Type keyword(s) to search

19 Things I Hate About You: How the Duggars Infuriate

• Start Topic

Well all she does is have sex, make babies (ok not anymore thank God) and organize things...she does no work so lives the life of Riley so she has no stress really. Her face is super dry though and her hair is very damaged from all the hot appliances/products and hair spray.  

She is nearly 50. Yes, she looks young. She doesn't dress young but, her face looks great. I think it is all those pregnancy hormones.

I think it's all that lying on her back. Maybe it lessens the effect of gravity on her face.

• Love 11

Nothing bugs me more than people like the Duggars and Bateses who bleat the "freedom isn't free" line when they refuse to serve and bitch and moan about paying taxes being "theft."  So you're saying freedom isn't free, but...YOU don't want to be the one to pay for it, with your actions or your money?  And liberals are the freeloaders? 

• Love 9

Her body doesn't look young, especially in the blue blouse/denim skirt special, but her face looks on the young side of her age. Tanner and makeup may be helping on camera. I wonder if she dyes her hair. Ugh. Another chore for Jana, if she does.

Right I was only talking about her face looking young. Her body has to be some kind of mess under the weird clothes.

• Love 2

Right I was only talking about her face looking young. Her body has to be some kind of mess under the weird clothes.

I still think this is why she didn't want to have the salesperson see her try on the mother-of-the-bride dresses at that Princess Party thing; I suspect she's a wreck between the neck and knees.

• Love 1

So they are shutting down Honey Boo Boo because of Mama June's affiliation with a sex offender, but the

Duggars on even though they are affiliated with another sex offender....hmmm.

Not to defend the Duggars' following of Gothard but these two things are drastically different. Mama June has willingly restarted a relationship with a man who was in jail for 10 years for molesting her own daughter. That's just sick. The Duggars' follow an organization whose founder was involved in a sex scandal but never charged with anything. Personally I wouldn't get anywhere near the child molester or Bill Gothard but they aren't the same thing in terms of TLC and their show.

• Love 6

In today's news is the death of a 19-year-old Marine in Iraq. One thing that should bug all of us about the Duggars is that they are staunch Republicans who espouse patriotism but not a single one has shown any inclination to serve in the military. Josh? No. John David? No. Duggar in waiting Ben? No. Certainly not any of the young women. I'll give Derick a pass because he did spend 2 years in Nepal following his faith on a religious mission. But for a bunch of flag waving, freedom isn't free types, they sure seem content to stay the hell out of harm's way and let others do the fighting.

Reminds me of Mitt Romney's family. All of those sons, not one in the military.

• Love 5

I worked for an OB/gyn office & our nurse practitioner said she couldn't even imagine what Michelle's uterus, pelvic area & boobs looked like after all those kids. It seems like the mothers of multiples or many births need some type of tummy tuck and/or breast surgery to put everything back where it is supposed to be. I agree with poster that said that's the reason why Michelle didn't want help at Kleinfelds.
  • Love 2
Long crunchy curled hair

A pea soup-colored blouses that doubled as circus tents in a previous life. 

In today's news is the death of a 19-year-old Marine in Iraq. One thing that should bug all of us about the Duggars is that they are staunch Republicans who espouse patriotism but not a single one has shown any inclination to serve in the military. Josh? No. John David? No. Duggar in waiting Ben? No. Certainly not any of the young women. I'll give Derick a pass because he did spend 2 years in Nepal following his faith on a religious mission. But for a bunch of flag waving, freedom isn't free types, they sure seem content to stay the hell out of harm's way and let others do the fighting.

I could swear that on one of those older episodes where they asked the kids what they wanted to be when they grew up, at least one of the boys mentioned the military. I would imagine it's Ma and Pa holding anyone back from joining. Too much exposure to other parts of the world and normal people who might put ideas into their heads.

• Love 3

I worked for an OB/gyn office & our nurse practitioner said she couldn't even imagine what Michelle's uterus, pelvic area & boobs looked like after all those kids. It seems like the mothers of multiples or many births need some type of tummy tuck and/or breast surgery to put everything back where it is supposed to be. I agree with poster that said that's the reason why Michelle didn't want help at Kleinfelds.

I imagine you could be right, along with the supposed modesty...plus, there is the possibility that Michelle wears Depends.  Lots of women suffer from incontinence, but after so many pregnancies it seems likely she might experience heavy-duty leakage.

• Love 4

My gut reaction (no pun intended) as to why she's latched so hard onto the modesty rules, is because her own body is way too wrecked to wear anything that shows from neck to knee, so EVERYONE needs to cover those areas up as well.

