Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, stealinghome said:

Villains and supporting characters. Even back in Phase 1, Marvel was very careful to cast big-name actors in supporting roles to help draw fans to the movies headlined by relative unknowns. (Portman, Russo, Hopkins, and Skarsgard in Thor—maybe Elba too, I can’t remember just how big he was at that time; TLJ, Tucci, and Hugo Weaving in CA:TFA; even Paltrow, Howard, Bridges, and Bettany’s voice in Iron Man, though RDJ was more known than Evans or Hemsworth.)

And Terrace Howard was coming off of an Oscars nomination and payed more than Robert Downey Jr. I think that when Thor was made Idris Elba was known for Stringer Bell on The Wire but before Luther and in the running for the next big thing 

I never read the Sam Wilson as Captain America comic run, but how could that work?

Does having the shield automatically make you Captain America? If  Sam handed the shield to someone else would that person then become Cap? And doesn't CA need superpowers -- strength, endurance, speed, agility, etc -- none of which Wilson possesses?

Both Sam and Bucky became Captain America in the comics, but that worked only because readers knew that Steve Rogers would be back eventually. Chris Evans is likely gone for good.

7 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

It's a shame that Renner is such a dud, because they look to be basing that show on Matt Fraction's Hawkeye series, which was a lot of fun.

I don't see how they can keep the storyline anywhere near that marvelous Fraction run, because in it Clint was this lovable loser stumbling/bedhopping his way from one disaster to another in NYC and building a found family with Kate. In the MCU he's a spiteful murderous vigilante who already has a family out of Ozzie and Harriet on a farm somewhere out in the boondocks WAY the hell away from the urban areas and street crime featured in the comics series.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I have read a little bit of comic Hawkeye stuff but have not read the Fraction run. I need to get on that. 

I've always been kind of disappointed with Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye. I think he's okay and I don't hate him but neither has he ever been very interesting to me. I'm not really excited about his show at all. I'll still watch it though. I will still always wish Jensen Ackles would have been Hawkeye and I'm not even a stan of his. He just has more personality and charisma than JR.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, clack said:

I never read the Sam Wilson as Captain America comic run, but how could that work?

Does having the shield automatically make you Captain America? If  Sam handed the shield to someone else would that person then become Cap? And doesn't CA need superpowers -- strength, endurance, speed, agility, etc -- none of which Wilson possesses?

Both Sam and Bucky became Captain America in the comics, but that worked only because readers knew that Steve Rogers would be back eventually. Chris Evans is likely gone for good.

I never read Sam's run as Captain America but Bucky's run was great.

1 hour ago, festivus said:

I have read a little bit of comic Hawkeye stuff but have not read the Fraction run. I need to get on that. 

I've always been kind of disappointed with Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye. I think he's okay and I don't hate him but neither has he ever been very interesting to me. I'm not really excited about his show at all. I'll still watch it though. I will still always wish Jensen Ackles would have been Hawkeye and I'm not even a stan of his. He just has more personality and charisma than JR.

Fraction's run is terrific, and Jensen would have been a perfect Fraction Hawkeye. Renner doesn't work with it because they've already set up his family, etc, and I like Renner. But oh the fun they could have had with JA and a younger actress as Kate Bishop. (Wistful sigh.) 

• Love 2

I am really excited about most of the announcements we have been getting, this phase seems like its going to be even bigger, wilder, and more comic book-y than ever! Lots of interesting ideas and some very promising casting, especially Mahershala Ali as Blade. I admit that I would enjoyed seeing the Fantastic Four (and Doctor Doom!!) and some other more iconic characters to show up, but the MCU was basically built on lesser known characters and concepts that no one expected to see happen on screen, so maybe  this will all be for the best. 

