Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E14: Kalamazoo and a Bad Wedge of Brie

paulvdb

Lots of laughs, Jill has great lines ( best one - needy isn’t a good color on you - to Christy, sooo true!!!!) and Tammy is hilarious! Tammy and Bonnie are fun together!   Would have liked more of Jill and Andy? and less needy Christy but the “ incident “made up for it.  

• Love 14

Very good episode tonight.  Kristen Johnston is a great addition.  So funny.  I hope Jill ends up with the cop for a while anyway.  Christy's storyline was pretty funny too with her sponsor who I thought we would be seeing more of this season.  The addition of "Tammy" may have limited the sponsor storylines.  

• Love 10

I like Andy the cop on his own, but I am beyond tired of the storyline (or, you know, entire premise of a show) in which a stereotypically attractive woman gets with a man who doesn't at all meet his gender's hallmarks of desirability.  Until we start seeing the reverse, I'm pretty well done with the cliché.  And I never love playing damsel in distress to attract a man.

Otherwise, though, I enjoyed the episode.  I've been bad about remembering to watch, so there's an extent to which I only follow the continuing storylines via comments in this forum, but I was able to jump right back in.  I loved the group of them in bed.

• Love 13

That was a great episode. I’m glad the finally brought back Christy’s sponsor to give her some tough love. Plus Marjorie still being bitter was a nice callback. 

Tammy has become a great addition. Letting Kristen Johnston take on the comedic role that used to fall entirely on Allison Janney has made Bonnie into a better character. 

I really like Jill and the cop together.

Now it would great if Wendy could get her own storyline. 

38 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I like Andy the cop on his own, but I am beyond tired of the storyline (or, you know, entire premise of a show) in which a stereotypically attractive woman gets with a man who doesn't at all meet his gender's hallmarks of desirability.  Until we start seeing the reverse, I'm pretty well done with the cliché.  And I never love playing damsel in distress to attract a man.

Great point. They could make up for it by giving Wendy a hot love interest. 

Great ep! 

Jill and the cop talking in the kitchen alone and Jill devouring the sandwich

Christie relegated to sleeping on the floor then jumping under the covers

The sponsor explaining to Christie that she needs to stop seeking approval from everybody

Never thought of Adam as HOT, though. The cop was just as attractive as Adam and a better personality. 

• Love 3
14 hours ago, LucyEth said:

Very good episode tonight.  Kristen Johnston is a great addition.  So funny.  I hope Jill ends up with the cop for a while anyway.  Christy's storyline was pretty funny too with her sponsor who I thought we would be seeing more of this season.  The addition of "Tammy" may have limited the sponsor storylines.  

I wax and wane on Tammy as a character, but the way she was included in the story last night was perfection.

2 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Never thought of Adam as HOT, though.

I do, but then, I love William Fichtner in anything.  But I liked Will Sasso's character a lot and hope we see him again.  I loved him and Jill bonding over their divorces.

• Love 12
13 hours ago, Bastet said:

I like Andy the cop on his own, but I am beyond tired of the story line (or, you know, entire premise of a show) in which a stereo-typically attractive woman gets with a man who doesn't at all meet his gender's hallmarks of desirability.  Until we start seeing the reverse, I'm pretty well done with the cliché.  And I never love playing damsel in distress to attract a man.

I hear what you're saying. :-)  But the good thing is, when given the choice between remaining alone and having the company of a nice guy that's not "model perfect," Jill went for the latter option.  And being a much shorter version of Will Sasso myself...well...it gives guys like me hope, you know?

Funniest episode in quite some time, I really enjoyed it.  Poor Christie, she's just a bundle of neurosis, isn't she?  I'm really pulling for the character, but she just doesn't seem to be getting any better.  Even worse, Bonnie and everyone else in her circle (other than the Sponsor) seem oblivious to that.

• Love 5
On 2/1/2019 at 1:14 AM, Dani said:

They could make up for it by giving Wendy a hot love interest. 

Great idea! I know this is a cliche but it would be awesome and funny. Wendy has a new boyfriend, but no one believes he exists. She can show them pictures, but the group will say it's photoshop and what not. They keep missing him/each time they are about to meet him he cancels last minute. 

Edited by Sarah 103
  • Love 4

The somewhat average looking guy with a gorgeous woman is a trope that I could live with if we ever got to see its counterpart. And try as I might I can't think of a good example right now. That said I did enjoy Andy and Jill together, they have an easy chemistry and I loved their squirrel talks. 

Tammy won the episode with 'We'll see' - the delivery and Bonnie's reaction were hilarious.

On 1.2.2019 at 7:14 AM, Dani said:

Tammy has become a great addition. Letting Kristen Johnston take on the comedic role that used to fall entirely on Allison Janney has made Bonnie into a better character. 

That's a great observation. I think the writers and the actress needed a bit of time to figure out what to do with Tammy that's why she was so over the top in the beginning. Now everybody seems to have a better handle on the character and it pays off.

This was also a very illuminating episode for Christy. Her constant need for approval is probably her core issue. And although she thinks it's an advantage her cuteness has only enabled and reinforced certain unhealthy patterns. She gets away with a lot due to her looks. I wonder if the show is willing to dig deeper there.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, possibilities said:

If they give Wendy a hot boyfriend, I want him to be real AND I want to see him on screen. Otherwise, it will just reinforce the one note nature of everyone dumping on Wendy.

