Type keyword(s) to search

LuAnn de Lesseps: No Longer a Countess, Still Never a Princess

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

She is so shady. In rehab just long enough to skip the reunion, but out in time to do one of her paying gigs.

Interesting that the judge took 5 minutes to say there would be no sentancing in absentia and she needed to come in when she got out.  So the judge don’t care.

• Love 3

Yeah, I saw on her Instagram that she was "thanking everyone for their support", and then promoting her Aug. 4th (?) show.  Like I've been saying, her rehab stints aren't serious, they're for show and for sport.  

She's not-so-slowly creeping into Teresa Guidice territory for me.  I would hate for her presence to keep me from watching RHONY in the future.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I would hate for her presence to keep me from watching RHONY in the future.

I would hate it too; for then I wouldn’t be able to see all your witty and snarky comments. 

• Love 7
On 7/27/2018 at 12:09 PM, Normades said:

I can tell you that if she were doing it in Palm Beach County she would be assigned a PO, would have to check in monthly, and would quite possibly have a random check at least once.  Since she's transferring, maybe not, but even with a year this happens.

Life is not fair.  Watched Chappaquiddick on demand last nite.  That’s another story.  Money gets you out of many things.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, AnnA said:

Two weeks in rehab?   How did LuAnn get out of rehab so fast?   

She has a show here on Long Island this coming Saturday. 

Https://paramountny.com/shows/countess-luann

Because, and it pains me to say this... I’ve been touting “mental health above all things,” clearly she went into rehab to escape the reunion and to escape the possibility of the judge rejecting her plea deal. 

It backfired on her with the judge- he said she now has to actually appear to finish this mess. AND...

It backfired on her in bravo-land. Andy isn’t happy and neither are the fans. I had been a middle of the road “fan” of Lu.  She’s now kicked me to the curb, and that’s where I’m putting her. 

• Love 11
(edited)
14 minutes ago, Taralightner said:

Because, and it pains me to say this... I’ve been touting “mental health above all things,” clearly she went into rehab to escape the reunion and to escape the possibility of the judge rejecting her plea deal. 

It backfired on her with the judge- he said she now has to actually appear to finish this mess. AND...

It backfired on her in bravo-land. Andy isn’t happy and neither are the fans. I had been a middle of the road “fan” of Lu.  She’s now kicked me to the curb, and that’s where I’m putting her. 

She should be fired.   I hope Bravo doesn't pay her reunion bonus or whatever they call the final season paycheck. 

I'm sure Bravo and Andy are pissed at Carole for announcing her departure before the reunion airs.   That's a huge Bravo No No.  It changes the viewers' perception of the finale and the cast interaction at the reunion.   S10 is done filming and Carole belongs in the Ghosts of HWs Past thread.     I want to know why she did it.  She had to know Andy and Bravo would not be happy about it.

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 7
37 minutes ago, AnnA said:

She should be fired.   I hope Bravo doesn't pay her reunion bonus or whatever they call the final season paycheck. 

I'm sure Bravo and Andy are pissed at Carole for announcing her departure before the reunion airs.   That's a huge Bravo No No.  It changes the viewers' perception of the finale and the cast interaction at the reunion.   S10 is done filming and Carole belongs in the Ghosts of HWs Past thread.     I want to know why she did it.  She had to know Andy and Bravo would not be happy about it.

I figure, she should have waited till after the reunion aired. This announcement will surely get that reunion re-edited. It will be interesting to see what happens. This single event has made me excited for the reunion and for the next season even though this season still hasn’t ended. 

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, AnnA said:

Heather started leaking info to the press about quitting at the same exact time during her season. By the time it aired, it was all but confirmed and Heather had a big old DGaF look in her face for the whole reunion.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 4
(edited)
41 minutes ago, bagger said:

I figure, she should have waited till after the reunion aired. This announcement will surely get that reunion re-edited. It will be interesting to see what happens. This single event has made me excited for the reunion and for the next season even though this season still hasn’t ended

I'm so glad you mentioned re-editing the reunion.    I'm sure you're right.  They will.  

