Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: NCIS: Los Angeles

MostlyC
  • Start Topic

I try so hard to like this show, but...

Madam Secretary admits that Deputy Director Louis is the 427th person she has sent to L.A. to find a reason to disband our team...

Finally--the pivotal conversation:  Madam Sec--Well, your team solved the case, saved multiple hundreds of lives, uncovered a corrupt FBI agent, and brought the city back from panic. So, do you agree that  we should break up the team?

What nonsense!!!!!!!!!!!  Just go back to Washington and take credit for their successes.

• Love 2

I think that was the first time we have ever seen ops call in an event.  I wonder if Ochoa telling Madam Secretary that they need Hetty might open the door to her returning. Geez hope so! I also hope it means there will now be no more people trying to break up the team.

I too loved the shoot out at the end, the shell casings coming out in slow motion was new.  

On 2/28/2019 at 1:48 PM, anna0852 said:

Any guesses about a) what's in the box and b) what the interviewer got sworn to secrecy about?

As for a), I've been imagining things for years, and haven't come up with anything good.  I wonder if it's changed over time, i.e., what Shane Brennan imagined back in Season 4 is completely different than what will be revealed in Season 10.

As for b), I'm really hoping it will be the return of Hetty.  Maybe to officiate the wedding?  I'm SO looking forward to this episode it's kinda ridiculous, but it's not often that you actually get a pay-off to a relationship like Densi, especially in a procedural.  It's like the Powers that Be actually producing a piece of fan-fiction 🙂

• Love 4
1 hour ago, mtmjr said:

I'm SO looking forward to this episode it's kinda ridiculous, but it's not often that you actually get a pay-off to a relationship like Densi, especially in a procedural.  It's like the Powers that Be actually producing a piece of fan-fiction 

🙂

Right there with you!

• Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, mtmjr said:

As for a), I've been imagining things for years, and haven't come up with anything good.  I wonder if it's changed over time, i.e., what Shane Brennan imagined back in Season 4 is completely different than what will be revealed in Season 10.

As for b), I'm really hoping it will be the return of Hetty.  Maybe to officiate the wedding?  I'm SO looking forward to this episode it's kinda ridiculous, but it's not often that you actually get a pay-off to a relationship like Densi, especially in a procedural.  It's like the Powers that Be actually producing a piece of fan-fiction 🙂

Me too! I so hope it is Hetty back! 

ECO comments in that article that he looks like a muppet.  Why doesn't he fix his looks?  His hair looks like a mop on his head! 

Edited by LittlePeas3
On 2/25/2019 at 1:46 PM, anna0852 said:

The Wedding has apparently made the cover of TV Guide.

I'm glad it's FINALLY happening only because I'm so tired of them talking about it every episode (I don't care if any of the characters get married; it's a crime show - kind of).

On 2/28/2019 at 12:37 AM, MichelleNZ said:

We'll also get to find out what's in the infamous box Kensi gave Deeks in Season 4 in the same episode. 

Interesting that the writers can focus on an inanimate, cardboard box, but can't get simple things about a main character correct: Callen moves out of his house because it's been compromised but puts his real name on his apartment mailbox (seriously?) and then in Smokescreen he suddenly doesn't use tools - even though he used to take apart and reassemble appliances when he couldn't sleep (guess he used his teeth). This kind of sloppiness is getting ridiculous, especially when the show's in season 10.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, ymeagain said:

This kind of sloppiness is getting ridiculous, especially when the show's in season 10.

It's probably because the show is in season 10 that they're getting so sloppy. One would figure writers and showrunners know the characters by season 10 and that they also keep track of things they establish about character. But since I've often found that the longer a show runs, the sloppier they get, I don't think they do. I think they forget what they established in earlier seasons.

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 4:04 PM, LittlePeas3 said:

ECO comments in that article that he looks like a muppet.  Why doesn't he fix his looks?  His hair looks like a mop on his head! 

Maybe he can't. Often times, it's shows that dictate a certain look for a character. (For example, one of Leoni's conditions to sign on to Madam Secretary was that she would wear a wig so she could wear her hair the way she wants privately (and wouldn't have to go through an hour of styling in the morning) and I remember something about Stana Katic saying she got permission to cut her hair during the break while she was filming Castle).

(edited)
24 minutes ago, Maverick said:

It looked like Hetty getting out of the car on the preview.  I think the producers would have pushed the wedding until Linda Hunt returned if at all possible. 

Thanks I sure hope so ! I’ll get chance to watch this episode later but wondered if a Hetty would at least be there for the Wedding !

Edited by CountryCrazy

Is it me or did that episode feel like a filler, to fill the gap for the wedding episode? We've known so far in advance about the wedding, that the in between episodes are feeling a little "meh" to me. Does Sam really need a blossoming relationship with des Champs? I personally soil rather explore the Callen/Anna relationship. 

