Type keyword(s) to search

Worst Cooks In America - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 9/13/2023 at 10:24 PM, HyeChaps said:

And what was up with that stupid twist that made them change the entree at the last minute?

Well, if Anne really did dream up that dish with the giant shrimp on top of succotash on the spur of the moment, it was a huge misstep.  Why would anyone serve a shrimp that large, intact with head and shell, in a deep bowl where there is no place to discard the shell shards and that big googly-eye whiskery head?  What were they supposed to do--lay that stuff on the table?

• Like 5

I thought the last couple of finalists were all pretty decent cooks who had either come a long way or had some secret cooking skills that they hid in earlier episodes.  I actually liked the blonde on the blue team (whose name has already escaped me) and her partner (Allegra), but think Jessica was definitely the last one standing on the blue team.  Sami had been crushing the competition for the last couple of weeks (how did Etherio make it that far - eye candy?).  

I wish Jeff wouldn't mug for the camera so much and that both judges would actually be shown doing more to teach the contestants to cook.  There must be a lot more they aren't showing - these contestants seemingly are learning knife skills out of the air...LOL!

TLC and Food Network are all owned by the same parent company (Discovery Channel).  Didn't even occur to me to question Randy's presence.

Edited by RoxiP
  • Like 2

A new season of WORST COOKS IN AMERICA premieres Sunday January 7, 2024.

For Season 27, series mainstay Anne Burrell will once again be leading the Red Team and this year she’ll be joined by a new rookie mentor.  The one and only Tiffany Derry will be guiding the Blue Team.  The winner will cook a three-course restaurant quality meal for a panel of judges, including Matt Abdoo, Adrienne Cheatham and Michael Jenkins.

• Sad 1

For Season 27, Worst Cooks in America sees a group of recruits who are exactly what the title implies: they are spoiled rotten. From mama’s boys to people who only know to use an app on their phone, these are folks who have never set foot in a kitchen because they just haven’t wanted to.

In other words, these people don't even try to hide the fact that they're jerks. 

• Sad 3

Oh Tiffany, how could you take that guy on your team? He needs to go, he is seriously delusional. I imagine his facility tells him he's "helping" the psychiatrist. And Tiffany also took the orange chicken guy. I might have to root for Anne's team. I like Eddie Money's daughter (Jesse) and Mikaela. 

• Like 2

This cast doesn't seem quite as manic as some recent ones.  They seem to be a bit older overall so maybe that's why  - and a good thing.  

I totally understand missing the paper on the sliced cheese.  I did that once myself.  Once.

I actually thought the two men were the right choices at the end wrt possible potential but I was very surprised they were both chosen.  I don't think Tiffany is one to put up with a lot of nonsense so she'll probably settle Serious down some.  (Who names a kid Serious?!  That has to be something he decided to call himself.  Doesn't it?)

It seems to me that Tiffany must have known what this show is like before she started but she's doing a great job of acting amused and astonished.  I'm really enjoying her.

• Like 3

I did watch it last night, just for the paper in the burger scene.   I'm mean I guess.   I'm hoping the contestants are faking it, but I'm afraid they're not.   How can Anne and Tiffany eat that slop?  

• Like 1

Was there a time when contestants applied for this show to actually learn how to cook, or has it always been filled with those who are thirsty for attention of media 'fame'?

24 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

Was there a time when contestants applied for this show to actually learn how to cook, or has it always been filled with those who are thirsty for attention of media 'fame'?

On one of the early seasons, maybe first, there was a contestant named Josh, I think, who was a lawyer. He applied because he really did want to learn to cook. He posted on TWoP and said he was continuing to further his cooking skills.

• Like 1
  • Useful 4

I must be starved for content because I actually enjoyed the first half last night. Finishing it tonight and I'm sure I'll come to hate the famewhores soon enough but I found it diverting enough last evening.

• Like 5
28 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

On one of the early seasons, maybe first, there was a contestant named Josh, I think, who was a lawyer. He applied because he really did want to learn to cook.

Joshie.  He was in season 2 and I think he was ADHD.  I loved him.  And he won.

The first two seasons had real people and the show went slowly downhill from there then picked up speed until we ended up where we are now.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, mlp said:

The first two seasons had real people and the show went slowly downhill from there then picked up speed until we ended up where we are now.

And the mentors used to let the real people decide what they wanted to make for their final meal with input from the chef. I liked that much better.

I did enjoy the chemistry of Anne and Tiffany, though.