Yes. I’d love if he just showed up one day and everyone is surprised before it comes out she told them months ago but of course no one listened to her. I love those moments when they realize that they should have paid attention to Wendy. 

5 hours ago, possibilities said:

If they give Wendy a hot boyfriend, I want him to be real AND I want to see him on screen. Otherwise, it will just reinforce the one note nature of everyone dumping on Wendy.

To clarify my earlier comment, he would be real and the audience would see him and know he is real, but the other characters would keep missing him.  For example: Jill is having a party at her house. Wendy and her boyfriend plan to go to the party. Last minute, he has something work related come up so he can't attend. We see the two of them together talking about this someplace (the location doesn't matter. What matters is that none of the other characters see him). 

Edited by Sarah 103
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

To clarify my earlier comment, he would be real and the audience would see him and know he is real, but the other characters would keep missing him.  For example: Jill is having a party at her house. Wendy and her boyfriend plan to go to the party. Last minute, he has something work related come up so he can't attend. We see the two of them together talking about this someplace (the location doesn't matter. What matters is that none of the other characters see him). 

Maybe a doctor she works with. That would give good reasons for him to keep getting called away or having to work longer shifts.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, YupItsMe said:

Maybe a doctor she works with. That would give good reasons for him to keep getting called away or having to work longer shifts.

I'm thinking a mafia hit man who doesn't want to be seen.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
On 2/2/2019 at 6:21 PM, Sarah 103 said:

That would be fun, especially if his name was Aloysius (which is the name of the original snuffleupagus)

• Love 2
On 2/2/2019 at 8:01 AM, MissLucas said:

The somewhat average looking guy with a gorgeous woman is a trope that I could live with if we ever got to see its counterpart. And try as I might I can't think of a good example right now. That said I did enjoy Andy and Jill together, they have an easy chemistry and I loved their squirrel talks. 

Tammy won the episode with 'We'll see' - the delivery and Bonnie's reaction were hilarious.

That's a great observation. I think the writers and the actress needed a bit of time to figure out what to do with Tammy that's why she was so over the top in the beginning. Now everybody seems to have a better handle on the character and it pays off.

This was also a very illuminating episode for Christy. Her constant need for approval is probably her core issue. And although she thinks it's an advantage her cuteness has only enabled and reinforced certain unhealthy patterns. She gets away with a lot due to her looks. I wonder if the show is willing to dig deeper there.

On 2/2/2019 at 1:17 PM, possibilities said:

On 2/2/2019 at 6:21 PM, Sarah 103 said:

If a guy like the cop can get rich cutie than a woman like Wendy should be able to get a great looking guy and there really no need for suspending disbelief. Wendy is a nurse and a nice lady. I hate the way tv shows and movies make out that if you are not a raving beauty no one will look twice at you.

As for the inverse of hot gir/ schlubby guy, I really can’t think of an example. Some people thought Dan was too good looking for Roseanne but he was hardly  a hunk. Others used to comment that Ray or Mike Heck was much better looking than Patricia Heaton’s Characters but that too is not nearly on the same level of looks disparity you see with guys.

I can think of an instance. One week on her 1980s show CAROL AND COMPANY, Carol Burnett was ardently pursued by (then very young) Peter Krause, playing her son's college roommate. "I've got *shoes* older than he is," Burnett's character, a widow, observes dubiously to her best friend, played by Meagan Fay.

On 2/10/2019 at 4:03 AM, wendyg said:

I can think of an instance. One week on her 1980s show CAROL AND COMPANY, Carol Burnett was ardently pursued by (then very young) Peter Krause, playing her son's college roommate. "I've got *shoes* older than he is," Burnett's character, a widow, observes dubiously to her best friend, played by Meagan Fay.

I didn't see it but I think age difference is different than shlubby and hot.  Carol Burnett was an attractive woman.

On 2/10/2019 at 7:46 PM, sleepysuzy said:

It's about 15 years ago, but Craig and Nancy from Days of Our Lives were a great couple to turn the tables on the aforementioned trope. He was a doctor,  too. https://goo.gl/images/Ydnzbn

I think this is closer to what we have with Andy and Jill.

There was also Jefferson and Marcy on Married With Children.

And Mindy Kaling had some very conventionally hot, buff love interests on The Mindy Project.

Not that Mindy Kaling or Amanda Bearse were ugly, of course...but neither is Will Sasso.

• Love 3
On 2/6/2019 at 3:18 PM, qtpye said:

If a guy like the cop can get rich cutie than a woman like Wendy should be able to get a great looking guy and there really no need for suspending disbelief. Wendy is a nurse and a nice lady. I hate the way tv shows and movies make out that if you are not a raving beauty no one will look twice at you.

As for the inverse of hot gir/ schlubby guy, I really can’t think of an example. Some people thought Dan was too good looking for Roseanne but he was hardly  a hunk. Others used to comment that Ray or Mike Heck was much better looking than Patricia Heaton’s Characters but that too is not nearly on the same level of looks disparity you see with guys.

And the funny thing is, I see good-looking guys with average women all the time IRL. Either me or my sister will say to the other "she's the reacher in that relationship!"

Yes, we are shallow, catty bitches. 

Also, IMO Patricia Heaton is an attractive woman. I think she's better-looking than Ray Romano and pretty evenly-matched with Neil Flynn.

• Love 2