Type keyword(s) to search

SYTYCD in the Media

• Start Topic

On 15/01/2019 at 1:37 AM, Aethera said:

I am going to take credit for this, it came right after I put my question out into the universe.

On 15/01/2019 at 1:55 AM, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

Here's hoping we get a format that leans more classic than experimental for this go round...

And a good cast. I remembered no one from last time until I read that article.

Edited by displayname
  • Love 2

Shakeup at the judges' table. The good news is, Vanessa is out. The bad news is, so is tWitch. 😞

Replacing them are LaurieAnn Gibson and Dominic "D-Trix" Sandoval. (S3, Top Eight)

Edited by LexieLily
On 3/30/2019 at 1:18 PM, LexieLily said:

Shakeup at the judges' table. The good news is, Vanessa is out. The bad news is, so is tWitch. 😞

Replacing them are LaurieAnn Gibson and Dominic "D-Trix" Sandoval. (S3, Top Eight)

wai

Couldn't stand the way Vanessa expressed herself and thought she could have done much better given her experience and training.  I will absolutely miss Twitch and the thoughtful, real criticism he gave the dancers when they needed something to grab onto and learn how to move forward.

Dread LaurieAnn.  I've seen Dominic give feedback before and he's quite capable -- as long as he's not allowed to run too far astray.  If his comedic sense is reigned in enough to allow everyone to have fun and yet not run amuck he could be great on the panel.  Really dreading LaurieAnn.   Find her obnoxiously abrasive and don't really love her choreo all that often either.

• Love 2

I'm glad to be rid of Vanessa, not so much tWitch who always seemed to have the compassion of a former contestant to me.  I don't really like Dominic very much - never saw good explanations for his tour behaviour and etc. although I agree that he is capable of doing a good job of this.

• Love 1
On 4/18/2019 at 8:35 AM, crowceilidh said:

I'm glad to be rid of Vanessa, not so much tWitch who always seemed to have the compassion of a former contestant to me.  I don't really like Dominic very much - never saw good explanations for his tour behaviour and etc. although I agree that he is capable of doing a good job of this.

What happened at the tour?  Dominic seemed immature but that was a long time ago so I'm sure he's changed.  Won't miss Vanessa but I liked Twitch.  LaurieAnn seems abrasive.  I think the only choregraphy that I liked from her on the show was the one with Jeannine and Brandon.  I wish it was Debbie Allen instead.

• Love 1

He was accused of some homophobic acts (I remember posters of some type with stick drawings on them, but it's guhzonks ago and I was shocked but uncaring, so I didn't follow it that closely).  I remember discussions about bullying and Lacey's potential reaction and a lot of cultural back and forths about the dance world, different parts of it and homo-sexuality/phobia.  I saw the stuff and was reasonably appalled, but who knows what changes he's made real or otherwise, or what was really going on?  Not me.

• Love 1
On 4/26/2019 at 5:48 PM, crowceilidh said:

He was accused of some homophobic acts (I remember posters of some type with stick drawings on them, but it's guhzonks ago and I was shocked but uncaring, so I didn't follow it that closely).  I remember discussions about bullying and Lacey's potential reaction and a lot of cultural back and forths about the dance world, different parts of it and homo-sexuality/phobia.  I saw the stuff and was reasonably appalled, but who knows what changes he's made real or otherwise, or what was really going on?  Not me.

Ugh.  I hope he has grown up a lot since that was over 10 years ago.  I remember there were stories of Lacey accusing Lauren of being a mean girl/bullying.  I also hope that was because all of them were 18 and still immature.

• Love 1
On 5/19/2019 at 3:12 AM, displayname said:

Lol I didn't even keep track of when the premiere would be. Good to know it's soon!

This is why I love previously/primetimer.  I can always count on the community to keep me up on important info.  Thank you @pally for the premiere date.  ❤️

• Love 4
On 5/18/2019 at 6:46 AM, pally said:

The premiere has been bumped up a week  Show now returns Monday June 3

Thanks for the update @pally. I programmed it in my pvr and a heads up that my guide has it starting at 9 pm, not 8 (which is great for me, as I get home from dance class at 9). 

On 5/18/2019 at 7:46 AM, pally said:

The premiere has been bumped up a week  Show now returns Monday June 3

Thanks for this info.  I'm glad they bumped it up.  My DVR would have recorded it anyway but I'm still happy that we get to watch it soon.

I guess I'm glad.  I don't actually remember anybody at all from last season except the judging panel.  I could do without the return of Laurieann Gibson and I've never been all that happy with Dom, although he didn't do a terrible job.

