ever seen or used a public swimming pool?

Ummmmmm, no.

Edited by jumper sage
  • Love 10
4 hours ago, jumper sage said:

We all learned, and taught all the kids, to swim at 3 months.  Babies remember the amniotic sac and will hold their breath.  All the kids could swim by age 3 without any help and swim very well.  Of course adults were paired with the kids 1 on 1 for safety until the age of 5.  I really don't understand why people can't swim, accepting for traumatic experiences.  We always had a pool.

My brothers and I were enrolled in swim classes.  One time, one year.  But I had a bad infected wound on my elbow, so suddenly I was not allowed to have lessons.  Later, I would go swimming with my brothers in our pond on our farm, which was very deep.  They almost accidentally drowned me by trapping me under a raft.  It was traumatic.  Even with all of that, I love swimming, I love water, I love the ocean.  I go to the pool five times a week.  My favourite thing is swimming in the ocean.

I have met people like Joy who just never want to be in the water, even a pool.  My mother was like that.  I just don't get that, but that is a thing.  There are people who go to Hawaii and never enter the ocean.

• Love 7
42 minutes ago, jumper sage said:

Didn't Sunny's mom come from Puerto Rico?  Maybe I am mistaken.  How does one live on an island and not swim?  Maybe it was discouraged because of ocean tides and such?

Check small talk for my answer to this. :)

• Love 1
3 hours ago, GiveMeSpace said:

Does any one of us believe Meghan has ever seen or used a public swimming pool?

Am I the only one who believes she did--at least see one?  Meghan, age ten in a private jet flying to Phoenix from D.C., "Daddy, look down, look down!  Whose pool is THAT?  It's bigger than ours!"    Daddy:  "Honey, that's Coronado Pool, where all the poor children swim together.  It's called a city pool, and it's not THAT much bigger." 

• Love 9
5 hours ago, bannana said:

My brothers and I were enrolled in swim classes.  One time, one year.  But I had a bad infected wound on my elbow, so suddenly I was not allowed to have lessons.  Later, I would go swimming with my brothers in our pond on our farm, which was very deep.  They almost accidentally drowned me by trapping me under a raft.  It was traumatic.  Even with all of that, I love swimming, I love water, I love the ocean.  I go to the pool five times a week.  My favourite thing is swimming in the ocean.

I have met people like Joy who just never want to be in the water, even a pool.  My mother was like that.  I just don't get that, but that is a thing.  There are people who go to Hawaii and never enter the ocean.

I went to Hawaii and never went in the ocean.  Lol. I did however put my feet in the sand by the ocean. 

• Love 7

Meghan every football game has a halftime.   They do not always include a musical performance. 

I agree with Joy and Ana.  Support artists that you feel supports what you believe. For me personally I'm looking at Maroon 5 a little differently now.

• Love 19

I'm kind of disappointed to see Whoopi there on a Friday. Damn it.

4 minutes ago, rickhurst3186 said:

Ana is wonderful!

"Damn girl you're flexible!" Lmao, love her and totally agree with what she said about supporting the artists who support what you believe in.

• Love 11

Okay Whoopi may irk my nerves at times but I damn near gave her a standing ovation when she said to Abby, "that's after 8 years, by the way." BAHAHAHA. As if Trump swooped in and he's the reason people have food on the table, LOL. Whatever Abby. And then Meghan bringing up SNL? Wtf? Her and Abby should've sat this one out.

Edited by Alexis2291
  • Love 14
5 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

February sweeps has begun so Whoopie has to be there. 

If ABC is worried about ratings then imagine if they announced that ELSA was being canned in favor of a human being like Ana or any of our pets as well as Abby and Whoopi - the ratings would skyrocket.

I am only saying this because it was talked about the donation that Maroon 5 and the NFL are making well call me cynical anyone can say they are going to make a donation to a cause and then never write the check like some people we know and you can guess who I am talking about

I remember initials on sweaters and jewelery - we know the M stands for Meghan or McCain but all of us know that the M stands for ME ME ME and MY VIEWS not yours

Elsa saying authentic and being authentic is a bad tone to Booker well you B we know that you are authentic because we all see you as the worst human being to sit at the table.

Have a great weekend

• Love 15
23 minutes ago, Tunia said:

Meghan accuses Cory Booker of being inauthentic?   Mmmmmm-k.

I wish someone would mock her on SNL so she can see how ridiculous she looks. Then again, she might think she's more important than she is if they did that so never mind.

Edited by Alexis2291
  • Love 14
Just now, Apprentice79 said:

I remember reading that during sweeps Whoopie has to be there due to her contract. 

If that is true then someone is under the delusion that Whoopi brings in viewers.

1 minute ago, rollacoaster said:

Here in America, we don't go chasin' no waterfalls...

But we do go rollin' on the river.

• Love 16
3 minutes ago, Alexis2291 said:

I wish someone would mock her on SNL so she can see how ridiculous she looks. Then again, she might think she's more important that she is if they did that so never mind.

OMG. Megs would cry and screech and demand "SNL apologize to her and her family because HER FATHER......."  awww, never mind.

• Love 20