Type keyword(s) to search

Million Dollar Listing LA - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Tracy's house on Curson is still on the market - reduced $100,000.

It is quite expensive for the neighborhood which doesn't have the cachet of more desirable locations. Of course location location location and the house would be more expensive in a better location.

Still one of the basic rules of prudent home purchases is NOT being the most expensive home on the block which that one surely is.

It's not a bad area. Ozzie and Harriet actually lived there and there are some gracious old homes along those streets. Originally when Hollywood was developed, there were mansions built but those have almost all been torn down with a few existing as schools or equivalent.

The Tutor listing is across the street from Wattles Park.

Flagg's listing in Bel Air is still available. I thought De Gournay wallpaper was expensive - had never heard of Gracie but when I went to the Grace site, there was an article with photos of Nancy Reagan, Marlena Dietrich and some others in rooms with the wallpaper. Mostly decorated by Elsa De Wolf who was a famous decorator of the early 20th century - she died in 1950.

I wonder if Flagg will find someone to restore it rather than just to knock it down.

https://www.dirt.com/gallery/showbiz/directors/old-hollywood-director-ernst-lubitschs-bel-air-house-1203584117/lubitsch_belair8/

https://www.joshflagg.com/property/268-bel-air-rd-los-angeles-ca-90077/

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

What happened with Hazen? Unless I missed it - after the video dust-up, there's only been crickets!  There's a Zillow listing for a home on Hazen (that could be that home) seeking to lease at $40,000.  Wouldn't be surprised.  And what happened to the Hancock Park (the modern house among older homes) listing?  Also crickets?

Tracy & Heather must spend more time buying cut-out low-cut clothes, shoes, & getting their nails/hair done than working.  Marketing gets foisted on their "teams" or they send 15-yr olds out to do what they themselves would never do. Party-planning gets you just so far.

They all mumble about a (future) "down" market -- but it was only on the horizon when this was filmed. Nor do they seem to adjust for it. They don't do much to firmly adjust seller's expectations about profits or create new strategies. So the properties sit. 

Heather mouths old trite phrases ("light & bright") & Tracy hints at multiple offers.  To get listings - but this doesn't produce buyers.  When things were at a fever pitch, they preened & patted themselves on the back as if it was their doing.  But now that it's stalled, it's not them, but the "market" that's at fault.  Shouldn't THEY be able to adjust for it? Ups & downs aren't new to the world of real estate.

The Newport Beach seller is an ass. (He had $11 million to invest in dirt even before building, but doesn't know to get out when a prospective buyer is there?) And how many millions in profit does he think he deserves? A 25% profit is a bit much.  Greedy sellers (driving greedy broker commissions) drove overblown expectations sky-high.  Maybe that's why there are all the leases out there now.  And how many can or want to pay $40,000 to $100,000 a month rent??

And Altman - practically left skid marks on the floor to get to Flagg in order to tell him Bobby's Bali trip comments. (And they say women are gossips??!!!?) He wants a grip on Newport but doesn't want to be there a few days a week - no, he wants to race down - in over two hrs - IF there's NO traffic or tie-ups AND if speeding.  Another menace on the road just so his ego can be more inflated.  He can boast billion with a "B" but one day there will be those who can say trillion with a "T" - childish pissing contests.  As they say, one ass cannot dance at two weddings. 

Edited by realityplease
  • Like 8
  • Applause 1

Many homes are up for sale in Bel Air this year. Why? Pre-covid wildfires in Bel Air last couple of years.  Just as more homes go up for sale in Malibu after fires or rockslides.  Given the cachet of both, always the oblivious or unsuspecting to lunge right in.

Flagg was clear that once sold (even if the buyer claims to be a preservationist) the buyer can do whatever they want with the home  - raze, redevelop, whatever. So this "fantasy" of the sellers taking $1 million less in order to have drinks with buyers who want to preserve it - nonsense. Good luck to Flagg if he can do it. Anyone who'd appreciate it "as is" is probably too old to lift the glass.  And to spend mega-bucks to modernize it & also pay top dollar for it - nah - those with business sense will take a hard pass.

