Type keyword(s) to search

Future of Movie Stars: Who Will Shine? Who Will Fade Away?

• Start Topic

Unfortunately Angelina Jolie would be considered far too old for Catwoman now.

It is really a shame that she had to drop out of Silver Linings Playbook because of her health issues. Tiffany was such a great role.

As a guy who's enjoyed Chris Pratt ever since he tricked Ephram Brown with his girly handwriting, I'm really glad he's getting his moment in the sun.

I really would of loved to see Angelina's version of Tiffany, especially considering that the character of Tiffany was inspired by Angelina to begin with.  I can't imagine what Matthew Quick (author) thought when DOR told him that Angelina was going to be Tiffany.  To love an actress so much that you base your main character around her then said actress is interested in playing the character in the movie version. 

• Love 1

As a big fan of Everwood back in the day I am really happy for Chris Pratt's success.

And to think, we have Rae Dawn Chong to thank for getting him into acting in the first place (that might be my all-time favorite 'how I got into acting' stories).

• Love 2

And to think, we have Rae Dawn Chong to thank for getting him into acting in the first place (that might be my all-time favorite 'how I got into acting' stories).

Would really love to see Rae Dawn Chong act again.  I know she is busy being a mom and working primarily as an author now but would love to see her act from time to time.  Maybe Chris can persuade her to take a small part in one of his movies. Love that she spotted him when he was heavier and not "Hollywood gorgeous" and took to his personality and talent and thought he would succeed.

Angelina Jolie recently said in an interview that she prefers directing to acting now, and that she never really chose to act. Her mother really wanted her to act so she began as a child actor. She has never really known any other job or life. Now that's in her middle age, has a lot of cachet and connections, she has a lot more options and realized that acting has lost any of its appeal. I've heard a similar sentiment from other former child actors. It's a shame because while I've seen Jolie's previous roles as a mixed bag, I think she's become progressively better as an actor and does have a screen presence. I wish she would act in more things now.

As a big fan of Everwood back in the day I am really happy for Chris Pratt's success.

I'm just glad that it's happening now, when he's in his mid-30's, instead of it happening in his teens or early/mid-20's.

Hyped pretty boys in their 20's just never seem to end well, because most actors need time to develop and mature before they can successfully lead films. I did feel bad for Zac Efron's string of flops.

I'm just glad that it's happening now, when he's in his mid-30's, instead of it happening in his teens or early/mid-20's.

Hyped pretty boys in their 20's just never seem to end well, because most actors need time to develop and mature before they can successfully lead films. I did feel bad for Zac Efron's string of flops.

I think Zac Efron is being smart in doing some R-rated comedies. I never paid him much attention, but I thought he was hilarious in Neighbors. If he turns in a few more performances like that, he might be able to transition to more of an adult actor rather than the HSM teen pretty boy.

You mean Angelina doesn't give you the heebie-jeebies? I mean, she can act and all, and I actually think she's more talented than a lot of people give her credit for, but still, three words - Billy Bob Thornton. ;-)

Her antics with her brother back in the day gave me the willies.

• Love 4

I'm thrilled Angelina dropped out of Silver Linings Playbook. I don't think she can act her way out of a paper bag and she has gotten so skinny (even pre-health issues) that I find it uncomfortable watching her on-screen. It's like watching Karen Carpenter act. Plus, I still have rage issues with her and Clive Owen for the worst movie I've ever seen in the theaters - Beyond Borders. That movie makes me so angry.

More on topic: Just saw Jurassic World and I thought Chris Pratt might be the first believable male action star since Harrison Ford for me. He's got charisma, great comic timing without coming off like a lightweight and I believe he actually knows how to throw a punch and shoot a gun. He was great in Guardians of the Galaxy, which is my favorite comic book movie and now great in this. If we can just keep him from getting tainted by appearing in one of the Avengers movies, all will be good.

As a guy who's enjoyed Chris Pratt ever since he tricked Ephram Brown with his girly handwriting, I'm really glad he's getting his moment in the sun.

