Type keyword(s) to search

Future of Movie Stars: Who Will Shine? Who Will Fade Away?

• Start Topic

Well, I'm glad that we have finally reached equality in treatment of male and female actors and Robert Pattinson has likewise tanked his career by his comments about the Twilight franchise and will never work again in any high profile movie, certainly not in any major franchise. Oh, wait.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

Well, I'm glad that we have finally reached equality in treatment of male and female actors and Robert Pattinson has likewise tanked his career by his comments about the Twilight franchise and will never work again in any high profile movie, certainly not in any major franchise. Oh, wait.

I don't know what he said and have never seen Twilight but is the difference there that everyone in Hollywood knew that Twilight was garbage, kind of like when Clooney trashes Batman?

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

Yeah, I'm not sure that's a good parallel. There were (are?) plenty of complaints when Pattinson was cast as Batman, at least partly because he trashed Twilight so hard, but Twilight really was not good. Kristen Stewart managed to salvage a career for herself despite being part of the franchise, so I'm not sure I begrudge Pattinson for doing the same no matter what he said.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I don't know what he said and have never seen Twilight but is the difference there that everyone in Hollywood knew that Twilight was garbage, kind of like when Clooney trashes Batman?

All you have to do is type in "pattinson twilight" into youtube search, and some of the first results will be compilations of him dunking on the franchise. He's hilarious!

But I also don't think the comparison to Heigl is equal because Twilight needed Pattison more than Grey's needed Heigl. However, I agree that sexism may play a part here.

• Love 3

I remember the lead guy in the movie I am Number 4 tanked his career by saying something stupid in an interview and getting a reputation for being difficult.  I remember he was in the first Magic Mike and pointedly not asked to return for the second one.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Luckylyn said:

I remember the lead guy in the movie I am Number 4 tanked his career by saying something stupid in an interview and getting a reputation for being difficult.  I remember he was in the first Magic Mike and pointedly not asked to return for the second one.  

Alex Pettyfer. The guy who was given a big career push in 2011-2012 because he looked like an Abercrombie and Fitch model, and pissed off everyone he came across and burned down an unbelievable amount of bridges. And all before the age of 23!

He's the last big flameout I can think of.

Miles Teller kind of flamed out because he doesn't have the best rep and his movies haven't done that well, yet he's still get cast in big movies so it's kind of a toss-up. He is, however, actually really good so that's mainly why Hollywood seems to keep giving him chances.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 7

With Pattinson I think it helped that he did enough movies that were smaller and allowed him to show that he really does have talent. I know a ton of people who thought he was nothing more than a joke based solely on Twilight so him trashing that franchise wasn't going to hurt him any more than starring it in did. Many of those same people were surprised to find how talented he really is when they saw him in movies like The Lighthouse and are now looking forward to him playing Batman.

I wonder If Heigl would have made the same choices if her mom weren't her manager. With someone else maybe she would have gone the indie route to build her reputation rather than the rom-com route to stardom. I swear I hear more about celebs having career issues when they're represented by family (eg, Tom Cruise's couch jumping which was when his sister was in charge of his PR and she was subsequently fired after people responded with mockery, Kit Culkin, Joe Jackson) so that may be the root cause of her choices.

Wow, Alex Pettyfer. Talk about burning bridges. Not a bad actor but he believed himself irreplaceable and Hollywood easily proved him wrong. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

I don't agree with the narrative that her "career was ruined" by these comments.  It wasn't.  She was cast in movies after this, including what I'm sure she hoped would be a franchise in Stephanie Plum. She also has continuously been cast in numerous TV shows even though rumors of her being a bit of a diva have followed her since Roswell.  

It only looks like she's being "punished" because neither the movies or the TV shows achieved anywhere near the popularity or critical acclaim of her two biggest success stories: Grey's Anatomy and Knocked Up.

And she disrespected both of those 'career defining projects.'  Her right, of course, but I think she had more to lose by making those comments than Pattison did with his.  Katherine insulted Shonda Rhimes and Judd Apatow. Both of them prolific creators who reuse cast. 