And yes, I really hope those little feet getting out of the Mini were Hetty's.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, LittlePeas3 said:

Is it me or did that episode feel like a filler, to fill the gap for the wedding episode? We've known so far in advance about the wedding, that the in between episodes are feeling a little "meh" to me.

The longer the show is on, the worse I think Gemmill is as the show runner. This episode was awful. Didn't anyone else think it really weird that DeChamps talked so casually about testifying in front of Callen--after he had to testify at Anna's hearing--and then to see no reaction from him? And when Densi was giving her little "pep" talk to DeChamps, I thought, "Why didn't we see a scene like that between Kensi and Anna? And WTH does Kensi know about what DeChamps is going through?" The Sallen scenes seemed forced and stale (Callen would NEVER do "jazz hands"). Why was Rogers even IN the episode? Callen could have done what he did & didn't Ochoa just say the team could operate without Hetty? Do the writers even WATCH (or read) the previous episodes? DeChamps was brought in as a "love" interest? Seriously? Maybe they should just rename the series Kensi and Deeks (I'm really tired of these two getting all the good scenes). I doubt I'll even watch the wedding I'm so tired of all the hype. The quality of the show has really gone downhill imo, and Gemmill has done a horrible job keeping it on track. It's not drama, it's not a crime show, I don't know WTH it is anymore.

On 3/3/2019 at 8:06 PM, CheshireCat said:

It's probably because the show is in season 10 that they're getting so sloppy. One would figure writers and showrunners know the characters by season 10 and that they also keep track of things they establish about character.

I don't find that to be true about the other shows I've watched that last 8-10 seasons or more. I find the writers to be very consistent in the original NCIS (16 seasons) when writing about the main characters. Same with the Bones series (12 seasons), original CSI series, Law & Order: SVU, H50, Blue Bloods, etc. A lot of these writers are just SLOPPY. (I think Harimoto, Broadhurst and Bartels are the most consistent in their writing.)

23 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

I thought it was sweet.

Yeah, I know that's what they were going for.  I guess opinion will be divided.

As for me, I didn't think the actual episode was that bad.  Sort of an interesting plot.  I did not watch this show in its early years, and I do not retain the details about certain past plots even if I did see them, so I don't mind the inconsistencies.

13 hours ago, 123BP said:

I find the writers to be very consistent in the original NCIS (16 seasons) when writing about the main characters

I guess great minds can differ, and I certainly accept anyone who wants to be done with any given show, and while I could take issue, at length, with a number of things raised in 123BP's post (because I have also watched most of those shows), this one is the one that I can't accept.  Tiva, anyone?  That was the most inconsistently written relationship I've ever seen on a procedural (with the possible exception of Olivia and Elliot on Law & Order: SVU, but at least one could fan-wank that relationship based upon the fact that they were two profoundly damaged characters).

The writers on the mothership never seemed to have a clue what Tony and Ziva wanted from each other or felt for each other.  The whiplash made my neck ache.  In contrast, Kensi and Deeks have actually followed the trajectory of a real relationship.  Obviously there have been mis-steps along the way, but the fact is we have gone from flirty antagonists, to co-operative partners, to super-flirty partners, to eff buddies, to boyfriend-girlfriend, to co-habiting intimate partners, to fiancees, and now to spouses.  That's consistency in my book, and it's why I'm so looking forward to the  ultimate payoff!

I also kinda like the whole Sam/duChamps thing, and Callen's teasing about it.  It's all about whether Sam is ready to put himself out there again socially, and I think it's nice to see him dipping a toe in the water, and Callen joshing him about it in an encouraging way (which I found totally consistent with their relationship).  DuChamps is a cool character, and I'd be happy to see more of her.

• Love 6

One of the best NCIS Los Angeles shows in quite some time. Deeks and his mom was for me realistic.

The case wasn't too far fetched for a change.

Sam and the du/Champs thing has intriguing possibilities. Loved the back and forth with Sam and Callen. That's true friendship.

Don't care at all for the little wienie from HQ or wherever he came from.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, CaptainCranky said:

One of the best NCIS Los Angeles shows in quite some time. Deeks and his mom 

Don't care at all for the little wienie from HQ or wherever he came from.

I have a soft spot for Peter Jacobson, who always plays a weenie. I also see him walking his dog all day the time in my neighborhood!  Don’t hate me. I also saw Ryan Reynolds on the subway two weeks ago!  

• Love 2
(edited)
On 3/5/2019 at 12:06 PM, mtmjr said:

Tiva, anyone?  That was the most inconsistently written relationship I've ever seen on a procedural (with the possible exception of Olivia and Elliot on Law & Order: SVU, but at least one could fan-wank that relationship based upon the fact that they were two profoundly damaged characters).

