Type keyword(s) to search

Friends - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, christie said:

It just occurred to me that they could have gone across the hall and gotten some condoms fron Joey; you know that he would have had boxes of them.

Image-15-1-781x441.jpg

On 10/9/2023 at 11:43 AM, Laura Holt said:

Of course he also should have been fired those times he went ballistic on colleagues but that's another storyline.

And this is another example of why the gang was a bunch of idiot enablers: why did any of them think Ross using Phoebe’s street threats would be even remotely a good idea?!

On 10/9/2023 at 5:58 PM, tracyscott76 said:

Except for the guy who ate HIS SANDWICH. Totally justified.

I have to agree with you there, even though the guy was his boss. I mean, the bag had his name on it, and yet he took it anyway and tried to laugh it off as a mistake?! Rude.

Plus, that sandwich sounded delicious. So yeah, for once I’m on Ross’ side.

• Like 4

Just watched “TOW Rachel’s Crush”, where the subplot is Chandler breaking up with Kathy over first-imagined, then actual-, infidelity.  There’s a scene in between where he comes home drunk and tells the gang he went to “Beefsteak Chulie’s” — and Rachel says, “Beefsteak Charlie’s”? — and he is all “Yeah you and I have always been [gesturing wildly, meaning “simpatico”, at her].”

It’s a funny, tossed-off moment, but there was truth there.  I think it’s been pointed out (probably here!) that Jen and Matthew shared the fewest number of scenes that were “just them”.  But the ones they did share always worked.  Sometimes they were touching (on the stoop in the hall during her surprise birthday party, when she tells him the boat story & he commiserates as another child of divorce, and during Emily’s party, when he slumps down beside her, just to be there).  Sometimes they were hilarious  (all of the title plot in “TOW the Cheesecakes).  Sometimes both! (their private farewell at Rachel’s going-away).

The penny finally dropped for me tonight: as two children of privilege, their “simpatico” on certain subjects is exactly as it should be.

*smacks forehead, irritated that it took me so long to note the Glaringly Obvious

Edited by voiceover
  • Like 6
  • Love 1

I just saw this and found myself involuntarily whispering ‘what?’. Perry probably should have been the most beloved breakout star of Friends, the Bill Murray replacement of his generation. 

But he wasn’t and this is so very sad.

• Sad 10

Awful, awful news. 

Chandler was always my favorite friend. I can relate to not being the most confident person in the room and hiding behind humor. At his best, Matthew Perry brought a real sense of giddiness and joy to Chandler that made him so memorable.

Honestly? This was the moment where I fell in love with one Mrs. Chanandler Bong- I mean, Chandler Bing. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Love 12

Growing up in the 90s I had the biggest crush on him. I couldn’t even explain it. I just thought he was so adorable and I absolutely loved Chandler. Damn. This just seems so unfair with everything he went through. Life really is shit sometimes. 

• Sad 16

I hope it's not inappropriate to say that for all six of their sakes but especially for Matthew I'm glad they were able to do the Friends HBO reunion last year/year before last?

Edited by LexieLily
  • Like 21
1 hour ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Awful, awful news. 

Chandler was always my favorite friend. I can relate to not being the most confident person in the room and hiding behind humor. At his best, Matthew Perry brought a real sense of giddiness and joy to Chandler that made him so memorable.

Honestly? This was the moment where I fell in love with one Mrs. Chanandler Bong- I mean, Chandler Bing. 

Aw, that was such a good moment.

Chandler was the one character I really liked. He was honest and had some of the best zingers on the show.

• Like 9
1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

I hope it's not inappropriate to say that for all six of their sakes but especially for Matthew I'm glad they were able to do the Friends HBO reunion last year/year before last?

I had the same thought. At least they were all able to get together.

So, so sad. He had real talent — but also big demons.

I was in high school when Friends started and to say it had an impact on me would be an understatement. It’s hard to wrap my head around the fact that one of the six is gone now.

I hate this for his friends and family — and for the remaining five, who are probably going to be hounded for comments (and then heavily scrutinized if/when they do speak).

A few things keep popping into my mind. One of them is the picture of the six on the airplane for Las Vegas — mostly unknown, fresh-faced, happy, starting out on an adventure together.

• Sad 8
  • Love 1

Maggie Wheeler [Janice] posted her condolences:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cy9u6gSxSK6/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_rid=ede66bd3-aa08-40ba-a4a2-7c90ceae1121

I don't know how to embed Instagram posts, so just click the link.

I found Maggie's post via this Variety article. And so many more colleagues and friends have posts within.

And it seemed like all that knew the man loved him. This is just too sad.

