Type keyword(s) to search

19 Things I Hate About You: How the Duggars Infuriate

• Start Topic

I remember reading someplace that JD serves the papers to people who are foreclosed or evicted from their homes. He gets to do the nasty grunt work the other officers probably do not want to do

That is what a constable does, by definition.  Serves civil process paperwork.  They also serve subpoenas and divorce papers.  In Texas, as a constable (an elected position), you are required to become a licensed peace officer after the election if you aren't one already. Not sure how it works in Arkansas.  Frightening thought, though, isn't it?  A Duggar, one small step away from real arrest power.

So can JD do that by himself or does he have to bring along a sibling? I thought the unmarried Duggar "kids" supposedly could never go anywhere without an accountability partner, even the adults, so how does JD do his constable duties and run his other businesses, like towing? Is Joseph or one of his other siblings always with him while he is working?

• Love 2

Ssshhhhhh! Please pleeeease don't say anything more about the "missing muscle" thing being BS! My husband is under the impression that I'm missing a muscle and am therefore unable to operate the vacuum cleaner.

These people need a basic anatomy lesson. I'm talking "the head bone is connected to the neck bone" for a start. How does a muscle go missing? Does it dissolve? Fall off? Also with Josie's floating intestines or what ever Michelle called it - made no sense.

Plus Jim Bob's "if you have chicken pox you can't get shingles." 

Now they can track fertility and ovulation cycles like the FBI, so when they want to learn something, they can.

• Love 8
I don't know...it's so confusing to me, frankly, to read some of the comments on Duggar stories from sites frequented more by fans who still manage to think this family is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Do they not SEE how wrong this sort of upbringing has to be for those kids? Just because they are always smiling, they must be happy?

I wonder this all the time.  Do their fans not see all the work the girls do? The lack of education the kids receive? The fact that Michelle does nothing all day long. They defend them to the Moon that they are the greatest family in the world, their raising their kids right and of course my favorite we should all raise our kids that way. All right, so you want to spend your entire childhood taking care of children from six months and up? You want to spend every day of your childhood cooking, cleaning and taking care of children? Doing the laundry and everything else. Because it is everything else, JimBob and Michelle certainly aren't going to do? How about having to get up every night to take care of babies your raising or waking up to you not yet potty trained brother or sister had an accident, in your bed. Do you really want to be deprived an education? To be told as women your only role in life is to marry and have baby after baby no matter whether you can afford the child, handle that many children, or if even it effects your health or the health of your child? Do you want to not be allowed to leave the house alone, not allowed to read or watch tv, not allowed to go to school, not allowed to go to college and become a doctor, a lawyer, etc. Do you want to be one of the younger kids who have no idea who their mom and dad are because they have been raised by their older sister, until one day that sister announces she's getting married and moving out. Exactly what about this lifestyle is so great? 

• Love 9

I think the people who are praising this lifestyle are looking at it from the point of view of the parents, not the kids.   Look, the kids are so well-behaved.   No constant nagging to get your kids to do their chores.   They done cheerfully with a smile.   Doesn't seem to be any referreeing of umpteen million fights due to sibling rivalry.   You never hear the "Did too, did not" argument or get complaints that "he's looking at me, making him stop looking at me."    All is calm and serene.   

Who WOULDN'T want that?   Especially after the dog threw up on the rug and toddler tried to eat it and while you were cleaning it up, you heard the other one yelling "I'm telling" and you know the evening fight over homework is still ahead?

These folks don't look at how this was achieved, they just want it.

• Love 3

I wonder this all the time. Do their fans not see all the work the girls do? The lack of education the kids receive? The fact that Michelle does nothing all day long. They defend them to the Moon that they are the greatest family in the world, their raising their kids right and of course my favorite we should all raise our kids that way. All right, so you want to spend your entire childhood taking care of children from six months and up? You want to spend every day of your childhood cooking, cleaning and taking care of children? Doing the laundry and everything else. Because it is everything else, JimBob and Michelle certainly aren't going to do? How about having to get up every night to take care of babies your raising or waking up to you not yet potty trained brother or sister had an accident, in your bed. Do you really want to be deprived an education? To be told as women your only role in life is to marry and have baby after baby no matter whether you can afford the child, handle that many children, or if even it effects your health or the health of your child? Do you want to not be allowed to leave the house alone, not allowed to read or watch tv, not allowed to go to school, not allowed to go to college and become a doctor, a lawyer, etc. Do you want to be one of the younger kids who have no idea who their mom and dad are because they have been raised by their older sister, until one day that sister announces she's getting married and moving out. Exactly what about this lifestyle is so great?

