Type keyword(s) to search

Bethenny & Jason: The Divorce Showdown

• Start Topic

13 minutes ago, ladle said:

While I personally think that Instagram post is 100% wackadoodle, I find it so bizarre that a judge is weighing in on what Bethenny can and cannot wear. 

The judge was concerned about repercussions for Bryn - meaning, I’d think, that B was signaling it’s good for a mother to be tiny enough to fit into a little kid’s jams. Not something a healthy girl should strive for. It also shows that B didn’t even consider the message she might be sending to her daughter.

• Love 12
6 hours ago, Jel said:

The expert thinks Bryn has two, loving, competent parents. I don't think that comes as a surprise. But the judge is quoted to have said (he was glad to hear that Jason) "is taking steps to get past this anger which is poisoning their ability to co-parent."

That sounds like the judge thinks Jason is the main problem with respect to the daily ins and outs and compromises required for amicable co-parenting.  If there's another way to interpret that statement, I don't see it. Maybe someone could enlighten me.

Just speaking only of Jason for a moment now -- If Jason is in therapy for his anger issues I'd expect to see a more understanding, less demanding and controlling approach going forward, because that's the goal of therapy -- to get yourself functional to the point where anger/sadness whatever is not interfering with your daily life (nutshell version). So far, with Jason's refusal to even allow Bethenny to have extra time with Bryn to tell her about Dennis unless Jason was also present, I'm thinking the therapy has not yet "taken".

I imagine someone would argue that he's Bryn's parent too and he needed to be there in the moment when Bryn was told. I disagree.  Jason could, and should, also talk to her about it, but on another day. Grief takes time.

I think many would argue that his intention to be there when Bryn was told about Dennis wasn't abuse or about harming B, but about being worried about how Dennis' death would be presented (see Cookie and instagram).  For the Judge?  It's one day, in an extreme situation (the death of someone close to one of her parents who she knew) that's not likely to be repeated on a regular basis.  So not, in itself, a reason to change the custody arrangement.

I have a suspicion that the evaluation suggested therapy for both parents.  That the evaluator suggested it for Jason makes lots of sense considering the texts, criminal charges (though dropped or did he plead to lesser charges, I can't recall), and the need for the parents to communicate if they want to co-parent.  The acknowledgement that Jason has started therapy makes sense in that context, his lawyers letting the Court know that he's appropriately responding to the report.  Bethenny?  I am guessing she's already in therapy, hopefully not with the idiot therapist who agreed to be on tv.  Then, no need to mention it in court, as it's likely already noted in the report.

I hadn't read that direct quote from the Court, but if the Judge seriously believes Jason is the only impediment to joint custody, then I bet there won't be joint custody.  But of course there still hasn't been a hearing/trial on B's petition to change custody, and Jason's anger may be explained in a context that makes the Judge conclude that both parties need to grow up and act like adults.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Rap541 said:

Well, my original comment was a generality because frankly, I do know a lot of parents who wouldn't be ok with their young daughters sleeping over in a home where the only adult present was a single dad they might not know that well.

But if we're going to talk character....

I wouldn't send a kid of mine to a sleep over at Bethenny Frankel's because I think she's possibly irresponsible and would encourage body issues. 

I wouldn't send a kid of mine to a sleep over at Jason Hoppy's because he's got an anger problem with women and doesn't control himself. 

Yes to a sleep over at Beth's -- the kid could come home with a swag bag full of diet snacks. Swaggy!

No to a sleep over at Jason's because that swag bag could be full of seething hate and existential angst. Not swaggy. 

Just kidding. I'm sure that would be fun too with Grandma Hoppy's rice krispy squares and Grandpa Hoppy all dressed up in his finest underwear.

Honestly though, count me as a parent who would not have let my kid to go to a sleepover at a single dad's house. Probably unfair of me but I'm being honest.  (Somewhere my son is making that annoying little helicopter gesture....the cheeky monkey!)

