Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

Marvel Cinematic Universe Planning A Return To Comic-Con’s Hall H After 2018 Break: What Will They Bring?

We’re hearing that Disney’s Marvel Cinematic Universe is heading back to San Diego Comic-Con after sitting out Hall H last year.

While there haven’t been any concrete plans made yet in regards to the lineup, it’s an important year for the MCU in the wake of Avengers: Endgame wrapping up a number of storylines, plus the gains made in the expansion of Marvel with the Disney-Fox merger.

Among this year’s MCU cliffhangers in San Diego: What are the next Marvel releases post Avengers: Endgame for 2020? The studio has the first weekend in May and November reserved for MCU product. From what we hear, the upcoming Spider-Man: Far From Home isn’t expected to offer any clues as to what’s next in the Disney MCU since it’s a Sony release. Also, following the Fox merger, what will the Kevin Feige-run Marvel absorb and adapt from the X-Men-Deadpool-Gambit-Fantastic Four universe?

It would come as no surprise to see Black Widow footage and an appearance by Scarlett Johansson and director Cate Shortland. Buzz is that production is underway in Norway. Then there’s the feature adaptation of the God-beings comic 1976 Jack Kirby comic The Eternals which has filled out the cast in recent months with Angelina Jolie, Kumail Nanjiani, and Richard Madden under the direction of Chloe Zhao. Other productions in the pipeline include director Destin Daniel Cretton’s Shang-Chi and Scott Derrickson’s Doctor Strange 2.

Also, what about those Disney+ streaming series? At Disney Investor Day back in April, a logo for the new Tom Hiddleston streaming series Loki was unveiled while Feige confirmed upcoming streaming series for Falcon, Vision, and Scarlet Witch. Despite there being buzz about a Hawkeye streaming series, no details were confirmed.

Yeah, I've loved Pace in Soldier's Girl, Wonderfalls, Pushing Daisies, and almost everything else I've seen him in, but Ronan was like a sketch comedy caricature of a Flash Gordon villain. Do Not Want.

• Love 1

Marvel Studios Kevin Feige Confirms Conversations With Keanu Reeves, Wants to Find Right Way to Bring Him Into MCU

Recently, ComicBook.com’s own Brandon Davis had the opportunity to chat with Kevin Feige, the president of Marvel Studios, during the upcoming movie’s press junket in London. Feige revealed lots of information, including the exciting news that Avengers: Endgame is getting re-released in theaters with new footage. Davis took the time to ask the producer about the potential future involvement of some big names in the MCU, including the Internet’s current boyfriend: Keanu Reeves.

“A couple of actors I want to ask you about. Keanu Reeves: you guys talking to him for anything?,” Davis asked.

“We talk to him for almost every film we make,” Feige laughed. “We talk to Keanu Reeves about. I don’t know when, if, or ever he’ll join the MCU, but we very much want to figure out the right way to do it.”

Feige went on to compare Reeves to Jake Gyllenhaal, saying that they talked to the Spider-Man: Far From Home star “multiple times” until the perfect role (Mysterio) appeared. They’re hoping a similar situation will occur with Revees, and that he will join the wide world of Marvel when the right role presents itself.

Please just keep Reeves away from Gambit (keep Tatum far, far away as well). I remember those Keanu/Gambit rumors a while back, and my soul can't handle another poorly casted X-Men film. 

7 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Corsair, leader of the Starjammers. Or Machine Man.

I will make an exception for Corsair. I could see him in that role. It's not that I dislike Keanu, but he's not exactly a master thespian who can handle just any role. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Jeebus Cripes said:

Please just keep Reeves away from Gambit (keep Tatum far, far away as well). I remember those Keanu/Gambit rumors a while back, and my soul can't handle another poorly casted X-Men film. 

I will make an exception for Corsair. I could see him in that role. It's not that I dislike Keanu, but he's not exactly a master thespian who can handle just any role. 

Keanu Reeves seems like a really cool guy, but I'm old enough to remember when he was the punchline to a lot of jokes, in the late 90s and post-Matrix. The guy who can't act at all, the guy with no range, the guy who just says "woah" and plays airheads.

He's managed to reinvent himself incredibly well, but I agree he's not the best actor ever, and giving him a character with limited emotional range would be the best fit. Adam Warlock has been suggested, and that could work. But Zac Efron has also been rumoured for the role, and I can't see anyone who fits better as a literal golden god.