Because they're a christian family to their fans. The Duggars can do no wrong. They're raising their kids right and if more parents raised their kids like the Duggars, there would be less stds, teen pregnancy, less divorces, less children wanted, no drugs, and women and men would keep their virginity for their husbands, less abortions

Edited by Darknight

I think the people who are praising this lifestyle are looking at it from the point of view of the parents, not the kids. Look, the kids are so well-behaved. No constant nagging to get your kids to do their chores. They done cheerfully with a smile. Doesn't seem to be any referreeing of umpteen million fights due to sibling rivalry. You never hear the "Did too, did not" argument or get complaints that "he's looking at me, making him stop looking at me." All is calm and serene.

Who WOULDN'T want that? Especially after the dog threw up on the rug and toddler tried to eat it and while you were cleaning it up, you heard the other one yelling "I'm telling" and you know the evening fight over homework is still ahead?

I completely agree with this.

That is how my mom looks at it. Whenever she watches an episode of 19KAC, she always says, "They're raising their children right! So Godly and kind to each other!"

I have to bite my tongue.

I think the people who are praising this lifestyle are looking at it from the point of view of the parents, not the kids. Look, the kids are so well-behaved. No constant nagging to get your kids to do their chores. They done cheerfully with a smile. Doesn't seem to be any referreeing of umpteen million fights due to sibling rivalry. You never hear the "Did too, did not" argument or get complaints that "he's looking at me, making him stop looking at me." All is calm and serene.

I hadn't thought of this. I had always thought that people looked at them and thought they were well behaved and clean-cut. 

And, of course, when I look at them, I see the older children behaving fine, but the younger ones completely out of control. I also think that the older children are reasonably well groomed, but the younger ones are not. This is a real pet-peeve of mine. There is a difference between a child who has been outside playing in the mud, and one that is never bathed, sleeps in their clothes, and never combs their hair.

Aside from my distaste for their religious and political views, I find the family en-masse, to be revolting. When is an occasion important enough for this family to dress nicely? The go on GMA, speaking engagements, political appearances, book signings, etc. looking like they just pulled on the first 10-15 items of clothing they found in the hamper (it is possible to dress modestly without wearing 5 layers of clothing).

ETA: Here is a link to a photo of the extended Romeny family:

http://crayfisher.wordpress.com/2012/07/02/dont-be-a-h8er/

This is a conservative Christian family, dressed modestly, and appropriately without a dozen layers of clothing. The children are clean and their hair is combed. The Duggars are just gross.

Edited by cmr2014
  • Love 4

Ewww... I just had a thought. If they don't use sheets, if one of the younger kids has an accident that will soak into the mattress! I always had a mattress protector under the sheets, even though my kids wore pull ups to bed.

Those mattresses have to stink!

• Love 3

I watched Jeremy and Audrey's wedding and thought [1] she was a complete doll [2] the two of them seemed over-the-moon in love and [3] their "country farmhouse" wedding was perfectly beautiful. It looked like they had a gorgeous day and a ton of fun. With the people they knew and loved the most - not, like the Duggars, sending invitations to absolutely everyone they ever met. I would love to have seen Audrey's registry. Wouldn't be surprised if she never bothered to do one.

It sounded like they had a short engagement too & their wedding turned out great & just what they wanted. (Without all the Duggar-type drama.)

IIRC they also had to prepare to move to California to live after the wedding. That's a lot for a young couple just starting out (finding jobs & a place to live out of state) but they seemed excited about it & I'm sure they'll do fine. Can you imagine Jessa & Ben doing this?

• Love 1

Ewww... I just had a thought. If they don't use sheets, if one of the younger kids has an accident that will soak into the mattress! I always had a mattress protector under the sheets, even though my kids wore pull ups to bed.

Those mattresses have to stink!

Totally agree with you. In one of the older episodes Boob & a couple of the Howlers bought a bunk bed set at a thrift store. IIRC Boob was excited because he got a good price which included the mattresses. I just cringe thinking about who used those mattresses before. Double yuck !!

