Type keyword(s) to search

Future of Movie Stars: Who Will Shine? Who Will Fade Away?

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Ms.Moon said:

Spider-Man: No Way Home is doing well in the pre-orders of tickets and Zendaya is featured prominently on the movie posters.  She’s having a stellar year despite the pandemic.  She’s in Dune (she was featured prominently in the advertising despite being in the latter half for a very limited time) and is also featured prominently in the ads for Spider-Man.  I do hope that she is not the character that gets killed off in the movie but since they are showing her falling prominently in the trailers I am guessing it’s going to be someone else.  Dune is due for a sequel where her character will have a larger role, Sony has confirmed that there will be three new Tom Holland Spider-Man movies so if her character doesn’t die in this one she has two great franchise movies to keep her booked and busy.

well I think they showed Emma Stone's falling too and she did end up getting killed in Spiderman 2, but I also think the MCU won't want to repeat the exact same storyline, especially if there's crossovers. So my money is on Zendaya getting saved at the last minute there. As for the deaths, I think there's some more probable candidates, like Aunt May...this version of Spiderman never had the iconic Uncle Ben death, so she might be that instead. Who knows - for some reason I can't see Spiderman going there, cause the MCU version is so light-hearted, but they might go darker now that Peter is growing up.

Edited by KatWay
On 11/24/2021 at 11:00 PM, memememe76 said:

And with Tick Tick Boom’s critical success and the Princess’ financial success, can Vanessa Hudgeons emerge as the HSM star with the most respectable career?

I'm honestly impressed with Vanessa. A lot of former teen idols just fall out, but she and her team have clearly been working their tails off to keep her in the Game. She reminds me of Hilary Duff in that way.

Vanessa clearly saw an opening with Netflix and took it. Good for her. She's clearly having a ball with her Netflix Christmas movies.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 6

Amandla Stenberg has been cast in The Acolyte one of many Star Wars projects that are currently in development. I am happy to see it.  She is a very good actress and something like Star Wars can really help launch her onto the A-List.  If she doesn’t set fire to her career like Letitia Wright (she is probably going to be fired from Black Panther because she is refusing to get vaccinated and she will not be able to travel to the US unvaccinated and the shooting for the movie will be going on in Georgia) she can go on to enjoy many projects coming her way.  One thing about working with Disney is that once you maintain a good relationship with the company they keep you working.  Ming-Na has been with Disney since the animated Mulan in 1998 she has been working with the company ever since, she is currently in The Book of Boba Fett and The Bad Batch. 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Ms.Moon said:

Amandla Stenberg has been cast in The Acolyte one of many Star Wars projects that are currently in development. I am happy to see it.  She is a very good actress and something like Star Wars can really help launch her onto the A-List.  If she doesn’t set fire to her career like Letitia Wright

What’s interesting is Amandla Stenberg turned down Letitia Wright’s role in Black Panther. 

• Useful 1
12 hours ago, absnow54 said:

What’s interesting is Amandla Stenberg turned down Letitia Wright’s role in Black Panther. 

They may end up recasting the role and I won’t be mad if Amandla gets it this time around because honestly I can’t with Letitia throwing her career away on this nonsense.  There are a very limited number of roles for POC, as a dark skinned black woman she’s limited even further and this is the poor judgment hill she wants to take a stand on?  She’s probably never going to work with Disney after this and that throws a spanner in the works when it comes to future roles because Disney owns a huge share of the Hollywood pie.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

42 minutes ago, Ms.Moon said:

They may end up recasting the role and I won’t be mad if Amandla gets it this time around because honestly I can’t with Letitia throwing her career away on this nonsense.  There are a very limited number of roles for POC, as a dark skinned black woman she’s limited even further and this is the poor judgment hill she wants to take a stand on?  She’s probably never going to work with Disney after this and that throws a spanner in the works when it comes to future roles because Disney owns a huge share of the Hollywood pie.

Letitia will have brought it on herself, if that happens. She was the one tweeting about vaccines containing "luciferase" which meant they were the work of the devil. How she managed to convincingly play a genius scientist is testament to her acting abilities, I guess.