(edited)
1 hour ago, Danny Franks said:

Keanu Reeves seems like a really cool guy, but I'm old enough to remember when he was the punchline to a lot of jokes, in the late 90s and post-Matrix. The guy who can't act at all, the guy with no range, the guy who just says "woah" and plays airheads.

He's managed to reinvent himself incredibly well, but I agree he's not the best actor ever, and giving him a character with limited emotional range would be the best fit. Adam Warlock has been suggested, and that could work. But Zac Efron has also been rumoured for the role, and I can't see anyone who fits better as a literal golden god.

Oh, I was around during his Bill & Ted years, so I hear ya loud and clear there. I honestly can't remember the last movie I saw him in... Never seen the John Wick films. OK, I just looked up his resume on IMDb, and the last film I saw him in was The Lake House. I'm definitely missing out on this career resurgence he's having. Ah, well. Like the poster upthread said, keep him away from any part with an accent, and it shouldn't be a total train wreck. I still LOL whenever I watch him in Bram Stoker's Dracula. Good times. 

I'm honestly kind of startled by Feige's statement that they consider him every time a film comes up. Really? 

@Danny Franks, out of curiosity because of your avatar, who would you cast as Gambit?

Edited by Jeebus Cripes
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, Jeebus Cripes said:

@Danny Franks, out of curiosity because of your avatar, who would you cast as Gambit?

I honestly don't know. I liked Taylor Kitsch in the role, but that ship sailed a long time ago. Can't stand the thought of Channing Tatum playing him, because regardless of how talented people may think Tatum is (I don't rate him much), I just think he's a bad fit for the character.

If they went with a young Gambit, then a left-field choice like Joe Keery might be interesting. Older? Maybe Boyd Holbrook, or someone similar. To be honest, I doubt I'll ever see a Gambit worth talking about on the screen.

If Marvel reboots the X-Men, they'll start with the 1980s characters (because most people in positions of power at Marvel are 80s fanboys) - Wolverine, Colossus, Storm, Kitty, Cyclops, Jean, Rogue, Iceman etc. The 90s characters will be some way down the line, if they appear at all.

8 hours ago, Jeebus Cripes said:

I'm honestly kind of startled by Feige's statement that they consider him every time a film comes up. Really? 

I don't think Marvel is considering Keanu for every movie.  But I think this is Feige covering his butt, as John Wick 3 (a rated R sequel)  was the movie that knocked Endgame out of 1st place.  As of June 16th - JW3 has earned about 275 million worldwide.  

I know Endgame has earned over a billion at this point.  But again let me stress.  This is a rated R sequel, starring only one major Hollywood star who is in his mid 50s.  I am a fellow Gen X - so I am thrilled.

The internet has gone crazy over Keanu before.  In 2010 there was the Sad Keanu meme and then a day devoted to cheering Keanu up.  Unlike this year, Keanu had no movies coming out to capitalize on the love.  This year the stars have finally aligned - he has not 1 but 3 movies.

Never doubt the power of Keanu.  

• Love 4

I've noticed that the MCU re-uses a limited menu of character templates.

Nebula/Bucky Barnes : traumatized, given powers through torture; arc: must learn to trust

Tony Stark/Doctor Strange : brilliant, arrogant, sarcastic, egotistical; arc: must learn humility and empathy 

Gamora/Carol Danvers/Valkerie/the Wasp : arrogant, sarcastic, trained in hand-to-hand combat, have an "I'm smarter and more capable than these guys" attitude (which, to be fair, they are); arc : learn to function as a leader, maybe? 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Jeebus Cripes said:

Oh, I was around during his Bill & Ted years, so I hear ya loud and clear there. I honestly can't remember the last movie I saw him in... Never seen the John Wick films. OK, I just looked up his resume on IMDb, and the last film I saw him in was The Lake House. I'm definitely missing out on this career resurgence he's having. Ah, well. Like the poster upthread said, keep him away from any part with an accent, and it shouldn't be a total train wreck. I still LOL whenever I watch him in Bram Stoker's Dracula. Good times. 

I love John Wick, those movies a great fun.  

As much as I love Keanu he isn't a good actor, not awful just generally wooden.  It blows my mind that he's played so many iconic/pop culture characters; Ted Theodore Logan, Neo, John Wick, not to mention Jack in Speed and of course Johnny Utah (even though I loath Point Break - not Thor). 

On a personal level, I will always love Tod from Parenthood and i used to quote this line all the time (sadly) You know, Mrs. Buckman, you need a license to buy a dog, or drive a car. Hell, you need a license to catch a fish! But they'll let any butt-reaming asshole be a father. 