The owners need to sell off whatever antiques they can. The curtains & wallpaper are probably ready to crumble.  It'll probably take a shit-ton of money to restore that home.  They're not selling a museum - it's a home.  Put a fair price on it, walk away & appreciate the memories from it.  

Edited by realityplease
  • Like 6
16 minutes ago, realityplease said:

Many homes are up for sale in Bel Air this year. Why? Pre-covid wildfires in Bel Air last couple of years.  Just as more homes go up for sale in Malibu after fires or rockslides.  Given the cachet of both, always the oblivious or unsuspecting to lunge right in.

Flagg was clear that once sold (even if the buyer claims to be a preservationist) the buyer can do whatever they want with the home  - raze, redevelop, whatever. So this "fantasy" of the sellers taking $1 million less in order to have drinks with buyers who want to preserve it - nonsense. Good luck to Flagg is he can do it. Anyone who'd appreciate it "as is" is probably too old to lift the glass.  And to spend mega-bucks to modernize it & also pay top dollar for it - nah - those with business sense will take a hard pass.

The owners need to sell off whatever antiques they can. The curtains & wallpaper are probably ready to crumble.  It'll probably take a shit-ton of money to restore that home.  They're not selling a museum - it's a home.  Put a fair price on it, walk away & appreciate the memories from it.  

FWIW people in Los Angeles LOVE Spanish Colonial and there are people who do lovingly restore Spanish Colonial homes even though it doesn't make economic sense.

Of course you can't enforce what someone does to a home but you can get a sense of what they intend to do with it. In some of the desirable neighborhoods in LA all the homes except for the old Spanish Colonials will be bought for their tear down value.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Dolphin Street was unique, but am I the only one who wasn't impressed with that view?  It overlooked a highway, and it was a harbor.  So what?  $20 M?

I posted about this last week, as then Altman was referring to it as waterfront, which is certainly is not. Then I saw the highway this week, which made me laugh. Looking at a bit of water and a lot of other houses? For 20 mill? No thanks.

I was waiting for someone to point out the ugly ensuite, with the bathtub sitting between the two vanities, and across from the shower. Yuck.

Altman looked ridiculous, running to Flagg to tell him about Bobby's conversation regarding Flagg's holiday. And of course Altman and Tracy say that they support Flagg in his ongoing complaints about Bobby, but in their THs both congratulate Bobby in his coup. I am so sick of Flagg being placated so that he doesn't have another hissy fit. I think I liked it better when Altman didn't have to blow smoke, in order to carry on a story line that he and Flagg are now besties. 

I wonder how many viewers are like me, and would rather have Bobby on the show than aging narcissist playboy Flagg? In any case I am really tired of Flagg running down Bobby every episode. It's boring, and petty. 

• Like 8
  • Sad 1
46 minutes ago, realityplease said:

When things were at a fever pitch, they preened & patted themselves on the back as if it was their doing.  But now that it's stalled, it's not them, but the "market" that's at fault.  Shouldn't THEY be able to adjust for it? Ups & downs aren't new to the world of real estate.

It's all about timing. They did (or Altman did) point out to one of the sellers that things were cooling off fast. I sold my uncle's condo a couple of years ago at peak market... well, one week off it.  Between interviewing brokers and hitting MLS two weeks later our price went up 60K on a pretty basic condo. Everybody was buying with no contingencies, bidding wars, etc, so we fully expected another 10-15 above that. The week before a comp went 19k above ask with 20 offers. We got 3, took the one at full ask. A week later we would have had to lower our price. Two weeks later it probably would have been down 20K. Just timing.  

I respect the Mattel lady who said the right buyer will come, and I think if she's rich enough to carry the house til it does, she's right, and the agents merely are looking to get their cash NOW and move on to the next thing, rather than carry a listing that isn't selling which might reflect poorly on them. But that's a THEM problem. She's not wrong, so long as she's willing to hold onto it with everything that means.

I do think the agents are honest with their clients who are in tight places and really NEED to sell but are hung up on getting a price they had in their head rather than what they're likely to get. In that case, getting them to take the money and run is in the client's best interest as well.

