Type keyword(s) to search

SYTYCD in the Media

• Start Topic

On 3/3/2022 at 8:23 PM, DanaK said:

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

I didn't like everything Nigel did, but I do feel a bit sad, because he clearly cared about the show and loved dance. I hope whoever does replace him also cares about it (while making sure they're not as biased and pervy lol).

Edited by displayname
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, displayname said:

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

I didn't like everything Nigel did, but I do feel a bit sad, because he clearly cared about the show and loved dance. I hope whoever does replace him also cares about it (while making sure they're not as biased and pervy lol).

Yes, I think Nigel really cared about the show and dance.  I would rather have him be the judge than somebody like Vanessa who didn't give useful critiques. 

• Love 5

Is this judging panel some kind of joke?  I mean seriously?  Twitch is OK but Matthew Morrison, while a Broadway star is not a dancer and JoJo is still a kid. How are any of these folks going to critique the ballroom numbers?  This looks like yet another attempt by the show runners (and perhaps the suits at Fox) to capture a segment of the audience that pretty much abandoned the show at one point.  The show's continuously sinking ratings were a testament to this.  These gimmicks didn't work in the past and I don't think that they'll work this time.  While I'm thrilled to see the show and continues to launch the professional careers of many dancers, this panel is a major disappointment.

• Love 10
11 minutes ago, cali1981 said:

Is this judging panel some kind of joke?  I mean seriously?  Twitch is OK but Matthew Morrison, while a Broadway star is not a dancer and JoJo is still a kid. How are any of these folks going to critique the ballroom numbers?  This looks like yet another attempt by the show runners (and perhaps the suits at Fox) to capture a segment of the audience that pretty much abandoned the show at one point.  The show's continuously sinking ratings were a testament to this.  These gimmicks didn't work in the past and I don't think that they'll work this time.  While I'm thrilled to see the show and continues to launch the professional careers of many dancers, this panel is a major disappointment.

Glad Cat is back. Yup, I think they want to attract a younger audience.  I was hoping that if Mary wasn't coming back that they could get Derek Hough to judge the ballroom numbers.  But he probably has a contract with ABC or NBC.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, cali1981 said:

I love that Cat is back and tWitch was always a favorite of mine, but does Matthew Morrison have any connection to dance aside from being on Glee like ten years ago? Jojo isn't good, either, but she can't be worse than Vanessa Hudgens or Jenna Dewan-Tatum. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, cali1981 said:

Is this judging panel some kind of joke?  I mean seriously?  Twitch is OK but Matthew Morrison, while a Broadway star is not a dancer and JoJo is still a kid. How are any of these folks going to critique the ballroom numbers? 

Not thrilled with the lineup of judges either. I'm guessing producers like the idea of JoJo because she has millions of followers, and she was in the DWTS finale.  As an alum, Twitch is more obvious. I never watched Glee, so I have no idea what they were thinking re: Matthew.

(edited)
15 hours ago, cali1981 said:

I don’t know that much about Morrison, but he has been in several Broadway shows, including musicals, and is a dancer 

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/entertainment/greatest-dancer-matthew-morrison-glee-judge-dance-captain/

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/matthew-morrison-reveals-dancing-saved-13817785

Edited by DanaK
  • Love 1

NIgel Lythgoe's statement about not returning: “I am so thrilled that America’s young aspiring dance talent will get to work with some of our greatest creative choreographers,” he tweeted. “On a personally sad note, I have not been asked to be on the judging panel this season. I don’t know who will be saying “Cue Music” but I wish them well.”
He will remain as one of the show's Executive Producers

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Koalagirl said:

Robert Roldan fans - he’s appearing as one of the dance coaches on the new weekly dance competition called Come Dance With Me.  Friday nights on CBS. 

Thanks for posting.  I haven't heard of this show and will check it out.

On 4/6/2022 at 7:15 PM, cali1981 said:

NIgel Lythgoe's statement about not returning: “I am so thrilled that America’s young aspiring dance talent will get to work with some of our greatest creative choreographers,” he tweeted. “On a personally sad note, I have not been asked to be on the judging panel this season. I don’t know who will be saying “Cue Music” but I wish them well.”
He will remain as one of the show's Executive Producers

No doubt that’s going to be awkward. I still don’t understand how he could be not invited back as a judge and not know who are going to be the judges when he’s one of the executive producers and creator of the show

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, DanaK said:

No doubt that’s going to be awkward. I still don’t understand how he could be not invited back as a judge and not know who are going to be the judges when he’s one of the executive producers and creator of the show

That was probably the trade off.  He will continue to be billed (and paid) as EP but will have no control regarding the show.

• Love 1
On 4/16/2022 at 3:53 PM, Koalagirl said:

Robert Roldan fans - he’s appearing as one of the dance coaches on the new weekly dance competition called Come Dance With Me.  Friday nights on CBS. 

Thanks for posting. Just set my DVR to record. Will watch season 1, episode 1 ON DEMAND.

• Love 1

I was totally unaware SYTYCD was coming back. The recording showed up on my DVR today and I was shocked to see it there. Thank goodness I did not delete the show from recording on my DVR. I guess I always had hoped in the back of my mind that this show will be back. All I can say is yesssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not the target audience as I'm old and I am very saddened to see Nigel will not be back on the judge's panel. Agree with others that there is no representation for Ballroom Dancing expertise. I want Mary back too.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 4/16/2022 at 3:53 PM, Koalagirl said:

I just watched the first show on demand and I'm interested. I like it. I looked for a discussion forum on Primetimer but I don't see it. Is there a Primetimer forum for Come Dance With Me?

EDIT: Never mind. Found it.

