Type keyword(s) to search

Future of Movie Stars: Who Will Shine? Who Will Fade Away?

• Start Topic

On 8/17/2023 at 9:49 AM, methodwriter85 said:

I didn’t love this at the time. Were the rest of the cast invited and she was the only one left out? I know Arianna de Bose was nominated and so was obviously going to attend. From What I read she was annoyed she wasn’t invited but a lot actors don’t get to go even if their filM is nominated? It might be just the production that attend. I admire her honesty in being frustrated she didn’t get the invite but was she the only one not invited out of the cast? If not I don’t get why she would be expecting to go.

19 hours ago, Avabelle said:

I didn’t love this at the time. Were the rest of the cast invited and she was the only one left out? I know Arianna de Bose was nominated and so was obviously going to attend. From What I read she was annoyed she wasn’t invited but a lot actors don’t get to go even if their filM is nominated? It might be just the production that attend. I admire her honesty in being frustrated she didn’t get the invite but was she the only one not invited out of the cast? If not I don’t get why she would be expecting to go.

I think it's her being green at the time, and also not quite getting that a lot of people don't show up for the Oscars even if they're related to an Oscar-nominated film, or are nominated themselves. Especially when they're filming a movie outside of the United States.

I also got the vibe that she was annoyed that Disney/Fox had been hyping up the Hispanic representation of the new West Side Story (which was the big selling point as to justifying the remake) but she wasn't invited to the ceremony.

I'm kind of with you though that I can see why this had to annoy a lot of people, especially because it held up production of Snow White, which is still apparently not even completed and there are now questions Disney has about if it's even worth it to release in theaters now or if it should just be canned to Disney Plus.

Edited by methodwriter85

I watched the movie Maggie Moore(s) on Netflix on the weekend and it really made me wonder what is up with Jon Hamm. The movie was ok for a pretty basic crime solving cop movie. And I don't think it was very successful since I didn't even realize it wasn't a direct to Netflix thing until after I watched it. But I am really wondering why he isn't doing better more successful stuff. I know he was also in that Fletch movie which I don't think was very successful either and he had a small part in Top Gun: Maverick. But Mad Men basically made him a household name and he is a talented good looking actor. Did he make a bunch of money off Mad Men and now just does stuff for fun? I saw that Maggie Moore(s) was directed by John Slattery who was also in Mad Men so maybe he does just do stuff like that. And maybe he doesn't want to be in a super hero or Fast & Furious movie so there aren't a lot of options. And if that is the case why not go back to tv?

I don't think anyone sets out to be in a disappointing project but I also feel like we are in an era where stars who have made their name and money take more risks, do more passion projects, are more content to do a glorified cameo in a Wes Anderson movie than take a leading role for someone not as acclaimed, or just have more agency to make films with their buddies.  It's possibly because in our current landscape it's getting harder and harder to predict what will or will not hit with an audience so might as well stop stressing about and do what fulfills you instead.  And even when something does hit it's much more transient than it used to be.  Movies like Maverick, Barbie, and Oppenheimer that stay in the zeitgeist longer than a few weeks are now the exception.

In the case of John Hamm specifically, outside of Mad Men he's never really been a leading man.  Like you said, he probably already made his money and it's not like he doesn't work or has fallen off the radar.   Maybe now he's just happy to be character actor guy whenever Tina Fey has a new project.   

Edited by kiddo82

So supposedly Rachel Zegler, as soon as the SAG union strike is over, plans on releasing a scathing indictment on the haters with a focus on the Daily Wire release of Snow White and the South Park Into the Pandaverse episode.

I don't know. I get that she feels she needs to do this, but I don't think it's going to help much.

• Mind Blown 1
6 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

So supposedly Rachel Zegler, as soon as the SAG union strike is over, plans on releasing a scathing indictment on the haters with a focus on the Daily Wire release of Snow White and the South Park Into the Pandaverse episode.

I don't know. I get that she feels she needs to do this, but I don't think it's going to help much.

Maybe not, but she has the right to stand up for herself. And if she wants to stick it to Trey Parker and Matt Stone, more power to her. All she did was take a part that she’s wanted to play since she was a kid and try to make it her own. Why everyone seems to want to punish her for that, I’ll never understand.

• Like 8

Jacob Tremblay's voice cracking while talking about Little Mermaid...aww, puberty, thank god I haven't experienced that in over 20 years. LOL

I'm glad he's riding out his "awkward stage" (that can kill so many child star careers unless they're lucky like Elizabeth Taylor who never had an awkward stage) by doing voiceover work. A really smart move while he waits as we know that generally Hollywood is going to pick a 18-year to play 16 over an actual 16-year old, especially when it comes to guys.

He should do fine when he finishes growing up, though. Remember his parents, lol. I lean towards thinking he mostly favors his mother (he had such a cat-like face similar to hers) but lately his face has been elongating to resembling a bit of his father, as well. That kind of surprised me. Sometimes teenagers look pretty much the same as they did as little kids, just bigger (see: Tina Majorino) and sometimes you get some pretty significant changes.

I am really glad his parents didn't move to Los Angeles.

• Like 1
On 10/30/2023 at 9:45 AM, absnow54 said:

Poor Josh Hutcherson having a relatively successful comeback film (Five Nights at Freddie's) on the cusp of the Hunger Games prequel coming out, and he can't capitalize on it due to the strike. 

Yeah, the male lead from Suits got really excited about the show's renewed popularity after showing up on Netflix so he posted BTS photos from it. He got reminded doing that was a no-no. It does kind of feel ridiculous to do this with shows that have been in the can for more than just a few years but streaming residuals are part of it. 

Edited by methodwriter85

There are worse tragedies but it sucks for Meg Ryan that she can't promote What Happens Next.  (I guess she could have as writer/director.)  I haven't seen it but it but it looks like the type of movie that needs her being charming on talk shows--and interviewers touting her comeback-- to get any sort of traction. 

I am happy for Rachel. It’s a weird coincidence how many films she has been in, where there is a certain aspect of gate keeping from the general public. It worked for West Side Story and she seems to have gotten the approval of Hunger Games fans. 

Kiddo82 said:

Funny.  I was just going to post in another thread about Anne Hathaway but here seems like a good excuse to respond.  I was just thinking how I recently saw Eileen and if this is how Anne Hathaway is pivoting from her ingenue days I am here for it.

Anne Hathaway is in basically the third stage of her career- first Disney ingenue, then hot young leading lady gunning for an Oscar, and now she's heading into what is usually the "Mom to a teenager" stage of her career. Which she is doing, but Elieen is a nice counterbalance to that type of role.

Anne also seems to be embracing a lot of tv mini-series work, which is smart.

Thomasin McKenzie has carved out a really interesting career since her breakout role with Leave No Trace. I can't wait to see her play Keri Strug.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 2
On 12/15/2023 at 4:26 AM, methodwriter85 said:

Thomasin McKenzie has carved out a really interesting career since her breakout role with Leave No Trace. I can't wait to see her play Keri Strug.

I knew nothing about this- but I am interested as well!

• Like 1