The one thing I am a bit meh on? Jane as Lady Thor and getting her own movie. I like Natalie Portman just fine, and I dont hate Jane or anything (I just find her kind of boring and I never really got the romance between her and Thor) but I am not that interested in her starring in her own movie. Natalie seemed like she was pretty much over the MCU and didn't like being in it very much, so her being back just screams "big old paycheck" to me, and maybe thats unfair, as all actors certainly take roles to get salaries as their primary reason for working, but a lot of the actors really do seem to care about this universe and their characters, and I dont know if we will get that from her. Plus, I guess I just feel bad that after losing just about everything and becoming so depressed and miserable in Endgame and Infinity War, Thor losing his title and powers (or renouncing them like in the comic) to his ex girlfriend who dumped him who he isn't totally over just seems...kind of mean. I dont want the movie to spend the whole time laughing about how dumb and fat he is now and kicking him while he is already down to pump Jane up as the best Thunder Deity ever. 

• Love 4
44 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

The one thing I am a bit meh on? Jane as Lady Thor and getting her own movie. I like Natalie Portman just fine, and I dont hate Jane or anything (I just find her kind of boring and I never really got the romance between her and Thor) but I am not that interested in her starring in her own movie.

They said that?  I thought she was just going to be in Thor 4?

7 hours ago, SimoneS said:

Mahershala Ali as Blade? Excellent casting. I look forward to seeing the rest of the cast. I hope that we see talented younger African American actors like Jharrel Jerome get a shot at the supporting roles.

I am surprised that it took then this long to bring back Blade. Hasn't marvel had the character rights for awhile? It really was the movie that proved that comic book movies could make money. It was like the prototype before X-men came out. Plus it seems like you could take like 75% of the story from the original movie and shoot it Marvel Style and it would be awesome.

20 hours ago, SimoneS said:

I forgot to mention Blade. I was surprised at the reboot, but happily so because I thought the Wesley Snipes version sucked. I just hope they cast someone good in the role. 

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115d362b5e3436367249

For the first two movies. The third really did suck. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, xaxat said:

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115d362b5e3436367249

For the first two movies. The third really did suck. 

I remember not really caring for the second one, although I probably haven't seen it since it first came out on dvd. But yes the 3rd did suck.

Although I find it crazy that Blade was profitable enough for 2 sequels, but at the same time no studio bothered with a hyper-violent R rated movie based on a marvel character until Deadpool.

35 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I am surprised that it took then this long to bring back Blade. Hasn't marvel had the character rights for awhile? It really was the movie that proved that comic book movies could make money. It was like the prototype before X-men came out. Plus it seems like you could take like 75% of the story from the original movie and shoot it Marvel Style and it would be awesome.

The problem was probably where would Blade fit into the MCU Infinity Saga. Every movie, save the Inhumans,  moved that storyline or those characters forward.

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

The first three phases were planned and announced when Perlmutter was still in charge. Even if Blade could have fit it the Infinity Saga Perlmutter would have never agreed to both Black Panther and Blade. 

2 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

They said that?  I thought she was just going to be in Thor 4?

It sounds like it WILL be Thor 4, called Thor: Love and Thunder, and while its hard to tell if Jane or Thor will be the true lead, or if they will be co-leads, but Jane will certainly become Lady Thor and be either the main character, or one of the two leads. 

I never hated Jane, but I didn’t miss her in Ragnarok either.  And I hate to admit it, but all my enthusiasm for Thor 4 pretty much vanished with that announcement.  It’s not that I won’t watch it, eventually, but yeah, excitement gone.  

I don’t know whether I’m just in a post-Endgame depression or what, but I can’t say any of this really catches my interest.  The Falcon/Winter Soldier tv show maybe, and maybe Shang-Chi, but that’s about it.  

I’m more interested in the stuff further out - the Fantastic Four reboot, bringing in mutants and X-Men, Black Panther 2.  Looking forward to seeing how those things develop, but we’re still a few years out from that.

• Love 5
55 minutes ago, clack said:

That's a risky slate, with these 4 in a row : Black Widow, Eternals, Shang-Chi, Doctor Strange#2. No obvious slam dunks there.

I believe the guaranteed dunks are Black Panther 2, Guardians 3 and Captain Marvel 2.