Now I'm wondering if LuAnn skipping the reunion and Carole's announcement BEFORE the reunion airs are related.   We know Carole hates LuAnn.  Maybe she was pissed that LuAnn got away with skipping the reunion. 

Edited by AnnA
1 hour ago, AnnA said:

Because she doesn't really need the check or the connections and they wouldn't fire Bethany, and Carroll is just as big of a narcissist as any other person who signs up for and stays on a reality show for more tgan two years. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

Heather started leaking info to the press about quitting at the same extract time during her season. By the time it aired, it was all but confirmed and Heather had a big old DGaF look in her face for the whole reunion.

Hmmm?   The plot thickens.   Carole and Heather are friends. 

We need a speculation thread.   

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, AnnA said:

I'm so glad you mentioned re-editing the reunion.    I'm sure you're right.  They will.  

Now I'm wondering if LuAnnskipping the reunion and Carole's announcement BEFORE the reunion airs are related.   We know Carole hates LuAnn.  Maybe she was pissed that LuAnn got away with skipping the reunion. 

If anything I would think Carole would love that Luann skipped the reunion. It would give her an opportunity to talk about Lu without interference unless Bethenny takes on the mantle to defend Luann.

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, bagger said:

This announcement will surely get that reunion re-edited. It will be interesting to see what happens. This single event has made me excited for the reunion and for the next season even though this season still hasn’t ended. 

I imagine the only thing they will do is put a note at the end that she is out of rehab. There is only so much time you can spend discussing someone who isn’t there and because she had entered it they probably will be circumspect in their answers, if they don’t have the footage there isn’t a lot they can do.

• Love 3
(edited)

We all know that Bravo never wants a HW to announce their departure before the reunion airs.     Maybe something happened at the reunion that upset Carole enough to break protocol and piss off Andy.    I'm still not convinced it doesn't have something to do with LuAnn going into rehab the day before the reunion taping.

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, AnnA said:

We all know that Bravo never wants a HW to announce their departure before the reunion airs.     Maybe something happened at the reunion that upset Carole enough to break protocol and piss off Andy.    I'm still not convinced it doesn't have something to do with LuAnn going into rehab the day before the reunion taping.

Who knows maybe with Lu being gone they thought her announcing might draw more attention to the reunion episodes to see if she got into a huge fight. There is only a tiny sampling of HWs who actually left on their own terms so it’s difficult to know how Bravo or Andy feels about it.

• Love 1
(edited)
30 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Who knows maybe with Lu being gone they thought her announcing might draw more attention to the reunion episodes to see if she got into a huge fight. There is only a tiny sampling of HWs who actually left on their own terms so it’s difficult to know how Bravo or Andy feels about it.

Maybe but they might also think that viewers might be less interested because it doesn't matter what Carole says or does now.   She's not a HW anymore so who cares if she's getting along with someone or not.

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 2
54 minutes ago, bagger said:

If anything I would think Carole would love that Luann skipped the reunion. It would give her an opportunity to talk about Lu without interference unless Bethenny takes on the mantle to defend Luann.

If that were to happen, my guess it would have more to do with Bethenny simply spoiling for a fight. See my prediction now: when Carole says anything, Bethenny will be at the ready to snark and snipe. So if Carole were to say anything about LuAnn, any defense of LuAnn that might happen wouldn't be out of the kindness of Bethenny's heart; it would just be another chance for Bethenny to snot about Carole.

• Love 10
20 minutes ago, Mozelle said:

If that were to happen, my guess it would have more to do with Bethenny simply spoiling for a fight. See my prediction now: when Carole says anything, Bethenny will be at the ready to snark and snipe. So if Carole were to say anything about LuAnn, any defense of LuAnn that might happen wouldn't be out of the kindness of Bethenny's heart; it would just be another chance for Bethenny to snot about Carole.