She was already using her social media to push her evangelical religious beliefs on followers before Covid, so it can't have been that shocking to Disney when she turned out to be an anti-vax conspiracy theorist.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Useful 2

It's a shame because I thought she was really good as Shuri. I haven't been keeping up lately but I can't see Disney keeping her around if this is how she is. I remember right after Black Panther I started following her on Instagram but I quit pretty soon. I don't like being smacked with the religious stuff. I follow very few actors and the ones I do follow, I just want to see what they're working on and what pretty dress they wore to whatever. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Letitia will have brought it on herself, if that happens. She was the one tweeting about vaccines containing "luciferase" which meant they were the work of the devil. How she managed to convincingly play a genius scientist is testament to her acting abilities, I guess.

She was already using her social media to push her evangelical religious beliefs on followers before Covid, so it can't have been that shocking to Disney when she turned out to be an anti-vax conspiracy theorist.

I have a sister deep down the evangelical hole and it’s frustrating to deal with.  I would not be surprised if Letitia loses her career behind this and it’s sad because she is a fantastic actress and she is standing in her own way.  

• Love 5

Tanner Buchanan is really adorable and talented, but man is he screwed when he ages out of his cute young teen roles. Dude is soo short. (He claims 5'8" but he looks barely taller than Mary Mouser who is like 5'3.)

Xolo Mariduena seems to be getting a good push- I don't think he's as good as either TB or Jacob Bertrand on Cobra, but I do think he has the look that will age well into leading man status. He's getting set up in Blue Beetle, a superhero movie, so there's some solid betting go on for him.

It seems like  the go to right now for building a career as a young actor is a superhero movie or a horror movie after breakout role in a t.v. streamer series.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 3
On 1/7/2022 at 6:02 PM, methodwriter85 said:

Tanner Buchanan is really adorable and talented, but man is he screwed when he ages out of his cute young teen roles. Dude is soo short. (He claims 5'8" but he looks barely taller than Mary Mouser who is like 5'3.)

Xolo Mariduena seems to be getting a good push- I don't think he's as good as either TB or Jacob Bertrand on Cobra, but I do think he has the look that will age well into leading man status. He's getting set up in Blue Beetle, a superhero movie, so there's some solid betting go on for him.

It seems like  the go to right now for building a career as a young actor is a superhero movie or a horror movie after breakout role in a t.v. streamer series.

If Tanner keeps his baby face, he might be able to pull a Joseph Gordon Levitt or a Melissa Joan Hart- play a teen as long as you possibly can, take a break and come back doing independent roles (Joseph) or fun rom coms that play on nostalgia (Melissa). 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

If Tanner keeps his baby face, he might be able to pull a Joseph Gordon Levitt or a Melissa Joan Hart- play a teen as long as you possibly can, take a break and come back doing independent roles (Joseph) or fun rom coms that play on nostalgia (Melissa). 

My guess is that he'll probably have a horror movie phase era, although I think he's going to try to break into action movies. Which might be hard because of the baby face, but they could work with it.

Tanner does have Disney roots (as do Mary Mouser, Peyton List, and Jacob Bertrand) which does bode well if you avoid the meltdown. Netflix is also really good at keeping their movie/t.v. stars employed.

• Love 1
On 1/7/2022 at 7:02 PM, methodwriter85 said:

That's basically what happened to Josh Hutcherson. He worked a ton as a kid, but then his career stalled once he hit adult roles.

6 hours ago, absnow54 said:

That's basically what happened to Josh Hutcherson. He worked a ton as a kid, but then his career stalled once he hit adult roles.

It's a shame. He's really good. His bit in the Disaster Artist where he was parodying Phillip Haldiman/Denny in the Room was hysterical.

Tanner Buchanan could be lucky and have a Tom Cruise career, but that's a one in million chance. The one with that kind of push behind him right now is Tom Holland anyway.

28 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

It's a shame. He's really good. His bit in the Disaster Artist where he was parodying Phillip Haldiman/Denny in the Room was hysterical.

Tanner Buchanan could be lucky and have a Tom Cruise career, but that's a one in million chance. The one with that kind of push behind him right now is Tom Holland anyway.

