Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

Here's an article that speculates that the Fantastic Four may have already made a "ghost" appearance in the MCU, in the Spider-Man:  Homecoming movie.  

It says that Avengers Tower was sold, but it was not revealed who the buyer was.  Perhaps the buyer is Reed Richards, and perhaps it will be renamed the Baxter Building?

https://www.cbr.com/fantastic-four-buy-avengers-tower-marvel-cinematic-universe/

Personally, I preferred the Fantastic Four as renters of the Baxter Building, because they sometimes had humorous problems with their landlord.  That kind of humor would fit in perfectly in the MCU.

By the way, this article confirms that both the FF and the X-Men will be joining the MCU:

https://screenrant.com/disney-ceo-x-men-fantastic-four-mcu/

Edited by rmontro

As stated, Logan hated Scott from the beginning of the comics because he was just a massive dick in those early issues.  He did mellow out a little bit as time went on though.  But the Logan and Scott issues go back from the very first time that they met each other.

Though I never liked how they've tried to downgrade Scott and Jean's love, I liked Scott and Emma very much as a couple as well.  The only thing I hated is that as time went on, Emma became pretty much defined as Scott's girlfriend.  She still had a mind of her own of course but it seemed like in every crossover, she would literally be standing behind Scott as he was giving orders.  Then Bendis started writing X-Men and his female characters all sound the same.  The educated and snarky Emma Frost was reduced to a tough-talking simpleton under his watch.

• Love 1
On 12/20/2017 at 7:53 AM, benteen said:

Then Bendis started writing X-Men and his female characters all sound the same.  The educated and snarky Emma Frost was reduced to a tough-talking simpleton under his watch.

Hell, Doctor Doom was reduced to a tough-talking simpleton under his watch. There are some things Bendis can write well (I'm enjoying his current run on Defenders), but he can't vary voices to save his life and has no idea how to make someone sound cultured and refined. Or actually highly intelligent and well-educated rather than just telling everyone that they're highly intelligent/well-educated.

• Love 1

I was listening to a Marvel Movie News podcast the other day, and they were talking about who to cast for the Invisible Woman.  I don't remember who all they were suggesting - Emily Blunt was one - but they were trying to find women who were commanding and intelligent because Sue is a scientist.  I kind of balked at that.  Why does Sue have to be a scientist?  This is part of the Ultimate Universe retcon, and something they've followed in the movies, but I see no reason whatsoever why Sue should be a scientist.  She isn't in the comics.  The MCU is full of scientists and geniuses as it is.  I can't think of a single aspect of the Ultimate FF that I like.

Marvel has done great by its heroes onscreen so far, but they don't always stay true to the comics.

Do you think they could restore Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver as Magneto's children now somehow?  For that matter, do you think we'll see Quicksilver return somehow in the Infinity movies?

1 hour ago, rmontro said:

Marvel has done great by its heroes onscreen so far, but they don't always stay true to the comics.

Do you think they could restore Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver as Magneto's children now somehow?  For that matter, do you think we'll see Quicksilver return somehow in the Infinity movies?

IF the deal goes through and they bring X-Men into the MCU then yes, I want Wanda/Pietro to be Magneto's kids. I've also been hoping since Ultron that they'd use Infinity Wars to retcon Quicksilver's death. I liked Marvel's Quicksilver and I'm not really a fan of the character, the only time I enjoyed him was during Peter David's most recent X-Factor run.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, rmontro said:

I was listening to a Marvel Movie News podcast the other day, and they were talking about who to cast for the Invisible Woman.  I don't remember who all they were suggesting - Emily Blunt was one - but they were trying to find women who were commanding and intelligent because Sue is a scientist.  I kind of balked at that.  Why does Sue have to be a scientist?  This is part of the Ultimate Universe retcon, and something they've followed in the movies, but I see no reason whatsoever why Sue should be a scientist.  She isn't in the comics.  The MCU is full of scientists and geniuses as it is.  I can't think of a single aspect of the Ultimate FF that I like.

It gives her a reason to be on Reed's spaceship to start with. Even Marvel's official bio only says she convinced Reed to take her along, nothing about why. I suppose that Lee & Kirby wanted one member to be a woman.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Joe said:

It gives her a reason to be on Reed's spaceship to start with. Even Marvel's official bio only says she convinced Reed to take her along, nothing about why. I suppose that Lee & Kirby wanted one member to be a woman.