• Love 5

I hate when they say this. It's basically Biology and common sense 1+1=3

I don't think it is "leaving it in God's hands" when you are charting your fertility so closely & doing everything you can during the fertile times to ensure that you get pregnant.

Leaving it on God's hands would be ripping up the fertility charts & having sex when you wanted to, not when temps & charts tell you to.

• Love 10

I'll be the first to admit this is rude of me, but can her boobs really be that low or is the dress creating an optical illusion? 

Hell , I only had three and I could use a both.

• Love 2

I wish I thought that their obsession with modesty had to do with Michelle's insecurity about her body. But I really think that they were much more modest about ten to fifteen years ago than they are now. As her body became even more damaged, they actually lightened up on a lot of the strictest rules, the most basic being that everyone needed to look almost identical to everyone else, divided only by gender.

I think Michelle thinks she's still pretty hot stuff.

Edited by GEML
  • Love 1

I was watching The Waltons (I know, sad, huh?) and Erin felt bad about something so decided to go "plain" to punish herself.  Her mother finally said something to the effect that she was "prideful" because she was calling attention to herself.  Something along the lines of "Look at me, I'm so plain".  I immediately thought of the Duggars.  

Lookeyloo, I saw that episode, too. I watch the Waltons on the regular and think about how I've never seen an episode that would be Duggar appropriate. The Waltons! One of the reasons I like watching it is because the family was downright liberal. Ma's talk to Erin was amazing, pointed and yet loving. The Duggars, IMO have more in common with the Kardashians that they do with the Waltons.

• Love 8

It also gets on my nerves that they still tout how hard it is to do everything with 19 kids. You don't have 19 "kids" anymore... Josh, Jill and I think John David don't live at home anymore. That's down to 16 (soon 15 with Jessa) and beyond that nearly half are over the age of 18, thus no longer "kids" (I don't know the ages off the top of my head). In fact if you count the number of children truly dependent on needing help, you could possibly count that on 1 hand. Yeah, I'm sure when a few years back things were more difficult, so much so even Josh and John David had buddies, but the fact that they continue to use having 19 kids as a reason to be late to everything is just beyond me.

• Love 3

It also gets on my nerves that they still tout how hard it is to do everything with 19 kids. You don't have 19 "kids" anymore... Josh, Jill and I think John David don't live at home anymore. That's down to 16 (soon 15 with Jessa) and beyond that nearly half are over the age of 18, thus no longer "kids" (I don't know the ages off the top of my head). In fact if you count the number of children truly dependent on needing help, you could possibly count that on 1 hand. Yeah, I'm sure when a few years back things were more difficult, so much so even Josh and John David had buddies, but the fact that they continue to use having 19 kids as a reason to be late to everything is just beyond me.

9 kids are adults. 10 are underage starting with Joy whose turning 17 in a few days. The rest can help out and take responsibility for themselves. I hate when they use this excuse for everything. Especially when they're late. O it was hard. We have to pack for so many people. And get everyone loaded. Having 19 kids is so difficult. So why have 19kids??

• Love 3

9 kids are adults. 10 are underage starting with Joy whose turning 17 in a few days. The rest can help out and take responsibility for themselves. I hate when they use this excuse for everything. Especially when they're late. O it was hard. We have to pack for so many people. And get everyone loaded. Having 19 kids is so difficult. So why have 19kids??

Exactly! The Duggars have brought all this on themselves. Intelligent - and considerate - people would figure out pretty early on that if they were late once because they had so much prep before a trip, maybe they should start to get ready EARLIER the next time. But Boob & MEchelle think they should be granted a pass - and get that pass EVERY TIME - because they have such a massive family.

• Love 3

Reminds me of Mitt Romney's family. All of those sons, not one in the military.

Well, I will say this. Most of my family served in the military and they're all Republicans. But they're middle class peeps. And, my dad is from Pine Bluff, Arkansas. LOL

• Love 1

I have stated before that I thought the real reason Michelle didn't want the Kleinfeld female bridal consultant to help her into the gown was because of the state of her body and I'm pretty sure she wears heavy duty Depends by now...I'm sure that's the secret of the century. It has nothing to do with modesty, after all, the woman delivers her babies on TV doesn't she?