I always liked Bobby well enough, but he was pretty snide and both of them could have handled it better. He seems to have gone on a plastic surgery binge since we saw him last, which is a shame. 

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, amarante said:

FWIW people in Los Angeles LOVE Spanish Colonial and there are people who do lovingly restore Spanish Colonial homes even though it doesn't make economic sense.

Of course you can't enforce what someone does to a home but you can get a sense of what they intend to do with it. In some of the desirable neighborhoods in LA all the homes except for the old Spanish Colonials will be bought for their tear down value.

Flagg went through something like this before in an early season.  Sold a home where the buyers gave more than just a "sense" of their intention - they said they'd lovingly restore it.  Escrow closed.  Buyers immediately tore it down.  The sellers were very upset.  Tough luck. As Flagg told those sellers - nothing to be done. He's been through it.  And knew to mention it to these sellers several times - though he let them talk out their fantasy for a bit. 

A price drop of $3.5 million, months after filming, suggests that no one is itching to restore this Spanish colonial.  In fact, the kitchen tiles and other amenities are probably as well-maintained as possible after 6 decades.  Most buyers would want a complete renovation - even if they kept the general Spanish style.  Because really - does anyone need not one but several - heavy dark wooden bars? And maybe back in the '80's  - this 30's or 40's director was still revered.  But now, few under the age of 60(?) - or who didn't go to film school - care.  Or if they care, can't afford it.  Time marches on.  

Edited by realityplease
  • Like 1
24 minutes ago, realityplease said:

Because really - does anyone need not one but several - heavy dark wooden bars? And maybe back in the '80's  - this 30's or 40's director was still revered.  But now, few under the age of 60(?) - or who didn't go to film school - care.  Or if they care, can't afford it.  Time marches on.  

What about all these people who claim to love "entertaining"? Based on HGTV it seems like that's about 95% of the United States. 

• LOL 5
9 minutes ago, Grrarrggh said:

What about all these people who claim to love "entertaining"? Based on HGTV it seems like that's about 95% of the United States

yeah during the pandemic my husband and I discovered our inner hermits :) 

• Like 5

I wish they would have a one hour special of the old homes.  They all had character and charm.  To me, they have a cozy feel to them.  The new homes are all the same basically.  Big, cold and uninviting.  I loved Diane Keatons home, especially the Spanish Tiles.  To each his own tho.  Everyone has different tastes.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
55 minutes ago, Grrarrggh said:

What about all these people who claim to love "entertaining"? Based on HGTV it seems like that's about 95% of the United States. 

They DO love entertaining - in a big white open concept den/dining area/kitchen area with a huge flatscreen TV & fireplace that adjoins an infinity pool with an outdoor kitchen & grill and patio area.  With plenty of flow & seating areas.  In California, that means indoor & outdoor living. Not sitting at a heavy, dark, dank, wooden bar where you can only talk to the people on either side of you.

I agree - everyone has different tastes.  But when you're selling - top price usually goes to the places with the best location, best layout, modern updated features. 

Edited by realityplease
  • Like 3
8 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Unpopular opinion:  I don't care how Tracey and Heather dress.  I don't even notice it.

I feel the same way. 🤷🏻‍♀️

The only times Flagg doesn't get on my nerves these days is when he drops his architecture and Old Hollywood knowledge. I half expected him to buy that house. He was positively giddy about it in his THs.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, realityplease said:

usually goes to the places with the best location, best layout, modern updated features. 

"Best" layout is very subjective. I personally HATE open concept, with flames-on-the-side-of-my-face hatred. And I don't like white/grey automatically either. I don't think most people know what they mean when they say "modern". 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

"Best" layout is very subjective. I personally HATE open concept, with flames-on-the-side-of-my-face hatred. And I don't like white/grey automatically either. I don't think most people know what they mean when they say "modern". 

I agree. By "best" & "modern" I mean the current & widely accepted "wants" in high-end properties now - not necessarily, the best taste or practicality.