Yeah, if she's not a scientist there is no valid reason for Sue to be on spaceship let alone bringing Johnny with her. She could easily be a medical doctor or a psychologist. Just because she's scientifically inclined doesn't mean she diminishes Reed's intellect. I could easily see Sue doing research on how people are impacted psychologically in space.

Furthermore, what is the likelihood that the smartest man on the earth ends up with this girlfriend who is not an intellectual in any way or not professionally accomplished. The fact that Sue had no profession in the comics is really just a product of the times. Jennifer Walters (She-Hulk) is likely only a lawyer because her character was created 20 years after Sue. Betty Ross originally had no profession. For the older characters, Marvel was fairly terrible for making the women secretaries and girlfriends and not much more.

2 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

For the older characters, Marvel was fairly terrible for making the women secretaries and girlfriends and not much more.

I love that the occupation(I could glean from old Avengers books) for Janet Van Dyne(Wasp) was "socialite" and "heiress"!

Carol Danvers might be the first one with a non-secretarial job. She was introduced in the Captain Marvel book(1968-1969) as head of security of a military base where Kree soldier Mar-Vell is in disguise as Dr. Walter Lawson:

9524ab_232ed3d0ae084edb98d753ef4c3af97e~

9524ab_7f68e6ad35e2408a845b4eaf2456eced~

9524ab_a23dba31b2764ad5b77e828538d4f986~

These were miniskirt times so she could be dressed worst but that outfit is still more Laura Petrie than security chief!

Edited by VCRTracking
7 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Don't get me started on the douchetastic PRICK of an arsehole Pietro from Evolution.

Their version of Wanda was worse.  Having said that, I liked their take on Rogue and they had the best Kitty by a country mile.

1 hour ago, VCRTracking said:

These were miniskirt times so she could be dressed worst but that outfit is still more Laura Petrie than security chief!

As long as she gets addressed as "Major Danvers" and there's a joke about "Captain Marvel" sounding like she was demoted.

Seriously, she was an Air Force officer from her first appearance.  Don't call her "Miss."

3 minutes ago, starri said:

Their version of Wanda was worse.  Having said that, I liked their take on Rogue and they had the best Kitty by a country mile.

Agree! And I would always fast forward whenever she and TOAD(?!!!) were in scenes together. Just...YUCK. Aside from their Rogue's unrequited feelings for Scott until the very end when Gambit showed up and there were loose ends because the show ended, I agree about that and I ADORED their take on Kitty.

The MCU has, at least, given their ladies some variety as to where they came from. Natasha was raised as a spy, Wanda was a young revolutionary turned science experiment, Pepper was Tony's assistant before he handed over the reins of Stark Industries to her so now she's a big-wig CEO (and has been since IM2.) Maria is full on SHIELD. Sharon went from SHIELD to the CIA. Hope was high up on the board at Pym.  Jane's an astrophysicist and Darcy was a political science major. It's when you get to space that they all kind of fall under the same description. Gamorra, Nebula, Sif and Valkyrie are all warriors. And Hela is... also a warrior/magic-user.

Now we might be getting into D&D descriptions. Agh! Multi-class!

I mean, if they are going to try the FF again there has to be a reason for Susan and Johnny to be on the ship. Although the very idea that Reed just takes his girlfriend and her annoying little brother along on the jaunt he and his bestie make into space to do research is fucking hilarious.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Dandesun said:

the very idea that Reed just takes his girlfriend and her annoying little brother along on the jaunt he and his bestie make into space to do research is fucking hilarious.

It sounds crazy today.  Maybe it speaks to Reed's hubris and overconfidence that he thought he could safely bring his girlfriend along.  It didn't seem quite as crazy in the early 60s because people still remembered the age of adventure.  People would go on adventures just for adventure's sake.  Amelia Earhart, Charles Lindbergh, John Glenn, Edmund Hillary, etc.  People still climb Everest but it's more like a guided tour now.  

I have no problem with Sue being a professional, I just don't like her being a scientist.  Not because it dims Reed's intelligence (although Reed has never come across onscreen as the genius he is in the comics).  To the contrary, Sue is always going to just come off as second best as a scientist when compared to Reed.  I don't like when characters encroach on each other's gimmicks.

As for Wanda and Pietro, my favorite is actually the Ultimate version, the one that's very "Game of Thrones-y" to put it politely.  But it's probably best not to put that version on the screen lol.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, rmontro said:

It sounds crazy today.  Maybe it speaks to Reed's hubris and overconfidence that he thought he could safely bring his girlfriend along.  It didn't seem quite as crazy in the early 60s because people still remembered the age of adventure.  People would go on adventures just for adventure's sake.  Amelia Earhart, Charles Lindbergh, John Glenn, Edmund Hillary, etc.  People still climb Everest but it's more like a guided tour now.  