All due respect to the Twilight directors and producers, many of whom have had decent careers, but that movie franchise is pretty much their career highlight. They aren't kingmakers so if any of them decide not to work with Pattison again because his comments...eh.  It's not the same opportunity cost of insulting Shonda Rhimes and Judd Apatow.

She was also around 30 years old when she made her comments. Pattison was in his early 20s when he did Twilight.

I think sexism might get her more vitriol than she deserves but she's a pretty blonde woman.  Hollywood kept hiring her.

• Love 9
13 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Alex Pettyfer. The guy who was given a big career push in 2011-2012 because he looked like an Abercrombie and Fitch model, and pissed off everyone he came across and burned down an unbelievable amount of bridges. And all before the age of 23!

He's the last big flameout I can think of.

Miles Teller kind of flamed out because he doesn't have the best rep and his movies haven't done that well, yet he's still get cast in big movies so it's kind of a toss-up. He is, however, actually really good so that's mainly why Hollywood seems to keep giving him chances.

I would add Shia LaBeouf to the list. I agree Miles Teller is borderline, but then he pops up in a Taylor Swift music video, and you're like "Wait, do people hate him or not?"

• Love 1
On 2/3/2022 at 8:10 PM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Yeah, I'm not sure that's a good parallel. There were (are?) plenty of complaints when Pattinson was cast as Batman, at least partly because he trashed Twilight so hard, but Twilight really was not good. Kristen Stewart managed to salvage a career for herself despite being part of the franchise, so I'm not sure I begrudge Pattinson for doing the same no matter what he said.

While Knocked Up was a masterpiece, I am sure.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
On 2/3/2022 at 7:46 PM, methodwriter85 said:

I don't get why they didn't cast him for the Elvis biopic and they cast Austin Butler instead.  Miles looks wayyyyyy more the part.  Elvis fans, what say you?  

I like the movie "Twilight" and I'm so sick of everyone talking like it's fact that the movie is shit.  🙄

50 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

Knocked up was actually pretty good. No masterpiece but definitely better then Twilight.

I'd call them on par.  I enjoy both movies and I rate neither to be a masterpiece.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
14 hours ago, absnow54 said:

I would add Shia LaBeouf to the list. I agree Miles Teller is borderline, but then he pops up in a Taylor Swift music video, and you're like "Wait, do people hate him or not?"

Shia had this comeback momentum going on with "Honey Boy" and then he just crashed. I knew things weren't right with him because he was absolutely disturbing to watch in the Fast Times At Ridgemont High live table read. I don't think that was acting, at all. I mean, I hope it was, but judging by how things have been panning out for him, I don't think it was.

Miles was so set for a prestigious career after The Spectacular Now (a wonderful indie) and Whiplash, but things just haven't really worked out since then.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Miles was so set for a prestigious career after The Spectacular Now (a wonderful indie) and Whiplash

What stands out to me even now is that J.K. Simmons called Teller a 'slappable little bastard' after working with him on Whiplash. Simmons seems like such a chill guy in real life that you have to wonder what in the world happened to bring him to that conclusion.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 2/3/2022 at 11:30 AM, JustHereForFood said:

Not even close. Pattinson didn't break contracts and turn down nominations because the writing was not "good enough" for his massive talent. He didn't make unreasonable demands, at the inconvenience of his bosses and co-workers, only to leave them hanging anyway. People didn't just respond to what Katherine/Pattison said, but what they did

A better comparison would be with Isaiah Washington. 

Edited by ursula
  • Love 5

He's more "T.V. star" as opposed to "Movie Star", but I'm really happy for Alan Ritchson finding success with Jack Reacher. He's been steadily plugging away in t.v. (and movies) for almost 20 years now and I've always found him an immensely appealing scene stealer. It's great to see him get a starring vehicle.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1
On 2/1/2022 at 1:42 AM, methodwriter85 said:

That said, she did chug herself along in her romcoms and Lifetime-with-a-budget thrillers to the point that at 50-something she's still a name and she even got her "Oh, yeah she can act" reminder with Hustlers that got her a Golden Globe (and suggested Hollywood has finally forgiven her) but still...you gotta wonder what her career might have looked like if she had been better at playing ball.