When big white boxes, open layout, grey/white & stainless go out of style - and they will - like the Italianate or French villa looks before it - the buyers of high-priced homes - like lemmings to the sea - will want whatever is dictated to them (or generally accepted) as high-end & in vogue - even if cold, impractical or overpriced.  Luxury home buyers want a home to show off their status - not necessarily their taste. (Some have no taste anyway - they just mimic or buy others' style.)

For that much money, they want something (whether it is or not) to be universally envied - or at least, admired or not disparaged.  "Modern" is whatever movers & shakers (or those that aspire to be them) dictate as current - whatever that might be at the time.  It changes.  (After all, Mid-Century is not current - it's really just re-hashed '50's. It will eventually cede to the next decade as what's "out-dated" becomes "fresh" to the next decade of those too young to remember it on the first go-around.) 

In California, most foreign & high-end buyers for the luxury sales want a certain cookie cutter status-y look & bragging rights to high-end amenities & features (even if never used) - & they'll want it until the next look becomes "the thing" to have.

• Like 3

Bobby & Josh are both acting like 14 year-old girls.

Bobby needs to step away from the Botox syringe.  I never understand why a mid-30's person needs frozen lips.  Tracy, I'm lookin' at you too.

And Josh Altman, like another teenage girl, has to run to Josh Flagg about Bobby's comments.  Why don't you just pass a note in the hallway?

I hate to say it, but Heather is my new favorite person on this show.  I always detested her.  But she appears to be a hard worker, an attentive mom, and a loving wife.

Heather & Josh seem to have the healthiest relationship of this entire franchise, which shocks me to my core, and I actually hate typing it.  But watching them with their kids really warms me.

• Like 8
30 minutes ago, Starlight925 said:

Bobby & Josh are both acting like 14 year-old girls.

Oi! I've been and been around many a 14-year-old girl and that comment is a bit insulting. They seem to be acting more like the men they are. Take away from that what you want about how many men act vs how people accuse 14-year-old girls of acting.... 

• Like 5
9 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

Oi! I've been and been around many a 14-year-old girl and that comment is a bit insulting.

Yes...

Men and women

Whether young or old..

all have the same thing in common...

Called: human nature

The best part of this episode was Flagg's unabashed glee and awe touring the Bel Air house.  He has such a true appreciation for architecture and older homes with a history that set him apart from Altman with his 'sick' properties with 27 car garages and Tracey, who just uses whatever angle will get her a commission.

• Like 13
On 2/10/2023 at 2:59 PM, realityplease said:

Because really - does anyone need not one but several - heavy dark wooden bars? And maybe back in the '80's  - this 30's or 40's director was still revered.  But now, few under the age of 60(?) - or who didn't go to film school - care.  Or if they care, can't afford it.  Time marches on.  

Yes, time marches on.

Do you remember when it was the big thing to finish a basement and turn it into a rec room?  And if your friends were really cool, they had a wet bar! 

No matter how many great memories we have of the Fondue parties, that is not what buyers are looking for these days.  To put a finer point on it, they would have to take into consideration the cost to tear all of that out.

On 2/11/2023 at 11:36 AM, meep.meep said:

Have they ever shown a Paul Williams house on this show?  He was the black architect who redesigned the Beverly Hills Hotel in the late 40's.

It would be neat to hear Josh Flagg give us some history on that.

• Like 5

I've noticed that so many of these luxury houses have large ass wine rooms.

This feels like the modern day version of wet bars and fondue parties.

I've never been able to get into wine, but it's crazy how many of these houses have wine rooms or wine fridges. I always think to myself "So many better ways to use that space. Like maybe a larger theater or even a bigger gym." To me, those are more useful add-ons.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Like 8
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I don't drink, so a wine room, whisky bar, etc. would be a waste of space and money for me.        The other issue with wine rooms is that they aren't secured, so you might lose a lot of bottles over time. 

I think the one in the most recent episodes (the 1300 bottle "vault") had what looked like a keypad lock.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
On 2/11/2023 at 11:21 AM, Cheyanne11 said:

The best part of this episode was Flagg's unabashed glee and awe touring the Bel Air house.  He has such a true appreciation for architecture and older homes with a history.