That's okay that opinions differ. Some folks prefer soap-operaish Hallmark relationships (Densi), and some folks prefer more subtle, complicated relationships (Tiva and Callanna). Frankly, I loved the relationship between Ziva and Tony (and Callen and Anna): it had tension, drama, and mystery. I find the Densi relationship childish, tedious, and boring. Despite ALL their manufactured troubles (they never had any real, serious disagreement until S9--and that was only one and lasted all of 2 episodes according to Military), there was never any doubt that they would be true to each other and always be together. That may be great in real life, but it makes for boring drama--except on Hallmark. To each his own. 😉

Edited by 123BP
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 3/5/2019 at 12:06 PM, mtmjr said:

Callen joshing him about it in an encouraging way (which I found totally consistent with their relationship)

I don't mind his encouragement; that's consistent. But "jazz hands"? It's doubtful Callen would even know the term, and I prefer characters to be true to who they are instead of being used for clever lines. The writer should write for the character, not to show off his cleverness.

Edited by 123BP
additional comments
  • Love 1
On 3/6/2019 at 5:20 PM, 123BP said:

Despite ALL their manufactured troubles (they never had any real, serious disagreement until S9--and that was only one and lasted all of 2 episodes according to Military), there was never any doubt that they would be true to each other and always be together. That may be great in real life, but it makes for boring drama--except on Hallmark. To each his own.

Exactly what I found boring about Densi (still find boring). Kensi finds out he killed his partner--not a problem. He gets a bar without consulting her--a huge financial investment right before they're married--and she's good with that. They're both so easy going in the relationship it's just bland. Besides, to me they've been "married" since S7 when they moved in together, so this is a ceremony for something that's been happening for 3 seasons. It's not a big deal for me. Hetty's return is more interesting than any ceremony imo.

• Love 1
On 3/6/2019 at 5:23 PM, 123BP said:

I don't mind his encouragement; that's consistent. But "jazz hands"? It's doubtful Callen would even know the term, and I prefer characters to be true to who they are instead of being used for clever lines.

Callen has been really inconsistent this season, and the writers have made some truly bonehead mistakes about his backstory and behavior. Weird

On 3/5/2019 at 7:46 PM, GussieK said:

I have a soft spot for Peter Jacobson, who always plays a weenie.

I kind of like him on the show, but I don't really understand his character. I thought he was a special prosecutor, but in this last episode he seemed to be in the position of Ochoa or Hetty. Confusing

• Love 2
(edited)

I started watching this show on December 3rd of last year and got caught up on January 15th of this year. I haven't watched this past week's episode yet, but I'm enjoying the season so far. Can't wait for the Densi wedding, though I do feel like TPTB are trying to make up for just how badly they royally fucked up with Tiva and never gave them a chance.

Edited by Laina
On 3/8/2019 at 10:51 PM, Laina said:

Can't wait for the Densi wedding, though I do feel like TPTB are trying to make up for just how badly they royally fucked up with Tiva and never gave them a chance.

TPTB on NCIS Los Angeles are totally unrelated to NCIS and have nothing to do with anything on the original. I don't think they made a mistake with Tiva; the mistake is Densi.

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 10:47 AM, ymeagain said:

Exactly what I found boring about Densi (still find boring). Kensi finds out he killed his partner--not a problem. He gets a bar without consulting her--a huge financial investment right before they're married--and she's good with that. They're both so easy going in the relationship it's just bland. Besides, to me they've been "married" since S7 when they moved in together, so this is a ceremony for something that's been happening for 3 seasons. It's not a big deal for me. Hetty's return is more interesting than any ceremony imo.

If he can forgive her for punching him in the mouth, she can be okay with him buying a bar.  And as for him killing his rapist corrupt partner who was going to kill a young girl, oh well. No loss there, good for him.

Can't wait for the wedding.  Looks like a fun episode. 

• Love 2

Something like Tiva versus Densi is honestly so, so subjective. The couples are completely different. I personally would much rather see a developed relationship and two people actually being together than endless will-they- won't-they that really never culminates on screen. 

And to that end, I thought the Densi wedding was a nice payoff. I really enjoyed all the actual wedding parts. The lead-up I found a bit boring, what with the fake kidnapping that was left unsolved to the degree that legion of bad guys showed up at the wedding and Deeks' having what seemed like a very plot-driven panic attack over getting married. I really wish adult Deeks had shown up for the whole episode, not just the second part. And what was with Eric this episode? They just will not let this character catch a break. 

