Type keyword(s) to search

Future of Movie Stars: Who Will Shine? Who Will Fade Away?

• Start Topic

See, I always thought that more than anything, it's the B-list or C-list "character" actors that have a longer life than anything. Look at Julianne Moore- she's been in this for decades, she's finally got her Oscar, and she's never really been the A-list leading lady. She's more than anything the definition of a "long" star, as opposed to a "big" star. Her career isn't dependent on whether or not she can make the studios over a 100 million dollars per movie, which is what A-list stars need to do.

• Love 3

See, I always thought that more than anything, it's the B-list or C-list "character" actors that have a longer life than anything. Look at Julianne Moore- she's been in this for decades, she's finally got her Oscar, and she's never really been the A-list leading lady. She's more than anything the definition of a "long" star, as opposed to a "big" star. Her career isn't dependent on whether or not she can make the studios over a 100 million dollars per movie, which is what A-list stars need to do.

I always think of the "Hey, it's that Guy/Gal!"s as having the best careers -- sure, they may never get the big awards but they work forever and are in everything.  I think a strong case could be made that the worst thing that can happen to some actors is people finding out their name.

That is why I think it is good for actors/actresses to embrace their supporting actor status, even if initial they were touted as the next big thing, like Jude Law or James Marsden. They aren't really headlining movies, but they are still working, even in big budget movies. 

• Love 1

I always think of the "Hey, it's that Guy/Gal!"s as having the best careers -- sure, they may never get the big awards but they work forever and are in everything.  I think a strong case could be made that the worst thing that can happen to some actors is people finding out their name.

I've said this before, but I think Scoot McNairy is on track to become the definitive "Hey, It's That Guy!" of the 2010's. I want him and Judy Greer to play a supporting couple in a movie together.

I do think that Wes Bentley is a prime example of someone who got too famous too fast- he was meant all along to become a character actor, but he hit it so hard with American Beauty, with such a beautiful face paired with a sensitivity that belied his youth...getting Oscar-nominated just for his 4th role was an insane experience. Here's a quote from him on that:

I wanted fame, but I thought it would be incremental, and I became afraid of the overnight-sensation thing. I started walking into rooms, and everyone would look at me, and I would freeze up. People kept saying, "You have to find your next movie" and that didn't make life any better.

Getting thrown into that at the age of 21 had to be pretty insane, especially as a guy who didn't come from a showbiz background. No wonder he used drugs to cope with that; I'm really glad Wes came back from the abyss and his lost-decade and he's found a comfortable spot as a supporting character actor.

• Love 1

I've said this before, but I think Scoot McNairy is on track to become the definitive "Hey, It's That Guy!" of the 2010's. I want him and Judy Greer to play a supporting couple in a movie together.

I can buy that. I mean he is a solid actor, but with a name like Scoot, I am not sure I could see him being a leading man.

• Love 1

And on that subject, from the Onion AV Club:

Zac Efron is a character actor—he just doesn’t know it yet

Thinking of character actors or people who make you go "Hey it's that guy/girl!" I had just started recently thinking of Susan Oliver, a stunning blonde actress from the 60s, most well known as "Vina" from the unaired Star Trek pilot "The Cage"(later reworked as the two part episode "The Managerie". She had been appeared in countless TV shows from Route 66 to Bonanza, to the Twilight Zone and had roles in movies like Butterfield 8. I Besides Star Trek I remember her most from the Andy Griffith Show episode "Prisoner of Love". It wasn't until I saw an episode of "The Big Valley" with Barbara Stanwyck that I saw how good an actress she could be. I didn't know until recently was he set records and won prizes as an aviatrix. She also tried directing. She directed one of my favorite later MASH episodes(the one with Nurse Kelly berating Hawkeye for ignoring her) Unfortunately died of lung cancer in 1990. There was a documentary last year about her:

I think she had a remarkable life outside of acting that she probably wouldn't have had if she was a "big" star.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1

And on that subject, from the Onion AV Club:

Zac Efron is a character actor—he just doesn’t know it yet

That's a pretty compelling piece. We'll see where Zac goes- I don't think this one big flop is going to hurt him all that much, though. Especially since it wasn't some 100 million dollar film.

As for Armie Hammer...god, I feel bad for him. I saw the Man From Uncle, was reminded all over again how gorgeous he is, and felt bad that he can't find a hit to save his life.

I feel like almost any producer or any studio/production would jump and do cartwheels if she signed on to their movie.  Next to Streep, Cate does bring a level of prestige and gravitas than arguably any other actress.