I don't buy the Duggar excuse for being late one bit...because of their size? The older girls have stated when their parents aren't involved they leave on time. How did all of them get to the airport when Derick was arriving and manage to be WAITING FOR HIM TO LAND? They can move when they want to...How do they, then, explain how a classroom of kindergarten children, (what 18 of them) manage to move through their school day on time and show up and the cafeteria, PE and "specials" on time for class? They need to re-think their opinion of school and professional teachers in general, don't they?

• Love 6

Exactly! The Duggars have brought all this on themselves. Intelligent - and considerate - people would figure out pretty early on that if they were late once because they had so much prep before a trip, maybe they should start to get ready EARLIER the next time. But Boob & MEchelle think they should be granted a pass - and get that pass EVERY TIME - because they have such a massive family.

They always seem to be on time for media appearances, though. They think that the world revolves around them. When they're in the spotlight, there on time. Other people's time is not important. It's all part of their selfishness.

• Love 6

I don't really know where to post this since there is not a thread for tomorrow's episode but I have some proposals (see what I did there ;) ) for the drinking game:

Special

2 weeks

Sister(s)

Excited

Holding hands

If you are playing drink responsibly!

lol- Love it.  I hope we get a new thread in time to come up with a new drinking game for this week.

• Love 1

They always seem to be on time for media appearances, though. They think that the world revolves around them. When they're in the spotlight, there on time. Other people's time is not important. It's all part of their selfishness.

They know that if they don't get there on time, the show will kick their butts off the show and never invite them back again.  

Everything else, they are late for and feel that they are better than and feel it's okay to live on that stupid "Duggar time".  I really wish a big hand would come out and slap them when they use that excuse or even say that term.

• Love 2

I googled some pics of the wedding looking for Michelle's silver dress and found a top shot only of it with Jim Bob beside her giving her a very weird disapproving look...wonder what that was all about!

When meeechelle says we have so many people to get ready the two parents in the house should be helping the older ones get things ready. Everything is so funny to her. I think those kids are living in abuse every day. It is there responsibility to raise the younger ones. They are never going to know what a normal life is, nor will most of them ever know what it like to sleep alone in there beds.

ABUSE

When Bob said when Jill and Derrick moved in that he doesn't know if he'll be able to help all of his kids out with a house because 19 kids is a lot. Well news flash, you should have thought about that a lot earlier. All 19 of them deserve the royal treatment Jill is getting.

• Love 5

lol- Love it.  I hope we get a new thread in time to come up with a new drinking game for this week.

Oh, my. I'm here being lazy as hell watching this duggar marathon...and if I started the drinking game this early, I'd have alcohol poisoning by the wedding episode...

So if there's a thread for comments during this marathon/drinking game, where would it be? I would love reading your comments!!!

• Love 1

MEchelle talking about how much she wants grand babies and yet when they went to DC for a week for that holiday dinner, I never saw MEchelle pick up a grand baby or interact with Mackenzie.  The only one I saw her doing anything for was Miracle. I did she Jim Boob holding Marcus and Jim Bob sitting in a chair with Jennifer.  I think he interacts a lot more than MEchelle.

At the end of this show, I found it hilarious that they had Mackenzie, Josie and Jordyn in a row.  Mackenzie reaches over to Jordyn (reaching past Miracle Josie) and says "Jordyn please stay forever and ever and ever with us."  I really don't think any of the girls like Josie.  Can't say I blame them.  She is quite bratty.

I will go one farther and say that people who are consistently late get a satisfaction and maybe even a little secret glee from making everyone wait. It becomes a way to control situations and people.

I agree. I have a family member who is consistently (every single week) late to church service. She stays behind and comes in a different car. I have often wondered if she enjoys the attention of the congregation turning to look at her when she walks in when the pastor has already begun his sermon.

I just can't stand it when people are always late, and the Duggars have no excuse.

• Love 4

I'm betting that they actually do return the favors.  I say this because they are too well liked within their own communities for it to be otherwise.  But I'm also betting that a lot of the families actually do not want to the cameras invading their lives so this is why we never see it.  How many of the posters here would ever have heard for Gothardism if it hadn't been for this show?  What are the chances that Gothard would have had the investigation about the sexual assaults on girls reopened if it weren't mentioned in EVERY SINGLE ARTICLE that he's affiliated with the Duggar's and their show?  They aren't even really affiliated with Doug Phillips and Vision Forum (who gave Michelle "Mother of the Year") but when his story broke about sex with the babysitter, the Duggars again were mentioned EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Within this world, the Duggars have been a very mixed blessing.  I think a lot of people think they have done more harm to their movement than anything else.  And they can't go and building everyone a nice big house like the Bates' got.  So you are never going to hear about them helping out at so-and-so's wedding or traveling to see personX finishing a homeschool GED.  But it is obviously happening because people are coming and showing up for their kids.  It's certainly not to be on camera, because a lot of these people shun the cameras.

