Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

Honestly, if they decided they wanted to do female Thor (which shouldn't be too surprising, as Thor spent quite some time as a woman in recent years), I wish they'd gone a bit more out of the box and found a woman who is as statuesque and imposing as Chris Hemsworth.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, swanpride said:

Never really liked the notion of a lady Thor (I basically dislike this kind of legacy characters in general, there is only one Thor, if they want to give someone powers, fine, but call it something else), but okay, let's see where they will be going with this one.

The comics story could have been really cheap, but it was honestly WONDERFUL.  It ran for four years, and it was kind of devastating when it ended.  I very rarely think this, but I would have been fine for Jane to continue as Thor for a long, long time.

8 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

I wish they'd gone a bit more out of the box and found a woman who is as statuesque and imposing as Chris Hemsworth.

It would have meant recasting Jane.  They pulled off a major recast once, but I don't know if they could manage it again, especially when they're much deeper into their story.    Plus, maybe Brie can give Natalie some Jeep-pushing pointers.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, starri said:

It would have meant recasting Jane.  They pulled off a major recast once, but I don't know if they could manage it again, especially when they're much deeper into their story.    Plus, maybe Brie can give Natalie some Jeep-pushing pointers.

They could just have a different woman be Thor. There's nothing in the current MCU that suggests Jane could, or should, be Thor, and they already abandoned the idea that Thor has a human avatar/alter-ego.

Explaining why Jane gets the powers of Thor will be a bigger stretch, as far as I can tell, than having a random Asgardian woman have them.

• Love 4

Wow that was a lot of info dropped. I hope we get more news on Black Panther 2 and Captain Marvel 2 at D23. 

I'm excited for Blade with Mahershala Ali. I'm another that couldn't see his career taking off quite like this from the 4400 even though he was one of the better actors on that show. I can't wait to see his take on Blade. As an Asian I hope Shang-Chi does well but as a character he doesn't seem that interesting. I will watch it though. Dr. Strange was okay, even then I will watch any movie Marvel puts out. 

I'm also here to see what Marvel does with the Fantastic Four and the mutants. 

It's a little to late for the Black Widow movie, they should made it a few years ago. I'm on the fence with the tv shows (I'm definitely subscribing to Disney+) I just am not that interested in the characters on those shows. 

• Love 1

Wow, a lot to take in here. At the moment, my biggest point of excitement is that 1) Tony Leung Chiu-wai is finally gonna be in an American movie and 2) it's a freaking MCU film! It's Tony Leung Chiu-wai (In the Mood for Love, Hero, Hard Boiled) as the Mandarin in Shang Chi, BTW - don't know if there are any other Hong Kong movie fans here, but when I saw his name in the announcement, my brain went, "Chiu-wai or Ka-fai? Chiu-wai or Ka-fai?", clicked on several different links that wouldn't tell me, and finally Googled "shang chi which tony leung."

So much other stuff that excites or intrigues. I'm pumped for a lot of the TV shows, and I'm interested in Lady Thor (haven't read the comic run, but I've heard good things about it) while, like some, wondering what tone Waititi will give it.

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

I'm excited for Blade with Mahershala Ali. I'm another that couldn't see his career taking off quite like this from the 4400 even though he was one of the better actors on that show. I can't wait to see his take on Blade

What is interesting is that Marvel has gone from saying that Alfre Woodard being in Civil War and Luke Cage was a mistake to getting Mahershala Ali from Luke Cage to play Blade. It is a pretty strong signal that they don't give a shit about Marvel Television.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Danny Franks said:

Honestly, if they decided they wanted to do female Thor (which shouldn't be too surprising, as Thor spent quite some time as a woman in recent years), I wish they'd gone a bit more out of the box and found a woman who is as statuesque and imposing as Chris Hemsworth.

I don't have any candidates. The late pro wrestler Chyna ,assuming her acting goes beyond WWE promos, is the image of just as imposing as Chris Hemsworth that comes to my mind 

8 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

What is interesting is that Marvel has gone from saying that Alfre Woodard being in Civil War and Luke Cage was a mistake to getting Mahershala Ali from Luke Cage to play Blade. It is a pretty strong signal that they don't give a shit about Marvel Television.

My first reaction was wait he was already in the MCU, but it was a TV show. They really don't care about the TV shows and keep ignoring them more and more.  While I like Mahershala Ali this kind of bothered me that he will be playing a second character, as silly as it is. I do think he'll do a great job and most people wouldn't even know he was already in Luke Cage.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Danny Franks said:

They could just have a different woman be Thor. There's nothing in the current MCU that suggests Jane could, or should, be Thor, and they already abandoned the idea that Thor has a human avatar/alter-ego.