The short answer is she is absolutely a movie star. 

• Love 3

If she wasn't this meta joke in 22 Jump Street about how the Jump Street program("sequel") has a bigger budget wouldn't work as well as it does. I know I laughed:

She hasn't just done art movies either, she's been in all of the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit movies, played the main villain in the 4th Indiana Jones movie(which I know was not well received but still high profile) Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1

Cate Blanchett is going to playing Lucille Ball in a new movie about her marriage to Desi. I'd be skeptical about almost any actress playing that role, but I really don't know to feel about CB playing Lucy--the serious businesswoman side I can see her pulling off, but the comedy stuff? I just don't know (and Lucy herself was known to practice all of her stunts until she felt she had them right; she almost NEVER improvised).

And frankly, this has to be remembered: Even a good actor or actress can be miscast in a role.

• Love 2

Cate Blanchett is going to playing Lucille Ball in a new movie about her marriage to Desi. I'd be skeptical about almost any actress playing that role, but I really don't know to feel about CB playing Lucy--the serious businesswoman side I can see her pulling off, but the comedy stuff? I just don't know (and Lucy herself was known to practice all of her stunts until she felt she had them right; she almost NEVER improvised).

And frankly, this has to be remembered: Even a good actor or actress can be miscast in a role.

I'm actually incredibly excited about this project.  I think if you have an opportunity to see Cate Blanchett in interviews she is incredibly funny and has a very sharp self deprecating sense of humor that hasn't really been explored in her movies.  If she pulls it off it could be Oscar number 3.

Re Cate Blanchett's playing Lucille Ball, I think that while it's true that actors are miscast in roles lots of times, I also know that actors who are best-known for comedic roles have Oscars for dramatic ones, like Jack Lemmon for Save the Tiger, Jamie Foxx for Ray or Robin Williams for Good Will Hunting, and dramatic actors can if not win, then at least be nominated for comedic ones, like Peter O'Toole was for My Favorite Year.   Like I always say, it depends on the script and direction. If those are right, then chances are the performance will be too.

I keep getting her and Tilda Swinton mixed up.

CH has two Oscars; Tilda Swinton only has one, for Michael Clayton.

That's a valid reason, if it's the way you feel. But I've seen so many unsubtle allusions, even in mainstream press, to stigmatising intelligence when she's labelled 'stuck up' or 'arrogant' or when she's talked of as taking her profession too seriously and being precious about acting. I read an article that described her as "too actorly" and as a "needy, annoying theatre kid" who "antagonises people with her ferocious ambition". It's fucking gross, because I don't think you would ever hear of a male star being talked of like that. 

Perhaps if she fell over once or twice, and talked about sex toys or farting, she'd be more accepted. She'd be 'real' and 'authentic' and 'fun'. Blech.

I've read/seen the same thing said of both Julia Stiles and Kirsten Dunst.

• Love 2

I was actually thinking about how great she is the other day. They were covering TIFF on an entertainment show and they showed Eddie Redmayne, Kristen Stewart and Julianne Moore on different red carpets and I thought "she's been both their mothers '".

She has also played Josh Hutcherson and Emma Stone 's mother but I never feel like she is relegated to 'just' the mom. She plays very rounded and flawed characters that are also mom's.

• Love 1

Taylor Kistch, I think he's an interesting screen prescense , more distinct than say Armie Hammer, Ryan Reynolds or Henry Cavil , as in the Collin Farrel camp of something slightly off kilter (in good way).

He's had two well known big budget misfires (John Carter of Mars, Battleship) though the foreign take of both movies wasn't horrible , but I dunno, he just seems like the smolder/allure of a movie star is in there in the right role.

Since he's the right "type" I'm sure he'll get another 100 chances.

It doesn't sound like there's that much confidence in Taylor Kitsch though- he's already starting to go back to t.v. work. There's True Detective, as well as rumors that he's going to star as Bryan Mills in the Taken prequel T.V. series.

As opposed to Armie Hammer, who I'm kind of shocked is still getting movie roles. I guess he's lucky that his biggest flops weren't really being seen as "Armie Hammer movies"?

Ryan Reynolds at least makes sense because during the second half of the 2000's, he DID have a lot of success, and people are banking that he can get that back.

Edited by methodwriter85

The only thing notable about Armie Hammer for me is that he's still in his 20s.  When I first saw him, I just knew he was mid-to-late 30s.  

