Type keyword(s) to search

Worst Cooks In America - General Discussion

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, Koalagirl said:

As far as the upcoming season, Nicholle Tom portrayed the oldest daughter on The Nanny for those of you who watched the series. 

I've watched more than my share of episodes over the years and I still wouldn't know her if I fell over her, LOL.

8 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Isn't Nichole Tom the younger sister of Heather Tom (from one of the CBS soaps I think Y&R)? 

I know who Jodie Sweetin is, but I have no clue what she looks like now. 

I believe they are sisters.  Jodie looks like an older version of her childhood self. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Isn't Nichole Tom the younger sister of Heather Tom (from one of the CBS soaps I think Y&R)? 

I know who Jodie Sweetin is, but I have no clue what she looks like now. 

Nichole Tom was also the eldest daughter on 'The Nanny' in the 90's.

• Love 1

Yup Nicolle must leave first and then this will be a watchable season. And not to be shallow but she hasn't aged well. I've come to realize I did not watch TV in the 90s. As far as people I recognize, I hope the final is Jodie vs Tracey. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Grizzly said:

Yup Nicolle must leave first and then this will be a watchable season. And not to be shallow but she hasn't aged well. I've come to realize I did not watch TV in the 90s.

Nicolle is the ditzy, loud blonde?  I was ready for her to leave after the first 5 minutes.  The only one I actually liked was Matthew and maybe the woman who is fat and unattractive but sounds like she might have a few brains in her head.  I had never heard of a single one of these "stars" and I never watched any of their TV shows.  I did see Mrs. Doubtfire but I don't remember anyone except Robin Williams.

There's a lot of hugging going on.  I wonder when this was filmed.

• Love 2

What's with Mark and Eliza trying to lift up Anne?  Some people need to learn about boundaries.  I was trying to figure out people's current ages as some seem really young but if they were young when on their t.v. shows in the 90s it makes sense that they're still fairly young (well, comparatively...).  I think some of them have some potential.  I am liking Jeff thus far as he seems easy going while at the same time being a good teacher.  I thought his meatloaf lookedamazing (and may have to put meatloaf on the menu this week).

Nicholle seems a bit much and she was the one with whom I was most familiar (having watched the Nanny).  

I enjoy the celebrity version of this show so am in for the season.

• Love 3

When I first saw Mark on this show I wanted to not like him but as the episode went on he grew on me.  I think he was so excited his reaction was to pick Anne up.  I'm shocked that was allowed to happen with her. 

The only one I can't tolerate is Nicolle.  She is obnoxious and I think it's all an act with her with her over the top behviour. I hope she is gone next week. Seeing everyone else, they seem to want to learn how to cook and learn.  I hope Matthew gets more confidence.  I like the Anne and Jeff team.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

What good, basic first dishes to teach them. 

Yeah- honestly, for me this episode really demonstrates the promise of what this series (celebrity or regular) should and could be.  This is a show that could do a lot of good for people by demystifying the process of simple, home recipes and cooking techniques.  Like, if these people can chuck a meatloaf together, anyone can.  Even the areas where they went “extra” were at least teaching skills- no one needs to dice carrots for mixed veg when you can just get it frozen, but it’s great knife practice.  It’s a shame that so much of the series gets taken up with silly parlor games and gross out gags, because I think they could still have a funny, entertaining, informative show without the aggressive jokiness.  I know FN probably doesn’t see it that way, but I think they can have their comedy cooking show, and make the idea of cooking more accessible at the same time.

• Love 7

I watched parts of this episode and while I think it will be better than the most recent season that just ended I think it scarred me for life and just can't bear this show anymore.  Plus I barely know who a couple of these people are and don't care that much about them to watch.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I watched parts of this episode and while I think it will be better than the most recent season that just ended I think it scarred me for life and just can't bear this show anymore.  Plus I barely know who a couple of these people are and don't care that much about them to watch.

Yeah I could only get through about 10 minutes of this show it was just too much silliness and gags and I barely knew who anyone was either...

2 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

Yeah I could only get through about 10 minutes of this show it was just too much silliness and gags and I barely knew who anyone was either...

I actually think it has less silliness and gags so far than last season but still I just can't with this.  I feel like it's the same thing over and over and it's lost its point for me.  Maybe if it came on less often but all these seasons back to back are too much.  Also, most of the shows these people were on were aimed at kids and I was in my 30s in the '90s.  I do remember the girl from the Nanny, though!

Agree, meatloaf + mashed potatoes are a good basic family/home meal to be able to put together.  I don't think they necessarily have to be served on a school cafeteria segmented platter.

