Type keyword(s) to search

SYTYCD in the Media

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, spanana said:

Here is her instagram post, so you can probably figure it out from that.  I think it might have been the week before Mark went home?  From what I can tell she's been trying her hand at acting and she's done some bit parts on things like New Girl and Rosewood and she seems to be filming something now.

Thanks for sharing that. I'm not sure I would recognize her even if she was shown (in passing) on the show.

WOW!

• Love 1

On the AfterBuzz interview, Mary Murphy revealed some of her thoughts to Becky Sattero.  Mary said none of them were surprised that Lex won because he was such a high level technical dancer, never hit bottom and could do some things that they hadn't seen before.  Then she said something that got me thinking.  She said they were worried about his personality.  I guess that's why they kept pushing him down our throats.  Always "washing over" his faults.  They felt he was the best and they wanted to make sure he won.  I guess they learned their lesson from Danny, S3.  But they went too far.  I think Lex would've won without their manipulation because he had such a large fanbase.  But we'll never know.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, crossover said:

On the AfterBuzz interview, Mary Murphy revealed some of her thoughts to Becky Sattero.  Mary said none of them were surprised that Lex won because he was such a high level technical dancer, never hit bottom and could do some things that they hadn't seen before.  Then she said something that got me thinking.  She said they were worried about his personality.  I guess that's why they kept pushing him down our throats.  Always "washing over" his faults.  They felt he was the best and they wanted to make sure he won.  I guess they learned their lesson from Danny, S3.  But they went too far.  I think Lex would've won without their manipulation because he had such a large fanbase.  But we'll never know.

Having met Danny I can tell you I found his offstage personality a real turnoff.

1 hour ago, Tikichick said:

Having met Danny I can tell you I found his offstage personality a real turnoff.

The judges started off knocking Danny about not being able to relate and the like.  I guess they felt the audience would still see how good he was and vote for him.  After the third performance, they believed them.   Nigel just kept saving him and acted like he didn't know what Danny was doing wrong.  Then Nigel went overboard the other way.  So Danny didn't hit bottom again after T10.  He didn't win because Nigel let everyone know about a girl winner.  I haven't seen Nigel down a favorite like that since.  He uses the OTT praise.  I guess they don't want to run the risk of them hitting bottom.  That's what I meant when I said they learned their lesson.  I was referring to the stage persona.

15 minutes ago, crossover said:

The judges started off knocking Danny about not being able to relate and the like.  I guess they felt the audience would still see how good he was and vote for him.  After the third performance, they believed them.   Nigel just kept saving him and acted like he didn't know what Danny was doing wrong.  Then Nigel went overboard the other way.  So Danny didn't hit bottom again after T10.  He didn't win because Nigel let everyone know about a girl winner.  I haven't seen Nigel down a favorite like that since.  He uses the OTT praise.  I guess they don't want to run the risk of them hitting bottom.  That's what I meant when I said they learned their lesson.  I was referring to the stage persona.

I know you meant onstage, and I remember watching it all at the time.  Having a daughter learning the rope in dance training for over a decade meant I saw, interacted and directly observed many of the people we've seen on the show over the years.  I've seen the arrogant artiste attitude rise up a time or three -- but I've always seen the flip side show itself in every case but one.  Interestingly enough he happens to be one of the smaller handful of SYTYCD alum who I got to see and hear an awful lot about on a more intimate scale because they taught master classes at the home studio my daughter danced at.  He was particularly anticipated by my daughter because ballet was her first love.  He remains the sole letdown of all of the alum, whether it be dance convention teaching, dance convention assisting before they even made the show or smaller master classes.  After the fact I heard that he had left several dance companies on sour notes due to his attitude.  Hopefully he matured and grew a better affinity with others.

Thanks Tikichick.  I wish him the best as well.  I knew he must've been a troubled young man when Denise? (the mother) said Danny wanted to do the show because of how he perceived Travis' journey.  Not because he wanted the challenged.

17 hours ago, Anothermi said:

Yes it was a good interview. I wish Lex's mike was a bit louder. I had to struggle to hear his answers.

I also saw Lex being interviewed by the After BuzzTV crew. Same problem. Lex just speaks very softly: as if he isn't sure of himself and is very reserved. I also wish the sound people would have recognized this and made Lex's mike louder for both shows.