Nope, dude was born in 1986. He's just one of those guys that doesn't have anything boyish about him, which most guys do at his age.

His family basically American Royalty(oil tycoons) so his age is pretty well documented. His parents were married in 1985 and he came soon after.

It would be kind of funny to see him play Steven in a Dynasty remake for that reason. His family basically WAS Dynasty.

It's also kind of funny to listen to Armie Hammer talk about his idyllic childhood in the Cayman Islands, when this article is basically implying that his parents moved there because it was a tax haven.

Edited by methodwriter85

Apparently Emily Blunt is the producers' first choice for the upcoming Mary Poppins sequel, but so far, she isn't signed to anything.

Damn! I never knew they were doing a remake. This has got to be the boldest remake ever. Mary Poppins is such a classic, who would want to go up against that amount of baggage.

Nope, dude was born in 1986. He's just one of those guys that doesn't have anything boyish about him, which most guys do at his age.

I suppose.  When I first saw a pic of him, he was 25-26 at the time.  I was gobsmacked. He definitely has Taylor Shilling syndrome.  Not knocking it - I've one of those faces.  I'm coming around the bend where my age and face are about the same, and I look forward to pulling a Benjamin Button-lite, heh. Hang in there, Taylor and Armie! Though with the latter, I have wondered if he's heavy into the alcohol and drugs, which ages him.  

It's kind of crazy now that Eddie Redmayne and Viola Davis, who were the one of the only non-movie-stars to win tonys in 2010 --the season when a bunch hollywood actors were on broadway won all the major tonys (and everyone complained about how that took away from the theater actors who toiled in the theater and that the tonys were just thinking of the money that more movie stars on broadway could bring in). Fast forward to now when both are now big movie stars themselves. 

Edited by JustaPerson

Both of them are really good examples of people that didn't have the conventional leading film actor looks, but who managed to become leading actors anyway due to sheer talent.

There's this newcomer, Anthony Ingruber, who drew notice for his uncanny Young Harrison Ford impression in The Age of Adeline. It'll be interesting to see if he can parlay that notice into anything. I'm not exactly clamoring for him to lead the proposed Young Han Solo movies, but I do think the guy DID have onscreen charisma in the little bit that he had in the movie.

Unfortunately more than the guy who was the actual lead, Micheal Huisman.

In any event, I'm rooting for the guy. I hope he turns out to have the chops beyond mimicry.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2

It doesn't sound like there's that much confidence in Taylor Kitsch though- he's already starting to go back to t.v. work. There's True Detective, as well as rumors that he's going to star as Bryan Mills in the Taken prequel T.V. series.

I wouldn't really use True Detective as evidence that Kitsch's career is on the rocks. It's a high profile show that got incredible plaudits for its first season, which starred a recent Oscar winner and a well established movie actor. And the second season had well established actors that people knew from the big screen too.

I do think he was miscast as an action hero, though. I always thought Taylor Kitsch would be more at home in dramas and ensemble casts, than being asked to headline something like Battleship. He's got the movie star looks, but his personality and energy are more low key.

I wouldn't really use True Detective as evidence that Kitsch's career is on the rocks. It's a high profile show that got incredible plaudits for its first season, which starred a recent Oscar winner and a well established movie actor. And the second season had well established actors that people knew from the big screen too.

Agreed.  I always feel a little bad for these actors where, on paper, the project should be pure gold and will launch their careers and then, through no fault of their own (my understanding is that it was script not acting problems with TD s2) it's terrible.

I remember back when Gigli came out and how bad I felt for the guy playing the "witness" -- some relatively unknown actor getting a major costarring role with Bennifer at the top of their respective games, and playing mentally challenged -- an opportunity to show his chops.  Leo in What's Eating Gilbert Grape? style.  And then... Gigli.  Of course, that guy turned out to be Justin Bartha, so... (I did enjoy him in the National Treasure series though.)

What do people think of Dylan O'Brien? Especially if you're not a Teen Wolf fan. The Maze Runner movies are a hit, and he seems to be he biggest male star of his generation. I'm trying to think of someone to compare, but can't. I think he can be overrated by some Teen Wolf fans, but he's got something. It'll be interesting to see how far he can go.

ETA: Oh maybe Edward Cullen, whatshisface is in the same age bracket and can be considered equally big?

Edited by greenbean
What do people think of Dylan O'Brien? Especially if you're not a Teen Wolf fan. The Maze Runner movies are a hit, and he seems to be he biggest male star of his generation. I'm trying to think of someone to compare, but can't.