Tom Holland is also a trained ballet dancer which gives him a special “edge” for certain types of roles. I am not super familiar with Tanner’s work so I don’t know how good of an actor he is, or what he might grow into in the next 15yrs. I did like him in He’s All That- he brought depth and subtle facial work to the character. 

On 1/12/2022 at 12:15 AM, Ambrosefolly said:

Tanner Buchanan might want to stick with tv series if he wants to be successful as an actor. 

Tom Cruise talk reminds me I wish he would take more character roles as it looks like he doing a shit ton of sequels to his greatest hits. 

Tom Cruise is too big of a star for character roles and seeing him in anything outside Mission Impossible movies is a bit jarring to me.  I think I have heard casting rumors for him to play a variant of Tony Stark in an upcoming Marvel movie which is a bit of the circle being completed because he was the choice for Tony by the suits when Iron Man 1 was being made but Favreau went to bat for RDJ and it really worked out.  

Spider-Man No Way Home is doing gangbusters at the box office still even with Omicron making itself unwelcome everywhere.  According to a couple of the people that I follow on YouTube the follow up movies might not be able to afford Zendaya.  Tom Holland is “cheaper” but that may change soon because of how well this movie is doing and according to how well his next movie outside (Uncharted) the MCU/Spiderverse does.  I guess they can do Peter’s Gwen Stacy arc if they can’t afford Zendaya in the projected follow up Spider-Man films.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Ms.Moon said:

Tom Cruise is too big of a star for character roles and seeing him in anything outside Mission Impossible movies is a bit jarring to me.  I think I have heard casting rumors for him to play a variant of Tony Stark in an upcoming Marvel movie which is a bit of the circle being completed because he was the choice for Tony by the suits when Iron Man 1 was being made but Favreau went to bat for RDJ and it really worked out.  

He was arguably a bigger star when he did Interview with a Vampire. There was Magnolia and Collateral. He was technically a co-star, but played outside of the bland leading man. It might do him some good to surprise people again instead of doing the same old same old, maybe finally get that Oscar he has been after.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
57 minutes ago, Ambrosefolly said:

. It might do him some good to surprise people again instead of doing the same old same old, maybe finally get that Oscar he has been after

Has he, though? I think Tom gave up trying to get an Oscar after his experimental late 90's/early 00's phase with Eyes Wide Shut, Magnolia, Vanilla Sky, and The Last Samurai. (Which screams his attempt at Dances with Wolves.) After War of the Worlds in 2005 he's pretty much stuck to comedies and action movies.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Ms.Moon said:

Tom Cruise is too big of a star for character roles and seeing him in anything outside Mission Impossible movies is a bit jarring to me. 

Does Tropic Thunder count? I probably wouldn't have even recognized him without seeing his name in the credits, and Les Grossman is the second best part of the movie.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 1/8/2022 at 12:02 AM, methodwriter85 said:

Netflix romcoms and slasher movies definitely seem like the easiest target for the Cobra Kai kids. I've never come across any of them before the show (though I've heard the name Peyton List, of which there are apparently two people) but they're all solid, with different strengths and a couple of weaknesses.

Xolo Mariduena is clearly destined for a big career. He ticks so many boxes for modern celebrity, and seems the sort of extrovert who can market himself effectively. If Blue Beetle hits, the sky is the limit for him.

Based on the first three seasons, I'd have said Tanner Buchanan's career wouldn't amount to much more than shallow, pretty boy stuff but, after watching season four, I could easily see him as a franchise action hero, with the presence and easy charisma he displays. While being short needn't be a barrier to that sort of career, I actually don't think he's as short as you're estimating. It looks like he has a few inches on Mouser and on the lady he's in He's All That with.

Jacob Bertrand could be the surprise package of the cast and, with the right breaks, he could start to get some big roles in dramas.

I don't see either Mary Mouser or Peyton List having big, breakout careers. I think they both seem destined for TV and made-for-streaming movies.

Edited by Danny Franks
12 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Xolo Mariduena is clearly destined for a big career. He ticks so many boxes for modern celebrity, and seems the sort of extrovert who can market himself effectively. If Blue Beetle hits, the sky is the limit for him.

