Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E08: Day 9: 6:00 PM-7:00 PM

Tara Ariano

Jack and President Heller put themselves through hell in order to stop Margot Al-Harazi from going through with any more attacks; at the same time, Kate takes drastic measures to find Margot's hideout, while Jordan finds himself in a life-or-death situation.

Um, why wasn't the clock silent? Is Heller not dead somehow? Why wouldn't the clock be silent for him?

Agree!   No silent clock for Heller = I don't believe he is dead.   

however, best part in an otherwise boring episode. 

• Love 2

Great. Wembly. Now the Brits are really going to be pissed.

Yeah, I don't think the British would appreciate that.

Heller proved why he shouldn't have been president but doing something unbelievably reckless.  But it made for a very good episode and the actor was terrific.  The score was outstanding too.

I laughed at the hilariously inept hitman sent to kill Jordan.  You usually only see that kind of bumbling from law enforcement on 24.

I think helping her father to blow up should officially end any chance of Jack and Audrey getting back together.

(edited)

Favorite part of the episode: Jack digging out the transponder from Heller's arm...and then closing the gaping wound with a Band-Aid.

Edited by Guest
(edited)

The show has never actually depicted the actual President buying the farm.

Spoilered just because:

Keeler, in Air Force One that got whacked by the stealth fighter: Found at crash site in coma, actual fate not disclosed during season.

David Palmer: Wasn't President at the time.

Wayne Palmer: Had a stroke, but condition was not disclosed further.

Heller's resignation technically meant that he wasn't President... though they're also in a weird limbo, since the VP doesn't actually know what's going on and hasn't been sworn in.  And of course, who is Vice President Evil going to be?  They're always a little odd on this show.

The whole scenario is totally ridiculous, but I do think that Sutherland and Devane did a good job with it.  I ended up supplying previous incidents in my mind (Season 2, Season 3) even if I didn't think that the characters themselves would discuss it.  (Actually, I thought that they had a great chance to mention S2's plane ride at one point in the dialogue.)

Jordan: I suppose you figured out that Navarro sold you out only after you made that phone call?  Because I was hoping he wouldn't be stupid about it and would call Kate instead.  Also, Left The Safety On is really, really, really worn out as a trick... especially when Jordan surprised a guy who had his gun drawn and was clearly ready to kill him with it.  (It would have been funnier if Jordan had pulled out Incompetent Assassin Guy's backup gun right then and there and shot him with that instead.)

Kate: Didn't go with the tac team, which made me wonder if the house was going to explode spontaneously when the minimal-lines extras got there.  It actually seemed weird that she wasn't doing something, but on the other hand this was one of the show's occasional moments of a person actually not having that much to do for a while.  Then again, she had to be around to keep an eye on Simone.

...who didn't die on the table—yet?  The track record for people in her position surviving isn't too good either.

The random dude with the helicopter looked familiar.

Giant Misfit:

Favorite part of the episode: Jack digging out the transponder from Heller's arm...and then closing the gaping wound with a Band-Aid.

Yeah, that made me laugh.  Jack makes a gory one-inch incision, slaps on a band-aid, and then no more blood comes out.  Also, they're lucky the transponder isn't doing anything more complicated like also reporting the President's pulse in real time.  (That would be something, they'd have to take it out and immediately stick it into somebody else.)

Edited by WhoAmIWorkingFor

I'll go way out on a limb to speculate that Chloe somehow, at the last second, was able to feed a fake image and target destroyed message to the Terror Fam. 

This is exactly what I figured happened. Why else show Chloe in that tense moment?

• Love 2

I don't think Heller is dead.  I think Chloe was able to do something at the last minute.  They'll play along like Heller is dead, so to not tip of old Margot.  

Not sure if the analyst is dead.  Wouldn't his turning up dead cause more questions than if he were pulled off to work on something else?  Like reassign him to something else that is super de duper urgent, say the audit can wait or reassign him to another location permanently.  

I've not watched 24 before this version, but I am hooked.  Even with its flaws, it is still has some very suspenseful moments.  

Good job in noticing that the clock wasn't silent.  However, let's think a second about this.  Jack and Heller's conversation was just the two of them.  The only way I see this working is if either Heller or (likely) Jack planned a way out without telling the other.

Another issue: We haven't seen a VP yet.  (And a good point was made above about the President's resignation.)  Sounds like if Heller is dead, Jack goes rogue again.  Will Mark tell the VP about the Executive Order (which he will act as if it was genuine)?

Okay, I know that the scene with the line "The United States doesn't negotiate with terrorists" was probably shot before the real U.S. government traded five Taliban leaders for Bergdahl, but didn't that sound very timely?  (Note it was on one of the U.S. promos.)

The first image of Heller from the drone looked like a stunt double (also noticed that on a promo).  However, the close-up right after that looked like Heller himself, so it probably was a production error (or my bad eyesight LOL).