Another personal preference i loved him as the romantic supporting character in Something's Got to Give.  Frankly Diane Keaton ending up with Jack Nicholson was such a WTF for me?!  Lady he's a hot young doctor and it's freaking Keanu Reeves and you want to be with the 80 year old loser who was screwing your daughter!?  

So yeah, i think Keanu would be a great add to the MCU provided they write a character that doesn't require a lot of range.  Just let Keanu be Keanu and put really good actors that love to chew scenery in the movie and it will work, IMO

• Love 7

Keanu Reeves has a reputation for being a very professional actor on set. There is a reason he's made a lot of movies as an action star. He's fully committed when he trains for movies and there aren't  many lead actors with his experience and skills. He's known to be reliable on set (no drama, no issues) and he remains friends with not only other fellow actors, but also crew members. I think he is well loved by certain people in the industry. 

He probably doesn't need the MCU money, but I'm always glad to see him on screen and at least Marvel is consistently decent with its scripts and characters.  As for Gambit? Eh, I could take it or leave it. 

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, Macbeth said:

I don't think Marvel is considering Keanu for every movie.  But I think this is Feige covering his butt, as John Wick 3 (a rated R sequel)  was the movie that knocked Endgame out of 1st place.  As of June 16th - JW3 has earned about 275 million worldwide.  

Covering his butt for what? What's there to cover his butt for?

I just don't get it. He's the mastermind behind a 20 billion dollar franchise. I love Keanu but come on.

I'm sure they have approached him for every available white male role over 35 in the MCU. He's a popular actor with a dedicated fanbase.

• Love 7

I haven’t see them posted here but Collider is doing a weekly series on the MCU. The author is going through the films in order focusing on the behind the scenes details. It’s up Winter Soldier and so far it’s been really interesting. I was only a casual fan through phase 1 so I missed a lot of the early details.  It is interesting to see just how loose the plan was early on. I makes the scope of the infinity saga even more impressive. 

My big takeaways so far are that Feige really is brilliant and the Perlmutter really is a misogynistic ass. 

HOW THE MCU WAS MADE

2 hours ago, JessePinkman said:

Covering his butt for what? What's there to cover his butt for?

I just don't get it. He's the mastermind behind a 20 billion dollar franchise.

I don't know why.  It doesn't make sense to me either.  But it appears to me there is some butt covering going on.  Why else are they re releasing Endgame in theaters with a couple of new scenes?  Are they doing this as they want it to make more money than Avatar?  Will the studio consider it a failure ultimately if it didn't make more than Avatar?

You can never underestimate Hollywood's greed.

16 minutes ago, Macbeth said:

I don't know why.  It doesn't make sense to me either.  But it appears to me there is some butt covering going on.  Why else are they re releasing Endgame in theaters with a couple of new scenes?  Are they doing this as they want it to make more money than Avatar?  Will the studio consider it a failure ultimately if it didn't make more than Avatar?

I think that the relative failures of X-Men and Men In Black left some screen space. So going for a fan record with the potential of further Spider-Man promotion 

17 minutes ago, Macbeth said:

While I’m sure they would love if this gets them past Avatar it’s probably to build hype for Far From Home. It’s the same reason Captain Marvel was first featured in a Endgame trailer just before the movies second weekend. It’s just one more way to get Marvel back in the news and hopefully drive people to the theaters. 

39 minutes ago, Macbeth said:

This movie is one of the few (the only?) to get close to breaking Avatar's record, so I can see why they want to do everything they can to get there.

• Love 5
55 minutes ago, Macbeth said:

What does that have to do with Keanu Reeves?

• Love 1

I got it! Reeves should play Kang the Conqueror, the tyrant from the future who goes up against the Avengers. The Avengers travel to the far future to Kang’s era and discover his real identity: Ted (Theodore) Logan gone mad. 

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

I honestly don't know. I liked Taylor Kitsch in the role, but that ship sailed a long time ago. Can't stand the thought of Channing Tatum playing him, because regardless of how talented people may think Tatum is (I don't rate him much), I just think he's a bad fit for the character.

If they went with a young Gambit, then a left-field choice like Joe Keery might be interesting. Older? Maybe Boyd Holbrook, or someone similar. To be honest, I doubt I'll ever see a Gambit worth talking about on the screen.