I would put more stock in the back issue if I saw her holding the children on her lap while sitting down, or watched the children snuggle up against her on the couch or in their beds.  I have several pain conditions that make lifting very difficult, although they were not a problem during pregnancy and they often do not keep me from doing a variety of things that make me look like I lead a pretty robust lift.  But it does make lifting and carrying a child every single day very difficult, especially after one year.  But I snuggle with my daughter a LOT!  You don't have to life a child to "hold" it. Even Michelle does hold a young child or one of her grandchildren, we don't see her nuzzle their head with her cheek, or randomly give them a kiss on the top of their head -- little things that most of us do without even thinking about it, even as we're talking to other people and are distracted elsewhere.

• Love 4

I think the people who are praising this lifestyle are looking at it from the point of view of the parents, not the kids.   Look, the kids are so well-behaved.   No constant nagging to get your kids to do their chores.   They done cheerfully with a smile.   Doesn't seem to be any referreeing of umpteen million fights due to sibling rivalry.   You never hear the "Did too, did not" argument or get complaints that "he's looking at me, making him stop looking at me."    All is calm and serene.   

Who WOULDN'T want that?   Especially after the dog threw up on the rug and toddler tried to eat it and while you were cleaning it up, you heard the other one yelling "I'm telling" and you know the evening fight over homework is still ahead?

This summarizes the Duggar worshippers perfectly, I think.  They don't want to look beneath the surface to see what the kids have had to sacrifice to keep up that "perfect" facade. 

Though I do wonder how they block out the screaming, the filth and the constant property destruction that comes from these kids. 

I would put more stock in the back issue if I saw her holding the children on her lap while sitting down, or watched the children snuggle up against her on the couch or in their beds.  I have several pain conditions that make lifting very difficult, although they were not a problem during pregnancy and they often do not keep me from doing a variety of things that make me look like I lead a pretty robust lift.  But it does make lifting and carrying a child every single day very difficult, especially after one year.  But I snuggle with my daughter a LOT!  You don't have to life a child to "hold" it. Even Michelle does hold a young child or one of her grandchildren, we don't see her nuzzle their head with her cheek, or randomly give them a kiss on the top of their head -- little things that most of us do without even thinking about it, even as we're talking to other people and are distracted elsewhere.

Agreed! I have some pretty severe muscle issues and no kids, partly because of the muscle problems, but I snuggle up with my niece. It can be done.

I think Michelle simply doesn't like or enjoy children.  She does like being pregnant and getting that attention, but once the "newness" of the baby wears off and the baby begins to crawl and suchlike, she dumps it on another child and then does her best to get pregnant again.  All this "missing muscle" crap is just an excuse so she doesn't have to actually interact with her children once they're not newborns anymore.

There's nothing wrong with not liking children--granted, I'm biased, because I don't enjoy children either.  But I therefore never had any.  I almost feel sorry for Michelle, stuck in a religion that practically fetishizes having many children, when I suspect she would much rather have been able to boink JimBob at will with no kids resulting.

• Love 5

I think Michelle simply doesn't like or enjoy children.  She does like being pregnant and getting that attention, but once the "newness" of the baby wears off and the baby begins to crawl and suchlike, she dumps it on another child and then does her best to get pregnant again.  All this "missing muscle" crap is just an excuse so she doesn't have to actually interact with her children once they're not newborns anymore.

There's nothing wrong with not liking children--granted, I'm biased, because I don't enjoy children either.  But I therefore never had any.  I almost feel sorry for Michelle, stuck in a religion that practically fetishizes having many children, when I suspect she would much rather have been able to boink JimBob at will with no kids resulting.

Michelle said she had to pray to have a heart for children, which I took to mean that she didn't really care for kids but needed to get her mind straight to fit her new lifestyle.

Michelle wasn't raised in this cult; she chose it. Maybe she should have looked around a little more before she signed up.

As for boinking JimBob at will, that will most likely be the most disgusting image I'll encounter today.

Edited by BradandJanet
  • Love 3
Michelle Duggar probably heard about your sad, sad condition and couldn't stand anyone else getting attention so she had the same problem too.   Remember the "bulimia" reveal?

Wow. So she experienced the emotional torment of an eating disorder when she was a teenager... and now chooses to raise her daughters in a belief system that requires them to be thin?!?!? Imo if she's not lying about the bulimia then she's Mommie Dearest. Either way this now goes near the very top of my list of Duggar things that get on my nerves.