Yes!  And this is what I don't understand about Josh Flagg.  The answer to his problems is simple.

Imagine this:  Flagg deletes all the social media apps on his phone and never even sees posts about the the drama between other agents.  He spends his time brokering homes in and around Hollywood, and generally hanging out with the older Hollywood glamour types.

He could just quietly be another eccentric millionaire.

Wouldn't he be much happier?

• Like 13
20 hours ago, Surrealist said:

I've noticed that so many of these luxury houses have large ass wine rooms.

This feels like the modern day version of wet bars and fondue parties.

I've never been able to get into wine, but it's crazy how many of these houses have wine rooms or wine fridges. I always think to myself "So many better ways to use that space. Like maybe a larger theater or even a bigger gym." To me, those are more useful add-ons.

In homes on the East Coast belonging to rich people, there usually is a wine cellar.  In California, cellars are very rare because of the earthquake potential.  So, the rich people out here build wine rooms. 

I'd much rather have a climate-controlled wine room than a gaming room.  Everyone's tastes are different.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
8 hours ago, TheLastKidPicked said:

Imagine this:  Flagg deletes all the social media apps on his phone and never even sees posts about the the drama between other agents.  He spends his time brokering homes in and around Hollywood, and generally hanging out with the older Hollywood glamour types.

Yes, on an aesthetic level.  No, on a financial level.  The old Hollywood homes (not to be confused with the Hollywood Hills) are just that - old.  They need TONS of work & are typically smaller, not tricked out, slower to sell, lower in price.  Not cheap, mind you, but a $2-4 million home yields a LOT less commission & harder to sell than homes for $15 million & up in Bel Air, Brentwood, Beverly Hills or Hancock Park - or even $8 million & up in Encino. 

Hollywood & its nearby neighborhoods have some higher-crime dicey areas. There's a few tiny hipster pockets - but THOSE aren't his people or potential clients.  Getting kids to a private school from a home in Hollywood (because public schools in L.A., and there in particular, are so bad) is a nightmare - a cross-town trek with bad traffic & no direct or fast route.

Likely, he would like to hang with older Hollywood glamour types, but who's left? Most, if not all, are long dead. Of his grandmother's era.  She's gone, they are too.

A costly divorce & costly prior breakup will probably drive him to try to replenish what he's lost - even if he has plenty of money left.  He's an interesting mix. Seems low-key after a nebbishy friendless childhood- but his rather-large ego needs to be fed & he has a yen for expensive toys/cars.  That would spur his need to stay in the higher-end game.

Edited by realityplease
  • Like 3

I may have posted about this before but some years ago, I was watching a morning show but can’t remember which one it was. They promoted an upcoming interview with Josh and Heather. After commercial, they showed the male and female cohosts and Josh sitting on those tall stools. Also a blond woman that I didn’t recognize. She was wearing a skin tight skirt and leaning back against her stool. It was the oddest thing I’ve seen. They tried to act like this was perfectly normal. I think her skirt was so tight that she couldn’t even get up into the stool. And her face was so odd and unrecognizable. She was probably 30 years old at the time. Geez.

• Sad 2
  • LOL 6
On 12/9/2022 at 10:53 AM, Welshman in Ca said:

This would have all been filmed before the interest rate hikes anyway.

It didn't. It was filmed during the interest rate hikes, and after.

Edited by ZettaK

He spends his time brokering homes in and around Hollywood, and generally hanging out with the older Hollywood glamour types.

Well I'd be much happier watching that.

• Like 7
2 hours ago, buttersister said:

Well I'd be much happier watching that.

At least we would be seeing some real estate, as opposed to this episode where we got a few minutes of Flagg showing a home we have already seen, and pictures of "renderings" which render the current house obsolete, erasing any of its charm and turning it into another cookie cutter white box. I would imagine the owners were not too impressed by that selling tactic. 