To me, if they're going to tell the story (even if they do it without some of the heavier elements), the audience needs to have an emotional connection to whoever is going to pick up the hammer.  How much the audience is connected to Jane is debatable, but they would literally be starting from scratch with a new character.

• Useful 1
13 hours ago, Dani said:

–The Falcon and the Winter Solider is debuting on Disney+ with Anthony Mackie and Sebastian Stan. Daniel Bruhl is returning as villain Zemo. He facetimed in and revealed he was coming back in his character’s voice.

From here:

It begins with the code words that active Winter Soldier, and Baron Zemo sits into frame wearing a coat, looking ragged with a beard. He says he’s hijacked the panel, says, “Gentlemen, I’ll be seeing you very soon,” and then puts on the purple mask that the classic version of the character wears and the video goes haywire.

So... it sounds like they're basically doing what Cap 3 could have been, just without Steve/CE (what it should have been without shoehorning Tony and the Accords bullshit into it).  It will probably be quite a few more years before I can watch this, but I'll be interested to see the gif sets that come out of it. And I'm sure there will be much fodder for fic writers to incorporate Steve, and I'll look forward to that too.  

• Love 1

Excited to hear confirmation that F4 and X-Men are coming soon(ish). 

Not interested in Thor 4 with Janet as Thor. I'd rather have Sif back. Nothing against Portable who I generally like but, I think she just does awful work in Sci-fi/fantasy type movies. I'm also not sure of she can do Comedy. I think she played that James Franco fantasy/Comedy as the straight person

All in all general positive thoughts save Thor 4 but I can just skip that

• Love 3

I realize it's a bit dated and over-used but I just knew that someone would post an Oprah-esque "and you get a show! and you get a show!" and tumblr did not disappoint. You could probably count the delay in minutes.

So much info to digest. And I love all of it. (Well, most of it. I want the Jane!Thor storyline but I don't want Portman doing it, so I'll need to hype myself a bit for that.)

But mostly I just watched the SDCC footage for the pretty. Just... so so many attractive and talented people. Marvel's casting dept basically has the best job in the world.

12 minutes ago, WritinMan said:

Portman suddenly cares about Jane Foster? I'm guessing a large truck of money was involved.

Would there have been though. It is not like Marvel needs Natalie Portman/Jane Foster.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, WritinMan said:

Portman suddenly cares about Jane Foster? I'm guessing a large truck of money was involved.

She only stopped caring about Jane when Patty Jenkins was replaced and Jane’s role in Thor 2 changed. Since she agreed to come back it’s probably because of Taika Waititi and what he has planned. 

1 hour ago, WritinMan said:

Wait a minute...is there going to be a Thor 4 AND Thor: Love and Thunder or are they the same movie?

Same movie. 

7 hours ago, Raja said:

I don't have any candidates. The late pro wrestler Chyna ,assuming her acting goes beyond WWE promos, is the image of just as imposing as Chris Hemsworth that comes to my mind 

Gina Carano would be the current version. She's already working for Disney, on Star Wars. But anyway, I'm interested to see what Natalie Portman does.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Anduin said:

Gina Carano would be the current version. She's already working for Disney, on Star Wars. But anyway, I'm interested to see what Natalie Portman does.

I remember her getting a lead  role when she was getting all the news as best MMA fighter then she lost the big TV fight and Rhonda Rousey emerged as baddest woman on the planet. Besides that there was Deadpool and Fast & Furious where Rhonda Rousey did their next movie.

I don't see how she brinks the stature that Chris Helmsworth does. I would just stick with Jamie Alexander and Tessa Thompson

2 hours ago, Enigma X said:

I'm easy. I am excited about every upcoming Marvel show and movie. Is there not another Spiderman movie slated for phase 4 though?

There still could be. Sony would be the one announcing any Spider-Man sequels.  

I just heard the news! Tony Leung Chiu-wai will be the villain in The Eternals. He is one of the greatest actors of his generation in any country! This is so freaking exciting. Just like it was a sin that people in the U.S. didn't know who Michelle Yeoh was so many years, it was similarly horrific that people don't know who Tony Leung is. Finally he is getting the exposure that he deserves.

I am also thrilled that Lauren Ridloff has been cast in The Eternals. She is so freaking talented and I love seeing her blow up. From Children of the Lesser God on Broadway to The Walking Dead and now a Marvel superhero!