• Love 1

My word,  Koine posted a snippet of a piece she was doing with Lex.  What a treat if they put this on the tour. I can see why Koine never got a meaty hip hop, she'd blow everyone away. This hip hop contemporary fusion it looks AMAZING. Wow.  A most deserving top 2.

Edited by Andie1
  • Love 7
19 hours ago, Andie1 said:

I can see why Koine never got a meaty hip hop, she'd blow everyone away.

Because they simpy had to do a Disco together!

I specially like the way they positioned the camera (not sure how much thought was put into that) and that Lex is behind Koine. It accounts for the height disparity, and makes it look even better.

Edited by fan94
  • Love 1
On 10/1/2017 at 2:24 AM, Andie1 said:

My word,  Koine posted a snippet of a piece she was doing with Lex.  What a treat if they put this on the tour. I can see why Koine never got a meaty hip hop, she'd blow everyone away.

I noticed in the group hip-hop that NappyTabs choreographed, Koine was killing it!!  The show didn't want to highlight it but I noticed.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, realdancemom said:

I noticed in the group hip-hop that NappyTabs choreographed, Koine was killing it!!  The show didn't want to highlight it but I noticed.

Didn't Koine also have a little pop&lock duo with Dassy in the  Top 9 group routines?  It was enough to tell she was comfortable with hip hop..

3 hours ago, crossover said:

Didn't Koine also have a little pop&lock duo with Dassy in the  Top 9 group routines?  It was enough to tell she was comfortable with hip hop..

She did she was, and it pretty much exposed Dassy who was struggling to keep up for the rest of the dance after the duo. 8 bars of hip hop here and there isn't a full routine tho.  It would have been great if she did the BoDak Yellow with Marko instead of that sort of embarrassing turn by Taylor and Robert.

Edited by Andie1
On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 1:24 AM, Andie1 said:

My word,  Koine posted a snippet of a piece she was doing with Lex.  What a treat if they put this on the tour. I can see why Koine never got a meaty hip hop, she'd blow everyone away. This hip hop contemporary fusion it looks AMAZING. Wow.  A most deserving top 2.

Holy smokes, that is beautiful!  If ever Mary's title of Hot Tamale Train should be used, it would be for this pairing.  It's enough to make me want to see the tour if it was coming anywhere near me, which it isn't, so I won't, but I would if I could.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Lex & Koine discuss SYTYCD on Build:

Thanks for posting that.  It's clear that Lex is not comfortable being the centerof attention. Koine was a lot more relaxed answering questions, but it seems to me she also provided safety for Lex by responding 1st.  They really seemed to be the great friends they said they were.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Anothermi said:

Thanks for posting that.  It's clear that Lex is not comfortable being the centerof attention. Koine was a lot more relaxed answering questions, but it seems to me she also provided safety for Lex by responding 1st.  They really seemed to be the great friends they said they were.

I love that they are the top two.  Actually, it seems that all the contestants get along.  Lex is shy and humble.  Koine has a very friendly personality.  So they balance each other well in interviews.

• Love 1
On 10/17/2017 at 2:37 PM, realdancemom said:

Yes, thank you.  Great interview.

It was great! thank you Electric Boogaloo!  How cute were they?  Koine is certainly a poised young lady, and Lex is one of those sweet kids who lets his dancing talk for him.   Anyway Val Chmerkovskiy should be pleased she said such kind words about him, and she, of all the contestants this season would absolutely be stellar as a ballroom dancer. 

Edited by Andie1
  • Love 1

Great news. Once the team auditions were done (can we not have that again?), last season really took off with some great dancing.  It was a good rebound from some less than stellar seasons that preceded it.

• Love 1

The official announcement So You Think You Can Dance Renewed for Season 15 at Fox.

I'm really happy.

Nigel Lythgoe, Mary Murphy and Vanessa Hudgens will return as judges, and Cat Deely will be back as host.

I guess they thought Vanessa Hudgens brought something to the show.

Like last season, dancers who wow the judges during auditions will earn a spot at The Academy callback rounds in Los Angeles. Those who pass that round will then go on to compete live each week for America’s votes, with dancers eliminated each week until the winner is crowned.

Maybe they will use the same format as last season, but it's not spelled out?

Anyway, we're back!

• Love 4

Somewhere I read it'll be a top 20.  All-Stars will NOT be choosing finalists but will return later (guessing they'll join top 10).  There will be one hour and two hour live shows.

Subject to change without notice. Void where prohibited. Non-sectarian. Not for profit.