If they had really forgiven her, then she would’ve been nominated for an Academy Award for her work in Hustlers. She was great in that movie. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: if it had been a white actress playing that part, she would’ve been nominated. The Academy has nominated actresses for playing parts like that in the past. I “wonder” what was different here? Personally, I think she should go the Reese Witherspoon route and start producing her own films. Maybe then we’ll see her do movies such as Out of Sight again. I love that movie.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, PepSinger said:

if it had been a white actress playing that part, she would’ve been nominated.

Except this feeds into whether or not someone like Frances McDormand "deserved" another Oscar. I haven't seen Hustlers, but even if Lopez is awesome in it, it's no one's fault but hers that she over-valued herself before she was really established and took shots at a bunch of other actresses. Lopez is fifty-two and McDormand is sixty-four, and the latter is essentially a character actress who is really damned good at bringing gravitas to material that could practically be considered slapstick. They have different skill sets and that's okay, and maybe it's a by-product of me getting older that I'm a little like, "Hey..." over it. I guess if Lopez was a white actress she'd have to take responsibility for where her career is now instead of where it should be.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

He's more "T.V. star" as opposed to "Movie Star", but I'm really happy for Alan Ritchson finding success with Jack Reacher. He's been steadily plugging away in t.v. (and movies) for almost 20 years now and I've always found him an immensely appealing scene stealer. It's great to see him get a starring vehicle.

I had only seen him in his brief appearance in Catching Fire, so I was kind of amazed by how funny he was when he showed up as a Young Scully on Brooklyn 99.

38 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I haven't seen Hustlers, but even if Lopez is awesome in it, it's no one's fault but hers that she over-valued herself before she was really established and took shots at a bunch of other actresses. Lopez is fifty-two and McDormand is sixty-four, and the latter is essentially a character actress who is really damned good at bringing gravitas to material that could practically be considered slapstick. They have different skill sets and that's okay, and maybe it's a by-product of me getting older that I'm a little like, "Hey..." over it. I guess if Lopez was a white actress she'd have to take responsibility for where her career is now instead of where it should be.

I’m so confused. Where and when exactly has Jennifer Lopez said that she doesn’t like where her career is? Everyone is making the assumption that she isn’t happy with her career. If I were her, I’d be damn pleased with it. I also don’t understand the implication of her not having to take responsibility for where her career is because she’s not white. She is responsible for where her career is, and I respect what she’s done professionally. I also disagree with the idea that she gets a pass because of her heritage; if anything, it’s the opposite. My point in previous post if it wasn’t clear enough was that that type of role has been recognized by the Academy previously, but it was somehow different because she’s not white. I stand by that statement.

ETA: if the academy can find it in themselves to nominate child rapists and molesters, then I think they can forgive the Puerto Rican-American female actor for giving some shitty quotes in an interview over 20 years ago.

Edited by PepSinger
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Personally, I wouldn't have nominated her for Hustlers.  I think I might have nominated Constance Wu though.  I would have for Out of Sight.  I haven't seen Selena.  

Interesting that Soderbergh never worked with J.Lo again, but obviously worked with Clooney and Cheadle like 100 times since then.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Tom Holland’s charisma has made Uncharted a hit.  Every review I have seen of the movie Holland’s acting has been raved about.  He’s had a hit with Spider-Man No Way Home 3rd highest domestic box office knocked Avatar out of that spot and new #1 pandemic box office with Uncharted.  I think he’s on his way to having a fantastic career he’s a star with two successful movie franchises under his belt.  I think he’s going to do well since he’s still got six Spider-Man movies pending and he’s also going to be contracted to be in other MCU movies.  He’s going to be expensive but it seems that he’s going to be worth it to Sony to lock him in for his future projects.  I wish him well of it he’s had a few clunkers behind him but he’s course corrected and is on his way to becoming a NAME STAR actor he’s got the talent and success to get good scripts and more success.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Ms.Moon said:

Tom Holland’s charisma has made Uncharted a hit.

