Type keyword(s) to search

SYTYCD in the Media

• Start Topic

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 4:35 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Anastasiia & Viktoriia's audition:

Okay, I really enjoyed that!  But, maybe I'm just dense, because I don't understand what the story is, though clearly there is one. 

• Love 1

http://tvline.com/2017/06/09/so-you-think-you-can-dance-premiere-video-season-14-hip-hop-fox/

This linked story has another audition up, a hip-hop dancer named Robert Green. It also makes me nervous, because our new judge Vanessa Hudgens seems to be extremely verbal while the audition is ongoing (lot's of "aye's" and other verbalizations). If that is par for the course for her...it's going to get annoying and exhausting in a hurry. I remember the judges on the SYTYCD Canada version were notorious for that during the audition process, and it made it nearly unwatchable in spots...

Does anyone know what (if any) network is airing this in Canada? I used to watch it online on CTV, but it doesn't seem to be there this year (at least not yet — we seem to be getting a lot of stuff with a week or several delay lately).

4 hours ago, kingshearte said:

Does anyone know what (if any) network is airing this in Canada? I used to watch it online on CTV, but it doesn't seem to be there this year (at least not yet — we seem to be getting a lot of stuff with a week or several delay lately).

No, just FOX. Not even MM in the wee hours. Then again, it was CTV that cancelled SYTYCD Canada.

I guess that takes some of the suspense out of the second round of New York auditions since we just saw everyone who makes it to the next round.

I counted 14 hip hop dancers, 10 jazz (?) guys, 5 female ballet grls, 14 contemporary girls, 8 ballroom couples, 6 tappers, and 9 contemporary guys. I wasn't sure if some of the smaller groups and solos were from other groups (like the ones in the water who were bone breaking and animating) because they got a lot less screen time than the other groups. Heh, I may have counted incorrectly too because of the blocking/formations.

SYTYCD was nominated for three Emmy awards:

** OUTSTANDING CHOREOGRAPHY - Mandy Moore -(Unsteady, This Is Not the End)

OUTSTANDING CHOREOGRAPHY - Travis Wall (The Mirror, Send in the Clowns, She Used to Be Mine)

OUTSTANDING LIGHTING DESIGN/LIGHTING DIRECTION FOR A VARIETY SERIES

** Mandy is also nominated a second time in this category for her work on DWTS (On Top of the World, Carol of the Bells)

• Love 2

I saw Wade Robson's instagram and it announces his return to SYTYCD on August 7th. I don't know how to copy and paste a link on my iPhone so I can't provide the link. Sorry.

Im looking forward to Robson's choreography again on this show. I have no doubt, the team who has Wade will have an advantage over the others.

• Love 4
On 7/30/2017 at 11:01 AM, luvthepros said:

I saw Wade Robson's instagram and it announces his return to SYTYCD on August 7th. I don't know how to copy and paste a link on my iPhone so I can't provide the link. Sorry.

Im looking forward to Robson's choreography again on this show. I have no doubt, the team who has Wade will have an advantage over the others.

Thank you for the heads up!  I have been wanting this news for a looooong time.  I'd guess he will provide the opening number for the season.

On a less welcome news front - Joshua Allen has been sentenced to a year in jail for the attack on his GF that led to his dropping out of last season.  Hopefully he will learn a lesson and try to change his ways.

• Love 2
On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 8:01 AM, luvthepros said:

OMG!  I so hope this is true!  Any show is better when it's graced with Wade's choreography.  I remember back in the day it was almost always a given that whatever contestant(s) got Wade that week were guaranteed to go through to the next week.  Love him!

• Love 2

I'm going to stop thinking angry thoughts about Nigel then. 

On 7/30/2017 at 7:01 PM, luvthepros said:

This is so awesome. And here I thought that Mary's being back was going to be the only good thing about SYTYCD this year. I'm going to be able to hang in there more easily now. 

2 hours ago, romantic idiot said:

I'm going to stop thinking angry thoughts about Nigel then. 