And I probably had about 50 people volunteer at my wedding which wasn't as large as Jill's, but wasn't small, either (my guest list was 450.)  We didn't pay anyone, and there were only nominal fees given to people like the ministers, who had spent HOURS with us doing counseling.  It's just the way this culture works.  I don't know how to explain it any better than that, other than to say that yes, I understand that many people posting here think it's tacky and cheap, but most of the people there were very touched to be a part of it because they felt they had watched Jill grow up.  Relationships within this world are different -- you don't interact in the same way, but because of prayer chains and such, you know so much more about each other than most people do about the average person you might attend as the acquaintance of a wedding.  The only way I know to describe it as an oversharing FB page where everyone in the community is a "friend" and every little cut and boo boo is recorded for 20+ years.  You may not SEE that person more than a few times in their lives, but you KNOW more about them than is probably healthy!  Believe me, I lived it!  :)

• Love 5

When Bob said when Jill and Derrick moved in that he doesn't know if he'll be able to help all of his kids out with a house because 19 kids is a lot. Well news flash, you should have thought about that a lot earlier. All 19 of them deserve the royal treatment Jill is getting.

Especially since he claims he was doing this based on something in the Bible.  I never thought they'd flat-out admit that their religious beliefs take the backseat to their greed. 

• Love 1

It's not tacky when you are going to turn around in a month's time and volunteer for someone else's wedding.

I realize if you aren't part of this culture it sounds dreadful. But volunteerism is part if what makes this a community.

I'm sure this is completely true for many or most fundie families. However, speaking for myself, it seems that the Duggars always seem to be on the Taking side of volunteerism, not the Giving side. And more to the point, I personally think it's very inconsiderate - not to mention over-the-top cheap - to ask for other people's time and energy for help doing something they could very easily pay for themselves. The catering for what was served at Jill's wedding would be far less - even for 1000 people - than many of the weddings for 200-300 people we have here in the North and East, which are usually full sit-down meals, often buffets, with cocktail receptions beforehand and often open bars the whole time. They got so many freebies for this wedding, you'd think Boob could stick a crowbar in his wallet and pay for catering.

Edited by NausetGirl
  • Love 5

Oh, my. I'm here being lazy as hell watching this duggar marathon...and if I started the drinking game this early, I'd have alcohol poisoning by the wedding episode...

So if there's a thread for comments during this marathon/drinking game, where would it be? I would love reading your comments!!!

There are usually comments on the episode thread, I don't know if one has been created yet for the wedding episode.... Unfortunately I have a final tomorrow, so I have to respectfully bow out... But yall have fun and be careful! (And if anyone happens to be really good at test taking and informed about diabetes, hyper/hypothyroidism, hepatitis, cirrhosis and pancreatitis-nursing school private message me-juuuust kidding!)

My annoyance of the week comes from the marathon episodes where Jim Bob wanted the littles to watch and learn from the carpet layer... Then a few episodes later he was enlisting the older boys to help make the soapbox car starting blocks... And conveniently sent the littles off for their day with Jessa and Ben... I guess carpentry isn't that important to learn.

• Love 1

Yet they were so worried about traumatizing a child that didn't have a "J" name!  These people really have the most interesting thought processes.  Translate that to - they are so full of crud it's not funny. They just make this stuff up as they go along...

• Love 3

However, speaking for myself, it seems that the Duggars always seem to be on the Taking side of volunteerism, not the Giving side. And more to the point, I personally think it's very inconsiderate - not to mention over-the-top cheap - to ask for other people's time and energy for help doing something they could very easily pay for themselves.

This is it exactly. When the Duggars volunteer, it is a performance. It is "hey, look at us, I knocked her up a zillion times can you believe how much sex we have? None for you, heathens, unless you follow our idiotic standards!" I have no problem with church volunteers at weddings. I volunteered at some when I was in high school and still attending church and was honored to do so. I think if the Duggars were not religious, they would still be takers because that is what they value--what they can get. I think the fact that they are so immersed in their right-wing religiosity has provided them an opportunity to take more and to pretend they are giving by sharing their "holy" examples with the world--in their "missionary" work and through their show. 

I, for one, am here to snark on the Duggars and I think their delusional, condescending, holier-than-thou, deliberately ignorant, cheapskate ways provide more than ample opportunities to do so. YMMV.