I can't imagine the embarrassment of trying to heft up the host (who has 50 pounds on you,) then collapsing to the floor with her so that her ass is completely exposed and has to be concealed by a very large emoji.  And the editors left all that in?

Either Ann's a better sport than I would have guessed or else she has no control at all over production and someone really enjoyed seeing her sprawled on the floor with her skirt hiked up.  Rude.

• Love 4

Ahem… that’s “How Rude.” 😁

I think Elisa just got carried (ha ha) away with the running joke that Mark started - it just backfired spectacularly for her.  As for Anne- I wonder if it wasn’t quite the… exposure that the show implied.  I can certainly see the editors slapping that graphic on there whether it was necessary or not, just for the joke.  Either way, she must be something of a good sport to keep doing this show.

• Love 1
On 4/24/2022 at 8:10 PM, SilverLake0315 said:

Enjoying Jeff so far. Several times he made a face or reacted exactly as I was at that moment 😂

that's the best part of this "revolving door" of new chef partners for Anne, their initial reactions seem genuine to the contestant's lack of skills.

• Love 4

I can't stand this show, but my mom hate watches it and I was at my parents' house Sunday night, so I saw that episode.  I don't even know who the other host is, let alone most of the celebrities.  I recognized Tracey Gold right away, realized Mark was the guy from Road Rules once he introduced himself, and needed the redhead from Clueless to introduce herself, too, even though I've seen that film at least a dozen times -- I didn't recognize her at all.  The rest I've never seen in anything and, other than Jodie Sweetin, have never even heard their names.

As for Sweetin, I don't know why this stuck in my head, since I never watched Full House, but I remember reading that she heavily abused drugs and alcohol for something like 15 years.  She looks lovely and healthy for someone who put her body through so much, so I was pleased to see that.

Other than the over-dramatic blonde, this episode was not as unbearable as most I've sat through over the years.  The new co-host is a lot, though.

• Love 1

I found this article about this celebrity season, which confirmed my impression of Tracey Gold's cooking -- she cooks regularly and doesn't make disasters, she's just very limited.  I was rather surprised she was the last picked; I actually thought she'd be first, since she knows how to cook, she just has no culinary imagination.

This is touching:

“Worst Cooks” provided a moment of triumph for Gold. The actress has been open about battling anorexia in the ‘90s. She says she didn’t want her recovery to be the focus, but acknowledges her eating disorder came to mind.

“I was proud of myself,” she says. “There was definitely a time in the early ‘90s I couldn’t have even participated in the show, because I couldn’t taste anything. Anne Burrell and Jeff Mauro, their main things when they are talking to you is, ‘You gotta taste, taste, taste.’ So I was tasting all the time. I couldn’t have done that back in the day. So, it was a victory for sure.”

That article reveals this was shot back in June.

Edited by Bastet
  • Useful 3
  • Love 6

I didn't get to watch all of this episode, but my God what is up with Nicole Tom?   Is she on something?   She was acting really strange.  

Anne's always seemed to have a thing for the "hunky" guy.  It's one of the roles filled from Central Casting almost every season and the guy always seems to end up on Anne's team.  So it wouldn't surprise me if she was ok with Mark's antics.  

• Love 2

I was impressed with how well most of the contestants did with the steak oscar.  I think most of the contestants were calmer this episode with the exception of Nicole.  I can't pinpoint what it is that bothers me about her-maybe it's because it seems like she is over the top due to thinking she is being cute (so very intentional).  I am starting to like several of the participants but think I will also tire of Jeff before the end of the season.

• Love 2

I think a few of these contestants have some training or at least home experience. Jodi stands out to me as someone who has cooked before. Nicholle was a little less annoying this episode, but is still way over the top. 

• Love 3

So close to Nicholle being gone.  Watching the second episode I think she is hamming it up for the cameras which makes it worse.  For me, she is just unlikeable, which I bet she makes it to the end.  Maybe next week since the blue went home this time.  I really like the other cast on this show. Lori Beth is hiarious. It will be sad when each one of them go. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I was at my parents' house again last night and my mom said she'd record it and we could put something else on, but I decided to give it another go.  We bonded over how we cannot stand the s****** double ditz (Nicholle, I guess - I still haven't learned the names of the ones I'd never heard of).  Acting dumb is never cute or funny, and I know the whole show is predicated on it, but she's just so extra with it.  Other than her, and the co-host a bit, this isn't as bad as some of the versions I've tried to watch over the years, so maybe we'll stick the season out together.

The guy with glasses and reptiles is cute, and was funny when he was talking about having to go up against Mark in any sort of physical challenge.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, Superclam said:

I think a few of these contestants have some training or at least home experience.