• Like 3
(edited)

I loved Joshie!    He was obviously a beginning cook, unlike the ones now that seem to be performers.   (HOwever, after reading Yeah No's post, I no longer give a rat's patootie about Joshie.   )

When they had the cook off, I couldn't believe the two contestants that stayed, and I think it was because they were good TV characters.    The two who were sent home were much quieter, and weren't good for TV ratings.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 3

Unfortunately I think Joshie was yet another one of FN's poor choices from around that time (Remember Lennie, the so-called self professed chuckwagon cook that won Food Network star?).  After Joshie's win I followed him on Facebook and soon found him to be extremely aggressive, insulting and nasty to anyone that posted anything he didn't agree with.  Even when not responding to anyone in particular he posted the most negative, vile and toxic posts, insulting anyone that believed in God, calling them stupid, etc.  It got so bad I stopped following him.  Then several years ago around 2016/17 an ex girlfriend posted an x-ray of her shattered skull that he was responsible for it and he took down all of his social media.  There were several Reddits and posts on forums from people saying they had very negative experiences with him ranging from arguments to sexual harassment to outright physical abuse.   Then I found a weird account on X with his name and photo on it and one post of his girlfriend's shattered skull X-ray where he takes full responsibility for being a serial abuser and sexual harasser that got away with it until recently.  Of course there is no proof of any of this, but some of those accounts on that one chat board were very believable and made very thoughtfully.  After what I witnessed with my own eyes I tend to believe them.

It's too bad.

• Mind Blown 6

Yike!!!!  I didn't kniow any of that about Joshie.  I'm really disappointed because I liked him (now past tense).

• Like 3
9 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I remember Anne really liked Joshie. As I mentioned before, he posted on TWoP and I don't remember him saying anything that would raise red flags. 

He was a regular contributor to a skeptic chat board and those that only knew him from that board were surprised too, but several people posted on a thread to say that they had first hand experience with him that wasn't too pleasant.  Not that this makes the allegation made (supposedly) by the girlfriend true, but it's at least true that he could be very caustic and abusive with people on his own social media page and might have made some enemies in the process, and some of his behavior I witnessed myself. 

I find it interesting that there were pages of discussion on on that skeptic chat board made by some pretty die-hard scientific skeptics and even many of them were believing the girlfriend's charges especially after hearing the first hand experience of others they knew and trusted on that board (like the technical administrator who had met him at events, and the global moderator who says the OP of the thread is someone they know and should trust) to support that he was engaging in some pretty nasty and questionable behavior offline.  It's also suspicious that he took down all of his social media after that and has not had an online presence since then, other than that weird page on X in his name where he calls himself an abuser that got away with it "until recently".  Unless that page in his name is a fake, who knows?

That board gets interesting here on p. 9:

https://sguforums.org/index.php?topic=49375.120

Here's a Reddit where some people corroborate what I saw for myself on Facebook:

Anne's team had the advantage of all materials on their station but half of them presented raw chicken! That tomato prep must have been a time suck since no one on Tiffany's team had that issue.

• Like 1
(edited)

Home sick, and I decided to watch Sunday's episode. The famewhores recruits, production, everything is just  painful. Tiffany is the only reason to watch to the end. 

Thank goodness there are tons of other things to watch Sundays at 8, because I won't continue with this mess. Not that I bothered recording it. 

Edited by Salacious Kitty

I haven't been able to watch any full episodes yet, but it is sounding like I needn't bother. I like Tiffany, but if she is the only reason some are watching...what does that say about the show?? I'll try this Sunday for a whole episode....

I fast-forward through the stupid competition at the beginning.  It adds nothing except to add to the slapstick comedy.  This saves me a half hour or more.  I agree with everyone that they are choosing contestants by their personality and how outlandish they can be rather than wanting to learn to cook.  

• Like 2
  • Applause 2

I've either seen too many seasons, or this crew is particularly annoying (Serious), but I care considerably less than I usually do. Agreed that the stupid obstacle courses in the beginning are the worst part. I like the demonstrations from the chefs and then the tasting at the end. I'd like the show much more if it only lasted an hour. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
(edited)
On 1/22/2024 at 12:42 PM, chessiegal said:

I tried to watch this. I don't think I lasted 5 minutes. And I've watched past seasons.

I tried  this past Sunday, for the first time this season. I used to like this show in the very beginning days. Contestants were people that really wanted to learn to cook. This show was so annoyingly loud, over the top, and no one really seemed to give a hoot about cooking other then to get their 15 min of fame on TV. 

I won't be watching any more of this season and if it continues like this, any future seasons. 

Edited by Gramto6
typo
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

I won't be watching any more of this season and if it continues like this, any future seasons.

I gave it up after one episode last season and never looked back (except for reading here to see if it's stayed as stupid as it was). Life goes on.  👩‍🍳

• Like 1

I think it's the over-the-top trying to be famous contestants who have ruined this show.  Oh, and the 'games' at the beginning.  The actual cooking demonstrations and judging are good as Anne and Tiffany give good guidance and criticisms.  Fortunately, I record this so am able to fast-forward quite a bit.  And, so far, two of the contestants who were very 'look at me' have been eliminated (Steve and Joey); but we still have several to go...