This is so awesome. And here I thought that Mary's being back was going to be the only good thing about SYTYCD this year. I'm going to be able to hang in there more easily now. 

I'm trying not to get my hopes up about Wade until we see if it's any more than a single appearance.  Now that Nigel has tweeted about being thrilled that Wade is returning to SYTYCD on 8/7, at least I know it's true he's going to be on tomorrow.  It could be only to choreograph the one group routine that introduces the contestants to the live stage for the first time.  I'd still be happy to see his choreography on my TV even one more time.  On the other hand, it could be more...and I will jeté and pirouette for joy! 

• Love 2

Is there somewhere where the finalists are shown, you know, like in years past with headshots of them all with links to bios and stuff? The SYTYCD pages on Fox.com haven't been helpful this year. I usually printed them off to make my own scorecard where I'd cross off contestants as the weeks went by.

I finally twigged as to where I'd seen Lex Ishimoto before! When I saw Billy Elliot in Portland, OR, we happened to stay at the same hotel as the cast and often saw them in the restaurants--they even corded off a section of the bar so the kids could eat late night after the show. We didn't see him in the show but he and the other Billy's did a meet and greet in the lobby of the theater. Nice article from The Oregonian about the four Billys.

Tonite's east coast viewing will break at 9PM for the President's speech.  It will resume the show afterwards.   If you are recording you'll need to add 15-30 minutes to the timer

2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Op-ed piece in Dance Magazine criticizing Travis Wall's "Strange Fruit" routine and the fast food activism of SYTYCD

Thanks for this opinion piece. Ir verifies my unease with Travis' piece. I agree with this writer. I think Travis' intentions were good, but his understanding/awareness of his subject matter was very white-privilege oriented. And I personally struggle with that regularly. It's hard to criticize that when you are also a white person struggling with similar issues, but I thank the posters who pointed out the issues with his piece.

• Love 2

I thought it was a pretty problematic opinion piece, personally. She chose not to criticize the piece's actual execution but instead chose to criticize Travis Wall's knowledge, commitment, and process for creating the piece. But she made those criticism's on her assumptions about Travis Wall rather than her knowledge about Travis Wall or even what the piece's movement/concept revealed about Travis Wall. The one critique she makes that's grounded in the dance is

Where he could have used his white voice to reiterate the black call for equality, he has instead voiced the white plea for peace, ending his dance with a still of the darkest male in the cast shaking hands with a white woman.

But critical as I am of Travis's piece, I don't agree with her at all. I thought the dance was calling for equality, especially in the way that contemporary social justice generally contrasts the two concepts.

I also have this weird agreement/disagreement with her line "his choice of a song that resonates with the black community on a level beyond white people's understanding"  because she's not acknowledging the actual history of the song.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Zuleikha said:

I thought it was a pretty problematic opinion piece, personally.

And you are entitled to your opinion just as she is her opinion. She wrote from the perspective of a participant in the dance artistic community and as a person of color. She focused on a criticism she has of the limitations the show imposes on the creativity of it's choreographers. She, from my understanding of what I read, feels an ambivalence towards the show in general. She's writing from her experience in the world, just as we do here.

I found much to like about her perspective.

I'd be interested to hear your op-ed based on the criteria that you laid out.  It sounds interesting.

• Love 1

The one thing I disagreed with in this opinion piece is that (to my reading) she said that Travis had no business approaching this topic at all; it should have been left to an artist whose whole body of work is focused here.  I think it's good to at least get the discussion going with the "fast food" audience (including myself in that).  Would she rather he have ignored the events in Charlottesville and just choreographed a pretty, routine, contemporary dance?

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Andie1 said:

This looks like an Epic line up of choreographers this week! 

It really does!  Too soon to predict that whoever gets the Doriana Disco Dance of Death will be in jeopardy on this night of double eliminations?

Edited by SnarkyTart
4 hours ago, SnarkyTart said:

Too soon to predict that whoever gets the Doriana Disco Dance of Death will be in jeopardy on this night of double eliminations?