• Love 2
(edited)

I will also concur that Natalie Portman returning to Thor is ridiculous. Maybe they are bringing her back to kill her off so that Thor can move on with Valkyrie or someone else. There is no space for Jane in the franchise. I thought Hemsworth wanted Taika Waititi to kill off all of Thor's buds so he could have a fresh start. Why not just keep moving forward?

Also, I am not looking forward to that Black Window movie. Like Jeremy Remy, I have never found Scarlett Johansson charismatic enough to carry a movie. And besides, we all know how it ends.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Excited to hear confirmation that F4 and X-Men are coming soon(ish). 

Not interested in Thor 4 with Janet as Thor. I'd rather have Sif back. Nothing against Portable who I generally like but, I think she just does awful work in Sci-fi/fantasy type movies. I'm also not sure of she can do Comedy. I think she played that James Franco fantasy/Comedy as the straight person

All in all general positive thoughts save Thor 4 but I can just skip that

I also don't have a problem with her when she isn't in sci-fi/fantasy. Her acting is sub-par in those genres. Not unlike Halle Berry, who is competent enough to win an Oscar in a dramatic role, but downright AWFUL as Storm. 

• Love 2

I'm in the group who thinks it's not a good idea to bring her back. Nothing against Natalie Portman but I think Jane should stay out of it. Her and Thor broke up a long time ago, she never bothered to contact him while he spend five years on earth (of course she may have been one of the snapped). But either way they haven't been together for a while. And Thor left Earth with the Guardians.

• Love 3

Jane is back for the same reason that Thor teamed with Hulk in Ragnorak: the Lady Thor comic, like the Planet Hulk one, tells a compelling story.

Anyway, it's likely that Portman as Jane will be done after this movie, because Jane dies and Thor Odinson becomes the God of Thunder once again.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Raja said:

I remember her getting a lead  role when she was getting all the news as best MMA fighter then she lost the big TV fight and Rhonda Rousey emerged as baddest woman on the planet. Besides that there was Deadpool and Fast & Furious where Rhonda Rousey did their next movie.

I don't see how she brinks the stature that Chris Helmsworth does. I would just stick with Jamie Alexander and Tessa Thompson

I admit Carano is a little short, but she does have that solid build that says strength. I could see her as a female Thor.

It is a little odd to bring Jane back at this stage, but I liked Portman in V for Vendetta and Annihilation.  I am curious how her style will blend with the director's brand of comedy.

The Blade reveal was a welcome surprise.  The original is justly a cult classic, but with modern effects and a performer like Mahershala Ali this has real potential.

• Love 2

I guess is it was mandatory to gender-flip some characters in The Eternals, because, Title IX, or something (are we still supposed to believe Makkari was confused with the Greco-Roman Hermes/Mercury?) but what is the point of ethnic-flipping characters when those characters are already, or plausibly already, non-white? Kingo Sunen was a samurai and Japanese film star so why not go with a Japanese or east Asian actor? Gilgamesh could have been cast with an actor of middle eastern descent rather than one from Korea. But this is Hollywood so screw the source material.

For the record, I was fine with the Ancient One in Doctor Strange because, hey, Tilda Swinton.

• Love 1

I forgot to mention Blade. I was surprised at the reboot, but happily so because I thought the Wesley Snipes version sucked. I just hope they cast someone good in the role. 

54 minutes ago, Terrafamilia said:

For the record, I was fine with the Ancient One in Doctor Strange because, hey, Tilda Swinton.

Yeah, my reaction pretty much went

SCREENWRITER: Because of problematic racial stereotypes and political issues, the Ancient One will now be a Celtic woman...

ME: What? Why the hell would you need to change that rather than just make the portrayal a nuanced three-dimensional one?

SCREENWRITER: ... played by Tilda Swinton.

ME: SOLD!

6 hours ago, WritinMan said:

Marvel likes their big-name actors.

I am not trying to be contrary or a smart aleck, but RDJ's star was fading when he was cast. And I would not consider Evans, Ruffalo, Hemsworth, Pratt, Bozeman, Hiddleston, Holland, or the majority of the new class announced big names at the time they joined Marvel. Yes, some were in movies or TV but not huge. Of course, there are some big names, but I don't think Marvel is overloaded with them. In fact, Marvel has made many an actor a big name after the fact.