I agree that Dylan has a bright future, but I think calling him the biggest male star of his generation is a stretch. He's in the same age bracket as Logan Lerman, Josh Hutcherson, and Liam Hemsworth, and if you stretch the range, would include people like Miles Teller and Michael B. Jordan. I think Dylan O'Brien has potential, but I think he's in the early stages of breaking into the industry.

I agree that Dylan has a bright future, but I think calling him the biggest male star of his generation is a stretch. He's in the same age bracket as Logan Lerman, Josh Hutcherson, and Liam Hemsworth, and if you stretch the range, would include people like Miles Teller and Michael B. Jordan. I think Dylan O'Brien has potential, but I think he's in the early stages of breaking into the industry.

Agreed.  I'm aware of both Teen Wolf and the Maze Runner movies and didn't know his name (in fact, I didn't know the same actor was in both properties), unlike the five others mentioned above.  I was impressed with him in the Scorch Trial trailer I saw recently and wish him well, but he's no where near the biggest male star of his generation.  I mean, even in the Scorch Trial trailer, Thomas Brodie-Sangster is (to my mind) the more recognizable face.

• Love 1

What do people think of Dylan O'Brien? Especially if you're not a Teen Wolf fan. The Maze Runner movies are a hit, and he seems to be he biggest male star of his generation.

I don't watch Teen Wolf, but I saw Maze Runner on HBO.  Honestly I thought he was OK but sorta generic.  Maybe it's just that I'm not the target audience, but he didn't set the world on fire for me.

Edited by vb68

While I'll admit that O'Brien is the most talented of the younger Teen Wolf actors, I am beyond tired of his special snowflake character, of hearing tween girls squee over him, and of him doing interviews and conventions while apparently blitzed or high on something. What he really needs is a Kubrick or Herzog style director who'll beat some professionalism into him.

While I'll admit that O'Brien is the most talented of the younger Teen Wolf actors, I am beyond tired of his special snowflake character, of hearing tween girls squee over him, and of him doing interviews and conventions while apparently blitzed or high on something. What he really needs is a Kubrick or Herzog style director who'll beat some professionalism into him.

I'd be interested in seeing Dylan O'Brien and Miles Teller work together. Something tells me they'd kill each other.

I do think Dylan's future is bright- he's in a successful franchise, but it's a smaller scale one...a good way to enter into movies.

I feel bad for Theo James that he's stuck in a franchise that nobody seems to like for the next year and a half while playing a character he's about 10 years too old for. He would have been better off working in dark, gritty dramas instead.

Speaking of the YA stuff, I wonder if the 5th Wave will be what finally turns Chloe Grace Moretz into a bonafide box office star. I feel like since she turned about 15 everybody wants her to be the next big thing, now that we know she's not going to be one of those child stars who turn into awkward-loooking adults.

Edited by methodwriter85

2485cb87a85bff675633a414ed9d4b15.jpgjimmy-stewart-3-sized.jpg

liberty-valance.jpg%E2%80%9D.jpeg

gal_Stewart_James_8.jpg

Thinking about how actresses have recently said that Hollywood doesn't have a lot of good roles to women once they hit their late 30s. Male actors have always had the advantage of being able to lose their "prettiness" and still be movie stars longer than women.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 3

This is so random, but every time I go to the nail salon, there's usually some kind of romantic comedy or family friendly movie playing. Last time I went, they were playing a movie I never heard of, "My One and Only", which appeared to be a biography about George Hamilton. It starred Logan Lerman, and setting aside that I think he doesn't look a thing like George Hamilton, this was the first movie I'd ever really watched with Logan Lerman, and he really has something. He just the right role to break into the big times, because he has the makings of a movie star.

I also cannot believe this was the kid I thought was annoying as shit on Jack and Bobby, but that was more due to the character, not the actor.

Edited by Princess Sparkle

I agree that Dylan has a bright future, but I think calling him the biggest male star of his generation is a stretch. He's in the same age bracket as Logan Lerman, Josh Hutcherson, and Liam Hemsworth.

I thought it might be a bit much, but I tried to think of a young actor who's currently the lead in a successful franchise. Though I don't think he's a major star at all, it's more that I don't think his peers are doing that much at the box office. He's got some project about the BP oil spill lined up, it has a few big names. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

him doing interviews and conventions while apparently blitzed or high on something.

I think he's trying to age up.