Liked seeing Chloe using unsecured wireless internet in a London pub LOL.  Am I wrong, or did she one year leave CTU to do something at another bar with a wifi hotspot, while fending off someone who was trying to hit on her? :)

If he is dead (I agree that's a big if) he said he had pardoned Jack for past crimes and "anything that happened today."  Can a president really pardon someone for crimes they haven't yet committed?

• Love 1

The recap reminded me of another silly point, that a couple of hours ago it took Jack almost an entire hour to upload the drone data to Chloe, but this time it took about one minute to upload Naveed's hard drive from the site to the CIA and then to Chloe, who is using some crappy pub WiFi.  And it wasn't just a text file filled with "HELLO WORLD," it was the entire drone override program.

And yes, back in Season 5 Chloe had an epic stungun takedown of some random guy that was hitting on her while she was busy working in a hotel lobby or other random similar location.

"Wake the bitch up NOW.": I actually forgot to give this line kudos for being so... Jack-like.  I shall correct that now by quoting Special Agent Ricky Schroeder with "Damn, Jack."

(edited)

If he is dead (I agree that's a big if) he said he had pardoned Jack for past crimes and "anything that happened today."  Can a president really pardon someone for crimes they haven't yet committed?

I doubt it matters because Heller likely gave the pardon to Audrey's husband who will rip it up and give Jack to the Russians if Heller is really dead.

The whole thing about giving Jack to the Russians is so insane i.e., 24. No country would let another country have an agent as experienced and knowledgeable as Jack. Be the time the FSB is through with Jack this country's intelligent infrastructure and asset would be compromised beyond repair. It would be better to lock Jack up in Guantanamo and throw away the key.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1

I did like when Jack said he didn't care if waking up Simone killed her and he saw that the Secret Service agent was staring at him.  I was waiting for Jack to get annoyed and snap at him.

• Love 1
(edited)
Secret Service agent: "But we thought the order did not apply to her. Besides, she insisted..."

"Let me in, or you'll be working counterfeiting cases out of Point Barrow until the next Ice Age!"

I said there must have been hemostatic gauze under the bandage.

That reminds me, my supply of Celox is way past the use-by date.

Edited by WhoAmIWorkingFor

It looked like a huge incision to get something out that was the size of an aspirin.  A chainsaw would've made less of a wound.

I'm still amused at how Heller and the CIA feel entitled to do pretty much whatever they want on British soil.  This is is the same Heller who started off treading lightly with the PM because he was worried about getting his drone base treaty.  

Some good ruthlessness in this episode.

I am surprised Terror Mom 2.0 let her son do so much back-talking without at least slapping him or cutting off one of his sensitive bits.

Did anyone else get a Star Trek: The Next Generation vibe from Chloe's discovery of the three drone functions? Can't order them to self destruct? Put them to sleep, Chloe!

I really hope Heller did actually get blown up. That would be much ballsier than some last-minute trickery from Chloe's tech-fu.

Jordan could have saved himself a lot of trouble by shooting first. He knows quite well how much it hurts to get shot in the shoulder so shoot the guy in the shoulder!

Was Jordan's phone call to Navarro the first time anyone has used a payphone on 24?

I know Jordan is making an intuitive leap based on how little time is left for this plot to play out but really, he doesn't know it was Navarro. It could be that the assassin followed the blood trail Jordan was leaving instead.

Jack gets himself a pardon, aw yeah! And he didn't even have to take anyone hostage to get it! It's nice to see a president who is actually on Jack's side for once.

That Secret Service agent patrolling downstairs is totally fired.

• Love 3
(edited)

First time poster.

Alot of discussion on twitter about the not-so-silent clock.  Interesting wiki here: http://24.wikia.com/wiki/Silent_clock.

Terror mom sends chills down my spine, but I think the son may take control of the drones - he seems to want to blow something up. 

Overall, I thought the episode was good - brilliantly acted by Sutherland, Devane, Raver (who I am not a fan of), whoever plays her husband, and Terror Mom.  I don't think I breathed during the last 2 minutes.

Wondering about two things - I think I looked away for a minute - was that an SS agent on the roof near the helicopter?  And he just let them leave?  I thought I might have missed something there.   Second - the guy that Navarro is working with - can't remember his name, he also works with Chloe.   I remember him saying he was just a "middle man".  Any thoughts on who the mastermind is? 

Just found this article, dated today, in which Manny Coto discusses last night's episode.  I'll say that it contains spoilers because it does discuss what everyone is wondering about: http://www.tvguide.com/News/24-Live-Another-Day-Postmortem-Evan-Katz-Manny-Coto-1083104.aspx

Edited by mwell345
(edited)

My immediate thought was no silent clock = one very alive President.  But manoman, the Brits are going to be pissed off big time when they find out that Wembley was taken out.  Terror Mom 2 will be the least of Heller's problems.  (I'm guessing Terror Son is going to be a problem for Terror Mom soon.)

Is Jordan dead?  Loved that he figured out Navaro sold him out, but too bad he fell for the old "oops, the safety's on" trick.  Second oldest trick in the book.

I say it every week, this show is just bananas and the writers must be playing with us.  