• Love 6
2 hours ago, nexxie said:

The judge was concerned about repercussions for Bryn - meaning, I’d think, that B was signaling it’s good for a mother to be tiny enough to fit into a little kid’s jams. Not something a healthy girl should strive for. It also shows that B didn’t even consider the message she might be sending to her daughter.

Don't get me wrong; I don't think it's great parenting.  (It's also just... freaking weird.)  But I didn't think judges typically weighed in (no pun intended) on day-to-day parenting decisions, except in cases of abuse or if there was a dispute between parties. 

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, ladle said:

Don't get me wrong; I don't think it's great parenting.  (It's also just... freaking weird.)  But I didn't think judges typically weighed in (no pun intended) on day-to-day parenting decisions, except in cases of abuse or if there was a dispute between parties. 

After watching the Manafort trial this week, it seems judges are comfortable jumping in with all kinds of opinions - who knew?!

• Love 3

It really is possible, and likely - that Jason is an a-hole all on his own - not because he deals with Bethenny - but because he's just a jerk. I mean - he wasn't an angelic sweet boy who got raptured by Bethenny and now can not act like an adult and be a decent human being. What kind of normal, sweet, kind, person squats in the house their spouse bought, acts like an obnoxious douche while living together (while divorcing), poops in the toilet and doesn't flush, demands spousal support (so funny he had to pay it back), doesn't get a job, stalks and harasses the mother of their child... Hey - I get it, Bethenny is her own ball of delight, but... he should have been able to be the grown up - being so sweet and nice like he was... (note sarcasm).  If he's had such a normal childhood (I doubt it - given his parents lost a child - that household had to have it's own issues, sadly), why can't he be the grown adult if Bethenny is incapable of it herself? Someone has to grow the heck up in this situation - so holier than thou Jason ought to take it upon himself to be a mature well-mannered adult. Sorry not sorry but he doesn't get a "get out of jail free" pass from me just because he deals with Bethenny... hopefully Hoppy can find his happy...

• Love 13
5 hours ago, film noire said:

Sure, but that's not the case here.

I really thought I took great pains to make it abundantly clear that I wasn't saying that it was the case here.  Someone said that because every pap picture of Jason and Brynn show a happy child means that there's no chance there are problems with Jason's parenting and I was simply pointing out that there are people who are horribly abusive parents and yet their kids still love them and I'm sure they also have pictures of their kids smiling and happy at times.  Still, I thought I tried to make it clear that I wasn't suggesting this was the case with Jason and Brynn, but if it wasn't clear, then I'm sorry.  I do not think he's abusing her at all.  I do think he probably doesn't always have the ability to separate his feelings about the divorce from his decision making process and I can see how that may impact Brynn in some ways.  Not directly, necessarily, but, I think it's very possible he would make a choice to do something to spite Bethenny, or make something more difficult for her and not really think about the fact that when he does that, it has an impact on Brynn down the line.  For example, I've known people who were real assholes to their exes when it came to visitation schedules and one parent might want to take a kid on a vacation but because of their work schedule, they had to take their vacation in a way that would require having the child on 2 of the other parent's days.  The other parent refused to cooperate and swap days so the child go on the trip.  Who does that end up hurting?  When the parents are able to work together and be flexible, the kid benefits.  

• Love 5
On August 20, 2018 at 9:28 PM, Rap541 said:

Respectfully, because I in no way have any concerns or fears about Jason Hoppy in this respect, I know a lot of parents who will not allow their prepubescent daughters to attend a sleep over at a home where the only adult present is a single heterosexual adult male. And frankly, I know a lot of single dads who will not have sleep overs at their home because it's not worth the risk of an accusation. 

Well said.  Thank you for putting into words what I was thinking.

When Jason and Bryn drive to PA how does he take her to the bathroom while they're on the road?    

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, AnnA said:

Well said.  Thank you for putting into words what I was thinking.