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

I am not trying to be contrary or a smart aleck, but RDJ's star was fading when he was cast. And I would not consider Evans, Ruffalo, Hemsworth, Pratt, Bozeman, Hiddleston, Holland, or the majority of the new class announced big names at the time they joined Marvel. Yes, some were in movies or TV but not huge. Of course, there are some big names, but I don't think Marvel is overloaded with them. In fact, Marvel has made many an actor a big name after the fact.

Marvel wasn't "Marvel" when they hired RDJ. Same is true for most of the others you mentioned--not Boseman or Holland though. They got Samuel L. Jackson. They got Cumberbatch. They get a variety of highly respected actors in supporting roles. And actually "respected actors" might be the better term. Award winners and nominees (Angela Bassett and Forest Whitaker in Black Panther alone.) Now they go after people like Angelina Jolie. They tried to get Joaquin Phoenix.

The majority of the time they can get them because now they're "Marvel." But the majority of these actors would never have gotten involved with Marvel during the days of Iron Man.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, WritinMan said:

Marvel wasn't "Marvel" when they hired RDJ. Same is true for most of the others you mentioned--not Boseman or Holland though. They got Samuel L. Jackson. They got Cumberbatch. They get a variety of highly respected actors in supporting roles. And actually "respected actors" might be the better term. Award winners and nominees (Angela Bassett and Forest Whitaker in Black Panther alone.) Now they go after people like Angelina Jolie. They tried to get Joaquin Phoenix.

The majority of the time they can get them because now they're "Marvel." But the majority of these actors would never have gotten involved with Marvel during the days of Iron Man.

I still don't see Marvel as having too many A-listers or too little newcomers. Different strokes. I think there is a mix and usually to sell tickets there has to be.

• Love 1

I hope they stick more to the unknowns or little knowns though. I like getting to know these actors I'd never heard of through these movies. It's also a smart move like when they cast Tom Hiddleston and he just blew up. I like not knowing much about the actors. I'd never heard of Sebastian Stan in my life but now, well, it's true love.  I figure they used to cast lesser known because it was way cheaper but now I think they could cast paper bags and people would still go see them. So they really don't need to cast many big names although I don't mind a few. I actually like the Angelina Jolie casting.

I do wish they would have just let NatPort be a memory. She didn't really do anything with the role of Jane whereas I felt like Gwyneth took the role of Pepper somewhere interesting from the start and she was just the typical girlfriend role same as Jane. Shit, I just don't care for NatPort that much. She in there with Brad Pitt and Ryan Gosling in the actors  "I must be missing something cause I just don't get it" club.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, clack said:

Jane is back for the same reason that Thor teamed with Hulk in Ragnorak: the Lady Thor comic, like the Planet Hulk one, tells a compelling story.

Anyway, it's likely that Portman as Jane will be done after this movie, because Jane dies and Thor Odinson becomes the God of Thunder once again.

I'm not here to see Thor lose yet another loved one. I may not care for Portman as Jane, but I don't want to see her die either. That would just be cruel at this point.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Enigma X said:

I think Marvel made more stars than they hired.

Of the initial six, RDJ was by far the biggest name. But he was also the biggest risk. Few people doubted he could make a really good Tony Stark, but nearly everyone doubted he'd stay out of trouble long enough to do it.

Then Scarlett Johansson, who was actually their second choice after the (at the time) less well known Emily Blunt, was a big star in her own right. But she wasn't exactly known as an action movie actress. Evans and Ruffalo were left field choices, for different reasons (Evans had already played Johnny Storm, Ruffalo was known mostly as a romcom guy).

I understand them going back to Natalie Portman, because Jane Foster is a known character, to both comic book readers and movie audiences. And I understand her wanting to revisit it, if she felt there was unfinished business. It's not what I would have chosen, but whatever.

I do hope they continue to do creative things when casting movies, and that seems to be what's happening with Phase 4.

Also, I still hope that they decide to recast Katherine Langford, after not using her scenes in Endgame, and have her play Kate Bishop. It's a shame that Renner is such a dud, because they look to be basing that show on Matt Fraction's Hawkeye series, which was a lot of fun.

• Love 1

Marvel likes the big names for the villains. For the heroes they tend to prefer fairly young stars, if for no other reason because they can tie the young stars down in a multiple movie contract more easily.

Plus, Marvel might have the best casting director in the whole business. She has been done an excellent job so far.

• Love 3

I don't think anyone was asking for Natalie Portman to come back. I'll give her a chance with a different director and writer to see what she can do. I loved Ragnarok, lets see if Waititi can do something better with her character. 