Based on the first three seasons, I'd have said Tanner Buchanan's career wouldn't amount to much more than shallow, pretty boy stuff but, after watching season four, I could easily see him as a franchise action hero, with the presence and easy charisma he displays. While being short needn't be a barrier to that sort of career, I actually don't think he's as short as you're estimating. It looks like he has a few inches on Mouser and on the lady he's in He's All That with.

Jacob Bertrand could be the surprise package of the cast and, with the right breaks, he could start to get some big roles in dramas.

I don't see either Mary Mouser or Peyton List having big, breakout careers. I think they both seem destined for TV and made-for-streaming movies.

Agreed. Someone earlier said that people become famous when they fill in a niche, and I can't think of anyone else who looks like Xolo Mariduena in the same age bracket. At the same time, he's got a look that will appeal to mainstream audiences, and will likely age well as he goes into his 20's and then his 30's.

Tanner Buchanan has been like a "Hey, it's that kid" since about 2015-ish...I think he's got a good chance if he can get into the right vehicle. He seems to be doing a lot of t.v. movies now so maybe he'll always have work even if he doesn't become A-list.

Jacob Bertrand is the guy I think is the strongest actor of the show and the one I think could have an interesting career if things fall right for him.

Agreed about Mary Mouser and Peyton List. Honestly, I could see Mary Mouser being really good for Hallmark type stuff. As for Peyton List...Disney couldn't make her famous. If they couldn't do it, I'm not sure Netflix can. Maybe she could wind up with a career similar to Sophia Bush? Like a t.v. soap and then moving on to procedural type shows? 

• Love 1

Mena Massoud is having to resort to cheesy Netflix films after Aladdin and that makes me sad. I remember thinking he was a solid find.

Then again he was screwed with his big break being followed by a massive pandemic shutting everything down. It looks like he still got work, just nothing that hit high profile like Aladdin.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Mena Massoud is having to resort to cheesy Netflix films after Aladdin and that makes me sad. I remember thinking he was a solid find.

Then again he was screwed with his big break being followed by a massive pandemic shutting everything down. It looks like he still got work, just nothing that hit high profile like Aladdin.

In fairness, he was pretty good in the cheesy Netflix movie. He’s still cute AF. Since Disney likes using the same people over and over again, maybe they’ll get off their asses and put him in something else. They should anyway.

• Love 3

I recently watched Sofia Coppola's "Somewhere" and it's really carried by the affecting performances of Elle Fanning and Stephen Dorff. 

Dorff is such an interesting case IMO. His ill-judged potshot at ScarJo notwithstanding, he's made a pretty decent career for himself in the last few years. It looked like he's bound for some sort of stardom after "Backbeat", where he is very good as Stuart Sutcliffe. Then "Blade" seemed to do not much for him either. But in recent years he was very strong in "True Detective" and he's supposed to do good work in "Old Henry". It seemed for a few years like he was fading into obscurity and bad straight-to-video fare and now he's climbed back to a place where he is getting shots at good scripts/projects again. Can't have been easy. 

According to movie gossip that I just saw Sony/Marvel just locked in Tom Holland for another six movies, he’s going to have contractual obligations for other Marvel movies in addition to the six starring roles in further Spider-Man properties.  Sony/Marvel just made almost two billion dollars internationally with his latest movie.  He’s getting a big raise (he made a million per movie on his first contract according to the sources that I am quoting). That’s great for him.  I think he’s going to be tied up in the Spider-Man business for many years to come he is going to try to break out of this role but he’s going to be tied to it for years as well.  

• Love 1
On 1/16/2022 at 11:39 PM, Ms.Moon said:

According to a couple of the people that I follow on YouTube the follow up movies might not be able to afford Zendaya.  Tom Holland is “cheaper” but that may change soon because of how well this movie is doing and according to how well his next movie outside (Uncharted) the MCU/Spiderverse does.  I guess they can do Peter’s Gwen Stacy arc if they can’t afford Zendaya in the projected follow up Spider-Man films.

That's backwards logic. It's Disney. They can afford anyone they want. I've seen this argument before and one just needs to dig a little deeper, to see the wishful thinking of the fans who want Peter Parker to have a white love interest. 

Edited by ursula
  • Love 5

If they really are going to do six more movies with him I can imagine Zendaya's MJ not necessarily being the love interest in all of them. They might do Gwen or Black Cat in one or two, who knows.