I speculated that B would take up the chatter on Lu’s side because wasn’t Bethenny the one authorized by Lu/Bravo to speak on Lu’s behalf. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I think they'll all follow Andy's lead.  If he's supportive of LuAnn, they will be too.  If the rehab announcement is an indicator, LuAnn asked Bethenny to speak for her so I would expect that to continue.   I'm interested in seeing what Slurinda the Spitter has to say about drinking.   Carole's departure announcement made her irrelevant.  No one cares about her opinion anymore.  She's not a HW. 

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, AnnA said:

I think Lu needs some kind of repercussion. I actually think demoting her would be worse for her.... 

Carole announced her leaving one week AFTER reunion was taped. Yes, the audience knows before watching, but no one on the couches knew before, or during, taping. 

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, AnnA said:

Now I'm wondering if LuAnn skipping the reunion and Carole's announcement BEFORE the reunion airs are related.   We know Carole hates LuAnn.  Maybe she was pissed that LuAnn got away with skipping the reunion. 

How will they re-edit?  What do they do?   I really think Luann doesn’t care about what Bravo does at this point.  She thinks she’s a big star now, as she packs the house at her shows.  Without the Housewives title, would she do as well, after all, she really can’t sing.  I read in today’s paper that no other housewife will be with her in her show.  She will have some Broadway and t.v. people with her in her act.  I thought she had asked Sonja to be in the show.  Maybe that fizzled out.  Who knows?

Edited by Gem 10
  • Love 1
(edited)
39 minutes ago, Taralightner said:

I think Lu needs some kind of repercussion. I actually think demoting her would be worse for her.... 

Carole announced her leaving one week AFTER reunion was taped. Yes, the audience knows before watching, but no one on the couches knew before, or during, taping. 

We don't know if anyone on the couches knew before or during taping.     Maybe Carole told Andy; they're supposed to be friends.    Maybe Carole told Tinsley, her S10 BFF.   Maybe she tells everyone during the reunion.    

23 minutes ago, Gem 10 said:

How will they re-edit?  What do they do?

Who knows?   It depends on what they want to show.     They usually tape 7-10 hours for a 2 or 3 hour reunion.  If Bravo is pissed at someone they could give them a less than favorable edit.    

ETA:   A one hour reunion show is maybe 40 minutes long.  I would say 42 which is average  but Bravo really packs on the commercials. 

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, Mozelle said:

Especially since Luann appointed Bethenny as her official spokesperson, after her latest trip to Keeping Up Appearances Workshop & Bravo Reunion Avoidance Camp rehab. 

7 hours ago, AnnA said:

We need a speculation thread.   

Haha!  These are all speculation threads.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 11
6 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Haha!  These are all speculation threads.

True but having one for the reunion and beyond would minimize the risk of going OT.

• Love 1
On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 7:51 PM, HunterHunted said:

I find this interesting. Now we can all speculate that Lu returned to rehab to skip the reunion (probably correctly), but the Judge wouldn't know that. For all he knows, she has seriously relapsed and rehab is truly where she needs to be. From that standpoint, I can't believe he would jeopardize her sobriety to make her come in for a hearing. It is also for this reason that I don't think he will accept her plea deal. I think he is going to mete out a harsher punishment.

As to Bravo, the really should make her come in and answer questions for an hour, ala Kim. But, table for 1, I still love Lu.

• Love 3

@tvfanatic13 Lu went to rehab on July 16th. If she's there for 30 days, she'd be out in time to attend court on August 29th. However, Lu is already out of rehab because she only stayed for 2 weeks.

Yeah, she really needs an hour long one-on-one interview about ALL of her stuff this season: the divorce, the arrest, rehab twice, and the lawsuit.

• Love 6
23 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

@tvfanatic13 Lu went to rehab on July 16th. If she's there for 30 days, she'd be out in time to attend court on August 29th. However, Lu is already out of rehab because she only stayed for 2 weeks.

Yeah, she really needs an hour long one-on-one interview about ALL of her stuff this season: the divorce, the arrest, rehab twice, and the lawsuit.