Heh. I too was sold on Bright and Chris Pratt from that moment on. (Even more so when he was listing Ephram's good qualities later on: sensitive... Extremely clean...) He was great on Everwood and I'm really pleased that he's this big name now.

• Love 3
(edited)

Chris Pratt is batting 1000 these days & he deserves it. He's proven that he can do TV, film, comedy, drama and action. He's a leading man, a character actor and, as Jurassic World alone shows, a box-office draw. His hotness doesn't hurt, either. Personality-wise, based on what I've seen/heard, Pratt's a great guy who's happily married to a talented and successful woman in her own right and a devoted father. Despite his phenomenal success, Pratt seems to be as humble and grateful as he was when he first started. As for the talk of Pratt being the next Indiana Jones, I wouldn't be surprised if he refused because of his quote in his recent Entertainment Weekly Cover Story: "You don't want to be the guy who fucks that up." However, I think that, with proper planning, Pratt could have a career like Harrison Ford's, which balances blockbusters with other roles in "smaller" films like Witness, The Mosquito Coast & 42 and different types of roles like  Regarding Henry, The Fugitive, Presumed Innocent, Working Girl and What Lies Beneath

in which he was the villain

In a few years, I would like to see Pratt try to do a Broadway play, just to challenge himself and to flex his acting muscles. It could be either a comedy, drama or even a musical. If anyone can pull it off, he can, I believe.

If we can just keep him from being tainted by appearing in one of the Avengers movies, all will be good.

Not with me. Seeing Pratt with his fellow Chrises Evans and Hemsworth and all their pretty would make my day, if not my year. My ovaries are sizzling just thinking about it.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 2
(edited)

Not with me. Seeing Pratt with his fellow Chrises Evans and Hemsworth and all their pretty would make my day, if not my year. My ovaries are sizzling just thinking about it.

Add Tom Hiddleston to the mix and I'm there.

Edited by BatmanBeatles
  • Love 3

I find Chris Pratt a bit of a homelier version of James Franco, or a more handsome version of Seth Rogen. Funny when given the right material, painful and fratboy when coming up with his own. He seems like a nice guy, though.

Not sure quite how it works when an actor suddenly shoots to the stratosphere like him. It's a bit like when people tried to make Sam Worthington happen a couple of years ago. Pratt seems like he might actually make it, because he can actually act.

Tom Hiddleston is the guy I really have no desire to see any more of in the Marvel movies. Loki became tiresome, very quickly, and the Thor sequel was a waste of time, largely thanks to him being more of a threat than the supposed villain. 

(edited)

I'm thrilled Angelina dropped out of Silver Linings Playbook. I don't think she can act her way out of a paper bag and she has gotten so skinny (even pre-health issues) that I find it uncomfortable watching her on-screen.

I'm not the biggest fan but I do think that a role like that is what she usually excels in. I still remember her work in Gia and she did make me empathize with this off the wall character she created, while making me see what a nightmare it was for family and friends to deal with her in their lives. I also wish she would put more weight back on but that also could have actually worked for a role of a character dealing with depression.

Edited by raezen
  • Love 3
(edited)

Watching Spy and seeing Jude Law again made me think about how hard he went for superstardom a decade to 15 years ago, and he just never really pulled it off. I think the guy is another example of "leading man face/body"/"character actor" soul. He was pretty hilarious in his supporting role.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2
(edited)

He did get nominated for his oscars in leading men roles, though. Though his role in The Talented Mr. Ripley was a supporting character, it easily could have been the main character in a different movie. You know, not about creepy, murderous social climbers...

Edited by JustaPerson
  • Love 1
More on topic: Just saw Jurassic World and I thought Chris Pratt might be the first believable male action star since Harrison Ford for me. He's got charisma, great comic timing without coming off like a lightweight and I believe he actually knows how to throw a punch and shoot a gun.

As for the talk of Pratt being the next Indiana Jones, I wouldn't be surprised if he refused because of his quote in his recent Entertainment Weekly Cover Story: "You don't want to be the guy who fucks that up."

Heh.  These two pieces of information make me wish the best for him. 