When Jason and Bryn drive to PA how does he take her to the bathroom while they're on the road?    

Family bathrooms, individual bathrooms and a gazillion solutions exist. Dads go on trips with their female children every day as women do with their male children somehow it all works out. She is currently 8, I imagine she doesn’t want either of them actually accompanying her in the bathroom. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 9
8 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Family bathrooms, individual bathrooms and a gazillion solutions exist. Dads go on trips with their female children every day as women do with their male children somehow it all works out. She is currently 8, I imagine she doesn’t want either of them actually accompanying her in the bathroom. 

I haven't seen "family bathrooms" anywhere I've been.  Some places do have individual bathrooms but not rest stops on the NJ or PA turnpike.   I wouldn't send an 8 year old girl into a ladies room by herself.

Edited by AnnA
47 minutes ago, AnnA said:

I haven't seen "family bathrooms" anywhere I've been.  Some places do have individual npbathrooms but not a rest stop on the highway.      I wouldn't send an 8 year old girl into a ladies room by herself.

The drive from NYC to PA is 2 1/2 hours and there are many other options besides highway rest stops. That said more and more highway rest stops are in fact including family bathrooms/individual bathrooms. Lots of parents stand outside of the bathroom and talk to their kid while they are in there as one of the many examples of ways to make it work. Parents take their opposite sex child out in the world everyday, even married parents.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

The drive from NYC to PA is 2 1/2 hours and there are many other options besides highway rest stops. That said more and more highway rest stops are in fact including family bathrooms/individual bathrooms. Lots of parents stand outside of the bathroom and talk to their kid while they are in there as one of the many examples of ways to make it work. Parents take their opposite sex child out in the world everyday, even married parents.

My husband has taken our girls into the men's room before. Sometimes, you just have to grit your teeth and do what is necessary to get a child to a toilet.

• Love 14
57 minutes ago, Rosiejuliemom said:

My husband has taken our girls into the men's room before. Sometimes, you just have to grit your teeth and do what is necessary to get a child to a toilet.

I used to laugh because my brother would cover his daughter’s eyes when he would take her into the men’s room from about the age of 3 until however old she was when she went in by herself.  My husband hasn’t encountered this yet because our 6 year old just runs in by herself and he will stand outside.

I’m the weirdo that doesn’t really see an issue with the pajamas post from B but I’m a little bit more “Meh” with stuff unless it puts a child in danger.  Like, I’m a bit “huh” about her putting on the pajamas and taking a picture but I mostly find it harmless. My daughter would get a giggle out of me wearing her clothes and think nothing more of it than that.  I could see Bryn being the same way—especially considering she was around 4 when this picture was taken. I can’t help but wonder if some of the backlash is influenced by the skinny shaming that gets thrown B’s way a lot. 

• Love 13
29 minutes ago, diadochokinesis said:

I used to laugh because my brother would cover his daughter’s eyes when he would take her into the men’s room from about the age of 3 until however old she was when she went in by herself.  My husband hasn’t encountered this yet because our 6 year old just runs in by herself and he will stand outside.

I’m the weirdo that doesn’t really see an issue with the pajamas post from B but I’m a little bit more “Meh” with stuff unless it puts a child in danger.  Like, I’m a bit “huh” about her putting on the pajamas and taking a picture but I mostly find it harmless. My daughter would get a giggle out of me wearing her clothes and think nothing more of it than that.  I could see Bryn being the same way—especially considering she was around 4 when this picture was taken. I can’t help but wonder if some of the backlash is influenced by the skinny shaming that gets thrown B’s way a lot. 

Any room at the weirdo table for me? I didn't get the federal case of it either. Kinda dumb, meh, whatever. Definitely don't see it as the cause of body dysmorphia or eating disorders. 