That's it?   Do you think she should be penalized for skipping the  reunion?   She went back to rehab the day before the taping.   I have a hard time believing she couldn't wait one more day.   God forbid Bethenny did all the things LuAnn has done.   There would be calls for her to be fired, beheaded, face a firing squad, impeached and deported. 

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, AnnA said:

That's it?   Do you think she should be penalized for skipping the reunion? She went back to rehab the day before the taping.   I have a hard time believing she couldn't wait one more day.   God forbid Bethenny did all the things LuAnn has done.   There would be calls for her to be fired, beheaded, face a firing squad, impeached and deported. 

I personally want an hour long special filmed in the clubhouse and not her lawn like last time. I'd dock her reunion pay and potentially decrease her pay for next season by at least 5% because there were supposed sightings of her in the New York area 7 to 10 days after she went into rehab. This suggests that it wasn't even 2 weeks.

I would love to see her doctor's medical necessity documentation too because Bravo could have put her in a hotel with a sober coach for a day or two.

• Love 14
2 hours ago, AnnA said:

That's it?   Do you think she should be penalized for skipping the  reunion?   She went back to rehab the day before the taping.   I have a hard time believing she couldn't wait one more day.   God forbid Bethenny did all the things LuAnn has done.   There would be calls for her to be fired, beheaded, face a firing squad, impeached and deported. 

Yes. I believe that if she doesn’t do it (I agree Hunted, at the Clubhouse), she should be fired. 

My point was that if the rehab were REAL, the Judge was jeopardizing her recovery. But I don’t believe for a second that it was real, even though I still love her. 

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, tvfanatic13 said:

My point was that if the rehab were REAL, the Judge was jeopardizing her recovery. But I don’t believe for a second that it was real, even though I still love her. 

The court date was set for more than a month after her rehab, 30 days isn’t uncommon and Lu’s lawyer would know her dates of her rehab and that she was available by then.

• Love 8

Real question here. I’m not an expert in rehab or addiction, but is the only reason to do a second stint of rehab a relapse? Do people ever go back just for a refresher or because they’re starting to feel tempted? Is it unusual or always a sign of relapse to go back? I personally think Luanne went back to hide out from the press, but it feels weird to criticize someone for going to rehab (I’m speaking just about myself. No one else should feel weird). Multiple stints of rehab over a period of a couple of years doesn’t strike me as a terrible way to deal with substance issues whether you’re having relapses or not.

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, FozzyBear said:

Real question here. I’m not an expert in rehab or addiction, but is the only reason to do a second stint of rehab a relapse? Do people ever go back just for a refresher or because they’re starting to feel tempted? Is it unusual or always a sign of relapse to go back? I personally think Luanne went back to hide out from the press, but it feels weird to criticize someone for going to rehab (I’m speaking just about myself. No one else should feel weird). Multiple stints of rehab over a period of a couple of years doesn’t strike me as a terrible way to deal with substance issues whether you’re having relapses or not.

People relapse all the time.  How they deal with it is up to them individually.  Ideally you would complete your inpatient or outpatient and then continue in aftercare, meetings, etc.  

• Love 7
20 minutes ago, geauxaway said:

People relapse all the time.  How they deal with it is up to them individually.  Ideally you would complete your inpatient or outpatient and then continue in aftercare, meetings, etc.  

That’s true, *and* if a person has the time and money, they can check back in for a refresher. However, the professionals I’ve known in that area of mental health would like to see people recovering in the outside world, as @geauxaway said. To remain dry/ clean in a monitored facility is one thing; to do it in the world-out-there is quite another. 

I am betting Lu used it as a hideout when the lawsuit happened close to the reunion taping.  

• Love 7

I'm searching for input on Luann's legal battle with her adult children.  I hope this is the right place. I didn't see it anywhere. 

Does anyone know WHY she would have agreed to turn over a LARGE bulk of the marital estate (her SHARE) to her adult children?  Rarely, is that done and I don't understand why her attorney would have advised her to do that.  Children are not really entitled to marital assets, so this is confusing to me.  

https://www.etonline.com/luann-de-lesseps-sued-by-her-ex-husband-and-their-kids-106059

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm searching for input on Luann's legal battle with her adult children.  I hope this is the right place. I didn't see it anywhere. 