I have no problem with Sue being a professional, I just don't like her being a scientist.  Not because it dims Reed's intelligence (although Reed has never come across onscreen as the genius he is in the comics).  To the contrary, Sue is always going to just come off as second best as a scientist when compared to Reed.  I don't like when characters encroach on each other's gimmicks.

I feel like I shouldn't have to explain this, but "scientist" is an extremely broad descriptor--anyone who "does science"--but science itself is a vast array of fields. I don't know/remember what jobs the Four had in the movies (I saw the first when it came out but not the reboot), but in the comics, Reed was at least originally a physicist/engineer (he had PhDs in those things). You could make Sue a chemist or biologist or geologist or and/or any subset of those things and she wouldn't step on Reed's toes, nor he on hers, role-wise. Heck, if one is a quantum physicist and the other a mechanical physicist they still have their own roles to play. I know that yeah, Reed is indeed often depicted as generally brilliant at all things science, but it makes more sense for him to have a specific area of expertise, and same for everyone else. But if one's really concerned she could always be a medical doctor (although if she's an MD who does research, she's still a scientist).

I'm less worried about the F4's jobs specifically and more in general about the idea that folding the F4 AND X-Men into the MCU will make the universe even more bloated and overcomplicated than it's already becoming. I am a lifelong comic reader and the Marvel comics universe itself is a struggle to keep up with, with all the various ways folks have gotten powers, who they're involved with, etc. etc. etc. and actually enjoyed they were separate universes in the films. I found it easier to follow and really appreciate/focus on key characters and the themes of the "world" they occupied. And if I struggle, as a longtime comic geek, to keep up with how bloated the Marvel comics 'verse is, your average moviegoer is really going to have trouble if the movieverse gets hard to follow along with. Perhaps I underestimate people however. But I think they're potentially opening a can of worms where quantity of available characters within a given story is going to trump quality of storytelling.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, DeathQuaker said:

I feel like I shouldn't have to explain this, but "scientist" is an extremely broad descriptor--anyone who "does science"--but science itself is a vast array of fields. I don't know/remember what jobs the Four had in the movies (I saw the first when it came out but not the reboot), but in the comics, Reed was at least originally a physicist/engineer (he had PhDs in those things). You could make Sue a chemist or biologist

Comic books have a history of making all scientists/smart people polymaths (I think that Donald Blake, Thor's Medical Doctor human identity, even built a super robot at one point) so this can get a bit lost when dealing with comic book characters.

The Ultimate Universe tried to be a bit more realistic and gave the various super geniuses actual areas of expertise. So Reed was a physicist and Sue was indeed a biologist and I think that all of the movies so far have followed this change to some degree (Jessica Alba's Sue was a geneticist).

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

Comic books have a history of making all scientists/smart people polymaths (I think that Donald Blake, Thor's Medical Doctor human identity, even built a super robot at one point) so this can get a bit lost when dealing with comic book characters.

Comic book scientists are like soap opera doctors. They are often given 'specialties' but they wind up doing everything anyway. It's often a real treat when a story gets written that actually requires them to know their alleged field of study.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

The Ultimate Universe tried to be a bit more realistic and gave the various super geniuses actual areas of expertise. So Reed was a physicist and Sue was indeed a biologist and I think that all of the movies so far have followed this change to some degree (Jessica Alba's Sue was a geneticist).

It does get a bit ridiculous with "scientist" being a catchall, but Reed Richards is one of the few characters that I've never questioned. In the comics he's legitimately the smartest person on the planet, and able to solve almost any problem.  I have to agree with Rmontro that any other scientist is always going to be second best when compared to Reed. (Which is a major part of Doom's issue with him). If I were running things I would make Sue a photographer that's there to document the experiment. This would give her something completely unrelated to Reed to excel in. Also, this would help introduce Alicia Masters. Sue and Alicia are friends due to being in similar social circles, and Sue introduces Ben to Alicia.   

• Love 2
15 hours ago, rmontro said:

As for Wanda and Pietro, my favorite is actually the Ultimate version, the one that's very "Game of Thrones-y" to put it politely.  But it's probably best not to put that version on the screen lol.