Pratt could have a career like Harrison Ford's, which balances blockbusters with other roles in "smaller" films like Witness, The Mosquito Coast & 42 and different types of roles like  Regarding Henry, The Fugitive, Presumed Innocent, Working Girl and What Lies Beneath

I can't think of a single non-franchise film I've seen of Harrison Ford's where I thought he could act (or that the movie as a whole was any good).  If the reviews about Chris Pratt are true, I would think he deserves a far better career.

I enjoyed the spectacle of The Avengers as much as the next non-comic book fan, but I wouldn't say there was any good acting in it.  The main way it excelled, for me, was it was the most well-paced series of special effects I've ever seen strung together.

I can't think of a single non-franchise film I've seen of Harrison Ford's where I thought he could act (or that the movie as a whole was any good).  If the reviews about Chris Pratt are true, I would think he deserves a far better career.

Although I take your point, and have no illusions about Harrison Ford's acting prowess, in my Galaxy of Fame, Harrison Ford is the Sun -- I can't imagine a "better" career.

• Love 3

I find Chris Pratt a bit of a homelier version of James Franco, or a more handsome version of Seth Rogen. Funny when given the right material, painful and fratboy when coming up with his own. He seems like a nice guy, though.

Well, now, let's not get insulting. I like Rogen quite a bit despite the insistence on sticking to stoner characters (even when he was in 50/50, he was that guy who wanted to smoke pot all the time) but I think I hurt my brain trying to imagine him running from dinosaurs. At least without crouching down behind a rock so that he could light up a joint. :-)

• Love 3

Last year I remember reading an article in EW which talked about how he broke into hollywood by meeting Rae Dawn Chong. At the same time I was reading Nick Offerman's book. It was funny to me how the three big stars of Parks and Recreation got into acting in pretty much the most different ways possible. You had Offerman who was a classically trained theatre actor (the guy has done Kabuki), you have Amy Poehler who got her start doing improve, and then you have Pratt who was a bartender who met an actress and said he wanted to do what she does.

(edited)

I find Chris Pratt to be a homelier version of James Franco, or a more handsome version of Seth Rogen. Funny when given the right material, painful and fratboy when coming up with his own.

I respectfully disagree. Chris Pratt is not only more than capable of being funny on his own, his improv skills impressed the producers of Parks & Recreation so much that his character quickly went from a bit part to a full-fledged regular. However, according to Pratt, there was one time that his improvising did get him in trouble with TPTB on that show, but even then it worked to his advantage, as he explained on The Graham Norton Show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzdEokNTScg

I can't think of a single non-franchise film where I thought Harrison Ford could act (or that the movie as a whole was any good).

Again respectfully disagreeing. Harrison Ford not only got great reviews for his work in The Mosquito Coast & 42, he was even Oscar-nominated for Best Actor for his performance in Witness, so when it comes to career models, Pratt could do way worse than Ford, as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 2

You mean Angelina doesn't give you the heebie-jeebies? I mean, she can act and all, and I actually think she's more talented than a lot of people give her credit for, but still, three words - Billy Bob Thornton. ;-)

You know what's strange?  I actually liked Angelina more when she was with Billy Bob.  Sure, they were strange together, but I feel like that was probably closer to what her actual personality is.  I think this earth-mother type thing is more of a facade (that she took initially so people wouldn't think she broke up two Hollywood relationships), and I liked "I don't care what you think; I just fucked Billy Bob in the back of the limo" Angelina.

This is more of an aside, but I do find it fascinating that Brad Pitt completely changes his look and interests based on the woman he's with.  The change from rocker-type with Juliette Lewis, to icy blonde with Gwyneth Paltrow, to California-surfer with Jennifer Anniston, to now, darker, tattooed socially-conscious type with Angelina has been interesting to see.  He's someone else I would label as a "character actor with leading man looks", especially because up until Mr and Mrs Smith, he couldn't really carry a movie on his own.  My favorite role of his is actually his character in Twelve Monkeys.