Edited by luvthepros
13 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Weird lol. What did he do?

Since he says he can’t judge fairly, my assumption is that he had some interaction with one of the contestants which could make him appear biased during judging. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

Since he says he can’t judge fairly, my assumption is that he had some interaction with one of the contestants which could make him appear biased during judging. 

That's what I was thinking when I read the article.

Before I finished reading the article and read about production protocol, I thought he broke some Covid rule or something but after his statement, I agree with what you wrote above.

• Love 5

I strongly suspect this is a face-saving story.  He never came across as cool in a dance way or knowledgeable - esp against JoJo's teen hollering and Twitch's coolness, cred and empathy.  I suspect they turfed him because he wasn't enough. I feel badly for him as he seemed to be trying to give good advice and not to make it all about him.  I'm glad they made up a story to cover it because he doesn't deserve to be tarred by the show.  I really hope their next choice is more watch-able

• Useful 1
56 minutes ago, crowceilidh said:

I strongly suspect this is a face-saving story.  He never came across as cool in a dance way or knowledgeable - esp against JoJo's teen hollering and Twitch's coolness, cred and empathy.  I suspect they turfed him because he wasn't enough. I feel badly for him as he seemed to be trying to give good advice and not to make it all about him.  I'm glad they made up a story to cover it because he doesn't deserve to be tarred by the show.  I really hope their next choice is more watch-able

You really think the reason he announced is somehow better than that he’s not cutting it? This will tar him for sure

• Love 5
(edited)
7 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Weird lol. What did he do?

From the language, my mind definitely went to a relationship with a contestant. Maybe even one that had already been eliminated but I suspect there are strict rules about that.  And if he already broke them, they were looking at trouble the longer he was a part of the show.

He was always known as someone who got around.

5 hours ago, crowceilidh said:

I strongly suspect this is a face-saving story. 

A "face-saving" story would have been both sides agreeing to say that he stepped away from the show for unexpected personal reasons.

But this is both sides saying that he was fired.  Nothing is going to invite more speculation than saying that but not giving many details.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Useful 3
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

A "face-saving" story would have been both sides agreeing to say that he stepped away from the show for unexpected personal reasons.

Yeah, the statement was too cryptic for me. 

I don't want Nigel back though. He can remain the EP without perving all over the young girls. I don't mind Jojo, but I do fast-forward through the judges comments for the most part. I get a strong young Miley Cyrus vibe from her. 

I did not even know the show was back until last week, but when I saw it was back, it added it to the ye old DVR. And some of the auditions reminded me of when the show first started (the staging, primarily). But the focus on life stories is too much. I want to see dancing, not This is us reels. 

• Love 6
On 5/27/2022 at 6:19 PM, crowceilidh said:

I strongly suspect this is a face-saving story.  He never came across as cool in a dance way or knowledgeable - esp against JoJo's teen hollering and Twitch's coolness, cred and empathy.  I suspect they turfed him because he wasn't enough. 

I agree that he wasn't enough, but I don't think that's why he had to leave. If uselessness of judging were criteria for removal, Vanessa Hudgens wouldn't have made it halfway through her first episode.

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Iseut said:

I agree that he wasn't enough, but I don't think that's why he had to leave. If uselessness of judging were criteria for removal, Vanessa Hudgens wouldn't have made it halfway through her first episode.

Agree. If this was the case, they would have made up something face saving, not borderline unsavoury. 

(edited)
11 hours ago, Koalagirl said:

So he was in a position of authority / influence over these contestants, how did he expect the contestant to react? Go along in hopes of positive comments from him? And he couldn't have waited 3 months for the season to be over at least so there would be no conflict of interest? He may have thought his flirting was harmless, but this is how these things happen. It's disappointing but hopefully he is learning a valuable lesson.

At the tender age of 43. 

ETA: I didn't know he is married. Gross.

Edited by A.Ham
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
(edited)
15 minutes ago, A.Ham said:

So he was in a position of authority / influence over these contestants, how did he expect the contestant to react? Go along in hopes of positive comments from him? And he couldn't have waited 3 months for the season to be over at least so there would be no conflict of interest? He may have thought his flirting was harmless, but this is how these things happen. It's disappointing but hopefully he is learning a valuable lesson.

At the tender age of 43. 

I’d like to know how old the contestant is.   Max age is 30, but most are usually early 20s which would be young enough to be his daughter.  

And I’m guessing he will be edited out as much as possible.

Edited by DEL901
  • Love 1
(edited)

If the producers thought the messages were egregious enough to fire him, there can be little room for claiming it was a misunderstanding.  How stupid!  (Of course he shouldn't have been communicating with anyone competing on the show by any means.)

Edited by Haleth
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

If the producers thought the messages were egregious enough to fire him, there can be little room for claiming it was a misunderstanding.  How stupid!  (Of course he shouldn't have been communicating with anyone competing on the show by any means.)

Agree.  Unless it is a mass “good luck everyone “ email, any kind of communication is not appropriate due to potential bias, let alone “flirty” messages from an older and married man.   Yuck. 

• Love 7
13 hours ago, DEL901 said:

And I’m guessing he will be edited out as much as possible.

I hope so, because otherwise there's going to be undue scrutiny of every single female contestant's interactions with him.  We know how people are; there's going to be a lot of "Is it her?  Is it her?  Oh, I bet it's that one..." I suppose it's naive to hope that the identity of the contestant isn't revealed, but if it is, I do hope that in this post-Me Too world she is treated with dignity and commended for doing the right thing.  HE's the one who did something wrong and got himself fired; SHE should not be put under a microscope as a result.  

• Love 6