• Love 11
34 minutes ago, diadochokinesis said:

Like, I’m a bit “huh” about her putting on the pajamas and taking a picture but I mostly find it harmless. My daughter would get a giggle out of me wearing her clothes and think nothing more of it than that.  I could see Bryn being the same way—especially considering she was around 4 when this picture was taken.

Oh, I get that. My only issue with the picture was that she put it on social media. It was a bit odd and seemed like she wanted people to know that she could fit into a 4 year old's pajamas.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, AnnA said:

I haven't seen "family bathrooms" anywhere I've been.  Some places do have individual bathrooms but not rest stops on the NJ or PA turnpike.   I wouldn't send an 8 year old girl into a ladies room by herself.

Actually, every toll road in NJ, which includes the NJ Turnpike and Garden State Parkway has a family restroom. 

http://www.answers.com/Q/Where_are_the_Family_Restrooms_on_NJ_Turnpike_and_Garden_State_Parkway

I've traveled in NJ, PA as well as other states and I've never had a problem with male and female children.  You work it out.  What if Bryn was a boy traveling with Beth? 

• Love 15
9 hours ago, diadochokinesis said:

I know a single dad with two daughters.  He would go to the hostess etc and tell them he needed the ladies room cleared so he could take his daughter to the rest room.  No one ever said no.  He also said there is a age where sleep overs were 2 friends or no friends.  But he said as they got older and the parents of their friends actually knew him that it got more like any other house.  He worked hard at that by always volunteering to be the meet up house for camp bus etc. So all the parents would be in his house with all the kids etc.  But he would tell you it’s something you have to consider and as the dad of two little girls he would consider that as well when his girls did sleep overs or a car ride to a cabin etc.

• Love 11
9 hours ago, Jel said:

Any room at the weirdo table for me? I didn't get the federal case of it either. Kinda dumb, meh, whatever. Definitely don't see it as the cause of body dysmorphia or eating disorders. 

There is always room at my weirdo table!  LOL.  

9 hours ago, Rosiejuliemom said:

Oh, I get that. My only issue with the picture was that she put it on social media. It was a bit odd and seemed like she wanted people to know that she could fit into a 4 year old's pajamas.

Dude, those pajamas are super stretchy. I could have probably fit into my daughter’s except for the seams at the armholes which would make it a bit tight and uncomfortable. Plus, I think it was a nightgown that she was basically wearing as a tight shirt. Those nightgowns are usually cut large. I think sometimes people see more into posts than what they actually are (and this isn’t just with B but just in general). Sometimes people post things just because they like it or think it is funny in the moment.  It doesn’t always have a deeper meaning. 

1 hour ago, QuinnM said:

I know a single dad with two daughters.  He would go to the hostess etc and tell them he needed the ladies room cleared so he could take his daughter to the rest room.  No one ever said no.  He also said there is a age where sleep overs were 2 friends or no friends.  But he said as they got older and the parents of their friends actually knew him that it got more like any other house.  He worked hard at that by always volunteering to be the meet up house for camp bus etc. So all the parents would be in his house with all the kids etc.  But he would tell you it’s something you have to consider and as the dad of two little girls he would consider that as well when his girls did sleep overs or a car ride to a cabin etc.

Oh, the sleepover issue...  I think if I knew the single dad, I would be fine with my daughter doing a sleepover. Especially if it was several girls. Plus, let’s face it, women can mess with children just as easily. I had a friend in college whose mom would take her into bars and allow other men to mess with her daughter.  

• Love 6
15 hours ago, AnnA said:

What does a widower do?  

• Love 5
4 hours ago, diadochokinesis said:

Dude, those pajamas are super stretchy. I could have probably fit into my daughter’s except for the seams at the armholes which would make it a bit tight and uncomfortable. Plus, I think it was a nightgown that she was basically wearing as a tight shirt. Those nightgowns are usually cut large. I think sometimes people see more into posts than what they actually are (and this isn’t just with B but just in general). Sometimes people post things just because they like it or think it is funny in the moment.  It doesn’t always have a deeper meaning. 

