Type keyword(s) to search

SYTYCD in the Media

• Start Topic

Did Tracker Tease Spinoff? Is SYTYCD Nixing Live Shows? Is Grey’s Doc Officially Unlikable? Was FBI’s Isobel Out of Line? And More TV Qs!
BY VLADA GELMAN, MATT WEBB MITOVICH, DAVE NEMETZ, RYAN SCHWARTZ, REBECCA IANNUCCI, CHARLIE MASON   MARCH 29, 2024
https://tvline.com/features/tracker-spinoff-tease-sofia-pernas-episode-6-tv-questions-1235193093/ 

10 | Based on So You Think You Can Dance‘s preview at the end of this week’s episode, are we to assume this season will have zero live performance or results shows? And if so, how much less interested are you in watching the entire competition? 

(edited)

Anyone know the name of the dancer in the photo at the top of the main page for this forum? She looks very familiar to me but her name is a blank. Thanks.

Edited by coffeebean

I cannot express how lazy and over-frantic I found that performance and choreography.  Maybe it will look better on my tv than on my computer screen.

Otoh, I like when judges prove they have the chops to judge, otoh, their entry was mostly v. borinig.

• Like 1
(edited)

'So You Think You Can Dance’ 18 episode 6 recap: A showmance started to take shape in ‘Challenge #2: Broadway’
Daniel Montgomery   April 22, 2024
https://www.goldderby.com/article/2024/so-you-think-you-can-dance-18-episode-6-recap-challenge-2-broadway/ 

The following day it was time for results: Allison called dancers forward: Anthony, Dakayla, Roman and Braylon. Those four were in jeopardy, but that seemed like a pretty random assortment of dancers to me. Anthony? Really? Roman after the praise he received but not Mariyah whose timing was off after the bump? Not saying this was an easy choice, but this result just didn’t seem totally consistent with the judges’ own critiques. And we didn’t see the judges confer with the choreographers about how the dancers did during their rehearsals. So it was hard to understand why these four were singled out.
Maks gave Anthony a standing ovation, and they were all surprised by his maturity after they thought he was too goofy in the group routine. We never heard them say that to him, though, they said that to Jaylin, so that was confusing. Also, they wondered why Anthony couldn’t bring this intensity out in the group routine … but that wasn’t at all the kind of group routine it was! Did they expect him to deliver Daniel Day-Lewis energy in what was basically a rom com dance number? These judges had me scratching my head at times this week.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, crowceilidh said:

A comment on that article sent me down a google chase and resulted in this:

Alex D Wong and Roman N.

Roman suffered from the absence of pair dancing. He's not built (by height, if nothing else) to be part of a line-up. I hope Maks sees that he gets a spot on DWTS. Alex, as always, continues to prove there's no style of dance he can't master.

• Like 5
(edited)

The rest of this article is good, too...

So You Think You Can Dance: What are you doing?!?!
Ashley Griffin    April 24, 2024
https://www.onstageblog.com/editorials/2024/4/24/so-you-think-you-can-dance-what-are-you-doing 

PLEASE put the focus back on the artistry! Let us have more numbers with fewer people in them and return to spending time talking about crafting the dances, why certain artistic decisions are being made, etc. I don’t know who the contestants are, they’re being eliminated SO fast without our ever getting to see them do anything! (In the past, even the person who was eliminated first at least got to do one big duet on the first episode) Being in the background of a fake music video isn’t actually testing them as dancers, and giving them three days to learn a relatively simple Broadway routine is nothing like the real world.

Knowing what this show CAN be makes these changes all the more painful. I don’t know anyone who will be inspired to start dancing (or even go to a dance show) watching this season – and that breaks my heart. SYTYCD held an incredibly unique place in our culture – it was where the new dance was being cultivated globally, and if that goes away, I’m scared to think what it will do to the dance world. PLEASE put artistry and move an audience back to the center of this show. You’re in the process of alienating a lot of people… there’s still time to change course.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1

It's a shame that Roman never got to dance in his style (with the rest of the group dancing out of their style) before he was eliminated...

Movie Week Opening Performance In The Style of “Step Up” | So You Think You Can Dance
FOX   Apr 26, 2024

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 2
16 hours ago, crowceilidh said:

Why is it raining in school???

Because they pulled the fire alarm and the sprinkler system turned on.  Which has never happened in any school I've taught in, but I guess it's got some credibility.

Oh... I thought it was the bell for end-of-class.

‘So You Think You Can Dance’ 18 episode 7 recap: Were the top six ready for their closeups in ‘Challenge #3: Movies’?
Daniel Montgomery   April 29, 2024 
https://www.goldderby.com/article/2024/so-you-think-you-can-dance-18-episode-7-recap-challenge-3-movies/ 

“SYTYCD” Week 7 Recap: Film, “Footloose,” and Frankenstein on the Silver Screen
Cadence Neenan   April 30, 2024
https://dancespirit.com/sytycd-season-18-week-7-recap/ 

Edited by tv echo

I note in the vote after that article that Mariyah is leading in the "who should have left" stakes.  I mean, based on last night, she should have left, but based on the exigencies of the show, Jaylin needed to go.  I expect they kept him around for Chris Scott or Jamal.