If Marvel reboots the X-Men, they'll start with the 1980s characters (because most people in positions of power at Marvel are 80s fanboys) - Wolverine, Colossus, Storm, Kitty, Cyclops, Jean, Rogue, Iceman etc. The 90s characters will be some way down the line, if they appear at all.

Tatum is beyond wrong for the role, IMO. It's not Nicolas Cage as Superman bad, but it's pretty damned bad. I didn't adore Kitsch, but he had charm and charisma. It's a shame he didn't even attempt the accent and just went for a general southerner. Best thing about that shitbomb of a film was Liev Schreiber as Sabertooth. 

I'm not very familiar with Keery or Holbrook. I have seen the latter in Logan, though. I think we potentially could see an awesome Gambit onscreen, but it would take casting the likes of Evans as Cap or Holland as Spidey. Someone out there is perfect for the role. Get on that shit, casting directors! 

I don't like the idea of them casting young for the X-Men. Do a Generation X film down the line... I was gonna say New Mutants, but that fresh turd is already on it's way to stink up the joint. Anyhoo, my point is I'm totally sour on the idea of seeing the original 5 as teenagers. Those last 2 Fox films nearly broke me. And I haven't even seen Dark Phoenix. That's how broken I am. I'll wait until that disappointment airs on TV. 

11 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I love John Wick, those movies a great fun.  

As much as I love Keanu he isn't a good actor, not awful just generally wooden.  It blows my mind that he's played so many iconic/pop culture characters; Ted Theodore Logan, Neo, John Wick, not to mention Jack in Speed and of course Johnny Utah (even though I loath Point Break - not Thor). 

Oh, noes! I love me some original flavor Point Break! 

• Love 2
On 6/21/2019 at 12:47 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

Another personal preference i loved him as the romantic supporting character in Something's Got to Give.  Frankly Diane Keaton ending up with Jack Nicholson was such a WTF for me?!  Lady he's a hot young doctor and it's freaking Keanu Reeves and you want to be with the 80 year old loser who was screwing your daughter!? 

Thank you! I took that as a sign Keaton's character was suffering dementia.

On 6/21/2019 at 2:30 PM, calliope1975 said:

This tweet is from Scott Derrickson who directed Doctor Strange. Any roles in the Strange universe that Keanu could do in the sequel? I can see him as mysterious and zen. That would play to his strengths. 😄

Oh Lord, Derrickson's going to whitewash Kaluu (the Ancient One's old nemesis) too, isn't he? I get that casting widely-beloved actors in those roles helps offset the reaction to that, but Swinton also brought being one of the most talented actors on the planet to the table.

2 hours ago, Dee said:

That interview got talked about a lot a couple of months ago. After listening to it I think most articles are mixing up two separate things that they say. They start out talking about having the first openly gay character in Endgame and the suggestion that other characters might be gay. Then they mention there will be an announcement of a openly gay character in an upcoming movie. 

My interpretation is that the upcoming announcement is probably about The Eternals and not an existing character. 

I do think that Valkyrie and others will be revealed to LGBTQ but that will probably come after The Eternals. 

(edited)

Valkyrie as a lesbian wouldn't be much of a reveal -- it was strongly hinted at in Ragnorak, plus I wouldn't expect her to show up in another movie soon. Long shot possibility for Black Panther (2021)?

Edited by clack
  • Love 1

Valkyrie should be bi, right? It's strongly hinted that her lover took a sword for her in the flashback to the Valkyries vs Hela (speaking of which... does Valkyrie have an actual name? In the comics she was also Brunnhilde but I don't recall that ever coming up in Ragnarok.)

Tessa Thompson has been pretty open about Valkyrie being bisexual so if they just went ahead and confirmed that and worked with it going forward I would be totally cool with that.

• Love 1

Most likely. And they hinted that Mantis is lesbian when she said that Drax wasn't even of the right kind for her to be sexually attracted to...which is pretty vague, but certainly can be read as him not having the right gender.

Valkyrie seems a strong possibility. So does Nebula, if she even has sexual desires after all the modifications Thanos inflicted on her.

Mantis, maybe. Or someone even more minor, like Wong or Ned. Carol makes a lot of sense, from a character and storyline perspective, but I doubt they go with her, because the headlines from two-bit 'news' outlets will all be "Already controversial character gets even more controversial!'