In the real world we are on the cusp of commercial space joy rides. Add to that aliens in the MCU have picked up humans in the past. If  someone had the resources the space family of the classic Fantastic Four origin story does have some possibilities  

10 hours ago, DeathQuaker said:

I'm less worried about the F4's jobs specifically and more in general about the idea that folding the F4 AND X-Men into the MCU will make the universe even more bloated and overcomplicated

I was really enjoying the X-Men until they became so damn popular.  Then they exploded the mutant world into too many books, and it became overwhelming, so I hear what you're saying.  I think they could keep the X-Men kind of off to the side in their own niche, but still bring some of them in for the big events.  They're unique enough to be concerned with their own matters.  Or have specific events where they meet, like an X-Men vs Avengers movie.  But the Fantastic Four should be firmly part of the MCU.

4 hours ago, Captain Carrot said:

It does get a bit ridiculous with "scientist" being a catchall, but Reed Richards is one of the few characters that I've never questioned. In the comics he's legitimately the smartest person on the planet, and able to solve almost any problem. 

Yeah, it's always been said Richards' real super power was his brain.

1 hour ago, rmontro said:

Yeah, it's always been said Richards' real super power was his brain.

My worry there would be, with the kind of tech people in the MCU have already invented (Tony, Bruce, T'Challa, the Doctor lady in Age of Ultron who made that human tissue 3d printer, the shit they have in Agents of SHIELD like the brain downloader and the LMD a person can build at home) if they want Reed to be the smartest man in the world how crazy out there do they have to make the tech he comes up with?

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

My worry there would be, with the kind of tech people in the MCU have already invented (Tony, Bruce, T'Challa, the Doctor lady in Age of Ultron who made that human tissue 3d printer, the shit they have in Agents of SHIELD like the brain downloader and the LMD a person can build at home) if they want Reed to be the smartest man in the world how crazy out there do they have to make the tech he comes up with?

Reed was a super genius before any of those others though.  They could show his brainpower in all sorts of ways, like discovering the negative zone, designing the Fantasticar, and being consulted by various other scientist types in the MCU.  

• Love 1
14 hours ago, xaxat said:

Stan Lee celebrates his 95th birthday today. 

Excelsior! 

Excelsior!  Stan always puts on a positive face, but I wonder if he has ever been secretly disappointed with the film versions of any of his creations?  Maybe he's just happy to see his franchises expand, no matter how they come out.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

25289219_602312556767134_148660578499235

I guess that makes Howard Stark his top acolyte.

So many bad parents in the MCU. Ego is such a bad parent that he transforms Yondu into a "good" parent when Yondu was a pretty crappy parent. Thanos is also a hilariously terrible parent.

Steve's parents weren't bad. They were just dead; the dead parents of a homunculus that would become Captain America. 

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Some of the annotations are hilarious like Justin Hammer--successful dancer; failed businessman.

I've always found Iron Man 2 to be an underrated movie.  I would watch it just for Hammer's dance routine.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I just found this constantly updated annotated infographic of all the villains in the MCU. Some of the annotations are hilarious like Justin Hammer--successful dancer; failed businessman.

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/DuECe

I like how Mariah and Cornell from Luke Cage are listed as Stringer Bell and Avon Barksdale. Although Mariah is probably smarter than Stringer (I have long believed that Stringer was a dumbass) and Cornell is nowhere near as smart as Avon.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Love 1
On 12/29/2017 at 4:42 AM, rmontro said:

Excelsior!  Stan always puts on a positive face, but I wonder if he has ever been secretly disappointed with the film versions of any of his creations?  Maybe he's just happy to see his franchises expand, no matter how they come out.

I actually think it is amazing how Lee and Marvel repaired their relationship after he had to sue them to get paid. He got a pittance of a settlement and never got all that he is due from Marvel, but is making a bundle in his appearances and other sources of income and has become an icon with his cameos in the Marvel movies. Whenever he appears on the screen, I swear the whole theater cheers and yells, "Stan Lee!"

• Love 2
12 hours ago, SimoneS said:

I actually think it is amazing how Lee and Marvel repaired their relationship after he had to sue them to get paid. He got a pittance of a settlement and never got all that he is due from Marvel, but is making a bundle in his appearances and other sources of income and has become an icon with his cameos in the Marvel movies. Whenever he appears on the screen, I swear the whole theater cheers and yells, "Stan Lee!"

Well, there have been a lot of comic book writers and artists who have been at odds with their publishing company.  A lot of sad stories there.  Stan made out better than Kirby did.  But Marvel did well to pay him - at one point, he practically was Marvel.  And certainly many of their fans grew up feeling a connection with him as the face of the company.  