Are the producers of this show trying to tank it? Do they really think people tune in to see scripted scenes between three (4 if you count Heather) realtors who are pretending to be besties? The lunch with Flagg, Altman and Tracy was hilarious in that Flagg's wine glass kept emptying and refilling as the editors spliced scenes that were obviously reshot. That was about the most entertaining part of the episode, because if you tuned in to this real estate show to actually see real estate, you were SOOL. 

I am looking forward to next week when it appears the we will see the real dynamic between the "BFFs". If we can't see actual houses being sold, might as well see what reality we can on this so called reality show. 

• Like 9
On 2/10/2023 at 4:48 PM, UsernameFatigue said:

I posted about this last week, as then Altman was referring to it as waterfront, which is certainly is not. Then I saw the highway this week, which made me laugh. Looking at a bit of water and a lot of other houses? For 20 mill? No thanks.

I was waiting for someone to point out the ugly ensuite, with the bathtub sitting between the two vanities, and across from the shower. Yuck.

Altman looked ridiculous, running to Flagg to tell him about Bobby's conversation regarding Flagg's holiday. And of course Altman and Tracy say that they support Flagg in his ongoing complaints about Bobby, but in their THs both congratulate Bobby in his coup. I am so sick of Flagg being placated so that he doesn't have another hissy fit. I think I liked it better when Altman didn't have to blow smoke, in order to carry on a story line that he and Flagg are now besties. 

I wonder how many viewers are like me, and would rather have Bobby on the show than aging narcissist playboy Flagg? In any case I am really tired of Flagg running down Bobby every episode. It's boring, and petty. 

Flagg walks around in his t- shirt looking depressed lately.  Altman is looking like a Devil more and more with that beard.  Yuk.

• Like 2

Just what we want to see. The trio plus Heather and Andrew trying to sell dirt in Vegas. Good times.

I have no idea why I have such a dislike for Andrew. I don't feel he's genuine. He looks like a big 6'5  young kid with a constant shit eating grin I would like to wipe off his face. Of course he had to mention once again that Flagg is 13 yrs older but he is the more mature one. Ohhhh shots fired, Andrew! 

Heather cracks me up when she is with the Altman team presenting what ever bull she's selling. She really gets off on being the head bitch in charge. Man, did she ever fall in to a big tub of butter. I get it she does work hard but I feel she's constantly trying to prove she's worthy of being the CEO of the Altman Bros. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
On 2/3/2023 at 1:46 PM, Marley said:

Flagg is probably lying about Andrew having his own money. He wants to believe so bad this young guy is with him not for his money. I can’t stand this dumb show anymore.

I would like to know more about this guy.  I doubt he has "his own money."

I am looking forward to next week's fight.  I don't usually like fighting but the lunches where they all sit around and kiss each other's asses are not entertaining.  

• Like 9
2 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Just what we want to see. The trio plus Heather and Andrew trying to sell dirt in Vegas. Good times.

I have no idea why I have such a dislike for Andrew. I don't feel he's genuine. He looks like a big 6'5  young kid with a constant shit eating grin I would like to wipe off his face. Of course he had to mention once again that Flagg is 13 yrs older but he is the more mature one. Ohhhh shots fired, Andrew! 

Heather cracks me up when she is with the Altman team presenting what ever bull she's selling. She really gets off on being the head bitch in charge. Man, did she ever fall in to a big tub of butter. I get it she does work hard but I feel she's constantly trying to prove she's worthy of being the CEO of the Altman Bros. 

“Selling dirt” that is so funny.  Btw, who’s funding this big building project in the desert where it’s probably 120 degrees?

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

“Selling dirt” that is so funny.  Btw, who’s funding this big building project in the desert where it’s probably 120 degrees?

I lived in Vegas for ten years. It's not that hot year round. Some people are surprised to find it actually gets much colder in the winter, down to the mid 20s. Being in a valley surrounded on all sides by mountains makes the temps extreme from one end to the other. It's usually in the mid to high 110s for only about 2-3 months AT MOST.  And all homes are required to have AC, even apartments. 