• Love 5

What I'm saying is that the times where the Duggars would volunteer are times people WOULD NOT WANT TO BE ON CAMERA. That's sort of the point of my whole point. Sure, they are always making a big to-do of their public volunteerism, but those kids have pitched in their share of weddings. They would do it just to have the chance to mingle with other kids their own age. That it isn't in camera is probably because Jim Bob can't talk the fathers into it.

I snark on them when I think they are too stupid for words, and there's an astonishing amount of it. But I do also understand the culture they come out of, and to me, YMMV, there's a difference between real snark and a cheap shot because you want something to be true.

Edited by GEML
  • Love 2

But we never see any non-performative volunteering on the show and this board is about what we see on the show. Maybe they do some of it but the way they present themselves on the show is as a bunch of grifter holier-than-thou rubes so I don't see how we are supposed to respond to a characterization we have seen zero evidence of.

Please don't take this as a personal attack because it is truly not meant to be. I appreciate your insight into the world where they live, GEML. What I do not see is any self-reflection or insight on the part of the Duggars and they must have some input into how they are presented on the show. If this is how they want to come across and this is not an accurate depiction, then I am tempted to use your characterization of them as "too stupid for words."

• Love 6

Gothardism equates music with a beat to the devil. Pretty safe bet that Jill is not going to subject herself to anything too lively. I'm not being snarky by suggesting that her entertainment choices are, like her clothing, guided by her strong religious principles, which, realistically, are limiting. Just as she's not going to be seen in even a one piece bathing suit anytime soon, she's not going to buy a ticket to all but a very few shows that meet her moral standards. She's not about to check her beliefs at the stage door.

That line always makes me LOL- "Gothardism equates music with a beat to the devil".

What music doesn't have a beat? Jazz? :)

• Love 1

I would actually love to see the Duggars listen to jazz....

And I do think that Michelle and Jim Bob have really done themselves a lot of harm with the show, and done their movement a lot of harm as well. And I think this shows itself in the marriage prospects for their children within their world. I do think there is this perception that they are "Fundamentalist Royalty" when I think they are considered ambivalent at best.

However, I think there IS a real liking for the kids, which is why everyone pitches in. So I do think everyone likes the kids. And that would be because they have pitched in as well. We did see, for instance, the girls putting together the recipe gift (including multiple gift cards) for one of the Bates girls who wasn't known for being a cook. That was a "gag" gift but the gift cards probably cost what, $75-$100? That's a nice gift. It's easy to say TLC paid for it, but I bet they give comparable gifts to other friends. Which is why they are getting in return. It's not so different than being part of a weird fundamentalist sorority. You know your turn is coming, so you'd better pony up! ;)

• Love 1

That line always makes me LOL- "Gothardism equates music with a beat to the devil".

Drums are the work of the devil. Any percussion invites people Dance with Satan. 

That's one of the weird things I don't mind about the Duggars.  Progress is a better thing to focus on than perfection, I think.

However, when Anna added "and progress makes babies" last night, I nearly threw up. 

• Love 7
That's one of the weird things I don't mind about the Duggars.  Progress is a better thing to focus on than perfection, I think.

Oh, I totally agree. I will never utter "practice makes perfect" to my children, because nobody will ever be perfect. I think continually trying to work on yourself and at least make progress in certain areas is a good goal to have. But words are wind, and all the Duggars do is talk. If they could SHOW me any progress they've made in their lives (other than updating their wardrobes a bit) I wouldn't roll my eyes so much when they say it. 

The tardiness, for instance. How about practicing to be on time? Or maybe making progress with growing a garden and being more self sufficient? 

• Love 3

There is a LOT of humor with Josh and Anna about babies right now, and I think Freudianism is alive and well for them.  They are really sorting out what they think and how to think about having 19 kids and what it means for them and their future.  And it's coming out everywhere for them, sometimes as a "joke" and sometimes not.  I bet they have talked to each other more openly in the past year than they did the first three they were together in Arkansas.

• Love 3

NO! Not the evil jazz! It's been outlawed by zealots since it first appeared:

"Is there anything bad about jazz music itself?" I asked. "There certainly is! Those moaning saxophones and the rest of the instruments with their broken, jerky rhythm make a purely sensual appeal. They call out the low and rowdy instinct."

http://www.1920-30.com/dance/jazz-must-go.html

Granted, that's from 1921 but the Duggars are stuck in the dark ages anyway.