Does anyone know WHY she would have agreed to turn over a LARGE bulk of the marital estate (her SHARE) to her adult children?  Rarely, is that done and I don't understand why her attorney would have advised her to do that.  Children are not really entitled to marital assets, so this is confusing to me.  

https://www.etonline.com/luann-de-lesseps-sued-by-her-ex-husband-and-their-kids-106059

She didn't.  The half of the marital estate the children were to get was her husband's.  He gave it to them in the divorce settlement.

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 5
11 minutes ago, AnnA said:

She didn't.  The half of the marital estate the children were to get was her husband's.  He gave it to them in the divorce settlement.

Interesting.  The article link and others that I have read refers to both an Agreement and a court order, so, I wonder if this provision was a court order, why they haven't asked that she be held in contempt of court, rather than breaching the contract.  I wonder if she has a legal defense on this. 

18 hours ago, tvfanatic13 said:

But I don’t believe for a second that it was real, even though I still love her. 

I'm of the (uneducated) opinion that 30-day "rehab" programs are really just detox camps.  To me, it's counterintuitive to think that a lifetime or long-term addiction can be seriously addressed in 30 days. (Or in Luann's case, about 40 days total in two trips).

She is merely following the celebrity playbook.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Interesting.  The article link and others that I have read refers to both an Agreement and a court order, so, I wonder if this provision was a court order, why they haven't asked that she be held in contempt of court, rather than breaching the contract.  I wonder if she has a legal defense on this. 

The Settlement Agreement they signed would have been included in and entered as part of the final Judgment of Dissolution (which is the Court Order).  It's typically done.

22 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I personally want an hour long special filmed in the clubhouse and not her lawn like last time. I'd dock her reunion pay and potentially decrease her pay for next season by at least 5% because there were supposed sightings of her in the New York area 7 to 10 days after she went into rehab. This suggests that it wasn't even 2 weeks.

I would love to see her doctor's medical necessity documentation too because Bravo could have put her in a hotel with a sober coach for a day or two.

I doubt she has a doctor's note, and it certainly wouldn't be required for rehab entrance.  Like others, I'm certainly suspicious of the timing of her entering rehab, but if she really did need it, it shouldn't be put off for the reunion.  Once you make the decision, you should act on it.

• Love 3
Just now, Mrs peel said:

The Settlement Agreement they signed would have been included in and entered as part of the final Judgment of Dissolution (which is the Court Order).  It's typically done.

It's done sometimes and these articles refer to both, so, if the Separation Agreement was incorporated into the divorce judgment, then, I wonder why ex and kids have not filed and received an Order to Show Cause for contempt, rather than breaching a contract.  Hmm....maybe, they are just being kind. 

13 minutes ago, Mrs peel said:

I doubt she has a doctor's note, and it certainly wouldn't be required for rehab entrance.  Like others, I'm certainly suspicious of the timing of her entering rehab, but if she really did need it, it shouldn't be put off for the reunion.  Once you make the decision, you should act on it.

Didn't say a doctor's note. I said doctor's medical necessity documentation and medical/clinical necessity documentation is absolutely required for admittance into rehab as long as the rehab accepts insurance. Most insurance companies follow the CMS conditions of participation, which do require a doctor/clinician to document that the treatment is necessary. You are correct that rehabs would typically have an LCDC instead of a doctor assess clinical necessity. However, it still means there is someone there with some training who says that Luann needed to be in this inpatient rehab facility. But I have my doubts about whether Luann's Spahab accepts insurance.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, FozzyBear said:

I have rarely seen people who can afford a real rehab stay - much less twice. If someone's insurance happens to cover inpatient care for substance abuse issues, it's usually partial coverage for one stay only. Unfortunately, that determines most people's decision-making regarding treatment. Which is one reason why I find Lu's storyline difficult to watch. She got busted acting super messy & entitled and I understand the inclination to want to keep herself out of jail, but then swanning around acting like she did some kind of real mental health work for 30 days followed by a cabaret tour in bars? And picking that tour right back up immediately after the reunion? I'm not buying that she believes she has any kind of problem with alcohol.