I saw him in an interview before actually seeing him act and was struck by his charisma. Fortunately he turned out to have great acting chops as well. He just radiates positivity. he seems like a good, decent guy. Good looking but in a more approachable way a traditional "Hollywood Hottie", great sense of humor. And he's acted against some heavy hitters and held his own. I hope he retains that down to Earth boyish charm and gets the career he wants. I'm a fan. 

• Love 4

I like Tom Holland, and I hope he finds successful projects outside of Spider-man, but maybe I'm on the wrong side of the internet with regards to his star power? The success of Spider-man: No Way Home seems to have hinged on having all three Spideys, and I'm not sure it would have been a mega hit had Tobey and Andrew not shown up. And I saw way more buzz around Andrew Garfield when No Way Home was released. Tom is a great Spider-man, but I think his job security in the role is because he's woven in with the MCU. Still, I'm very happy for his success, especially since he's not cut from the typical "leading man" mold. 

• Love 7
On 3/7/2022 at 9:20 PM, kiddo82 said:

I said this after Mank came out and I'll say it again with The Dropout.  I am so, so happy for Amanda Seyfried.  

Especially given that her "type" (the cute peppy blonde ingenue) is usually the kind that gets booted out of Hollywood as soon as they're over 30. I always thought it was kind of fun how Amanda was able to play both the girl next door and the minx pretty well.

On 2/23/2022 at 1:49 PM, absnow54 said:

I saw way more buzz around Andrew Garfield when No Way Home was released.

Andrew Garfield has had a great year with Tik Tik Boom and No Way Home. As someone who was outraged he wasn't nominated for the Social Network, I am happy for his continued success.

• Love 4

An analysis of Kurt Russell's early days as a teen idol for Disney.

If you think about it, he really is such an outlier. An active actor in his 70's who started acting at around 11 years old, had a teen idol career until he was about 24, successfully transitioned to darker leading man parts, had a steady run of big hits during the 80's and 90's, and still works today in character parts as a mature older man now. All of this without any major scandals or embarrassments. I think it really helps that Kurt doesn't seem to have had any kind of egomaniac rep as opposed to someone like Warren Beatty. (My god, I still don't know how Hollywood didn't kick Warren out earlier than they did.) 

Anyway the same year he completed his Dexter Riley trilogy, he went on to play mass shooting killer Charlie Whitman in a t.v. movie called Deadly Tower. Nothing says "I'm done with this cleancut boy-next-role Disney roles" than playing a psychotic killer, right? LOL The girls pick strippers/hookers while the boys pick murderers. Or they both pick drug addicts. That's a biggie. LOL

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

Ana de Armas is a curious case here, I think. She was on the verge of a big breakout after "Knives Out" and then the pandemic happened and destroyed all her momentum IMO. Her stint in the Bond franchise only came out two years later instead of right after her good run with the Rian Johnson flick. That Ben Affleck movie is goofy, but it might not have much mattered for her trajectory if it could have been hidden somewhere in the big Bond press. Now it's prominently embarassing... 

I think it was a really big mistake for her to do those Pap walks with Ben Affleck every single day during the pandemic.  It made her seem incredibly desperate.

She does have the Marilyn Monroe movie coming out later.  "Blonde". 

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

I hope Ana de Armas's career doesn't fizzle out. She's a good actress; like the aforementioned Amanda Seyfried, she's equally adept at playing the plucky good girl (Knives Out) and sexier, more worldly parts (No Time to Die). Dating and starring in one not-so-great movie with a charisma vacuum like Ben Affleck shouldn't negate that (if Jennifer Lopez can survive, so can de Armas).

Heck, I had to be reminded just now of Deep Water's existence, so it's probably not doomed to have the same notoriety as Gigli.

• Love 2

I just saw "Deep Water".  I liked it a lot and I really liked Ana in it!  But, looking at reviews online, it is getting very bad reviews, LOL.

The Bond part was soooooooo small.  That kind of thing just annoys me more than anything.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

I honestly spent Knives Out thinking Ana was former Switched At Birth star Vanessa Marano and being thrilled she had such a good part in a good movie. I was disappointed to learn it wasn't Vanessa because I've been rooting for her. LOL

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I honestly spent Knives Out thinking Ana was former Switched At Birth star Vanessa Marano and being thrilled she had such a good part in a good movie. I was disappointed to learn it wasn't Vanessa because I've been rooting for her. LOL

Vanessa's sister Laura is very talented too!  I saw her in some shitty movie with Noah Centineo.  LOL.  