My favorite cameo of his is in Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - mainly because he is with the Watchers.  I was so surprised because I didn't think they would have the license to the Watchers.  But I guess they just couldn't use THE Watcher, Uatu.  And they looked exactly like the Watchers from the comics, which I loved.  All those people who said moviegoers wouldn't accept a giant Galactus in humanoid form - arrgh, what a missed opportunity.  And his Ragnarok cameo is also good.

1 hour ago, Wynterwolf said:

Damn these bts shots from IW4!!!!  They're giving me thoughts and feelings and speculations and worries.... ARGH!!!

Same. I'm so apprehensive about A4. I'm not sure I like where I think it's heading.

Spoiler

Also not looking forward to what appears to be another movie dominated by Iron Man. RDJ seems to have been on set the most out of all the actors.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, scriggle said:

Same. I'm so apprehensive about A4. I'm not sure I like where I think it's heading.

Reveal hidden contents

Also not looking forward to what appears to be another movie dominated by Iron Man. RDJ seems to have been on set the most out of all the actors.

Yes, to all of that.  I am preparing myself to bail, if I have to.  There's still a huge body of work for me to enjoy, and I will probably follow T'Challa and Scott wherever those go, so it would be hard, but I think I can step away if IW3&4 go a direction I don't want to follow.  

Also, this happened:

Black Widow movie has a screen writer.

• Love 2

I just can't get excited about ScarJo as Black Widow so I'm a little torn about a Black Widow movie. I'll take all the kickass women I can get so I want to be supportive, but we're so spoiled for choice re: comic movies that it'd be nice to feel that way about female-led comic movies as well and I know that I won't get that psyched about a ScarJo-starring film. I do like her as an Avenger, just not enough to watch two hours of her. And while in the comics Black Widow is an awesome character with plenty of background to cover, I like that the movie version doesn't have much background. Characters like her and Fury work better IMO when they're wrapped in mystery.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, coppersin said:

I just can't get excited about ScarJo as Black Widow so I'm a little torn about a Black Widow movie. I'll take all the kickass women I can get so I want to be supportive, but we're so spoiled for choice re: comic movies that it'd be nice to feel that way about female-led comic movies as well and I know that I won't get that psyched about a ScarJo-starring film. I do like her as an Avenger, just not enough to watch two hours of her. And while in the comics Black Widow is an awesome character with plenty of background to cover, I like that the movie version doesn't have much background. Characters like her and Fury work better IMO when they're wrapped in mystery.

I think BW works best as a supporting character, I have no interest in a solo movie. Unless they pull a Ragnorok and throw in Hawkeye, Fury and even Maria Hill.

• Love 5

My left arm for a Natasha/Hill buddy cop dramedy of some sort!

Not interested in Hawkeye or the Winter Soldier, but I’d take Cap, Fury, Hill, and maybe Scarlet Witch as Nat’s supporting cast. Sam can come too, he’s fun.

I’m not as excited about a potential BW film as I would have been a few years ago—it’s just coming 5 years too late, and it feels like Marvel is begrudgingly all “wait women make money? Then I GUESS we can then feature someone other than RDJ or a white guy named Chris as a lead” in response to WW—but I’d definitely still go see it. Pretty much none of the Phase 3 characters interest me, so BW would be the most enticing movie.

• Love 9
8 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

I’m not as excited about a potential BW film as I would have been a few years ago—it’s just coming 5 years too late, and it feels like Marvel is begrudgingly all “wait women make money? Then I GUESS we can then feature someone other than RDJ or a white guy named Chris as a lead” in response to WW—but I’d definitely still go see it. Pretty much none of the Phase 3 characters interest me, so BW would be the most enticing movie.

Just to put on my Captain Obvious hat for a second, if the bitching that is still going on about Civil War is anything to go by, not everybody is utterly delighted with either Stark or Rogers. Thor and Starlord I guess are okay, but if a day goes by on my FB group where someone doesn't bring up "Who was right?" WRT Civil War, I'll be grateful. I guess they could give Renner more to do, but again, white male, so ew apparently.

I haven't clicked on the spoiler stuff out of sheer willpower. But I don't think Marvel was ever under the impression that female characters can't be successful money-wise, though I'm sure there are those who would argue that they have been. I will say that what strikes me as hilarious is that a BW movie is what people have been clamoring for for X amount of time, and now that we might get it, people are all, "Eh..." How The Last Jedi.

• Love 2