The box...I'm glad they remembered it and attempted to pay it off, but it was very clearly a situation where no one who wrote this show in season five knew at the time what was in the box, and while the explanation that it was a key to a storage box that Kensi could switch the contents of made sense, it also left something to be desired. I loved the idea that Kensi gave Deeks her father's wedding ring, but we all know that's not what was in the storage box initially--so what was? How many different things has it been over the years? 

• Love 4

I really liked the wedding episode.  It was fun with just the right amount of crazy that makes this show so much more fun to watch then OG NCIS.   I loved the return of The Box and Kirkin and actually meeting Kensi’s friends.  Also HEDDY!!!!!  The one thing that would have made this episode great would have been if after the fight in the wedding sweet Kensi’s friends had admitted they had always suspected she wasn’t a museam curator. Everyone played their parts really well.  Loved Eric and his half good fighting.  Now he only has to learn the other half of the fight.

These are the kind of episodes I really like.  

For the record I prefer Deeks and Kensi because despite all the pitfalls  and hokeyness I knew the show was writing into the pairing. With Tony and Ziva the show wrote around it and took great delight in winks and nudges but never quite committed until both actors left the series.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 6

As a wedding plot goes, this wasn't too bad. I only have one other comment and an observation.

Nell - WTF!  Did she have a falling out with wardrobe and hairdressers?

Hetty - I noticed when she was sitting on the couch with Callen and Sam she had her left arm in a very awkward position. As if it could have been in a hidden sling. Just wondering?

Edited by preeya
  • Love 2

Lol ... was thinking the same thing about Nell ... what the heck did she do to the hairdresser/wardrobe people?!!?  If ‘they’ are trying to pick out what ‘Nell’ would want ... they are failing. 

I thought the same thing about Hetty’s arm.  Real or storyline driven?   Part of me is thinking storyline as she wouldn’t share what she has been up to.  

Did it look to anyone like Hetty is part of next week’s episode?

Early on, Mr Ecats and I decided this episode was a take on a classic British Farce.  Right down to the reveal in the (ahem) Morris Minor.  

Enjoyed it.  Will rewatch.  

Hope the Tuesday night NCISes were taking notes.  Doubt it.

• Love 4

Although I (and others) seem to go on with it, the only thing that would have made me enjoy the wedding more was if Deeks had a hair cut! Seriously, he can look shaggy and still be tidy, he looked like an unkept homeless man more than ever.  Surely a trim would have been a good idea?  He was wearing a fancy suit, for goodness sake! 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, LittlePeas3 said:

Although I (and others) seem to go on with it, the only thing that would have made me enjoy the wedding more was if Deeks had a hair cut! Seriously, he can look shaggy and still be tidy, he looked like an unkept homeless man more than ever.  Surely a trim would have been a good idea?  He was wearing a fancy suit, for goodness sake! 

This drove me crazy, just run a comb through it at least dude! Kensi is looking like that standing right next to you. Would it have killed you!

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Jillibean said:

How many different things has it been over the years? 

I would love it if the writers could keep some sort of thread of continuity and explore this idea and weave it in and out of episodes like a humorous little coda.

I did love this episode.  I'm really digging Deeks's mom now that she's settled in to being a competent bar manager and only normally kooky.  Back when they wrote her as consistently wacky, it got old, fast.  I think Pamela Reed is terrific, and very well cast in the role.

Kirkin coming back for one more shot at wooing Deeks had me completely cracking up, as did Sam's resident guard seal.  The hijinks throughout the wedding were classically and ridiculously all NCIS:LA silliness, and completely on point.  I loved Eric being badass, then freaking out that he was a successful badass, then getting his ass handed to him while he was boggling at himself, only to return to being the badass a little later.  That was fun.  However, when they first showed Nell in sleeked back tight up-do, I seriously had no idea who that was.  No idea.  Until she spoke, and even then I had cognitive dissonance.  The scene showing Kirkin handcuffed between Nell and Eric also cracked me up.  Kensi limping going up the aisle, her bruised knuckles, Sam and Callen's bruises etc. were a bit of realistic consequences we rarely see on this show.

The one sour note for me (I've given up on Deeks's hair) was how unrealistic it was for Kensi to have all those close girlfriends.  I know they've made reference to her friends over the years as an excuse for where Kensi is, or why she couldn't join them (or just Deeks) after work for drinks, but I always assumed that was just a cover story from Kensi to allow her to go home and have some closeted introvert recharge time.  I mean, even though she loves him, being partnered with Deeks has got to be exhausting.   But Kensi's band of close girlfriends is supposedly real, and just jarringly out of place.  Plus, Kensi's mom was pretty much a total bitch about the emotional pregnant one.  No wonder Kensi fled to the closed bar to get some flakey mother-in-law time rather than bitchy mom time.

Speaking of the bar.  Did they ever name it?

Edited by HurricaneVal
  • Love 6