22 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

26 minutes ago, Mrs peel said:

I think after Bethenny canceled the Mexico trip (or whatever trip was during the season Kevin was made to hold the bloody pillow) it came out that HWs have to supply a doctor's note for any kind of major absence from filming.

• Love 6
On 8/1/2018 at 2:40 PM, chick binewski said:

I have rarely seen people who can afford a real rehab stay - much less twice. If someone's insurance happens to cover inpatient care for substance abuse issues, it's usually partial coverage for one stay only. Unfortunately, that determines most people's decision-making regarding treatment. Which is one reason why I find Lu's storyline difficult to watch. She got busted acting super messy & entitled and I understand the inclination to want to keep herself out of jail, but then swanning around acting like she did some kind of real mental health work for 30 days followed by a cabaret tour in bars? And picking that tour right back up immediately after the reunion? I'm not buying that she believes she has any kind of problem with alcohol.

The bed day cost is astronomical. I can't imagine she's using insurance to pay for it because in months, she blew 45 inpatient days. That's a nice chunk of change even for a so-so rehab and a sizeable chunk of a substance treatment benefit. Passages Malibu is $80K for 30 days.

I think after Bethenny canceled the Mexico trip (or whatever trip was during the season Kevin was made to hold the bloody pillow) it came out that HWs have to supply a doctor's note for any kind of major absence from filming.

Wig cancelled on the Africa trip by saying her doctor wouldn't allow her to fly. Aviva bailed on the Montana trip by showing up with an asthma diagnosis and a chest x-ray. They've been implying for quite some time that the women need a doctor to excuse them from filming. I suspect that Wig was the one who necessitated that rule. She did go out and film, but only when she felt like it. Kathryn from Southern Charm was on bed rest for almost an entire season and I think she filmed one episode that season outside the house while pregnant.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I'm of the (uneducated) opinion that 30-day "rehab" programs are really just detox camps.  To me, it's counterintuitive to think that a lifetime or long-term addiction can be seriously addressed in 30 days. (Or in Luann's case, about 40 days total in two trips).

I don't really understand what you're saying here.  I've known people who have done 30 day rehabs, addressed issues and have continued to stay clean.  If you're saying people who go in for 30 days and do no work after, then I would agree that is not probably going to have good results, but rehabs are wonderful for people who need them and are willing to do the work.  It's a lifelong job to address those issues, tho.  Maybe I'm misinterpreting your comment and if so, I apologize.

On the question I've seen about going in for 14 days.  I've certainly heard of people who go back in for as little as 7 days to help them stay strong.  One person I know does it almost annually.  People in the real world who have to work real jobs cannot always get 30 days off, so they have to try to do what they can to get well and survive.  Some of these comments about rehab feel negative and I would really hope if someone needs help they would seek it.  There are some wonderful facilities that do great things. 

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, Normades said:

I don't really understand what you're saying here.  I've known people who have done 30 day rehabs, addressed issues and have continued to stay clean.  If you're saying people who go in for 30 days and do no work after, then I would agree that is not probably going to have good results, but rehabs are wonderful for people who need them and are willing to do the work.  It's a lifelong job to address those issues, tho.  Maybe I'm misinterpreting your comment and if so, I apologize.

On the question I've seen about going in for 14 days.  I've certainly heard of people who go back in for as little as 7 days to help them stay strong.  One person I know does it almost annually.  People in the real world who have to work real jobs cannot always get 30 days off, so they have to try to do what they can to get well and survive.  Some of these comments about rehab feel negative and I would really hope if someone needs help they would seek it.  There are some wonderful facilities that do great things. 

I certainly agree that getting an employer to hold a job for any length of time is tricky.  There must be folks who managed after a 30-day stint.  The statistics and opinions are as varied as there are people to ask.  I personally believe that 30-day programs exist because for most folks, funds would be exhausted beyond that point.  I'm glad that there are people who can make it work within those parameters.