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/matthew-perry-tributes-death-1235772014/

• Like 1
  • Sad 6
1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

Wow. Apparently People posted a picture just about two weeks ago with Matthew and his father.

https://people.com/matthew-perry-shares-photo-his-actor-dad-john-8358339

Just makes this even sadder. Hope his mother, father, and stepfather Keith Morrison are coping as best they can.

John Bennett Perry also appeared on Friends as Joshua's father in Season 4. He and Matthew didn't share any scenes there.

True, but they did play father and son in the Scrubs episode "My Unicorn". John Perry playing "Hey, Good Lookin'" on the guitar while a deadpan Matthew sits unimpressed is a highlight. 

• Like 10
  • LOL 1

One of my friends posted a Chandler meme on Facebook last night and I thought "oh hey, another funny Chandler meme like the millions I've seen before" and I liked it...then noticed that all the other reactions were sad.

8 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Ironically (or maybe not, since the channel often has Friends marathons!), Nickelodeon is now showing the episodes leading up to and including Chandler and Monica's wedding.

Damn, this all hits different now.

Coincidence. That just happens to be where they were in the rerun cycle…

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

If they haven’t already, I could see the 5 Friends releasing a joint statement-they way they did stuff like that…together.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing earlier.

Also not surprised none of them have commented yet. If we're upset, they must be completely wrecked. The six of them were always so tight knit.

So I hope they are allowed to grieve in the way they choose and the pressure to speak isn't placed upon them until they are ready to do so.

• Like 8
  • Love 2

To think, when this show began, that Chandler and Phoebe were only meant as "side" characters for Monica, Joey, Ross, and Rachel.

So glad TPTB recognized Chandler's sarcastic brilliance and made all six equal.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 4
20 hours ago, LexieLily said:

I assume in the next few days TBS and/or Nickelodeon will do a Chandler-centric episode marathon?

You called it.

‘Matthew Perry: Thanks For Being A Friend’ Tribute Special Set To Air On Nick At Nite To Commemorate ‘Friends’ Star

"Matthew Perry will be commemorated at Nick at Nite with a tribute special titled Matthew Perry: Thanks for Being a Friend set to air on Sunday, Oct 29 at 10 p.m. ET/PT.

The special comes following the death of the Friends star on Saturday and will feature never-before-seen interviews with Perry, behind-the-scenes moments from the set over the past 35 years, and stories about Perry’s best moments as Chandler Bing and his unbreakable bond with his co-stars.

After the half-hour special airs, Nick at Nite will air fan-favorite episodes of Friends featuring Perry in his iconic role as Chandler Bing. Episodes will continue to air all next week through Sunday, Nov. 5, beginning at 10 p.m. ET/PT."

Edited by TheOtherOne
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3

I hope there’s a Chandler / Monica one. Probably the most memorable moment in the whole series for me was when he was in bed and Monica popped out from under the covers and we KNEW!  Also when they told each other that they love each other.  

So many favorites come to mind — when Chandler couldn’t break up and said he was going to Yemen.  Pivot! Shut up Shut up Shut up!  The Quiz w Miss Chanandeler Bong and no one can name what’s Chandler’s job — a transponster?  And yes, I’m stuck in an ATM vestibule with Jill Goodacre.  

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Like 9

Watching the Nickelodeon special now, and even with Matthew's obvious struggles during the reunion special, some behind the scenes clips show the six were still tight and so happy to see each other.

Just reiterates to me that the other five are probably gutted right about now.

• Like 1
  • Sad 9
40 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

I hope there’s a Chandler / Monica one. Probably the most memorable moment in the whole series for me was when he was in bed and Monica popped out from under the covers and we KNEW!  Also when they told each other that they love each other.  

So many favorites come to mind — when Chandler couldn’t break up and said he was going to Yemen.  Pivot! Shut up Shut up Shut up!  The Quiz w Miss Chanandeler Bong and no one can name what’s Chandler’s job — a transponster?  And yes, I’m stuck in an ATM vestibule with Jill Goodacre.  

I don't have cable, but I was thinking of a few episodes with Janice. Like the one when he can't break up with her, or the one when he finds out that she's the one he's been talking to online. 

• Like 1

It’s already started, but I’d love it if you’d all post your fave eps/lines.

Lines: 

“TOW the Girl Who Hits Joey”: After he reassures Monica he’d have been thrilled if she’d’ve accepted his impromptu proposal, he offers an “…Or you would’ve seen a Chandler-shaped hole in that door.”

”TOW with Rachel’s Book”: He reveals to Monica his dreams for their future, including kids, a house, and a “…room over the garage where Joey could grow old.”

I also adored him in the proposal ep, and all those moments during the infertility arc where he was the one who reassured his wife.

• Applause 3
  • Love 7