Many people purchase luxury homes in the Vegas valley because it gets very little rain and is a great climate for those who suffer from arthritis and other autoimmune disorders. And my sinuses felt great when I lived there with the low humidity. Sports athletes also like it there because there are no state income taxes. It also used to have a much lower cost of living although it's getting more and more expensive. Unfortunately the schools are pretty bad there. The dropout rate was somewhere around 30% when I lived there. I wouldn't consider raising a family there but many people do.

I know exactly where they're building those houses. That hill was completely empty when I moved there in 2010. Someone built one house, then one more was built and next thing I knew that entire hill was getting built up. It was interesting to see. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 4
18 minutes ago, rhofmovalley said:

I lived in Vegas for ten years. It's not that hot year round. Some people are surprised to find it actually gets much colder in the winter, down to the mid 20s. Being in a valley surrounded on all sides by mountains makes the temps extreme from one end to the other. It's usually in the mid to high 110s for only about 2-3 months AT MOST.  And all homes are required to have AC, even apartments. 

Many people purchase luxury homes in the Vegas valley because it gets very little rain and is a great climate for those who suffer from arthritis and other autoimmune disorders. And my sinuses felt great when I lived there with the low humidity. Sports athletes also like it there because there are no state income taxes. It also used to have a much lower cost of living although it's getting more and more expensive. Unfortunately the schools are pretty bad there. The dropout rate was somewhere around 30% when I lived there. I wouldn't consider raising a family there but many people do.

I know exactly where they're building those houses. That hill was completely empty when I moved there in 2010. Someone built one house, then one more was built and next thing I knew that entire hill was getting built up. It was interesting to see. 

I didn’t mean to knock Vegas.  Just thought “ selling dirt” was funny.  We have been going to Vegas from New York every year for the last twenty years as relatives live there.  Unfortunately, Everytime we went, it was hot.  We like the four seasons here on the East Coast, and all New York City offers as we were born and raised here.

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 4
10 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

I didn’t mean to knock Vegas.  Just thought “ selling dirt” was funny.  We have been going to Vegas from New York every year for the last twenty years as relatives live there.  Unfortunately, Everytime we went, it was hot.  We like the four seasons here on the East Coast, and all New York City offers as we were born and raised here.

No worries!

If you go in the summertime it is definitely going to be scorching hot. The nicest times of the year to go are March, April and early May and also late September and October. I would skip late May through early September (definitely as it is unpleasantly hot) and November through February. Although as New Yorkers you may not find temps in the 40s to be cold, so February and November might be nice enough.

Definitely no real "seasons". Leaves fall off in autumn and flowers bloom in the spring time but that's about it. 

Nice thing about where they're building those houses is there are still large lots available and the mountain and city views are nice. And far enough from the tourists to avoid the crowds. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 3
9 minutes ago, ML89 said:

So, wonder how much Crypto Bro who was looking at the Lubitsch house has now...

Now he probably just has millions instead of hundreds of millions, I'm sure he will be fine if he was looking when this was filmed as crypto has gone up since then if other people are to be believed about when this was filmed (after the interest rate hikes started).

People seem to forget that a lot of these guys are nerds who bought it when it was pennies rather than the thousands it is now (bitcoin is about $20,000 at the moment).

Edited by Welshman in Ca
  • Like 2
6 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

People seem to forget that a lot of these guys are nerds who bought it when it was pennies rather than the thousands it is now (bitcoin is about $20,000 at the moment).

Or that they bought it with their parent's money.... 

Edited by Grrarrggh
  • Like 6
17 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

I would like to know more about this guy.  I doubt he has "his own money."

I am looking forward to next week's fight.  I don't usually like fighting but the lunches where they all sit around and kiss each other's asses are not entertaining.  

It was more realistic when the realtors were competitive, and disliked each other. 

As for liking open spaces, or not, I personally do, but I don't care about the white and grays which are not even trendy anymore, although I still see them in remodelings. 

Edited by ZettaK
  • Like 3

I personally like the show more when they get along but have the occasional conflict that is resolved over an episode or two.  I'm not a fan of the big drama that last all season which is why I don't watch RHOSLC or RHONJ any more.  Too much screaming all the time

• Like 11

I lived in Vegas, and the job I had required me to drive around all day to different locations.  The summer heat was like nothing I had ever experienced, and I'm from a much "hotter" state.  