I totally get it. My 10 year old and I can swap some of our shirts.

Maybe I am reading too much into it, but I just found it a bit odd. It wasn't the fact that she was wearing Bryn's jimjams, it was that she felt the need (or the impulse) to take or have a picture taken of her wearing them and then post it on social media for the entire world to see.

I didn't find it very funny.

Plus, her bolt-ons probably stretched that top out so bad that it never fit Bryn right after that.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, hottesthw said:

Let's turn the tables a bit. Jason's on again -off again, married ex girlfriend od's and dies.  Jason wants Brynn on one of Bethenny's days so he can share the news with her. And Bethenny whole-heartedly agrees and gives up her day to appease her emotional ex husband.???

Yea, ok, I couldn't even type that with a straight face.

The difference here would be that if B got wind of Jason's GF doing/did drugs of any kind around her daughter she would have hired 12 more lawyers to keep Brynn away from her father. Kinda like Jason tried to do.

Put a 'SHE' in the meme text, lol - 

morgan freeman meme  he's right you know.jpg

• Love 2
18 hours ago, AnnA said:

That is not true . There are family bathrooms all up and down the NJ turnpike. But even if there weren't, she would go in the men's room with her dad. Big deal ! What's next, Jason can't have custody because Brynn is a girl and will get her period one day? And Jason can't possibly read "Are you there God, it's me Margert" to figure out what to do?

• Love 17
12 minutes ago, hottesthw said:

What's next, Jason can't have custody because Brynn is a girl and will get her period one day?

Two weeks ago my boyfriend’s granddaughter visited with her Dad. She is at that age where it could happen anytime. Her mother sent a kit for her ex..in case. It had a cigarette (yes, he smokes but never in the house or car with his child) and airplane sized bottle of booze and a pad. It included a note telling him to relax, hand his daughter the pad! And have a drink while she went to the bathroom to take care of things. (The Mom had the discussion with her already)  We all actually got a laugh about the kit. 

• Love 17
19 minutes ago, AnnA said:

No

Ok, there are a million ways to deal with a dad and daughter, or mother and son bathroom break.  People have given many examples here.  You can't actually be serious, saying that a father can't have his daughter alone for more than x amount of time because she might have to pee.  

I am a mother of only boys and --- I have actually taken them places far away!  At all ages!  By myself!

• Love 23
46 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

Ok, there are a million ways to deal with a dad and daughter, or mother and son bathroom break.  People have given many examples here.  You can't actually be serious, saying that a father can't have his daughter alone for more than x amount of time because she might have to pee.  

I am a mother of only boys and --- I have actually taken them places far away!  At all ages!  By myself!

I never said "a father couldn't have his daughter alone for more tha x amount of time because she might have to pee."    I asked how he takes her to the bathroom.    I had boys too and taking them into the ladies room was never a problem.  Taking a little girl into a men's room with urinals is a different story.

Edited by AnnA
1 minute ago, AnnA said:

I never said "a father couldn't have his daughter alone for more tha x amount of time because she might have to pee."  

No, you said: When Jason and Bryn drive to PA how does he take her to the bathroom while they're on the road?  That implies that if she had to pee, you don't know of a way that would work.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

No, you said: When Jason and Bryn drive to PA how does he take her to the bathroom while they're on the road?  That implies that if she had to pee, you don't know of a way that would work.

That's right.   I asked how.  I never said he shouldn't take her.  

On 8/22/2018 at 4:28 PM, ladle said:

It's funny because every time they do that on Law & Order, my lawyer husband is like, "They don't do that!!" 

They typically don’t do the stupid stuff in front of the jury or with a court reporter present, but some of the stuff you hear in chambers would curl your hair!  I. Can’t say if this is behavior that’s gotten worse in the last 50 years, but sadly a lot of judges don’t deserve that much respect.  Too many can’t keep their personal biases out of their management of the cases.

i actually exclude the Judge’s comment about B wearing her daughters clothes, IS the custody case was pending at the time.