• Love 2

I agree, and Jim Bob is an even bigger moron who doesn't recognize that his wife needs some professional help with multiple issues and doesn't get it for her. How can he realize that his wife, who is approaching 50 years old, doesn't look, act, or speak like an adult woman of her age? I wonder if the older kids notice that too? Look at the VAST difference between Michelle and Cathy Byrum; she conducts herself like an adult woman. Jill could learn a lot from her if she gives her the chance and shuts up long enough for Cathy to complete her sentence and make her point to Jill.

I still say that back muscle stuff is bull-loney. If that were true, how then could she have been pregnant so many times and carried those kids to term? She would have been in terrible pain and wouldn't have been able to function, (even at her lazy level)? When JB "called" I bet she swung from the chandeliers for him! How else could one explain her still athletic ability to wake board on that lake? Strong leg muscles....

• Love 1
I think the people who are praising this lifestyle are looking at it from the point of view of the parents, not the kids.   Look, the kids are so well-behaved.   No constant nagging to get your kids to do their chores.   They done cheerfully with a smile.   Doesn't seem to be any referreeing of umpteen million fights due to sibling rivalry.   You never hear the "Did too, did not" argument or get complaints that "he's looking at me, making him stop looking at me."    All is calm and serene.

I think this is true. I will admit that I liked the Duggars when I first started watching this show. I wouldn't call myself a "fan", and I certainly didn't think the way they did every single thing was right, but I thought they were good, wholesome people raising good, wholesome kids. I was Googling something about them one day (can't remember now) and found TWOP. I couldn't believe how many people disliked the Duggars. But I kept reading, and I'll tell you this - I learned a lot more about them from the posters on these forums than I ever did on the show. 

Now it's hard to remember what they looked like to my unlearned eyes. But I think a lot of the stuff that bothers me so much now is clear to me because I KNOW what they're really like. I think for an uninformed viewer, those red flags are kind of glossed over. Not everyone is a super perceptive TV watcher. A lot of their fans may just have this on as they're doing other things, and not pick up on a lot of the things that we do. For instance, I never remembered hearing them mention blanket training back when I was first watching. That's something I learned from you guys. Now that I'm privy to so much, I pick up on every, little foul thing that they do. But I am not certain the average watcher would. 

But I also think they have gotten worse at keeping up their veneer over the years. As kids have been getting older, leaving the nest, story lines are drying up - I think the desperation is at an all time high, and the cracks are showing more than ever before. But they will always have those fans who only see what they want to see. 

• Love 4

One of my co-workers views the Duggars as such an amazing family and she can't understand why I don't think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread. She's very passionate about how well the Duggars are behaved (haha), how well they are dressed and fed (lmao). I often wonder if she's watching the same show.

Edited by Joe Jitsu913
  • Love 1

I think this is true. I will admit that I liked the Duggars when I first started watching this show. I wouldn't call myself a "fan", and I certainly didn't think the way they did every single thing was right, but I thought they were good, wholesome people raising good, wholesome kids. I was Googling something about them one day (can't remember now) and found TWOP. I couldn't believe how many people disliked the Duggars. But I kept reading, and I'll tell you this - I learned a lot more about them from the posters on these forums than I ever did on the show.

Now it's hard to remember what they looked like to my unlearned eyes. But I think a lot of the stuff that bothers me so much now is clear to me because I KNOW what they're really like. I think for an uninformed viewer, those red flags are kind of glossed over. Not everyone is a super perceptive TV watcher. A lot of their fans may just have this on as they're doing other things, and not pick up on a lot of the things that we do. For instance, I never remembered hearing them mention blanket training back when I was first watching. That's something I learned from you guys. Now that I'm privy to so much, I pick up on every, little foul thing that they do. But I am not certain the average watcher would.

But I also think they have gotten worse at keeping up their veneer over the years. As kids have been getting older, leaving the nest, story lines are drying up - I think the desperation is at an all time high, and the cracks are showing more than ever before. But they will always have those fans who only see what they want to see.

Ghoulina- I could have written this because I too googled them & found Duggars without pity & TWoP and all the comments about them. Boy I have learned a lot in a little over a year.
  • Love 3

I am sure this has been mention countless times but just the double standard. Michelle and Jim Bob clearly had a life when they were teenagers and kids. Also had more freedom of choice when they were teenagers and when they were married and used birth control for few years.

Just not allowing there children to have the same right just saddens me.

Also Michelle very, quiet voice like she constantly reading to a bunch of napping children.

