Type keyword(s) to search

Worst Cooks In America - General Discussion

• Start Topic

15 hours ago, Leeds said:

This show would be so much better if they dropped the stupid graphics and uninformative talking heads.  Imagine, we'd actually see more cooking on a cooking show.

Like when we were there watching the first few shows and it was showing us that we were watching the art of cooking. 

• Love 1

Finally finished this, but I have to say, I actually enjoyed it! I think Jeff is the perfect goofy balance to Ann's drill sergeant bit. I hope he stays - he fits this show like a glove!

I really didn't care who won, but I do think Jodi deserved it slightly more. Oh well, this show is dumb so I'm not too worked up about it.

• Like 2
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

Could someone tell me who Darnell Ferguson is?  I have never heard of him.

Darnell is on FN a lot.  I really like him.  He's young, tall, very personable, African American.  We'll see how he and Anne work together.  I am hopeful.  Jeff Mauro struck a good balance with her when they co-hosted WCIA but that's the most "balanced" I've seen Jeff on any show -- I actually like Jeff, but he has a tendency to get too wound up and "aren't I funny?" for me.  

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Like 7
1 hour ago, HyeChaps said:

He won a Thanksgiving Challenge a few years ago. He was in the Tournament of Champions. He has been a judge on Guy’s Grocery Games. He cooked at Guy’s ranch. 

Yes, Darnell beat Alex Guarnaschelli on TOC.  It was a wow moment.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2

I'll watch partly out of habit and partly because I like Darnell but I have no interest at all in D and F list "celebrities."  I don't understand why TV shows keep trying to make people from YouTube and other media happen.  Aren't they competition?  They must think these people I've never heard of will attract young viewers.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Thanks for filling me in on who Darnell is.  At least he is known to many Food Network watchers.  I will watch the season (usually do) and maybe try to catch Darnell's appearance on one of shows mentioned above so that I will have an idea of who he is.

From a paleontologist TikToker and pop culture trendsetters to the Louisiana woman who went viral after using Gorilla Glue in her hair, the cast is filled with larger-than-life personalities who are determined to win “likes” for their improving cooking skills.

I would stare at a blank wall for an hour before I'd watch this.

• Like 1
  • LOL 7
44 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I would stare at a blank wall for an hour before I'd watch this.

I will tune in for a few minutes and see how tolerable this is, but with these idiotic types of "celebrities", I may not be able to make it through even one show.  TBD.

The Gorilla Glue hair lady -- really?????

• Like 2
1 hour ago, MerBearHou said:

The Gorilla Glue hair lady -- really?????

This is me yelling at clouds, but yeah, apparently you just have to do something stupid today and you can have a "career." I've done so many stupid things in my life, and nobody ever asked me to be on a show. 

• LOL 3
10 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

He won a Thanksgiving Challenge a few years ago. He was in the Tournament of Champions. He has been a judge on Guy’s Grocery Games. He cooked at Guy’s ranch. 

He's also in competition with Nick Canon for numbers of children sired. 

• Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, Maverick said:

He's also in competition with Nick Canon for numbers of children sired. 

I didn't know that (I've liked him as a chef on the few programs I've seen, but know nothing else) -- eight kids!!  But it seems he's had all of them with the same person, his wife (or is at least raising all of them with her), so can be a consistently present parent.  That doesn't negate the disgusting contribution to the global overpopulation crisis, of course, but is at least different than the Nick Cannons of the world on the availability and attention front where spawn is scattered across so many households no one parent could properly be involved.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
On 12/9/2022 at 6:58 AM, Superclam said:

I wonder why they haven't had a host last more than one season in years.

My guess is that that keeps it The Anne Show, with her guest host . . . whoever it is this season. If someone were to repeat, then that person would be a co-host and share top billing, and I don't think that's an option.

I also agree with what was said above (sorry, too lazy to go back and look) that this show is a perfect fit for Jeff Mauro. Too bad he won't repeat as co-host, 'cause he's just great at it.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
On 12/9/2022 at 11:48 AM, HyeChaps said:

I thought he got his start on TV as a frequent competitor on GGG.  It was because of his status as a champ. on GGG that he went on to the Thanksgiving challenge and then became a contestant on Tournament of Champions.

On 12/9/2022 at 2:44 PM, mlp said:

I'll watch partly out of habit and partly because I like Darnell but I have no interest at all in D and F list "celebrities."  I don't understand why TV shows keep trying to make people from YouTube and other media happen.  Aren't they competition?  They must think these people I've never heard of will attract young viewers.

I actually skipped a season of this but I'm so desperate for anything familiar at this point that I may give this a look, although "social media personalities" turn me off already.....