I think so, too. I noticed that after Tracy (Tracey? Traci?) Gold asked how to know when her sauce was thick enough, she then went on to run her finger down the back of her spoon to see if it left a trail. That's something you'd only know if you'd cooked before--probably a lot.

ETA: Sorry--if I'd read @Bastet's post about her above, I wouldn't have had to go all Sherlock Holmes on her cooking experience. And I'd've known how to spell her name.

Edited by Mondrianyone
  • Love 3

I thought that steak oscar seemed complicated for newbie cooks but at least it wasn't live lobsters like on previous shows.  

At the beginning of the first episode, I thought Mark was going to be a real PIA.  As it turns out, I like him.  I liked Curtis too and was surprised he was sent home instead of Nichole who really is a PIA.  

• Love 6

It's amusing to me how few of these people yall seem to know. I knew all of them by name except for Chris and Mark. I never watched Road Rules and I never even heard of The Parent Hood. I'm enjoying this season. I agree that Nichole can be a bit much at times, but, for the most part, I find her funny. I actually find Anne the most annoying, but that's nothing new. I usually find her annoying. As far as the contestants go, I always loved Full House and Fuller House, so I'm cheering for Jodie, but also want to see Tracey, Matt, and Elisa be successful.

• Love 4
On 5/2/2022 at 2:49 PM, Bastet said:

I was at my parents' house again last night and my mom said she'd record it and we could put something else on, but I decided to give it another go.  We bonded over how we cannot stand the s****** double ditz (Nicholle, I guess - I still haven't learned the names of the ones I'd never heard of).  Acting dumb is never cute or funny, and I know the whole show is predicated on it, but she's just so extra with it.  Other than her, and the co-host a bit, this isn't as bad as some of the versions I've tried to watch over the years, so maybe we'll stick the season out together.

The guy with glasses and reptiles is cute, and was funny when he was talking about having to go up against Mark in any sort of physical challenge.

The guy with the glasses, Matthew Lawrence, was married to Cheryl Burke of Dancing with the Stars until their recent divorce.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but this season is really fun to watch.  Jeff and Anne are great together.  Their humor meshes well and they’re snarky enough that it gives the show a fun / funny edge.  The 90s celebs are not idiots like we’ve seen on some past WCIA (I had to check out of those seasons - I could not believe what I was seeing and hearing).  And with Jeff and Anne mentoring these cooks, I am actually learning something.  Tonight was a schnitzel which I’ve never ventured to make but Jeff and Anne made it so doable.  It’s funny - without meaning to be, this is one of those “stand and cook” shows that I’ve missed.  

• Love 6
12 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but this season is really fun to watch.  

Same. I normally don't have the patience or appetite for pure silliness and stupidity, but this season seems like a balanced mix of silly and serious. Maybe the celebrities are faking it (they are actors after all), but they seem genuinely into the contest and I also like the quick demos of dishes. 

I have really liked the celebrity version of WC far better than the "regular" contestants who are just so OTT stupid and ridiculous they make the show unwatchable. The celebrities sometimes surprise me with how likable they are. Couldn't stand Vanilla Ice when he was the thang back in the 90s, but on WC he was pretty awesome. 

This season, I'm actually kinda liking Jodi Sweetin and I could.not.stand her on Full House. And Tracey Gold just seems super sweet. I hope it's her and Jodi in the final. But there's also nobody I'm actively rooting against, so that also makes it more enjoyable. 

• Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, potatoradio said:

Same. I normally don't have the patience or appetite for pure silliness and stupidity, but this season seems like a balanced mix of silly and serious. Maybe the celebrities are faking it (they are actors after all), but they seem genuinely into the contest and I also like the quick demos of dishes. 

I have really liked the celebrity version of WC far better than the "regular" contestants who are just so OTT stupid and ridiculous they make the show unwatchable. The celebrities sometimes surprise me with how likable they are. Couldn't stand Vanilla Ice when he was the thang back in the 90s, but on WC he was pretty awesome. 

This season, I'm actually kinda liking Jodi Sweetin and I could.not.stand her on Full House. And Tracey Gold just seems super sweet. I hope it's her and Jodi in the final. But there's also nobody I'm actively rooting against, so that also makes it more enjoyable. 

Agreed.  This group of celebrities is a good bunch -- they're actually trying hard without putting on an airhead act like some in the past have clearly felt they needed to do to ramp up the amusement (not).  Nicholle probably comes the closest to being too scattered, but I think that's truly how she is.  

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, MerBearHou said:

Agreed.  This group of celebrities is a good bunch -- they're actually trying hard without putting on an airhead act like some have clearly felt in the past they needed to do to ramp up the amusement (not).  Nicholle probably comes the closest to being too scattered, but I think that's truly how she is.  