I think I would have liked this season better if Jack were working with British agents.  The story could have taken place in the US with a few minor tweeks.  There is really nothing different here than any other season of 24.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 1

My immediate thought was no silent clock = one very alive President.  But manoman, the Brits are going to be pissed off big time when they find out that Wembley was taken out.  Terror Mom 2 will be the least of Heller's problems.  (I'm guessing Terror Son is going to be a problem for Terror Mom soon.)

I've seen the speculation on this. But how could he possibly have survived that blast? We saw him standing there, we saw the blast hit where he was standing.

Why did they take a helicopter? They could have been there within a commercial break if they had taken a car.

You don't get that nice skyline view of nighttime London from a car. ;)

(As is par for the course on 24, nighttime follows daytime like someone throwing a light switch, but filming long stretches of time outside during the barely half an hour of nice-looking dawn/twilight is an incredible pain in the ass.  The weather's been interesting for them, though... they've had mostly cloudy, a brief period of sun, and then back to cloudy.  Hey, at least London has weather, unlike LA?)

Jordan's taking a break, but he should have some more left to do (at least a phone call or two).  If he expires now there's essentially nothing left to build the Navarro/Kate's husband/Adrian Cross business on; aside from Kate wondering where the hell Jordan went, she wouldn't have any dots to connect.

The Manny Coto interview seems pretty cut-and-dried, unless they were pulling an epic misinformation campaign.  I have to say that the "really dead" scenario fits in better with the setup, particularly the Alzheimer's.  (And Heller actually finally said "Alzheimer's," which everyone else was politely dancing around.)

I think helping her father to blow up should officially end any chance of Jack and Audrey getting back together.

I think Boudreau and Jack are both going to be on her shit list for this. 

It would be better to lock Jack up in Guantanamo and throw away the key.

That won't stop Jack. 

• Love 1

It does appear that Heller is dead and while I'll miss him I really hope it is because if there is some trickery it will really take away from what was a great scene. I am pretty upset there was no silent clock but assuming they killed off Heller that was one terrific and ballsy scene.

• Love 2

I was thoroughly bored by this episode.  The hour was pretty much filler.  The only thing that advanced the plot was Kate getting information out of Simone.  Up until the final minute, the entire thing was a snoozefest.

Let's see.  Jordan?  Don't care.  Russian guy knowing what he has on Mark?  Don't care.  Mark being insecure about his penis size compared to Jack's?  Don't care.  Navarro?  Don't care.  Adrian?  Don't care.  Chloe and Adrian's relationship?  Don't care.

I don't particular see the absence of a silent clock as meaning anything one way or the other.  Frankly, even though he was the President, even if he is indeed dead, I don't think Heller is particularly deserving of a silent clock.  This is a show seen through the eyes of Jack, and Heller hasn't exactly been a friend to Jack.

I am surprised that the previews completely spoil the fact that Ian buys the farm.  At least give us some degree of suspense.

I'm sorry to all the William Devane fans out there, but President Heller doesn't merit a silent clock. The death of a President is no longer shocking on this series. Neither is a character sacrificing himself in order to save other people's lives. And in this case, he knew that his mind was going and he didn't have much time left anyway. This all played out exactly the way I thought it would at the beginning of the episode. To me, the silent clock usually conveys terrible sadness and the idea that the heroes have lost (e.g. the death of Teri Bauer or Ryan Chappelle). In this case, it's true that Heller died, but his side also gained quite a lot in the bargain. 

In all honesty, the only event that I think would merit a silent clock now is the death of either Jack or Chloe. Maybe Audrey, but it would depend on how things stand between her and Jack at the time. But President Heller? Sorry, but no. They spent the entire episode foreshadowing it, and his death played out exactly according to everyone's plan including his own. 

So, who is the VP who is now becoming President? I don't think they have shown or named him/her, but I could have blinked and missed it. Maybe it's someone from a previous season?, as was the case with Heller.

(edited)

I agree about the silent clock not being appropriate following Heller's "hit." The nature of the action of a missile slamming into a football pitch just didn't seem tonally appropriate for a silent clock.

I'm in the camp that believes that Heller really was killed. And it would be interesting if this sends Audrey into Bad!Audrey mode, even into the arms of the Russians or Chinese. It seems obvious that they are the Big Baddies this season and they'll take center stage once Terror Mom 2.0 and Pretty Eyes are dispatched.

Edited by TimWil

Just a question... does Audrey Heller actually have a job in the administration or is she just there because of her dad and husband. From the beginning her position has felt like kind of a sick 'daughter acting as First Lady' vibe that they tried to temper by having her married to a guy who works there too. 

• Love 1

My favourite part was Heller crying out in pain...I thought wimp, they're going to do much worse to you, imagining torture. A drone strike is a mercy - if he's really dead, as I expect and hope, then he got off easy compared to Naveed (and Simone). A little disappointed that somebody above spilled the beans about Ian - I did suspect he might be the next Big Bad (until we see a higer-up in the organization. I certainly didn't see that in my preview.