Nope.  Not too soon.  Of course Lex, Taylor and Kiki are out.  Well at least Kiki s/b out because he's had two ballrooms.  If it's a cutesy-disco, Lex or Taylor may get it.  But, then it wouldn't be a Doriana disco.   Koine has had back-to-back ballrooms.  So she s/b out.  Logan has upper body strength for a wiry 18 y/o but not for a Doriana disco.  That leaves Kaylee.  She's the biggest girl but I bet Cyrus has more strength than the others.

30 minutes ago, crowceilidh said:

I immediately have this sinking feeling that Koine will get the disco regardless of her past two ballrooms.  

I hope you're wrong.  I don't want Koine to have it.  She's suffered enough. 

ETA:  By suffering, I mean she's had the trick-filled salsa and a swing (I mean jive) which had the tricks.  Get someone else.  She was good in both. But by her not being a partner-dancer and just getting to know the dancers, she had to have had some anxiety.

Edited by crossover
9 hours ago, SnarkyTart said:

It really does!  Too soon to predict that whoever gets the Doriana Disco Dance of Death will be in jeopardy on this night of double eliminations?

There have been a few contestants who have done a great job with Doriana's choreography, but the only impact doing badly with her choreography will have on those who end up in the bottom will be not going out on a "high".  The votes are already cast last week and Nigel said numerous times that they will not be involved in this cut (kind of like last week only this one was planned in advance).

The two lowest vote-getters are going home. The best they can hope for is going out on a bunch of great dances &  solo.  (And Kiki will probably not be in the bottom. His fans got the scare last week when voting for him was going to be important.)

• Love 2
23 hours ago, crowceilidh said:

I immediately have this sinking feeling that Koine will get the disco regardless of her past two ballrooms.  

Me too especially since the show isn't always fair.  I think she and Marko would actually be great in disco.  However, it's time for her to do a contemporary routine again since that was her specialty.    

2 hours ago, luvthepros said:

Six dances for each finalist is going to be grueling for them. I'm particularly worried about Lex. How is he going to get through that being injured? 

I still haven't recovered from seeing what the show allowed Doriana Sanchez to do this week, and not for the first time with her.  She should be banned from SYTYCD before she's responsible for a career-ending injury of one of the contestants.  I doubt that the taped foot Lex was sporting in his solo was the result of practicing the samba.  My guess, he was already injured from practicing Doriana's choreography before this live show, and then was further injured during the (not) disco performance.  He was holding his arm and shaking after the routine, followed by the visible limping as he struggled to go down the stairs afterwards.

That's why I posted the above on 9/9:

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 2:21 AM, SnarkyTart said:

Too soon to predict that whoever gets the Doriana Disco Dance of Death will be in jeopardy on this night of double eliminations?

The fact that I anticipate, even expect, a certain choreographer to endanger the contestants just pisses me off...lots.

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, SnarkyTart said:

I still haven't recovered from seeing what the show allowed Doriana Sanchez to do this week, and not for the first time with her.  She should be banned from SYTYCD before she's responsible for a career-ending injury of one of the contestants.  I doubt that the taped foot Lex was sporting in his solo was the result of practicing the samba.  My guess, he was already injured from practicing Doriana's choreography before this live show, and then was further injured during the (not) disco performance.  He was holding his arm and shaking after the routine, followed by the visible limping as he struggled to go down the stairs afterwards.

That's why I posted the above on 9/9:

The fact that I anticipate, even expect, a certain choreographer to endanger the contestants just pisses me off...lots.

Cat and Koine knew something was wrong.  Lex was trying to be brave.  Koine looked somber after the dance instead of looking really happy.  Cat had to ask twice if he was o.k.  After the second time, Nigel also asked.   If the show insists on doing disco, then have Mandy and Val do it.   This week was also a bad time to do it since the dancers had to do so many dances and their bodies are already injured/exhausted from the previous weeks. 

• Love 4