On 3/21/2022 at 12:14 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Vanessa's sister Laura is very talented too!  I saw her in some shitty movie with Noah Centineo.  LOL.  

Speaking of, hopefully Black Adam does well for Noah Centineo, because he's burned off pretty much all his momentum from the "All the Boys" franchise.

On 3/22/2022 at 3:05 PM, absnow54 said:

Speaking of, hopefully Black Adam does well for Noah Centineo, because he's burned off pretty much all his momentum from the "All the Boys" franchise.

I mean, he hasn't really proven himself in anything. Jacob Elordi proved he can really act on Euphoria but Noah hasn't had anything that has asked him to be anything but the cute boy next door. I think it also helps that Jacob is really shy from the media so he's got more of mystique going for him than Noah does. 

Hopefully Noah does find that role that takes him on to the next phase. I do think with how varied the media landscape is these days, it's possible for him to find a good role as opposed to the 60's/70's teen idols that were screwed as soon as they were too old to play 17.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, ellenr33 said:

The more I am seeing of Elle Fanning the more talented she is looking to me. I thought her sister was a good actress but Elle Fanning has been lighting up the screen for me! 

She is so fantastic on The Great and The Girl from the Plainville. Fanning isn't the typical, blandly appealing ingenue. I hope she has a nice, long career. 

• Love 3
On 3/30/2022 at 4:32 PM, Wiendish Fitch said:

She is so fantastic on The Great and The Girl from the Plainville. Fanning isn't the typical, blandly appealing ingenue. I hope she has a nice, long career. 

She reminds me of Reese Witherspoon in that regard. They both look like they should be, and they can play that if the part calls for it, but they both have something more.

Speaking of The Girl From Plainville, I really liked her co-star Colton Ryan. I don't know if he's destined for greatness, but he made Conrad both really likeable yet really messed up. Definitely a nice find, but he's gotta play like a comedy next. LOL

Plus he can sing, so that's always a plus for me. 

On 3/30/2022 at 9:11 PM, ellenr33 said:

The more I am seeing of Elle Fanning the more talented she is looking to me. I thought her sister was a good actress but Elle Fanning has been lighting up the screen for me! 

The first time I saw her, in Super 8, I was sure she would have a big career. She's so good in that movie, at twelve years old, and really controls every scene she's in.

Now, ten years later, she's effortlessly heading a very talented cast in The Great, and going toe-to-toe with Nicholas Hoult's absurdly charismatic performances.

I kind of want to see an Elle Fanning/Hailee Steinfeld buddy cop movie.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 1/31/2022 at 10:42 PM, methodwriter85 said:

Wow, I did not know about that. That explains a lot.

J. Lo did a similar "burning bridges" interview in 1998 and I remember noting that AFTER she did it, she was pretty much never able to get higher quality roles as opposed to the ones that first established her like Selena and Out of Sight.

That said, she did chug herself along in her romcoms and Lifetime-with-a-budget thrillers to the point that at 50-something she's still a name and she even got her "Oh, yeah she can act" reminder with Hustlers that got her a Golden Globe (and suggested Hollywood has finally forgiven her) but still...you gotta wonder what her career might have looked like if she had been better at playing ball.

Man, though, it is so hard to imagine any currently young actor making a faux paus like that. If you ever notice or follow the social media/promotions young stars of various movies/t.v. shows do, they ALWAYS gush over each other and are all, "Yeah, we totes luv each other and we're all best friends!" 

Maybe I'm nuancing it , but the difference with JLO is that she was dissing some of her fellow female actors, so there's a difference between that and knocking your movie or producer or writers on a project  or even  getting a reputation of being difficult to work with on set.   While I'm sure that interview didn't make her look good but it's hard to believe that derailed her career all by itself.    Also it's not as if she's just focused on a film career all these years. 