• Love 2

Today is the first day i 9 or 10 weeks I've had access to TLC channel.  There are several episodes on, all of which were discussed here so much that I really don't need to watch.  That is good because I have a very short attention span with this stuff.  Do they know the word FACE, rather than countenance?  Or TRY or INTEND rather than purpose?  It is so very annoying.

Again, I think we have to keep in mind that JB and Michelle don't look back on their normal teenage years with nostalgia and smiles, but with shame and regret, for whatever weird reasons.

I don't really know where to post this since there is not a thread for tomorrow's episode but I have some proposals (see what I did there ;) ) for the drinking game:

Special

2 weeks

Sister(s)

Excited

Holding hands

If you are playing drink responsibly!

• Love 1
Again, I think we have to keep in mind that JB and Michelle don't look back on their normal teenage years with nostalgia and smiles, but with shame and regret, for whatever weird reasons.

That's what I've always thought. They feel like they somehow dodged a bullet with their past and want to make sure their children are protected from the "dangers" of things dating and jeans (for girls) and television and birth control.

Free will and the ability to choose your own path are casualties of the parent's decisions and the irony is completely lost on them.  They chose this rigid, patriarchal (misogynistic) lifestyle and won't allow their own children to make their own choices.  Clearly neither JB nor Michelle was raised this way, so they "defied" their own parents when they struck out on this path. I've often wondered how JB spins that to his kids.  "Honor your father and mother", "Obey your parents", unless they aren't the "right" kind of Christians.

Part of becoming an adult is forming your own opinions about the world (and/or religion), apart from your parents.  My own mother is a "literalist."  (Not as hard-core as a Duggar). She believes the Earth is only about six thousand years old. I disagree completely and we can have civil discussions. I've never once feared "shunning", been threatened with a loss of salvation of whatever else these kids suffer if they would dare to disagree.

• Love 1

I was watching a rerun last night and I don't remember if it was Jim Bob or Michelle that said they knew the other was "the one" after they stayed up and talked for 4 hours... Either way that's an opportunity to get to know someone that none of their kids will ever have...even to talk on the phone. I'm sure there was not a parent listening in. It just shows the flaw in their thinking that if two people are alone together they will have sex... Unless of course more happened that first date that they haven't shared...

I'm watching the Duggars Do Asia episode and what bothers me is their complete lack of desire to actually experience and respect a new culture. I'm not sure how much was the show and how much was the Duggars, but they seem to be more bent on making sure people know they are a Christian, superfamily, than they do listening to the stories and nuances of the culture they are immersed in. They went to Japan and every thing they did was commercialized or stereotypical Japan.

But, what really frosted my cake was watching Michelle cheat. I mean, full out, no questions asked, no shame, CHEAT on their scavenger hunt (each item was supposed to be bought at a different store, she got it all at two). She didn't do the Christian thing (or the human parent thing) by admitting her fault and acquiescence to the loss. Jim Bob is such a loser in any country. He makes it all about his country bumpkin act.

• Love 3

About the back muscle issue... in recent years, she went waterskiing, skydiving with jessa, horseback riding with johanna. I'm not buying this crock of crap. Maybe she ought to just shut her mouth...her jaw muscles might give out too.

Edited by lucille66
  • Love 3

Ssshhhhhh! Please pleeeease don't say anything more about the "missing muscle" thing being BS! My husband is under the impression that I'm missing a muscle and am therefore unable to operate the vacuum cleaner.

LOVE THIS!!!!!  Good one!

• Love 3

Every time I read this thread's title, I think "everything." And that's probably going to be the case unless or until one of the kids leaves home and publicly turns on Jim Boob and MEchelle and their whole act.

• Love 4
Micks Picks, on 13 Oct 2014 - 8:22 PM, said:

Today is the first day i 9 or 10 weeks I've had access to TLC channel.  There are several episodes on, all of which were discussed here so much that I really don't need to watch.  That is good because I have a very short attention span with this stuff.  Do they know the word FACE, rather than countenance?  Or TRY or INTEND rather than purpose?  It is so very annoying.

I have never in my life heard anyone other than the Duggars use the word "countenance". It sounds ridiculous every time one  of them mentions it.  And they often will say something like "our goal is to draw attention to our countenance...the face" so it's pretty clear that they know that very few people use/know that term outside of their cult and they need to provide the definition.