1 hour ago, ruby24 said:

If they really are going to do six more movies with him I can imagine Zendaya's MJ not necessarily being the love interest in all of them. They might do Gwen or Black Cat in one or two, who knows.

MJ is endgame relationship so she may come back in future movies towards the end if they want to bring in Black Cat or Gwen for some of his middle movies, especially if they can branch out those characters into their own franchises.  Zendaya is on her way to becoming a name actress I don’t think they will completely write her out but expanding the Spiderverse is pretty much what Sony wants since it’s making them money and every character that can do that for them will be attempted.

2 hours ago, ursula said:

That's backwards logic. It's Disney. They can afford anyone they want. I've seen this argument before and one just needs to dig a little deeper, to see the wishful thinking of the fans who want Peter Parker to have a white love interest. 

It’s Sony/Marvel, Sony is fronting a larger amount of money to the production.  I don’t know what salaries look like for the supporting cast but I do think that both Tom and Zendaya’s stars are on the rise.  She is making moves in Hollywood and has a great deal of range.  Sony would be foolish to let her go.  I think that there’ll room for character growth if the story allows Peter and MJ to break up, grow up a little more then get back together.  If Sony wants to expand the Spiderverse and bring in Gwen Stacy or Black Cat they have six movies to do that.  Peter and MJ are the endgame couple but they can bring in Gwen or Felicia to expand the Spiderverse with Spider Gwen or Black Cat.  

On 1/23/2022 at 5:13 AM, katha said:

I recently watched Sofia Coppola's "Somewhere" and it's really carried by the affecting performances of Elle Fanning and Stephen Dorff. 

Dorff is such an interesting case IMO. His ill-judged potshot at ScarJo notwithstanding, he's made a pretty decent career for himself in the last few years. It looked like he's bound for some sort of stardom after "Backbeat", where he is very good as Stuart Sutcliffe. Then "Blade" seemed to do not much for him either. But in recent years he was very strong in "True Detective" and he's supposed to do good work in "Old Henry". It seemed for a few years like he was fading into obscurity and bad straight-to-video fare and now he's climbed back to a place where he is getting shots at good scripts/projects again. Can't have been easy. 

I've always jokingly called Stephen Dorff the Poor Man's Ethan Hawke. LOL. Similar look, same age, and both were kind of doing the edgy young man roles in the same era. But Ethan Hawke got brought to a new level when Training Day happened and Stephen Dorff never really got to have that moment when he went from 90's pretty boy to 2000's leading man like Ethan Hawke did.

At one point he was resorting to commercials for vaping. Kinda reminded of Elisabeth Moss's low point when she was hawking for Excederin, shortly before Mad Men revived her career. 

Stephen/Ethan kind of remind of Ben Foster/Ryan Gosling. Both have similar qualities, came up around the same time, did similar edgy young man roles, yet Ryan became an established leading man while Ben's been more obscure. In Ryan's case, it was the Notebook that took him there.

15 hours ago, ruby24 said:

MJ is going to be Peter's love interest for the rest of the MCU era just as Pepper was Tony's.  The MCU isn't the DC/CWTV with a revolving door of love interests and love triangles. I'm more interested in the movies exploring Michelle Jones Watson. Despite 3 movies, she is still a very mysterious character.

Although I'm actually interested in seeing this universe's version of Gwen Stacy. What I wonder/worry is if Sony will be interested in having 2 "Gwen Stacys" - in the MCU and in the Spiderverse? I suspect that Gwen and Miles Morales will be a package deal i.e. both characters will be introduced at the same time. Either as heroes from another dimension as the MCU phases build up to another multi-verse showdown... or as the next generation of Spider-people.

13 hours ago, Ms.Moon said:

MJ is endgame relationship so she may come back in future movies towards the end if they want to bring in Black Cat or Gwen for some of his middle movies, especially if they can branch out those characters into their own franchises.  

Unlikely that they'll write MJ out for an entire movie(s). Her character is too important, and far too popular to do that. The Black Dahlia is a clue to what they're planning for her, and if the predictions are right, she'll be the MCU's version of Black Cat. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, ursula said:

MJ is going to be Peter's love interest for the rest of the MCU era just as Pepper was Tony's.  The MCU isn't the DC/CWTV with a revolving door of love interests and love triangles. I'm more interested in the movies exploring Michelle Jones Watson. Despite 3 movies, she is still a very mysterious character.