JLO is an interesting case: in that she established her acting career before going into the music route.  Some actors/singers  dabble in both but they pull out from one or the other or find it difficult to juggle both simultaneously  (Beyoncee, Justin Timberlake, Mariah Carey, George Strait, etc with different levels of success).

Of the younger ones, one could count on Haillee Steinfeld as the best dual threat, and of course Justin Timberlake, but again it's fairly rare to keep both going for so long.

Love her or hate her, one can't deny she is an icon, JLO is a brand.

I remember she  had the #1 movie and the #1 album simultaneously around 1999 or 2000, so yeah, she never became a prestigious actress in the Meryl Streep vein, but TBH she's had a film career AND a music career spanning 20 years each and she still has leading roles.   Part of it is she's not a white male actor who can get lots of chances even with misfires,  (Sue me,  I liked  "The Cell") so most women actors don't get that many opportunities past a certain point.   Still, getting 20 years of Rom/coms is sorta impressive, I mean she can still pull them off.   

TBH, wouldn't be surprised if in the future she gets offered a few choice character roles, but with her I get the impression her acting career is just one of several things she is managing. 

• Love 3
On 4/6/2022 at 8:04 PM, caracas1914 said:

I remember she  had the #1 movie and the #1 album simultaneously around 1999 or 2000

I still find that so cool, and she’s still the only entertainer to do that, 21 years later. It was in 2001, fyi.

TBH she's had a film career AND a music career spanning 20 years each and she still has leading roles.

Yeah, that’s nothing to sneeze at considering the industry. She’s worked hard to get where she is, and she didn’t come from money. I respect the hustle.

• Love 4

Walker Scobell (The Adam Project) got scooped up by Disney Plus to play Percy Jackson.

He's adorable and funny. I hope Hollywood doesn't eat him alive. Let's hope he stays grounded like Jacob Tremblay did.

Although Jacob is still only 15 so there's still plenty of time for a possible child star implosion. He hasn't been showing the warning signs though like Millie Bobby Brown has, though. I do think in Jacob Tremblay's case, he's been riding out the "awkward stage" by doing a ton of voice work, which is incredibly smart. I doubt he wants to play an 11-year old at his age. Hollywood, in general, will cast the 18-year old to play 15/16 most of the time, especially boys.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 3

Maybe I'm nuancing it , but the difference with JLO is that she was dissing some of her fellow female actors, so there's a difference between that and knocking your movie or producer or writers on a project  or even  getting a reputation of being difficult to work with on set.   While I'm sure that interview didn't make her look good but it's hard to believe that derailed her career all by itself.    Also it's not as if she's just focused on a film career all these years. 

JLO is an interesting case: in that she established her acting career before going into the music route.  Some actors/singers  dabble in both but they pull out from one or the other or find it difficult to juggle both simultaneously  (Beyoncee, Justin Timberlake, Mariah Carey, George Strait, etc with different levels of success).

Of the younger ones, one could count on Haillee Steinfeld as the best dual threat, and of course Justin Timberlake, but again it's fairly rare to keep both going for so long.

Love her or hate her, one can't deny she is an icon, JLO is a brand.

I remember she  had the #1 movie and the #1 album simultaneously around 1999 or 2000, so yeah, she never became a prestigious actress in the Meryl Streep vein, but TBH she's had a film career AND a music career spanning 20 years each and she still has leading roles.   Part of it is she's not a white male actor who can get lots of chances even with misfires,  (Sue me,  I liked  "The Cell") so most women actors don't get that many opportunities past a certain point.   Still, getting 20 years of Rom/coms is sorta impressive, I mean she can still pull them off.   

TBH, wouldn't be surprised if in the future she gets offered a few choice character roles, but with her I get the impression her acting career is just one of several things she is managing. 

I was a bit surprised when she successfully made the transition, but she hooked up with good producers and she initially worked as a dancer, so that helps with live shows. I often wonder if the rise in JLO lead to Janet Jackson's star diminishing a bit as she too was an actor that turned to singing and they are relatively the same age. Janet is an icon in her own right, but it feels like Hollywood can only focus on one actor/singer of color. 

• Love 1