I think the bigger stars are coming to Marvel to be in their movies now since it's become the most popular franchise in the world. They wouldn't have looked twice at it in the beginning. Everyone wants to be a part of it now. And then of course when the do become has beens they always have Comic Cons to fall back on for the rest of their lives. 

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, swanpride said:

Marvel likes the big names for the villains. For the heroes they tend to prefer fairly young stars, if for no other reason because they can tie the young stars down in a multiple movie contract more easily.

Villains and supporting characters. Even back in Phase 1, Marvel was very careful to cast big-name actors in supporting roles to help draw fans to the movies headlined by relative unknowns. (Portman, Russo, Hopkins, and Skarsgard in Thor—maybe Elba too, I can’t remember just how big he was at that time; TLJ, Tucci, and Hugo Weaving in CA:TFA; even Paltrow, Howard, Bridges, and Bettany’s voice in Iron Man, though RDJ was more known than Evans or Hemsworth.)

(edited)

My initial thoughts is I'm more excited about the TV side of things than I am than the movie side.  Particularly Falcon and Winter Soldier and What if.

I have no interest in The Eternals or Shang-Chi.  Black Widow isn't exactly something I'm batting down the door to see.  But providing the reviews are good, I will of course see all of them.  This seems like it will be Marvel's time to experiment, particularly with the lesser known properties.  They've more than earned the right to do so.

Strange should be trippy and I'm glad that Wanda will be a part of it.

Thor: Love and Thunder is definitely the one I'm most intrigued with and I guess we should have seen this coming when Portman did that little thing for Endgame.  Definitely the most intriguing and good for Jason Aaron for getting credit here.  I'll be looking forward to this the most moviewise.

I can't wait for What if.  Jeffrey Wright is a GREAT CHOICE for the voice of Uatu and I never realized how much until he was cast.

I noticed Spider-Man wasn't listed.  I guess some things still need to be worked out with Sony.

It's interesting that they'll be waiting at least four years for a Black Panther sequel.

Mahershala Ali as Blade was a surprise and cool announcement.  Poor Wesley Snipes.   ;) I suspect he'll be part of the new movie though.  Everyone has been looking at FF and X-Men that everyone forgot Blade.  Looking forward to when X-Men gets developed again and it makes sense to give them a rest for a little while.

Edited by benteen

I am actually most excited about The Eternals. And, as much as I like the discovering of an “unknown,” in my mind there are some big names that I would love to join the Marvel Universe.  (Shrugs)

(edited)

Mahershala Ali as Blade? Excellent casting. I look forward to seeing the rest of the cast. I hope that we see talented younger African American actors like Jharrel Jerome get a shot at the supporting roles.

1 hour ago, Sakura12 said:

I think the bigger stars are coming to Marvel to be in their movies now since it's become the most popular franchise in the world. They wouldn't have looked twice at it in the beginning. Everyone wants to be a part of it now. And then of course when the do become has beens they always have Comic Cons to fall back on for the rest of their lives. 

Agreed. Look at Angelina Jolie. A few years ago, I doubt that she would have given a Marvel movie even a sniff, but she is a A-list star who has struggled to open movies in recent years. I think Maleficent was her biggest and only box office hit. Taking on a leading role in MCU is an opportunity to revive her reputation and make some money at the same time.

Edited by SimoneS
9 hours ago, Jeebus Cripes said:

I'm not here to see Thor lose yet another loved one. I may not care for Portman as Jane, but I don't want to see her die either. That would just be cruel at this point.

In the comics, no death is permanent. Jane dies, but is reborn as Valkyrie. Don't know how the movie will play it, though.

The problem I see with Portman is how tiny she is. She could barely hold Mjolnir aloft during the panel. But then, Scarlett Johansson  and Tessa Thompson are just as tiny, and that hasn't stopped them from being action stars.

Right now I'm more excited about the TV stuff too especially F & WS and What If. 

1 hour ago, Enigma X said:

I am actually most excited about The Eternals. And, as much as I like the discovering of an “unknown,” in my mind there are some big names that I would love to join the Marvel Universe.  (Shrugs)

I think the cast for The Eternals looks exciting. I admit that I don't know anything about them but I knew nothing about the Guardians of the Galaxy either but I went to see that movie because it was in the genre of stuff I like and I walked out a huge fan.

I have some bigger names I want to join the MCU too, I think we all do. Joseph Gordon Levitt, Nicholas Hoult, and I already got my wish with Mahershala Ali. Also of course I want to see Keanu get in there somehow.

Chris Evans for Reed Richards please. Bring that shit around full circle! 😂😉

• Love 1