• Love 3

Well, you also have the concept of what beings other than humans from earth even identify as. Hell, we've already seen Wanda and Vision falling in love. What is Vision exactly? The comics describe him as a synthoid or something, right? So in the MCU his body is, what, bio-synthetic due to the work of Dr. Cho and whatever that tank actually created... and then it's also a combination of Tony's AI and the Mind Stone. So does this fall under a pansexual definition? Does Vision necessarily HAVE a gender? Yes, he looks like Paul Bettany and when he was with Wanda at the beginning of Infinity War he certainly altered himself to look more human. Is the Wanda/Vision attraction based on their current existence (presumably... we have no idea if Vision is even alive again or whatever) attributed to the Infinity Stones?

Then you've got Loki who, even in Norse mythology, seems pretty genderfluid. I still don't care what anyone says, Steve Rogers came off about as bisexual as it gets (he may have called Peggy the love of his life but his actions suggest he had at least two others.) Natasha could easily fit into the aromantic spectrum. There are a LOT of possibilities already on the table.

• Love 6
28 minutes ago, Dandesun said:

Well, you also have the concept of what beings other than humans from earth even identify as. Hell, we've already seen Wanda and Vision falling in love. What is Vision exactly? The comics describe him as a synthoid or something, right? So in the MCU his body is, what, bio-synthetic due to the work of Dr. Cho and whatever that tank actually created... and then it's also a combination of Tony's AI and the Mind Stone. So does this fall under a pansexual definition? Does Vision necessarily HAVE a gender? Yes, he looks like Paul Bettany and when he was with Wanda at the beginning of Infinity War he certainly altered himself to look more human. Is the Wanda/Vision attraction based on their current existence (presumably... we have no idea if Vision is even alive again or whatever) attributed to the Infinity Stones?

Then you've got Loki who, even in Norse mythology, seems pretty genderfluid. I still don't care what anyone says, Steve Rogers came off about as bisexual as it gets (he may have called Peggy the love of his life but his actions suggest he had at least two others.) Natasha could easily fit into the aromantic spectrum. There are a LOT of possibilities already on the table.

I wish they would have made Natasha explicitly asexual in Age of Ultron instead of what we got.  Bruce tells Natasha that a sexual relationship is impossible between then and her response should have been "it's okay, I am asexual and am not looking for that" instead of I can't have kids.  

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, Dandesun said:

I like the idea of Vision being asexual to begin with, but developing sexual desires simply because he had feelings for Wanda. I have no idea what sort of physical relationship they had (in the comics they were married, and presumably had a sex life), but I figure that if he'd developed strong feelings for a man instead of Wanda, then he'd have equally been willing and able.

Natasha's initial lack of interest in love (as she said to Loki in The Avengers) seemed to be due to her training and experiences, more than a lack of interest in sex and romance. The way Scarlett said "love is for children" spoke to me of someone who had been hurt in the past, and had either chosen or been conditioned to reject it.

In the comics, of course, she has a long relationship history that includes Daredevil, Hawkeye and Bucky. But given her utter lack of any convincing interest in Bruce, in Age of Ultron, maybe MCU Nat is asexual.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

I have no idea what sort of physical relationship they had (in the comics they were married, and presumably had a sex life), but I figure that if he'd developed strong feelings for a man instead of Wanda, then he'd have equally been willing and able.

MCU Vision seemed to have limited shapechanging abilities, so could probably function however he pleased. In the comics we've seen Vision without his "skin" and he didn't appear to have plumbing of any sort, so I guess his gender was mainly based on his mind being based on Simon Willliams' brain patterns. (Though of course being a Ken doll doesn't rule out a sex life, and Wanda's crazy powers made whatever they did capable of producing children.)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Dandesun said:

There are a LOT of possibilities already on the table.

And MCU!Bucky is a combination of a canon queer character from the comics & comics Bucky (and played by an actor who has played out queer characters in the past), so yeah... there are a lot of possibilities.  

2 hours ago, swanpride said:

Most likely. And they hinted that Mantis is lesbian when she said that Drax wasn't even of the right kind for her to be sexually attracted to...which is pretty vague, but certainly can be read as him not having the right gender.

Of course, Mantis could be from a species where the genders don't really match what we're used to on Earth.

• Love 1

If one spoiler in particular that I read concerning FFH is true, I am done with the MCU. I mean I'm already mostly out the door after the imho travesty that was Endgame but that will seal it for me.

On 6/28/2019 at 11:55 AM, scriggle said:

If one spoiler in particular that I read concerning FFH is true, I am done with the MCU. I mean I'm already mostly out the door after the imho travesty that was Endgame but that will seal it for me.

Now you have me curious...  Which part?