• Love 4

Looks like I am outvoted when it comes to Harrison Ford. Lucky for him! :-)

To try to get back on topic, I would like to see more of Dev Patel ... Slumdog Millionaire and Marigold Hotel ... there is a guy who I thought could carry a movie. Thoughts?

• Love 2

You know what's strange?  I actually liked Angelina more when she was with Billy Bob.  Sure, they were strange together, but I feel like that was probably closer to what her actual personality is.  I think this earth-mother type thing is more of a facade (that she took initially so people wouldn't think she broke up two Hollywood relationships)

I remember some quote that the most impressive thing about Angelina was her publicist.  I think it was a joke, but there was an underlying truth to it too.

I am so very happy for the success of Domhnall Gleeson. I absolutely fell in love with him in About Time, one of my favorite (very underrated) movies.  He was great in Ex Machina and now he's probably the main reason I will watch the new Star Wars reboot.

• Love 3

To try to get back on topic, I would like to see more of Dev Patel ... Slumdog Millionaire and Marigold Hotel ... there is a guy who I thought could carry a movie. Thoughts?

It's unfortunate that The Last Airbender made him look bad.

Looks like I am outvoted when it comes to Harrison Ford. Lucky for him! :-)

I really like Dev Patel too, I'd love to see him get more work.

• Love 1

Dev Patel did really well in Chappie, I thought, considering that he mostly acted opposite a robot with Sharlto Copley's voice.

I am so very happy for the success of Domhnall Gleeson. I absolutely fell in love with him in About Time, one of my favorite (very underrated) movies.  He was great in Ex Machina and now he's probably the main reason I will watch the new Star Wars reboot.

I agree with everything that you just said.  These are my thoughts exactly.

Dev Patel did really well in Chappie, I thought, considering that he mostly acted opposite a robot with Sharlto Copley's voice.

Ugh, I hated Chappie.  I don't like any movie where none of the characters are decent people.

• Love 1

RE the Anne Hathaway hate discussion from a few pages back - it wasn't her overexposure that made me hate her. For the most part I've enjoyed her roles and think she's earned them. What really turned me off her was when she hosted the Oscars and paraded around like a show offy child trying to cram in her singing, comedic talent and whatever else she could think of into the show to impress the industry big leagues in the audience. Honestly I was surprised she wasn't juggling by the end of it. She had been trying to get a Les Miserables type role going for a while and while determination in an actor is a great asset to have, show boating yourself throughout an already tiring awards ceremony is another. She just came across terribly.

I respect her for continuing with the show when Franco basically checked out but most of her acts were preplanned and organised anyway so even if he had stayed professional and not looked like he wanted the grounf to swallow him hole, the 3 hours would still have been her showing off regardless. Ugh just thinking about that song and dance for Hugh Jackman and his confused reaction just makes me cringe. It was a.w.f.u.l.

• Love 1

For awhile, I really appreciated Anne Hathaway, mainly for her red carpet style.  She pulled off a series of very elegant looks, which were a welcome counterpoint to the tacky and the ugly.

I haven't watched the awards show or seen Les Miz, but I have a visceral distaste for everything Andrew Lloyd Webber, so I'll admit I've had a prejudice against Anne since she was involved in that project.  It doesn't rise to a backlash or hate of any kind, and it certainly doesn't have to do with how smart or ambitious she is.

For whatever that's worth.

I haven't watched the awards show or seen Les Miz, but I have a visceral distaste for everything Andrew Lloyd Webber, so I'll admit I've had a prejudice against Anne since she was involved in that project.  It doesn't rise to a backlash or hate of any kind, and it certainly doesn't have to do with how smart or ambitious she is.

As a Les Mis nerd I just have to point out that Andrew Lloyd Webber has nothing to do with that show. It's easy to think, since he's such a big name in the industry, but yeah, no connection.

After Mad Max: Fury Road I find myself wanting to see a whole lot more of Nicholas Hoult. He's got something about him that stands out, and I hope the movies he's made so far have paid him well enough that he can afford to make smart decisions about what projects to take part in.

• Love 2
As a Les Mis nerd I just have to point out that Andrew Lloyd Webber has nothing to do with that show. It's easy to think, since he's such a big name in the industry, but yeah, no connection.