2 hours ago, Raja said:

The problem was probably where would Blade fit into the MCU Infinity Saga. Every movie, save the Inhumans,  moved that storyline or those characters forward.

Not sure if Ant Man and the Wasp really moved a whole lot forward. Plus they had no problem adding that movie to the roster when the first one was a hit, plus they added Homecoming.  It just seems odd that they ignored a property that was a proven money maker. 

1 hour ago, clack said:

That's a risky slate, with these 4 in a row : Black Widow, Eternals, Shang-Chi, Doctor Strange#2. No obvious slam dunks there.

That might be a good thing. They really can’t go up from Endgame so next year should bring expectations back down from the stratosphere. Especially since the other movies that were listed in development are slam dunks. 

13 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I believe the guaranteed dunks are Black Panther 2, Guardians 3 and Captain Marvel 2.

Not sure if Ant Man and the Wasp really moved a whole lot forward. Plus they had no problem adding that movie to the roster when the first one was a hit, plus they added Homecoming.  It just seems odd that they ignored a property that was a proven money maker. 

I really enjoyed Ant Man and Ant Man and the Wasp and hope there is another one.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Enigma X said:

I really enjoyed Ant Man and Ant Man and the Wasp and hope there is another one.

I wonder if Ant-Man 3 won’t happen until they’re ready to make Young Avengers. 

17 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

The cure for the snap and solving the Infinity Saga, so to speak, came directly from Ant-Man and The Wasp. Now some other movie/character could have been chosen for the cure but it is more than unfair to say it didn't move anything forward for the story or core characters of the Avengers.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Jeebus Cripes said:

LOL. I'd like to throw Timothy Olyphant's name out there. Especially now that he's all silver fox and whatnot. 

Yeah, I like him. Reddit seems hell bent on John Krasinski as Reed.

I've never seen Olyphant or Krasinski bring the kind of brilliant absent-minded professor vibe I think the role needs—they both come off as relatable everymen. Marvel's probably best casting a relative unknown who auditions well, but of really prominent actors that the MCU hasn't already used I think Ralph Fiennes is the best fit for me.

Pity Russell Johnson is no longer with us.

(edited)
16 hours ago, clack said:

I’m sure all of them will do fine.  I don’t know about being mega-hits, but I think Marvel has established its brand well enough by now to get people to try just about anything they put out.

For me personally though, Shang-Chi is the only one I might have an interest in.  Black Widow - yeah, I like Nat, but I would have been more interested in this pre-Endgame.  Now....well.  Eternals - I have not even the slightest flicker of interest in this one.  And as for Doctor Strange 2, I thought Doctor Strange 1 was pretty dull for the most part, so this one will probably be a pass as well.  

Edited by Starfish35

Now seems like a perfect time to take risks with unknown properties. The audience goodwill is at an all-time high and call us sheeple but we'll see almost anything Marvel puts out right now so why not go with The Eternals or Shang-Chi versus a prove commodity? If those don't work for whatever reason you always have BP2, CM2, the FF and X-Men to get the audience jazzed about again.

Is it weird that my absolute favorite part of the entire slate is the title of that Doctor Strange sequel? Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness! You have to say it with the exclamation point. It's so wonderfully comic book-y.

1 hour ago, Bruinsfan said:

Pity Russell Johnson is no longer with us.

I see someone is a Marvels fan!

(edited)

I've never had an interest in Black Widow movie, a Black Widow, Nick Fury, Clint Barton movie sure, maybe even a story about how they recruited her with a whole Spy vs Spy thing but, i have no interest in Nat as a lead.  I think Nat like Fury, Hill and even Hawkeye are better utility players than starters.

I'm excited for Eternals especially now that i know Jolie isn't playing Sersi. I'm curious about Shang-Chi, I know nothing of the character which could make for a really great experience. I have no interest in Dr. Strange 2 but, i'll probably watch it when it gets to TV

My interest in Thor 4 dropped significantly after the news, i never liked Thor/Jane and I really don't see the point of going back to that after Ragnorok.