• Love 1

I don't remember Michelle saying that her parents stayed up with Jim Bob and her on their first date....anyway, remember when we all met that "someone new"? Didn't we talk for hours on end also? Sure we did. It seems we never ran out of things to say nor did we grow tired or bored listening to that great person who just shook my world! It's a natural immediate reaction for two people who may be attracted to each other to never tire of each other in the beginning. These people mistaken that "euphoric hormone" someone new time for lasting, true, real love and that means marriage...so not true. In most cases, time is needed to get over that period and see how you really feel about one another after you have seen each other's "warts'. They marry on a false high of infatuation and raging hormones. Not criteria to build a life and a family together, IMO.

During Jill's wedding dress shopping, we had to sit through Meechelle, yet again describe how "modest" Jill will want HER gown to be...and then she goes on again to describe what that is, higher neckline, shoulders covered, blah, blah blah,,,, I wanted to throw a pillow at the TV. What else could Jill possible want when a pair of shorts or pants have never been put on her from birth? She is still selling that line about modesty being their choice....yeah, and I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.

• Love 4

When television personalities begin to get controversial, they usually implode on themselves. This family is just a TV personality and they are beginning to do that all on their very own. Their original concept was that of a large family and how they do day to day things, etc. I don't recognize them in the least today. Wait for the explosion folks.

• Love 1

I don't remember Michelle saying that her parents stayed up with Jim Bob and her on their first date....

During Jill's wedding dress shopping, we had to sit through Meechelle, yet again describe how "modest" Jill will want HER gown to be...and then she goes on again to describe what that is, higher neckline, shoulders covered, blah, blah blah,,,, I wanted to throw a pillow at the TV. 

Neither Michelle nor Jim Bob were involved in this whole fundie courtship stuff, so I doubt very much they were chaperoned, or even had the thought that they needed to be. The whole "I Kissed Dating Goodbye" courtship movement surged in the mid 90s, at least 10-12 years after they married.

As for the Flamboyant Modesty - and I deeply appreciate the poster above who coined that - Michelle IMO is just another one of those women who mowed the lawn in a bikini top and daisy dukes, until she landed her man and got super out of shape from back to back pregnancies, bad nutrition, age and just not living a healthy lifestyle, so suddenly they want every other women to cover up under the guise of 'sin.'

• Love 4

I don't really know where to post this since there is not a thread for tomorrow's episode but I have some proposals (see what I did there ;) ) for the drinking game:

Special

2 weeks

Sister(s)

Excited

Holding hands

If you are playing drink responsibly!

Can I add one?  Derickdillardderickdillarderickdillard

• Love 2

What gets me about this family? Their flamboyant modesty! Plain and simple.

Wow that is so well phrased. Flamboyant modesty. My "oh so modest" grandma would have been pretty proud of this phrase and title. It's always funny to me when people have to advertise "look, look, this covers my neck AND my kneecaps! so I won't offend anyone!"  Okay....

I have never in my life heard anyone other than the Duggars use the word "countenance". It sounds ridiculous every time one  of them mentions it.  And they often will say something like "our goal is to draw attention to our countenance...the face" so it's pretty clear that they know that very few people use/know that term outside of their cult and they need to provide the definition.

I'm pretty sure it was used in my "Old English Literature" classes in college. I remember using it in essays (yes, normal college). I don't think I've ever heard it used in day to day life, though.

• Love 1

She did say they sat up with her parents and spoke for 4 hours, not alone

I call bs on this. No sane adult in the world is going to sit and listen to two teenagers talk for four hours.

Also, there is no mention that J'chelle's parents were this fundie, and she was the youngest child. Even in really strict households, the rules are usually less dogmatic at child 6-7 than they are at 1-2.

• Love 2

I call bs on this. No sane adult in the world is going to sit and listen to two teenagers talk for four hours.

Also, there is no mention that J'chelle's parents were this fundie, and she was the youngest child. Even in really strict households, the rules are usually less dogmatic at child 6-7 than they are at 1-2.

I didn't hear her say her it was with her parents. I could see that if Michelle's parents knew she was one of those overly dramatic girls who, from middle school, threw her heart on every guy she liked and was devastated when they broke up three days later, even though they'd never even kissed or went out on a date. I'd want to monitor whoever she was with to make sure she wasn't taken advantage of by a slimeball. This heart flinging behavior also explains to me how so many people are all "I knew he was my SOULMATE when I saw him across a room and didn't know his name or that he existed five seconds before" and are also a lot of the people who marry as teenagers a few months after dating. Her parents were probably thrilled that Jim Bob was a gentleman who thought she hung the moon, instead of someone who would take advantage of her.