Oh!  Thanks for the correction, Schweedie.  Well, then, maybe I should reassess.

• Love 1

I respect her for continuing with the show when Franco basically checked out but most of her acts were preplanned and organised anyway so even if he had stayed professional and not looked like he wanted the grounf to swallow him hole, the 3 hours would still have been her showing off regardless.

I disagree here somewhat.  My memory of it is her trying, desperately and flailing in the process, to compensate for the stiff as a board Franco.  Tina Fey had a great joke about it at the Golden Globes the next year.  She told Anne in acknowledging her work in Les Miz that she hadn't seen someone so all alone like that since Anne was onstage with James Franco.  Regardless, it certainly wasn't a stellar moment, and Anne admits it was the height of embarrassment for her.  So I can't hold that against her. 

• Love 8
(edited)

I disagree here somewhat.  My memory of it is her trying, desperately and flailing in the process, to compensate for the stiff as a board Franco.  Tina Fey had a great joke about it at the Golden Globes the next year.  She told Anne in acknowledging her work in Les Miz that she hadn't seen someone so all alone like that since Anne was onstage with James Franco.  Regardless, it certainly wasn't a stellar moment, and Anne admits it was the height of embarrassment for her.  So I can't hold that against her. 

I always thought it was a combination of the fact that Franco checked out twenty minutes in and the fact that her material was fucking horrible. The show was tanking and she knew it and she got desperate and it showed. Yeah it wasn't good, but she was the last person to blame for that debacle IMO.

As for her "showing off" by singing songs and telling jokes, I'm sorry but that seems ridiculous to me. Isn't that what pretty much every host does? I don't recall anyone accusing Hugh Jackman of the same for the giant musical number that took up the middle of the show the year he hosted.

But then again, I've never really understood the over-the-top hatred of her to begin with, especially when there are so many more people in the industry who are genuinely terrible people. And since someone brought up The Dark Knight Rises earlier, I'll just say that I loved her Catwoman and thought she was the best part of that movie.

Edited by AshleyN
  • Love 10
(edited)

Anne was a great cat woman, my issue with her isn't that she's not a good actress. The issue for me isn't her lack of talent, it was just what a show off she came across in that hosting gig. Jackman was a former Broadway star by the time he had his turn as host so his stint dodnt seem as forced to me.

I wouldn't call my dislike for her over the top. I wouldn't call it hatred either. I'm just making the point that a lot of people feel it was her overexposure that turned audiences against her, for me it wasn't that as I like most of her films. For me it was that awful hosting gig along with one or two other articles/appearances. She just stopped coming across as genuine to me and started reminding me of a child always showing off.

Before I'm slated IM sure there's loads of other actors doing the same as above. Hell they probably all are. Anne was just the only actress I followed at the time and saw it with first hand.

Edited by Chas411

After Mad Max: Fury Road I find myself wanting to see a whole lot more of Nicholas Hoult. He's got something about him that stands out, and I hope the movies he's made so far have paid him well enough that he can afford to make smart decisions about what projects to take part in.

You should definitely see Warm Bodies. I was hesitant at first - zombie-meets-girl-and-gets-semi-reformed sounded like it was bordering on Twilight territory, but Hoult's turn as R really made me notice him. And Teresa Palmer, his co-star, should be getting more roles than she is

• Love 2

I never watch the Oscars, but isn't the host slated for doing embarrassing, cringeworthy, cheesy stuff every year? I feel like that's the annual controversy, immediately after them. If this is what happened with Anne Hathaway, that she was lumbered with the dreary Franco, and he couldn't be bothered, then that sucks for her. It sucks even more if her trying to salvage something from the show has been held against her.

And for what it's worth, her Catwoman was really good, in my opinion. I was doubtful beforehand, because much of her work was playing nice girls, but she knocked it out of the park. Slinky, sexy, mischievous. She was one of the few good things about that dreadfully overblown, overly-serious chore of a movie. I just felt bad for Selina at the end, when she got stuck with the cold fish that was Bale's Bruce Wayne. What did she ever do to deserve that fate?