It's really a shame that the producers have ruined what was a good idea.  I guess with the demise of the Barnum and Bailey and Ringling Brothers Circus the producers thought there was a void that they could fill with willing clowns...

• Like 5

What?! Jesse took a risk, made a good dish but it didn't go together. Erika served raw chicken. But Jesse is the one to go home? Thank goodness, Serious was finally sent home. He was so ungrateful for the opportunity with his no hugs goodbye.

• Like 4

Every season like clockwork when they have the "team captains leave them alone in bootcamp but secretly watch on closed-circuit TV" challenge, a lot of the cheftestants mention how easier and less stressful it is to cook in bootcamp when Anne isn't physically there to watch them and yell. Maybe that's something Anne should think about.

• Useful 1
8 hours ago, Grizzly said:

He was so ungrateful for the opportunity with his no hugs goodbye.

That was really obnoxious. I'm glad to see him go. 

8 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Jesse took a risk, made a good dish but it didn't go together. Erika served raw chicken.

Very telling to me that I've been watching all season and still don't remember their names. 

So,  I only watched the first hour this Sunday....was the second hour the Finale? I just couldn't make myself watch any more.  Oh well, nothing lost in my book...

The problem for me was that the total attention seeking participants had all of the camera time to the point I forgot about the lower-key participants.  I thought this episode (even though it seemed like it would never end) was much more enjoyable because I no longer had to sit through the antics of Serious, Twirly Joel, the magician and others who really weren't as entertaining as the producers apparently thought they were. 

I enjoy the cooking demonstrations and watching how the participants translate those cooks.  I do not enjoy constant 'look at me' antics.

I was glad Sarah (?) won as I enjoyed her more than others.

• Like 2
(edited)

Serious was one of the more annoying contestants in recent memory, along with the magician. I got the feeling that Stacey the winner was not a "worst cook" but had experience at least cooking at home. 

Edited by Mr. Sparkle
Stacey not Sarah
  • Like 1
(edited)
On 1/8/2024 at 4:37 PM, seacliffsal said:

While recently recuperating from surgery, I decided mindless television was the key to my recovery, and part of that was watching some of the early season episodes of this show.  I recognized that the very first winner, Rachel - who was a walking, talking Brooklyn hipster stereotype (I'm so cool I purposely style myself like a dork) - indeed parlayed her "fame" into being a Z-list commentator on one of those shows VH-1 used to do -- I Love the [Decade] looks back on what was popular year by year. 

I remember with each group in the early seasons, TWoP posters would find at least one who had a website promoting their acting work and including this show on their reel (and I think at least one person had already been on another reality show).  But - especially with the show being an unknown in season one - I think most did at least have "fame" as a goal, not the goal; they did seem to want to learn (coming from a place of I'm an adult and it's pathetic I can't properly feed myself/my family), they just wanted to do so by getting to be on TV rather than paying for lessons.  And while cast, of course, for their type, it seemed they were that type in real life, not playing what became one of the show's regular assigned roles.

By season two, things are inevitably different.  The tired "I need to learn to cook so I can catch myself a man" character first popped up then, but it took a while to really get going (and get assigned each season to a Black woman, in order to be even more offensive).  The ditzy old lady character that became a seasonal regular turned up early, too.  But it still took several seasons to go off the rails to where everyone was playing a character, so it felt like a collection of extras plucked from Central Casting, with no one able to pull off seeming genuine.

I think it had completely jumped the shark well before season 10 (maybe whatever season had the awful Alina as the winner), and here it's still going after nearly 30 seasons.  I'll still hate watch a celebrity season if I actually know who a couple of the contestants are, but other than that I can't with this shit (as the kids said years ago; my slang is always behind the times, but I like it [I still say groovy]).

On 1/8/2024 at 5:46 PM, mlp said:

I couldn't stand him, and was rooting for Georg, which all came back to me as soon as I watched the season two premiere.  But I had to check myself then and now on my reaction to his name -- plenty of grown men walk around known as Danny, Bobby, Ricky, etc. so I had no right to be annoyed by Joshie as a moniker for someone not a toddler.  (Even just within that season, if I have no issue with Georgann being Georg, why am I fussing about Joshua being Joshie?)  When I learned about the domestic violence, though, I was free to be all in with my dislike for his later-disbarred ass.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 3
14 minutes ago, Bastet said:

When I learned about the domestic violence, though, I was free to be all in with my dislike for his later-disbarred ass.

Joshie. ^^^  Yeah, I was disappointed when I heard about all that and I lost all respect for him.  I did like him during his season though.

• Like 3