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I thought he got his start on TV as a frequent competitor on GGG.  It was because of his status as a champ. on GGG that he went on to the Thanksgiving challenge and then became a contestant on Tournament of Champions.

I actually skipped a season of this but I'm so desperate for anything familiar at this point that I may give this a look, although "social media personalities" turn me off already.....

That's how I remember it in regards to Darnell. I didn't know that he had so many kids though. 

The only person participating in the new season of Worst Cooks that I've even heard of is super glue lady and that's from someone who's not a complete stranger in regards to social media.

Here's the summary for the first episode...

Viral Sensations: Culinary Clickbait

Chefs Anne Burrell and Darnell "Superchef" Ferguson welcome 12 technically savvy but culinary challenged recruits to their cooking boot camp. Before picking teams, Anne and Darnell kick off the competition by having the recruits make their signature dish to show off their skills -- or lack thereof -- in the kitchen. Then in the Main Dish challenge, the recruits learn a unique way to cook chicken -- under a brick! After assessing everyone's skills, Anne and Darnell choose their teams.

Apparently on the same night of the first episode of the season there will be will be something called "Worst Cooks in America: The Hottest Mess Awards". I can't remember if this has been done before or not.

It's an award show unlike any other as Worst Cooks in America celebrates the funniest culinary mishaps from all 24 seasons. From the biggest flames and worst dishes to host crushes and butchery breakdowns, we applaud the very best moments and their comical results.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2

Darnell deserves better than co-hosting Worst Cooks: YouTube/Twitter Edition.

The only 'viral celebrity' I've even the slightest notion who they are is the dumbass woman that used Gorilla Glue on her hair, went to the emergency room, and used the fame to sell and market her own hair products. 

• Like 3

I watched "The Worsties" show afterward and I must say:   

the woman who lost control and left Anne sprawled across the floor like roadkill--was robbed.

That was the only event I specifically remembered from the 47 seasons I've watched, although the awkwardness of that woman crushing on Bobby Flay was painfully familiar.

Last night was somehow exactly the same, yet much worse. Just about every stereotype we've come to expect, and a full spatchcock segment in the first episode. The two "wacky" white guys were the worst. 

I did enjoy the awards episode. Of course, Gina won for that. 

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Superclam said:

Last night was somehow exactly the same, yet much worse. Just about every stereotype we've come to expect, and a full spatchcock segment in the first episode. The two "wacky" white guys were the worst. 

I did enjoy the awards episode. Of course, Gina won for that. 

There was some really bloody undercooked spatchedcock  chicken on some of those plates, but no mention of it.

Okay, I admit it-I watched the first episode (did not watch the 'awards' show).  Unfortunately, my biggest take away is that the show is rewarding people for the worst of behaviors.  Gorilla Glue woman threatened lawsuits over the fact that she super glued her hair and it 'ruined her hair' which was totally her fault.  Then Nick proclaims that he is famous for his videos in which he 'puts a wig on, goes somewhere, and steals something.'  He should not be on this show, he should probably be in jail, but noooooo he is being rewarded for having viewers of his crimes.  Too much grandstanding (more so than usual IMO) and nonsensical actions and screaming.  Me, me, me.  I liked the Moira Schitt impersonator (because, well, Schitt's Creek).  The dinosaur hunter wasn't too bad.  I liked the puppet person but that could quickly change.

I think the show is trying to lure the social media presenters' viewers, but I may not be able to finish the season.  Yes, I expect over the top stupidity when I watch this show but it seemed like they really had to work around the quirkiness and kookiness to even piece this episode together.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

My Fubo TV has previous seasons stored so I ended up watching the first three episodes of Season 1. They had normal people! Who are likeable!

What's happened with this show is that it is cast for "types" and the contestants end up being caricatures of specific "types." You never know who they are as real people because they are too busy portraying a stereotype.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

So how has someone whose whole schtick is putting on wigs, stealing stuff, posting it on YouTube and now talking about it on TV not been charged with crimes? And why would someone watch such videos?

• Like 5

I really hate this cast, and I hate the "internet famous" theme. I still like the cooking lessons, and the actual cooking. I'd like this show a lot more without the half hour or more of stupid games in the beginning. 

• Like 9

Actually enjoying Daryl and how he rapport with his team.  But really don't like those silly games up front.  Reminds me of Hell's Kitchen and I don't like it when they do those stupid games on that show.

• Like 1

I just feel uncomfortable with this cast.  At one point it identified Chris (maybe that's his name) as having already collected four spatulas from the show which is making it "cute" that his notoriety is that he puts on a wig and steals from businesses.  I am very uncomfortable with the show making "excuses" or cute comments for what is really not acceptable.  I was sorry to see Adam go as even though he may have emphasized his puppets too much, he basically seemed harmless and pleasant-unlike much of the cast.  I tend to enjoy this show but am really not sure if I want to watch this entire season.