• Love 2

I travel a ton for work and I see boys in the women's restrooms with their mothers all the time. 

But more than that I see family or unisex restrooms. 

Regardless, rest areas have come a long way since I started working 20 years ago. It's not the Mobil station with a 2x4 attached to a key that goes to a bathroom outside and around the corner. 

And further to that, there are little potties you can carry with you in the car for long trips. My parents had one when my niece and nephews were little. Tell you what there are times when I'm on a long drive and I wish I had one! 

I'm sure Jason has it covered.

Edited by RedDelicious
  • Love 12
5 hours ago, AnnA said:

I never said "a father couldn't have his daughter alone for more tha x amount of time because she might have to pee."    I asked how he takes her to the bathroom.    I had boys too and taking them into the ladies room was never a problem.  Taking a little girl into a men's room with urinals is a different story.

Jason, if you're reading, walk in the men's room ahead of Brynn just in case there are men with their weiners out standing at a urinal. 

Problem solved :)

• Love 9
3 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

I travel a ton for work and I see boys in the women's restrooms with their mothers all the time. 

But more than that I see family or unisex restrooms. 

Regardless, rest areas have come a long way since I started working 20 years ago. It's not the Mobil station with a 2x4 attached to a key that goes to a bathroom outside and around the corner. 

And further to that, there are little potties you can carry with you in the car for long trips. My parents had one when my niece and nephews were little. Tell you what there are times when I'm on a long drive and I wish I had one! 

I'm sure Jason has it covered.

FFS.  A couple weeks ago we were flying out of MKE and they had a family restroom right next to a doggie (service animal relief station) room complete with a turf to piss on.  MENTION IT ALL.  And yet here we are still talking potty options.  Is now a good time to also bring up how awful Jason was for feeding Brynn hot dogs? ?

• Love 13
9 hours ago, geauxaway said:

FFS.  A couple weeks ago we were flying out of MKE and they had a family restroom right next to a doggie (service animal relief station) room complete with a turf to piss on.  MENTION IT ALL.  And yet here we are still talking potty options.  Is now a good time to also bring up how awful Jason was for feeding Brynn hot dogs? ?

Or his parents taking Bryn to a playground on the upper east side? ?  ETA: now I want a hot dog, ketchup and celery salt please!

Edited by RedDelicious
  • Love 6
On 8/22/2018 at 8:14 PM, Jel said:

Room for me at this weirdo table?

• Love 5
14 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

Or his parents taking Bryn to a playground on the upper east side? ?  ETA: now I want a hot dog, ketchup and celery salt please!

We put mustard on hotdogs in New York.  LOL

Ketchup is for hamburgers.   

• Love 4
15 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

Dang you should be here.  Friday night is dog and Mac night in our house. Johnsonville Cheddars with ketchup.  Because that’s how cheeseheads roll, yo!  ❤️

• Love 4
On 8/24/2018 at 10:39 PM, AnnA said:

We put mustard on hotdogs in New York.  LOL

I like  Greek Coney Island hot dogs:

download.jpg.97a64a7d71e883f78cd8fde7916459ad.jpgBeing 1/2 Greek...I think it's required

Does anyone listen to aj benza's podcast?  I think he just declared war w B and her camp. Last week he shared a "major scoop" that B's condo was searched (reason a bit murky but he claims Dennis had scripts with Bethenny's name...).  So during the search a number of envelopes w white powder were found.  These findings were given to the judge and AJ went so far as to say its hurting her custody fight.   So I'm listening and fanning myself expecting him to retract alllll the way back, not the case.  The latest episode is all about him being greeted the next morning w reps of lawyersfor B telling him to shut up.  He's doubling down and defending his sources on this story.  

Sorry if this was discussed, I'm slacking on my lurking but thought this was tres juicy!

Edited by Inspectabecky
  • Love 15