Looks like the really good stuff, for me is much furhter out, Black Panther2, Guardians 3, Captain Marvel 2, Blade, Fantastic Four and X-Men

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

a Black Widow, Nick Fury, Clint Barton movie sure, maybe even a story about how they recruited her with a whole Spy vs Spy thing

Now that you’ve said that, I realize I might have been more interested in that as well.  Or a Black Widow/Winter Soldier movie.  Hmm. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Black Widow : will have to do something fresh with the female/superspy/kickass ninja trope we've had an overabundance of in the last few years (and will be seeing again very shortly with Charlie's Angels)

Eternals : I enjoyed Gaiman's take on this, but the subject matter doesn't really lend itself to a wacky, fun take a la Guardians of the Galaxy. The tone might be more like American Gods, actually, weird but not funny -- which doesn't exactly promise big box office. Could be a relative flop.

Shang-Chi : I'm hoping for something along the lines of 'Hidden Dragon, Crouching Tiger', rather than a more generic Kung-Fu movie. This one could go very right, or very wrong.

Doctor Strange #2 :  Trippy visuals, horror, the Scarlet Witch, a title character who's become more popular thanks to his appearance in Infinity War -- this could be a big hit

Edited by clack

I always assume Marvel is planning ahead so putting BW in the prime April/May spot (a frame Marvel properties have basically owned for 2 decades now) makes me think this movie important to the future of the MCU. But I could always just be wishin' and hopin'.

I'm eager for Eternals and Dr. Strange 2. I've been waiting on them to do a Black Widow movie for what seems like decades, so I'll see it, though all enthusiasm has fled. I have the feeling Shang-Chi could be made of awesome or a complete disappointment, and I can't yet predict which way it will go.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, JessePinkman said:

I always assume Marvel is planning ahead so putting BW in the prime April/May spot (a frame Marvel properties have basically owned for 2 decades now) makes me think this movie important to the future of the MCU. But I could always just be wishin' and hopin'.

It needs to be if it is set before Endgame.  If not, then why would people pay money to see it in theatres?  

4 hours ago, JessePinkman said:

Is it weird that my absolute favorite part of the entire slate is the title of that Doctor Strange sequel? Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness! You have to say it with the exclamation point. It's so wonderfully comic book-y.

That movie will be all about the visuals. If they can come up with crazy effects and that sort of thing it will go a long way to selling it for me.

4 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

Now that you’ve said that, I realize I might have been more interested in that as well.  Or a Black Widow/Winter Soldier movie.  Hmm. 

I am curious to see some trailers for Black Widow. I have never really thought that Scarlette was really into making a BW movie. So if she is not really into it and just sort of phoning it in for a paycheque that could turn me off a lot.

2 hours ago, clack said:

Shang-Chi : I'm hoping for something along the lines of 'Hidden Dragon, Crouching Tiger', rather than a more generic Kung-Fu movie. This one could go very right, or very wrong.

A crazy wire work style Crouching Tiger thing could be amazing. But even a straight forward kung fu movie could be awesome if they put a lot of work into the fight scenes and had a good lead(like Enter the Dragon or something). I mean the fights in Iron Fist suuuuuukkkkked, so I could really go for a good Marvel take on a martial arts thing.

23 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

But even a straight forward kung fu movie could be awesome if they put a lot of work into the fight scenes and had a good lead(like Enter the Dragon or something). I mean the fights in Iron Fist suuuuuukkkkked, so I could really go for a good Marvel take on a martial arts thing.

This is what I’m hoping for.

7 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

I’m sure all of them will do fine.  I don’t know about being mega-hits, but I think Marvel has established its brand well enough by now to get people to try just about anything they put out.

It worked for Guardians of the Galaxy.  They just a director that understands the story to which the particular characters lend themselves.  They've done a good job of that.

1 hour ago, swanpride said:

I wonder if they will also add some good oldfashioned wire fighting….

As I remember the comics the lead was not a supernatural fighter, meaning I expect to see more of The Raid, John Wick or Enter the Dragon than Crouching Tiger fighting if they are following the legacy comics