What I didn't like about Vegas is that there's really no culture.  Unlike larger cities like L.A., etc., there are no great museums, artsy districts, ethnic areas, etc.  It's one giant strip center.  

On the strip, of course, there's great entertainment, dining, shopping.  But as a resident, you'll go weeks or months without entering the area.

That being said, I can see why this development would do well.  The homes are beautiful, the view is great, and for someone who needs a beautiful home, it's amazing.

These could be 2nd "1st" homes.  They could be primary residences, to avoid the state income tax, while the owner also takes up residence in California as their secondary residence.

People often think that when I lived in Vegas, it's all the strip.  But once you're off the strip, there are beautiful neighborhoods, lots of families, kids sports, etc.  

But as Heather said, most of the architecture is similar:  either Tuscan or red roof adobe-looking structures.  Nothing like this.  I'm excited to see where this development takes them.

A big reason the real estate in California is slipping is due to super high taxes and a mass exodus to other states, where real estate is off the charts.  I live in a no-state-income-tax state, and our real estate is still flying, even at the super high prices.

That's obviously reason these agents are expanding to Vegas, and did I hear Austin?  Both no state income tax states.

Edited by Starlight925
  • Like 8
  • Useful 2

I wonder how much they were paid (BRAVO or the realtors) to essentially provide a half hour or more of promotional advertising for a boring development in Vegas.

And Vegas is indeed a Mecca for very rich people because of no state income tax. I believe Florida also doesn't have state income tax. I know this because my best friend's husband comes from a family where the father sold a business for half a billion or so about 20 years ago and so the family which had been residing in the NY/NJ metropolitan area all bought principal residence in either Vegas or Boca. My friend stayed in Los Angeles because they would rather have a good life and pay a bit more in taxes since what was left after taxes was still millions.

Of course the thing about older people retiring is that merely living in a house that large is exhausting because of the extreme distances between the various living areas and of course even if you have staff, you still have to have the energy and desire to manage them. I know this - again - because when the parents got to be a certain age, they down sized to a more manageable home. Still gracious by ordinary standards but not 10,000 square feet. There is so much new building in Vegas for the very wealthy, that the older expensive homes don't keep their value because people can purchase a new home. Unlike metropolitan areas like Manhattan or the west side of Los Angeles, there is no particular need to pay more to live in a specific neighborhood and renovate. At least for the most part since there is always a new development.

I did get excited that the lunch was at Xian which is my go-to Chinese restaurant. Not very authentic Chinese food but it is good quality and is essentially just your typical Chinese neighborhood place albeit in the heart of Beverly Hills but it is a good place to watch the natives in their natural habitat. 😂

Edited by amarante
  • Like 7
  • Useful 2

The Arts District in downtown Vegas is quite good.  It's not fancy or shiny but it's definitely got a lot of character.  I spent most of my time there when I lived in Vegas.

I spent almost no time in Henderson.  I think I went there maybe ten times and twice was to apply for a townhouse I wanted to rent and to drop off the deposit.  They also had the only Corner Bakery Cafe in the valley and I liked to have lunch there so I made the drive a few times.  But there are definitely areas there with stunning views so I can see the appeal.  Also, Henderson is considered more upscale than a lot of other places in the Vegas Valley.

I wonder if the producers were starved for content and that's why they did the Vegas trip.  It certainly can't be considered part of "Million Dollar Listing LOS ANGELES" and neither can Newport Beach.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

So, I live in a "no-state-income-tax" state.

The great news?  No state income tax.

The bad news?  They gotta get it from somewhere.  The best place for them to get your $$ is from....you guessed it....your property.  Our property taxes are double, triple other states.

So these "great deals" in Henderson will end up costing the buyers more than they bargained for, especially once the city starts levying additional taxes for, oh, say, all the extra water these enormous homes will need, etc.

• Like 6
  • Useful 8