Although I'm actually interested in seeing this universe's version of Gwen Stacy. What I wonder/worry is if Sony will be interested in having 2 "Gwen Stacys" - in the MCU and in the Spiderverse? I suspect that Gwen and Miles Morales will be a package deal i.e. both characters will be introduced at the same time. Either as heroes from another dimension as the MCU phases build up to another multi-verse showdown... or as the next generation of Spider-people.

Unlikely that they'll write MJ out for an entire movie(s). Her character is too important, and far too popular to do that. The Black Dahlia is a clue to what they're planning for her, and if the predictions are right, she'll be the MCU's version of Black Cat. 

I did not think that they would make Zendaya’s MJ into Black Cat but that would be awesome now that I think of it.  Zendaya is a fantastic actress I think she would be amazing as Black Cat.  

• Love 2
On 1/25/2022 at 4:05 PM, methodwriter85 said:

Stephen Dorff never really got to have that moment when he went from 90's pretty boy to 2000's leading man like Ethan Hawke did.

His early 90s career was indeed going pretty strong, as he got good critical notice for his big break in The Power of One and Backbeat. It came as a surprise that he was American, especially as those roles required specific accents (English by way of South African, English by way of Liverpool, respectively) and Stephen nailed them.

Then in 1994, he gave an interview to Movieline magazine (Movieline was like snarky Internet before the Internet. I miss you, Movieline!) and he burned bridges by being too frank about his peers at that time. The juicy excerpts (bold sections by me): 

Ethan Hawke? “I wasn’t with CAA, but I got The Power of One over all the fucking Ethan Hawkes and Sean Astins. It’s the actor that gets the job. Big agencies, hype–that’s all whack.”

Emilio Estevez, with whom he did Judgment Night? “I accept him for what he is,” he says, with a shrug. “He’s got this personality people like. Whatever. I made that movie because my agents at ICM were saying I needed to do something big and commercial; nothing else was going on and I needed to make some money. I didn’t play all that bullshit that everybody else in it was playing. It was so simple and stupid, I could have phoned in the fucker.”

Chris O’Donnell? “A good actor who brought a natural, ‘Golly gee,’ wide-eyed thing to Scent of a Woman, but I sure don’t jump out of my seat when I watch him. And, for this article, I don’t want to do boring photos like he did for Movieline.”

Juliette Lewis, whom I tell him I like, but just wish she’d quit twitching and eating her hair? “I’ve seen Juliette Lewis too many times. I like her natural ability to perform, but what is that, man, with her hair? It’s being scared of letting out what you are.”

Christian Slater, who recently replaced the late River Phoenix in Interview With the Vampire? “[Producer] Stephen Woolley and Neil Jordan really wanted me for that. But David Geffen [who developed the project] just wants as many big names as possible and he wanted Slater. He is so wrong for the role, because the kid should be wide-eyed and passionate. He’ll be going, ‘Well, uh…'” Here Dorff does a dead-on sarcastic, nasal Slater riff, then says, “I don’t want to be compared with somebody, take somebody’s place. The show must go on and it’s not anybody’s fault what happened to River Phoenix but his.”

After a moment, Dorff adds, “I’ve always been compared to River Phoenix. Similar vulnerability. That’s why his death really affected me. He is the only one I grew up respecting, the one guy I looked up to. I was 12 when I went up for Stand By Me, he was 15. And we were just about to play brothers in a movie with Susan Sarandon.

Those bridges? Are scorched. He might have been sharing sentiments also held by others, but you can't really say them out loud like that on the record. Movieline was read by most of the industry back then, and these statements may have affected the career he had/would have had in the entertainment industry. 

• Useful 3
20 minutes ago, pancake bacon said:

Those bridges? Are scorched. He might have been sharing sentiments also held by others, but you can't really say them out loud like that on the record. Movieline was read by most of the industry back then, and these statements may have affected the career he had/would have had in the entertainment industry. 

Wow, I did not know about that. That explains a lot.