• Love 1

I have been keeping up with the kids since show ended esp. Mariah and Bailey, the were my favs from the previous season. I thought they were dating but come to find out Mariah is gay, she came out wiht her girlfriend yesterday. I was shock but good for her. Yeah I thought she was with Bailey because they were spending alot of time together on tour and hugging and stuff and Ezra even said they were on his live, so Im confused, LOL.

So far Dominic is the face of the budget cuts that I'm sure were necessary to bring the show back.  I don't dislike him personally, but can't say I'll miss him much considering they didn't give him the latitude to say very much anyway.  That's the real shame, because I do think he could have given some good feedback if given the freedom.   

16 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

So far Dominic is the face of the budget cuts that I'm sure were necessary to bring the show back.  I don't dislike him personally, but can't say I'll miss him much considering they didn't give him the latitude to say very much anyway.  That's the real shame, because I do think he could have given some good feedback if given the freedom.   

Has there been some sort of press release?

JFM&J! What is wrong with these people that they thought LAG was a better judge than Dom?!  she sucks the air outta the room.  I can't bear her.  And it's all so stupid pretending that all that shite isn't scripted anyhow.  Deep frustrated sigh.

• Love 2

After reading that, I'm still confused. Nigel seems to be the only one suggesting the show is permanently cancelled. Wonder if he's just frustrated that any suggestions for preserving Season 17 were ultimately rejected. Definitely sucks for this season's contestants, in any case.

I also wonder if FOX being noncomittal to 2021 is because frankly, nobody knows what the COVID situation is going to look like a year from now, if vaccines or treatments don't pan out by then.

Gotta say that even if it is defo cancelled, I'm not as disappointed as I would have been back when the show hadn't messed itself up into a corner of so-much-less-interesting-because-we-want-you-to-believe-the-judges are-what's-interesting-about-the-show (just so long of course as they are judges we picked for non-controversialness and ability to stick to our "reality" script and their talent for hollering and crying).  This was once the greatest reality show.  Now? pppppp.

• Love 2
On 6/20/2020 at 1:43 PM, crowceilidh said:

Gotta say that even if it is defo cancelled, I'm not as disappointed as I would have been back when the show hadn't messed itself up into a corner of so-much-less-interesting-because-we-want-you-to-believe-the-judges are-what's-interesting-about-the-show (just so long of course as they are judges we picked for non-controversialness and ability to stick to our "reality" script and their talent for hollering and crying).  This was once the greatest reality show.  Now? pppppp.

I don't love the show as much as I used to.  But I still look forward to it every summer.  I miss it especially since the dancers on WOD are not that interesting this year.

• Love 4

I miss the show SYTYCD BUT when I think of how great it was and how not-great it is, it's hard to get particularly upset about the current style show being gone.

I certainly can't even tolerate WOD which is pretty much ALL about the judges and very little about the dancers.  I loathe its host; I loathe its set; I loathe its pace; I loathe its scripted crap.

• Love 3
On 6/19/2020 at 12:39 AM, crowceilidh said:

This seems to be a clear cancellation NOT as suggested in the article above:

https://www.dancedishwithkb.com/post/so-you-think-you-can-dance-canceled

I think that's misinformation. Every article I've come across from the media has reported it as a cancelation for this current season due to the impact of COVID-19, with the possibility of return next year at FOX's discretion.

An article featuring Mary Murphy yesterday stated the same: https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/columnists/story/2020-06-26/column-there-is-no-dancing-around-covid-restraints

I loathe its host.

Oops, haven't watched in a long time and what with Twitch guest judging this week, I gave it another try.  I loathe its OLD host (Jenna Dewan).  New host seems fine, although I'd have to see the show more often to know if that's true.

1 hour ago, crowceilidh said:

Oops, haven't watched in a long time and what with Twitch guest judging this week, I gave it another try.  I loathe its OLD host (Jenna Dewan).  New host seems fine, although I'd have to see the show more often to know if that's true.

Oh no! I missed that you were talking about the WOD host. I thought you were dissing Cat! I don't find the WOD host interesting in any way.

6 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Another Emmy Award!

OUTSTANDING CHOREOGRAPHY FOR VARIETY OR REALITY PROGRAMMING
Al Blackstone
Routines: I’ll Be Seeing You, Mambo Italiano, The Girl From Ipanema

Yay!!  Congratulations Al Blackstone.  I know that SYTYCD is not as good as its glory days.  But I still missed it this summer since I've been watching since Season 1.  I was afraid that if WOD started winning all the choreography awards, Fox would finally cancel SYTYCD.  Hoping it comes back next year.

• Love 3