• Like 6
3 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I am very uncomfortable with the show making "excuses" or cute comments for what is really not acceptable.

I was sorry to see Adam go as even though he may have emphasized his puppets too much, he basically seemed harmless and pleasant-unlike much of the cast.

I agree with the first comment.  I also don't think FN should feature people stupid enough to put super glue in their hair.  Most of the cast are ridiculous at some level but those two really annoy me.

Adam was the only normal person in the bunch and I was rooting for him.  I watched his video about making the Chef Anne puppet and it was interesting and not at all goofy.  I hated to see him go but that pork was pretty bad.

• Like 2

I can't with this group of "recruits". We always snark that contestants or participants on reality shows are just after influencer clout so I guess they thought we want to see these people. The theatrics and overemoting, each trying to be the funniest, loudest, most noticed.....

• Like 3

This show has been scraping the bottom of the barrel for several season, but for this cast the bottom of the barrel has rotted out and then they dug won several feet.   I have no idea who these people are, but if they're really "famous" for shoplifting and being dumb enough to crazy glue their hair then casting is casting (and fame rather than infamy) is pretty sad.

• Like 8

I don't know why they can't just have regular people who want to be on TV, or even stars from 80s sit-coms, instead of this bunch. I'm a big defender of this dumb show, but this group of trying-too-hards is pushing my patience. 

• Like 9
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Superclam said:

I don't know why they can't just have regular people who want to be on TV, or even stars from 80s sit-coms, instead of this bunch. I'm a big defender of this dumb show, but this group of trying-too-hards is pushing my patience. 

Yeah, I also often feel like an apologist for this show- but I don’t think I can do it this time.  In general I honestly don’t mind when we get the “celebs,” or if the “regular people” they cast are actually out of work comics or rejects from other reality shows.  At least they usually have some idea of how to be entertaining.  Or like the drag queens last time- that’s at least a type of performance training they could draw on.

What exactly is it about supergluing your own head, that makes you interesting when you’re not actively doing that?  And shoplifting (in a wig or otherwise) doesn’t make you an entertainer- it makes you a criminal.  And, recording yourself doing it probably makes you a sociopath.  Is this really what I’m missing by not having TikTok or instagram???

The only person on this show who seems to be an actual human is the dinosaur lady- it’s a shame we couldn’t get her on a different season.  As is, I think I’m just going to delete these episodes without watching, and hope they find a decent crop of ex-sitcom stars for the next run.

• Like 7

I prefer to see regular, every day folks on these competition shows. I don't identify with the celebrities or wanna-be celebrities. I'm not really fond of having previous contestants come on another season unless the entire cast is previous contestants. It's more relatable to me to see ordinary people do these things and succeed. Maybe I could do the same thing? That kind of inspiration.

• Like 3
On 1/10/2023 at 6:30 PM, Mondrianyone said:

I watched maybe the first ten minutes of show one and decided I'm out for this season. I'm losing enough brain cells just naturally via the aging process. I don't have to help things along by watching these morons.

Haha, I could have written this!  I was even willing to be more forgiving this time since backing out of "Married at First Sight" but just couldn't go through with it.  I watched the first 10 minutes too and deleted it from my DVR schedule.

Only one I like this season is NaJe'   I hope she wins it all and I don't jinx her lol.  I normally like a few but this season the contestants are awful.  

They could have just picked regular people and not social media people if that is who they are.  A guy  with ghosts, guerila glue lady, a guy who wears a wig and steals.  I'm betting if you had the show with regular people vs the crap they have now the regular people would get higher ratings.

• Like 3

I kind of like the short girl, dinosaur girl and Paris, who at least knows he's over the top. I really don't like the Robin Williams ripoff or the gorilla glue lady. I actually like the wig-stealer, but I can't respect what he does, so he can go home. 

• Like 2

I usually cringe when I hear the word "influencer" so what surprises me the most about this season is that I don't hate most of them.  Collectively, they're ridiculous and too loud but, individually, they're mostly tolerable.  I actually get a kick out of Paris who pretty much defines OTT.

This week I was wishing they could send both of the women on the bottom home.  I can't think of either of their names right now but the one who went home always had her hands in her hair so I was glad to see her go.  The smaller one is too hyper and I can't stand her voice so I hope she goes next.  

• Like 3

I haven't watched this show in awhile, but I checked it out for Chef Darnell Ferguson. Even though this show isn't great, I'm glad he's making it on the network.

Annoying contestants aside, I love watching him teach. He's got such a calm demeanor and interacts well with the contestants.

The rest of the show seems way too forced though. 

• Like 5