J. Lo did a similar "burning bridges" interview in 1998 and I remember noting that AFTER she did it, she was pretty much never able to get higher quality roles as opposed to the ones that first established her like Selena and Out of Sight.

That said, she did chug herself along in her romcoms and Lifetime-with-a-budget thrillers to the point that at 50-something she's still a name and she even got her "Oh, yeah she can act" reminder with Hustlers that got her a Golden Globe (and suggested Hollywood has finally forgiven her) but still...you gotta wonder what her career might have looked like if she had been better at playing ball.

Man, though, it is so hard to imagine any currently young actor making a faux paus like that. If you ever notice or follow the social media/promotions young stars of various movies/t.v. shows do, they ALWAYS gush over each other and are all, "Yeah, we totes luv each other and we're all best friends!" 

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

J. Lo did a similar "burning bridges" interview in 1998 and I remember noting that AFTER she did it, she was pretty much never able to get higher quality roles as opposed to the ones that first established her like Selena and Out of Sight.

A Movieline interview was the culprit for this too! Movieline really knew how to get the goods! And you're right: Jennifer Lopez might have gone on to have a different kind of movie career based on Selena and Out of Sight), but post this interview ended up on a path that was more pop-driven, and directed more effort on her singing. 

The whole interview is pretty juicy, but here are some tasty experts (once again, bold type is mine):

Cameron Diaz? "A lucky model who's been given a lot of opportunities I just wish she would have done more with. She's beautiful and has a great presence, though, and in My Best Friend's Wedding, I thought, 'When directed, she can be good.'" 

Gwyneth Paltrow? "Tell me what she's been in? I swear to God, I don't remember anything she was in. Some people get hot by association. I heard more about her and Brad Pitt than I ever heard about her work." 

Claire Danes? "A good actress. Her emotional and inner life are available to her, which is a good start. But I feel like I see a lot of the same thing with every character she does. She's not that way in U-Turn, though." 

Winona Ryder? "I was never a big fan of hers. In Hollywood she's revered, she gets nominated for Oscars, but I've never heard anyone in the public or among my friends say, 'Oh, I love her.' She's cute and talented, though, and I'd like her just for looking like my older sister, Leslie." 

Madonna? "Do I think she's a great performer? Yeah. Do I think she's a great actress? No. Acting is what I do, so I'm harder on people when they say, 'Oh, I can do that--I can act.' I'm like, 'Hey, don't spit on my craft.'"

• LOL 2

Winona Ryder always kinda struck me as an introvert and I imagine that did not endear people to her. When her career started to skid, she didn't exactly have directors/fellow thespians trying to go to bat for her. I think that's what J. Lo was trying to say.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Man, though, it is so hard to imagine any currently young actor making a faux paus like that. If you ever notice or follow the social media/promotions young stars of various movies/t.v. shows do, they ALWAYS gush over each other and are all, "Yeah, we totes luv each other and we're all best friends!"

Maybe it's the world becoming increasingly pro-PC and nobody wanting to get cancelled, but I think this is actually a good thing. I don't know if those opinions were honest, but I can tell they were arrogant and I won't want to work with someone like that. I am not in the least surprised that their careers tanked after that. To put it crudely, don't poop where you eat. 

• Useful 2
3 hours ago, ursula said:

Maybe it's the world becoming increasingly pro-PC and nobody wanting to get cancelled, but I think this is actually a good thing. I don't know if those opinions were honest, but I can tell they were arrogant and I won't want to work with someone like that. I am not in the least surprised that their careers tanked after that. To put it crudely, don't poop where you eat. 

It still baffles me to this day how Katherine Heigl threw away the A-list level career she was being primed for. Like, it was right there. Right now she could be starring in Marvel movies but she's not because she couldn't stop shitting on the people who made her famous. She's stuck in B-movies and tv instead. It was kind of sad to watch Firefly Lane and remember the charisma she has and how much potential got wasted.

• Love 3
51 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

It was kind of sad to watch Firefly Lane and remember the charisma she has and how much potential got wasted.

NGL, it's hard for me to feel sorry for the people in these stories. There's a lot of talent in Hollywood and very little opportunity. If you're dumb enough not to practise Kindergarten manners and you wreck your own career, that's on you. 