I've said this about her before, but I think she needs to do a daft comedy or two, to shake that (unfair, in my view) perception of her as serious and precious and full of herself. She is able to make fun of herself in interviews, and seems to have a nice, goofy sense of humour. Her new movie The Intern, looks like a step in that direction.

• Love 1

Watching Spy and seeing Jude Law again made me think about how hard he went for superstardom a decade to 15 years ago, and he just never really pulled it off. I think the guy is another example of "leading man face/body"/"character actor" soul. He was pretty hilarious in his supporting role.

I will never forget Chris Rock hosting the Oscars in 2005, where he had that monologue that included the part about waiting for Jude Law if that's who they wanted for a movie, before pointing out just how many movies he was in around that time (and then, for some strange reason, Sean Penn caring enough to actually throw a temper tantrum about it). Weirdly enough, the only movie that he was in back then that I actually remember was that remake of Alfie he starred in. His star really burned out shortly after that, didn't it?

Of course, he also got some flack for cheating on Sienna Miller with his kids' nanny, too, although I can't remember if that was before or after that Oscar ceremony (probably after). 

(edited)

It sucks even more if her trying to salvage something from the show has been held against her.

Exactly. And I  just don't  understand the showing off viewpoint at all.  For better or worse, the material for any host will cater to their perceived  strengths.   But even if she was, she herself has acknowledged how awful and humiliating it was, and I don't think she will ever be inclined to host something like that again.  So I have to give her a break on that.

I do wonder if that experience holds her back on trying a Broadway show.

Edited by vb68
(edited)

You should definitely see Warm Bodies. I was hesitant at first - zombie-meets-girl-and-gets-semi-reformed sounded like it was bordering on Twilight territory, but Hoult's turn as R really made me notice him. And Teresa Palmer, his co-star, should be getting more roles than she is

I'm bitter that Nicholas Hoult's mild success with that movie was immediately followed by that bomb Jack and the Giant Beanstock movie. Ugh.

I have no clue why Teresa Palmer isn't an A-list movie actress. It boggles the mind. She's like a mix between Kristen Stewart and Amber Heard. (Amber Heard, unfortunately isn't really setting the world on fire, either.) Since Teresa is very youthful I'm hoping she can pull off an Amy Adams and get "discovered" in her 30's.

I will never forget Chris Rock hosting the Oscars in 2005, where he had that monologue that included the part about waiting for Jude Law if that's who they wanted for a movie, before pointing out just how many movies he was in around that time (and then, for some strange reason, Sean Penn caring enough to actually throw a temper tantrum about it). Weirdly enough, the only movie that he was in back then that I actually remember was that remake of Alfie he starred in. His star really burned out shortly after that, didn't it?

Burned out is the best way of putting it. He was in a ton of movies that didn't too well, and he seemed to really disappear after the mid-part of the 2000's.

It was kind of nice to see Jude Law again in a movie, and with a nice hairpiece, looking hot.

Speaking of hyped guys from the early/mid-2000's....Jude's co-star Clive Owen seemed to disappear. From whatever reason, I always mixed up him and Gerard Butler even though they're not really similar.

He does seem to be working steadily, but man, like Jude, he seemed everywhere for awhile about ten years ago.

Edited by methodwriter85
(edited)

I will never forget Chris Rock hosting the Oscars in 2005, where he had that monologue that included the part about waiting for Jude Law if that's who they wanted for a movie, before pointing out just how many movies he was in around that time (and then, for some strange reason, Sean Penn caring enough to actually throw a temper tantrum about it).

Chris Rock was using Jude Law as punchline, saying he wasn't really a movie star so they should wait for one instead of casting him in everything, which prompted Seann Penn's awkward retort in his defense

Edited by spaceytraci1208

I've said this about her before, but I think she needs to do a daft comedy or two, to shake that (unfair, in my view) perception of her as serious and precious and full of herself. She is able to make fun of herself in interviews, and seems to have a nice, goofy sense of humour. Her new movie The Intern, looks like a step in that direction.

You didn't like Bride Wars?  :-P