• Love 2

If you work for a company with more than 100 employees and you have been employed with that company for a year, your job is protected and you get short term disability at something like 66% of your pay for up to 12 weeks. 

• Love 6

The type/length of rehab really depends on what the person is struggling with, how long its been going on, underlying issues, etc.  We've had some instances of substance abuse in our immediate family and I watch every episode of Intervention. It appears that 30-90 days is the initial recommended period of time for the first stint in rehab. If the person is seriously physically addicted to the substance, then yes, they have to go through a medical detox first to get all of the drugs, alcohol, etc., completely out of the person's system and safely manage withdrawal symptoms. (Alcohol is actually the most deadly substance to dry to detox from cold turkey and unassisted if you've been a very heavy drinker for a over a long period of time.)

After that, then it depends. There usually is an assessment to make sure the patient doesn't have some type of underlying physical or mental health condition that needs therapeutic treatment (e.g. depression) then they start on counseling to get to the root of the problem. That usually entails one-on-one counseling, group therapy, 12-step meetings, etc. 

Of course, the patient's finances play a huge part. If you are rich and are paying out of pocket, then your rehab might well include services such as spa treatments, horseback riding on the beach, etc. I think that most insurance plans will pay for a limited number of inpatient and outpatient days/sessions. If you are uninsured, it's a different story. A family member who was working but didn't have health insurance had to detox at the local "charity hospital" for five days for alcoholism. Then, he went to a sober living facility and it was recommended that he stay there for nine months.  The hospital helped him get approved for Medicaid, which retroactively paid the hospital bill.  At the sober living house, residents have to attend x-number of AA/NA meetings a week, plus they have to get a job (as soon as they are able) to pay a modest rent and they have to help with chores around the house. It's very structured. He was able to leave after five months because he was doing so well and went to a smaller sober living house and is still there and is now an AA sponsor.

And people can go in and out of rehab, etc., as often as they need to if they feel their sobriety is at risk. It's better to be proactive than to go through a devastating relapse.

That is probably way more information than necessary.

In Luann's case, I am guessing that the first time she went to rehab was mainly was to appease the court and to dry out. She probably really needed supervised sobriety and support to get her head together and cut back on her short-term excessive drinking. Since we really don't know if/how/when she relapsed, why she headed back for a second time and short stay is a mystery. I have been watching her now for six past and recent seasons and other than the embarrassment of the short marriage/divorce with Tom, I don't pick up on any mental health illnesses or devastating life circumstances to trigger excessive drinking. (Of course, that was before all of this lawsuit with her kids bubbled up, so it's anybody's guess.) The timing of the lawsuit becoming public, the quickie return to rehab, the reunion and relaunch of her cabaret career all seem to be above and beyond mere coincidence, though.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, FozzyBear said:

In real life (not the lives of the wealthy and famous), most people need insurance to pay for rehab. In order to qualify for rehab, there has to be a real, medical reason (like if they don’t go, they could die type of reason) to be admitted to rehab, so no insurance (especially these days) will pay for a “tune up.”  Also, it’s hard to find “a bed” in most legit rehabs these days. The demand far outweighs the available spots. Afterwards, most people go directly into therapy, group therapy and meetings directly after rehab. Also most people stay in rehab for close to 30 days. (Lu’s first stay was only just under 3 weeks, correct?)

In the world of “I can drop $50- $100k for two to three weeks of massages, yoga, and maybe some therapy, as long as the facility has a room, they’ll take your money. I say a “room” vs. a “bed” because there’s no way that these people who pay that much, are sharing a room, unlike rehabs that are accepting insurance. 

Recently, a whole host of “rehabs” have popped up that use all kinds of experimental methods and advertise themselves as traditional rehab facilities. There is almost no oversight of facilities like this... no licensing specific for the industry right now. Since the new HUGE demand for addiction treatment has just recently popped up with the new mainstream need, people are cashing in while they can without focusing on the people they treat... hey, the money’s great right now. 

• Love 2