• Love 7

Especially when Katherine is like, cookie-cutter MADE for Hollywood with her Barbie looks.  But, she was just being herself and I don't really begrudge her those opinions.  Honestly, I agree with a lot that she's said in the past, LOL.  I think she knew the risks and took them anyway. 

J.Lo is a very different case to me.  She was completely new on the scene and she thought that she was Queen of Hollywood already.  She took shots at actors she wasn't even working with.  And looooo and beholllld most of them were WOMEN.  Young, popular, attractive women in her age cohort.  OF COURSE.  I'm completely baffled as to why she did that interview. 

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3

True about Katherine. She has been working as an actress since she was 12. By the time she blew up her career, she was just about twenty years into it. I think she thought she had been established enough that her career could withstand being honest. I also think Katherine Heigl was trying to be "edgy" and thought trashing her romcoms and Grey's Anatomy would somehow convince Hollywood to cast her in like a Marilyn Monroe biopic or something. 

• Love 1

What was the inexusable thing Heigl said, again? I haven't paid much attention to her, because I've seen maybe two movies with her, but from the reactions I've seen, I would think she called every director in Hollywood a c*nt or something. Yet the only thing I found was that she called a sexist movie she starred in a sexist movie and asked not to be considered for an Emmy when she thought she didn't have much of a script to work with. What did I miss?

• Love 2

I think the thing that really killed her career was that her movies tanked at the box office.  She could have gotten past people being offended by what she said if she had a track record of being a box office money maker.  In the end the people on the business side didn’t want to work with her because of what she said and low box office performance and audiences weren’t interested in watching her either.  She did have multiple chances with movies and tv shows but never took off.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Avabelle said:

Was it not that she slated Knocked Up for being sexist while promoting The Ugly Truth which was about 40 times more sexist?

I think her being perceived as a hypocrite for that was part of the issue.  In the business side I think she renewed her contract with Grey’s Anatomy but then asked to be released so she could be home with her child then did a bunch of movies without taking time off.  

2 hours ago, Luckylyn said:

I think her being perceived as a hypocrite for that was part of the issue.  In the business side I think she renewed her contract with Grey’s Anatomy but then asked to be released so she could be home with her child then did a bunch of movies without taking time off.  

I wouldn't want to hire someone with that track record. Someone who will take the millions for the job then turn around and bash the project, someone who will sign a contract and immediately want to break it. She was just not special enough to get away with that kind of behaviour and have people still want to hire her. 

The bit about the Emmy was just odd. I think she was going for integrity, thinking she shouldn't be nominated because she didn't earn it, but it came off as ingratitude, as more "well, they didn't write enough for me to shine". Awards are more political/networking than about talent or deserving them. She was either incredibly naïve about it, or incredibly not business savvy. Either way, not someone I think most people would want to hire. It's not like her name alone will bring in huge numbers so why not hire another generically pretty blonde who is way less of a PR risk. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

She was just not special enough to get away with that kind of behaviour and have people still want to hire

That reminds me of Lindsay Lohan, who really was that special and everyone tried to give her chance after chance to get it together until she eventually decided to drop out and live in Dubai. think Netflix is trying with her with some Christmas movie-  they seem to be big on doing then with former teen actors from the 2000's like Emma Roberts, Nina Dobrev, Victoria Justice, Vanessa Hudgens, and now Lindsay Lohan.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Luckylyn said:

She also took a massive pay rise to come back as a regular and then decided she wanted out. When the writers wrote her exit episode they got a call at the 11th hour that she wasn’t returning. No reason. She just wouldn’t film her final episode so they were fucked in that they had to rewrite everything at the very last minute.

She really burned all her bridges.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Avabelle said:

She also took a massive pay rise to come back as a regular and then decided she wanted out. When the writers wrote her exit episode they got a call at the 11th hour that she wasn’t returning. No reason. She just wouldn’t film her final episode so they were fucked in that they had to rewrite everything at the very last minute.

She really burned all her bridges.

When her movie career bombed and she asked to return to Grey’s Anatomy, I wasn’t surprised they told her no.  It must have been humbling for her to try to get back on a show whose writing she disparaged only for them to say “Nope”. 

• Love 4