The more I saw of Nicholle on this show, the less I believed that she was just hamming it up or trying to be cute. I agree that's just how she is. Each episode she was a little less manic, so I wonder if she just struggles with new situations and it takes her awhile to adjust. As someone who still hates being thrust into unfamiliar social settings myself (though my technique is to be as unobtrusive as possible), I get it.

Jodie's probably my favorite so far - she's got a very lowkey, dry humor about her. But they've all got their charms, and are all so very, very normal - more so than the "regular" casts. Love little bits like last week, Mark asking another contestant why Nicholle was using lime juice on her apples and being all "ohhh that makes sense" when they told him why, and the Blue team this week whispering to each other that Jennie needed oil on her bread so it wouldn't stick to the grill. It's bits like this that, while it might indicate that some of these folks are in no way the "worst", it also shows that they're into the cooking aspect rather than just the camera time.

And good god, I've never seen a season where every one of the final dishes looks perfectly fine and more than edible. They all really seem to get it.

I never watched the show before, celebrity or otherwise. I recognize some of the names but was busy being out and about as a 20 something year old when most of their TV shows were on. I agree that all seem likeable, and I'm glad Nicholle has calmed down a bit. I have a soft spot for Tracey Gold as her show was one I caught occasionally and I remember her struggle with anorexia.

I enjoy the recipes, they aren't too complex and I've actually made some notes to try myself someday.

I would be happy with any winner. No clue who Lori Beth is but she's a hot ticket!

• Love 2

I'm in the minority. All of the contestants, with the exception of Traci and Lori Beth, seem like they are incapable of thinking for themselves. Almost everyone was having nervous breakdowns trying to make avocado toast. I haven't seen this kind of mania about such a simple "dish" in any of the seasons I've watched.

Some of the food combinations they come up with are strange. They may not know how to cook but have they eaten food? The chefs are being really generous with their critiques. There is no world where a brat would taste good with cheese, pesto, and sundried tomatoes.

I wasn't familiar with Jeff Mauro so I looked him up. I think he's thriving here because he has culinary teaching experience. Plus, he didn't use ketchup on his meatloaf which automatically makes him good people in my book. He seems like a mix of Jimmy Fallon and Paul Reubens in the best way. I usually don't like male hosts on FN because they're usually arrogant, suffer from toxic masculinity, or both, but he seems pretty relaxed and down to earth.

When Anne pulled out the mandolins, I groaned. There's no way these people should have been exposed to that thing especially Nichole. Anne mentioned she's never had someone cut themselves on a mandolin which seems inaccurate?

This season seems more bonkers with the lack of culinary experience and general lack of adulting, but I still like how silly this show is.

25 minutes ago, Catfi9ht said:

He seems like a mix of Jimmy Fallon and Paul Reubens in the best way.

This made me laugh so hard. Then I thought about it and I have to ask, do you mean in appearance or in personality or both?

I did chuckle when Jeff kind of disbelievingly muttered to Anne "you're having them use mandolines?"

Oh, I also have a question for all. I definitely use a knife with my finger out (red finger time!], but this morning I looked at my hands while chopping an onion and lo and behold I didn't have a finger out. Not a thing I was consciously doing.

Anyone else have moments like this?

58 minutes ago, grandmabegum said:

This made me laugh so hard. Then I thought about it and I have to ask, do you mean in appearance or in personality or both?

Both. I want to emphasize I said Paul Reubens and not Pee-Wee Herman, but I have no doubt he could easily pull off Pee-Wee as a Halloween costume/impression. 😂

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, Catfi9ht said:

Both. I want to emphasize I said Paul Reubens and not Pee-Wee Herman, but I have no doubt he could easily pull off Pee-Wee as a Halloween costume/impression. 😂

I would bet 10 servings of avocado toast that Jeff has already done this very thing at some point in his life.

21 minutes ago, grandmabegum said:

Oh, I also have a question for all. I definitely use a knife with my finger out (red finger time!], but this morning I looked at my hands while chopping an onion and lo and behold I didn't have a finger out. Not a thing I was consciously doing.

Anyone else have moments like this?

I noticed I extend my finger when my knives need sharpened. If they're nice and sharp, there's little resistance so I don't need the extra finger power so my hand will naturally lay in the proper position.

I'd guess the average home cook probably has a similar issue or is using the incorrect knife like I used to. When I was younger, I could only afford one and it was the cheapest one, the pairing knife. I ended up using that knife for everything which is embarrassing thinking back on it, but I didn't know any better.

It's the main reason I watch this show. I was never given any cooking 101 knowledge and all my skills are by trial and error. I like learning "the proper way" and the reasons behind culinary choices and traditions.