• Love 3
On 3/10/2018 at 11:05 PM, ketchuplover said:

Somewhere I read it'll be a top 20.  All-Stars will NOT be choosing finalists but will return later (guessing they'll join top 10).  There will be one hour and two hour live shows.

Subject to change without notice. Void where prohibited. Non-sectarian. Not for profit.

I like that it's top 20 and the all stars don't come in until top 10.  Can do without Vanessa but I'm much older than the target demo.

• Love 2

I'm glad it's back. I'm secretly hoping that they do a radical revamp and it's more like these videos. Uninterrupted dancing, shot in a way that makes sense and is engaging enough, in my opinion, to not need things like audience noises or judge reaction shots to help viewers engage. Plus the back-to-back switching of dancers feels...like a more meaningful, intense competition, even though that's not the intent. 

Thanks for posting this @Percysowner.  I'm torn on this snippet. I don't trust Fox to have good intentions of any kind - even if everyone else on the show has - and wonder if this teaser is trying to be pro-diversity or tune-in-to-look-at-the-freaks". Gah! (I choose to take it as pro-diversity, but highly doubt any of the three showcased will make the top 20.)

Horrible, insipid, manipulative trailer. A ploy for a show breathing its dying breaths. At least, that's exactly what it will appear to be to many.

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to praise SYTYCD for finally "recognizing" diversity, when, for instance, it has barely ever acknowledged the sexuality of its contestants, and keeps having its choreographers choreograph angst-ridden love stories about a man and a woman. Maybe promote diversity more there first, instead of using three diverse contestants' lives to promote your show.

• Love 3
On 5/12/2018 at 5:55 AM, displayname said:

Horrible, insipid, manipulative trailer. A ploy for a show breathing its dying breaths. At least, that's exactly what it will appear to be to many.

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to praise SYTYCD for finally "recognizing" diversity, when, for instance, it has barely ever acknowledged the sexuality of its contestants, and keeps having its choreographers choreograph angst-ridden love stories about a man and a woman. Maybe promote diversity more there first, instead of using three diverse contestants' lives to promote your show.

The show has been on its dying breath for over 5 years now.  I think this is a ploy to try to get people to watch the auditions.  If you get invested in the auditions, you're more apt to invest in the competition.  There are lots of people who don't bother with auditions.  I also doubt that any of these people make the show.  They don't fit the "cookie cutter".  The show is not as bad, but kind of like how the gay actors back in the day had to fake being straight.  Women wanted to dream of being with Rock and the gay guys as well. 

I get tired of all the angst ridden love stories as well.  But those are the ones that get the most votes.  People appreciate the non-angst routines but they don't vote for them.  When the show gives one of their favorites a non-angst routine, I know they have the win in the bag.

Maybe somebody will start a new dance show that will be transparent on sexuality.  JLo started her version and I THINK it got better ratings than SYTYCD?  But the average SYTYCD viewers don't want a spotlight on race, ethnicity, sexuality, etc.  If you look like a man, you should dance the male part in the duet.  But a new show can show the two men dancing with one being portrayed as physically weaker, if necessary for the routine.  Or, it can show the female as the physically strong one.  It can let everyone know who's gay, straight or had an operation.  Everything could be in the open.

(edited)

Is this SYTYCD special snowflake edition?

This trailer is rich, coming from a show with a long history of forcing its contestants, choreographers and other associates into the proverbial closet.

Edited by Rahul

I never noticed anything outright homophobic on this show.  We've had man/man duets, hundreds of openly gay dancers, etc.   I recall I first watched in 2010 and Travis Wall did an 'audition' in drag, for fun.  I do recall Nigel telling some guys they didn't dance manly enough, though.  That always sounds stupid.  

(edited)

The show received 5 Emmy nominations today. The usual 4 choreo noms for Mandy, Travis, Christopher and Al with the Late Show getting the only other nod in the category. No nominations for DTWS or WoD. SYTYCD also nabbed one for lighting this year.  Congratulations! (But no love for Cat this year, sigh.)

Edited by Mertseger
  • Love 4

In case you were wondering which dances were nominated:

Mandy Moore - Brand New, To Make You Feel My Love

Travis Wall - Change Is Everything, Strange Fruit

Al Blackstone - The Man That Got Away, L-O-V-E

Christopher Scott - Prism, Say You Won’t Let Go

• Love 4